PDA

View Full Version : AGS Poll Open For Week 8

AGSPoll
October 19th, 2013, 10:01 PM
The AGS Poll is now open and accepting ballots for this week's Top 25. Remember to vote early and check your PM's in case there are any duplicates or anything we need to contact you about. If you accidentally vote for the same team twice, leave a line blank, or don't rank all the way to 25, we can't count your vote. Let's make sure they all get counted!

Poll is open until noon Eastern on Monday as per usual so get the votes in.

I want to repeat this...

CHECK YOUR EMAILS AFTER YOU VOTE. Look at the ballot you submitted and also to see if there is a reply to your ballot asking you for a clarification.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 19th, 2013, 10:04 PM
So before voting this week.

Who is still worthy and who should be taking a serious step back?

Please don't post any of your actual rankings but a discussion about relative strengths of teams etc. is fine and encouraged.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2013, 10:18 PM
- Fordham is going undefeated
- CCU will only lose to South Carolina to end the year.
- NAU, Montana and Wofford, ehh...
- Maine is NASTY
- UNH circled the wagons
- Princeton is legit
- Tennessee State should be climbing...

gotts
October 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM
The only spots I feel comfortable filling out are #1 & #2.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Head-2-head is also pretty much out the window imo..

LehighU11
October 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM
The only spots I feel comfortable filling out are #1 & #2.

Yeah, I get to #10 and I'm grimacing. Villanova? Montana State? McNeese? All are suspect and seem so far beneath what I feel to be a clear-cut top 9.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I get to #10 and I'm grimacing. Villanova? Montana State? McNeese? All are suspect and seem so far beneath what I feel to be a clear-cut top 9.

I've gotten to #11 and hit a wall....

penguinpower
October 20th, 2013, 06:50 AM
NDSU is rolling as expected.
South Dakota is winning a lot of games with their new QB
UNI has lost 3 straight
South Dakota State has now lost at least 3 conference games after being in the top 10.
SIU played NDSU tight until their QB was knocked out of the game.
Missouri State is quietly winning games.

caribbeanhen
October 20th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I've gotten to #11 and hit a wall....

think SE Louisiana at 5-2 should be in the top 25

Cocky
October 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM
One easy vote this week, the most significant loss goes to Grambling.

superman7515
October 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I think I would have to concur.

LehighU11
October 20th, 2013, 10:40 AM
think SE Louisiana at 5-2 should be in the top 25

Definitely. I had overlooked them earlier, but put them in at 20 this week. Solid road win at Samford, who may be the best in the SoCon, and their 2 losses both respectable on the road to TCU and SDSU. Convincing wins the past few weeks prove they deserve to be ranked, since it is a down year for the SoCon, there are plenty of questionable teams in the Big Sky, and the MVFC is up for grabs after NDSU.

The Southland seems like it may have been overrated as a whole, but the top three (SHSU, McNeese, and SELA) are looking pretty strong.

RabidRabbit
October 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM
The injury bug seems to have decimated UCA, UNI

SE LA definitely needs a look as does SCSU.

Are more than two teams going to survive the MVFC meat grinder? NDSU looks set, and possibly YSU. YSU still has UNI, SDSU and NDSU to play. UNI, SDSU, and SIU basically are toast if they don't win out, although UNI's early success (ISU, McNeese) may keep them in. BIG Elimination game in Brookings next Saturday.

Who's going to be the Ivy leader this season?

Looks like Fordham and Lehigh will make it to play-offs from Patriot.

Southern Bison
October 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
At this point, IMO, is starting to become easier to rank the top 25 as the cream is rising to the top in each conference. Some of the unexpected teams that should be in the top 25 are:

TN State
Samford
SELA
McNeese
Charleston So.
Harvard

Some of the schools that have flopped this season yet have the "tradition" are SDSU, Central Arkansas, Wagner, Stony Brook, etc.

Of course with App, GaSo, & ODU out of FCS, that's introducing new teams to the top 25 that may have not been there before.

Tribal
October 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
SELA made my top 25 for the first time this season.
UNH is the most confusing team in the CAA...make up you're mind, Cats.
JMU isn't in my top 25 but my Tribe isn't, either. Week 9 winner may climb back in though I think I need to see two good wins for W&M to do that.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
I had SELA and SCSU ranked for the first time.

I still can't rank CSU with 2 D2 wins, same with Sacred Heart...

LehighU11
October 20th, 2013, 10:56 AM
The injury bug seems to have decimated UCA, UNI

SE LA definitely needs a look as does SCSU.

Are more than two teams going to survive the MVFC meat grinder? NDSU looks set, and possibly YSU. YSU still has UNI, SDSU and NDSU to play. UNI, SDSU, and SIU basically are toast if they don't win out, although UNI's early success (ISU, McNeese) may keep them in. BIG Elimination game in Brookings next Saturday.

Who's going to be the Ivy leader this season?

Looks like Fordham and Lehigh will make it to play-offs from Patriot.

