PDA

View Full Version : Elon's Corey Weaver SoCon Player of the Week

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
Elon Linebacker, Weaver, was named the SoCon's Defensive player of the week.

Weaver, a sophomore linebacker from New Bern, N.C., recorded a career-high 25 tackles against Appalachian State on Saturday. The total tackles is the most by an Elon player since Chad Nkang hit the same mark last season against Chattanooga. Weaver tied Nkang and former ASU great Julius Thomas for seventh on the SoCon all-time leaders list for most tackles in a game. He entered the game with just 12 tackles this season and only had 19 total tackles in the 2005 season despite playing all 11 games as a true freshman.

Weaver accomplished this feat even though the Elon defense as a whole gave up: 569 yds total offense, 45 points, 6.4 yds per play, etc etc

Weaver had 6 solos and 19 assists while on the same team and linebacking corps as All-American Chad Nkang.

AppGuy04
October 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
I don't care who ya are, 25 tackles is impressive!

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2006, 02:12 PM
I don't care who ya are, 25 tackles is impressive!

Must have expected ASU to get like 700 yds and 60 pts and he held em to 569 and 45 pts. xlolx

On the serious side, if the kid had any help Saturday, App might have been in big trouble offensively.

SoCon48
October 3rd, 2006, 03:38 PM
If there had been another one playing to that level on defense Saturday, our Apps would have been in big trouble offensively. One has to wonder where he made the tackles. Were they close to the line of scrimmage or drag downs after gains? The roster doesn't show whether he's a MLB or OLB either.
Anyway the dude got 25 tackles of some sort. Way good enough for POW.

The Cats
October 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
Elon Linebacker, Weaver, was named the SoCon's Defensive player of the week.

Weaver accomplished this feat even though the Elon defense as a whole gave up: 569 yds total offense, 45 points, 6.4 yds per play, etc etc

Why do the App St guys always want to belittle anyone else's accomplishments??????????

You won the game, was that not enough?

psc2445
October 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Why do the App St guys always want to belittle anyone else's accomplishments??????????

you have to admit they got gashed, 25 tackles is impressive, but i am not a fan of giving the award in a losing effort, much less a rout

boonedocks
October 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
you have to admit they got gashed, 25 tackles is impressive, but i am not a fan of giving the award in a losing effort, much less a rout

Ok, however, it is an individual award. So, no real debating that was a great effort by him. (just too bad for elon they dont have 10 more of him:D :smiley_wi )

ASU Kep
October 3rd, 2006, 06:13 PM

I'm actually going to stick up for I-AA 2006 here. I don't think he was really being too mean towards Elon, just stating facts. I was thinkin' the same thing myself. CONGRATS ON 25 TACKLES!

ASU Kep
October 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
25 tackles is more then some guys get in half a season. Seriously, very impressive. Banks got 16 a few games back and I thought that number was border-line insane. That Elon defense is much, much improved even if it wasn't apparent by the final score last Saturday.

HiHiYikas
October 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
To say "not only did he put up good defensive numbers, he did so against a strong team that had a good day on offense" isn't belittling at all.

If anything, it makes his accomplishment more impressive.

You bat .320 against Mark Buehrle, it's not that impressive - you bat .320 against Johan Santana, you're playing pretty good ball.

Appdad
October 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Ok, however, it is an individual award. So, no real debating that was a great effort by him. (just too bad for elon they dont have 10 more of him:D :smiley_wi )

6 solo tackles the remainder piling on. Who did the stats? Elon? App?

Maybe Socon throwing a dog a bone.

The Cats
October 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
To say "not only did he put up good defensive numbers, he did so against a strong team that had a good day on offense" isn't belittling at all.

If anything, it makes his accomplishment more impressive.

You bat .320 against Mark Buehrle, it's not that impressive - you bat .320 against Johan Santana, you're playing pretty good ball.

You are correct, AND had the quote been phrase this way, I'd have only agreed.

The Cats
October 3rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
6 solo tackles the remainder piling on. Who did the stats? Elon? App?

Maybe Socon throwing a dog a bone.

Thanks Appdad, you just proved my point. This was not the smack board, and you guys never give anyone credit for their efforts, without your crAPPy digs.

seantaylor
October 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
John Mohring should have received the award.

