PDA

View Full Version : Shakir Bell Released

catbob
October 22nd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Twitter world reporting Bell is no longer on the team.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
No official confirmation but this is pretty big. I wonder if they could just do a continuously running clock on Saturday? Might be better for them.

NDSUstudent
October 22nd, 2013, 02:28 PM
There might be some bigger issues to this program than people know. Just turned into a "name-your-score" game for the Bison.

NDSUstudent
October 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Shakir Bell@Two2_Gone (https://twitter.com/Two2_Gone)
My dismissal from the team comes with no hard feelings & I realize this will have a negative outlook on me but if anyone has questions hml

Todd Golden‏@TribStarTodd (https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd)
ISU coach Mike Sanford said Shakir Bell suffered a season-ending foot injury and will not be available for the rest of the season.

Todd Golden‏@TribStarTodd
When I asked Sanford if Bell's tweet -- in which he said he was dismissed -- was accurate, he also declined to comment.

Todd Golden‏@TribStarTodd (https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd)
Bizarre situation. I think there's genuine surprise at ISU football about Bell's tweet. Either way, Shakir Bell's ISU career is over.

Twentysix
October 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Shakir could have played in the NFL if he was a bison, to bad.

Professor Chaos
October 22nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
I had heard that he wanted to declare for the draft after Miles left but the new coach talked him into coming back. It's been a tough year for him, hopefully he's still able to get his shot in front of NFL scouts in the spring.

I don't think this will have too much of an impact on the game on Saturday anyway. ISU's probability to win went from 1% to 0.01% is all.

Yotes
October 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Amazing how quickly that program turned to shambles again.

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2013, 03:38 PM
Carson Wentz in after halftime with the 2nd & 3rd stringers...good amount of playing time late in the season for them to prepare for the playoff run.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 22nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
The ISUb board has turned on Bell. Saying this is the best move and stuff like that. He could have run for mayor of Terre Haute last year.

JayJ79
October 22nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
It would be interesting to hear the story behind all of this, though it may never come out (and I suppose it's not really any of our business).

JayJ79
October 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
seems to me that the whole team (and/or fanbase) was relying on Bell for success, but without much of a supporting cast, and with mounting nagging injuries taking their toll....

A D-I football team has to have more than just a good runningback, otherwise opponents can key their defense on him. Plus relying too heavily on one RB eventually wears on him and injuries are inevitable.

Of course, I'm no expert on Sycamore football, so this is all just speculation about the situation.

underdawg
October 22nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
It looked like he had a leg injury in watching the game against the Redbirds--but you guys are right --had to be other things too.

IBleedYellow
October 22nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Well, we have no excuse if we lose this weekend...

Bisonator
October 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
Bell was one of the best backs I've had the pleasure to watch. He played his heart out the last 3 years and was a thorn in the Bison's sides. He took a killing in the games I saw. I think he was even concussed in last years NDSU game but only missed a couple plays before he was back in there. Tough kid but that and being on a piss poor team had to have taken it's toll. I don't know what all went down but he deserved better then that IMO. I wish him well in the future.

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2013, 06:50 PM
He has had one game this year where he wasn't injured.

JayJ79
October 22nd, 2013, 08:07 PM
Bell was one of the best backs I've had the pleasure to watch. He played his heart out the last 3 years and was a thorn in the Bison's sides. He took a killing in the games I saw. I think he was even concussed in last years NDSU game but only missed a couple plays before he was back in there. Tough kid but that and being on a piss poor team had to have taken it's toll. I don't know what all went down but he deserved better then that IMO. I wish him well in the future.

Seems like alot of players end up with concussions or other injuries when playing against NDSU. What are you, the New Orleans Saints?

Bisonator
October 22nd, 2013, 08:13 PM
Seems like alot of players end up with concussions or other injuries when playing against NDSU. What are you, the New Orleans Saints?

Nope just a hardnosed physical football team. You know the kind that used to be plentiful before the wussy momma boys started playing!

