PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Nine.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 26th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I was 6-1 this week. The games were as advertised. App State was playing as if someone lit a match under them. I called the WCU upset (I called WCU was going to win a SoCon game this season for months). Here's where I see it. Updated magic number in parenthesis.

1) Samford (1 of 4) - Impressive win vs. Wofford gives them inside track at first SoCon football title.
2) Wofford (2 of 3) - Really needs to do something special to get in the playoffs.
3) Chattanooga (1 of 4) - Survived a close one against The Citadel.
4) Furman (4 of 4) - Getting hammered by LSU as I write this.
5) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - Limps away from Boone in defeat.
6) The Citadel (eliminated) - Loss vs. Chattanooga kills their playoff hopes.
7) Appalachian State (ineligible) - Pulls off shocker against Georgia Southern.
8) Western Carolina (eliminated) - Take a bow, you deserved it.
9) Elon (eliminated) - was denied a second SoCon win.
Mercer (4 of 4)* - continues win in a close one against Campbell
VMI (eliminated) - gets roasted by Coastal Carolina
ETSU - volleyball is 10-1 in conference play

Predictions
Samford @ The Citadel - Samford wins this year's edition of "Battle of the Bulldogs"
Chattanooga @ Appalachian State (Upset Special) - Mocs unable to climb to the top of the mountain.
Furman @ Georgia Southern - Eagles ends Paladins' playoff chances
VMI @ Liberty - Keydets unable to douse the Flames.
Mercer @ Davidson - Bears have no problem with the Wildcats
ETSU - Is it 2015 yet?

Squealofthepig
October 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Playoff wise, who can still make it:

Samford: six D1 wins; games left are @Cit, @Furman, vs. Chatty and vs. Elon

Wofford: five D1 wins; @Chatty, vs. App, @Furman

Chatty: six D1 wins; @App, vs. Wofford, @Samford, @Alabama

Furman: four D1 wins; @GSU, vs. Samford, @WCU, vs. Wofford

Cit, WCU and Elon cannot win conference/autobid (unless there's some bizarre tiebreaker and everyone in conference pulls a Missouri Valley and pulls a 4-4)

catamount man
October 26th, 2013, 09:19 PM
1) Samford
2) Chattanooga
3) Wofford
4) Furman
5) The Citadel
6) Western Carolina
7) Elon

App > Georgia Southern

GO CATS!!!

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I'm sure Eagle fans feel a lot less comfortable about the Furman game than they did a few weeks ago.

blueballs
October 27th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I'm sure Eagle fans feel a lot less comfortable about the Furman game than they did a few weeks ago.

True dat... If this game was being played in Greenville I'd predict a multiple score win for Furman. Furman's QB and receivers will have an orgasm watching GSU's tape.

Something tells me the game should be close. I wonder if Furman has forgotten about GSU going to 2 up 3 TD's with less than a minute left last year. If that had happened to me I'd be out for blood, just saying.

kdinva
October 27th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Samford 28 @ The Citadel 20
Chattanooga 24 @ Appalachian State 27
Furman 17 @ Georgia Southern 31

walliver
October 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM
1) Samford - King of the Mountain, only real threat left on their schedule is Chatty
2) Chattanooga - tougher game than expected against the bellhops
3) Wofford - played hard, but lack of offensive scheming in first half continues
... 4-7 are a toss-up ...
4) Furman - on the mend
5) Citadel - middle of the pack
6) ASU - starting the season 2 months two late
7) GSU - no "championship" rings this year
8) WCU - no longer bottom of the barrel
9) Elon - very generous on their farewell tour.

Mercer - better than expected first year
VMI xbawlingx
ETSU waiting

This week:
Samford at Citadel - Chuck Pups put up a fight, but Bama Pups pull away in the second half 42-28
Chattanooga at Appy - Yosef has put down his crack pipe and started playing football. Mocs blow big lead in 4th quarter. Hillbillies 35 - Mocs 31 in OT
Furman at GSU - I could see a close FU win or a GSU blow-out. Horsey People 24 - Igglets 21
Wofford at bye - Terrier offense fails to move the ball in first half, but rallies in second half for a draw

VMI at Liberty - misery continues
Mercer at Davidson Bears 42-7

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Cit, WCU and Elon cannot win conference/autobid (unless there's some bizarre tiebreaker and everyone in conference pulls a Missouri Valley and pulls a 4-4)

The Citadel, Western Carolina and Elon still have a chance at a share of the conference title (autobid is another question). Western Carolina and Elon would have to pull for The Citadel to beat Samford and then Appalachian State to beat Chattanooga to keep hope (if any) alive.

SU DOG
October 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM

As a Samford fan, so do I, but maybe for different reasons. I watched LSU pull away in the second half, BUT I was extremely impressed by the Paladins. IMO, this team is the most improved team in the SoCon. Furman didn't look anything like they did earlier in the season.

Eaglesrus
October 27th, 2013, 09:53 AM

I haven't felt comfortable about any of our games since Wofford, our third of the season. I obviously underestimated them, though I didn't think that one was a sure thing, either, just thought our chance of winning was very good.

T-Dog
October 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Chattanooga at Appy - Yosef has put down his crack pipe and started playing football. Mocs blow big lead in 4th quarter. Hillbillies 35 - Mocs 31 in OT

I know this is for fun, but that score is impossible to attain in overtime since in college, you don't have to kick the PAT after a GW touchdown.

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I'm glad we have a bye going into Chatty

The Cats
October 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM
1) Samford
2) Chattanooga
3) Wofford
4) Furman
5) The Citadel
6) Western Carolina
7) Elon

Appalachian State
Georgia Southern

Predictions
Samford at Citadel
Chattanooga at App State
Furman at GSU

home teams all lose this week

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM
I like Wofford's chances in the next few games. There is nothing given in the socon but we're not going to play a team that good offensively, except for maybe App.

If our offense plays a full game no one can stop us.

gomocs82
October 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM
1. Samford
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
4. The Citadel
5. Furman
6. Western Carolina
7. Elon

Chattanooga > App State
Samford > The Citadel
GSU > Furman

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM
True dat... If this game was being played in Greenville I'd predict a multiple score win for Furman. Furman's QB and receivers will have an orgasm watching GSU's tape.

Something tells me the game should be close. I wonder if Furman has forgotten about GSU going to 2 up 3 TD's with less than a minute left last year. If that had happened to me I'd be out for blood, just saying.

I'm expecting a close game, no question. I am of the impression Coach Fowler is well aware of the GSU shenanigans at the end of last year's game.

I like Furman's chances. Defensively, the Paladins overwhelmed the only other option offense they've seen (the Citadel) and are generally very good against the run. Offensively, a healthy Reese Hannon has made a world of difference. They are still old fashioned between the tackles football.

One player that may well be the X Factor is Dakota Dozier. Likely the best lineman in the SoCon, he has just started to invoke his will the past few weeks. He was burying App State linemen two weeks ago, and even the LSU announcers were noting that their highly regarded DEs were having their hands full with him.

I think the game will be won or lost with Furman's offense against the Eagle defense. The Eagle front four is going to have to prove they can handle Furman's offensive line, because I would expect the Paladins to come right after them.

PaladinFan
October 27th, 2013, 03:09 PM
As a Samford fan, so do I, but maybe for different reasons. I watched LSU pull away in the second half, BUT I was extremely impressed by the Paladins. IMO, this team is the most improved team in the SoCon. Furman didn't look anything like they did earlier in the season.

We've really just been decent QB play away from a good season for probably two years. Hannon makes a lot of difference for Furman. I do think that Furman would have beaten Elon and GWU with Hannon in the game. He's just a good game manager and doesn't commit unforced errors.

