PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Story on NDSU from CBS Sports

FordhamFan
October 29th, 2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24156447/no-fbs-fcs-north-dakota-state-is-fbs-top-25-caliber

Dennis Dodd of CBS sports writes what I thought was an awesome piece on the FCS juggernaut. What's everyone else think?

gumby013
October 29th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Good stuff. He actually did some homework.

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Good read. Interesting comments on it also.

RichH2
October 29th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Impressive article. Well deserved by NDSU.

Thundar
October 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
it's amazing what beating K-State on a National Prime time game will do.

without that game I doubt any of the press NDSU is/has been getting would have happened.

its been a great season hopefully we can cap it off in Frisco again

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
How soon until lakes posts this on panthernation, redzone, gsufans, etc?

He's going to have a busy day

BisonBacker
October 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
How soon until lakes posts this on panthernation, redzone, gsufans, etc?

He's going to have a busy day

Boy isn't that the truth. He hasn't seen his own Junk for years. His chest is to busy being puffed up he can't see it!

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Bohl is 5-2 playing "up." That leads to the next logical conclusion. He should be on a lot of FBS Ads' short lists.

Three words: "Bo Pellini's Replacement."

dewey
October 29th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Good article and thanks for posting it. It has certainly been a great few years to be a Bison fan. However the success of the last few years is certainly not unheard of at NDSU. I remember reading somewhere that NDSU has had 3 losing seasons in the last 50 years and have won 10 National Titles not to mention numerous deep playoff runs.

I am glad that FCS is getting some publicity as there are good football teams in the FCS as well as D2, D3 and NAIA.

Go Bison!

Dewey

TigerFen
October 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I am really impressed by NDSU and their success. The scary thing is they aren't leaving any time soon. This article gets FCS and is well written. I kind of wish Towson could have anywhere near that level of success soon.

deez_na
October 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Excellent Story, Go Bison!

chattownmocs
October 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
The guy makes this statement "Eastern Washington became the 4th FCS program to beat a top 25 FBS team." Of course this is a miniscule number. It complete destroys his entire article. Couple It with this gem of a stat. "North Dakota State has won 6 times by 6 or fewer." End of argument. NDSU has not beaten any FBS teams teams who had a good season, Kansas State is bad. NDSUs FBS record doesn't suggest they are a top 25 team. Their FCS record certainly does not. None of this even takes into account that FBS teams don't take FCS teams seriously, anyone with a brain can see this. Their basic style of play is definitely not a positive for their ability to compete in A BCS conference, it cripples it. Couple it with the fact that they can't win a recruiting battle against BCS schools and you have an obvious case of terrible journalism.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2013, 01:25 PM
The guy makes this statement "Eastern Washington became the 4th FCS program to beat a top 25 FBS team." Of course this is a miniscule number. It complete destroys his entire article. Couple It with this gem of a stat. "North Dakota State has won 6 times by 6 or fewer." End of argument. NDSU has not beaten any FBS teams teams who had a good season, Kansas State is bad. NDSUs FBS record doesn't suggest they are a top 25 team. Their FCS record certainly does not. None of this even takes into account that FBS teams don't take FCS teams seriously, anyone with a brain can see this. Their basic style of play is definitely not a positive for their ability to compete in A BCS conference, it cripples it. Couple it with the fact that they can't win a recruiting battle against BCS schools and you have an obvious case of terrible journalism.

NDSU would be -26 against UTC

Green1
October 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM

Gosh, I was feeling pretty good about FCS football and my team until I read this. I guess we have a lot of work to do... xsmhx

chattownmocs
October 29th, 2013, 01:30 PM
His scholarship comparison with USC is hilarious as well. USC recruits at the very highest level and their scholarship reduction has crippled them. What a terrible argument, they sign top 5 national classes and they don't have the depth. Even with hindsight being 20/20, seeing that NDSUs players were definitely underrated out of high school, how many would USC recruit knowing that? 2? 3? 4? 0?

chattownmocs
October 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
NDSU would be -26 against UTC

Exactly any top 25 team would be at least -35

citdog
October 29th, 2013, 01:39 PM

http://www.darowski.com/tracesofinspiration/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/twitter-douchebag1.jpg

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Gosh, I was feeling pretty good about FCS football and my team until I read this. I guess we have a lot of work to do... xsmhx

Don't worry. His FCS team is **** so he carries water for FBS here.