NoDak 4 Ever
October 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Nope just a hardnosed physical football team. You know the kind that used to be plentiful before the wussy momma boys started playing!

Stop it. You know one of the Bison O linemen threw Jake Farley's Defensive End onto his leg and broke it.

Sycamore62
October 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
I've seen about every game I could since they hired Miles (the previous staff didn't care much about former players). Bell got up shakey on about every 3rd carry. Watching him was so fun though. He just never seemed to get healthy after he got hurt in the Indiana game. He had 113 yards with 1:20 left in the 1st half when he got hurt. He sat out and probably would have been the difference maker against Purdue. Then sat out for another week and an off week and came back against Tenn. Tech with 269 total yards (201/68). Then he started the Youngstown St game with an injured foot and got hurt and I think this may be part of whatever is going on right now.

This is 4 running backs that I can think of Indiana St has had that took so much abuse they couldn't complete their Senior Year.

JayJ79
October 22nd, 2013, 09:21 PM

and wussy mommas boy refs that start throwing flags for tackling too hard on a perfectly clean hit. (reference to a call made in the UNI/USD game).

PanthersBlue
October 23rd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Local TV spent all day on Tuesday bouncing back and forth from, he was on the team, then he was off the team. By the evening news the fianlly confirmed that he had been dismissed from the team. Real weird story.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 23rd, 2013, 11:17 AM
I've seen about every game I could since they hired Miles (the previous staff didn't care much about former players). Bell got up shakey on about every 3rd carry. Watching him was so fun though. He just never seemed to get healthy after he got hurt in the Indiana game. He had 113 yards with 1:20 left in the 1st half when he got hurt. He sat out and probably would have been the difference maker against Purdue. Then sat out for another week and an off week and came back against Tenn. Tech with 269 total yards (201/68). Then he started the Youngstown St game with an injured foot and got hurt and I think this may be part of whatever is going on right now.

This is 4 running backs that I can think of Indiana St has had that took so much abuse they couldn't complete their Senior Year.

It seems that the folks at Sycamore Pride have turned very strongly against Mr. Bell and are supporting Sanford. Ask the folks in Las Vegas how well that worked out.

skinny_uncle
October 23rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
And Indy State returns to its status as the Valley doormat.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 23rd, 2013, 12:50 PM
And Indy State returns to its status as the Valley doormat.

It's so bizzare. From being basically a win away from the playoffs in 2011 to losing now both Miles and Bell and going into a death spiral. Miles can't think this was a move up at all.

MplsBison
October 23rd, 2013, 03:53 PM
Amazing how quickly that program turned to shambles again.

Let's just say this: I've always been suspicious of how Miles was able to get talent to Terre Haute when no one else in recent history has been.

Now I'm wondering if Bell is being asked to leave the program to save it from investigation?

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Let's just say this: I've always been suspicious of how Miles was able to get talent to Terre Haute when no one else in recent history has been.

Now I'm wondering if Bell is being asked to leave the program to save it from investigation?

Probably not, he was just a good coach. Making accusations like that without a shred of proof is a bad way to live your life.

penguinpower
October 23rd, 2013, 05:49 PM

Bell was a spectacular runner especially when he was healthy. He means a lot to the Sycamore Offense and probably the team. Weird that he is no longer part of the team.

Darlinikki150
October 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
I find this story just odd. With the weird tweets from Bell to the flip flopping stories in the media. Something just seems really off about this situation. Its a loss for the team, I'm not as excited for Saturdays game. I feel like it just might be a blow out, and those are no fun to watch.

thebootfitter
October 23rd, 2013, 06:14 PM

Probably not, he was just a good coach. Making accusations like that without a shred of proof is a bad way to live your life.
Amen to that, 26.

taper
October 23rd, 2013, 06:18 PM

Terra Haute does have a place to keep criminals...

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 23rd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Too bad, SB was a really good RB. It would have been nice to have him play against the Bison.

Sycamore62
October 23rd, 2013, 09:59 PM
I've been to all of the old Gateway school town and some OVC towns. Terre Haute is a paradise compared to a few of them. It's my understanding that SB had no other scholarship offers.