I do like the fact that Furman didn't seem a bit fazed by the fact they were in Tiger Stadium playing LSU at night. Even better, they came right out and ran it right at them. Even the LSU announcers noted that Furman was coming out and playing like it was a SoCon game. That's a big compliment in my eyes.

For years Furman "expected to be there." We've lost a little bit of that. At some point, you have to get the team back where they win. Once they start winning, they have to carry a swagger. Slowly but surely both are coming back.

ElCid
October 27th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I called the Western win, got the Furman score close, blew the App St resurrection, and thought my Dogs would get blown out instead of making it close and got the Samford win within a score.

1) Samford - easily number 1, it is their's to blow
2) Wofford - Until they screw up
3) Chattanooga - I think they were sleep walking against the Dogs. They are better than Chattown detractors think. Think about that honestly.
4) Furman - They looked confident against one of the best. I dread them 2014 and onwards.
5) The Citadel - They can produce but they lack consistency.
6) Western Carolina - YEAH!
7) Elon - BYE!

*Appalachian State
*Georgia Southern

Furman @ Ga So - Which Furman team will show up? Which Georgia Southern team for that matter? Furman is good but too inconsistent yet for a victory in Statesboro - 31-20
Samford @ The Citadel - The Dogs are more than capable of winning this. Some silly stats first. The Citadel's points differential per game is less than -3 averaged over all 8 games. Over its 6 losses, The Citadel has lost by an average of 5.5. 5 of those loses were 1 score or less. The other one was 11 points to Wofford. Important to note is its 2 wins were one score wins as well. In other words, the Dogs have been close all year. They could have been 8-0 fairly easily, or 0-8 instead of 2-6. Things I like about this match up: it's the third Samford road game in a row. Last time they were on road three times in a row, they barely won at Florida A&M 27-20 in what should have been a blow out. It gets tiring on the road. They just came off a hard fought battle at Wofford--emotional drain? They have Furman on the road the following week. Will they look ahead against an improving Furman? The bad: offensively, Samford averages 35 to 27 points a game this season versus The Citadel. They also hold an edge defensively holding the opposition to 25 versus 30 for the Dogs. All data points to a one to two score game. But the wild card is Summerlin. Averaging 284 yards a game passing, the Dogs could be in for a long day. If they can bottle him up and control the clock they have a shot. Otherwise they have been burned by some big pass plays all year, so I am thinking - 37-24.
UTC @ App St - I think Chatty was actually either looking ahead or relaxing this passed week. They were sluggish and let the Dogs run wild until they got down to business. Was App St for real or just another work in progress? This week I think UTC gets a hard fought victory in Boone - 31-27

Reign of Terrier
October 27th, 2013, 08:35 PM
key for the Citadel game next week: something like 5 to 7 defensive players for Samford went out with injuries. I don't know who came back, but it's something to watch

walliver
October 27th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I know this is for fun, but that score is impossible to attain in overtime since in college, you don't have to kick the PAT after a GW touchdown.

Actually, It's not impossible, just stupid. There is no rule that says a team down by 7 in OT can't kick a field goal. It's just that no sane coach would do that.

ElCid
October 27th, 2013, 08:57 PM
key for the Citadel game next week: something like 5 to 7 defensive players for Samford went out with injuries. I don't know who came back, but it's something to watch

I did not know that data point, thanks. But unless the Dogs get creative in their play calling (see first half of Chatty game) it wont matter. We were a different team. Who calls a sweet reverse on the first play? We did for for 20+ YARDS! That has been part of our problem all year. We have been entirely too predictable, especially regarding the pass.

SU DOG
October 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;2037459]key for the Citadel game next week: something like 5 to 7 defensive players for Samford went out with injuries. I don't know who came back, but it's something to watch[/QUOTE

This is regrettably true. Don't know the extent, but two of our best DL did not finish the game at WC. In the 4th quarter, we had a true Fr. playing DT. Three or four other players were hurt-including, I believe, WR Kelsey Pope. We had been extremely fortunate with injuries until then.

ElCid
October 27th, 2013, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=youngterrier;2037459]key for the Citadel game next week: something like 5 to 7 defensive players for Samford went out with injuries. I don't know who came back, but it's something to watch[/QUOTE

This is regrettably true. Don't know the extent, but two of our best DL did not finish the game at WC. In the 4th quarter, we had a true Fr. playing DT. Three or four other players were hurt-including, I believe, WR Kelsey Pope. We had been extremely fortunate with injuries until then.

I have to say, my Dogs have been hitting real hard lately. They were taking pride in knocking Chatty players down this past week. One was down, out for the count this week, thankfully he was just knocked out. I like that they have fire in them, but on the flip side, I hate for any player, on any team to get hurt. Having an ACL blown out and teared meniscus myself, I can sympathize.

longtimemocfan
October 27th, 2013, 09:41 PM
I called the Western win, got the Furman score close, blew the App St resurrection, and thought my Dogs would get blown out instead of making it close and got the Samford win within a score.

1) Samford - easily number 1, it is their's to blow
2) Wofford - Until they screw up
3) Chattanooga - I think they were sleep walking against the Dogs. They are better than Chattown detractors think. Think about that honestly.
4) Furman - They looked confident against one of the best. I dread them 2014 and onwards.
5) The Citadel - They can produce but they lack consistency.
6) Western Carolina - YEAH!
7) Elon - BYE!

*Appalachian State
*Georgia Southern

Furman @ Ga So - Which Furman team will show up? Which Georgia Southern team for that matter? Furman is good but too inconsistent yet for a victory in Statesboro - 31-20
Samford @ The Citadel - The Dogs are more than capable of winning this. Some silly stats first. The Citadel's points differential per game is less than -3 averaged over all 8 games. Over its 6 losses, The Citadel has lost by an average of 5.5. 5 of those loses were 1 score or less. The other one was 11 points to Wofford. Important to note is its 2 wins were one score wins as well. In other words, the Dogs have been close all year. They could have been 8-0 fairly easily, or 0-8 instead of 2-6. Things I like about this match up: it's the third Samford road game in a row. Last time they were on road three times in a row, they barely won at Florida A&M 27-20 in what should have been a blow out. It gets tiring on the road. They just came off a hard fought battle at Wofford--emotional drain? They have Furman on the road the following week. Will they look ahead against an improving Furman? The bad: offensively, Samford averages 35 to 27 points a game this season versus The Citadel. They also hold an edge defensively holding the opposition to 25 versus 30 for the Dogs. All data points to a one to two score game. But the wild card is Summerlin. Averaging 284 yards a game passing, the Dogs could be in for a long day. If they can bottle him up and control the clock they have a shot. Otherwise they have been burned by some big pass plays all year, so I am thinking - 37-24.
UTC @ App St - I think Chatty was actually either looking ahead or relaxing this passed week. They were sluggish and let the Dogs run wild until they got down to business. Was App St for real or just another work in progress? This week I think UTC gets a hard fought victory in Boone - 31-27

I'm not sure exactly what you call it. I think it started when your dogs just stuffed it in the end zone from the opening kickoff. Then before we get a snap off Keon Williams and his 600 + yards goes down for the game. In any event The Citadel came to play. Looked nothing indicative of what your record showed. I thought for a moment I was going to see Touchdown Citadel !!! When I got on here today.If this had been the last 3 years we would have probably lost this game. I just hope the trend continues. Like Samford we had a lot players out of the game by the time it ended. Tommy Hudson Wr, Chaz Moore DB, Toyvian Brand DE, Keon Williams RB, Gunner Miller was in out basically playing with one arm. I think I've heard we should get most of them back by the next Sat. Keon's injury could be the worst.

