PDA

View Full Version : App St @ 'Nooga

MYTAPPY
October 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
App returns this week to the site of the NC win. Hope the outcome is the same. Armanti will continue to see tougher defenses now that we're in the thick of the SoCon games. UTC is no pushover. I predict an App win though.

psc2445
October 3rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
i know we have had our struggles there against utc, but i feel we are going to exercise those close game demons this week and win soundly, or atleast i hope. I believe our defense will contain buckley this year fairly well, stopping his 100 yd streak

MYTAPPY
October 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
He didn't have to much trouble last year running against us at the Rock. We'll have to clamp down on him much harder this weekend.

atlGAmocs
October 3rd, 2006, 12:33 PM
I think Buck's streak will continue. This not a knock on Appy's defense. Coach Allison has been giving the ball to Buckley almost exclusively. He will get 25 carries against ASU. Saying that it is a given that he will get at least 100 yards barring an injury. I still think my Mocs come out of this with another L :bawling: but I wouldn't be surprised if we win a close one like the GSU game.

Black and Gold Express
October 3rd, 2006, 01:30 PM
The UTC defense is the wildcard here. I know little about them, what are their good and bad points? Edwards has shown enough poise to go through a couple of read progressions and stay in the pocket longer than one would expect him to before tucking it and running. Hopefully last week was Richardson's game to get jumpstarted too, and he's the key to us scoring a lot of points and not becoming one-dimensional. Most of us would like to see Bettis get used more too, but that may be a lost

The loss of your lineman (RT I think?) should hamper Buckley a little, but he's still a stud and if you get him 25+ carries, he'll get his 100 yards easy. The question is can you pass effectively to get us on our heels. I do think we have the top secondary in the SoCon, and Tharrington is proving to be the bookend match we hoped we would find for Murrell.

My "official" prediciton on this is ASU 28-14 winners.

Cap'n Cat
October 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
Noogey 20
Appy 19

walliver
October 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
The TrainBirds won the last time the two teams played in Chattanooga in a passing free for all. I doubt Chattanooga will score that many points again. ASU won't score that many either, but should win by 3 touchdowns.

citdog
October 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM
Chatt 24

Yosef 17

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2006, 03:06 PM
UTC has an opportunity to expose what chinks might exist in the Mountaineer's armour. That defense has yet to be tested by a dangerous offense.

boonedocks
October 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
UTC has an opportunity to expose what chinks might exist in the Mountaineer's armour. That defense has yet to be tested by a dangerous offense.

I would say James Madison can be dangerous, and I think our defense played very well against them.(although i know the dukes say it was bad playcalling):smiley_wi

Black and Gold Express
October 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM
It's going to be a tough game, but UTC losing it's top lineman may really hurt them, especially since its a tackle, and we once again have 2 very good DE's.

Our DT's are probably still the weak spot, but the LB has improved from last year. It will be a good test of them to keep Buckley from gashing us up the middle. If we can be successful in that aspect of defense (which has been shaky for years now), the sky is the limit for this group.

GaSouthern
October 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM
Noogey 20
Appy 19

I wish...

crAppalacian 35
Shattynooga 21

ASU Kep
October 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Wow. I hate to tell you guys, but our defense is BETTER then it was last year...already. UTC certainly has the best offense we've seen since JMU and perhaps NC State (yah, their passing game sucks, but as good as Buckley is, he's not Brown/Baker), but I don't think it will be enough to put enough on the board for a Chatty 'W'.

The much more interesting facet of this game to me is the UTC D vs. our O. Armanti will be starting for the first time against a solid, athletic defense. I predict some early miscues and perhaps an INT or two before we get things together. I don't see a blow-out by any means, but I think ASU wins by 10.

Saint3333
October 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
UTC's defense is comparable to Elon's by the numbers, but I'd say their competition has been stronger.

The area that scares me the most is mistakes by ASU. We are one of the top 20 most-penalized teams, in the top 30 in turnovers lost, and UTC is number 13 in the nation in turnover margin.

The bad news for UTC is that even after all these mistakes ASU is 11 in total offense and number 12 in total defense.

