PDA

View Full Version : Does NAU get credit for a "Good Win" over South Dakota now?

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 09:32 AM
Back in September, when NAU beat South Dakota, it was dismissed as an expected win over a poor team. In light of South Dakota's season today, is this now a "Good Win"?

Cocky
October 21st, 2013, 09:55 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdDd2amhTd05oRTZIc2EyNS1QUmFfW Hc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Appears not at this point but it could be updated.

RabidRabbit
October 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM
Back in September, when NAU beat South Dakota, it was dismissed as an expected win over a poor team. In light of South Dakota's season today, is this now a "Good Win"?

Supe reaffirmed how this assigned prior to this weeks result. Yotes aren't yet to a top 1/3 team, therefore, not yet a "good win", however, if not mistaken, they are no longer in the bottom 1/3, so not a bad loss.

The App St. wins are no longer "good wins".

superman7515
October 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Sorry, it hasn't been updated yet because not all of the info I use was released yet. As of this point, I know AppState has fallen into the bottom 1/3 and I believe it was St. Francis that had moved up. Not really because St. Francis was doing better, mostly because AppState is falling like a rock. AppState had been the last team out, just missing the bottom 1/3. With only a couple of lines of info left to enter in, they had fallen below five other teams.

ysubigred
October 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM

Nah!! Lumberjacks still suck xblehx

J.k. Any win is a good win LOL!! xbowx

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2013, 10:39 AM
Ultimately that will have to pass the litmus test which consists of the rest of the seasons valley play for USD but it's lookin like it may well be a quality win which pleasantly shocks me to say that.

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2013, 11:10 AM
Nah!! Lumberjacks still suck.
This.

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 11:49 AM
This.

Scoreboard.

Two-game winning streak over the Fizz
Four-game winning streak over current and former Fizz coaches :)

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2013, 12:11 PM
Scoreboard.

Two-game winning streak over the Fizz
Four-game winning streak over current and former Fizz coaches :)

0 playoff appearances since GATW was a high school freshman, and you'll be looking up at us in the polls for the remainder of this year. xnodx

bjtheflamesfan
October 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM
Not yet a "good win" but certainly in light of their results, is trending that direction.

Yotes
October 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
It's looking like a better win each week, but if we had been rolling with our current QB back then you guys would have had a harder time taking that one. Caught us at a good time.

Yote 53
October 21st, 2013, 12:46 PM
If USD would have made the quarterback switch earlier in the season and gone with Kevin Earl then that NAU game would have had a completely different result. The way it was USD kept that game close without gettting any offensive output whatsoever. NAU shut down the run game by committing 8-9 into the box defensively because VanderMaten simply cannot pass the football. Now that Earl is at the helm the USD offense is clicking and moving the ball. Combine a passable offense with USD's formidable defense and now we have something cooking. Point is, if the game were played today I think USD wins over NAU. Bottom line though, when the game was played NAU won. I hope by the end of the season the Lumberjacks can count it amongst their more quality wins of the season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2013, 12:50 PM
NAU can't get credit for their win over Montana....xsmiley_wix

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 12:53 PM
NAU can't get credit for their win over Montana....xsmiley_wix

LOL - sadly true

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2013, 01:17 PM
LOL - sadly true

You're 5-2 and almost in the top 15 in the TSN poll. Where do you think you should be ranked?

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
You're 5-2 and almost in the top 15 in the TSN poll. Where do you think you should be ranked?

Above Montana :)

srgrizizen
October 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
Above Montana :)

But since you obviously believe Montana sucks, was it really a quality win??xlolx

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM
But since you obviously believe Montana sucks, was it really a quality win??xlolx

Where did I say that?
Montana obviously has a great team.

superman7515
October 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Just a little more info left to add, but I have training tonight, however, barring some sort of apocalypse in the ratings, South Dakota will be in the "Good Win" column. As of this second (and again, I still have info left to input) Cal Poly, Yale, and Brown will fall out of the Good Win section and be replaced by South Dakota, Sacramento State, and Illinois State. Dayton and Lafayette will rise out of the Bad Loss section and be replaced by Appalachian State and Drake. Again, not complete, but that's how it is shaping up.

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
Just a little more info left to add, but I have training tonight, however, barring some sort of apocalypse in the ratings, South Dakota will be in the "Good Win" column. As of this second (and again, I still have info left to input) Cal Poly, Yale, and Brown will fall out of the Good Win section and be replaced by South Dakota, Sacramento State, and Illinois State. Dayton and Lafayette will rise out of the Bad Loss section and be replaced by Appalachian State and Drake. Again, not complete, but that's how it is shaping up.

Which gives NAU three "good wins" xthumbsupx

Fear the Bird
October 21st, 2013, 05:46 PM
When did USD make the switch at QB? Based in the seasons results and the clamor ing for this kid, I would have to think just this week in oractice b/c their other wins have been far less than impressive

Yotes
October 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM
When did USD make the switch at QB? Based in the seasons results and the clamor ing for this kid, I would have to think just this week in oractice b/c their other wins have been far less than impressive
The UNI win was Kevin Earl's third start. It's not that he is instantly one of the league's best QBs, but that the massive upgrade at QB has far reaching effects making the running game more potent as well as actually keeping the defense off the field for a second. It's the difference between the 1-11 team we were last year and the 4-3 team on a winning streak we are this year. He threw a pick in the endzone against Missouri State, and two picks in the end zone against Indiana State, and hasn't looked like an outstanding QB aside from this last game.

