PDA

View Full Version : Mainejeff (or any Maine fans): Scouting Report on the Black Bears?

jmufan999
October 22nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
I've seem most CAA teams play this year (don't think I've seen URI and W&M, I believe) but I only saw about a half of the Maine-Richmond game. I don't remember much about it.

Can I get an honest assessment of your team? Strengths/Weaknesses? At which positions are you really deep/thin?

UMaineD
October 22nd, 2013, 02:54 PM
I would say they are playing on all cylinders, off, def and special teams all clicking.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
As painful as it was, I watched the entire Maine/Delaware game. Maine is just flat out scary this year. They're disciplined, have good size, proficient with both the run and the pass, have an excellent defense, and very good ball awareness all around. From what I understand from postings from Maine fans this is a very senior-heavy team, so they're less likely to make dumb mistakes and get caught unawares.

I fully believe that Maine is the class of the CAA this year.

jmufan999
October 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
I fully believe that Maine is the class of the CAA this year.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was afraid of. Unless Nova beats them this Saturday (possible), I think they'll steamroll to the CAA title and a top 3 seed. @ UNH is always very tricky, though.

*1 FBS win
*1 FBS loss by only 14 @ #18 Northwestern

That along with the tough conference schedule should lock up #2/3, depending on what happens with some of the other undefeated teams.

dunbar
October 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
Shh... let us go under the radar. xthumbsupx

Simply put, Maine wins games because they don't make many mistakes. The reason why they lost to Northwestern was two bad picks. The reason the Richmond game was close was because of two picks in the endzone. Everything that cost the Black Bears games in years past just hasn't happened. They've always had the talent, but they aren't nearly as efficient or disciplined as they are this year. The most important thing is that UM has been very humble and motivated, a "let's do our jobs well today, and even better tomorrow" mentality. Very encouraging to watch.

The way to beat Maine? Force them into mistakes and capitalize on those mistakes. This is the exact way the Bears have defeated their opponents.

IBleedYellow
October 22nd, 2013, 10:02 PM
Sounds just like another top team in this country.

That'd be a great game to watch!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 22nd, 2013, 10:54 PM
Maine might have the type of team that can give NDSU trouble. The Black Bears do the little things very well.

A Fordham-Maine semifinal would be sweet...

I hope Lehigh doesn't have to deal with Maine. I'd rather try "my" luck with Towson or Villanova.

Orono would be a cool place to see a game....

ccd494
October 23rd, 2013, 11:34 AM
I would also argue that winning out in the regular season is more important for Maine than any other team in the nation. Maine has historically not had any success bidding for playoff games, and therefore needs to get a high seed to have home games.

Grizalltheway
October 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
I would also argue that winning out in the regular season is more important for Maine than any other team in the nation. Maine has historically not had any success bidding for playoff games, and therefore needs to get a high seed to have home games.

Depending on how things shake out, I'd love to see the Black Bears visit Missoula again. It was a pretty good game in 2004, IIRC.

mainejeff
October 23rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
I think that Maine needs to beat Villanova this weekend........then we can talk about playoffs and seeds.

ccd494
October 23rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
I think that Maine needs to beat Villanova this weekend........then we can talk about playoffs and seeds.

That is true. This is the program that parlayed a win at Mississippi State into missing the playoffs that season. I half expect this team to finish 6-6.