If you throw some perspective as to how we have won and lost in the last 3 years we aren't as far behind where we were. Saturday will either be a bloodbath or the most epic upset ever. We have so many people hurt I'm afraid my 4th grade nephew may have to play special teams in the first college football game he has ever watched.

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
If you throw some perspective as to how we have won and lost in the last 3 years we aren't as far behind where we were. Saturday will either be a bloodbath or the most epic upset ever. We have so many people hurt I'm afraid my 4th grade nephew may have to play special teams in the first college football game he has ever watched.

expect at least 2 concussions to your players when playing NDSU.

thebootfitter
October 24th, 2013, 12:48 AM
The rate of concussions are probably at least marginally correlated with the level of physical play. NDSU is a hard hitting team. From what I've seen, they play pretty clean, but anytime you play hard, physical football, there's some risk of injury, concussions included.

Twentysix
October 24th, 2013, 01:04 AM
The rate of concussions are probably at least marginally correlated with the level of physical play. NDSU is a hard hitting team. From what I've seen, they play pretty clean, but anytime you play hard, physical football, there's some risk of injury, concussions included.

When ones mascot is a pussy, it certainly doesn't help. ;) He is mad that we deflated UNIs season.

Houndawg
October 24th, 2013, 01:46 AM

clenz must still have one. He hasn't played since the NDSU game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2013, 06:22 AM

Or be in better condition for the 4th quarter. But I suppose USD got lucky too....xcoffeex

Oh ya, GO JACKS!!!

NDSUstudent
October 24th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Or be in better condition for the 4th quarter. But I suppose USD got lucky too....xcoffeex

Oh ya, GO JACKS!!!

WTF???

Bisonator
October 24th, 2013, 08:07 AM

xbawlingx You want a tissue? xbabycryx

Sycamore62
October 24th, 2013, 09:04 AM

We also expect 2 pick 6s per game playing them

NoDak 4 Ever
October 24th, 2013, 09:10 AM
We also expect 2 pick 6s per game playing them

Actually I think CB will feel sorry enough for you that they will try to run out the clock on the first play.

dewey
October 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
For those of you that do not follow the Bison Media blog Jeff Kolpack and Dom Izzo they do a great job of covering NDSU and the FCS. Here is their take on Shakir Bell being released.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the Sahkir Bell situation.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/416114/group/Sports/

Go Bison!

Dewey

Twentysix
October 24th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Oh ya, GO JACKS!!!

WTF???

Most of us cheer for SDSU when we aren't playing each other.

Yotes
October 24th, 2013, 11:26 AM
It makes sense from the viewpoint that the better your rival is the better you are, maybe he is just bittered by the UNI fans though. I know I could never root for SDSU.

Twentysix
October 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
It makes sense from the viewpoint that the better your rival is the better you are, maybe he is just bittered by the UNI fans though. I know I could never root for SDSU.

It's not really a rivalry... it's high stakes athletic competition.

I want NDSU and SDSU both to become AAU members, I want UND to burn to the ground. ;)

MplsBison
October 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM

I want NDSU and SDSU both to become AAU members, I want UND to burn to the ground. ;)

We each only need to boost research expenditures from Federal grants by a couple hundred million. Let's do it!

PantherRob82
October 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM

When ones mascot is a pussy, it certainly doesn't help. ;) He is mad that we deflated UNIs season.

Oh ya, GO JACKS!!!

xbawlingx You want a tissue? xbabycryx

Funny responses. I think you guys are the sensitive ones. He was giving honest commentary. Jay has never been a sensitive poster on this or any other message board. xcoffeex

Yotes
October 24th, 2013, 04:57 PM

AAU huh? Bold talk for two schools who aren't even the best in the state ;)

Twentysix
October 24th, 2013, 04:59 PM
AAU huh? Bold talk for two schools who aren't even the best in the state ;)

xlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 24th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Funny responses. I think you guys are the sensitive ones. He was giving honest commentary. Jay has never been a sensitive poster on this or any other message board. xcoffeex

Really...."honest commentary".....really?

