PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
My bracket if the season ended today. As usual finding bus trips in round 1 and potential bus trips in round 2 is sadly a point of emphasis....

NAU at McNeese St vs 1.NDSU
Wofford at CCU vs 8.Montana State
UNI at Montana vs 5.EWU
Bethune-Cookman at Delaware vs 4.Maine

Nova at Lehigh vs 3.Fordham
Duquesne at YSU vs 6.Towson
Samford at SELA vs 7.SHSU
Butler at Tenn State vs 2.EIU

Bubble: SC State, Chatty, JMU, Murray State, South Dakota, Jacksonville St, UNH

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Stick a fork in UNI, they are done. I'm super intrigued by USD though. They seem like they are no longer content with just being in the league.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Here is Sports Network's Take...

UNI at Montana State vs 1. NDSU
Samford at Bethune-Cookman vs 8. CCU
NAU at YSU vs 5. SHSU
Butler at Montana va 4. McNeese St

Nova at Lehigh vs 3. Towson
Duquesne at Maine vs 6. Fordham
Wofford at SCSU vs 7. EWU
Chatty at Tenn State vs 2. EIU

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

BisonFan02
October 20th, 2013, 01:31 PM

NAU at YSU vs 5. SHSU

Yay REGIONALIZATION! xblehx

TigerFen
October 20th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I am really surprised that anybody is picking UNI to make the playoffs at 0-3 in conference. They must have an easy schedule for people to think they get in. They still have Youngstown State and they're a probably 12-15 team in the polls tomorrow.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I am really surprised that anybody is picking UNI to make the playoffs at 0-3 in conference. They must have an easy schedule for people to think they get in. They still have Youngstown State and they're a probably 12-15 team in the polls tomorrow.

I have them at 18. SDSU dropped out completely, their only way to the playoffs is winning out.

TigerFen
October 20th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I have them at 18. SDSU dropped out completely, their only way to the playoffs is winning out.

I forgotten that they had an FBS win on they're resume. It's still a tough road to hoe with five games let and only two home games to get to seven D-I wins with Youngstown State. They don't pass the smell test for playoffs quite yet.

ValleyTalk
October 20th, 2013, 02:19 PM
My bracket if the season ended today. As usual finding bus trips in round 1 and potential bus trips in round 2 is sadly a point of emphasis....

UNI at Montana vs 5.EWU

Duquesne already lost to YSU in the regular season so I don't think they can meet up round 1.

blackbeard
October 20th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Duquesne already lost to YSU in the regular season so I don't think they can meet up round 1.

Duquesne won't be there anyway

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 02:25 PM

The only rule is teams from the same conference cannot play in round 1, nothing is said about non-conference opponents playing again. This could be avoided I guess though by swapping Lehigh and Duquesne but the bus trips are much shorter the way I had it originally. Geographic proximity is very important.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 02:26 PM

UNI at Montana vs 5.EWU

Why seed 5-2 SHSU but not 6-1 McNeese? McNeese has an FBS win and a head to head victory over SHSU, McNeese is also undefeated in SLC play, where as SHSU is not.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Why seed 5-2 SHSU but not 6-1 McNeese? McNeese has an FBS win and a head to head victory over SHSU, McNeese is also undefeated in SLC play, where as SHSU is not.

The seeds are the top 8 of my AGS poll.

SHSU has the best win of either team. Plus UNI beat the tar out of McNeese. Basically I want to see more from McNeese before vaulting them into seed territory...their game with Southeast LA will be large.

msupokes1
October 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM
The seeds are the top 8 of my AGS poll.

SHSU has the best win of either team. Plus UNI beat the tar out of McNeese. Basically I want to see more from McNeese before vaulting them into seed territory...their game with Southeast LA will be large.

They have the best win? McNeese beat them. 5-2 vs 6-1. If we aren't that good because we lost to UNI than obviously they have the worst loss because they lost to McNeese.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 20th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I forgotten that they had an FBS win on they're resume. It's still a tough road to hoe with five games let and only two home games to get to seven D-I wins with Youngstown State. They don't pass the smell test for playoffs quite yet.

The question remains is will they win again the rest of the season? I get that they're beat up but that doesn't get them a handicap.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM
They have the best win? McNeese beat them. 5-2 vs 6-1. If we aren't that good because we lost to UNI than obviously they have the worst loss because they lost to McNeese.

It is hard for me to ignore an absolute buttkicking when I look at who should be seeded and who should not be. I want to see more from McNeese before elevating them into the top 8.

I fully believe that SHSU is a top 8 team. One game is not going to be enough to change it. Yes their win over EWU was huge.

McNeese75
October 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM
It is hard for me to ignore an absolute buttkicking when I look at who should be seeded and who should not be. I want to see more from McNeese before elevating them into the top 8.

I fully believe that SHSU is a top 8 team. One game is not going to be enough to change it. Yes their win over EWU was huge.

Very interesting thought process. I really think maybe UNI should be rated above NDSU because if you would not have broken their MLB's leg they would have stuffed your final drive and won the game. Same issue with their other losses, if only the injuries had not happened. And why was the SHSU win over EWU any bigger than the McNeese win over SHSU last night? Whatever, its your opinion and of course you are entitled to it. (just like my little scenario is mine)

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
The question remains is will they win again the rest of the season? I get that they're beat up but that doesn't get them a handicap.

The who matters, the why does not.

UNIFanSince1983
October 20th, 2013, 05:21 PM
This is not the same UNI team playing right now that beat Iowa State and McNeese. Winning out and we will be in. Whether or not they can get back in it mentally after two tough overtime losses will be key. I don't think we can, but I do think we have the talent to do it.

McNeese deserves a lot of credit. They now have a throttling of an FBS team plus wins over UCA and SHSU, and yes I know UCA is not looking that good right now.

McTailGator
October 20th, 2013, 05:25 PM

McNeese will win out and be about a 6 seed so we wont meet NDSU unless we go deep in the bracket.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I have McNeese at #10 in my poll...it isn't like I think they are terrible. I just want to see a bit more. The SHSU win was a nice first step in that direction....a win over SELA would be another and if you win out it won't mean much at all.

UNI was the last team in my bracket but what kept them in was quality wins. Resumes get pretty thin with a 24 team field.

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2013, 06:03 PM
This is an end of the season projection. I will add projected records for all playoff teams and the last couple teams out.

1. North Dakota State 11-0

Montana State 9-3
Southeastern Louisiana 8-4

Cal Poly 8-4
Duquesne NEC auto
8. Sam Houston State 10-2

4. Towson 11-1

Youngstown State 9-3
South Carolina State 10-2

Tennessee State 10-2
Southern Illinois 8-4
5. Coastal Carolina 11-1

3. Fordham 12-0

Lehigh 10-1
Villanova 9-3

Bethune-Cookman 10-2
Samford 9-3
6. Maine 10-2

7. McNeese State 11-1

Montana 9-3
Dayton PFL auto

Northern Iowa 8-4
Eastern Washington 8-4
2. Eastern Illinois 11-1

First teams out: William & Mary 8-4, Jacksonville State 9-3, Chattanooga 8-4, Liberty 8-4

GoCats23
October 20th, 2013, 06:10 PM
This is an end of the season projection. I will add projected records for all playoff teams and the last couple teams out.

1. North Dakota State 11-0

Montana State 9-3
Southeastern Louisiana 8-4

Cal Poly 8-4
Duquesne NEC auto
8. Sam Houston State 10-2

4. Towson 11-1

Youngstown State 9-3
South Carolina State 10-2

Tennessee State 10-2
Southern Illinois 8-4
5. Coastal Carolina 12-0

3. Fordham 12-0

Lehigh 10-1
Villanova 9-3

Bethune-Cookman 10-2
Samford 9-3
6. Maine 10-2

7. McNeese State 11-1

Montana 9-3
Dayton PFL auto

Northern Iowa 8-4
Eastern Washington 8-4
2. Eastern Illinois 11-1

First teams out: William & Mary 8-4, Jacksonville State 9-3, Chattanooga 8-4, Liberty 8-4

You have us losing 1 more, you losing two, and EWU losing two more as well. Who do you see those loses coming to? I see the only loses between the three schools being between each other. So 3 loses total.

ccd494
October 20th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I fully endorse any bracket that has southern teams coming to Orono in December.

mainejeff
October 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM

NAU at YSU vs 5. SHSU

So if Maine goes undefeated in the CAA and goes 11-1........they will be unseeded and Towson will be a 3 seed??? Huh.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2013, 07:13 PM
If this were to happen I think AGS would implode due to the epic nuclear meltdown that would occur and the ensuing hilarity.

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2013, 07:18 PM
You have us losing 1 more, you losing two, and EWU losing two more as well. Who do you see those loses coming to? I see the only loses between the three schools being between each other. So 3 loses total.

It's a very home team biased projection for the Big Sky. EWU's two are on the road at Montana and Cal Poly. The Bobcats losing at EWU, and Montana losing two of their remaining 3 road games. The top six of the Sky are very balanced, which makes this projection very possible.

Mr. C
October 20th, 2013, 07:30 PM

NAU at YSU vs 5. SHSU

Why bother? Clueless to the process.

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 07:35 PM
College Sports Madness offers their bracketology prediction....

Butler at Tenn State vs 1. NDSU
SCSU at Fordham vs 8. Wofford
SIU at Montana State vs 5. Towson
New Hampshire at Samford vs 4. CCU

Nova at Youngstown vs 3. EWU
Maine at Montana vs 6. McNeese St
NAU at UNI vs 7. SHSU
Sacred Heart at Lehigh vs 2. EIU

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

FargoBison
October 20th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Why bother? Clueless to the process.

Agreed, their bracket is almost always garbage.

Professor Chaos
October 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Here's where I think things stand if the playoffs started next Saturday. Autobids in ALL CAPS.

Winner of Northern Arizona @ Sam Houston St
at
(1) NORTH DAKOTA ST (I'm convinced with the way the seedings are looking now that NDSU is going to get a very tough SLC or Big Sky team in the second round)

Winner of Wofford @ Montana
at
(8) MCNEESE ST

Winner of DUQUESNE at Villanova
at
(4) Fordham

Winner of SE Louisiana @ SAMFORD
at
(5) MAINE

Winner of Tennessee St @ Chattanooga
at
(2) EASTERN ILLINOIS

Winner of LEHIGH @ James Madison
at
(7) Montana St

Winner of BUTLER @ Youngstown St
at
(3) EASTERN WASHINGTON

Winner of BETHUNE-COOKMAN @ COASTAL CAROLINA
at
(6) Towson

Bids by conference: Big Sky/CAA - 4, CAA/SOCON/Southland - 3, MVFC/Patriot/OVC - 2, MEAC/Big South/NEC/Pioneer - 1

Last 4 in: Tennessee St, James Madison, SE Louisiana, Chattanooga
First 4 out: Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, South Carolina St, Charleston Southern

TigerFen
October 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
So if Maine goes undefeated in the CAA and goes 11-1........they will be unseeded and Towson will be a 3 seed??? Huh.

I think it may happen due to the 400 mile rule. I doubt it does. I think Towson is more likely to be unseeded than Maine if you win out. What is more likely to happen is that the committee may make you a Six seed while giving Towson a Three seed. That is crazy too many AGS folks, but I can see it happen. I think Towson or Maine lose one more game (more likely Maine against Villanova) to resolve the question.

rokamortis
October 20th, 2013, 08:15 PM
5. Coastal Carolina 12-0

If Coastal goes 12-0 then we may be a 1 seed as we would have beaten University of South Carolina :)

MTfan4life
October 20th, 2013, 08:20 PM
If Coastal goes 12-0 then we may be a 1 seed as we would have beaten University of South Carolina :)

Nice catch...should be correct now.

melloware13
October 20th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Based off how I have it, with a few adjustments to avoid glaring problems, right now:

SAMFORD @ Tennessee State
@ 1. NORTH DAKOTA STATE

BUTLER @ Youngstown State
@ 8. Montana

James Madison @ BETHUNE-COOKMAN
@ 4. COASTAL CAROLINA

SE Louisiana @ Montana State
@ 5. MCNEESE STATE

LEHIGH @ Villanova
@ 2. EASTERN ILLINOIS

Northern Arizona @ Sam Houston State
@ 7. EASTERN WASHINGTON

Wofford @ Northern Iowa
@ 3. Towson

SACRED HEART @ MAINE
@ 6. Fordham

Last 4 in: SELA, NAU, Wofford, JMU
First 4 out: Charleston Southern, Chattanooga, SCSU, W&M

TigerFen
October 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM

You would probably be no higher than a two seed (IMHO). I think NDSU may have played they're toughest game of the year (except YSU) until the playoffs. If NDSU would be undefeated, then they would be the Number 1 for good reason.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Butler @ Tennessee St.
#1 NDSU

Sacred Heart @ Lehigh
#8 Towson

SELA @ JMU
#4 Fordham

SC State@ YSU
#5 Maine

Samford @ SHSU
#3 EIU

Bethune-Cookman @ Montana
#6 McNeese St.

SIU @ Montana State
#2 EWU

Wofford @ Villanova
#7 Coastal Carolina

rokamortis
October 20th, 2013, 09:46 PM
You would probably be no higher than a two seed (IMHO). I think NDSU may have played they're toughest game of the year (except YSU) until the playoffs. If NDSU would be undefeated, then they would be the Number 1 for good reason.

I was kidding - that's why i included the smiley.

GoCats23
October 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Butler @ Tennessee St.
#1 NDSU

Sacred Heart @ Lehigh
#8 Towson

SELA @ JMU
#4 Fordham

SC State@ YSU
#5 Maine

Samford @ SHSU
#3 EIU

Bethune-Cookman @ Montana
#6 McNeese St.

SIU @ Montana State
#2 EWU

Wofford @ Villanova
#7 Coastal Carolina

Would they put a potential BSC vs BSC matchup in the second round? Don't they try to not do that, while also taking geographical location into consideration?

PantherRob82
October 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM
UNI should not be in anyone's bracket

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Would they put a potential BSC vs BSC matchup in the second round? Don't they try to not do that, while also taking geographical location into consideration?

Nope, SDSU @ NDSU second round ticket is on my wall right beside me.

R.A.
October 20th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Remember, a 10-2 SC State, would gain the MEAC's Automatic Bid, which would make a 10-2 Bethune Cookman, a potential At- large Bid.

MTfan4life
October 21st, 2013, 12:33 AM

Although that's unlikely, I actually think aligning the potential second round matchup of Montana and Eastern Washington is a strong potential considering the short distance and the fact that Roos City Hall takes in about 3,000 more than capacity when Montana comes to town.