View Full Version : The Ineligibowl: Georgia Southern @ App. State

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Wish I could say I'm looking forward to giving a 1-6 App State a beatdown, but I just don't feel overly great. Furman is a decent team with Reese Hannon and I don't think anyone can really argue against that. GSU is going to start our freshman QB Kevin Ellison with Jerick McKinnon playing the fullback position which creates the potential for mistakes. If App cleans up the turnovers and the penalties I think this will be a game. I hope App State's OL is as bad as advertised.

Oh, and one thing I agree with App fans on...thank goodness Sean Price is gone.

344Johnson
October 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Really hope that App is able to bounce back from this type of season. It'd be nice to see a successful moveup

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Really hope that App is able to bounce back from this type of season. It'd be nice to see a successful moveup

Just not this week, please.

344Johnson
October 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Just not this week, please.

I hope its a good game and both teams prove successful in the FBS.

ysubigred
October 19th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Not to sound like a dick.. BUT WTF are GSU and Appy ST fans even posting on AGS for xconfusedx You all were so happy to be out of 1FCS and now you all drag your dip **** drama into playoff crunch time for the contenders xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Not to sound like a dick.. BUT WTF are GSU and Appy ST fans even posting on AGS for xconfusedx You all were so happy to be out of 1FCS and now you all drag your dip **** drama into playoff time xlolx

We are FCS teams for this season, and this is an FCS board.

Cue the debate about scholarships.

xdeadhorsex

ysubigred
October 19th, 2013, 07:03 PM
We are FCS teams for this season, and this is an FCS board.

xsmiley_wixxthumbsupx

PaladinFan
October 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Wish I could say I'm looking forward to giving a 1-6 App State a beatdown, but I just don't feel overly great. Furman is a decent team with Reese Hannon and I don't think anyone can really argue against that. GSU is going to start our freshman QB Kevin Ellison with Jerick McKinnon playing the fullback position which creates the potential for mistakes. If App cleans up the turnovers and the penalties I think this will be a game. I hope App State's OL is as bad as advertised.

My buddy at the game noted App State just looks lost on offense. I think the piper is finally being paid for a few years of weak recruiting along the offensive line.

Frankly, before the game my thought process was that Furman should come out try to smack the Apps early. A team that expected great things, have had a dismal season, and then just dismissed their best player from the team likely would fold up the tents and go home at the first sign of trouble. Turns out that's pretty much what happened.

If Hannon is in the lineup, Furman should be in every SoCon contest here on out. The defense is good enough to keep them in just about any game.

Ivytalk
October 19th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Baldy and I will be there with our better halves. Hope to meet some of you Appy muthagrabbaz. T-Dog is a cool dude!

ngineer
October 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Baldy and I will be there with our better halves. Hope to meet some of you Appy muthagrabbaz. T-Dog is a cool dude!

Give my regards to Baldy. Hard to believe it was almost 10 years ago we met down in GA (along with Eaglegus) when I was taking my son to his first semester in college down in FL.

Reign of Terrier
October 19th, 2013, 11:48 PM
McKinnon at fullback?

That's a thing?

seantaylor
October 20th, 2013, 12:25 AM
We should win big. Ellison is one hell of a player. I wish we would have started him from jump. McKinnon can get drafted in the NFL at about 3 or 4 different positions.

Baldy
October 20th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Give my regards to Baldy. Hard to believe it was almost 10 years ago we met down in GA (along with Eaglegus) when I was taking my son to his first semester in college down in FL.
Thanks ngineer. xthumbsupx

Time certainly flies. Hope everything is going well for you. :)

Baldy
October 20th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Drinks are on Ivy!!! xbeerchugx

:D

Ivytalk
October 20th, 2013, 06:54 AM

IF you have GSU gear on....xnodx

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM
McKinnon at fullback?

That's a thing?

Yep. Rushed for 198 against El Cit at B-back. With 2 B-backs done for the season and Banks out against The Citadel it was really our only choice since Govan hasn't quite mastered the offense yet. It took its toll on McKinnon, but he's a tough kid.

PaladinFan
October 20th, 2013, 10:42 AM
We should win big. Ellison is one hell of a player. I wish we would have started him from jump. McKinnon can get drafted in the NFL at about 3 or 4 different positions.

According to App State and GSU fans in the preseason, both programs "should" be undefeated heading into this weekend. This was supposed to be the biggest game of the years.

It's quite shocking, really, that neither program is strong enough to defeat schools a small fraction of their size with an overwhelming recruiting disadvantage.

SouthernMan
October 20th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Aww poor wittle Furman fan mad no one talking bout their win against App. Did someone have too much whine and cheese yesterday?

Don't worry, you will actually blip on the radar next week.

Eagle22
October 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
According to App State and GSU fans in the preseason, both programs "should" be undefeated heading into this weekend. This was supposed to be the biggest game of the years.

It's quite shocking, really, that neither program is strong enough to defeat schools a small fraction of their size with an overwhelming recruiting disadvantage.

Not really shocking, at least in GSU's case, if you objectively evaluate what injuries have done to the team. Injuries are an equalizer that any recruiting advantage, perceived or real, cannot always overcome. I think a lot of teams that have been subjected to injuries have had to play younger kids with less experience, which has led to less-than-perfect outcomes. I think your team is one of those as well.

Despite the injuries, GSU had opportunities to win both games they lost ... but didn't. Kudos to the Bulldogs and Terriers for taking advantage. The Eagles didn't play well enough to win, and that was completely independent on the enrollment numbers of their opponent. GSU beat USF twice in the late 90's, despite the Bulls having 35K enrollment at the time so I feel pretty certain that school size isn't the best predictor of future success.

blueballs
October 20th, 2013, 11:01 AM

You're right... GSU isn't good enough to go undefeated despite losing an all american RB, two all conference offensive linemen, an all conference DE, two other RB's who have multiple 100 yard games, a starting QB from last year, two starting linebackers, and another dozen or so on the two deep.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM

He's a good player, but he's also a freshmen and it shows from time to time. If we lose the turnover battle I think we can lose the game. We can't make the same number of mistakes we did against the Citadel.

I can see us blowing App out and I can see us losing, too.

I'd like to know what GSU fan was saying we'd be undefeated coming into this game? Most were predicting 7-1 or 6-2 in conference games, and I don't think anyone foresaw the deluge of injuries (particularly at the fullback position) we were going to have. We pretty much were thinking coming into this season that Wofford, Samford, Chatty, and El Cid were 4 of the 5 most difficult conference games. Turns out they were the 4 most difficult conference games.

OL FU
October 20th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I hope you both losexblehx:D

GSUsTALON
October 20th, 2013, 11:28 AM
He's a good player, but he's also a freshmen and it shows from time to time. If we lose the turnover battle I think we can lose the game. We can't make the same number of mistakes we did against the Citadel.

I can see us blowing App out and I can see us losing, too.

I'd like to know what GSU fan was saying we'd be undefeated coming into this game? Most were predicting 7-1 or 6-2 in conference games, and I don't think anyone foresaw the deluge of injuries (particularly at the fullback position) we were going to have. We pretty much were thinking coming into this season that Wofford, Samford, Chatty, and El Cid were 4 of the 5 most difficult conference games. Turns out they were the 4 most difficult conference games.

Based on last year I was one of those that predicted a 10-1 or 10-2 season.

ASUG8
October 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Not to sound like a dick.. BUT WTF are GSU and Appy ST fans even posting on AGS for xconfusedx You all were so happy to be out of 1FCS and now you all drag your dip **** drama into playoff crunch time for the contenders xlolx

Too late...you kinda sound like a dick with that comment. I guess you understand that no one on this board made the decision to go up, right? Lots of opinions exist about whether it's a good move or not, and it's been beaten to death in several other threads.

seantaylor
October 20th, 2013, 09:50 PM

You understand what we are doing, right. Monken said in an article that 27 players were out from injuries. Some of those are legit injuries, but it is very clear we are red shirting a bunch in this throwaway year.

T-Dog
October 21st, 2013, 01:06 AM
So what's the lowest temperature Georgia Southern has ever won a game in?

Eagle22
October 21st, 2013, 05:50 AM
So what's the lowest temperature Georgia Southern has ever won a game in?

I know it was in the upper 20's when we beat Montana in the '89 playoffs. It warmed up late in game and started sleeting. Also won against UD in 2000 in a game that was in the 30's, though I can't recall the exact temperature.

We really don't have that many games we play in the cold, well ... at least outdoors. Seems like most of our trips to colder weather locales have been indoors (UNI, NDSU, ETSU).

What was the temperature when we played ASU in 2001 & 2007 ? 2001 it was cold to start with, but being in the full sun on the one side it was pretty warm by mid-day. 2007 wasn't really that cold. Seemed very cold to me in 2011, but I don't believe the temperature had an impact on the game, quite frankly.

pike51
October 21st, 2013, 06:42 AM
I know it was in the upper 20's when we beat Montana in the '89 playoffs. It warmed up late in game and started sleeting. Also won against UD in 2000 in a game that was in the 30's, though I can't recall the exact temperature.

We really don't have that many games we play in the cold, well ... at least outdoors. Seems like most of our trips to colder weather locales have been indoors (UNI, NDSU, ETSU).

What was the temperature when we played ASU in 2001 & 2007 ? 2001 it was cold to start with, but being in the full sun on the one side it was pretty warm by mid-day. 2007 wasn't really that cold. Seemed very cold to me in 2011, but I don't believe the temperature had an impact on the game, quite frankly.

Don't forget our recent trip to William and Mary in the playoffs. It was cold that day and the snow moved in just as the game finished up.

pike51
October 21st, 2013, 06:43 AM

How else would we keep up with the musings of Chattownmocs?

The Eagle's Cliff
October 21st, 2013, 07:05 AM
I hope you both losexblehx:D

I get your resentment, but look on the bright side - now that GSU is leaving the SoCon, Furman can go back to the days of being relevant in the conference again! FU ALL THE TIME!!

Go Apps
October 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM

Look forward to a huge win - we are just awful...what a disappointing game this will be as the embarrassment continues

ysubigred
October 21st, 2013, 07:14 AM
Too late...you kinda sound like a dick with that comment. I guess you understand that no one on this board made the decision to go up, right? Lots of opinions exist about whether it's a good move or not, and it's been beaten to death in several other threads.

Oh... Now I get it xsmiley_wixDon't the Sun Belt/FBS have a board? They can start getting used to ya'll taking over the conference xthumbsupx I sincerly will miss GSU and Appy at 1FCS.. I believe we took a hit on storied programs that made 1 FCS what it is today. Good luck xbowx

Baldy
October 21st, 2013, 07:46 AM

I know I froze my ass off in the freezing rain at Chattanooga during the 2000 NC game. :)

Eaglesrus
October 21st, 2013, 07:50 AM

IF you have GSU gear on....xnodx

I think that I can find some GSU gear, where and when is the gathering?

Ivytalk
October 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM
I think that I can find some GSU gear, where and when is the gathering?

PM Baldy!

OL FU
October 21st, 2013, 08:42 AM
I get your resentment, but look on the bright side - now that GSU is leaving the SoCon, Furman can go back to the days of being relevant in the conference again! FU ALL THE TIME!!

I look at it as raising the caliber of the conference's morals and behavior and academic integrity:D

Actually, I look at it as bad for all involved but generally kept my opinion to myself. But as I have said to ASU fans on here and now will say to GSU fans, I will miss you and wish you the best, which is probably one of the more honest statements I have made on this website:o

pike51
October 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM
I look at it as raising the caliber of the conference's morals and behavior and academic integrity:D

Actually, I look at it as bad for all involved but generally kept my opinion to myself. But as I have said to ASU fans on here and now will say to GSU fans, I will miss you and wish you the best, which is probably one of the more honest statements I have made on this website:o

Look... I don't care what tactics you use, we're not taking Chattanooga with us. :)

SpeedkingATL
October 21st, 2013, 08:54 AM
It will be interesting to see how the App players and fans react. Will the fans be there in force as with most Black Saturday/GaSo games or have the bandwagoneers already departed?? Will the players pull themselves together to make a statement and take the Eagles down?? I predict the team with the least amount of turnovers will win. I have sent a case of "stickum" to the App athletic office this morning in hopes of not seeing a repeat of the Furman Fumblethon.

oldfart
October 21st, 2013, 09:03 AM
NM

PaladinFan
October 21st, 2013, 09:09 AM

I feel much the same. While sad to see some great rivalries end, I think all the programs are doing what is in their best interest.

I also think Furman is on the way back to relevancy regardless of what App State and GSU do. Hard not to watch that game on Saturday between Furman/App and not see two programs trending in opposite directions.

eaglewraith
October 21st, 2013, 09:37 AM

I need a shower after this statement. Too much lovey dovey coming from a Furple xblehx

pike51
October 21st, 2013, 02:14 PM
App State released a highlight video for the 2013 season through this past weekend's game. I guess they wanted to motivate the players and fans for Black Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnVv0RkiG4U

dbackjon
October 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM
Baldy and I will be there with our better halves.

cap'n Cat and D1B?

Baldy
October 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
cap'n Cat and D1B?
jon, he said halves, not calves. :)

Ivytalk
October 21st, 2013, 09:50 PM
cap'n Cat and D1B?

Hah! Mongo straight!

seantaylor
October 22nd, 2013, 01:27 AM
I feel much the same. While sad to see some great rivalries end, I think all the programs are doing what is in their best interest.