ElCid
October 27th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you call it. I think it started when your dogs just stuffed it in the end zone from the opening kickoff. Then before we get a snap off Keon Williams and his 600 + yards goes down for the game. In any event The Citadel came to play. Looked nothing indicative of what your record showed. I thought for a moment I was going to see Touchdown Citadel !!! When I got on here today.If this had been the last 3 years we would have probably lost this game. I just hope the trend continues. Like Samford we had a lot players out of the game by the time it ended. Tommy Hudson Wr, Chaz Moore DB, Toyvian Brand DE, Keon Williams RB, Gunner Miller was in out basically playing with one arm. I think I've heard we should get most of them back by the next Sat. Keon's injury could be the worst.

Well. like I showed, the Dogs are not as bad as their record shows, necessarily. I think your coach actually said the Dogs are the best 2-5 (then) team in FCS. Maybe? But they are missing something. Wins most likely. I think if Chatty plays hard they can get a bid. Need to win out FCS most likely though.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Who'd have thought we'd be in Week 9 this season and App and GSU would have six combined conference losses?

Anyone know the last time GSU and App both finished with three or more SoCon losses in the same season? May have never happened.

Milktruck74
October 28th, 2013, 07:22 AM
The Cit Dawgs came to play Saturday, but they always come to play. The boys in (light)blue bring the wood. I think they proved some things to themselves and if I was Sammy, I'd be as nervous at the Moc Fans were for 58 minutes of Saturday's game. If Cit can control the ball and win the Time of Possession battle, they will be the Victorious Bulldogs.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 07:34 AM
The Cit Dawgs came to play Saturday, but they always come to play. The boys in (light)blue bring the wood. I think they proved some things to themselves and if I was Sammy, I'd be as nervous at the Moc Fans were for 58 minutes of Saturday's game. If Cit can control the ball and win the Time of Possession battle, they will be the Victorious Bulldogs.

Huge game for Samford. They have the inside track for the SoCon title, but a loss to the Citadel would create a wide open race between UTC, Wofford, Samford, and Furman. I think of those four teams, each team has at least two more games against the other three.

T-Dog
October 28th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Who'd have thought we'd be in Week 9 this season and App and GSU would have six combined conference losses?

Anyone know the last time GSU and App both finished with three or more SoCon losses in the same season? May have never happened.

Marshall 8-0
ETSU 7-1
Furman 6-2
App St 5-3
El Cit 3-5
Ga So 2-6
VMI 2-6
UTC 2-6
WCU 1-7

And to be frank, this year App and GaSo won't have three conference losses apiece as our official records will be 0-0.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM

Marshall 8-0
ETSU 7-1
Furman 6-2
App St 5-3
El Cit 3-5
Ga So 2-6
VMI 2-6
UTC 2-6
WCU 1-7

And to be frank, this year App and GaSo won't have three conference losses apiece as our official records will be 0-0.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I've never heard an official word on how GSU and App are treated this year. The SoCon website has their actual records and conference records listed, but notes both programs an ineligible for the post season or conference champs.

For example, the Big 10 website has Penn State's record, but notes with an asterisk that they are ineligible for the post season. They are certainly counting as conference losses and wins for their opponents. My impression is that if Furman gets an actual conference loss for losing to App or GSU, then their games count as well.

SpeedkingATL
October 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
This week's rankings:

1) Samford - Still the most balanced team in the SoCon.
2) UTC - Finally won a close one rather than giving it away.
3) Wofford - Good effort against Sammy in defeat.

Big dropoff after those 3..

4) Furman - Appear to be improving if not physically beat up by LSU.
5) GaSo -Only team after the top 3 with a winning record but 2 wins against cupcakes. Not the same team that started the season because of MASH unit.
6) THE Citadel - Why not, beat App head to head.
7) App State - Finally played a pretty complete game against GaSo.
8) WCU - BIG win over Elon.
9) Elon - Tough loss to Whee.

Samford @ Citadel - Interesting matchup as Citdogs have played tough against everyone. Citdogs chances depend on Durpree getting loose a few times as the big Sammy D line will make the dive option tough. Hot Sammy QB torches the Citdogs secondary and Sammy wins on the road 31-17.
Furman @ GaSo - If McKinnon plays, GaSo has a good chance, if not Furman wins. Even as beat up as the Eagles are, their is a lot of pride and tradition there and playing a horrible game like against App will not be repeated at home against another big traditional rival. In addition the LSU game had to take a physical toll on the Furbies. GaSo fights back and wins a tight one 28-27.
UTC @ App - The Mocs were licking their chops after watching film of the Apps until this week. On paper, Mocs should win but according to one AGS poster, that will be the case against Alabama too. This game goes down to the wire as the Mocs miss the hold on a field goal attempt on the last play of the game to lose 27-25.

SU DOG
October 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Samford - We may be unbeaten, but we are definitely beat up and road-weary. Scary situation going into this game vs The Citadel - not sandbagging just stating facts.
Wofford - They now have 2 weeks to prepare for UTC.
UTC - Unlike the past, they are, so far, finding a way to win.
Furman - With Hannon back and McCloud running like a wild bull, they finally have the balanced offense they have needed.
The Citadel - Probably the best team in all of FCS with their record. Very physical and very dangerous.
App State - Finally saw the light? All those highly touted players(3*** athletes) are very capable of beating most anyone.
Georgia Southern - If not for so many injuries, they would be nowhere near this spot.
Western - Just have to tell them CONGRATS again.
Elon - Will not be a threat to win the CAA anytime soon.

Just my guess as of right now. I'm not a picker - more of a grinner.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Players of the week announced (http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209293317&DB_OEM_ID=4000)

I'm sure Wakeel had a great game, but I think if you pick six the #1 quarterback prospect in the country you are the DPOW by default.

chattanoogamocs
October 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Players of the week announced (http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209293317&DB_OEM_ID=4000)

I'm sure Wakeel had a great game, but I think if you pick six the #1 quarterback prospect in the country you are the DPOW by default.

Obviously, I am biased...but I would argue that a career high 17 tackles in a game that matters (conference game) counts more than one big play in a paycheck game. :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Kam Bryant only had 381 yards passing? I'm calling shenanigans on that. I think he got shafted and some passing yards weren't counted.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 28th, 2013, 01:09 PM
The Chatt/App game looks really interesting, looks like Chatt has finally grown up and are winning close games. Their defense doesn't seem as strong as in the past, but the offense is better and finally respectable, definitely a playoff caliber team, 3 weeks ago, I would have picked Chatt by 2 tds, but the last two weeks it looked like something finally "clicked" with the new coaching staff and the team. The offense put up almost 500 yds against Furman, but turned the ball over, I think, 5 times, and then last week, they finally played a complete game against GS. I guess the question is, was last week a fluke, and just everything worked for App that day, or is the team and the coaching staff, finally on the same page, and now ready to play up to their potential. Still got to go with Chatt here, 27-24, but now I feel alot better about our chances than I did 3 weeks ago.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 01:38 PM
The Chatt/App game looks really interesting, looks like Chatt has finally grown up and are winning close games. Their defense doesn't seem as strong as in the past, but the offense is better and finally respectable, definitely a playoff caliber team, 3 weeks ago, I would have picked Chatt by 2 tds, but the last two weeks it looked like something finally "clicked" with the new coaching staff and the team. The offense put up almost 500 yds against Furman, but turned the ball over, I think, 5 times, and then last week, they finally played a complete game against GS. I guess the question is, was last week a fluke, and just everything worked for App that day, or is the team and the coaching staff, finally on the same page, and now ready to play up to their potential. Still got to go with Chatt here, 27-24, but now I feel alot better about our chances than I did 3 weeks ago.

