PDA

View Full Version : Montana vs NDSU in 2014 might be an ESPN showcase game

FargoBison
October 21st, 2013, 05:51 PM
Just heard on local radio that Jeremy Jorgenson NDSU's Director of Sales and Broadcasting is working with ESPN and NCAA to move the NDSU home game with Montana next year to August 23rd. I guess this idea came up when College Gameday was in Fargo, ESPN said they wanted to showcase the FCS in an early game and Jorgenson told them that the game with Montana would be an ideal opportunity to do so.

He said it is a 50/50 chance it will happen. But ESPN seems really excited about it and is pushing the NCAA to make it happen.

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2013, 05:57 PM
Wow, that will be freaking awesome if it happens. Would definitely do my best to make it out there.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 21st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Just heard on local radio that Jeremy Jorgenson NDSU's Director of Sales and Broadcasting is working with ESPN and NCAA to move the NDSU home game with Montana next year to August 23rd. I guess this idea came up when College Gameday was in Fargo, ESPN said they wanted to showcase the FCS in an early game and Jorgenson told them that the game with Montana would be an ideal opportunity to do so.

He said it is a 50/50 chance it will happen. But ESPN seems really excited about it and is pushing the NCAA to make it happen.

Since he's talking with ESPN, I wonder if he can get them to do the ESPN3 in HD instead of the 1990's dial up mess we get now.

Professor Chaos
October 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM
Gotta eat some crow about my ESPN bashing, they really seem genuinely interested in showcasing more than just the usual FBS suspects over the last 12 months.

Now if they could only devote the first Saturday in December on ESPNU to the 8 FCS playoff games that day, a la CBS when they used to televise March Madness on one channel, they could really impress me.

BisonFan02
October 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Sweet. I would be curious to see how the OOC schedule shakes up with Montana bumping the Iowa St game as the season opener. Extra bye weeks or additional home OOC games?

dudeitsaid
October 21st, 2013, 06:59 PM
That would be an awesome showcase!!!

IBleedYellow
October 21st, 2013, 08:37 PM
My Dad called to tell me this...

Wow.

marenlee
October 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM
They better get started on the Fargodome expansion :D

Bison56
October 21st, 2013, 09:37 PM
Wonder if Gameday will return?

Yotes
October 21st, 2013, 09:55 PM
They better get started on the Fargodome expansion :D
I've never seen a game in the Fargodome, is there any feasible way to add seats without knocking a wall down?

Twentysix
October 21st, 2013, 10:00 PM
I've never seen a game in the Fargodome, is there any feasible way to add seats without knocking a wall down?

The only feasible way to add seats is to build a new stadium.

taper
October 21st, 2013, 10:06 PM
I just posted this on Bisonville, think we'll get a different set of answers here.

Gameday probably wouldn't want to hit the same FCS town 2 years running. If ESPN says they'll put the game on ESPN and bring Gameday if we do Montana's end of the home and home first, can we justify saying no?

Vitojr130
October 21st, 2013, 10:15 PM
Wonder if Gameday will return?

I wouldn't doubt it. I've heard that Gameday is what sparked this discussion from ESPN. I think they were pleasantly surprised...

FargoBison
October 21st, 2013, 10:15 PM
I just posted this on Bisonville, think we'll get a different set of answers here.

Gameday probably wouldn't want to hit the same FCS town 2 years running. If ESPN says they'll put the game on ESPN and bring Gameday if we do Montana's end of the home and home first, can we justify saying no?

Gameday goes to the same places all the time. Sometimes multiple times to the same place in one season.

ESPN loved the atmosphere for Gameday in Fargo.

Bisonoline
October 21st, 2013, 10:17 PM

They already said they want to come back to Fargo. So whats the point?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2013, 10:44 PM
I've neiver seen a game in the Fargodome, is there any feasible way to add seats without knocking a wall down?

I don't believe so.

How about "bowling" it instead of the 4 different sections? That might add 6-7k seats.....

buffalobill
October 21st, 2013, 10:57 PM
If NDSU and Montana U don't meet in the playoffs this year next year's game will be, if my info is correct, the 7th game between the two all time. The Griz won the first three and The Bison won the last three. That would set the stage for a great rubber match. I believe the last time the Griz beat the Bison was in 1941. The attack on Pearl Harbor hadn't even taken place yet. Additionally we only had 36 schollies the last time we beat them in 2003. Not many games but a great rivalry nonetheless! The Bison versus the Griz two animals that dominated the Plains and the Mountains. NDSU and Montana U two football programs that were resurrected in the 1960's stumbled a few times over the next 50 years, but both have developed very significant football traditions. Apparently NDSU is working with ESPN to possibly showcase the game to played in Fargo next fall. Should be some great potential story lines!xthumbsupx

Southern Bison
October 21st, 2013, 11:04 PM

I don't believe so.

How about "bowling" it instead of the 4 different sections? That might add 6-7k seats.....

The large columns off the corners of the endzones are a key structural support for the roof. The costs to retrofit for at best 2500 seats would be astronomical. NDSU will have to look at a new stadium all together and hopefully, Fargo will join in this time as well.

Interesting side note: "The Georgia World Congress Center Authority and Atlanta Falcons worked toward an agreement for a new retractable roof stadium to be built on the Georgia World Congress Center campus. Scheduled to open for the 2017 NFL season." The GeorgiaDome was opened for the 1992 Falcons season. The Fargodome was opened only a few months later.

http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2013, 11:38 PM

Yes, you can in my opinion and even though they have been a little more FCS friendly I wouldn't care one bit if they never did a gameday in Missoula and wouldn't be part of the crowd if they did. Not specifically because I have anything against em' but I just don't care about it too much I guess.

Well, wait a minute. I'd go by it if it were on the way to one of the couple tailgates I go to I guess.xthumbsupx

Hope it works out so people can see it one way or the other though. If not ESPN then it would be a great game for any of the other national peoples to pick up for sure.

mvemjsunpx
October 22nd, 2013, 06:15 AM

Random side note (or maybe not so random): Jorgenson is a former Missoula sports anchor.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Random side note (or maybe not so random): Jorgenson is a former Missoula sports anchor.

I knew I recognized that name for some reason.

Hammersmith
October 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM

As the others have said, adding relatively few seats is prohibitively expensive. Everyone asks about the corners, but those seats would be the definition of obstructed view and it would also create problems on the concourse. The four corners are already choke points; adding seats would make it worse. At field level, there are three columns in each corner that run up to the roof. One thick column and two slender. They are connected by a web of angled steel. Combined, they would be a significant obstruction to just about every seat in the corners. Oh, and the video boards hang off these columns as well. And they don't just hold up the roof, they tie the whole building together. There is a plan to create a skybox lounge that would hold a couple hundred people, but that plan is becoming more unlikely by the day. It is part of a larger plan to add a convention center onto the dome, but there's another group of interests that want the convention center downtown. It's looking more and more like the downtown group is going to win the fight.

There is a way to expand the dome, but the cost would be in the same ballpark as an all-new facility. Since the Fargodome is basically a truncated rectangle, you could build a new roof structure outside the existing footprint with the new columns in the truncated corners(outside of the current wall). Then you build a new wall around the building which includes a concourse for a new second level. With an all-new roof structure, the existing columns could be removed, the current outer wall could be removed to allow for more concourse traffic, and the lower deck could be bowled in. I'm pretty sure I got the idea from a stadium rebuild somewhere in the Midwest, but I forget which city it was in. In any case, this would be a massive project with a low nine-figure cost. Not something you do just to add a couple thousand seats. Maybe 20 years down the road when the Fargodome is approaching 50 years of age and the FM metro approaches 250k.

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2013, 05:13 PM
Hammer, IIRC from my time at NDSU, the ability to raise the roof is prohibited due to the flight pattern of the SE/NW angled runway at Hector Int'l. If NDSU (and/or Fargo) are going to build a larger, multi-level stadium, they will need to find a new location on or near campus.

IMO, I think NDSU should pick up the blocks bordered by 10th & University Dr. along with 15th & 17th Avenues. It's mostly run-down rental houses and would keep the field near the BSA/SHAC. The school can then redevelop the Fargodome location.

Hammersmith
October 22nd, 2013, 05:59 PM
Hammer, IIRC from my time at NDSU, the ability to raise the roof is prohibited due to the flight pattern of the SE/NW angled runway at Hector Int'l. If NDSU (and/or Fargo) are going to build a larger, multi-level stadium, they will need to find a new location on or near campus.

IMO, I think NDSU should pick up the blocks bordered by 10th & University Dr. along with 15th & 17th Avenues. It's mostly run-down rental houses and would keep the field near the BSA/SHAC. The school can then redevelop the Fargodome location.
I'd take any comments about height restrictions with a big grain of salt. There have been so many urban legends about flight restrictions around Fargo that I tend not to believe any of them anymore. This isn't a slam on you; I've been guilty of saying similar things. I just got tired of being wrong all the time. Besides, only light aircraft use that runway now. All passenger, cargo and private jet traffic use one of the N/S or E/W runways. Also besides, it seems that the FAA only gets involved with buildings over 200ft. The FD currently sits at 125ft. I don't think adding a second deck would push the building past 200ft since I envision the project would lower the pitch of the existing deck.

Now if you're an architect/engineer and have direct knowledge of the rules about height restrictions, then I'll happily be proven wrong. It's just that so much of this stuff comes from barstool engineering(which I'm guilty of in my previous post).

Oh, and NDSU is indeed buying out many of those houses you mention. They're mainly sticking to the ones right on University, however. The NDSU Development Foundation is doing the buying, and then they use a property management company to handle the renting. As existing homeowners sell out, The foundation tries to get the property before anyone else. In some cases, they have agreements with the owners to get first rights. The following link is 5 years out of date, but it gives you an idea of what they're going for. Check out the diagram at the top of page 15.

www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/vpfa/docs/NDSUCampusMasterPlan.pdf (http://www.ndsu.edu/fileadmin/vpfa/docs/NDSUCampusMasterPlan.pdf)

taper
October 22nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
There's an engineering company just south of Fargo's airport that sometimes tests JLG boom lifts. I know for a fact that when they're run to full height the airport is notified and a temporary height hazard is broadcast over the radio. Don't know the exact height where this is a requirement, but it's not as high as you might think.

Southern Bison
October 22nd, 2013, 06:45 PM
No worries Hammer, I'm a Construction Mgmt. grad from 2000 so it's been quite a while but that "story" about height restrictions always stuck in my head. Thanks for the informative read...I hadn't seen that file yet.

It appears that they are focusing on keeping student activity right along Albrecht, but there is no plan for the athletic part of NDSU outside of the SHAC renovation (2007, I know). It will be interesting to see what the next revision of the Master Plan holds in regards to the future of the FargoDome and location of Bison football.

Twentysix
October 22nd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Commercial airlines fly over the train yard/dakota drive not NDSU. the flight path is 5000+ feet directly west from the current Fargodome.

Just go stand in one of the fields to the west of NDSU in the soil science areas for a few hours, you will see the planes fly directly over your head.

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/4512/z9xw.png

Bisonator
October 22nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
I say we build a 30,000 seat outdoor stadium and keep the FD for inclement weather conditions. Best of both worlds IMO. You can build an outdoor stadium for a fraction of the cost of an enclosed one. The FD is ideal size for concerts and trade shows, I don't see Fargo anteing up for another building anytime soon.

Back to the thread topic, this would be a great showcase game for FCS. They can do both games, next year in Fargo and in Missoula in 2015!

Griz23
October 23rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
They shouldn't say no in good conscience. Washington-Grizzly stadium is one of the greatest venues in FCS football and Gameday would get a reception second to none. NDSU and Fargo may deserve another shot but why not spread the wealth? Missoula is a great little town and the people of Montana are as hospitable as they come. The Montana football program has been and will continue to be one of the cornerstones of FCS and are as deserving as any football program in our division. The game would be a clash of titans and every Bison and Grizzlie fan would want to be there. I would sell my next born for a ticket.

walliver
October 23rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
Maybe NDSU should have Delta Airlines address the seating in the FargoDome. Delta would find a way to squeeze 50K in the building.:D

gotts
October 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
I took Airport Design before graduating and let me tell you, FAR Part 77 is a treat.

Have fun with this diagram:

http://airspaceusa.com/images/Air00023.gif

I'm not so much into dealing with airports, I'm definitely a highway guy now.

Here's some light reading material if you want: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.2.9&idno=14

I can direct you to the information, but I can't really go as far to interpret it for you. I'm sure I have an old assignment laying around somewhere where we did airspace analysis of Hector. I'll let you know if I find it.

EDIT: here's another link with the runway information:http://www.city-data.com/airports/Hector-International-Airport-Fargo-North-Dakota.html basically, you apply FAR Part 77 to each runway and that makes up your composite restricted space, I think. I'm sure there are people with a much better understanding of it out there than I have.

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
They shouldn't say no in good conscience. Washington-Grizzly stadium is one of the greatest venues in FCS football and Gameday would get a reception second to none. NDSU and Fargo may deserve another shot but why not spread the wealth? Missoula is a great little town and the people of Montana are as hospitable as they come. The Montana football program has been and will continue to be one of the cornerstones of FCS and are as deserving as any football program in our division. The game would be a clash of titans and every Bison and Grizzlie fan would want to be there. I would sell my next born for a ticket.

The buyout would need to be renegotiated to like 50 million dollars.

Grizalltheway
October 23rd, 2013, 10:17 AM
The buyout would need to be renegotiated to like 50 million dollars.

We aren't MSU.xrolleyesx

Twentysix
October 23rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
We aren't MSU.xrolleyesx

Makes no difference.

jub1982
October 23rd, 2013, 10:51 AM
Some people are funny. ESPN wants to move the date, not the location. It would be the only game that weekend, so likely, no Gameday. Why would NDSU agree to move the location? I don't blame Griz fans for wanting it in Missoula, but be a little realistic. No team would agree to move the location. Maybe if it works, they'll do it again when NDSU returns to Montana.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM
Makes no difference.