I also think Furman is on the way back to relevancy regardless of what App State and GSU do. Hard not to watch that game on Saturday between Furman/App and not see two programs trending in opposite directions.

You have said this exact same thing the past 3 years. Furman is still one of the worst teams in the conference, and will get rolled in Statesboro as a going away present.

PaladinFan
October 22nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
You have said this exact same thing the past 3 years. Furman is still one of the worst teams in the conference, and will get rolled in Statesboro as a going away present.

No, I have said Furman is improving. I have long said that 2014 is the year Furman will come back on the national scene. They will be back in the rankings regardless of whether GSU and App are playing in SoCon or the SunBelt.

The Paladins have taken massive hits in the quarterback department the past several seasons. Highly recruited players have transferred for family reasons, leaving a void at the position and the need to fill in with young players forced to learn on the job. The defense is already there, but once the offense can build depth and experience at that position, we'll be mighty tough. I'd argue that had Reese Hannon played against Elon and GWU, Furman would be 5-2 right now.

OL FU
October 22nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
I need a shower after this statement. Too much lovey dovey coming from a Furple xblehx

What can I say? I am a sucker for love/hate relationships

citdog
October 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-51rxmDpRE

Horseshoe App
October 22nd, 2013, 06:36 PM
I guess you saw something I didn't. I was at the game. We just made more mistakes than Furman. Yes, we are not that good right now, but you talk as if Furman is. If we would not have had all the stupid turnovers, we would have won. This is not because we good right now, because we are not. Furman did nothing to show they are good. They were just the better of two evils. I am glad you have rose color glasses, but get real about things. You talk like you crushed us when we outgained you substantially(please look at the stats, it was not all in junk time). Anyway, keep believing Furman is really good if it makes you feel good.

dbackjon
October 22nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
jon, he said halves, not calves. :)

You mean steers?

Hah! Mongo straight!

Not the story that is coming out of South Georgia

gsu2583
October 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
The hatred seems a little subdued this year. Maybe because of the transition. Maybe because of App having a down year. Maybe because the entire GSU team is featured on the Walking Dead.

After we both announced the move up to FBS there was some odd "love" going on between App and GSU. "Cats and dogs, living together... mass hysteria!" We need to ratchet up the hate here for a few days. Then we can go back to some...kinda... plutonic... stuff?

"Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of hatred between GSU and Appy fans. Based on this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie... thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds."

WataugaDave
October 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
We are already guaranteed our first losing season in 20 goddamned years. And while the Eagles have had better seasons, you're still a ranked team who can, god forbid, win football games. I love rivalries and all, but the excitement level for this game around Boone has dropped a lot.

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2hfl55l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ow1aiOuyTo

OL FU
October 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-51rxmDpRE

Oh hell I feel the same way about the Citadel. Even more I would miss those made for the Hyatt uniforms you wearxsmugx

CropDuster
October 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2hfl55l.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/TigerII/gifs/gsukillAE.gif

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 23rd, 2013, 12:17 PM
The hatred seems a little subdued this year. Maybe because of the transition. Maybe because of App having a down year. Maybe because the entire GSU team is featured on the Walking Dead.

After we both announced the move up to FBS there was some odd "love" going on between App and GSU. "Cats and dogs, living together... mass hysteria!" We need to ratchet up the hate here for a few days. Then we can go back to some...kinda... plutonic... stuff?

"Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of hatred between GSU and Appy fans. Based on this morning's sample, it would be a Twinkie... thirty-five feet long, weighing approximately six hundred pounds."

Here's the issue with this game...

If we win this game both fan bases will forget about it in 3 years, if not sooner. There won't be a lot of bragging rights of beating a 2-10 or 3-9 App. team even if we win 70-7.

If we lose, I'm quite sure it will stick in our minds for a long time, and App. fans won't let us forget it even if we could. And not to mention it will make the series record more uneven right before going into the Sun Belt.

I really don't care anything about beating App this year, I just really, really don't want to lose.

blueballs
October 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Easily one of the best ever FCS rivalries... the 94, 99, 00, 01 regular season, 06, 07, 08, 10, and 12 games were all classics.

Maybe T - Dog, Klak, Mr. C and others have some videos and links... a lot of FCS history in those games I mentioned.

citdog
October 23rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Easily one of the best ever FCS rivalries... the 94, 99, 00, 01 regular season, 06, 07, 08, 10, and 12 games were all classics.

Maybe T - Dog, Klak, Mr. C and others have some videos and links... a lot of FCS history in those games I mentioned.

you gsu people have NO SENSE OF HISTORY. It is NOT a rivalry if it hasn't been played at least 35 times.

pike51
October 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
you gsu people have NO SENSE OF HISTORY. It is NOT a rivalry if it hasn't been played at least 35 times.

So North vs South wasn't a rivalry then because it was done ONCE. BTW... the south lost that one (even thought they are still playing in OT by themselves). :)

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2013, 03:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/TigerII/gifs/gsukillAE.gif

Remember the winning touchdown?

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2evsrck.jpg

pike51
October 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
Remember the winning touchdown?

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2evsrck.jpg

You mean the one where he didn't actually cross the goal line? :)

pike51
October 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhrAyaCjH4

T-Dog
October 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM

Yeah and this wasn't a catch.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2a9tmd4.jpg

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM
Yeah and this wasn't a catch.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2a9tmd4.jpg

Yea I'm gonna need some more angles on that.

gsu2583
October 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Yea I'm gonna need some more angles on that.

i think that black strip, plus the pylons being on the back line aided in the illusion of that being a catch. I didn't think he had possession we he came down with it.

Meh

Skjellyfetti
October 23rd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Did the ref's give us the win in 2009 as well?

Just trying to figure out when the last time we legitimately beat y'all was....?

xrolleyesx

SoCon2013
October 23rd, 2013, 06:39 PM
So North vs South wasn't a rivalry then because it was done ONCE. BTW... the south lost that one (even thought they are still playing in OT by themselves). :)

The South lost but check which one suffered the most casualties.

SoCon2013
October 23rd, 2013, 06:40 PM

Ummmm. He crossed the plane before he was knocked back down. Read your rules, if you can.

SoCon2013
October 23rd, 2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhrAyaCjH4

Those stands in the back ground look a lot like those in ASU's stadium.... back around 1960.

citdog
October 23rd, 2013, 06:45 PM
Those stands in the back ground look a lot like those in ASU's stadium.... back around 1960.

actually they looked WORSE than that as recently as the late 90's

blueballs
October 23rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
GSU didn't lose to App the last two years because of the officiating, they lost both times due to empty red zone trips... just so we're truthful. A lot of GSU folks, including many at the Red Flag tailgate, didn't want to face the truth and would rather blame the refs, which is pretty piss poor.

You may now return to the regularly scheduled pre game smack session.

Saint3333
October 23rd, 2013, 08:09 PM

BS, we've beaten WCU, Citadel, UTC, Elon etc. like a rented mule historically 20 or 30 times, those where jsut games on the schedule.

GSU is our rival and played 26 times. 16 of which were for the conference title or a playoff game. Imagine if Alabama played Michigan annually for the last 20 years, that is what we're talking about at the FCS level type of rivalry.

Most memorable

1987 - snowing playoff game, triple option fail, students write in the snow on the hill "you can't score" - 19-0 App
1996 - GSU is killing App, back up QB, Bake Baker comes in and scores 3 TDs only to fall short.
1999 - App defense plays the best game I've ever seen, Wes Hunter returns a fumble to defeat # 1 GSU, I personally help carry the goal posts
2000 - App D holds AP under 100 yards bit Revere runs wild, GSU wins
2007 - GSU breaks App's 30+ game home winning streak
2008 - AE runs over a GSU LB and wins by one on a late second pass in OT
2013 - GSU turns the ball over four times and App wins by one on a fumble returned for a TD in a game they have no business winning...

That is a rivalry.

Eagle22
October 23rd, 2013, 09:19 PM
BS, we've beaten WCU, Citadel, UTC, Elon etc. like a rented mule historically 20 or 30 times, those where jsut games on the schedule.

GSU is our rival and played 26 times. 16 of which were for the conference title or a playoff game. Imagine if Alabama played Michigan annually for the last 20 years, that is what we're talking about at the FCS level type of rivalry.

Most memorable

1987 - snowing playoff game, triple option fail, students write in the snow on the hill "you can't score" - 19-0 App
1996 - GSU is killing App, back up QB, Bake Baker comes in and scores 3 TDs only to fall short.
1999 - App defense plays the best game I've ever seen, Wes Hunter returns a fumble to defeat # 1 GSU, I personally help carry the goal posts
2013 - GSU turns the ball over four times and App wins by one on a fumble returned for a TD in a game they have no business winning...

That is a rivalry.

Certainly a rivalry.

And I wish you were wrong about 1996. Bake's late heroics and 3 TD's were enough to propel ASU to a win that season in Paulson.

The best part about that 2007 win was not only did it break ASU's 30+ home winning streak, it was likely the firewall game that prevented ASU from ultimately erasing GSU's place in the record books with the longest and second longest home game win streaks. I had told Hatcher multiple times that was a must win game ... right after he was hired.

That's one that even NDSU has a ways to go to topple.

My favorite GSU-ASU season was the one we beat you twice ;)

GSU Eagle
October 23rd, 2013, 09:27 PM
There have been a couple of blowout thrown in there but almost every time GSU and App have played it has come down to the last 5 minutes of the game and the final score has been within a touchdown.

eaglewraith
October 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM

Yea but there's running water in those buildings back there that ya'll didn't have before 5 years ago.

SpeedkingATL
October 24th, 2013, 08:56 AM
GSU didn't lose to App the last two years because of the officiating, they lost both times due to empty red zone trips... just so we're truthful. A lot of GSU folks, including many at the Red Flag tailgate, didn't want to face the truth and would rather blame the refs, which is pretty piss poor.

You may now return to the regularly scheduled pre game smack session.

The failures in the red zone AND the lack of a kicking game. I think anyone that has followed SoCon football can blame the officials for about any loss if you really work at it. Unfortunately they are just very inconsistent....or consistently poor, depending on your definition.

walliver
October 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM
The failures in the red zone AND the lack of a kicking game. I think anyone that has followed SoCon football can blame the officials for about any loss if you really work at it. Unfortunately they are just very inconsistent....or consistently poor, depending on your definition.

SoCon refs are equal opportunity offenders.

Fans tend to notice the calls that go against us, and forget about those that go for us.

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Certainly a rivalry.

And I wish you were wrong about 1996. Bake's late heroics and 3 TD's were enough to propel ASU to a win that season in Paulson.

The best part about that 2007 win was not only did it break ASU's 30+ home winning streak, it was likely the firewall game that prevented ASU from ultimately erasing GSU's place in the record books with the longest and second longest home game win streaks. I had told Hatcher multiple times that was a must win game ... right after he was hired.

That's one that even NDSU has a ways to go to topple.

My favorite GSU-ASU season was the one we beat you twice ;)

Did someone say something about breaking up a home winning streak?

Eagle22
October 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Did someone say something about breaking up a home winning streak?

The longest home win streak I was referencing wasn't broken up by the Paladins.

That record was set during the late 80's and 90's, long before the game you're referencing in 2001. Furman did end the 2nd longest home win streak, and the longest home winning streak in the playoffs, both of which are still intact as well, which I surmise was the point of your interjection ...

Again, I suppose NDSU has the most realistic chance of any FCS team in surpassing it ... I doubt it will be Furman :p

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM
The longest home win streak I was referencing wasn't broken up by the Paladins.

That record was set during the late 80's and 90's, long before the game you're referencing in 2001. Furman did end the 2nd longest home win streak, and the longest home winning streak in the playoffs, both of which are still intact as well, which I surmise was the point of your interjection ...

Again, I suppose NDSU has the most realistic chance of any FCS team in surpassing it ... I doubt it will be Furman :p

You surmised correctly.

Furman did break up Richie Williams longest consecutive completion streak as well sometime along late in the game. We can add that as well.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Most memorable

That is a rivalry.

NO it's NOT.......and for the record WHO GOT BEAT LIKE THE MULE YOU REFERENCED ABOVE THE LAST TWO MEETINGS WITH THE CITADEL BULLDOGS? COME ON SAINT YOU CAN CAN SAY IT.

Y'all will have an actual rivalry when the game is played another 20 or so times. But it won't really matter because NO ONE WILL NOTICE OR CARE in the sun bletch.

THESE are rivalries

http://www.citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2009-10/photos/359707/Citadel_Defense-Furman-3.jpg

http://www.oocities.org/gjaxson01/images/img_3634_std.jpg

pike51
October 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM
NO it's NOT.......and for the record WHO GOT BEAT LIKE THE MULE YOU REFERENCED ABOVE THE LAST TWO MEETINGS WITH THE CITADEL BULLDOGS? COME ON SAINT YOU CAN CAN SAY IT.

Y'all will have an actual rivalry when the game is played another 20 or so times. But it won't really matter because NO ONE WILL NOTICE OR CARE in the sun bletch.

