PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing on the Georgia Southern-Furman series

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Well, with the possibility that this is the last game in the series I thought we could review it. To my knowledge this is the only pair of teams that were conference mates for at least some time that played each other in the national championship. Obviously I favor the games that GSU wins but these are IMO my favorite games of the series.

1. 1985 - First national championship. GSC scores 38 points in the last 25 minutes or so of the game clock and wins the championship by 2.

2. 1988 - The other national championship. GSC fumbles deep in Furman territory late and loses the game.

3. 2005 - GSU stays alive for the playoffs and knocks off #1 Furman.

4. 2001 - Furman ends GSU's insanely long home winning streak and becomes the first team to ever beat GSU in Statesboro in the playoffs.

5. 2004 - GSU and Furman are by far the best teams in the SoCon and possibly the nation and battle it out with GSU losing. Furman that year was the only team that gave JMU any problem in the playoffs

6. 2007 - Furman slows down the "Jayson Foster offense" and a missed 32-yard field goal keeps GSU from winning the SoCon autobid and Furman salvages a little something from a bad season.

7. 1999 - GSU makes a great comeback at home with some horrendous officiating that is legendary among GSU fans. Among other bad calls, GSU's Adrian Peterson was flagged for an offensive facemask twice and a Furman player jumped over the LoS before the ball was snapped and no penalty was called.

8. 2000 - Oh wait, we didn't actually play that year. Furman just made up some story about Louis Ivory getting 300 yards rushing on us.

IBleedYellow
October 28th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Well, with the possibility that this is the last game in the series I thought we could review it. To my knowledge this is the only pair of teams that were conference mates for at least some time that played each other in the national championship. Obviously I favor the games that GSU wins but these are IMO my favorite games of the series.

1. 1985 - First national championship. GSC scores 38 points in the last 25 minutes or so of the game clock and wins the championship by 2.

2. 1988 - The other national championship. GSC fumbles deep in Furman territory late and loses the game.

4. 2001 - Furman ends GSU's insanely long home winning streak and becomes the first team to ever beat GSU in Statesboro in the playoffs.

5. 2004 - GSU and Furman are by far the best teams in the SoCon and possibly the nation and battle it out with GSU losing. Furman that year was the only team that gave JMU any problem in the playoffs

6. 2007 - Furman slows down the "Jayson Foster offense" and a missed 32-yard field goal keeps GSU from winning the SoCon autobid and Furman salvages a little something from a bad season.

7. 1999 - GSU makes a great comeback at home with some horrendous officiating that is legendary among GSU fans. Among other bad calls, GSU's Adrian Peterson was flagged for an offensive facemask twice and a Furman player jumped over the LoS before the ball was snapped and no penalty was called.

8. 2000 - Oh wait, we didn't actually play that year. Furman just made up some story about Louis Ivory getting 300 yards rushing on us.

Damn liars!!!

blueballs
October 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM
It was a rivalry borne of the playoff system & folk story heroics, then cemented and taken to another level when they became conference mates. Not only that but you couldn't have two more opposite fan bases as rivals, which adds a certain charm to it.

The 1985 Furman/GSU game was one of the great championship games. That game was the catalyst for Tracy Ham getting into the College Football Hall of Fame. That was just one of the great individual performances in big games in the rivalry... Greg Hill in 1999, Louis Ivory in 2000, Billy Napier in the 2001 semi final, Jayson Foster in 2005.

If you are a football fan you owe it to yourself to look up and watch some of the youtube videos of that game.

Perhaps Eagle22 or one of the other wiser guys can list how many times Furman and GSU met when both were ranked in the top 10 in the 22 meetings. Off the top of my head 1985, 1988, 1999, 2000, 2001 (twice), and 2004 for sure but maybe 2002 & 2005 as well??? In 1985, 1988, 2000, 2001 (twice), and 2004 they were both in the top 5.