Let's see I do not remember anyone from Kansas State, Ferris State, Delaware State, SDSU or SIU getting a concussion. Players get injured and the Bison have had their fair share already this year too. All teams get injuries.

Point #2: Is there any UNI fan that would give "honest commentary" about the Bison?" NO

NDSUstudent
October 25th, 2013, 08:08 AM

LOL what? Wow...

NDSUstudent
October 25th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Then you haven't been to a game lately lol.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Then you haven't been to a game lately lol.

I've been to all 8 football games in the last 7 years. And many other sports vs SDSU.

Other than the game itself loads of people wish SDSU the best. NDSU and SDSU were rivals like 5 days last year (3x MBB, 2x FB). UND and NDSU are rivals 365 days.

I'm sorry that you can't see that. Our institutions are brothers, not enemies.

NDSUstudent
October 25th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I've been to all 8 football games in the last 7 years. And many other sports vs SDSU.

Other than the game itself loads of people wish SDSU the best.

I'm sorry that you can't see that. Our institutions are brothers, not enemies.

You must sit with the milk drinkers then. Brookings can burn. However, I don't even remotely hate UND since we don't even play them anymore.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 08:32 AM
You must sit with the milk drinkers then. Brookings can burn. However, I don't even remotely hate UND since we don't even play them anymore.

A real rivalry goes way beyond sports... I guess that explains your view point pretty clearly.

NDSUstudent
October 25th, 2013, 08:35 AM
A real rivalry goes way beyond sports... I guess that explains your view point pretty clearly.

Sorry but when you are clearly better than an institution as a whole why is it a rivalry? The glory days for UND are long gone. Don't understand why you think they are such a threat or rivalry. To me the are the equivalent of Valley City State.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Sorry but when you are clearly better than an institution as a whole why is it a rivalry? The glory days for UND are long gone. Don't understand why you think they are such a threat or rivalry. To me the are the equivalent of Valley City State.

Because I am interested in the University beyond football. Which makes SDSU's success a boon for NDSU, and UND's business outside of football relevant.

thebootfitter
October 25th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Why are we discussing an NDSU - UND/SDSU rivalry on a thread about Shakir Bell?

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Believe it or not, it can be rooted into a UNI fans comment, lol.

344Johnson
October 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Hope Mr. Bell finds himself a home in the NFL. Fun little guy to watch.

Sycamore62
October 25th, 2013, 01:21 PM

The local Terre Haute paper questioned how this would affect the intense rivalry in the Dakotas

NoDak 4 Ever
October 25th, 2013, 01:37 PM
The local Terre Haute paper questioned how this would affect the intense rivalry in the Dakotas

well the story is pretty played out and is there anything to the game this weekend? We've had some serious thread drift on these games. MoState was pretty bad too.

Sycamore62
October 25th, 2013, 01:55 PM
well the story is pretty played out and is there anything to the game this weekend? We've had some serious thread drift on these games. MoState was pretty bad too.

I think the outcome will depend on if our starting QB will be available. I'm not saying win or loose I'm saying how competitive we will be. I suspect he will not be playing. I think not having him hurts worse.

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I think the outcome will depend on if our starting QB will be available. I'm not saying win or loose I'm saying how competitive we will be. I suspect he will not be playing. I think not having him hurts worse.

Haha, Freudian slip? ISU will likely be really loose after all that ramming.

thebootfitter
October 25th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Haha, Freudian slip? ISU will likely be really loose after all that ramming.
Ahh, geez... did you have to go there? Now I've got a visual in my head that I'd rather not. :-p

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Ahh, geez... did you have to go there? Now I've got a visual in my head that I'd rather not. :-p

It was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.
:D

Sycamore62
October 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Not sure what kind of stuff you guys are into

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Not sure what kind of stuff you guys are into

Haha you are the one talking about how loose ISU is. ;)