PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week Eight.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 19th, 2013, 09:31 PM
I was 3-2 last week. Appalachian State is on fire in a bad way while VMI is even worse. Here's where I have it after this week (number in parenthesis indicates magic number for playoff eligibility).

1) Wofford (2 of 4) - Survived an inspired WCU effort to win.
2) Samford (2 of 5) - Had the week off.
3) Chattanooga (2 of 5) - Mocs rolled against Elon.
4) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - Resting up for their game against ASU.
5) Furman (4 of 5) - Had a good win against ASU
6) The Citadel (5 of 5) - Resting up for next week.
7) Appalachian State (ineligible) - McKayla Maroney is really not impressed with them.
8) Elon (eliminated) - Flamed out against Chattanooga.
9) Western Carolina (eliminated) - Had nothing to be ashamed of against Wofford.
Mercer (4 of 5)* - closes out nonconference play with a win
VMI (eliminated) - finds another way to lose again
ETSU (coming soon) - men's soccer is 4-1 in A-Sun play after defeating Jacksonville

* presuming they would be eligible

Predictions
Samford @ Wofford (Game of the week) - Bulldogs win to get inside track at their first SoCon title.
The Citadel @ Chattanooga - Mocs ends the Bulldogs' playoff chances.
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State - Eagles continue the suffering of the Mountaineers.
Elon @ Western Carolina (Upset of the week) - Catamounts score their first SoCon win.
Furman @ LSU - Tigers mauls Paladins.
Mercer @ Campbell - Bears continue to roll against the Clydes.
VMI @ Coastal Carolina (Beatdown of the week) - Chanticleers pick apart the Keydets.
ETSU - is it 2015 yet?

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2013, 09:40 PM
1) Samford
2a) Chattanooga
2b) Wofford
4) Furman
5) The Citadel
6a) Elon
6b) Western Carolina
*) GSU
**)ASU

Samford over Wofford
Chattanooga over The Citadel
WCU over Elon

GSU over ASU

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2013, 09:41 PM
1. Samford - still undefeated, still #1
2. Georgia Southern - hopefully with the off week we are ready for App
3. Wofford - Makes another comeback against weak SoCon team
4. UTC - Takes care of biz against Elon
5. El Cid -
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. App
9. Western

Chat 33-28
GSU 31-20 hopefully
Elon 28-17
LSU - 54-10

Upset Special
Wofford 17-14 over Samford.

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2013, 10:15 PM
My gut says that Samford is going to beat Wofford like a, well, you know.

Wofford's a good club, but they cannot afford to mail it in for a half like they have the past two weeks and expect to beat Samford.

ASU_Fanatic
October 19th, 2013, 10:24 PM
1) Samford
2) Southern
3) Chattanooga
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Citadel
7) Elon
8) App
9) Western

GSU 23 App 12
Samford 31 Wofford 16
WCU 28 Elon 27
Chatt 26 Citadel 13

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Samford
Wofford
GSU
Chattanooga
Furman
Citadel
Elon
App State
Western Carolina

The only game that I can predict in good confidence is the GSU game and that's because App is just not good this year.

With that said, the Socon is pretty competitive this year. The Citadel has lost 5 games this year, but the average margin of defeat is less than 6 points (and if you take out the Wofford loss the average is like 4 points). All but one of Furman's games have come down to one possession. Elon in the last 3 weeks hasn't been playing terrible but their coaches do all they can to lose.

As for Wofford and Samford, yeah I'm concerned a little bit. Our offense is really good when it gets clicking as it's definitely improved in comparison to last year. We've never been more deep at running back. With that in mind, we still are very inconsistent at QB, and that is what has killed us in the last few weeks. We practically didn't play offense in the first quarter or most of the first half against Elon and this week against Western we had trouble with turnovers.

Defensively, the secondary is becoming a concern, but I think we're getting healthier after the last couple weeks. We play much better in the second half than in the first.

If wofford plays its best game offensively, with minimal mistakes, we can hang with anybody and beat anybody. Defensively, if we give our guys enough time to rest, no short fields, no turnovers, they can play at a high level. So what all this means is that the overall performance of the team is determined by how many mistakes we make offensively.