Here is an old bleacher report article about the rivalry with some vintage photos and footage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/889006-a-look-at-the-history-of-the-georgia-southern-furman-football-rivalry

citdog
October 28th, 2013, 03:59 PM
It was a rivalry borne of the playoff system & folk story heroics, then cemented and taken to another level when they became conference mates. Not only that but you couldn't have two more opposite fan bases as rivals, which adds a certain charm to it.

The 1985 Furman/GSU game was one of the great championship games. That game was the catalyst for Tracy Ham getting into the College Football Hall of Fame. That was just one of the great individual performances in big games in the rivalry... Greg Hill in 1999, Louis Ivory in 2000, Billy Napier in the 2001 semi final, Jayson Foster in 2005.

If you are a football fan you owe it to yourself to look up and watch some of the youtube videos of that game.

Perhaps Eagle22 or one of the other wiser guys can list how many times Furman and GSU met when both were ranked in the top 10 in the 22 meetings. Off the top of my head 1985, 1988, 1999, 2000, 2001 (twice), and 2004 for sure but maybe 2002 & 2005 as well??? In 1985, 1988, 2000, 2001 (twice), and 2004 they were both in the top 5.

Here is an old bleacher report article about the rivalry with some vintage photos and footage.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/889006-a-look-at-the-history-of-the-georgia-southern-furman-football-rivalry

sorry balls. you and the bleacher report are incorrect referring to this game as a rivalry. vermin already has one of those and it a'int gsu.

blueballs
October 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM
sorry balls. you and the bleacher report are incorrect referring to this game as a rivalry. vermin already has one of those and it a'int gsu.

Ask the players, former players, coaches, former coaches, and fans if they consider it a rivalry.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 04:23 PM

Great recap. 2004 will always have a special place in my heart. Furman was the #3 team in the country and playing at home and I didn't think they had a snowball's chance of winning that game. Couple great plays on defense stopping the Eagles at the goal line. The 8 yard plunge by Felton 2 point conversion end around to Ike West was probably the loudest I've heard Paladin Stadium.

The 2005 game was similarly heart stopping. I recall the Eagles completing an impossibly long pass to a double covered receiver on a 3rd down and forever that kept the game alive.

What's interesting about the 2001 game is that I don't think Ivory even played. I'm sure you could have won some money betting on Furman in Statesboro without their best player. Helps when your QB goes 19 for 19.

I really remember two plays from the 2007 game. The first was the missed field goal. The second was that Jayson Foster's final run in his career against Furman was the first time I can remember a Paladin defender ever squaring up on him in four years.

blueballs
October 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM
PaladinFan: in the 2007 game Foster got his bell rung on the helicopter hit on the long fourth down conversion on the last drive. It was a spectacular run and a spectacular hit. I remember thinking at the time that Hatcher had to take his foot off the gas and play for the FG instead of the TD because Foster was woozy, and we all know how the kick turned out. That was a great game.

Back to 2004... how many drives did GSU start inside their own 5? Your kicking game was uncannily awesome that day.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2013, 06:39 PM
They were pooch kicks by Ingle Martin IIRC.

One game I forgot to mention was the first 2001 game. That was #1 versus #2 if I remember correctly. Not many rivalries have those.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 07:14 PM
PaladinFan: in the 2007 game Foster got his bell rung on the helicopter hit on the long fourth down conversion on the last drive. It was a spectacular run and a spectacular hit. I remember thinking at the time that Hatcher had to take his foot off the gas and play for the FG instead of the TD because Foster was woozy, and we all know how the kick turned out. That was a great game.

Back to 2004... how many drives did GSU start inside their own 5? Your kicking game was uncannily awesome that day.

It was a bunch. I think the first kickoff was a mistake by the GSU returner (a cornered kick and, if memory serves, he ran out of bounds inside the five). It set the tone for the game, though. GSU had to nearly drive the field with every possession.

