PDA

View Full Version : Lingering Fans of Defunct I-AA Programs?

bkrownd
October 18th, 2013, 10:50 PM
The recent mention of the long-lost Vermont football program makes me wonder, how many fans of defunct I-AA programs hang around here? (no UMass jokes, please) Four Yankee/A-10 Conference programs were terminated - Vermont, Boston, Northeastern and Hofstra - 3 of which played in Amherst while I was there. Ah, the memories....

DSUrocks07
October 18th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Is Uncle Buck still around? He was a Hofstra guy I think? There was an Iona poster here as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2013, 11:08 PM
I went to a few La Salle games while I was at Temple. My friend went there and a few of his frat brothers were on the team. The Explorers were pretty bad. I remember them playing D3 teams to avoid winless seasons.

I also saw St. Mary's against Lehigh during their final season, 2003.

bkrownd
October 19th, 2013, 01:09 AM
I thought I remembered a St John's poster, but now that I checked I see that they folded in 2002 so that may be too long ago for this forum? xconfusedx My "join date" says 2003.

ETSUfan1
October 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I do. While ETSU has been without football, Ive remained interested in I-AA football even though it sort of seemed like torture at times. It really is difficult reading everyone's passion knowing you have the same type of feelings yet your program was stolen away. At least our administration realized they made a mistake.

blueballs
October 19th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Is Uncle Buck still around? He was a Hofstra guy I think? There was an Iona poster here as well.

IIRC Uncle Buck came to Statesboro when Hofstra played GSU in the playoffs in 2000.

Laker
October 19th, 2013, 07:36 AM
This question makes me think about UN-Omaha fans. They never did play a FCS game but they should have. I know that MSU-Mankato got some of their transfers and now we have a number of players from the Omaha area, especially linemen, that we never would have gotten before.

The Yankee League- I can remember when Vermont dropped football- I think it was after the 1974 season. I couldn't believe that a "flagship" school would drop the sport. Couldn't Ben and Jerry kick in enough to bring it back?

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Drexel xrotatehx

dgtw
October 19th, 2013, 08:17 AM
This question makes me think about UN-Omaha fans. They never did play a FCS game but they should have. I know that MSU-Mankato got some of their transfers and now we have a number of players from the Omaha area, especially linemen, that we never would have gotten before.

The Yankee League- I can remember when Vermont dropped football- I think it was after the 1974 season. I couldn't believe that a "flagship" school would drop the sport. Couldn't Ben and Jerry kick in enough to bring it back?

College Football Data Warehouse doesn't have historical data for the team, just has them listed as discontinued. The Wikipedia page for Vermont athletics doesn't even mention them ever having a football team or even a club team.

They also dropped baseball and softball a few years ago.

Pards Rule
October 19th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Drexel xrotatehx President of Drexel, John Fry, is an 1982 Pard grad!

Pards Rule
October 19th, 2013, 08:20 AM
The recent mention of the long-lost Vermont football program makes me wonder, how many fans of defunct I-AA programs hang around here? (no UMass jokes, please) Four Yankee/A-10 Conference programs were terminated - Vermont, Boston, Northeastern and Hofstra - 3 of which played in Amherst while I was there. Ah, the memories....

Would youir admin reverse the decision and roll back into FCS? I missed our playoff game up in Amherst in 2006 (though watched it on cable) and it was good through 3 quarters until the program differentials finally came home in the 4th.

RichH2
October 19th, 2013, 08:20 AM
I do remember Buck and Iona Gael.They were the last I can remember posting here. Hofstra had a number of posters. There was a N'eastern poster .

Laker
October 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM
College Football Data Warehouse doesn't have historical data for the team, just has them listed as discontinued. The Wikipedia page for Vermont athletics doesn't even mention them ever having a football team or even a club team.

I emailed their athletic department several years ago, asking about football information. They said that they would be adding the historical information "soon". I'm glad that I didn't hold my breath waiting like Francisco Franco on Saturday Night Live.

I also wrote to their club team but he didn't sound very hopeful about the sport ever returning. Pretty sad.

ElCid
October 19th, 2013, 09:10 AM

This site lists the W/L on all(?) dropped teams.

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1aa.htm

Tribal
October 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I know some Hofstra guys who will never forgive their school for dropping football. SBU's success just fans the flames.

CAA's Northeastern also dropped football

melloware13
October 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
I remember Hofstra and N'eastern dropping seemingly within a week during my Freshman year. The mention of Drexel reminded me of a thought I had looking through our historical information, but I don't know where they would even put a field if they thought of bringing it back now.

Southern Bison
October 19th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Let's see...there's darell1976, Sioux, Hambone...xlolx

UAH, how could I resist!

darell1976
October 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Let's see...there's darell1976, Sioux, Hambone...xlolx

UAH, how could I resist!

Haha...what a funny guy.:D

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 19th, 2013, 09:07 PM
I do. While ETSU has been without football, Ive remained interested in I-AA football even though it sort of seemed like torture at times. It really is difficult reading everyone's passion knowing you have the same type of feelings yet your program was stolen away. At least our administration realized they made a mistake.

I agree and with the old administration gone, the new people are leading the way to bring football back from the dead at ETSU. It will be great to be a Buccaneer again.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
October 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Ironically, I saw two guys today at the UNH game wearing Vermont Football baseball caps and they looked like new caps!!

Uncle Buck has become a Stony Brook fan. I plan to see him this weekend when UNH travels to Stony Brook. Husky Alum/NUHF is still active on the CAAZone.

bkrownd
October 20th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Would youir admin reverse the decision and roll back into FCS? I missed our playoff game up in Amherst in 2006 (though watched it on cable) and it was good through 3 quarters until the program differentials finally came home in the 4th. Not a chance. Waiting for the "Big 10" invite. :D

Twentysix
October 20th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Is UMASS an AAU member? That has even more effect on UMass's big ten aspirations than their on field activities lol.

Pards Rule
October 20th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Not a chance. Waiting for the "Big 10" invite. :D

Can we schedule with you folks again?