Call me a skeptic on App's offensive output against Furman. Furman had the game easily in hand by at least the beginning of the third quarter, let App do whatever it wanted between the 20s, and kept them out of the endzone. A large chunk of the yards against Furman came on the final two drives of the game with the matter already decided.

I don't get a big buzz from yardage. The offense's goal is to put the ball in the endzone. To me, that's the only measure of a good offense (or vice versa, a good defense).

chattanoogamocs
October 28th, 2013, 01:42 PM

Yeah, a few weeks ago I felt confident that Chattanooga would go up and finally get a win in Boone...now I am scared to death...of course, I was also scared about the Mocs playing at Elon and the Citadel last week (and the Bulldogs play in that game confirmed reasons for being nervous).

Ought to be a heckuva game.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Obviously, I am biased...but I would argue that a career high 17 tackles in a game that matters (conference game) counts more than one big play in a paycheck game. :)

We can disagree. A linebacker making a bunch of tackles against a team that doesn't throw the ball is not all that impressive. A pick six against LSU in Tiger Stadium against Mettenberger is something that doesn't happen every day. Both had great games, though. :)

Interestingly, Cory Magwood (Furman linebacker) had 18 tackles against Gardner Webb in Week 1 and was not DPOW. In fact, I don't think any Paladin appeared on the list. Most thought Coach Fowler was so disgusted with the effort that he didn't even submit a player for consideration.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
gave to give Chatt some credit, they are finally showing some grit and heart this year, and winning some close games. Boone is going to be the ultimate test for them, they haven't beaten App since the early 80's, winning this game would eliminate a lot of "past demons", and maybe, finally turn the corner, and start setting their yearly goals towards winning SC championships, making the playoffs, and ultimately competing for a NC. This is a really big game for Chatt in terms of moving forward.

citdog
October 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
gave to give Chatt some credit, they are finally showing some grit and heart this year, and winning some close games. Boone is going to be the ultimate test for them, they haven't beaten App since the early 80's, winning this game would eliminate a lot of "past demons", and maybe, finally turn the corner, and start setting their yearly goals towards winning SC championships, making the playoffs, and ultimately competing for a NC. This is a really big game for Chatt in terms of moving forward.

boone has been one of the easiest places to win lately. the rock is shattered. hell there were empty seats there on saturday......the band wagon is being emptied.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 02:55 PM
boone has been one of the easiest places to win lately. the rock is shattered. hell there were empty seats there on saturday......the band wagon is being emptied.

Probably a bit drastic, as I do think it is still one of the premier venues in FCS football, but App is 5-6 over their last 11 home games (going back to the Montana win last season). The win against Georgia Southern was the first home win since they beat Furman at the Rock in 2012's regular season finale.

Hard to ignore the trend.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM
The Cit would love to have Apps "game day attendance problem", 1 and 6 team, nothing to play for, yet over 23000 tickets sold, told by people there at the game, probably 75 percent full, good student turnout, and the tailgating was as strong as ever, with the parking lots full of people grilling and having a great time. Apps worst attendance in the last 10 years is better than Cits best day. Kinda of sad actually, but understandable, when your going to the playoffs almost every year, one of the flagship programs in the FCS, winning SC and NC championships, your fanbase is going to be alot more loyal and still attend games, vs a program, that starts to looking forward to next season about mid October.

Eagle22
October 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM
The Cit would love to have Apps "game day attendance problem", 1 and 6 team, nothing to play for, yet over 23000 tickets sold, told by people there at the game, probably 75 percent full, good student turnout, and the tailgating was as strong as ever, with the parking lots full of people grilling and having a great time. Apps worst attendance in the last 10 years is better than Cits best day. Kinda of sad actually, but understandable, when your going to the playoffs almost every year, one of the flagship programs in the FCS, winning SC and NC championships, your fanbase is going to be alot more loyal and still attend games, vs a program, that starts to looking forward to next season about mid October.

Very solid attendance Saturday. I'd put it way more than 75% full ... I had the vantage point of both sides being on the field. At kickoff it was kind of sparse, but it really filled in midway through the 1st quarter.

citdog
October 28th, 2013, 03:15 PM

a 7500 drop off in attendance is not loyalty. unless y'all have a different definition for that word up there.

PaladinFan
October 28th, 2013, 03:28 PM

The concern I have for App State (and have voiced it for years on here) is that the fan attendance might see a comparable decline in attendance to the spike in attendance they saw when the team was gangbusters.

Not many college football programs double their attendance nearly overnight. The question I have, and will continue to have, is whether folks at a non-flagship school in a basketball state show up to see a losing team play in 10 degree weather against a non-rival. I don't think we'll know the answer to that for a few years.

AshevilleApp2
October 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
The concern I have for App State (and have voiced it for years on here) is that the fan attendance might see a comparable decline in attendance to the spike in attendance they saw when the team was gangbusters.

Not many college football programs double their attendance nearly overnight. The question I have, and will continue to have, is whether folks at a non-flagship school in a basketball state show up to see a losing team play in 10 degree weather against a non-rival. I don't think we'll know the answer to that for a few years.

Glad you care so much!

T-Dog
October 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I've never heard an official word on how GSU and App are treated this year. The SoCon website has their actual records and conference records listed, but notes both programs an ineligible for the post season or conference champs.

For example, the Big 10 website has Penn State's record, but notes with an asterisk that they are ineligible for the post season. They are certainly counting as conference losses and wins for their opponents. My impression is that if Furman gets an actual conference loss for losing to App or GSU, then their games count as well.

Wins and losses counts for everyone else, not for us because we have "an unfair advantage". Per the SoCon, we both will finish in a tie for 8th place at 0-0. It contradicted what was said at media day. Same thing for ODU last year, even though they didn't add scholarships so they stayed eligible for the post-season.

Penn State is different in that they're not transitioning, but rather simply punished by the NCAA by no post-season so the B1G made the ineligible for the B1G Title to protect their bowl game berths. They will have an official record, but with an asterisk. However we get the asterisk and the at sign because we're special like that.

Reign of Terrier
October 28th, 2013, 04:34 PM

He didn't play the whole game as he went out in the third with an injury

edit: I thought this was about Alvin Sceaneaux lol

Saint3333
October 28th, 2013, 04:50 PM
KBS seats 24,050, 23,901 were there on a Saturday in which snow fell the night before. App has averaged 28k in regular season attendance the last three years.

4k fell off the wagon.

It is no secret that App has band wagon fans. They are quick to quit and quick to follow. The base, the ones that donate money to the Yosef Club, buy season tickets, etc. were there. I'll start to worry when Yosef donations dip below $2.5 million and season tickets dip below 8,000.

If we'd like to discuss attendance problems let's discuss what Furman has become.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I was as proud and surprised by the attendance Sat., I was thinking probably 17- 19 thousand. Now, lets be fair, probably 3 or 4 thousand were GS fans, they travel, and support their team almost as well as App fans. As far as future attendance, ofcourse in the next 2 or 3 years attendance is going to drop. Hell, five years ago, Notre Dame attendance had dropped so much, that you could walk up on game day, and buy a ticket, The SEC this year is so concerned about attendance dropping they hired Disney, to try and get attendance up. But, I don't think, unless we go 0-12 for 2 or 3 straight years, we will drop below 20 thousand. App has built such a great game day atmosphere, including a tailgating scene that's second to none, and a student body, that really enjoys attending games, that we should be able to maintain a stable fanbase.