I think Princeton is going to win out in the Ivy League and finish 9-1, their lone loss being that season-opener collapse against Lehigh. They have so many offensive weapons and a solid defense. The Tigers scored 39 unanswered points in the last 32 minutes of their game at Brown yesterday. Next weekend's game at Harvard could determine the Ivy champ.

Yale started strong, but looks to be more like a 4th place team this year. They do get both Brown and Harvard at home, so Eli could be a dark horse.

LehighU11
October 20th, 2013, 11:04 AM
At this point, IMO, is starting to become easier to rank the top 25 as the cream is rising to the top in each conference. Some of the unexpected teams that should be in the top 25 are:

TN State
Samford
SELA
McNeese
Charleston So.
Harvard

Some of the schools that have flopped this season yet have the "tradition" are SDSU, Central Arkansas, Wagner, Stony Brook, etc.

Of course with App, GaSo, & ODU out of FCS, that's introducing new teams to the top 25 that may have not been there before.

I have the exact same six in and the rest out. I also think Princeton should be ranked. Their second half display yesterday on the road was impressive against a decent Brown team. The Tigers are 4-1 and are outscoring opponents 212-101. 9-1 looks like a real possibility if they can win at Harvard this week. Their solid defense and dynamic offense nearly beat Lehigh in their season opener. I have Princeton and Harvard in my last 3 ranked.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I have the exact same six in and the rest out. I ailso think Princeton should be ranked. Their second half display yesterday on the road was impressive against a decent Brown team. The Tigers are 4-1 and are outscoring opponents 212-101. 9-1 looks like a real possibility if they can win at Harvard this week. Their solid defense and dynamic offense nearly beat Lehigh in their season opener. I have Princeton and Harvard in my last 3 ranked.

I had Princeton ranked but couldn't pull the trigger on Harvard. Those two settle things next week.

I still like SIU for reason. They're 4-3 in my mind and tough as nails. Likewise with W&M...

Houndawg
October 20th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I had Princeton ranked but couldn't pull the trigger on Harvard. Those two settle things next week.

I still like SIU for reason. They're 4-3 in my mind and tough as nails. Likewise with W&M...

SIU's starting QB injured his hand yesterday. Have a bye this week.

BisonBacker
October 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I had as hard a time trying to put this poll together as any I've ever done. Who saw McNeese doing that to SHSU or USD beating UNI? Hard poll to work out in my mind and justify ranking a team but then look at their SOS and say I can see why they have that record. Some real head scratchers.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 20th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Great input and discussion guys, thanks for getting the thoughts out there.

FWIW I also think Grambling is the biggest loss this week even though it has nothing to do with the top 25 ranking I think it's gonna be interesting to see if and how much this could affect a couple of teams in the bubble discussion at the end of the year.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I had as hard a time trying to put this poll together as any I've ever done. Who saw McNeese doing that to SHSU or USD beating UNI? Hard poll to work out in my mind and justify ranking a team but then look at their SOS and say I can see why they have that record. Some real head scratchers.

i would also throw in UNH beating Nova, as a head scratcher that throws a monkey wrench into filling out the poll, but I said Friday that was the ultimate trap game. At this point once you get past 15 in the poll it is a crap shoot. Thank god for the playoffs.

dystopiamembrane
October 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Should be out the window from the first vote, in my opinion.

Engineer86
October 20th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Gotta disagree, IMO normally what happens on the field should outweigh a computer, but at this point there are too many A>B>C>A>....

SU DOG
October 20th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I had SLU ranked #16 last week and have them #12 this week. Granted, that may seem a bit high, but until I see differently, I am sold on the Lions.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I had SLU ranked #16 last week and have them #12 this week. Granted, that may seem a bit high, but until I see differently, I am sold on the Lions.

They seem as good as any SLC team.

dystopiamembrane
October 20th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Gotta disagree, IMO normally what happens on the field should outweigh a computer, but at this point there are too many A>B>C>A>....
Has there ever been a season in which one was able to use head-to-head to rank teams? (Well, ignore the late 19th century.) It quickly becomes arbitrary.

2012: Indiana State>North Dakota State
2011: Youngstown State>North Dakota State
Is Utah better than Stanford this year?

BlueHenSinfonian
October 20th, 2013, 12:28 PM
UNH had a big win over 'Nova, but they're still only 3-3 on the season, does that deserve a ranking?

SIU lost to NDSU, which is understandable, and they had a big win last week, but they're 4-4, again, does an even record at this point earn a top 25 spot no matter how good some of the wins are?

UNI is in a freefall right now, but they still have great wins vs. McNeese and Iowa State, and they played NDSU closer than anyone else has this year. At 4-3 on a 3 week losing streak where do they fit in? The past two weeks games have been decided in overtime, so, it's not like they're getting blown out, but a good team has to find a way to win those games.

dystopiamembrane
October 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM
UNH had a big win over 'Nova, but they're still only 3-3 on the season, does that deserve a ranking?