THESE are rivalries

Get over yourself. The football world does not revolve around Citadel. NOTHING in the definition of the word rivalry requires a minimum number of games to be played. Quit talking out of your ass. I'm sorry that the 2 best teams in the SoCon are leaving you for greener pastures, but don't worry, now you have a better chance at winning the conference.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Get over yourself. The football world does not revolve around Citadel. NOTHING in the definition of the word rivalry requires a minimum number of games to be played. Quit talking out of your ass. I'm sorry that the 2 best teams in the SoCon are leaving you for greener pastures, but don't worry, now you have a better chance at winning the conference.

When people talk of a rivalry the number of meetings is ALWAYS mentioned. what you two erring sisters have just doesn't qualify.......no matter what you want to tell yourselves......CAN'T WAIT for y'all to be gone and forgotten. Those pastures you speak of are all full of

http://www.muthstruths.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/a.jpg

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the 1-5 team that came in and got waxed by Furman in Greenville last week is not one of the two best teams in the SoCon. Largest universities, yes. Best teams? Debatable.

pike51
October 24th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the 1-5 team that came in and got waxed by Furman in Greenville last week is not one of the two best teams in the SoCon. Largest universities, yes. Best teams? Debatable.

App State NOT one of the best teams from the SoCon? WTF are you smoking? Down year or not, you can not argue that they have not been consistently a contender for the title each year?

Since 1990:

App State: 10 conference titles
Georgia Southern: 10 conference titles
Furman: 4 conference titles
Citadel: 1 conference title
Wofford: 4 conference titles
Chattanooga: 0 conference titles

Heck, since 2005, App State has held a share of the conference title every year except 1. And you really going to sit there and tell me that the 2 best teams in recent SoCon history are NOT App State and Georgia Southern? Get real!

As for citdog, it's clear that his hatred of losing on a consistent basis to App and GSU lead to his hatred of these 2 superior institutions and he can't wait for them to leave so that his beloved Citadel might possibly add to that pitiful lack of accomplishment they possess.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 01:31 PM
As for citdog, it's clear that his hatred of losing on a consistent basis to App and GSU lead to his hatred of these 2 superior institutions and he can't wait for them to leave so that his beloved Citadel might possibly add to that pitiful lack of accomplishment they possess.

this year yosef MAY be better than Western Carolina. I don't think they are and their exit has been a LAUGH RIOT! REALLY IT HAS BEEN JUST A GUTBUSTER! YOSEFS EVERYONE IS LAUGHING AT YOU! ALL OVER THE COUNTRY EVEN! THE MIGHTY APPY ST IS 1-5! JUSTICE! AFTER THE KNIFE IN THE BACK GIVEN TO JERRY MOORE IT'S NOTHING BUT JUSTICE AND JUST DESSERTS!

PLEASE GET THYSELF TO THE sun bletch AND FOOTBALL OBSCURITY WITH A QUICKNESS!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 24th, 2013, 01:33 PM
If the age makes the rivalry, does that mean the Battle for the Old Mountain Jug is better than GSU-App?

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 01:37 PM
If the age makes the rivalry, does that mean the Battle for the Old Mountain Jug is better than GSU-App?

yep!

PaladinFan
October 24th, 2013, 02:26 PM
App State NOT one of the best teams from the SoCon? WTF are you smoking? Down year or not, you can not argue that they have not been consistently a contender for the title each year?

Since 1990:

Heck, since 2005, App State has held a share of the conference title every year except 1. And you really going to sit there and tell me that the 2 best teams in recent SoCon history are NOT App State and Georgia Southern? Get real!

You said the two best teams. You did not say one of the two best teams in recent SoCon history.

I'm not debating GSU and App State are two of the best teams in recent SoCon history. However, just looking at the season, they are not the two best teams in the SoCon right now.

GATA
October 24th, 2013, 02:30 PM

So it'll be exactly like it is in the SOCON/FCS...gotcha. Glad we cleared that up.

In the meantime, I'm sure everybody will be tuning in for the big Elon/Citadel "rivalry" on ESPN3.

What the hell were we thinking by jumping ship?

Saint3333
Citdog may not be the expert on rivalries but he is an expert on obscurity by default.

gsu2583
this year yosef MAY be better than Western Carolina. I don't think they are and their exit has been a LAUGH RIOT! REALLY IT HAS BEEN JUST A GUTBUSTER! YOSEFS EVERYONE IS LAUGHING AT YOU! ALL OVER THE COUNTRY EVEN! THE MIGHTY APPY ST IS 1-5! JUSTICE! AFTER THE KNIFE IN THE BACK GIVEN TO JERRY MOORE IT'S NOTHING BUT JUSTICE AND JUST DESSERTS!

App is actually 1-6. Can you not read/count? It doesn't surprise me.

So we are now judging the quality of a program (or a rivalry) by their current performance in any given season?

How pathetic are you?

Saint3333
October 24th, 2013, 02:31 PM
You said the two best teams. You did not say one of the two best teams in recent SoCon history.

I'm not debating GSU and App State are two of the best teams in recent SoCon history. However, just looking at the season, they are not the two best teams in the SoCon right now.

Should have said best two programs.

DoWe
October 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM
One thing is certain. These Southern Conference discussions will be a lot less entertaining when GSU & ASU posters are no longer here.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
So it'll be exactly like it is in the SOCON/FCS...gotcha. Glad we cleared that up.

In the meantime, I'm sure everybody will be tuning in for the big Elon/Citadel "rivalry" on ESPN3.

What the hell were we thinking by jumping ship?

you have gotten more attention for your game here than you will ever get in fbs lite.

our rivals are Furman who we have played 93 times and VMI who we have played 68 times.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Citdog may not be the expert on rivalries but he is an expert on obscurity by default.

http://citadelsports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/photos/0014/Warren_FG.jpg

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM
App is actually 1-6. Can you not read/count? It doesn't surprise me.

So we are now judging the quality of a program (or a rivalry) by their current performance in any given season?

How pathetic are you?

how else can a team be judged except by their record?

again......NOT a rivalary!

about as pathetic as the sun belt

gsu2583
October 24th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Remember the 1985 and 1988 I-AA championships that Citadel and Furman split?

Oh... yeah...

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Remember the 1985 and 1988 I-AA championships that Citadel and Furman split?

Oh... yeah...

you sir are a champion of the non sequitur

gsu2583
October 24th, 2013, 03:50 PM
you sir are a champion of the non sequitur

I dub thee "a slightly less ****ty version of Chattown."

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 03:51 PM
I dub thee "a slightly less ****ty version of Chattown."

with 404 posts you a'int dubbing anybody **** around here

gsu2583
October 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM
with 404 posts you a'int dubbing anybody **** around here

Ohhh, so you're one of those people who equate post numbers with credibility?

Yeah, I left my give-a-damn in my other pants.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Ohhh, so you're one of those people who equate post numbers with credibility?