IBleedYellow
October 29th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Very enjoyable article to read! Now we just need to keep this dream rolling all the way into Frisco so we can drink them dry of beer, again. While putting another trophy on the shelves, of course!

I'm pretty pumped knowing that the Baseball stadium trusts us enough to allow us on the field the next time we have our pep rally down there. (I bet SHSU players and fans can still see our fireworks and hear our cheers from their hotel rooms from that night!)

This article also points a huge topic out that I believe we hold true: NDSU runs the program to be the best. Many people find us fans to be cocky, but you know what, it's what we expect. I've grown up a Bison fan for 23 years now and all 23 of them I've known the NDSU Bison to be winners. We have tradition that many of you guys enjoyed poking fun at (IE: "8 Division II titles don't matter!!"). The best part is, many of our fans talked smack and said North Dakota State has one goal: Play tough smash mouth football where our main concern is getting Valley and National Titles and everyone said "Calm down little Division II school, we're the big boys." Which is exactly what happened. I for one know that we up here in the Northern states have a pride of work ethic, just like Montana. We play to win. Now the rest of the division needs to rise up so we can make this division that much better. (Next year after we Threepeat, please! ;) )

TennBison
October 29th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Maybe you have not kept up with Bison football, we don't need to win recruiting battles against BCS schools. We take the talent that they completely miss by passing over them and turn them into champions. Have you seen the players we get from surrounding states, look at our players from MN, Kill and Brewster whiffed on all of them.
Then again, maybe your just mad bro.

Bisonator
October 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24156447/no-fbs-fcs-north-dakota-state-is-fbs-top-25-caliber

Dennis Dodd of CBS sports writes what I thought was an awesome piece on the FCS juggernaut. What's everyone else think?

Nice read, thanks for posting the link!

Thundar
October 29th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Maybe you have not kept up with Bison football, we don't need to win recruiting battles against BCS schools. We take the talent that they completely miss by passing over them and turn them into champions. Have you seen the players we get from surrounding states, look at our players from MN, Kill and Brewster whiffed on all of them.
Then again, maybe your just mad bro.

and we have beat BCS schools for recruits

Yotes
October 29th, 2013, 03:32 PM
The success up at NDSU is unprecedented, and kind of hard to believe after living around here my whole life. I still have to say though, I really doubt they'd be a top 25 team if they were FBS with the current roster. If NDSU was classified FBS and had the scholarships I'd buy it, but no way this current roster finishes with a winning record up there.

HerdNugget9000
October 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Great to see Lakes making new friends:

"scrappyCoco
just now

No. Just No. Lay off the crack pipe buddy. There is a huge difference between being confident and being high. you sir, have crossed the line. Please visit a rehab clinic."

Green1
October 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
The success up at NDSU is unprecedented, and kind of hard to believe after living around here my whole life. I still have to say though, I really doubt they'd be a top 25 team if they were FBS with the current roster. If NDSU was classified FBS and had the scholarships I'd buy it, but no way this current roster finishes with a winning record up there.

I disagree. I think NDSU could be atop a couple of FBS conferences.

gotts
October 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM

You know you've got that something special when you make people wish you'd get hit by a car some days :D

Darlinikki150
October 29th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the post, great read.

kbswish22
October 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Kansas State is bad? They have lost three close games, two on the road, to Texas (fumbled at the two yd line late), Baylor, and OK State. They are the only team that has remotely given Baylor a game. They didn't have their two best WRs that played against NDSU due to injury. NDSU beat KSU on the road without NDSU's best DT by dominating yards (41rushing yards for KSU) and TOP and despite dropping a TD pass.

NDSU beat Missouri State by more than Iowa did. UNI is the only team since KSU that has played NDSU close and UNI beat an admittedly terrible ISU team on the road.

Oregon State is good enough that they are receiving votes despite losing at home to EWU (only other loss is by 8 to Stanford). EWU is good but it is pretty likely NDSU is better. Oregon state is a 5.5 point favorite over the mighty USC trojans this weekend.

I'm not saying NDSU is a top 25 team this year, but its pretty small minded to dismiss the notion as ludicrous that an 8-0 team with a Big 12 road win, in the best or close to the best FCS conference, that starts tons of juniors and seniors that have more experience than any other team in the country could at least potentially be one of the top 25 teams. I think NDSU is probably about 35 but I don't know for sure and neither does Chattown.