Mr. C
October 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Weaver's performance was the most non-descript game that I've ever seen for a "player of the week." This flew totally under the radar. No one among the press noticed anything about him (Nkang was pretty non-decript, too, even with 14 tackles). Even Weaver's coach, Pete Lembo, seemed surprised by the 25 tackles. I don't believe I've ever seen a game with a large number of tackles like that where a player had mostly assisted tackles. Elon's defense played very poorly. It's hard to credit someone for a great game when the defense gave up so many yards and so many points. Had Weaver not been in the lineup, it's not like Elon's fate would have been much worse. Not trying to knock Weaver's play, just telling the truth.

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
[/COLOR]

Thanks Appdad, you just proved my point. This was not the smack board, and you guys never give anyone credit for their efforts, without your crAPPy digs.

"Never":nono: is a mighty big word and from your long history of reading members posts xcoffeex around here, (Mr. joined Sep 2006), you already know what all the App posters "never" do. :rolleyes:
Surely I must be in the presence of greatness, and don't know it.:bow: Ladies and Gentlemen may I introduce Miss Cleo, Carnac the Great, and Einstein cloned into one! My god it's incredible, the overwelming knowlege! I'm! I'm blinded by the glow:cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know now exactly where to file your :twocents: Till ya know what you're talking about.:nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :eek: :eek::D :D

Take me to the smack board please. Cause "The Cats" just been skinned more than one way. :p ;)

AppState
October 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
We have never belittled western's accomplishments. Either one of them.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Is there some reason you deliberately left out this part of my post, Cat????

Weaver, a sophomore linebacker from New Bern, N.C., recorded a career-high 25 tackles against Appalachian State on Saturday. The total tackles is the most by an Elon player since Chad Nkang hit the same mark last season against Chattanooga. Weaver tied Nkang and former ASU great Julius Thomas for seventh on the SoCon all-time leaders list for most tackles in a game. He entered the game with just 12 tackles this season and only had 19 total tackles in the 2005 season despite playing all 11 games as a true freshman.

That sheds a different light on your claim I belittled the guy, huh??
My point in my post, was that it's unusual that one man's super effort and its results are seldom recognized in losing efforts by his team in naming conf POW, etc.. They should be but aren't.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
"Never":nono: is a mighty big word and from your long history of reading members posts xcoffeex around here, (Mr. joined Sep 2006), you already know what all the App posters "never" do. :rolleyes:
Surely I must be in the presence of greatness, and don't know it.:bow: Ladies and Gentlemen may I introduce Miss Cleo, Carnac the Great, and Einstein cloned into one! My god it's incredible, the overwelming knowlege! I'm! I'm blinded by the glow:cool: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know now exactly where to file your :twocents: Till ya know what you're talking about.:nono: :nono: :nonono2: :nonono2: :eek: :eek::D :D

Take me to the smack board please. Cause "The Cats" just been skinned more than one way. :p ;)

Thanks for covering my back when the Cats guy left out the most important part of the post and the subsequent ones.

BULLDOG8180
October 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM

When the opposing team scores 45 points, they obviously run a lot of plays, therefore better opportunity to make a lot of tackles.:D

citdog
October 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Boy, we Citadel Men sure have the ability to complicate the obvious and simplify the momentous!:D :D

GreatAppSt
October 4th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Cit Dog where ya been man?:) :) :)

GreatAppSt
October 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks for covering my back when the Cats guy left out the most important part of the post and the subsequent ones.

No prob.:D

The Cats
October 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM
We have never belittled western's accomplishments. Either one of them.

We are very proud of our two accomplishments. By the way, what are they????? xlolx xlolx xlolx

My point was, let the guy have his week in the limelight, next week, it'll be someone else (probably from ASU or FU).

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Assissted tackles don't constitute piling on. Solo tackles are nice, but they are definitely not the majority.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Assissted tackles don't constitute piling on. Solo tackles are nice, but they are definitely not the majority.

Didn't say they did but it's strange if you read the Drive chart, he isn't mentioned any 25 times. My guess is he got credit for some an assists often when there were at least 3 in on the tackle (solo +1 or 2) Otherwise he would have been listed with more assists in the official play by play summary on the conf web-site..
Just a guess. Either that or liberal use of "assist'
The guy was definitely in on a bunch of plays. No doubt.
You'll find him mentioned 16 or 17 times on the play by play chart with solos or assists.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
When the opposing team scores 45 points, they obviously run a lot of plays, therefore better opportunity to make a lot of tackles.:D
I'd agree. More than 6 solos.