I think we can get it together and win next week, we play Samford a lot better at home and if the last couple weeks have not been a wakeup call I don't know what will. Samford having the bye to prepare for us has to work in their favor though.

SU DOG
October 20th, 2013, 12:09 AM
1. Samford - still undefeated, still #1
2. Georgia Southern - hopefully with the off week we are ready for App
3. Wofford - Makes another comeback against weak SoCon team
4. UTC - Takes care of biz against Elon
5. El Cid -
6. Furman
7. Elon
8. App
9. Western

Chat 33-28
GSU 31-20 hopefully
Elon 28-17
LSU - 54-10

Upset Special
Wofford 17-14 over Samford.

Wofford is a good team, and has an outstanding defense, but I can't see them limiting Samford's offense to 14 points.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Wofford is a good team, and has an outstanding defense, but I can't see them limiting Samford's offense to 14 points.

If we "win" the first half, I could see us doing that. Samford is a team that likes to pass a lot but it's not their exclusive identity like Elon. That's what's going to help Wofford. In terms of scoring defense, Wofford has faired pretty well (outside of Baylor).

Citadel: 3 points (pick 6 was their only TD)
GSU: 20 points (held them scoreless in the second half until the game was no longer in doubt)
Gardner Webb: 3 points (in the mud bowl)
PC: 14 points (7 after a turnover while starting inside Wofford's 10, and in garbage time)
Elon: 27 points (yeah, this was a bad outing for us, they had a short field on one or two drives, they left a few points on the field and drove a lot but got stopped a few times by passing the ball well, we held them to 3 points in the second half)
Western: 17 points (same thing as Elon, shut them out in the second half in spite of our coaches messing up the prevent defense)

The good news is that we've given up 19 points in the second half to FCS competition in 6 games. The bad news is that we've kind of fouled up in the first half. But, on the plus side I think a lot of our struggles can be accounted to injuries.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Also, I like Wofford's chances at home so much better than at Samford. We play them so much better at home.

CID1990
October 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Samford by 14.

phoenix3
October 20th, 2013, 01:00 PM
1) Samford
2) Southern
3) Chattanooga
4) Wofford
5) Furman
6) Citadel
7) Elon
8) App
9) Western

GSU 23 App 12
Samford 31 Wofford 16
WCU 28 Elon 27
Chatt 26 Citadel 13

Agree pretty much with this. I might flip Southern and Chatt.

phoenix3
October 20th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Also, I like Wofford's chances at home so much better than at Samford. We play them so much better at home.

Just my opinion of course, but having seen what Wofford did against Elon and watching yesterday's stats online, Wofford may win only 1 more game this season.

catamount man
October 20th, 2013, 01:46 PM
1) Samford
2) Wofford
3) Chatt
4) Furman
5) The Citadel
6) Elon
7) WCU

10/26 GAMES:
Wofford 14 Samford 13
WCU 21 Elon 20
Chatty 35 Citadel 13
LSU 59 Furman 3

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Just my opinion of course, but having seen what Wofford did against Elon and watching yesterday's stats online, Wofford may win only 1 more game this season.

I don't think we'll play that poorly. I could definitely see us going 2-2 for the rest of the year, but I just don't see us performing poorly enough to not make the playoffs or even be eligible. We're definitely extremely inconsistent this year and as I said an a thread yesterday, we're not a national championship caliber team (yet). We can definitely win the conference. The problem is that we haven't put together a full game (so to speak) since the early season. We've definitely slept walked through the last couple weeks but a W is a W is a W.

I think if Wofford plays their best game they win. I like our chances in these kind of games because there is no looking forward to next week, there's good reason to think we can lose, and so on, but Wofford tends to preform much better in those kind of games.

eaglewraith
October 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Just for the record, although I imagine it was posted elsewhere here.....WCU got screwed.

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 02:54 PM
the western wofford game had terrible officiating in general

eaglewraith
October 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM
the western wofford game had terrible officiating in general

Thought we were the only ones allowed to complain about officiating.

catamount man
October 20th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Just for the record, although I imagine it was posted elsewhere here.....WCU got screwed. If you're referring again to the fumble that was called down and the blatant pass interference that wasn't called, indeed my friend. Speir told the boys to keep that hurt bottled for another day. That day is in 6 days. GO CATS! DESTROY ELON!!!

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Thought we were the only ones allowed to complain about officiating.

I think both sides of that game can agree that there was terrible officiating so it's different :)

walliver
October 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM
1) Samford - the team to beat
2) GSU - better than their sandbaggers want to admit
3) UTC - still needs to win the big game
4) Wofford - 3 of the last 4 games have been poorly played, so I move us down a few notches. There are ample opportunities to move up in the next 4 weeks

5) FU - seems to be getting back on track
... the following are interchangeable ...
6) Citadel - disappointing year continues
7) Elon - farewell tour is going only slightly better than the Jonas Brother's tour
8) Western Carolina - Will likely take home the jug this year
9) App State - inexplicable. I doubt they are the worst team, but they get the last spot because so much more was expected of them.

10) Mercer - playing nobodies but winning
11) ETSU - at least they aren't losing
12) VMI - They joined the Big SOuth because they couldn't compete in the SoCon. Program has gotten worse. Losing to PC puts you at the bottom of the list.

Predictions:
Sammy at Wofford - the newer dogs should win, but I have faith Mike Ayers can summon a minor miracle : T-Dogs 27, B-Dogs 24
Citadel at Chattanooga - Mocs roll against weaker competition. The Chucktown Dogs have the talent to win, but not the will. Mocs 38-20
The SunBelt Bowl, GSU at ASU - there have been major upsets in this series, but this won't be one, Igglets 35, Yosef's 10
Elon at Western - Western is well coached, if they can remember the offense is not allowed to tackle the defense while the refs are looking, they break the streak. Cants 35, CAA 31
FU at LSU - Maybe the Furples should hold out Hannon to avoid injury. Playing the Louisiana Tiggers after an LSU loss is not a good thing. Big Cats 53, FU 13

Mercer at Campbell - Bears enjoy winning while they can 56-7
VMI at Coastal - will not be as close as FU-LSU. Beach Chickens 63, VMI 12

kdinva
October 20th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Samford 28 @ Wofford 30
The Citadel 27 @ Chattanooga 31.
Georgia Southern 35 @ Appalachian State 24.
Elon 17 @ Western Carolina 24

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I don't think we'll play that poorly. I could definitely see us going 2-2 for the rest of the year, but I just don't see us performing poorly enough to not make the playoffs or even be eligible. We're definitely extremely inconsistent this year and as I said an a thread yesterday, we're not a national championship caliber team (yet). We can definitely win the conference. The problem is that we haven't put together a full game (so to speak) since the early season. We've definitely slept walked through the last couple weeks but a W is a W is a W.

I think if Wofford plays their best game they win. I like our chances in these kind of games because there is no looking forward to next week, there's good reason to think we can lose, and so on, but Wofford tends to preform much better in those kind of games.

It's not necessarily about playing poorly. Wofford has struggled the past two weeks against the SoCon's two worst defenses. They still have to play three of the top five defenses in the conference (Samford, UTC, and Furman).

I can see them going 4-0. I can also see them going 0-4. They should be underdogs against both Samford and UTC. They will also play in Greenville against a Furman team that is extremely tough against the run, and plays the option very well. I also think that App State will man up and steal a win against someone - they are too talented to just fall apart the entire season.

kdinva
October 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Samford 28 @ Wofford 33
The Citadel 27 @ Chattanooga 31
Georgia Southern 35 @ Appalachian State 24
Elon 17 @ Western Carolina 23

Reign of Terrier
October 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM
It's not necessarily about playing poorly. Wofford has struggled the past two weeks against the SoCon's two worst defenses. They still have to play three of the top five defenses in the conference (Samford, UTC, and Furman).

I can see them going 4-0. I can also see them going 0-4. They should be underdogs against both Samford and UTC. They will also play in Greenville against a Furman team that is extremely tough against the run, and plays the option very well. I also think that App State will man up and steal a win against someone - they are too talented to just fall apart the entire season.