TennBison
October 29th, 2013, 04:01 PM
and we have beat BCS schools for recruits
Yes we have, we are going to Stick it to them.

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2013, 04:06 PM

The butthurt is strong in this one. Let the hurt run through you---let it go---

aces1180
October 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
The butthurt is strong in this one. Let the hurt run through you---let it go---

I see _arrel posted a link to this story on SS.com (under a dance team thread...WTF?) with a huge side of butthurt as well. It must really suck to suck.

Great story, especially coming from Dodd, who is one of the most-respected college football pundits in the nation.

Yotes
October 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I disagree. I think NDSU could be atop a couple of FBS conferences.
NDSU can win the one-offs at the beginning of the year against FBS teams that don't take it seriously, but it's a long season. Any injuries and you guys would be toast up there. The current team with 22 more scholarship players would probably win you the non-power conferences and put you in the top half in the power conferences, but as it stands I just don't think the team would last a whole season.

What's the consensus around here? Is this kind of success at all sustainable, or has Bohl really caught lightning in a bottle here? The last time a FCS team went the whole season untouched was Marshall back in 96 (Montana and Appalachian State did go undefeated against FCS competition in 01 and 06), are the Bison going to be the first team in almost 20 years to repeat that feat? It'll be interesting to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a letdown and come back down to Earth some in the next few years.

kbswish22
October 29th, 2013, 04:38 PM
NDSU can win the one-offs at the beginning of the year against FBS teams that don't take it seriously, but it's a long season. Any injuries and you guys would be toast up there. The current team with 22 more scholarship players would probably win you the non-power conferences and put you in the top half in the power conferences, but as it stands I just don't think the team would last a whole season.

What's the consensus around here? Is this kind of success at all sustainable, or has Bohl really caught lightning in a bottle here? The last time a FCS team went the whole season untouched was Marshall back in 96 (Montana and Appalachian State did go undefeated against FCS competition in 01 and 06), are the Bison going to be the first team in almost 20 years to repeat that feat? It'll be interesting to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a letdown and come back down to Earth some in the next few years.

I think NDSU will continue to be very good and be at least in contention for conference and national titles on a fairly regular basis. But, no, I don't think being this good every year is sustainable. NDSU has some talent coming back but its hard not to see a drop off with Jensen, Ojuri, Smith, Turner, Gimmestad, Perry, Drevlow, Jirik, Olson, and Williams all leaving. I think this particular team is on a different level.

Da Bison
October 29th, 2013, 04:39 PM
http://www.darowski.com/tracesofinspiration/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/twitter-douchebag1.jpg

I'm confused............Are you implying that chattown is the bag or the nozzel?????:D

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Wow that a bold prediction.xthumbsupx

Yotes
October 29th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Wow that a bold prediction.xthumbsupx
Teams in the middle of Butt****, Nowhere are not supposed to be dominant like this. Not at all. You guys weren't winning conference titles before moving up, only captured one Great West title, and had two unimpressive seasons in the Valley before suddenly shooting up and competing for a three-peat. Not saying 8 loss seasons are in your future again, but winning the Valley once every two or three years with a NC once a decade is a more likely spot for you guys to be in the long term.

Twentysix
October 29th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Being in the middle of nowhere is beneficial, it keeps the BCS schools away from our recruits. They don't waste the time or money checking out kids from MN WI ND SD NE unless the kid is like 5 star.

You must not have lived through the 80s as a yotes fan, lol.

Conference championships in the NCC with USD: '64 '65 '66 '67 '68 '69 '70 '72 '73 '74 '76 '77 '81 '82 '83 '84 '85 '86 '88 '90 '91 '92 '94 That is pretty damn close to every year for 30 years.

semobison
October 29th, 2013, 05:17 PM
As a somewhat old timer I am not surprised what our football team had done these past few years. Yes, 3 losing seasons since 1964. There are some people that argue that our mid 60's teams could have been top 25 nationally! Here is a look at our 10 win teams or undefeated teams.