Atrocious special teams play is to blame for our wins not being impressive. On our third long snapper, and we've thrown away at least 5 punts this year that all instantly turned into touchdowns. In our last 3 games we have had 4 botched punt snaps go for TDs, making our wins far less impressive than they could have been. Minus turnovers our D has allowed 3 TDs in the last 3 games. Also have a kicker who is 6/13 on the year...running back had a 67 yard punt this week though!

Fear the Bird
October 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM
The UNI win was Kevin Earl's third start. It's not that he is instantly one of the league's best QBs, but that the massive upgrade at QB has far reaching effects making the running game more potent as well as actually keeping the defense off the field for a second. It's the difference between the 1-11 team we were last year and the 4-3 team on a winning streak we are this year. He threw a pick in the endzone against Missouri State, and two picks in the end zone against Indiana State, and hasn't looked like an outstanding QB aside from this last game.

Atrocious special teams play is to blame for our wins not being impressive. On our third long snapper, and we've thrown away at least 5 punts this year that all instantly turned into touchdowns. In our last 3 games we have had 4 botched punt snaps go for TDs, making our wins far less impressive than they could have been. Minus turnovers our D has allowed 3 TDs in the last 3 games. Also have a kicker who is 6/13 on the year...running back had a 67 yard punt this week though!

Thanks for the info always like to get more of the story than the box score...good luck the rest if the year running that gauntlet

Screamin_Eagle174
October 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM
0 playoff appearances since GATW was a high school freshman, and you'll be looking up at us in the polls for the remainder of this year. xnodx
NAU might jump the Griz after EWU gives them a beating in their own house this weekend. xnodx

SD4ever
October 21st, 2013, 08:15 PM
If Kevin Earl starts the season for the Yotes NAU probably does not win the game. The LumberJacks were real lucky that USD did not recover the 'on side' kick after the Yotes made it 22 to 16 with about 3 to go. The Good Guys had at least 2 TO's left and were running over NAU. I was there and the Jack (not another one) fans around me were very uncomfortable. The sigh of relief was quite interesting once the Flagstaff recovery was made.

I must say that Northern Arizona is my 2nd favorite FCS team. I hope they beat the snot out of North Dakota when the 'whatevers' show up there this season. When is that game? I have been in The Walkup Skydome (it's kind of dangerous like The Danger Dome) to see a couple of games a few years back. One was Montana and I had to sit among a bunch of rather obnoxious Grizzed fans. What made it worse is that the Jacks kind of got blown out so they were especially nasty. A year or so later I watched you take down Weber State, at least I think so.

So anyway you can count me in your camp. The Infamous, The One and Only SD4ever.

Go South Dakota!

Grizalltheway
October 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM
NAU might jump the Griz after EWU gives them a beating in their own house this weekend. xnodx

Might they

ursus arctos horribilis
October 21st, 2013, 08:32 PM

Let me know how much you want to put on it in a pm and we'll get this interest level up even a bit more.

superman7515
October 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Finally done...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgtKAORz8z6vdDd2amhTd05oRTZIc2EyNS1QUmFfW Hc&usp=sharing

Added some information this go-around. If you click on the Good Wins/Bad Losses/Non-Counter tabs you will still see every team that meets that qualification in alphabetical order in the first column. In the second column are the next 5 teams that could rise or fall into that, but they are now listed in ranked order instead of alphabetical order.

The next five on the Good Win sheet are listed highest to lowest (because the highest would have the most potential to rise up), the next five on the Bad Loss sheet are listed lowest to highest (because the lowest would have the most potential to drop down), and on the Non-Counter sheet is any team that is close enough to be a potential non-counter in short order. In this case, there is only one team listed, but this FBS team was tenths of a point from falling out of Good Win counter status.

Also added are two new columns telling you who is new to the list this week and who has been dropped from the sheet (i.e. those who fell down from a Good Win rating or rose up from a Bad Loss rating).

MplsBison
October 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM

Sure, if you're a computer.

dbackjon
October 22nd, 2013, 12:50 PM
thanks superman!

How close is Stony Brook to the edge of no longer a good win?

Screamin_Eagle174
October 22nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Let me know how much you want to put on it in a pm and we'll get this interest level up even a bit more.

If I had any cash to wager I would, but I'm more broke than Alpha after a night at a gay bar.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
If I had any cash to wager I would, but I'm more broke than Grizo after a night at a gay bar.

Gotcha. I didn't understand it at first but now I get what you are saying.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Gotcha. I didn't understand it at first but now I get what you are saying.

do ya

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2013, 02:17 PM
do ya

sort of

Screamin_Eagle174
October 22nd, 2013, 02:21 PM
sort of
xthumbsupx

dbackjon
October 22nd, 2013, 02:33 PM
Ursus/Screamin Eagle - you guys have same bet as last year - winner gets top bunk Saturday Night?

ursus arctos horribilis
October 22nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
Ursus/Screamin Eagle - you guys have same bet as last year - winner gets top bunk Saturday Night?

Yeah, check out all this room we got now...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/66605/step-brothers-bunk-beds-o.gif

superman7515
October 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM
thanks superman!

How close is Stony Brook to the edge of no longer a good win?

Stony Brook is pretty safe at the moment. They're not top 25, but they have some breathing room. I guess I could give a "bottom 5" so to speak...

The five teams closest to falling out of Good Win status (in alpha order):
Illinois State
Sacramento State
South Dakota
Southern Utah
Wofford