We struggled with turnovers against Elon and Western (2 and 3 in the first half respectively) which lead to them having a better TOP. We still racked up over 400 yards against both, I wouldn't call that "struggling," perhaps it's sputtering, but we moved the ball at will against both once we got in rhythm.

The Eagle's Cliff
October 20th, 2013, 06:42 PM
1. Samford
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. GSU
6. Citadel
7. App
8. Elon
9. Western

Ga Southern has 28 scholarship players out - 16 for the season. It's not sand bagging, we have scout players starting. Ironically, most of the injuries are from practice.

Samford is pretty good, but not really better than the last few years. I see the "competitiveness" of the conference as being an illusion because GSU and App are so down. I don't think a SoCon team makes it past the 2nd round of playoffs. Having said that, I'm enjoying watching our two's, three's and scouts get playing time and hope it will help with depth in the future.

SU DOG
October 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM
1. Samford
2. Chattanooga
3. Wofford
4. Furman
5. GSU
6. Citadel
7. App
8. Elon
9. Western

Ga Southern has 28 scholarship players out - 16 for the season. It's not sand bagging, we have scout players starting. Ironically, most of the injuries are from practice.

Samford is pretty good, but not really better than the last few years. I see the "competitiveness" of the conference as being an illusion because GSU and App are so down. I don't think a SoCon team makes it past the 2nd round of playoffs. Having said that, I'm enjoying watching our two's, three's and scouts get playing time and hope it will help with depth in the future.

I'm not saying that we have arrived, or that we are a power house or anything, BUT to say that we are not better than in the last few years - well that is just WRONG.

The Cats
October 20th, 2013, 07:24 PM
1) Samford
2) Wofford
3) Chattanooga
4) Furman
5) The Citadel
6) Western Carolina
7) Elon
Georgia Southern (ineligible)
Appalachian State (ineligible)

Predictions
Samford at Wofford
The Citadel at Chattanooga
Georgia Southern at Appalachian State
Elon at Western Carolina
Furman at LSU
Mercer at Campbell
VMI at Coastal Carolina

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM
I'm not saying that we have arrived, or that we are a power house or anything, BUT to say that we are not better than in the last few years - well that is just WRONG.

Certainly better.

The question I do wonder about is whether Samford has caught lightening in a bottle. They have several star offensive players (including a sixth year senior at QB), who will create a large hole next year.

SpeedkingATL
October 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM
This weeks ranking:

1) Samford - Probably the most consistent team in the SoCon so far and haven't been bitten by the injury bug as bad as many.
2) Wofford - Still not sure how good Wofford really is but they keep putting up wins even though they are only playing for basically one half a game.
3) UTC - Potential is there to run the table but still waiting to see how the Mocs fare against the remaining teams that have given them fits in recent years. Have they developed the "big game gene"??
4) GaSo - Still capable of beating anyone in the SoCon.
5) THE Citadel - Hard to determine what underachiever deserves the 5 spot. This week I'll go with the Citdogs.
6) Furman - A win over the fumble/bumble prone Apps earns this spot.
7) App State- No one that's left really deserves this slot but since App did win at Elon they get the nod.
8) Elon - Just keep their head above water. Have played everyone pretty close but this is football not hand grenades.
9) WCU - The Cats showed a lot of fight against Wofford and suddenly the battle of the Mountain Jug looks like it will actually be a battle after all.

The games:

Sammy @ Wofford - The Ankle-biters have won the last two games despite only playing one good half of football in each game. That won't work against the bigger Dogs. Sammy wins on the road 28-25.
The Citadel @ UTC - There is no reason to expect the Citdogs to win on the road at Chatty but I don't expect it to come easy as long as Dupree is healthy. I predict a hard fought 21-17 win for the Mocs and visiting Cadets, don't forget to bring dollar bills to tip the Honey Moc dancers. The performance is worth the small bills.
GaSo @ App State - This was circled in the preseason as the REAL SoCon Championship game but it certainly hasn't played out that way. GaSo hasn't played that great but App has been bad.........really bad at times. I keep thinking the Apps will pull it together but fumbling 8 times against Furman and having a pick six as well doesn't breed confidence. I've said for the last 4 weeks that "this is the week" App turns it around. This week I will resort to reverse psychology and predict GaSo wins 31-17 at The Rock.
Elon @ WCU - Both of these bottom feeders have shown real progress the last couple of weeks. WCU took Wofford to the wire last week at home and I predict that performance will carry over against the Fenix. WCU gets their first SoCon win in forever 28-27 against Elon.
Furman @ LSU - Furman really picked the wrong week to play at the Tiger den as these Tigers will be in a pissed off mood after losing last week and dropping in the polls. This one could get ugly early. LSU 48 Furman 10.

pike51
October 21st, 2013, 10:01 AM
The Citadel @ UTC - There is no reason to expect the Citdogs to win on the road at Chatty but I don't expect it to come easy as long as Dupree is healthy. I predict a hard fought 21-17 win for the Mocs and visiting Cadets, don't forget to bring dollar bills to tip the Honey Moc dancers. The performance is worth the small bills.

I wouldn't go that far... that ghetto trash might be worth making it hail but they don't deserve the rain! Plenty good for those of you with a sack of nickles, ballin' on a budget... but make sure you keep your distance because things that jump don't always wash off.

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2013, 10:34 AM
The LSU game really could not come at a worse time. I hate these mid-late season FBS games, as I'm sure the FBS opponents dislike them as well.

Furman was finally healthy last Saturday and got a much needed win. I really don't care if LSU beats us by 100, I just want to leave Baton Rouge without any injuries. Furman is in a position where they can rattle the SoCon cage, but needs to be healthy to make that happen.

eaglewraith
October 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
The LSU game really could not come at a worse time. I hate these mid-late season FBS games, as I'm sure the FBS opponents dislike them as well.

Furman was finally healthy last Saturday and got a much needed win. I really don't care if LSU beats us by 100, I just want to leave Baton Rouge without any injuries. Furman is in a position where they can rattle the SoCon cage, but needs to be healthy to make that happen.

LSU just got a pretty devastating loss at Ole Miss, the game is at night in Death Valley, and the Cajuns must be appeased.

Yep, good luck with that.

ElCid
October 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
1) Samford – Had the week off but still on top
2) Wofford – Almost got caught looking ahead?
3) Chattanooga – Defense is stout but is Offense good enough to win against good opponents?
4) Furman – Making some noise, LSU coming at the wrong time
5) The Citadel – Can they get some Offense going?
6) Elon – They have obviously gotten a little bit better as the season progressed
7) Western Carolina – Definitely better but I think they forgot how to win

*Georgia Southern - Already played spoiler to Chatty, anything left to do?
*Appalachian State – Will they win another game?

Samford @ Wofford – Obviously a huge game; Samford O is a bit too much for a good Wofford D - 35-20
The Citadel @ Chattanooga – Woe is me, UTC holds down Dog's already meager offensive output – 30 - 10
Georgia Southern @ Appalachian State – Not a very exciting game, more like the underachieving Bowl than the Ineligible Bowl. Both teams may be up to claim the last victory in their SOCON series, but Eagles deal more misery to App in Boone – 38-17
Elon @ Western Carolina – Western gets the win at home…..finally. I think everyone is pulling for them at this point – 34-30
Furman @ LSU – LSU is either going to be pissed about last week or dejected, I think pissed – 47-13

FCSfan
October 22nd, 2013, 03:02 PM
1. Samford...most consistent offense and haven't hit a wall thus far. must keep turnovers from derailing their scoring train
2. Wofford...most consistent defense and play their best when their nuggets are against the wall
3. UTC...clearly a top tier socon team but what do the next few weeks hold?
4. Ga Southern
5. Elon
6. Furman
7. Citadel
8. Western and App State tied here until the jug is decided

Winners:
Wofford finally plays an entire game
UTC stops the coastal dogs
Ga Southern continues App's slip
Elon nips the cats
Furman gets a physical beating, hopefully not a mental thrashing

gomocs82