PDA

View Full Version : FCS Owns Penn State

LehighU11
October 28th, 2013, 10:19 PM
After PSU's hilarious 63-14 beatdown at Ohio State this past Saturday night, SportsCenter put up an interesting summary of Penn State's largest margins of defeat. The Buckeyes managed to move into the top 5, where they are joined by 4 current FCS programs. A pair of Ivies, Duquesne, and (shameless plug) Lehigh make it to the list. Lehigh tops the list with their 106-0 win in 1889. It's always great to see a Big 10 or Big 12 program fall to an FCS program, but it's even better to know that it's been happening for over a century.

To be fair, we likely owed our friends over at Lafayette for beating Joe Paterno's first team up a bit, as well as a bit of extortion on our part. Here's a detailed description of "The Lehigh Lashing": http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/6/28/651622/penn-state-history-the-lehigh

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1378895_10151948452195238_1405686696_n.jpg

Yotes
October 28th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah, and USD beat Nebraska and Minnesota once upon a time (beat them again in modern times too though). Nebraska even played in Vermillion once, something that is unfathomable today. College football was very strange over a century ago.

Go Green
October 29th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Yeah, and USD beat Nebraska and Minnesota once upon a time (beat them again in modern times too though). Nebraska even played in Vermillion once, something that is unfathomable today. College football was very strange over a century ago.

According to the history books, Ivy teams used to win national championships every year. :)

TennBison
October 29th, 2013, 07:20 AM
According to the history books, Ivy teams used to win national championships every year. :)
So did the military academies, back in the 1901's places like Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and such in the midwest were not much different than the NDSU, SDSU, USD, UND of the world. They played quite often, so it was nothing for a team like Nebraska to travel to USD for a game. Football was a young game at the time and most schools went where they could to play a game especially if it was a shorter distance. Hell, looking at the NDSU archives, back close to 100 years ago or so the Bison played a local high school team one year, but there use to only be like 4-6 games a year back then so any competition was probably welcome.

walliver
October 29th, 2013, 08:33 AM
With their current scholarship restrictions, Penn State really is a FCS school playing an FBS schedule.

Engineer86
October 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM
With their current scholarship restrictions, Penn State really is a FCS school playing an FBS schedule.

I think they get a lot of them back next year? There was an announcement about a month ago that some of the penalties were rescinded and they get back a fair amount of scholarships sooner than originally ruled. But this year an next it will certainly have an impact.

HailSzczur
October 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Nova's won their last 3 against PSU 20-14 ('51), 27-6 ('49), and 13-0 ('36). We even beat a Paterno coached team. Granted he was a 2nd year assistant coach.....but he was still a coach.

Nothing brings me more happiness than watching PSU lose. I am not very reserved in my distaste for Penn St....

LehighU11
October 29th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Nova's won their last 3 against PSU 20-14 ('51), 27-6 ('49), and 13-0 ('36). We even beat a Paterno coached team. Granted he was a 2nd year assistant coach.....but he was still a coach.

Nothing brings me more happiness than watching PSU lose. I am not very reserved in my distaste for Penn St....

I'm right with you there. It's an overrated school with an unhealthy obsession with a mediocre football program. Always glad to hear another Shanahan grad voice a negative opinion about PSU.

At a neutral site like the Linc, I bet Nova would have a decent shot at beating Penn State this year.

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I'm right with you there. It's an overrated school with an unhealthy obsession with a mediocre football program. Always glad to hear another Shanahan grad voice a negative opinion about PSU.

At a neutral site like the Linc, I bet Nova would have a decent shot at beating Penn State this year.

US News Ratings are far from perfect, but PSU was ranked higher than Lehigh in the latest release.

PSU football fans are no different that fans at any SEC school, Ohio State, Michigan or any other big time college fooball team.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2013, 04:39 PM
US News Ratings are far from perfect, but PSU was ranked higher than Lehigh in the latest release.

PSU football fans are no different that fans at any SEC school, Ohio State, Michigan or any other big time college fooball team.