Mr. C
October 28th, 2013, 07:49 PM
One of my memories was the year in the 2000s that Georgia Southern was coming off a loss to Furman and was motivated for revenge. Right before the game, the Furman Paladin horse reared up and the rider fell off the horse. It proved to be a bad omen as the Eagles routed the Paladins.

blueballs
October 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
One of my memories was the year in the 2000s that Georgia Southern was coming off a loss to Furman and was motivated for revenge. Right before the game, the Furman Paladin horse reared up and the rider fell off the horse. It proved to be a bad omen as the Eagles routed the Paladins.

That was 2002. Furman had ended the Paul Johnson/Adrian Peterson era at Paulson in the semis the previous December, which snapped the longest home playoff streak and second longest overall home streak. GSU was definitely out for blood that day and took a rather large contingent to Greenville that day.

IIRC it was Furman's homecoming that day. When Sir Paladin got bucked you could hear a pin drop. When he got up the entire GSU side burst out in laughter. GSU raced out to a 35-0 halftime lead and got some small measure of payback.

blueballs
October 28th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I'm going to miss some of the Furman guys we've tailgated with and gotten to know through the years... Flagman and Stumpy come to mind immediately. Good fans and good folks...

citdog
October 28th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I'm going to miss some of the Furman guys we've tailgated with and gotten to know through the years... Flagman and Stumpy come to mind immediately. Good fans and good folks...

VERMIN SCUM each and EVERY one. ESPECIALLY Ol FU!

not my Mom though. she loves me.

FUBeAR
October 29th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Just got chill bumps reading this thread. Watched the '88 Championship Game by myself in a biker bar in Saugus, CA...until I roused all the tattooed dudes into cheering for the 'Dins by the end of the game. Even a Hell's Angel with "Born to Lose" emblazoned across his back loves to ride with a winner!

Shame to see GaSou leave MaryAnn for what they imagine to be Ginger, but will prolly turn out to be Mrs. Howell.

"Ta Ta Lovee"....I hope the Dins beat the dog-snot out of them sorry Iggles this Saturday and go for 2 after every TD!

seantaylor
October 29th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Its a rivalry that doesn't really resonate with the younger fan base, because Furman hasn't been good in a long while, and the series is so lopsided. Wofford has replaced Furman as our second rivalry.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Its a rivalry that doesn't really resonate with the younger fan base, because Furman hasn't been good in a long while, and the series is so lopsided. Wofford has replaced Furman as our second rivalry.

I disagree. Most younger fans see Georgia Southern and App State as primary rivals. Virtually no Furman fan considers Wofford a rival (oddly enough), though I am sure that will change with the new conference makeup. Most of the older crowd hates the Citadel and Marshall (still).

No question Furman has gone through a dry spell, but let's not pretend Georgia Southern was a world beater the entire duration of this rivalry either.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 05:45 AM
That was 2002. Furman had ended the Paul Johnson/Adrian Peterson era at Paulson in the semis the previous December, which snapped the longest home playoff streak and second longest overall home streak. GSU was definitely out for blood that day and took a rather large contingent to Greenville that day.

IIRC it was Furman's homecoming that day. When Sir Paladin got bucked you could hear a pin drop. When he got up the entire GSU side burst out in laughter. GSU raced out to a 35-0 halftime lead and got some small measure of payback.

I have never (and will never) understand why it is funny when a man gets thrown off 2,000 pound animal. I've known several people with broken bones and one good family friend that has spent his life paralyzed after being thrown from a horse.

I get that mascot goofs are humorous, but the Paladin getting flung from a galloping horse is about as funny as if the GSU Eagle Mascot flew headlong into the press box window. That is to say, it isn't.

eaglewraith
October 29th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I have never (and will never) understand why it is funny when a man gets thrown off 2,000 pound animal. I've known several people with broken bones and one good family friend that has spent his life paralyzed after being thrown from a horse.

I get that mascot goofs are humorous, but the Paladin getting flung from a galloping horse is about as funny as if the GSU Eagle Mascot flew headlong into the press box window. That is to say, it isn't.

He wasn't galloping at the time. He was stationary down on the scoreboard end of the field. It was like the horse just got spooked or something.

OL FU
October 29th, 2013, 05:56 AM
It has been a good one and I hate to see it end. and just to f with citdog, GSU would still be our main rival if we hadn't gone backward to the level of the Citadel.:p

The start of it was truly the most exciting football game I have ever seen and the start of my "dislike" ( not really) and respect for Hamm. The second half of that games was one of the most unbelievable performances I have seen. A guy that averaged throwing the ball 4 times a game threw for like 2 million yards. Truly a game that no one thought they had won until right at the end.

I was depressed for a year afterwards:(

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Good grief. Just saw where Furman will play Georgia Southern in men's soccer tonight. Furman owns 21-3-2 record against the Eagles.

Furman's been really good in soccer for a long time, but even then I was completely unaware that they have whipped Georgia Southern that many times. I imagine that's one of the most, if not the most, one sided series in SoCon sports.

OL FU
October 29th, 2013, 06:12 AM

I may be wrong but I thought William and Mary played them close the next week. The sad part of the JMU game from a Furman perspective is, even though we could never pull away, watching that game for the first 54 minutes, one knew who was the best team that day. Unfortunately, the game lasted 60 minutes:o

OL FU
October 29th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Good grief. Just saw where Furman will play Georgia Southern in men's soccer tonight. Furman owns 21-3-2 record against the Eagles.

Furman's been really good in soccer for a long time, but even then I was completely unaware that they have whipped Georgia Southern that many times. I imagine that's one of the most, if not the most, one sided series in SoCon sports.

I keep telling myself I should become a soccer fan:)

pike51
October 29th, 2013, 06:56 AM

If you re-read the previous comment and understand what was being said... nobody laughed when he fell off the horse. However, once he got up and was okay, then the GSU side laughed. Quit taking stuff so seriously.

thirdgendin
October 29th, 2013, 07:00 AM

Entering this season, you were 6-4 in your last 10 games against both Furman and Wofford, including three straight wins against both. That's about as close as you can get for recent history. Overall GSU is now 12-8 versus Wofford and 16-8 versus Furman after Wofford's win earlier this year. Hopefully we'll end with a win as well.

thirdgendin
October 29th, 2013, 07:06 AM

Looking at the record book, Furman has similarly dominated VMI (23-1-1) and Wofford (33-6-1) like that over the years as well.

You probably would find that a lot in some of the sports where one team has dominated for an extended period of time, such as Furman men's soccer, UNCG women's soccer, Chattanooga wrestling and women's basketball, Davidson basketball to an extent, etc.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Looking at the record book, Furman has similarly dominated VMI (23-1-1) and Wofford (33-6-1) like that over the years as well.

You probably would find that a lot in some of the sports where one team has dominated for an extended period of time, such as Furman men's soccer, UNCG women's soccer, Chattanooga wrestling and women's basketball, Davidson basketball to an extent, etc.

I just wish I had realized Clint Dempsey was going to be Clint Dempsey when he was playing for Furman.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I may be wrong but I thought William and Mary played them close the next week. The sad part of the JMU game from a Furman perspective is, even though we could never pull away, watching that game for the first 54 minutes, one knew who was the best team that day. Unfortunately, the game lasted 60 minutes:o

That James Madison game was the textbook snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Furman was the better team, and did everything in their power to avoid winning the game. James Madison, to their credit, hung around and made the plays they needed to take the contest. I always thought that were I a JMU fan, I would have left that game saying "how'd we manage that?"

walliver
October 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
That James Madison game was the textbook snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Furman was the better team, and did everything in their power to avoid winning the game. James Madison, to their credit, hung around and made the plays they needed to take the contest. I always thought that were I a JMU fan, I would have left that game saying "how'd we manage that?"

I remember watching that game on TV. It looked like FU played the second half trying to not lose. Playing to win is a good strategy, playing to not lose frequently doesn't end well.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I remember watching that game on TV. It looked like FU played the second half trying to not lose. Playing to win is a good strategy, playing to not lose frequently doesn't end well.

It took a blocked punt for a touchdown, Furman fumbling on the one trying to ice the game, a 3rd and 21 scramble for a first down by a slow footed quarterback, and a missed extra point for James Madison to win by one. Excruciating to watch, really.

eaglesrback
October 29th, 2013, 11:22 AM
If you re-read the previous comment and understand what was being said... nobody laughed when he fell off the horse. However, once he got up and was okay, then the GSU side laughed. Quit taking stuff so seriously.

Bet he doesn't call people midgets either.

blueballs
October 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM

They're "Vertically challenged Individuals" or in the case of female midgets "Just the right height."

pike51
October 29th, 2013, 02:13 PM

There is nothing wrong with midgets. Matter of fact, I wish I had a few at home as pets. I'd dress them up in little jumpsuits and coat them in sunless tanner. Then I could be Willy Wonka for Halloween! "Oompa Loompa Doopity Doo..." Better yet, if I had a bunch of Mexican midgets, I could get the same amount of yard work done at half the cost! Citdog knows what I'm talking about!!

:) xlolx

citdog
October 29th, 2013, 02:29 PM
http://soggylog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/midget-tossing.jpg

Eagle22
October 29th, 2013, 08:38 PM

21-4-2 (Updated) :)

Eagles win in OT 2-1 @ Furman

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 09:07 PM

We let you win.

Eagle22
October 29th, 2013, 09:15 PM
We let you win.

Probably so. I'll borrow that phrase Saturday if we lose.

citdog
October 29th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Don't know if that's worse than The Citadel's COMPLETE DOMINATION of appy st in baseball. The Cadets own a 75-25 overall record against yosef. 50 games over .500.

seantaylor
October 30th, 2013, 02:38 AM
GSUs record against WCU in football trumps everything.

pike51
October 30th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Don't know if that's worse than The Citadel's COMPLETE DOMINATION of appy st in baseball. The Cadets own a 75-25 overall record against yosef. 50 games over .500.

This thread is about GSU and Furman and you have to bring up another point about ****adel and App? Really? It's time to take your wang out of the fleshlight.

walliver
October 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Where will GSU play soccer next year? I know ASU is hanging around with us little guys.

GATA_Eagles
October 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Where will GSU play soccer next year? I know ASU is hanging around with us little guys.

Believe they're looking for a home. If JMU/LU/Other team with mens soccer joins the SBC there would be 4 teams that sponsor it. I could see pulling a few A-Sun members as associate members and the Sun Belt beginning to sponsor it

pike51
October 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Believe they're looking for a home. If JMU/LU/Other team with mens soccer joins the SBC there would be 4 teams that sponsor it. I could see pulling a few A-Sun members as associate members and the Sun Belt beginning to sponsor it

Last I heard, we will stay in the SoCon until something else (like SBC adding it) comes along.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Last I heard, we will stay in the SoCon until something else (like SBC adding it) comes along.

Pretty sure that both App. State and GSU men's soccer will need new conferences after this year.

walliver
October 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Pretty sure that both App. State and GSU men's soccer will need new conferences after this year.

Both ASU and the SoCon have stated that Appy will stay in the SoCon for soccer. I haven't heard anything either way about GSU.

Eagle22
October 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM
GSU will not be staying in the SoCon for soccer. Best guess at this date is we'll be independent next season and begin work with ASU, Georgia State and some others to put together Sun Belt soccer down the road.

T-Dog
October 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM
App is staying in the SoCon for men's soccer and wrestling. Right now there's seven teams in the SoCon. With Davidson, Elon and apparently GSU leaving this year, ETSU, Mercer and VMI will fit right in to keep the conference at seven. Wrestling is also in dire straits when it comes to members so it makes sense for App to stay.

It makes no sense that GSU is leaving. In fact, it would make more sense for G-State to join the SoCon in men's soccer. I doubt the Sun Belt will be starting men's soccer anytime soon. Heck, there isn't even SEC men's soccer.

GSU Eagle
October 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
The way it has been put here is that the SoCon doesn't want Georgia Southern as an associate member in soccer. So I guess we are in no conference next year.

PaladinFan
October 31st, 2013, 05:34 AM
The way it has been put here is that the SoCon doesn't want Georgia Southern as an associate member in soccer. So I guess we are in no conference next year.

Seems like that would cripple the program, no?

walliver
October 31st, 2013, 10:00 AM

That is interesting. The only reason I could see for the SoCon not wanting to keep GSU would be geography. GSU has always been a bit of a geographic outlier. The 'Boro would be reasonably close for The Citadel and Mercer, but a hike for everyone else. ASU is still somewhat centrally located within the SoCon footprint. A long hike for Sammy, Mercer, Chatty and El Cid, but a reasonable drive for everybody else.

blueballs
October 31st, 2013, 11:33 AM
Isn't it sad when a thread about the last meeting between such great rivals, who played so many meaningful championship level games through the years, devolves into a discussion about soccer? SMFH...

OL FU
October 31st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Isn't it sad when a thread about the last meeting between such great rivals, who played so many meaningful championship level games through the years, devolves into a discussion about soccer? SMFH...

No kidding, I am very proud of Furman's soccer program, but I would trade it in a heart beat for football at historic levels.

PS, I was having an electronic conversation back in August with Hensrock and he ask how FU will do. I said probably a little better than last year but I would be ok this year by saying good bye to a couple of teams by only winning two games, as long as the wins were against...... well you know whoxblehx:)

citdog
October 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM

again balls furman isn't your rival. you haven't played football long enough to have one.

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2013, 06:36 AM
To get back to football, I'm wondering how big of a factor Jerrick McKinnon will (or perhaps won't) be this weekend.

Furman leads the SoCon in rush defense. To put that in perspective, Furman still leads the league in rush defense despite 332 yards of rushing by LSU (who has one of the best offenses in college football). Furman is an unheralded group, and banged up by injuries, but they are going to force the Eagles to earn every foot on the ground.

I think the game rests with Furman's offense and the Eagle defense. Furman has not been terribly good on offense this year, and GSU was just torched by what had been a pretty poor App State attack. I imagine whichever of those two units steps up their game will decide the outcome.

pike51
November 1st, 2013, 06:49 AM
again balls furman isn't your rival. you haven't played football long enough to have one.

You think God vs Satan isn't a rivalry.

OL FU
November 1st, 2013, 06:54 AM
You think God vs Satan isn't a rivalry.

In this case I know which team is Satanxblehx

blueballs
November 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM
To get back to football, I'm wondering how big of a factor Jerrick McKinnon will (or perhaps won't) be this weekend.

Furman leads the SoCon in rush defense. To put that in perspective, Furman still leads the league in rush defense despite 332 yards of rushing by LSU (who has one of the best offenses in college football). Furman is an unheralded group, and banged up by injuries, but they are going to force the Eagles to earn every foot on the ground.

I think the game rests with Furman's offense and the Eagle defense. Furman has not been terribly good on offense this year, and GSU was just torched by what had been a pretty poor App State attack. I imagine whichever of those two units steps up their game will decide the outcome.

If JM isn't on the field GSU will have big trouble moving the ball... that has already been demonstrated. The key match up is Furman's o-line vs GSU's d-line. I think Furman will dominate up front and be able to run enough to pass off it which should lead to lots of yards and lots of points.

If this game was at Furman I'd predict a 20+ margin for Furman but I think GSU will keep it within 10.

SpiritCymbal
November 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
It really is going to be bittersweet seeing this game come and go this weekend. Remember the '85 and '88 games vividly. Sad to see the series and rivalry come to an end.

citdog
November 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
It really is going to be bittersweet seeing this game come and go this weekend. Remember the '85 and '88 games vividly. Sad to see the series and rivalry come to an end.

not a rivalry

SCPALADIN
November 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM
Sometimes rivalries start from playing in championship games...you wouldn't understand.

citdog
November 1st, 2013, 05:59 PM
Sometimes rivalries start from playing in championship games...you wouldn't understand.

and sometimes they entrench themselves for all time with the murder of a nag that wasn't even fit for a glue factory.

furple scum

DoWe
November 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM
In breaking news, citdog loses to SCPALADIN.

citdog
November 1st, 2013, 08:09 PM
In breaking news, citdog loses to SCPALADIN.

so who will be meeting for the 94th time next season? THAT is a rivalry. pigs ass, ga doesn't have ANYTHING 94 years old except perhaps a couple of toothless south ga clayeaters.

DoWe
November 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM
And citdog, your team has no appearances in a D1-AA or FCS Championship game. Move on. You have not and will not start winning this "has to be a minimum of 35 games to be a rivalry" BS.

citdog
November 1st, 2013, 08:40 PM
And citdog, your team has no appearances in a D1-AA or FCS Championship game. Move on. You have not and will not start winning this "has to be a minimum of 35 games to be a rivalry" BS.

So? we were BOTH playing football at the highest level when erk russell's daddy was carrying him around in his testicle satchel. because two games trump almost a century of hatred. you are without tradition. you may as well be YANKEES.

DoWe
November 1st, 2013, 09:08 PM
Nice counter-point, but most will agree Furman and GSU have what can and should be described as a rivalry. The Citadel has probably played WCU 35 times. How's that working for you as rivals?

citdog
November 1st, 2013, 09:36 PM
Nice counter-point, but most will agree Furman and GSU have what can and should be described as a rivalry. The Citadel has probably played WCU 35 times. How's that working for you as rivals?

wcu is not one of our rivals. our rivals are vermin and the v@gina military institute. y'all can possibly have one when you play app 20 more times or maybe with the gsu in atlanta. either way it's good riddance to you. enjoy football obscurity in the sun bletch.

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2013, 08:10 AM
Trivia question: when is the last time citadel played a game in Novemeber that had bearing on the SoCon title or playoff implications for them?

walliver
November 2nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
So? we were BOTH playing football at the highest level when erk russell's daddy was carrying him around in his testicle satchel. because two games trump almost a century of hatred. you are without tradition. you may as well be YANKEES.

You didn't start playing football until the 20th century ... johnny come latelies.:D

OL FU
November 2nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Most of us understand that citdog is throwing gas on the fire because...............well he is citdogxrotatehx

I think most people can understand at an intellectual level why the GSU and Furman games are special considering how they started, but I don't think you can truly understand unless you were fans of one of the teams back in the 80's. I also think that is why most of the fans of that era have a mutual "dislike" as well as mutual admiration for the other program.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
You didn't start playing football until the 20th century ... johnny come latelies.:D

I have bad memories of losing that first football game in SC to you guys in 1889xbawlingx

Interestingly enough, I believe Mercer played the first collegiate game in Georgia a few years later - - - -against UGA.

walliver
November 2nd, 2013, 09:37 AM
I have bad memories of losing that first football game in SC to you guys in 1889xbawlingx

Interestingly enough, I believe Mercer played the first collegiate game in Georgia a few years later - - - -against UGA.

Although the score was 5-1, it was apparently much closer than it seemed.

I do understand the feelings of FU fans towards ASU and GSU's departure. Although very dissimilar institutions (I've heard that FU makes students wear shoes to class), for two decades FU-ASU-GSU games were big time I-AA battles.

Even with FU's recent unpleasantness, my impression is that ASU and GSU fans have had more emotional involvement towards their FU games, than their strategically more important games against the Terriers.

ASU and GSU may be the enrollment Goliaths of the SoCon, but sometimes it is fun to hit them in the head with a pebble and chop off their heads.:D

ASU and GSU will be missed ... their fans not so much (with a few exceptions).

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
Trivia question: when is the last time citadel played a game in Novemeber that had bearing on the SoCon title or playoff implications for them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4YLUVDPFbQ

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Simple question. Either you don't know the answer or are embarrassed by it. Sad.