HiHiYikas
October 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
We are very proud of our two accomplishments. By the way, what are they????? xlolx xlolx xlolx
The two times WCU has beaten ASU in the last 21 meetings, of course. xlolx

(sorry to further the hijacking of this thread)

The Cats
October 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
The two times WCU has beaten ASU in the last 21 meetings, of course. xlolx

(sorry to further the hijacking of this thread)

Oh yeah, and we did get to the NC game once..... Lost it, but we did show up. So that now totals three :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Oh yeah, and we did get to the NC game once..... Lost it, but we did show up. So that now totals three :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

1979??

The Cats
October 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
1979??

The 1983 team.

The Cats
October 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Got to bring my total up to four (4) - Coach Bob Waters

The Bob Waters' Legacy
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/genrel/auto_action/109060.jpeg
Bob Waters and Western Carolina football were synonymous during the 20 football seasons from 1969 through 1988. The evolution and success of the school's athletic programs, especially its football program, during that period can be attributed largely to his talents and personality.
He grew up in the small farming town of Sylvania in south Georgia and, despite physical frailties, earned 11 athletic letters in three sports. During the spring of his senior year at Screven County High School, he traveled to South Georgia College for a tryout and suffered a broken leg the first day and was not offered a scholarship.

He landed on his feet five months later at Stetson University in Deland, Fla., as a freshman quarterback and defensive back. Waters must have wondered if someone was trying to tell him something when Stetson officials decided to drop the school's football program at the end of that season.

Not to be discouraged, in his efforts to play football, Waters took his talents to Presbyterian College in Clinton, S.C., where he spent the next three years as a quarterback, defensive back and an outstanding student. He led Presbyterian to the 1960 Tangerine Bowl and was named the game's most outstanding player despite his team's loss.

His performance in the Tangerine Bowl gave cause for the NFL's San Francisco 49ers and AFL's San Diego Chargers to draft Waters in 1960. He signed with the 49ers, bought a Corvette, grabbed headlines in his first season when he threw three touchdown passes in an upset of the Baltimore Colts, and soon thereafter, met and married Sherine Gidney. He overcame numerous injuries in his five-year NFL career *-- four as quarterback and one as a defensive back.

The injuries mounted and Waters opted for a career change in 1965 as he hung up his cleats and enrolled in graduate school with a coaching career in mind. His alma mater offered the opportunity and he returned as an assistant coach at Presbyterian in 1966. After two seasons, he left Clinton to return to the west coast as the wide receivers coach at Stanford University for the 1968 season. Western Carolina officials gambled and hired Waters, whose coaching experience was limited to those three seasons as an assistant, but it turned out to be one of the best decisions made in the University's history.

He served notice of things to come by leading his first team -- the 1969 Catamounts -- to a 9-1 record with an exciting pass oriented offense. A national ranking followed at the end of the 1972 season and in 1974, when WCU advanced to its first NCAA playoff appearance. His 1983 team will go down as one of the school's best, reaching the NCAA I-AA championship game. In 20 seasons at the helm of the football program, he guided the Catamounts to 116 victories, produced 13 All-Americans, 54 first-team All-Southern Conference selections and brought the University more positive publicity than could ever be measured in monetary terms. Prior to his arrival, WCU had posted only five winning football records in 20 seasons, while 13 of Waters' 20 teams turned in winning ledgers.
In 15 years (1971-86) as athletics director, Waters led the growth and played a key part in the school's membership in the Southern Conference. He cultivated and rallied support for a new football stadium, which became a reality in 1974, and an impressive basketball arena as part of a multipurpose Ramsey Center, which was completed in 1986.

His coaching and administrative successes as well as his courage in his fight against amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or more commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease) were recognized throughout the country as his story was chronicled by every major print and electronic media outlet in the nation. Waters has additionally been inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame, the Florida Citrus Bowl Hall of Fame and the Western Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame.

He was forced to step down as head football coach in March of 1989 and died less than three months later (May 29, 1989) at the age of 50.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/genrel/auto_action/109062.jpeg