ASU_Fanatic
October 28th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Obviously bandwagon fans have to be expected for App! FCS programs don't have huge followings, let's face it. A lot of people that go to FCS schools in NC grew up NCSU or UNC fans or Duke fans, etc. They'll go to games and support the school while they are in college but when they get out it's back to their childhood team. This happened with a good bit of App alumni I'm sure, but when the team started winning National Championships and beating Michigan they became proud of their alma mater and started going back to games, a lot of them for the "social" aspect of it. I guarantee you a lot of these same people are the ones who leave at halftime in a 20-10 game. Luckily my dad and both of his brothers all went to App and continued supporting them and going to games even after they graduated. I've been going to games since I was 5-6 before App took it to the next level. App has been childhood team but I doubt there are many more like me. However for a 1-6 team I'd say 23k is still pretty frickin good.

I don't want to derail this thread any more though.

1. Samford - all by themselves here
2. Chattanooga - when firing on all cylinders they are better than Wofford slightly
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. App - I have to put them here after crushing GaSo
6. Citadel
7. Georgia Southern
8. Western
9. Elon

Samford 26 vs Citadel 20
Chattanooga 23 vs App 21 - I finally picked against App last week and look what happened. I'm a superstitious guy
Furman 16 vs Gerogia Southern 13 - GaSo looked horrible on both sides of the ball Saturday. I have to think they are feeling pretty deflated and have nothing to play for anymore. I say Furman wins an ugly, sloppy game here

citdog
October 28th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Obviously bandwagon fans have to be expected for App! FCS programs don't have huge followings, let's face it. A lot of people that go to FCS schools in NC grew up NCSU or UNC fans or Duke fans, etc. They'll go to games and support the school while they are in college but when they get out it's back to their childhood team. This happened with a good bit of App alumni I'm sure, but when the team started winning National Championships and beating Michigan they became proud of their alma mater and started going back to games, a lot of them for the "social" aspect of it. I guarantee you a lot of these same people are the ones who leave at halftime in a 20-10 game. Luckily my dad and both of his brothers all went to App and continued supporting them and going to games even after they graduated. I've been going to games since I was 5-6 before App took it to the next level. App has been childhood team but I doubt there are many more like me. However for a 1-6 team I'd say 23k is still pretty frickin good.

I don't want to derail this thread any more though.

1. Samford - all by themselves here
2. Chattanooga - when firing on all cylinders they are better than Wofford slightly
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. App - I have to put them here after crushing GaSo
6. Citadel
7. Georgia Southern
8. Western
9. Elon

Samford 26 vs Citadel 20
Chattanooga 23 vs App 21 - I finally picked against App last week and look what happened. I'm a superstitious guy
Furman 16 vs Gerogia Southern 13 - GaSo looked horrible on both sides of the ball Saturday. I have to think they are feeling pretty deflated and have nothing to play for anymore. I say Furman wins an ugly, sloppy game here

remember this?

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

yeah.....going to have to adjust #'s 5 and 6.

ElCid
October 28th, 2013, 09:03 PM

If you are talking about pure attendance, yup, App St wins hands down. But when you consider that App St has about 15K undergrads and The Citadel has about 2400, which school does better as a percentage of drawing alumni/student fans? Although The Citadel has a slight advantage in student attendance percentage each week for obvious reasons, let's look at the numbers.

App had about 26300 in average attendance in 2012, by far the best in FCS. The Citadel had an average of about 13,500 in 2012, 18th best in FCS. So while App had a bit under double their undergrad student population (15K) on average, the stadium capacity is obviously an issue that may prevents more. Still, it was over Stadium capacity, which is great. But on the flip side, The Citadel had over 5 times its undergrad size in average attendance which I think is easily one of the best in FCS, if not the best. That would take a little bit of research to determine. That is really outstanding Alumni support despite only 3 winning season in the last 10 years. Especially when you consider that so many of its alumni are scattered across the nation and overseas. And what is even more interesting, when you actually look at The Citadel's W/L record each year, the numbers do not change dramatically. They have actually gone up during losing seasons and following losing seasons. App St might do that well with only 3 winning seasons in 10 years since you are averaging at a little under 26K to date this year. But what happens if you string a bunch of 6-5, 5-6 seasons together? I am sure you will not do that bad, but....time will tell.

And for the record, the best attendance at The Citadel was 23,025 in '92. In the last 10 years we have also had a couple 19K & 20K crowds. As late as 2006 (7 years ago) App St had an attendances of 17K, 16K at another, 18K at another...so not quite up to The Cid's best day, eh? But yes, on average App St is doubling up El Cid's attendance. Congrats.

Saint3333
October 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
App even after three home playoff games still averaged over 20k in 2006.

not sure where you're getting your information.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 28th, 2013, 09:53 PM
okay, since we are going with numbers, the Cit has, per 2012 census data, 365,162 potential fans living in Charleston County, App on the other had has only 51, 871 living in Watuga County, point is it doesn't speak well of your football program when you can only draw 11-13 on average a game from that large of a potential fan base, I would love to see what App could draw if it had that kind of population within 30 miles of the University. Fact is, you talk about your alumni, and how proud you are of them coming home, and you should be, Cit alum are loyal to the school, but, I believe a study was done 5 or 6 years ago, determining that average distance the alumi traveled for every home games was around 2 hours, most came from Charlotte and Greenboro, and that's tough traveling in bad weather, especially when it snowing. Be proud of what you got in Cit, because Im dam proud of what they are building in Boone!!

ElCid
October 28th, 2013, 09:59 PM

Read it again. "Apps worst attendance in the last 10 years is better than Cits best day." I took it read worst one day attendance compared to our best one day attendance. If he meant yearly average he should have stated so clearly. It's an apples to apples thing. But I understand it was an off the cuff remark meant for impact and not necessarily accuracy. Yes it was over 20K average overall. But those attendance figures were as stated for single games at App in 2006 from the box scores. I think it was the Cid, Wofford and Mars Hill (Although I can understand that last one). I am too tired to look them all back up.

ElCid
October 28th, 2013, 10:20 PM
okay, since we are going with numbers, the Cit has, per 2012 census data, 365,162 potential fans living in Charleston County, App on the other had has only 51, 871 living in Watuga County, point is it doesn't speak well of your football program when you can only draw 11-13 on average a game from that large of a potential fan base, I would love to see what App could draw if it had that kind of population within 30 miles of the University. Fact is, you talk about your alumni, and how proud you are of them coming home, and you should be, Cit alum are loyal to the school, but, I believe a study was done 5 or 6 years ago, determining that average distance the alumi traveled for every home games was around 2 hours, most came from Charlotte and Greenboro, and that's tough traveling in bad weather, especially when it snowing. Be proud of what you got in Cit, because Im dam proud of what they are building in Boone!!

Oh I am proud. But since most fans are alumni, the casual non grad fans are not really a player for lower FBS and FCS teams. I am not counting relatives or ones who took a couple classes. I am talking "no connection" fans. Yes there are some exceptions but normally you do not get a lot of walk up support from the locals. Maybe App is different. Most locals want to go to Clemson or Carolina games. Although I am taking my mother-in-law to every game and she is a Gamecock. And you guys do travel well. I was always impressed with your travel crowd in Charleston, although it is a nice place to visit regardless. But the fan support at the Citadel is just as great, just a smaller pool of Alum. I personally travel 4 hours each way every home game for the last 6 years (since I retired and am close now, it was too far to travel from OK, NY, IL, or Guam). And I know two other guys here who travel every week as well. And you are right, I would not look forward to traveling up to Boone for those mid, late Nov, Dec games, so kudos. All I have to do is hold my breath every time I pass Statesboro on my way to Charleston.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Go look at 2004 and 2005. That is to say, go look before they won a national title. App was averaging between 15-16k a game. For the FCS (and even the SunBelt) that's good attendance. Still, teams don't just double their attendance in five years without some sort of bandwagon effect. It helps that App State, for a while, never lost and certainly never lost at home.

It is inarguable that winning boosts attendance. It does for App State, it does for Furman, it does for anyone. The question is still whether the same fannies are in the seats when the team isn't good. There's simply not enough information to make that call at this point.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 29th, 2013, 07:12 AM
as I said before, Apps attendance, unless something strange happens, like they are competitive for the Sun Belt conference championship in their first year, is going to drop, no question about it, as Paladinfan said, winning keeps people coming back, the real question is by how much, Im saying because of all the positives App provides on game day, tailgating etc, the attendance atleast for the first 3 or 4 years, will stay above 20 thousand.

walliver
October 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM
as I said before, Apps attendance, unless something strange happens, like they are competitive for the Sun Belt conference championship in their first year, is going to drop, no question about it, as Paladinfan said, winning keeps people coming back, the real question is by how much, Im saying because of all the positives App provides on game day, tailgating etc, the attendance atleast for the first 3 or 4 years, will stay above 20 thousand.

There is no reason to expect a dramatic change in attendance for 3-4 years regardless of how the team performs (within reason).
2014 will be a "historic" season and fans will want to go to the first FBS game, the first SunBelt game, etc.
2015 will be Apps first year at full FBS level, a few more firsts.
By 2016 the newness will have worn off, and attendance may start dropping if the team isn't winning.

I'm not FBS bashing, I think it will be interesting to see how Mercer's attendance holds up once they start playing a SoCon schedule next year.
I also expect ETSU to do well initially, but who know what happens after that.
The same can by said for UNCC.

Apphole
October 29th, 2013, 09:21 AM
The question is still whether the same fannies are in the seats when the team isn't good. There's simply not enough information to make that call at this point.

And the question was answered when 24k showed up to see a 1-6 team on Saturday...

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 09:23 AM
There is no reason to expect a dramatic change in attendance for 3-4 years regardless of how the team performs (within reason).
2014 will be a "historic" season and fans will want to go to the first FBS game, the first SunBelt game, etc.
2015 will be Apps first year at full FBS level, a few more firsts.
By 2016 the newness will have worn off, and attendance may start dropping if the team isn't winning.

I'm not FBS bashing, I think it will be interesting to see how Mercer's attendance holds up once they start playing a SoCon schedule next year.
I also expect ETSU to do well initially, but who know what happens after that.
The same can by said for UNCC.

Mercer's attendance has probably been comparable to many SoCon teams. They've been over 8,000 for every home game, with a high of over 12,000. Granted, some of that is newness of the program, but also they have more home games than any other Division 1 program, so I would imagine there's a bit of "home game fatigue" that has to be there as well.

I'm sure their attendance will stay steady next season. SoCon teams will travel better than a lot of these tiny college programs and far off universities Mercer has played this season. Given that they are dead center in Georgia and easily drivable for many alums in Atlanta, I don't see any reason why that will change.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM
walliver, agree with everything you said, I will add one thing, that not only effects App, but all schools, is the economy. Its been bad for the last 3 years, and it starting to have an effect on football attendance, people are getting to the point where they just cant afford tickets, gas, lodging, etc. Instead of attending all home games, they are picking and choosing games to attend. You know its starting to get bad when the SEC admits they have had a decrease in attendance, average around 10% per school, that they have hired outside firms to find ways to increase attendance.

Saint3333
October 29th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Go look at 2004 and 2005. That is to say, go look before they won a national title. App was averaging between 15-16k a game. For the FCS (and even the SunBelt) that's good attendance. Still, teams don't just double their attendance in five years without some sort of bandwagon effect. It helps that App State, for a while, never lost and certainly never lost at home.

It is inarguable that winning boosts attendance. It does for App State, it does for Furman, it does for anyone. The question is still whether the same fannies are in the seats when the team isn't good. There's simply not enough information to make that call at this point.

App averaged 18k in 2005 counting 3 playoffs games, one that had less than 12k before the first title.

We got a bump when Laney was replaced in 2005. The opening game following a 6-5 football season in 2004 App went from averaging 16k a game to drawing 23,200. Now the increase from that to 30k does include some winning band wagoners.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM
And the question was answered when 24k showed up to see a 1-6 team on Saturday...

I'm not talking about the most hyped game of the year against their biggest rival.

Look at it this way. App State averaged 26,300 last season. Their biggest home game of the season just drew 3,000 fewer people than last year's average. I'm not saying it's a guarantee, I'm just saying it's something to watch. A 15% drop in attendance from the Charleston Southern game (admittedly, family weekend) is not insignificant.

ASU's attendance spike didn't happen over night, nor will it recede overnight.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 10:02 AM
App averaged 18k in 2005 counting 3 playoffs games, one that had less than 12k before the first title.

We got a bump when Laney was replaced in 2005. The opening game following a 6-5 football season in 2004 App went from averaging 16k a game to drawing 23,200. Now the increase from that to 30k does include some winning band wagoners.

I'm not arguing App didn't have good attendance. It's a big school with a lot of folks and generally good attendance. Even the most skeptical, though, has to agree that doubling attendance in a five year period is almost impossible to sustain. Where were those fans for the previous 30 years?

catamount man
October 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM
walliver, agree with everything you said, I will add one thing, that not only effects App, but all schools, is the economy. Its been bad for the last 3 years, and it starting to have an effect on football attendance, people are getting to the point where they just cant afford tickets, gas, lodging, etc. Instead of attending all home games, they are picking and choosing games to attend. You know its starting to get bad when the SEC admits they have had a decrease in attendance, average around 10% per school, that they have hired outside firms to find ways to increase attendance.

Schools, at the FBS level anyway, need to reduce prices if they want more asses in the seats. Period.

walliver
October 29th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Schools, at the FBS level anyway, need to reduce prices if they want more asses in the seats. Period.

I wonder if the SEC is reaching oversaturation. Just about every SEC game is on TV somewhere. SEC expansion, just like everybody elses expansion at the BCS level, has been driven by media markets. The SEC's attention has been directed more towards TV than the game-day experience. The same be said about the B1G adding Maryland and Rutgers. Tickets can be very expensive, plus you likely need to donate thousands of dollars to get the privilege to buy those seats. Gas at $3.50 a gallon adds to the cost. I'm envious of the RV's at tailgating until I think about how expensive it is to travel in one of those.

When the economy picks up, SEC attendance will pick up, but I doubt the BCS arms race with rapidly escalating budgets will be sustainable.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 29th, 2013, 11:56 AM
its interesting you guys mention ticket prices as maybe the main reason fans are staying away, read an article, I guess 2 or 3 months ago, where the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac 12, Big 12, all agreed they had a growing attendance problem, and they agreed on a list of reasons, but the one reason that was absent on that list was,, the most obvious, that ticket prices were too expensive. Got the feeling that they were either in denial, or they just refuse to admit ticket prices are too high, and they refuse to even entertain the idea of lowering the price.

Saint3333
October 29th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm not arguing App didn't have good attendance. It's a big school with a lot of folks and generally good attendance. Even the most skeptical, though, has to agree that doubling attendance in a five year period is almost impossible to sustain. Where were those fans for the previous 30 years?

2002 App's enrollment was 12,500, it is 18,000 today. The average age of alumni is 33. I don't believe it is high at 24k this year, I believe App didn't try previously, things have changed from the Laney days.

ElCid
October 29th, 2013, 06:07 PM

That is a good, no, it is a great turn out, but the real test will be if? when? App St every strings 2 or 3 losing season together. It is easy to say that will never happen, but that will be the test and not one bad season during a transition year. My only concern for you all is when App starts playing teams that nobody (App fans) really cares about. The history and rivalry of you playing in the SOCON is more than just playing the same teams every year. You have friends and families who know alumni of the other schools. I even have relatives (distant) who went to App St. Players were recruited form the same areas and either know opponents or at least know of some other players. That may still be true but not to the extent it is now. Once the novelty of a new conference wears off, will the excitement still be there? Probably, but it might be challenging to get up for putting a beat down on Texas St or South Alabama. Just an observation from a SOCON fan who honestly wishes you well.

Skjellyfetti
October 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Hmmm.

We heard attendance would fall off a cliff after the Michigan game wore off.

We heard attendance would fall off a cliff after we stopped winning national championships.

We heard attendance would fall off a cliff with a losing season.

Now we hear attendance will fall off a cliff with several losing season in a row.

Got it. xrotatehx

ElCid
October 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hmmm.

Now we hear attendance will fall off a cliff with several losing season in a row.

Not will. Could. Or not. But that will be the real test. Not this lone year. I think you will pass, but a test it will be, IF you ever do have multi losing seasons. And with Apps history that would be unusual.

citdog
October 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hmmm.

We heard attendance would fall off a cliff after we stopped winning national championships.

Got it. xrotatehx

it fell off last week

Apphole
October 29th, 2013, 08:18 PM
it fell off last week

If falling off means still doubling the average SoCon attendance and sitting at the top of the Sun Belt in the same respect, I'm fine with it. It certainly doesn't hurt my feeling to see one guy on an FCS message board insisting on looking at it that way.

The most important thing to me is atmosphere and it was there by the bushel on Saturday.

P.S. The picture per our wager is going to have to land in my sig. I don't want to lose my App State Hunter Thompson picture I made. I don't have the original file anymore.

PaladinFan
October 29th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Hmmm.

Got it. xrotatehx

For the record, I've posted on here going on what, six or seven years, and I've never seen anyone say any of that. I've said multiple times that with App's move to the FBS, we don't know how their attendance will respond.

App had a huge attendance spike. Inarguable. Huge attendance spikes are not common. There is good reason to assume that it may not last. There's no way to know until we get down the road.

ThompsonThe
October 30th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Not concerned with attendance at all.

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Not concerned with attendance at all.

No one argues App's attendance is poor. I just think the 30,000 folks a game and full stadium will be a fond memory in a few years. No team in the SunBelt does that. In fact, only one team in the SunBelt averages in attendance what App did last year in the SoCon.

CID1990
October 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM
P.S. The picture per our wager is going to have to land in my sig. I don't want to lose my App State Hunter Thompson picture I made. I don't have the original file anymore.

Mmmmm hmm.

Saint3333
October 30th, 2013, 07:52 AM
No one argues App's attendance is poor. I just think the 30,000 folks a game and full stadium will be a fond memory in a few years. No team in the SunBelt does that. In fact, only one team in the SunBelt averages in attendance what App did last year in the SoCon.

What your conference members average doesn't really impact your average.

No team in the SoCon averages more than 16,000 except GSU, that certainly hasn't stopped App from averaging 28k a year.

Attendance will be just north of 20k this week so go ahead and predict doom and gloom after next week as well.

What impact do you think signing a home game with an ECU or ACC program will do to season ticket sales? It may be four years down the line, but it will happen.

SCPALADIN
October 30th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I find this discussion rather shallow and pedantic.

...back to rankings/predictions

boonegoon
October 30th, 2013, 09:33 AM
While, I agree with those who say that some of the Louisiana schools and South Alabama may not generate as much buzz as some of our current rivals, some of the others may. GSU will always draw a large number for us, plus there is opportunity for schools like Wake, ECU and other out of conference foes that will be popular. Also, I imagine we will host the occasional SOCON team going forward as well.

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2013, 09:37 AM
What your conference members average doesn't really impact your average.

No team in the SoCon averages more than 16,000 except GSU, that certainly hasn't stopped App from averaging 28k a year.

Attendance will be just north of 20k this week so go ahead and predict doom and gloom after next week as well.

What impact do you think signing a home game with an ECU or ACC program will do to season ticket sales? It may be four years down the line, but it will happen.

It will absolutely boost attendance. That is quite evident in the SunBelt numbers, which clearly show that the majority of "high attendance games" are against local SEC teams with large fan bases.

It may stabilize, it may decline. The gist of my point is that we don't know, and won't know for probably five years the effect of the move.

Apphole
October 30th, 2013, 09:55 AM

If other teams in the conference determined App's attendance we would have had <10k for our entire tenure on the SoCon.

Saint3333
October 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
It will absolutely boost attendance. That is quite evident in the SunBelt numbers, which clearly show that the majority of "high attendance games" are against local SEC teams with large fan bases.

It may stabilize, it may decline. The gist of my point is that we don't know, and won't know for probably five years the effect of the move.

Your tone and predictions have shifted during this thread, but I can agree with this.

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Yay, another thread derailed by Furman and Citadel fans talking about App's attendance figures.

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2013, 11:29 AM

I'm amazed at how interested--really interested--you are in App's attendance figures.

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
it fell off last week

I'm surprised you stopped fapping long enough to post.

OL FU
October 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Yay, another thread derailed by Furman and Citadel fans talking about App's attendance figures.

Your Attendance figures are great.xnodx

Everything else sucks:)

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I'm amazed at how interested--really interested--you are in App's attendance figures.

I'm interested in SoCon football. App State makes a move because they've "outgrown" the conference. I think that is probably true.

App's most attractive asset to FCS teams, in my opinion, is their well above-average attendance and game day atmosphere. I think even App fans would admit that. I have also been around long enough to remember when App State didn't have extravagant game day attendance. Most of you have too (though doubtfully for Apphole).

I've made the point several years now that my biggest concern (which is not a concern at all, because it doesn't change anyone's mind) for App State is that they do not know how their "market" will react to losing. They are losing this season, and seeing a decline in attendance (which is expected). I, and many of you, also expect that App is heading for some lean years in football. The team is getting worn out in the SoCon right now, and soon will be in a higher classification with tougher teams on a week to week basis.

The limit of my interest is you have somewhat of an anomaly. App is a program that drew well by FCS standards for a long time. They got really good over a relatively short period of time, and their attendance exploded to the tune of nearly doubling in a five or six year stretch. That's unheard of. I'm just interested to see what happens when they start losing. That is, whether the "new normal" will revert back closer to the pre-2005 numbers, or be more akin to the post-2005 numbers, or (more likely) be somewhere in between.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 30th, 2013, 11:59 AM
agree, if App becomes a middle of the pack SBC team, for the next 5-6 years, I would imagine the attendance will drop on average to probably around 20,000 a game. I think one of the interesting thing going forward for App is will they increase stadium capacity, especially with a new Chancellor coming in. As crazy as that sounds, the administration has, when asked about expansion, has never given a definite yes or no, their stance seems to be that if the demand is great enough, over a certain period of time, that they would not have a problem pulling the trigger for more permanent seating. Going to be interesting the next 5 years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 30th, 2013, 12:13 PM
agree, if App becomes a middle of the pack SBC team, for the next 5-6 years, I would imagine the attendance will drop on average to probably around 20,000 a game. I think one of the interesting thing going forward for App is will they increase stadium capacity, especially with a new Chancellor coming in. As crazy as that sounds, the administration has, when asked about expansion, has never given a definite yes or no, their stance seems to be that if the demand is great enough, over a certain period of time, that they would not have a problem pulling the trigger for more permanent seating. Going to be interesting the next 5 years.

It will take more than being a mid-level SBC for App. State's attendance to fall that far. It's not like App has an in-state team with even close to as much of a following as UGA. Even Georgia Tech has trouble competing with UGA for fandom and they are as high or higher than any NC college team in the pecking order.

Now if GSU flounders in the Sun Belt, things will get quieter in the stadium on game days.

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Your Attendance figures are great.xnodx

Everything else sucks:)

Ehh...some things, but not everything. Our location is quite nice...

Skjellyfetti
October 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
the administration has, when asked about expansion, has never given a definite yes or no, their stance seems to be that if the demand is great enough, over a certain period of time, that they would not have a problem pulling the trigger for more permanent seating. Going to be interesting the next 5 years.

Not sure exactly what you are referencing when you say the administration has never given a definitive yes or no...

But, the Strategic Plan released by the athletic department in February 2013 calls for an expansion to Kidd Brewer stadium.

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I'm interested in SoCon football. App State makes a move because they've "outgrown" the conference. I think that is probably true.

App's most attractive asset to FCS teams, in my opinion, is their well above-average attendance and game day atmosphere. I think even App fans would admit that. I have also been around long enough to remember when App State didn't have extravagant game day attendance. Most of you have too (though doubtfully for Apphole).

I've made the point several years now that my biggest concern (which is not a concern at all, because it doesn't change anyone's mind) for App State is that they do not know how their "market" will react to losing. They are losing this season, and seeing a decline in attendance (which is expected). I, and many of you, also expect that App is heading for some lean years in football. The team is getting worn out in the SoCon right now, and soon will be in a higher classification with tougher teams on a week to week basis.

The limit of my interest is you have somewhat of an anomaly. App is a program that drew well by FCS standards for a long time. They got really good over a relatively short period of time, and their attendance exploded to the tune of nearly doubling in a five or six year stretch. That's unheard of. I'm just interested to see what happens when they start losing. That is, whether the "new normal" will revert back closer to the pre-2005 numbers, or be more akin to the post-2005 numbers, or (more likely) be somewhere in between.

Well, we're barely in the SoCon at this point as we're not included in the standings.

I have been around quite a while, and certainly longer than Apphole. I also get your point, I just don't see why you're so interested in App's attendance...to the point that you would discuss it for "several years." I've honestly never looked up Furman's attendance figures and have never had a desire to. Of course we don't know, with any kind of certainty, what will happen with our attendance--that's not some sort of amazing insight. I would suspect that it will be somewhere in-between, but I'm still amazed at how interested you are in App's attendance figures in the past, currently, and in the future--I think it's odd.

Outside of this particular topic, I've always enjoyed your post--these I just don't get.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 30th, 2013, 01:40 PM
yes the strategic plan recommended a stadium seating capacity increase, but, to my knowledge, it gave no specifics, not when they would begin construction, not when they would have it completed, not how it would be funded, or even the amount they would spend, and don't forget this is just a recommendation from the athletic dept, this still has to be approved by the board of trustees. Unless something has happen that I don't know about, which is entirely possible, since I know very little whats going on in Boone, just what I read, its seems to me, at this moment, because of lack of specifics, they could begin construction a month from now, 10 years from now, or never.

PaladinFan
October 30th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Well, we're barely in the SoCon at this point as we're not included in the standings.

I have been around quite a while, and certainly longer than Apphole. I also get your point, I just don't see why you're so interested in App's attendance...to the point that you would discuss it for "several years." I've honestly never looked up Furman's attendance figures and have never had a desire to. Of course we don't know, with any kind of certainty, what will happen with our attendance--that's not some sort of amazing insight. I would suspect that it will be somewhere in-between, but I'm still amazed at how interested you are in App's attendance figures in the past, currently, and in the future--I think it's odd.

Outside of this particular topic, I've always enjoyed your post--these I just don't get.

Frankly, Furman's not moving anywhere and our fan base hasn't spent (quite literally) years on this forum beating pots and pans about how they've outgrown the conference.

If it makes you feel better, I haven't bothered to look at other school's attendance numbers other than App. I find it interesting for the same reasons I find a lot of stuff interesting, it is just a bizarre thing in sports that really hasn't appeared to happen before. Like it belongs in a Gladwell's book "Tipping Point."

ASUMountaineer
October 30th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Frankly, Furman's not moving anywhere and our fan base hasn't spent (quite literally) years on this forum beating pots and pans about how they've outgrown the conference.

If it makes you feel better, I haven't bothered to look at other school's attendance numbers other than App. I find it interesting for the same reasons I find a lot of stuff interesting, it is just a bizarre thing in sports that really hasn't appeared to happen before. Like it belongs in a Gladwell's book "Tipping Point."

That's fine, though you appear to agree with them that App has outgrown the conference--so, frankly, that would seem irrelevant.

I don't need to feel better, I just find your interest with App's attendance to be odd...especially spending "several years" posting about it...

asu3peat
October 30th, 2013, 02:58 PM
The spike in attendance after 2004 can be directly attributed to two occurrences: the hiring of Cobb who came in and created a game day atmosphere which allowed tailgating to explode on campus and winning.

citdog
October 30th, 2013, 03:01 PM
That's fine, though you appear to agree with them that App has outgrown the conference--so, frankly, that would seem irrelevant.

I don't need to feel better, I just find your interest with App's attendance to be odd...especially spending "several years" posting about it...

you BOTH suck.

furman just sucks a little more.

ASUMountaineer
October 31st, 2013, 02:27 PM
you BOTH suck.

furman just sucks a little more.

Excellent addition to the thread. Keep up the good work, bellhop!

CID1990
October 31st, 2013, 04:04 PM
Excellent addition to the thread. Keep up the good work, bellhop!

It's the most concise and accurate post in this thread so far!

Touchdown Citadel!!

ASUMountaineer
November 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
It's the most concise and accurate post in this thread so far!

Touchdown Citadel!!

Yup, his rankings/predictions were AMAZING!

That's cool. Step into 2013 though, CID...it's "Field Goal Citadel!!"

CID1990
November 1st, 2013, 08:12 AM
Yup, his rankings/predictions were AMAZING!

That's cool. Step into 2013 though, CID...it's "Field Goal Citadel!!"

I know.

But Field Goal Citadel just doesn't have that ring to it.

SpeedkingATL
November 1st, 2013, 08:43 AM
I know.

No but that cannon you guys fired after every score sure had a ring to it. Scared the crap out of me the first time.

OL FU
November 1st, 2013, 09:41 AM
No but that cannon you guys fired after every score sure had a ring to it. Scared the crap out of me the first time.

Did the same thing to the Star of the West.xnodx

After that, not so much:)

CID1990
November 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM
Those cannons are a lot quieter than they were 20 years ago. There used to be a line of cadets with Springfield muskets who would fire in sequence leading up to a double cannon shot.

About 10 years ago the school administration gave in to neighborhood complaints and got rid of the muskets, went to one cannon shot, and I am pretty sure they lowered the powder charges.

Back in the day those things would shake your innards from across the field.

ASUMountaineer
November 1st, 2013, 11:34 AM
I know.

True story...the end result is the same for me. xbawlingx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Looks like Samford is in trouble. Down 2 with just over a minute left and El Cid has the ball.

citdog
November 2nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Looks like Samford is in trouble. Down 2 with just over a minute left and El Cid has the ball.

OVER....

Cadets 28
Samford 26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n4izWmWug

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
12,220 the attendance at the last Furman/GSU game today. No, the game was not in Greenville.

Best of luck in the SunBelt, Eagles. Hope it's everything you hoped it'd be.