Yeah, I left my give-a-damn in my other pants.

no.....just have NO idea who you are!

unlike most eaglets gsu2583 has more than one pair of pants. AH! SUCCESS!

gsu2583
October 24th, 2013, 04:05 PM
no.....just have NO idea who you are!

unlike most eaglets gsu2583 has more than one pair of pants. AH! SUCCESS!

Ah. I'm someone who reads to board a lot, but doesn't feel the need to post every thought/response I have to every other post. Except, for instance, in the fact of abject stupidity (i.e. saying the GSU v App is not a rivalry) I feel compelled to chime in.

It's not a rivalry in your book? Fine. Take your three playoff appearances (two of which you lost to Southern, BTW) and be comfortable in your station in the SoCon as the definitive authority on rivalries. WE (App and Southern) however, have sufficiently fished this pond out, which is why we are leaving. Good luck cast-netting for minnows.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Ah. I'm someone who reads to board a lot, but doesn't feel the need to post every thought/response I have to every other post. Except, for instance, in the fact of abject stupidity (i.e. saying the GSU v App is not a rivalry) I feel compelled to chime in.

It's not a rivalry in your book? Fine. Take your three playoff appearances (two of which you lost to Southern, BTW) and be comfortable in your station in the SoCon as the definitive authority on rivalries. WE (App and Southern) however, have sufficiently fished this pond out, which is why we are leaving. Good luck cast-netting for minnows.

1. It's NOT
2. Playoff experience or lack thereof do not make #1 any less true.
3. 1-6 isn't good fishing
4. BYE!

gsu2583
October 24th, 2013, 04:15 PM
1. It's NOT
2. Playoff experience or lack thereof do not make #1 any less true.
3. 1-6 isn't good fishing
4. BYE!

Just curious. Where did this 35 game minimum (or whatever you said) come from?

Southern Bison
October 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Lil' Man & I are heading up from Charlotte for the game. It'll be great to meet fellow AGSers. Just keep an eye out for some Green & Yellow strolling around where y'all will be tailgating and give us a yell and we'll stop by.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Just curious. Where did this 35 game minimum (or whatever you said) come from?

i just pulled that # out of my arse. along with an autographed picture of brian van gorder

gsu2583
October 24th, 2013, 04:34 PM
i just pulled that # out of my arse. along with an autographed picture of brian van gorder

Birds of a feather, huh?

Lehigh'98
October 24th, 2013, 05:11 PM
How come Van Gorder had success at UGA, but was so bad at GSU?? Also, he's kinda scary looking in an ugly sorta way

CID1990
October 24th, 2013, 05:23 PM

Since 1990:

Hell, I bet Marshall fans still talk about their I-AA success like it was yesterday, too.

blueballs
October 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM
How come Van Gorder had success at UGA, but was so bad at GSU?? Also, he's kinda scary looking in an ugly sorta way

He wasn't the head coach at UGA, he was the coordinator of a defense stacked with future pros.

As for his sleazy look, his snot catcher went out of style around 1979.

Lehigh'98
October 24th, 2013, 06:45 PM
He wasn't the head coach at UGA, he was the coordinator of a defense stacked with future pros.

As for his sleazy look, his snot catcher went out of style around 1979.

I saw he was only D-coordinator, but his defenses were top 10 in the country. Plus he is now a position coach in the NFL. Did he just have a down yr at GSU or was he not a good head coach?

Sandlapper Spike
October 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM
My impression from a safe distance was that he was about as bad a head coach as you could imagine.

blueballs
October 24th, 2013, 07:14 PM
My impression from a safe distance was that he was about as bad a head coach as you could imagine.

You are very observant Spike, and very correct.

blueballs
October 24th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Back to Pike's post, and I am avowed to defend him (phi phi k a)...

GSU was eligible for the SoCon title for 20 years... from 1993 to 2012. in that time they won the conference 10 times, made the semifinals 8 times, the finals 3 times, and won the NC twice.

Pwnage.....

PhillyApp1
October 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Cit Dog .....NObody put a knife in JERRY MOORE but Jerry Moore....say the truth, i and many others spoke to his wife during the season and he knew darn well it was his last year..JM is not GOD, Not JoePa, NOT Bobby Bowden, and the last 3 seasons had many more issues BEHIND the scenes that should have gotten him fired by many schools.....now you can go on and post about how The Cit finished strong against APP State the last 2 years and that is ALL the gloat you have for the last 20 years...I like your military history posts better ;-)

PhillyApp1
October 24th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Lil' Man & I are heading up from Charlotte for the game. It'll be great to meet fellow AGSers. Just keep an eye out for some Green & Yellow strolling around where y'all will be tailgating and give us a yell and we'll stop by.

Southern Bison...Come by the "Short Bus" on River Street...I will be in the "Convict Outfit" ;-)

AppMan
October 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Cit Dog .....NObody put a knife in JERRY MOORE but Jerry Moore....say the truth, i and many others spoke to his wife during the season and he knew darn well it was his last year..JM is not GOD, Not JoePa, NOT Bobby Bowden, and the last 3 seasons had many more issues BEHIND the scenes that should have gotten him fired by many schools.....now you can go on and post about how The Cit finished strong against APP State the last 2 years and that is ALL the gloat you have for the last 20 years...I like your military history posts better ;-)

Well said, but it's a waste of data. Like a lot of others, to CitDog Jerry Moore is infallible and swallowed the "blindsided" story hook, line and sinker.

catamount man
October 25th, 2013, 07:34 AM
I hope you both losexblehx:D xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

catamount man
October 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Irony is that I've read where if WCU beats the Apps this year, they are going to try and destroy the JUG before Western players get it. Gee, I didn't think WCU was that much of a threat all these years?xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx GO CATS!

CID1990
October 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Well said, but it's a waste of data. Like a lot of others, to CitDog Jerry Moore is infallible and swallowed the "blindsided" story hook, line and sinker.

Getting rid of Jerry might have been the best option for ASU, I don't know. But it could be that he winds up being ASU's Charlie Taaffe. Back in the 90s we were split over his firing, but now after nearly 20 years of musical coaches and mostly losing seasons, pretty much the consensus is "why in Gods name did we ever fire Charlie Taaffe?" He has had success at every program he has been with since.

Hopefully ASU fans won't have to suffer through the same stretch of bad coaching decisions we have.

gsu2583
October 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/remembering-a-rivalry/

Doesn't he know this isn't a rivalry?

citdog
October 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/remembering-a-rivalry/

Doesn't he know this isn't a rivalry?

little josh doesn't know much.......he proved that here YEARS ago...and now again though no longer a swami

Skjellyfetti
October 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Irony is that I've read where if WCU beats the Apps this year, they are going to try and destroy the JUG before Western players get it. Gee, I didn't think WCU was that much of a threat all these years?xrotatehxxrotatehxxrotatehx GO CATS!

Your reliable SoCon bartender has all the inside info.

blueballs
October 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
little josh doesn't know much.......he proved that here YEARS ago...and now again though no longer a swami

Uhhhhh that wasn't Josh, it was BJ Bennett.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2013, 11:16 PM
How TACKY would that be???

Mr. C
October 25th, 2013, 11:42 PM

Most memorable

That is a rivalry.
Need to correct some facts here. The 1996 is something a lot of us tagged as the Bake Baker Bowl. Baker, who had hardly played in his previous years in the program, replaced an ineffective Gerard Hardy (who had trouble passing consistently — sound like any current QB we know?) and threw to TDs to tie the score and then hits Otis Smith on a double-move, pump fake stop and go route to set up the go-ahead score to spark ASU to the lead, 35-28. Then Dexter Coakley injured a knee on the final GSU drive and his replacement, Joey Hall, broke up a fourth-down pass by Kenny Robinson to preserve the Mountaineer victory. There was also a weird punt play where the GSU kick bounced off blocker Rod Thomas and was recovered by the Eagles to set up a TD as GSU took control in the first half.

In the 2007 game (not a correction, but an elaboration), Armanti Edwards plays a terrible game coming off an injury as the Mountaineers fall behind, but a Dexter Jackson punt return inside the GSU 20-yard line looks to put the Mountaineers in position to come back for the win. But the SoCon zebras call a blocking in the back penalty on the return (replays showed the blocker hit the Eagle player on the side, not the back) and Edwards is forced out of bounds on a fourth-down scramble inches short of a first down as GSU preserves the win. Great game from Jayson Foster and great game plan from Chris Hatcher and his staff to move Foster all over the place in the game.

In the 1987 game, Erk Russell had steam rising off his bald head on the sideline during the game — one of the coldest ones in Kidd Brewer Stadium history — and a new-fangled machine that ASU had purchased to remove snow helped turn the field into an ice rink, making it almost impossible for the Eagles to run their option. Russell was going to try to go out on the field for the game in shirt sleeves, but was told by the training staff "If you don't put on some more clothes, Erk, you might DIE out there today."

In 1993, Georgia Southern was on its way to a SoCon title in its first SoCon season and needed a blocked punt off ASU's Will Burkett (who gave up four of those during the season) to secure a 16-14 victory. That was the last time ASU had a losing season.

The past three years in this series have been spectacular, just as we have come to expect.

Mr. C
October 25th, 2013, 11:49 PM
VanGorder's arrogance and his knack for destroying tradition were two of his downfalls. But he also became a laughing stock among other SoCon coaches, in particular for how bad a job that Georgia Southern did in making in-game adjustments. That coming off the Paul Johnson days a few years early, where Johnson was arguably the best in-game adjustment coach many of us have ever seen at the FCS level. VanGorder had no business ever being a head coach.

WataugaDave
October 26th, 2013, 03:58 PM
This has been a down and dirty game so far. There will be some serious growing pains with the FBS move, but this will continue to be a great rivalry.

blueballs
October 26th, 2013, 04:03 PM
It has taken me 5 games (the first two were basically exhibitions) to admit it to myself.... GSU isn't very good this year, mediocre at best.

App's offense is going through them like a hot knife through butter, the GSU offense can't run 3 consecutive plays without a penalty.

What a pitiful job so far by GSU... SMFH.

mountaineer in Cane Land
October 26th, 2013, 04:10 PM
surprised, but happy the way App is playing, GS losing their top running back, mid first quarter, is making a huge difference in the game, really surprised at the size of the crowd, and especially the student section, and how they are really into the game, not a better fan base in the FCS!!

straightshooter
October 26th, 2013, 04:15 PM
It has taken me 5 games (the first two were basically exhibitions) to admit it to myself.... GSU isn't very good this year, mediocre at best.

What a pitiful job so far by GSU... SMFH.

Well GSU is currently playing with an available scholarship level equivalent to a DII team, their best player out, and an All-American OT playing but barely able to run after being injured in the first half. Admittedly it looks like the Eagles are going through the motions and App smells blood. Defense has to steip it up in the second half. No excuses since you've got to play with what you've got, but you can count on third, fourth and fifth string players at the FCS level not being as game savvy as the ones and twos who have a lot of game experience.

CropDuster
October 26th, 2013, 04:31 PM
App 24
GS 7

CropDuster
October 26th, 2013, 04:44 PM
App 31
GS 7

7:23 3rd

CropDuster
October 26th, 2013, 04:55 PM
App 31
GS 14

2:23 3rd

CropDuster
October 26th, 2013, 05:00 PM
App 38
GS 14
1:28 3rd

ElCid
October 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Wow, App St is on fire. Have they finally woken up? I am glad they did not play this good against us. I had a feeling they might be up for this game against their future SBC foe.xrotatehx

CropDuster
October 26th, 2013, 05:08 PM
App QB is 24-27 passing.

blueballs
October 26th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Wow, App St is on fire. Have they finally woken up? I am glad they did not play this good against us. I had a feeling they might be up for this game against their future SBC foe.xrotatehx

Give App credit but GSU hasn't stopped anybody from throwing this year. On one hand I'm surprised but I'm really not, GSU simply isn't that good this year.

theasushow
October 26th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Give App credit but GSU hasn't stopped anybody from throwing this year. On one hand I'm surprised but I'm really not, GSU simply isn't that good this year.

Asu is 1-6. They lost to nc a&t.

WataugaDave
October 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM
They lost to nc a&t.
Which would be more acceptable if they were as on-fire as Charleston Southern is.

ASU_Fanatic
October 26th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Huge win!!! Entire team played outstanding

proasu89
October 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM
So who was that at KBS today decked out in the Montana gear?

Eaglesrus
October 26th, 2013, 11:21 PM
When I read about all the offensive stats that ASU compiled against Furman and how much turnovers affected that game I thought we might very well be in trouble. I also thought that The desire to end their home losing streak would be a big motivation for App. I never considered the possibility of it being that ugly, however. Anyway, congratulations to all of you Mountaineers, and now I'm going to try to enjoy a couple of more days in the high country.

eaglewraith
October 27th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Hats off to App State for playing the way they did. We did ourselves no favors, but App looked to be the more physical team out there which is sad for me to say. Thankfully there were no ref issues this time, it was actually one of the best officiated Socon games I can recall seeing in quite a while (couple of calls could have gone either way but overall not bad).

Sucks this rivalry ended the way it did in the FCS for us, but next year is a new chapter, and I hope we get it off on the right foot.

T-Dog
October 27th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Thankfully there were no ref issues this time, it was actually one of the best officiated Socon games I can recall seeing in quite a while (couple of calls could have gone either way but overall not bad).

I thought these officials sucked big time. I'm just glad it wasn't left in their hands. The spots were two yards forward on every play both ways. Cox's unsportsmanlike was ridiculous. I've never seen Satterfield so angry at the officials before as he was early on that terrible spot on GaSo's opening TD drive. McElfresh was also livid and he's never been mad before.

eaglewraith
October 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I thought these officials sucked big time. I'm just glad it wasn't left in their hands. The spots were two yards forward on every play both ways. Cox's unsportsmanlike was ridiculous. I've never seen Satterfield so angry at the officials before as he was early on that terrible spot on GaSo's opening TD drive. McElfresh was also livid and he's never been mad before.

The unsportsmanlike could have gone either way. I think because he was way over in front of the fans was part of the reason. I'm unsure, but was it in front of our fans at all?

I don't think any spot would have changed that first TD drive honestly.

I did have a disagreement with the late hit penalty on one of our DB's, cause he pushed Bryant out of bounds while he was tiptoeing down the line, and really didn't have a chance to stop his motion when Bryant stepped out. I understand the call though.

Other than that it looked like things were fairly even. Nothing I saw was blatantly obvious.

Btw, I could use some of that moonshine, but I think ya'll drank it all up by this point of the season.

Saint3333
October 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM
A spot that would have made it 4th and one on the 25 would have.

the unsportsmanlike call was typical BS from a Mickey Mouse crew.

nice to throw the ball down field and have no turnovers, that is what this team can do when they execute.

paward
October 27th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I would have never thought the score to be what it was. I did think Mountaineers would win only because the Rock always wake up when they play GSU. I was thinking more like a 7 to 6 game.

ThompsonThe
October 28th, 2013, 04:04 AM
I actually started rooting for us not to score more on Georgia Southern. After the year we have had thought it would be bad form to beat them
by 50 or 60.
Any team, like GaSo, that takes their QB and has to make them a RB, deserves some consideration. As much vitriol as some fans say they have
toward the other school, do not believe that we want to hurt them in any way, and root for them when they are playing other schools always.

pike51
October 28th, 2013, 07:00 AM
A spot that would have made it 4th and one on the 25 would have.

the unsportsmanlike call was typical BS from a Mickey Mouse crew.

nice to throw the ball down field and have no turnovers, that is what this team can do when they execute.

While I wouldn't have called it, they didn't call him for celebration, they called him because he said "something" to someone on the GSU sideline. I don't know what it was or who exactly it was directed at, but when he turned, you could see his head bounce as if he said an expletive. He may have even said it to the ref who was right there. Like I said, I don't think I'd have called it from my vantage point, but I wasn't right there on the field.

On another note, I said to everyone from App who told us we'd blow them out that we weren't that good this year and I fully expected App to give a great game. Well, I was right. App flat out beat GSU and left no doubt about it.

I appreciate the 99% of App fans who were friendly and nice during our trip. The John Rocker wanna-be in the "knitted beer hat" (apparently made for him by his grandmother) who decided to walk 10 rows up and get in my face and proceed to curse at me and my wife... he is very lucky he didn't lose his tooth (my wife has a mean right hook). Confrontation wasn't necessary on our part as 2 of his fellow App fans grabbed him and scolded him for his behavior.

Aside from the game, it was a nice weekend. Dinner with T-Dog Friday night and got met several different posters at various tailgates throughout Saturday who were nothing short of gracious with the hot apple cider, ribs, "crack dip", and beer! The burgers at the TApp room were outstanding, our cabin was great, and I loved the cold weather. Looking forward to our next trip to Boone!

Eaglesrus
October 28th, 2013, 07:41 AM
............On another note, I said to everyone from App who told us we'd blow them out that we weren't that good this year and I fully expected App to give a great game. Well, I was right. App flat out beat GSU and left no doubt about it.............

We had a few conversations with App State fans in which we were trying to convince them that though our records didn't indicate it we're struggling as much or more than they are. I assume they believe us now.

Actually met an App State student/Mast General Store employee yesterday who is from Savannah and said that his father still lives on an island that is less than a mile from our house. Anyway, one more day up here, then it's back to the warmth of southeast GA. See y'all in Statesboro next year.

asumike83
October 28th, 2013, 07:50 AM
We had a few conversations with App State fans in which we were trying to convince them that though our records didn't indicate it we're struggling as much or more than they are. I assume they believe us now.

Actually met an App State student/Mast General Store employee yesterday who is from Savannah and said that his father still lives on an island that is less than a mile from our house. Anyway, one more day up here, then it's back to the warmth of southeast GA. See y'all in Statesboro next year.

I meant to touch base with you before the game to have you stop by the tailgate so I could repay last year's hospitality, sorry about that! I know the outcome was disappointing but I hope y'all had a good time otherwise. For a team coming in with a 1-6 record, I thought the atmosphere and fan turnout was pretty solid.

Safe travels, I will definitely be coming down for the game next year.

T-Dog
October 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I appreciate the 99% of App fans who were friendly and nice during our trip. The John Rocker wanna-be in the "knitted beer hat" (apparently made for him by his grandmother) who decided to walk 10 rows up and get in my face and proceed to curse at me and my wife... he is very lucky he didn't lose his tooth (my wife has a mean right hook). Confrontation wasn't necessary on our part as 2 of his fellow App fans grabbed him and scolded him for his behavior.

I know exactly who that is. He actually cultivates the bushes around the A on the hill for free. He loves him some PBR and liquor, not together and not necessarily in that order.

Eaglesrus
October 28th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I meant to touch base with you before the game to have you stop by the tailgate so I could repay last year's hospitality, sorry about that! I know the outcome was disappointing but I hope y'all had a good time otherwise. For a team coming in with a 1-6 record, I thought the atmosphere and fan turnout was pretty solid.

Safe travels, I will definitely be coming down for the game next year.

No problem, but would have enjoyed catching up with you. See you next year, hopefully.

pike51
October 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I know exactly who that is. He actually cultivates the bushes around the A on the hill for free. He loves him some PBR and liquor, not together and not necessarily in that order.

Well, he is a disgrace to the program and the rest of your fans base. Anyone who would curse at a female as he did is the lowest of the low. First time I've personally had an issue up there.

Missed you after the game... we went straight to the restaurant because my nuts were frozen! :)

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 28th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Only Georgia Southern can end App. State's streaks...

1. Home winning streak goes down in 2007
2. SoCon winning streak goes down in 2010.

3. Horrible losing streak goes down in 2013. xflamemadx

Ivytalk
October 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM

Were you at the pregame barbecue at the Sagebrush Restaurant? Looked for you but didn't see you. Met War Wagon for the first time, though!

Eaglesrus
October 28th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Were you at the pregame barbecue at the Sagebrush Restaurant? Looked for you but didn't see you. Met War Wagon for the first time, though!

Nah, sorry we missed you. For reasons unknown to me the group I travel with never seem to be interested in going to that particular barbecue.