1964 10-1
1965 11-0
1967 9-0
1968 10-0
1969 10-0
1970 9-0-1

1981 10-3
1982 12-1
1983 12-1
1984 11-2
1985 11-2-1
1986 13-0
1988 14-0
1990 14-0
1992 10-2
1995 10-3

2000 12-2
2006 10-1
2007 10-1
2011 14-1
2012 14-1

Winning football games is nothing new for this Bison fan!

Darlinikki150
October 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Teams in the middle of Butt****, Nowhere are not supposed to be dominant like this. Not at all. You guys weren't winning conference titles before moving up, only captured one Great West title, and had two unimpressive seasons in the Valley before suddenly shooting up and competing for a three-peat. Not saying 8 loss seasons are in your future again, but winning the Valley once every two or three years with a NC once a decade is a more likely spot for you guys to be in the long term.

This coming from a Yotes fan is hilarious. Get a grip, we have a good program, we recruit well and we aren't going anywhere.

blueballs
October 29th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Nice write up and publicity for the Bizon... well deserved.

If any of you jealous supporters of other teams want the accolades for NDSU to stop there is an easy way to make that happen: beat them, especially in a playoff game.

IBleedYellow
October 29th, 2013, 05:41 PM

If *big IF* NDSU was FBS we would be funding 22 more scholarships tomorrow. In actually 44 scholarships, but still. They would be funded.

Professor Chaos
October 29th, 2013, 05:52 PM
"We've never experienced such friendly drunks," Viverito recalled being told by one of those officials.
Now that's funny right there.

Thundar
October 29th, 2013, 05:53 PM

and nd you have been un impressive for 20 yrs, what's your point?

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM

We were dominate in D2 also. Of course we had some down years where we didnt win the NC. But did win the NCC many many times. Over the past 40-50 years I think we have only had 3-4 losing seasons. Thats a pretty good consistent history.

frozennorth
October 29th, 2013, 06:19 PM
so i think we've established who chattownmocs will be trolling with asu and gsu gone

DJKyR0
October 29th, 2013, 06:37 PM

Mistakes in this post:
1.) Thinking that location definitively hinders championship contention, especially in the FCS
2.) Labeling Fargo as "Butt****, Nowhere. What does that make Vermillion?
3.) NDSU had 26 conference championships prior to moving up to DI.
4.) Since when does NDSU follow the trend of other lowly schools, anyway?

Post less.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2013, 06:38 PM
and nd you have been un impressive for 20 yrs, what's your point?

27 to be exact. 20 is how many they lost the 1986 NC game by.

NDSU1980
October 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I loved that article. This is truly a great time to be a Bison fan.

Yotes
October 29th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Mistakes in this post:
1.) Thinking that location definitively hinders championship contention, especially in the FCS
2.) Labeling Fargo as "Butt****, Nowhere. What does that make Vermillion?
3.) NDSU had 26 conference championships prior to moving up to DI.
4.) Since when does NDSU follow the trend of other lowly schools, anyway?

Post less.
Did I ever once say that USD, or any Dakota school, is expected to have this unprecedented success? No. I'm just of the thought that this run is likely one hell of an anomaly. You won a ton of conference titles in D-2 with rosters full of local kids, and I just don't see you winning a ton of conference titles in the FCS with those same local kids. It was a lot easier to win the NCC (as tough as it was for a D2 conference), winning the NCC basically meant being the top Dakota school and beating UNO and UNC (who never had the success the Dakotas did). In the MVFC you have to go up against much more rich talent beds, it's a lot more than beating Dakota schools who are playing with the same kind of players you are.

I don't root against NDSU, I think that their success is good for anyone associated with them. It will take incredible coaching to keep the program at the top of the national landscape if they continue to subsist solely on local kids. I don't see Bohl coaching anywhere else, but if does leave I hope you have someone great waiting in the wings.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 29th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Did I ever once say that USD, or any Dakota school, is expected to have this unprecedented success? No. I'm just of the thought that this run is likely one hell of an anomaly. You won a ton of conference titles in D-2 with rosters full of local kids, and I just don't see you winning a ton of conference titles in the FCS with those same local kids. It was a lot easier to win the NCC (as tough as it was for a D2 conference), winning the NCC basically meant being the top Dakota school and beating UNO and UNC (who never had the success the Dakotas did). In the MVFC you have to go up against much more rich talent beds, it's a lot more than beating Dakota schools who are playing with the same kind of players you are.