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
Simple question. Either you don't know the answer or are embarrassed by it. Sad.

Sad- Being absolutely outclassed on the football field by a Military College two years in a row when you believe yourself to be the Mighty Oz of the FCS.

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
No I'm in touch with reality, Citadel beat App two years in a row, congrats as I've said before. Come on bud answer the question.

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 12:49 PM

the 2012 season. the 2007 season.

OL FU
November 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Guys thanks for the memories. As bad as the game was I can't tell you I am not happy to send you and ASU out with losses.

Have fun and honestly best of luck to you in the future.

thirdgendin
November 2nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Sending Appalachian and Georgia Southern out with an "L"....feels great!!

blueballs
November 2nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
How ironic is it that the coach who went for 2 last year up 19 with less than 30 seconds to go, who brought the "Black Flag" to GSU, who faked a punt up 47 earlier this year, effectively waived the white flag by letting the kicker who arguably cost GSU the national title last year kick a 43 yarder into the wind instead of trusting his senior all american QB and offense on 4th and 3 in the fourth quarter?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2013, 03:35 PM
How ironic is it that the coach who went for 2 last year up 19 with less than 30 seconds to go, who brought the "Black Flag" to GSU, who faked a punt up 47 earlier this year, effectively waived the white flag by letting the kicker who arguably cost GSU the national title last year kick a 43 yarder into the wind instead of trusting his senior all american QB and offense on 4th and 3 in the fourth quarter?

From what I heard on the radio something happened with Ellison and and McKinnon came in and McK was clearly not at 100%.

But I agree, it was stupid to let Hanks kick that long field goal into the wind.

Eaglesrus
November 2nd, 2013, 06:11 PM
From what I heard on the radio something happened with Ellison and and McKinnon came in and McK was clearly not at 100%.

But I agree, it was stupid to let Hanks kick that long field goal into the wind.

Hearing that Ellison suffered some sort of injury to his throwing shoulder and that's why McKinnon played in the second half. It had to be obvious to anyone who was there and had seen McK play in other games that he wasn't 100%. Be that as it may, I still would have run a play rather than try another field goal from pretty much the exact same spot that we'd already missed from. As both you and bb pointed out, why did we think that the kicker who struggled so much last year (to be polite) would do better today with the game on the line today? Anyway, congratulations to the Paladins, personally I'm sorry I can't say see you next year.

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
Go you mighty Paladins. Fare the well App and GSU.

Not sure anyone would want to face Furman right now. One of those seasons we are going to lament starting a fourth stringer against Elon.

Furman's defense making life extremely tough on teams right now.

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
the 2012 season. the 2007 season.

I disagree with 2012 citadel had a major slide in October losing their third SoCon game and 4th overall prior to Nov.

2007 it is. Citadel invites the giant slayer App State to Charleston 11/3, both teams with only two conference loses, App dominates, sorry no cute pictures ;-).

Mr. C
November 3rd, 2013, 01:48 AM

Lighten up, Elroy. It's not like the guy got hurt (other than his pride).

OL FU
November 3rd, 2013, 08:16 AM

I was very happy that we could introduce Monken to the most under rated play in college football........................................th e victory formation.:D

eaglewraith
November 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hearing that Ellison suffered some sort of injury to his throwing shoulder and that's why McKinnon played in the second half. It had to be obvious to anyone who was there and had seen McK play in other games that he wasn't 100%. Be that as it may, I still would have run a play rather than try another field goal from pretty much the exact same spot that we'd already missed from. As both you and bb pointed out, why did we think that the kicker who struggled so much last year (to be polite) would do better today with the game on the line today? Anyway, congratulations to the Paladins, personally I'm sorry I can't say see you next year.

Ellison came into the game with his throwing shoulder separated. McKinnon was nursing a sprained ankle. We were down to one other QB that we could use (Ramsby out with an ACL, Upshaw ineligible for this year). I think we were trying to minimize injuries in the QB's and McKinnon said he could handle it. Ellison gave everything he had in the first half. Lot of heart in that kid.