I disagree. SEC fans aren't nearly as convinced of their overall moral goodness as PSU fans, even with all the horrifying things that have happened.

PSU fans, flying in the face of every fact, are still basically living in denial about what happened.

ngineer
October 29th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I think touchdowns were worth four points back then, also.

LehighU11
October 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Yes, they were. US News and World Report has one goal: sell as many issues of their annual "rankings". That doesn't happen if schools remain within a 3 place range every year. 5 years ago, PSU was in the upper 50's, behind Pitt, while Lehigh was at 32. PSU is now 37 and Lehigh 41. With Lehigh and other private schools becoming increasingly selective, and LU opening new facilities, there is no reason to place any faith in the US News Rankings. Over 20% of my HS class went on to University Park; perhaps 3-5 out of the 70 could have been admitted to a PL school.

Many students, at least in my generation, choose Penn State because "everyone else is doing it." That mindset is the reason why the majority of their fans stood by the football program and university despite horrible actions, non-existent leadership, and a lack of institutional control. However, I do realize that this type of irrational devotion is not unique to PSU.

HailSzczur
October 29th, 2013, 07:57 PM

There was a strong push among Nova fans wanting us to see if we could host Penn State at PPL during their scholarship ban. Would have been cool if it actually happened.

But if I hear one more person tell me "you wouldn't understand. It's not a football thing, its a Penn State thing"

And don't get me started on the f'ing caners..... Sure its for charity, I get it. But do you have to harass every single motorist in the state as you beg and grovel for money? Could you not come up with fundraisers so resorted to panhandling? And I take major offense when they have the audacity to come onto our campus and stand in front of the Chapel and at 30 and Ithan. Especially when the canning weekend happens to coincide with our University wide day of service.

*steps off soap box*

LehighU11
October 29th, 2013, 09:43 PM
There was a strong push among Nova fans wanting us to see if we could host Penn State at PPL during their scholarship ban. Would have been cool if it actually happened.

But if I hear one more person tell me "you wouldn't understand. It's not a football thing, its a Penn State thing"

And don't get me started on the f'ing caners..... Sure its for charity, I get it. But do you have to harass every single motorist in the state as you beg and grovel for money? Could you not come up with fundraisers so resorted to panhandling? And I take major offense when they have the audacity to come onto our campus and stand in front of the Chapel and at 30 and Ithan. Especially when the canning weekend happens to coincide with our University wide day of service.

*steps off soap box*

At least they didn't erect a statue of that malnourished, mangy lion two blocks from your campus:
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nick-falsone/index.ssf/2013/10/replica_nittany_lion_mascots_s.html

Franks Tanks
October 29th, 2013, 09:53 PM
Yes, they were. US News and World Report has one goal: sell as many issues of their annual "rankings". That doesn't happen if schools remain within a 3 place range every year. 5 years ago, PSU was in the upper 50's, behind Pitt, while Lehigh was at 32. PSU is now 37 and Lehigh 41. With Lehigh and other private schools becoming increasingly selective, and LU opening new facilities, there is no reason to place any faith in the US News Rankings. Over 20% of my HS class went on to University Park; perhaps 3-5 out of the 70 could have been admitted to a PL school.

Many students, at least in my generation, choose Penn State because "everyone else is doing it." That mindset is the reason why the majority of their fans stood by the football program and university despite horrible actions, non-existent leadership, and a lack of institutional control. However, I do realize that this type of irrational devotion is not unique to PSU.

It is possible to support an institution or person while also being critical of certain actions.

KnightoftheRedFlash
October 30th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I think in 1939, PSU didn't offer scholarships but I could be wrong. As an Army and SFPA fan who grew up in the heart of PSU country; Saturday's game was a glorious game.

Daved
October 30th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Witnessed the beatdown in person--PSU would have trouble with quite a few FCS teams.

ngineer
October 30th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Witnessed the beatdown in person--PSU would have trouble with quite a few FCS teams.

I think most of the Big Ten would.