I don't root against NDSU, I think that their success is good for anyone associated with them. It will take incredible coaching to keep the program at the top of the national landscape if they continue to subsist solely on local kids. I don't see Bohl coaching anywhere else, but if does leave I hope you have someone great waiting in the wings.

The majority of kids that are starting are within a 5 hr drive of Fargo. That's local enough.

NDSU is a top notch program and always has been. There was never a doubt that the resources, talent, energy, and fan support would drive NDSU to the top of its division. They are here to stay.

Bisonoline
October 29th, 2013, 08:15 PM

UNO and UNC???? UNI was in the NCC also. Now I know why your knowledge and history is incomplete. Local kids? We had players from TX back in the 70s. Geez. Everything you just posted was said when we moved up. So your rhetoric is pretty old and hasnt proven truthful so far. I am sure if you wait long enough we will have a down year and then you do the I told you so.

Scooter
October 29th, 2013, 10:07 PM
I thought it was a good article and pretty complimentary of the top tier teams in the FCS. IMO there are quite a few teams in the FCS that could make a run in the playoffs if they get hot. Towson, Maine, E Washington, Montana St, Montana, Youngstown, SHSU, E Illinois, Samford (ok fordham and coastal carolina) There is a lot of good football in FCS, and we haven't even gotten to UNI, SDSU, Delaware, JMU, Villinova, New Hampshire, S Illinois, Tenn St, N Arizona, Lehigh, Harvard, William and Mary, Wofford, UND...no Notre Dame is independent FBS, sorry. (just for you, _arrel) Sure NDSU is on top right now and probably will be in the top tier for the forseeable future, but there are a ton of teams that have the potential to win a NC in FCS.

IMO Georgia Southern and App State may regret their move in a few years. I hope they don't but fear they may.

yeah, I know Harvard won't win a NC. but they are a good fcs team.

NDSUstudent
October 29th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I thought it was a good article and pretty complimentary of the top tier teams in the FCS. IMO there are quite a few teams in the FCS that could make a run in the playoffs if they get hot. Towson, Maine, E Washington, Montana St, Montana, Youngstown, SHSU, E Illinois, Samford (ok fordham and coastal carolina) There is a lot of good football in FCS, and we haven't even gotten to UNI, SDSU, Delaware, JMU, Villinova, New Hampshire, S Illinois, Tenn St, N Arizona, Lehigh, Harvard, William and Mary, Wofford, UND...no Notre Dame is independent FBS, sorry. (just for you, _arrel) Sure NDSU is on top right now and probably will be in the top tier for the forseeable future, but there are a ton of teams that have the potential to win a NC in FCS.

IMO Georgia Southern and App State may regret their move in a few years. I hope they don't but fear they may.

yeah, I know Harvard won't win a NC. but they are a good fcs team.

lol Darrel is in all out meltdown mode right now:

Nothing says Top 25 like beating an FBS team with a losing record (again) by 3 points on a last minute drive. So delusional.

Not to mention crushing the likes of Colorado State, Minnesota, Kansas, and the mighty MAC teams. They are Big 10/SEC caliber now. Watch out Nick Saban.

aces1180
October 29th, 2013, 11:00 PM
lol Darrel is in all out meltdown mode right now:

Remind me, how many FBS wins does UN_ have again? Remember, moral victories don't count.

I'll hang up and listen.

Darlinikki150
October 29th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Don't pick on Darell, at least he cares about FCS football even tho he might be cheering for the wrong team!

Nothing but love Darell, nothing but love lol

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 29th, 2013, 11:20 PM
NDSU is no Lehigh, but that was still a good article to read.

Congrats on the national attention you guys have earned it on the field.

smallcollegefbfan
October 29th, 2013, 11:45 PM
it's amazing what beating K-State on a National Prime time game will do.

without that game I doubt any of the press NDSU is/has been getting would have happened.

its been a great season hopefully we can cap it off in Frisco again

It's like I always said. The country doesn't care about the small schools. A regular season win over KSU will do more for NDSU than winning 3 FCS titles could ever do. Just ask App State about that. Michigan did more for them than all of their national titles put together. Everyone in the BCS takes notice when you beat a ranked BCS team and nobody notices when you pound #8 in the FCS by 20 points.

smallcollegefbfan
October 29th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Don't pick on Darell, at least he cares about FCS football even tho he might be cheering for the wrong team!

Nothing but love Darell, nothing but love lol

Wow I love seeing football loving females on the board! Even more impressive when you talk junk with the best of us! Women are very much underrated football fans! lol

Darlinikki150
October 30th, 2013, 12:17 AM
Wow I love seeing football loving females on the board! Even more impressive when you talk junk with the best of us! Women are very much underrated football fans! lol

This nothing, Kitty fans were relentness last year before the NC game. Citidog gets digs in too. No worries, I work in manufacturing; I'm used to sexist idiots. Its all about the game come Saturday my friend. I love this site, can't wait to get my T-shirt and put up a new pic lol

smallcollegefbfan
October 30th, 2013, 12:30 AM
This nothing, Kitty fans were relentness last year before the NC game. Citidog gets digs in too. No worries, I work in manufacturing; I'm used to sexist idiots. Its all about the game come Saturday my friend. I love this site, can't wait to get my T-shirt and put up a new pic lol

Ouch I hate to hear that. Yes, many can be sexist. Actually, I see a lot of sexist idiots everyday but am glad to see when a woman knows football! It's fun talking football with you ladies and I have actually met some great women on the road this year who I would hire in a heartbeat. In fact, my next hire is going to be a female because women are more organized and detailed, for the most part, than men. I have also met some women who really know football and it's nice to see that! There are many out there but I'm always glad to see more and more! In my dealings in the NFL I have yet to see a female who is a NFL scout or who goes out and scouts. I would love to find one! I'm actually trying to talk this young lady who plays soccer in HS to kick. Her brother was an All-American who played for me in one of my bowl games and I told her if she played and was good I'd make her the first female high school All-America Game invite. I told her she had to be legit and as good as the guys but if she was that she knows me so she has an "in" with it and I'd help her make history! I have not seen you post in most of the threads I post in but I'm glad to see ladies on here! I know GreatAppSt's wife has posted on here but we need more of you ladies!

Yotes
October 30th, 2013, 12:44 AM
UNO and UNC???? UNI was in the NCC also. Now I know why your knowledge and history is incomplete. Local kids? We had players from TX back in the 70s. Geez. Everything you just posted was said when we moved up. So your rhetoric is pretty old and hasnt proven truthful so far. I am sure if you wait long enough we will have a down year and then you do the I told you so.
My rhetoric is old? You're talking about things from the 70s. UNI left the NCC like 25 years before NDSU left, and having TX players maaaany years ago hardly seems relevant. All I hear now is how you guys want local kids and nothing else, something changed along the way there. Nebraska was a really dominant team with local kids once upon a time too, but the legendary coaches left and mediocrity set in. I stand by my statement that impeccable coaching is going to be the only thing that would keep you guys at the top of the national landscape in the long term, not going to be able to just coast on the natural talent lying around like schools in more populated areas can.

Darlinikki150
October 30th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Lol simmer down SmallCollege, I'm blushing! I love football but I'm certainly not an expert. Now if you wanna talk basketball, I will certainly school your ass lol.

You sound like a good guy,like 99% of the guys here. I always get a laugh or learn somn when I'm checking out the threads.

Go Bison or go home! Kisses!

smallcollegefbfan
October 30th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Lol simmer down SmallCollege, I'm blushing! I love football but I'm certainly not an expert. Now if you wanna talk basketball, I will certainly school your ass lol.

You sound like a good guy,like 99% of the guys here. I always get a laugh or learn somn when I'm checking out the threads.

LOL. I am a basketball guy myself! nothing better than the NCAA Tourney! Just don't tell all my NFL buddies that! Most don't know I'm a closet basketball freak! I was a better basketball player but things just turned out that I was asked to scout football and have been doing it for about 12 years now. If you got any NBA connections, let them know I'm willing to scout basketball as well!

And don't blush. Don't you know there is no blushing in football? Or is that crying in baseball? I get them confused haha

Bisonoline
October 30th, 2013, 12:54 AM
My rhetoric is old? You're talking about things from the 70s. UNI left the NCC like 25 years before NDSU left, and having TX players maaaany years ago hardly seems relevant. All I hear now is how you guys want local kids and nothing else, something changed along the way there. Nebraska was a really dominant team with local kids once upon a time too, but the legendary coaches left and mediocrity set in. I stand by my statement that impeccable coaching is going to be the only thing that would keep you guys at the top of the national landscape in the long term, not going to be able to just coast on the natural talent lying around like schools in more populated areas can.

Its relevant because NDSU has been recruiting out of state for years. Not just local kids as you stated. Dont listen to the fans on the recruiting. Look what the coaching staff is doing. They recruit all over.
The old rhetoric---as I said you are saying the same crap weve been hearing for years about how we wont be successful etc etc. Guess what? Look at our history and let go of your preconceived notions.

Now you being a yote fan I can see why you have the mind set you do. But NDSU and USD are worlds apart.

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2013, 01:44 AM

Wow!
You guys have a basketball team?

Vitojr130
October 30th, 2013, 01:56 AM

This is completely wrong, but thanks for trying.

Darlinikki150
October 30th, 2013, 02:04 AM
Wow!

Yep and guess what? They were voted #1 in the pre season poll. We are just so good in so many sports its tough to keep up.

And I'm more than just Bison basketball fan, go Duke, go Celtics, and go Nets now that my boy Garnett is playing there. Holla!

citdog
October 30th, 2013, 02:18 AM
LOL. I am a basketball guy myself! nothing better than the NCAA Tourney! Just don't tell all my NFL buddies that! Most don't know I'm a closet basketball freak! I was a better basketball player but things just turned out that I was asked to scout football and have been doing it for about 12 years now. If you got any NBA connections, let them know I'm willing to scout basketball as well!

And don't blush. Don't you know there is no blushing in football? Or is that crying in baseball? I get them confused haha

WHICH one of y'all is a girl again?

Yotes
October 30th, 2013, 03:09 AM
This is completely wrong, but thanks for trying.
Last share of the NCC title in 94 before leaving in 03, won the Great West in 06, overall records of 6-5 and 3-8 in your first two years of MVFC play, followed by a good year in 2010 and then two NCs. What part of that statement was completely wrong? You guys did go 15 years with only one conference title (Great West) very recently.

Seems to me that the reason for your resurgence is Craig Bohl and his unreal coaching talent. I think you should be eternally grateful that he not only came in and righted things, but has stayed too. That is the point I've been trying to make. Craig Bohl is a damn legend, and without said legend you guys might not be much better off than you were before he got to Fargo. It will take absolute top of the line coaching talent to keep NDSU among the FCS elite consistently, Bohl delivers that as he could easily be head coach at good BCS schools (Nebraska should have never run him out of town). As long as he's there you guys will be great, but who knows how much longer that will be. Without a Bohl esque coach I just can't see NDSU having the unreal success they are right now.

TennBison
October 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Wow!
Yeah, they have balls and everything. Just got new shorts five years ago, good as new.

GABison
October 30th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Last share of the NCC title in 94 before leaving in 03, won the Great West in 06, overall records of 6-5 and 3-8 in your first two years of MVFC play, followed by a good year in 2010 and then two NCs. What part of that statement was completely wrong? You guys did go 15 years with only one conference title (Great West) very recently.

Seems to me that the reason for your resurgence is Craig Bohl and his unreal coaching talent. I think you should be eternally grateful that he not only came in and righted things, but has stayed too. That is the point I've been trying to make. Craig Bohl is a damn legend, and without said legend you guys might not be much better off than you were before he got to Fargo. It will take absolute top of the line coaching talent to keep NDSU among the FCS elite consistently, Bohl delivers that as he could easily be head coach at good BCS schools (Nebraska should have never run him out of town). As long as he's there you guys will be great, but who knows how much longer that will be. Without a Bohl esque coach I just can't see NDSU having the unreal success they are right now.

So we've won 10 national football titles with, what, 6 different coaches? What makes you think that our football success will not continue without Bohl? He's a great coach, but one of many. Our PROGRAM is successful. Sure we have our down years, with the most recent being when Bohl was our coach.

