PDA

View Full Version : Bohl to Minnesota?

Dakotaguy74
October 19th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Is it just rumor or does it really depend on winning a third championship game? Isn't he a personnal friend of coach Kill?

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Let's see some sources, Mr. 12.

If it's just rumor, keep that on B'ville, not here.

xspankx

clenz
October 19th, 2013, 07:02 AM
I know NDSU fans are convinced Bohl will never ever leave, but the fact is he is going to get done very strong looks and offers

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Laker
October 19th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Haven't heard a word about it around here. I don't think that they are ready to dump Kill quite yet.

Bohl would be a great choice which is why the Goofers probably wouldn't hire him.

Catatonic
October 19th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Haven't heard a word about it around here. I don't think that they are ready to dump Kill quite yet.

Bohl would be a great choice which is why the Goofers probably wouldn't hire him.

historical tidbit: Former Minnesota coach Glenn Mason still holds the record for shortest tenure at the University of Georgia. He was named head coach one day and resigned the next to stay at Kansas or some such place.

Catatonic
October 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I know NDSU fans are convinced Bohl will never ever leave, but the fact is he is going to get done very strong looks and offers

Good coaches get offers. Better to have a coach others want than a coach without options.

FargoBison
October 19th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Bohl might leave, he might stay. If he stays great and that is obviously what I want to happen but if he leaves there will a long line of coaches that will want the job.

Six different coaches at NDSU have won national titles.

MarkyMark
October 19th, 2013, 08:46 AM

??? I think most NDSU fans know Bohl could leave for the right job offer.

On the other hand its become more apparent than ever that turning MN into a Big 10 power is a hopeless cause.

Laker
October 19th, 2013, 08:47 AM
historical tidbit: Former Minnesota coach Glenn Mason still holds the record for shortest tenure at the University of Georgia. He was named head coach one day and resigned the next to stay at Kansas or some such place.

It is odd how Grinnin' Glenn seems to be the best Gopher coach since Lou Holtz. I remember listening to him talk to the Gopher fans before the Sun Bowl. It was quite impressive, especially since he seemed so cold to the media. Maybe if he could have been that way more often he would have lasted longer. Just too many games where they blew the lead- Michigan, Wisconsin and Texas Tech come to mind. Of course, they haven't had a lead to blow in years.

AmsterBison
October 19th, 2013, 08:57 AM

How would you explain the annual threads on Bisonville agonizing about him leaving then? It's kind of like the annual threads in which fans of other teams engage in wishful thinking about Coach Bohl leaving (when I did a web search, one of the first things I found was a thread from 2007 in which University of North Dakota fans speculating about Coach Bohl moving on to the Minnesota job.)

Anyway, Minnesota would be a good fit. He knows the recruiting area and could bring his style of football there. Heck, he even interviewed for the job once before (or at least had a discussion about it with their AD) - afterwards, the Gophers AD said that people in Fargo have no idea how happy Bohl is at NSDU.

If he wants the job, I hope he gets it - but it doesn't depend on him winning a third national championship. And winning at NDSU doesn't depend on a coach - six different coaches have won national titles at NDSU.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 19th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Bohl's age narrows the number of offers that he would take.

He's not as old as Jerry Moore, but after 3 straight national championships no one really went after him.

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I think if Bohl ever leaves NDSU it'll be after this year. He'd have to look hard at Minnesota and I guarantee they'd be interested. Even though their AD Norwood Teague is a basketball guy (came from VCU) he wasn't shy about going after the small school coaches to fill Minnesota's basketball coaching vacancy this spring/summer. I'd have to think he'd be a little more cautious with football since it's not his forte but I think Bohl will be on the radar of almost any FBS coaching vacancy out there this winter other than the huge ones like USC and possibly Texas.

taper
October 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I just don't get these threads. Bohl asked for a long term contract at NDSU last year, he'll probably retire when that's up. He's king of this town, his wife loves it here, his kid goes to another local university, and his $300k+ paycheck goes a loooong ways in Fargo. Everyone has a price, but I can't see anything short of an NFL coordinator post pull him away(which isn't likely). Nebraska alumni hate him and will look for any little mis-step to call him out. Makes no sense at all to go back there. MN is a trainwreck. Good place for a younger coach to try and establish himself as a program maker, Bohl would be taking a big risk trying the same. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Southern Bison
October 19th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm with Taper & FCS_pwns_FBS on this. His age and his family will limit the acceptable offers. He'll be in his early 60s when his contract is up and then there's a 2-yr non-coaching position with NDSU in the contract. That puts him at about 65 and he'll be ready to enjoy grandkids and retirement. Besides, who wouldn't want to be in the FCS record books with NCs galore in a 17-year tenure with a great program? I just don't see him leaving for big bucks to try and rebuild some struggling BCS team when he'd probably only be there for 5-6 years.

Bisonator
October 19th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Gophers are going to beat Northwestern today. Kill is in the coaches booth. This thread is irrelevant. :D

cmaxwellgsu
October 19th, 2013, 04:21 PM

I remember that. He took the job, and his ex-wife let him know the kids would be staying wherever they were. So he resigned the next day. It was a weird deal. Off topic and on a personal note, my dad is from Moultrie, GA and was the same age as Ray Goff. He has a polaroid of them on the same midget football team.

Bisonwinagn
October 19th, 2013, 05:34 PM
The Gophers will not be making any coaching changes for at least 3 years...and if Kill decides to retire Claeys will take over so it's a mute point for at least 5 years.

Houndawg
October 19th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I hope he goes, he took us to school today.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 19th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Bohl isn't going to U of MN

ysubigred
October 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM
NEBRASKA I called Tressel to Ohio State... AND I was called FOS!! BOHL to the Huskers book it!!!!!!!!!!

taper
October 19th, 2013, 07:11 PM
NEBRASKA I called Tressel to Ohio State... AND I was called FOS!! BOHL to the Huskers book it!!!!!!!!!!

How much money you willing to put on this? No chance at all he goes to Nebraska. They can't offer enough money for the amount of abuse the alumni will give him.

ysubigred
October 19th, 2013, 07:18 PM
How much money you willing to put on this? No chance at all he goes to Nebraska. They can't offer enough money for the amount of abuse the alumni will give him.

BUT... that's what they said about Tressel and OSU.. No $$ How about a 4 pack of Kentucky Bourbon barrel ale at next years game xthumbsupx