PDA

View Full Version : Fordham in the NYT

hebmskebm
October 18th, 2013, 10:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/19/sports/ncaafootball/fordham-enjoying-renaissance-on-a-smaller-scale.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1382153923-1T5XgNMCTGS4TNT0MeTWug

Really nice writeup on the recent success. Best line:

The aspiration is to become the next North Dakota State, not Notre Dame. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Two weeks later, a standing-room-only crowd watched Fordham host Lehigh in a game that was broadcast nationally on CBS Sports Network. Big-time football had returned to Fordham.

Awesome piece. xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I'll be interested to see if Fordham can keep it up. This year marked the 10th anniversary of the Rams #9 preseason ranking (Jermaine Pugh still haunts them). The triplets, Eakin, Watson and Dudley, were led by a young energetic coach and the sky was the limit. Clawson bolted and they crashed back to earth...

I think most people thought the Rams were going to be good this year. I had them #18 in our preseason poll. The question is can they keep it up when everyone "catches up"? Their administration has fumbled athletics for years. Also, the facilities still lag behind most in the PL. I like Fordham.... I'm just hesitant to suggest they'll be a consistent Top 25 program. Especially if Moorhead leaves...

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
October 19th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I'd love to head to the Bronx to see the Seawolves play. Schedule a home and home!

RichH2
October 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Full page article in today's NY Post on Nebrich. Fordham Cross matchups will be epic.

Pard4Life
October 19th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Awesome piece. xthumbsupx

They are not referring to Lehigh!!

LUHawker
October 19th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I think Fordham should enjoy this season because I think there are some unique circumstances driving this very good team. First is that you had an FBS coach move to Fordham from UConn and take some key recruits with him; In particular Nebrich. Second, Fordham is 3 years ahead of the rest of the PL in terms of scholarships. Third, Fordham benefited from picking up some key local transfers after Hofstra shuttered its program.

While not exactly the same, it is reminiscent of when Dave Clawson came to Fordham and recruited some key talent by telling them they would get 4 years of playing time. Once that class of players left, as well as Clawson, it was back to mediocrity for the Rams.

Moorhead is a good coach, but I think Fordham is catching lightning in a bottle this year.

bonarae
October 19th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Yes, I hope Fordham can go the distance this year, but in the long run... only time will really tell.

IBleedYellow
October 19th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Oh man, the Lehigh hurt is coming

Fordham, let's see you guys at the top of your league every year. That would be awesome!

RichH2
October 19th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Fordham and Cross very likely to be favorites next year. In a QB driven conference like PL, they will have 2 best returning. Not really Yellow, LU will still be good so we are not likely to complain that other teams are just better. FU at 60 schollies with very good HC,LU at 30 next yr all fr and so. It will take a few years to even out the field.

Professor Chaos
October 19th, 2013, 10:32 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/19/sports/ncaafootball/fordham-enjoying-renaissance-on-a-smaller-scale.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1382153923-1T5XgNMCTGS4TNT0MeTWug

Really nice writeup on the recent success. Best line:

The aspiration is to become the next North Dakota State, not Notre Dame.

:D
Yeah, being the next Notre Dame would be setting your sights kinda low.... :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Fordham and Cross very likely to be favorites next year. In a QB driven conference like PL, they will have 2 best returning. Not really Yellow, LU will still be good so we are not likely to complain that other teams are just better. FU at 60 schollies with very good HC,LU at 30 next yr all fr and so. It will take a few years to even out the field.

Fordham will absolutely be the favorite next year. HC still needs athletes imo.

I don't see any Lehigh fans, or PL fans in general, jealous about the Rams success. In fact, they've received a tremendous amount of support.

Franks Tanks
October 19th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I think Fordham should enjoy this season because I think there are some unique circumstances driving this very good team. First is that you had an FBS coach move to Fordham from UConn and take some key recruits with him; In particular Nebrich. Second, Fordham is 3 years ahead of the rest of the PL in terms of scholarships. Third, Fordham benefited from picking up some key local transfers after Hofstra shuttered its program.

While not exactly the same, it is reminiscent of when Dave Clawson came to Fordham and recruited some key talent by telling them they would get 4 years of playing time. Once that class of players left, as well as Clawson, it was back to mediocrity for the Rams.

Moorhead is a good coach, but I think Fordham is catching lightning in a bottle this year.