It bothered me just a tish when the ESPN announcers leading up to the 2011 championship game said we haven't won a title since 1990, as if that was some kind of travesty. I would say a vast majority of colleges/universities never get a sniff of being a national champion in ANY sport.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2013, 09:14 AM
NDSU has a primary recruiting base from ND, SD, MN, WI, NE, KS, and IL. If you want to call those "local" players go ahead but there's plenty to choose from and many metro areas in those states. I agree that sustaining the level of success of the last 3 years will be impossible but I don't think it's a stretch to say NDSU will be a contender every year in the MVFC except for a few outliers here and there with or without Bohl here. Fan support is at an all time high and national exposure is all time high. That leads to an unprecedented level of excitement around the program which I think will help carry it through the inevitable downturn we'll see either next year or the year after. However, even after that downturn I'd expect a team capable of winning the conference almost every year and a national title threat (threat not favorite) more often than not based on the recruiting inroads and program support that have been built over the last few years.

344Johnson
October 30th, 2013, 10:04 AM

if you want to look at '94-'03 and say only one conference title, why don't you look at the 30 years before '94 and let us know how many conference titles you see.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 10:11 AM
if you want to look at '94-'03 and say only one conference title, why don't you look at the 30 years before '94 and let us know how many conference titles you see.

To be fair, it was only 17. I mean that's not many, is it?

I for one am finding a **** talking Coyotes fan to be quite fascinating.

Bisonator
October 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Yotes,

I'm not sure where your coming from or going to with your comments. Yes, NDSU will have down years as every team does from time to time. I don't see anyone saying differently. Yes, Coach Bohl is a tremendous coach and has assembled one of the finest staffs in college football. Great coaching does go along way but it's only one piece of the puzzle. Coaching comes and goes just like the players. You need several things to be a winning program: Coaching, recruitment, funding, and the most important piece IMO is a commitment to the program from the entire school. That commitment is one of the main reasons why some schools have tremendous tradition over vast time periods while some are flash in the pan so to speak. At NDSU football has that commitment and has had it since the early '60s. That will not change whether we win another championship this year or 20 years from now!

Bison56
October 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM

Well they have won a couple games now.

344Johnson
October 30th, 2013, 10:16 AM

So over half the time 'SU was the strongest team in the strongest DII conference in the country? And without Coach Bohl on the sidelines? Holy!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Everybody recognizes Darrell Mudra as being the architect of the resurgence in Bison football in the 1960's. Here are the coaching records for everyone since then.

Darrell "Dan" Mudra (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=1689)

Ron Erhardt (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3650)

Ev Kjelbertson (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3653)

Jim Wacker (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=2403)

Don Morton (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=1678)

Earle Solomonson (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3660)

R.E. "Rocky" Hager (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3627)

Bob Babich (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3644)

Craig Bohl (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3646)

Look at those win %s. See a pattern? That's over 50 years.

Southern Bison
October 30th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Yep and guess what? They were voted #1 in the pre season poll. We are just so good in so many sports its tough to keep up.

And I'm more than just Bison basketball fan, go Duke, go Celtics, and go Nets now that my boy Garnett is playing there. Holla!

Duke? Really??? xnonox Bison fans have better sense than being a fan of the "school of floppers".

MplsBison
October 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM
It's very easy for someone outside the program to notice that Bohl was the DC at Nebraska and assume he must be a shoe-in for that job.

Short answer: nope.

What you don't know, you don't know.

Professor Chaos
October 30th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Everybody recognizes Darrell Mudra as being the architect of the resurgence in Bison football in the 1960's. Here are the coaching records for everyone since then.

Darrell "Dan" Mudra (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=1689)

Ron Erhardt (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3650)

Ev Kjelbertson (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3653)

Jim Wacker (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=2403)

Don Morton (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=1678)

Earle Solomonson (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3660)

R.E. "Rocky" Hager (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3627)

Bob Babich (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3644)

Craig Bohl (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=3646)

Fixed it your you xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Fixed it your you xthumbsupx

I guess CFB Warehouse doesn't update in real time.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM

Pattern?

You guys don't play anyone, that's the pattern...........................................

I just wanted to see what it was like to be a jealous UND fan....................gonna go shower now.

Fordham
October 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
GREAT story! Congrats Bison fans and well done on giving the FCS some of it's best national coverage since the Michigan game

NoDak 4 Ever
October 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Pattern?

You guys don't play anyone, that's the pattern...........................................

I just wanted to see what it was like to be a jealous UND fan....................gonna go shower now.

Funny, the Whioux fans here have been replaced by chattown. Didn't expect that.

Twentysix
October 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1382060_10152007956239532_1433364842_n.jpg

Life could be worse xcoolx