He's right but it does bring up a big point. I think Sam Houston was the last team to fulfill an agreement with NDSU with no buyout. Does that sound right?

gotts
October 23rd, 2013, 10:55 AM
Some people are funny. ESPN wants to move the date, not the location. It would be the only game that weekend, so likely, no Gameday. Why would NDSU agree to move the location? I don't blame Griz fans for wanting it in Missoula, but be a little realistic. No team would agree to move the location. Maybe if it works, they'll do it again when NDSU returns to Montana.

The rumblings I heard highlighted multiple games being moved for the weekend, with the NDSU/Montana game the "crown jewel" to be televised, if you will.

Bisonator
October 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
The rumblings I heard highlighted multiple games being moved for the weekend, with the NDSU/Montana game the "crown jewel" to be televised, if you will.

That's what I heard too. There is speculation about the SHSU/EWU and a game out east being moved to the same date. 3 FCS matchups on the same day at different times to showcase the division.

TigerFen
October 23rd, 2013, 12:57 PM
If you have three FCS Games a week early, I would be surprised on this front. That would shorten the preparation time for those six teams. It would be an awesome day of football though because you have to either pay wall to see alot of FCS football or just listen online. Would all the games be non-conference matchups or some of them in conference matchups?

Bisonoline
October 23rd, 2013, 02:55 PM
Comment From Gully
I heard they’re trying to move the Montana game up to August to get a national TV date. What are the chances of that (getting a waiver from the NCAA)?

This question stems from a story that actually broke over the summer from the Sports Network, which you can read here (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4600979). This “FCS Football Challenge” (which is a redundant name) is an interesting idea and I believe something that has legs. I spoke with three different commissioners over the summer about this idea and all of them seemed onboard, they all believe any exposure will certainly help the division’s profile. NDSU finds itself right in the crosshairs of this idea clearly being the two-time defending champions. Remember, NDSU has a non-conference game scheduled with Montana on September 6th next season and that type of game clearly fits the bill. I spoke with athletic director Gene Taylor last night about this, he said “had informal talks with ESPN, the NCAA would have to grant a waiver for us to play that early, haven’t spoke with anyone at Montana about it.” There are a lot of things that have to happen before this can become a reality. First, the NCAA has to sign off with an earlier start to the season, they have done it in the past as Craig Haley points out, so since NDSU has August 30th scheduled with Iowa State next year, let’s say August 23rd would be the game date. Second, ESPN would have to find in my opinion at least two other national matchups they would find appealing; now Sam Houston-Eastern Washington are scheduled to play each other next year in Cheney, that fits the bill perfectly, so let’s add them, but ESPN NEEDS an East Coast game as well; say Delaware-Eastern Illinois, something like that. You get 3 top notch FCS games and now you’re cooking, ESPN just can’t go with one game, they need a few to make this a real deal to blow up some schedules. Lastly, NDSU needs Montana to sign off, if it is indeed Montana that they would move that date for. I think we all understand the importance of TV and exposure even more so after College Gameday blew thru town, but imagine if NDSU gets to play on a weekend where there are NO other games going on, it’s similar to the Georgia Southern semifinal game last year on a Friday, NDSU went up against just college hoops that night, this would be against baseball and preseason NFL. It’s a great idea by ESPN and I hope we see it come to fruition, the possibilities are eye-opening when you think about it.
- See more at: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?archive=2010-04#sthash.9dTNJRHR.dpuf

JayJ79
October 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
If you have three FCS Games a week early, I would be surprised on this front. That would shorten the preparation time for those six teams. It would be an awesome day of football though because you have to either pay wall to see alot of FCS football or just listen online. Would all the games be non-conference matchups or some of them in conference matchups?

if the teams involved were granted a waiver to play their first game a week early, perhaps they'd also be able to start their fall camps/practices a week earlier than normal as well. (I don't know if that is the case or not, just speculating).

The first few weeks of the season are usually non-conference matchups (with rare exceptions), so I highly doubt a conference game would be brought into this event.

Bisonoline
October 23rd, 2013, 03:19 PM
if the teams involved were granted a waiver to play their first game a week early, perhaps they'd also be able to start their fall camps/practices a week earlier than normal as well. (I don't know if that is the case or not, just speculating).

The first few weeks of the season are usually non-conference matchups (with rare exceptions), so I highly doubt a conference game would be brought into this event.

Thats the only way it will work.

taper
October 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM
We aren't MSU.xrolleyesx

I doubt Montana would buy us out even if they wanted, just for this reason.