SIU lost to NDSU, which is understandable, and they had a big win last week, but they're 4-4, again, does an even record at this point earn a top 25 spot no matter how good some of the wins are?

UNI is in a freefall right now, but they still have great wins vs. McNeese and Iowa State, and they played NDSU closer than anyone else has this year. At 4-3 on a 3 week losing streak where do they fit in? The past two weeks games have been decided in overtime, so, it's not like they're getting blown out, but a good team has to find a way to win those games.

I would say "yes" to all three.

IBleedYellow
October 20th, 2013, 02:23 PM
UNI has a three game losing streak. Two of them at home. They are banged up bad. Out for me.

Moto X

Engineer86
October 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM

The UNH loses are to an FBS, a top 10 team, and a ranked team. The Nova win is a good one and the URI and Colgate wins got a little better yesterday, not great wins, but got better with the showing of both teams. Lehigh also played a complete game until the coach pulled the plug midway through the third, so that loss gets better too.

Great? No, worthy of a vote? When you get to the last Five, it gets pretty tough to find alternatives.

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Voted for USD, deal with it :p.

Tribal
October 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I did a pretty good job with my ballot...only left three slots blank. xbangx Really inexcusable but that's what happens when your team loses and kid can't find his soccer cleats.

dystopiamembrane
October 21st, 2013, 09:53 AM
I did a pretty good job with my ballot...only left three slots blank. xbangx Really inexcusable but that's what happens when your team loses and kid can't find his soccer cleats.
Did you resubmit?

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM

Why a blanket statement?

If you have one team that is struggling, but rose up for a big win, yeah, head-to-head doesn't mean much. But if you have two good teams that are both doing well, then yes, head-to-head should come into play - ie why we play the game. To totally ignore head-to-head is irresponsible

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 10:24 AM

So why do we play? Just recruit teams and let experts decide it.

NAU whooped Montana. NAU only has losses to a decent FBS team and Montana State (both on the road).

At this point, there is NO RATIONALE for ranking Montana above NAU, but most voters are doing it.

If NAU had lost a couple more games, you could justify it. At this point, no rational voter should be able to. If you are ranking Montana ahead of NAU, you are doing it SOLELY based on reputation, and are no better than the SID's that don't watch games but vote.

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 10:25 AM
Has there ever been a season in which one was able to use head-to-head to rank teams? (Well, ignore the late 19th century.) It quickly becomes arbitrary.

2012: Indiana State>North Dakota State
2011: Youngstown State>North Dakota State
Is Utah better than Stanford this year?

Yes, as I have already stated. NAU at this point is better than Montana, based on head-to-head, and both teams lack of bad losses.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
Why a blanket statement?

If you have one team that is struggling, but rose up for a big win, yeah, head-to-head doesn't mean much. But if you have two good teams that are both doing well, then yes, head-to-head should come into play - ie why we play the game. To totally ignore head-to-head is irresponsible

I don't think "pretty much out the window" is a blanket statement. The door is still being left open for certain situations.

BisonBacker
October 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Voted for USD, deal with it :p. So did I.

dystopiamembrane
October 23rd, 2013, 05:30 AM
Yes, as I have already stated. NAU at this point is better than Montana, based on head-to-head, and both teams lack of bad losses.
Take a look here - College Football Comparison (http://masseyratings.com/ranks.php?s=cf2013&sub=fcs).
Numerous ranking systems place UM over NAU.

caribbeanhen
October 23rd, 2013, 07:56 AM

soccer cleats. Yuck. Be careful because in 50 yEars soccer will be competing with college football in a big way on Saturdays

dbackjon
October 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Take a look here - College Football Comparison (http://masseyratings.com/ranks.php?s=cf2013&sub=fcs).

And that is a perfect example of how FLAWED computer ranking are. STUPID.

citdog
October 23rd, 2013, 04:28 PM
soccer cleats. Yuck. Be careful because in 50 yEars soccer will be competing with college football in a big way on Saturdays

people have been saying that for the last 40 years. soccer is for 8 year olds and communists.

http://cdn1.tauntr.com/sites/default/files/oranges.jpg

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
people have been saying that for the last 40 years. soccer is for 8 year olds and communists.

http://cdn1.tauntr.com/sites/default/files/oranges.jpg

it's more about rapidly changing demographics..... been to Wal Mart lately?

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM

What an atrocious link. It has UNI as #3?!?!

I can't believe someone would willingly put their name on something that bad.

And why is Towson #1?

Lol it says Point share NDSU #8, click on pointshare poll, NDSU #1.

It says CSL NDSU #14, click on the poll itself NDSU #2.

dystopiamembrane
October 26th, 2013, 12:03 AM
What an atrocious link. It has UNI as #3?!?!

I can't believe someone would willingly put their name on something that bad.

And why is Towson #1?

Lol it says Point share NDSU #8, click on pointshare poll, NDSU #1.

It says CSL NDSU #14, click on the poll itself NDSU #2.
you're right. something wrong with that link.
here's a non-beta version.
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm