PDA

View Full Version : Bearkat QB,Bomar, sends apology letter to NCAA

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Trying to speed up the decision process.

In an effort to get reinstated, former Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar sent a letter to the NCAA apologizing for his actions which led to his dismissal from the Sooners football team, The Dallas Morning News reported.

"I know the difference between right and wrong," Bomar wrote, according to The News. "I had no intention of taking money for not working. I got caught up in a situation and listened to the wrong person. I made a very bad mistake."

Bomar reportedly wrote that he "got caught up in the limelight" and embarrassed himself, his family and the University of Oklahoma by accepting money from a booster.

The Dallas Morning News received the letter as part of an open records request from Sam Houston State, Bomar's new school. Sam Houston State athletic director Bobby Williams said he initiated the paperwork to get Bomar reinstated to play and the university hopes to hear an answer later this month.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2612449

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Dallas Morning News article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/100406dnspooulede.321f67f.html

eaglesrthe1
October 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Mmmm...that doesn't sound like an apology to me. It's sounds like an "It's not really my fault statement".

"I had no intention of taking money for not working.

He should have left that sentence out.

GeauxLions94
October 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Mmmm...that doesn't sound like an apology to me. It's sounds like an "It's not really my fault statement".

Me neither. It sounds like, "OK you caught me. I apologize. Now let me play."

With nearly half the season gone (and that's without a decision on when he's going to be reinstated), it would be foolish for RB to play this year since he has three years of eligibility left. :twocents:

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM

He should have left that sentence out.

OK, 1, IF UNI had Bomar at the NC, we would have won. How's that?

:D

eaglesrthe1
October 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM
OK, 1, IF UNI had Bomar at the NC, we would have won. How's that?

:D

I think that the QB you had was plenty good.:nod:

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Me neither. It sounds like, "OK you caught me. I apologize. Now let me play."

With nearly half the season gone (and that's without a decision on when he's going to be reinstated), it would be foolish for RB to play this year since he has three years of eligibility left. :twocents:

He took the time to send the NCAA a letter of apology. I don't think it matters how it "sounds" to us, just how the NCAA takes it.

I for one hope they reinstate him immediatly!:nod: :thumbsup:
Odds are, that won't happen.:bawling:

TexasTerror
October 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I really think we'll know something either way here in the next few weeks...

The bright side is, we'll more than likely have him for two full years. We could probably use him this year too, getting us over the hump if we need it...but I am pretty satisfied with things...

walliver
October 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
If Maurice Clarett writes a letter of apology, can he come back and play, too? (After he gets out of jail or course - hey, maybe if he writes a letter of apology to the police he can avoid jail and get back on the field - I've heard Marshall is holding a scholarship for him)

I player who is kicked off a team for taking payments from boosters should sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility:twocents: To let someone break the rules and then come back on the field just by saying he's sorry sends the wrong message. On the other hand, any punishment over one year is excessive (It's not like he can sign a minor league contract or play in a European league).:twocents:

slycat
October 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
why didnt he write this letter weeks ago? all of a sudden he writes one "in an effort to get reinstated." not a true apology if you ask me. sam could use him though.

kats89
October 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
If Maurice Clarett writes a letter of apology, can he come back and play, too? (After he gets out of jail or course - hey, maybe if he writes a letter of apology to the police he can avoid jail and get back on the field - I've heard Marshall is holding a scholarship for him)

I player who is kicked off a team for taking payments from boosters should sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility:twocents: To let someone break the rules and then come back on the field just by saying he's sorry sends the wrong message. On the other hand, any punishment over one year is excessive (It's not like he can sign a minor league contract or play in a European league).:twocents:

Maurice Clarett? that is not even close to this. Clarett is a thug plain and simple. That's why he is in prison.:twocents:

RobsPics
October 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a nice letter to me.

I'm sure the AD read it first...or maybe even wrote it.

NSUDemon98
October 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I for one hope they reinstate him immediatly!:nod: :thumbsup:
.:bawling:

I bet you do....:smiley_wi

siugrad99
October 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I bet the Car Dealership proof read it for him. He should sit the entire season and lose the year of eligibility THEN petition to be allowed to play.

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 10:20 PM
why didnt he write this letter weeks ago? all of a sudden he writes one "in an effort to get reinstated." not a true apology if you ask me. sam could use him though.

I believe it was written in August. It just now got to the press that he wrote it.

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I bet the Car Dealership proof read it for him. He should sit the entire season and lose the year of eligibility THEN petition to be allowed to play.

Ok, Mr. Perfect :rolleyes:

siugrad99
October 4th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Well I can tell you I never went out and took hundreds of dollars knowing full well I was breaking NCAA rules and could cost my team and university by doing so not to mention my own future. He knew what he was doing and knew it was wrong, yet he still did it. Bottomline he must pay for his actions and I think 1 year of eligibility and not being able to play this season is fair. Of course you feel different because he's on your team. I can honestly say I would feel this way regardless of what team he was on even if it were mine.

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Well I can tell you I never went out and took hundreds of dollars knowing full well I was breaking NCAA rules and could cost my team and university by doing so not to mention my own future. He knew what he was doing and knew it was wrong, yet he still did it. Bottomline he must pay for his actions and I think 1 year of eligibility and not being able to play this season is fair. Of course you feel different because he's on your team. I can honestly say I would feel this way regardless of what team he was on even if it were mine.

I can honestly say I would feel the way I do if he wern't on my team.

siugrad99
October 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
To think he should go unpunished is laughable. What he did was a serious offense and if they take it lightly the message sent is it's Ok to break the rules in 1A as you always can drop down to 1AA for a chance to further your career. Sad to think that people find his actions Ok.

blackfordpu
October 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
To think he should go unpunished is laughable. What he did was a serious offense and if they take it lightly the message sent is it's Ok to break the rules in 1A as you always can drop down to 1AA for a chance to further your career. Sad to think that people find his actions Ok.

I never said his actions were ok but, he is being punished as we speak. He has sat out 4 games (5 weeks). He will most likely be out for at least another two weeks.

A guy in the NFL got that for stomping on someone's bare head with spikes.

patssle
October 4th, 2006, 10:36 PM
and how long did those guys at UT get for drugs?

siugrad99
October 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
how that has anything to do with someone who was actually found guilty is beyond me, but if you want to bring it up it was my understand neither player tested positive. Charge them with possesion and see what the court says. Apples and Oranges people.

RobsPics
October 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
too many playa haters these days

blackfordpu
October 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM
how that has anything to do with someone who was actually found guilty is beyond me, but if you want to bring it up it was my understand neither player tested positive. Charge them with possesion and see what the court says. Apples and Oranges people.

Oh, so having the drugs is ok as long as you don't test positive?

Come on!:rolleyes:

siugrad99
October 6th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Again trying to take away from the current situation with Bomar and bring in other situations. Deal with that at another time. This is about a kid who knowingly cheated and should pay the price. Honestly I believe the proper punishment should be suspended for the season,loss of year of eligibility & must pay his own way & cannot get a scholarship. He should have thought about what he did before he did it. Paying it back after the fact doesn't change anything.

blackfordpu
October 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Again trying to take away from the current situation with Bomar and bring in other situations. Deal with that at another time. This is about a kid who knowingly cheated and should pay the price. Honestly I believe the proper punishment should be suspended for the season,loss of year of eligibility & must pay his own way & cannot get a scholarship. He should have thought about what he did before he did it. Paying it back after the fact doesn't change anything.

That is way over the top. There is no precident for a punishment like that. The NCAA has to keep his punishment in line with others like it and keep it less severe for violations worse than it.

GrizFoo
October 7th, 2006, 12:28 AM

That is over the top, IMO. But you are welcome to your opinion. So what should the OK do about the booster who enticed the kid with money, and surely convinced him that it was no big deal "we do it all the time"?

Revoke season tickets, suspension from renewing for some time? Kicked out of the booster club?

And what about the coach who has probably been sending guys to that dealership for jobs since he's been there. Does the University bear any blame or the coaches? Or is the 19 y/o kid (or whatever they are) who get a scholarship and a chance to play football, and helps the U generate millions of dollars, the only one to who was at fault?

Is it the fact that he broke a rule (did not cheat, btw) or the fact that he got an extra few thousand dollars why you think the punishment should be so harsh?

McNeese75
October 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Is it the fact that he broke a rule (did not cheat, btw) or the fact that he got an extra few thousand dollars why you think the punishment should be so harsh?

Hummmm, let's compare this to not reporting income on your tax return and you are sitting in front of the IRS agent trying to explain those "extra few thousand dollars" that did not get reported on your return. Good luck with the "I broke a rule but did not cheat" argument. xlolx

blackfordpu
October 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hummmm, let's compare this to not reporting income on your tax return and you are sitting in front of the IRS agent trying to explain those "extra few thousand dollars" that did not get reported on your return. Good luck with the "I broke a rule but did not cheat" argument. xlolx

Cheating implies that it gave his TEAM an unfair advantage. This violation obviously did not do that.

McNeese75
October 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Cheating implies that it gave his TEAM an unfair advantage. This violation obviously did not do that.

Sorry, we have a difference of opinion. Since when is that the definition of cheating?

What about giving himself an unfair advantage???? How about the "HONEST" player who works and is paid a fair (and comparable) wage for what he actually does???

siugrad99
October 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
He KNOWINGLY took the $ and knew it was wrong. He was given an unfair advantage over 99.9 percent of the OU campus because of his name. The NCAA should penalize harsh to deture this from happening in the future. If you or I did something like take a few grand illegally I don't think we'd be given a basic free pass which is what he'll be getting if he doesn't lose any eligibility. As for my stance on the scholarship, why reward someone with a full ride when he isn't mature enough to handle it. There are plenty of players now with SHSU that aren't on full rides that work their butt off everyday and didn't violate NCAA rules that deserve it before this clown.