With Fordham it is all about the coaching. The facilities aren't great, but NYC is enough of a draw to overcome that for SOME recruits. Certain guys will be turned offf by the Bronx and NYC, but it other cases it allows Fordham to get kids, like the Skelton brothers, to come to Fordham from El Paso. When Fordham can land the right guy they get very good- Clawson and Moorhead-, but can really go in the tank when the miss like with Masella.

FordhamFan
October 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
As long as Moorhead is around, Fordham will be an elite FCS program. Problem is, I think he has one more year tops.

The facilities are absolute garbage. But Moorhead and the staff he has here are a players dream. The staff is young, relatable, but has full control. It's amazing what Moorhead has done in a year and a half, it's a shame he's so good we won't be able to keep him.

But I guarantee that Moorhead is a big time coach in FBS in just a matter of time. That man is the definition of a leader and he knows his ball.

Unbelievable season, I can't wait for the post season (hoping we make it).

RichH2
October 19th, 2013, 03:29 PM
agree on Moorhead. Hate that darn clock. Had it with every coach since Whitehead.Great win today.Enjoy the run.

Vooter
October 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM
As long as Moorhead is around, Fordham will be an elite FCS program. Problem is, I think he has one more year tops.

The facilities are absolute garbage. But Moorhead and the staff he has here are a players dream. The staff is young, relatable, but has full control. It's amazing what Moorhead has done in a year and a half, it's a shame he's so good we won't be able to keep him.

But I guarantee that Moorhead is a big time coach in FBS in just a matter of time. That man is the definition of a leader and he knows his ball.

Unbelievable season, I can't wait for the post season (hoping we make it).

Yup...agree on all counts...

Engineer86
October 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Oh man, the Lehigh hurt is coming

Fordham, let's see you guys at the top of your league every year. That would be awesome!

Too funny, you can't even keep yourself busy with a two time national champ. Must not be much to do out there.

Fordhamanhattan
October 20th, 2013, 02:29 PM
The Fordham guys who complain about the facilities are the whiners who don't go for spit. And they attack in the cover of anonymity becuse their boss at the post office or gas station may scold them. Fordham is a sleeping giant. Has been for generations When it wakes up and takes its chair at the adults table as the class New York school watchout. Podunk towns versus New York... please. If some pantywaist is a afraid of the Bronx I don't want him on my football team. Went WITH A BOOK OUT OF PHILLY ON THE OVER. WILL FINANCE THIS WEEKS TRIP TO KEENLAND.GERARD MEAGHER

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Afraid of the Bronx? xlolx There are places in America many times worse than the Bronx now-a-days. This isn't the 1970s...

danefan
October 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Fordham is a great school with a beautiful campus. They'll never command the attention of the greatest city on earth though. There's only one team in the bronx that matters.

The Rams have shown when he stars align with coaching, they can compete nationally. I really enjoyed the Albany Fordham series. I hope they bring it back next year. It would be great to play Fordham and Colgate every year with an FBS and an NEC/PFL mixed in. It would always make for a good schedule.

LehighU11
October 20th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Afraid of the Bronx? xlolx There are places in America many times worse than the Bronx now-a-days. This isn't the 1970s...

Yeah, like Southside Bethlehem, east of Fillmore St.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 20th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Fordham is a great school with a beautiful campus. They'll never command the attention of the greatest city on earth though. There's only one team in the bronx that matters.

In any other year but this year I would agree with you, but this year's unbelievable course of events - Giants sucking, Yankees out of postseason - Fordham has a tiny opening and it's getting more coverage that other schools only dream if.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 20th, 2013, 06:38 PM
In any other year but this year I would agree with you, but this year's unbelievable course of events - Giants sucking, Yankees out of postseason - Fordham has a tiny opening and it's getting more coverage that other schools only dream if.

The 'Melo free agency drama is about to begin in full force....

Pard4Life
October 20th, 2013, 06:50 PM

One feature article hardly constitutes "coverage." The NYT relegated the result of the Fordham-Yale game to three sentences.

RichH2
October 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
NY Post gave it a full column. Any college coverage of local football in NYC is alot.

aceinthehole
October 21st, 2013, 01:48 PM
From the Hartford Courant

As 0-6 UConn Struggles, 3 Former Huskies Have Fordham At 8-0
http://www.courant.com/sports/football/hc-fordham-football-1022-20131021,0,478227.story

Lehigh Football Nation
October 21st, 2013, 01:57 PM
UConn may be looking for another coach after this season, especially if the interim T.J. Weist can't begin to turn it around soon.
"Me? I am looking forward to playing Bucknell in two weeks," Moorhead said.

This reporter is doing everything in his power to get Moorhead back up to UConn, methinks.