Hold on to the ball boys and ASU wins.

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM

We have tough "Armor" in our D.

"Armour" was something worn by Purple knights in France. xlolx xlolx xlolx :smiley_wi

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
Ralph & B&G

You two need to meet up get drunk together and beat the ever living crap outta one another. In a year you'd be best buds an all remembr whening an stuff. It's old get over each other.xcoffeex :rolleyes: :nod::thumbsup: Damn, it's like a bunch of bickering old church ladies around here.

Mr. C
October 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
It's going to be a tough game, but UTC losing it's top lineman may really hurt them, especially since its a tackle, and we once again have 2 very good DE's.

Our DT's are probably still the weak spot, but the LB has improved from last year. It will be a good test of them to keep Buckley from gashing us up the middle. If we can be successful in that aspect of defense (which has been shaky for years now), the sky is the limit for this group.
Omarr Byrom is one of the top DTs in the SoCon and Daniel Orlebar has come on strong this season as well and has had some strong games. The freshman Williams at DT is a stud in the making. I don't see DT a weakness at all with ASU. I'm sure WCU would take ASU's DTs in a heart beat.

atlGAmocs
October 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I hope this is a decent game. I made the trip to Boone last year and was happy to see my Mocs fight hard and keep it close at the "Rock." Mocs playoff hopes are on the line in this game. I know Buckley will show up, but who else will step up. Michael Johnson had 7 catches for over 100 yards last week. However preseason All SoCon reciever Emmanuel Hassell has displayed a severe case of the dropsies all season. Mocs need another playmaker on offesne to have a chance in this game.

Black and Gold Express
October 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Omarr Byrom is one of the top DTs in the SoCon and Daniel Orlebar has come on strong this season as well and has had some strong games. The freshman Williams at DT is a stud in the making. I don't see DT a weakness at all with ASU. I'm sure WCU would take ASU's DTs in a heart beat.

I am not saying they are bad, but relative to the other parts of our defense (DE, LB, CB, Safeties) DT is the weak spot. To say otherwise is wearing rose-colored glasses IMO.

We have a lot of recent history of getting gashed up the middle by a strong running game the last few years (and NCSU and JMU did it to us this year already), and Buckley is probably the second best back in the conference to Felton. He ripped us last year at home, and I have no doubts he will have another good day this weekend.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I would say James Madison can be dangerous, and I think our defense played very well against them.(although i know the dukes say it was bad playcalling):smiley_wi

Appreciate the consideration. And yes, our playcalling is as predictable as ever. Sometimes we score 50+, other times we don't. Defenses know what they are gonna get when we come to play, it's just a matter or pure execution.

There's no doubt ASU has a great defense. The best way to beat them is to play dumb, looking at your own QB as if you don't know what the hell his signals are, then run a fly route when the ASU CB think the WR is out of that play... :smiley_wi

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Appreciate the consideration. And yes, our playcalling is as predictable as ever. Sometimes we score 50+, other times we don't. Defenses know what they are gonna get when we come to play, it's just a matter or pure execution.

There's no doubt ASU has a great defense. The best way to beat them is to play dumb, looking at your own QB as if you don't know what the hell his signals are, then run a fly route when the ASU CB think the WR is out of that play... :smiley_wi

Was that how the ASU defense got its interception off Rascati??xcoffeex

Mr. C
October 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I am not saying they are bad, but relative to the other parts of our defense (DE, LB, CB, Safeties) DT is the weak spot. To say otherwise is wearing rose-colored glasses IMO.

We have a lot of recent history of getting gashed up the middle by a strong running game the last few years (and NCSU and JMU did it to us this year already), and Buckley is probably the second best back in the conference to Felton. He ripped us last year at home, and I have no doubts he will have another good day this weekend.
Most of James Madison's yardage came on those little swing passes out in the flat to their running back (one of the coaches was sitting next to me and he blamed the CBs for that) and one big play late in the game on a busted coverage. The Dukes only had 153 yards rushing. You take away that 47-yard pass and they only had 149 yards passing (mostly on that little dump off).

I agree with the "relative" part of your post. I just think the DTs have been much improved this season. I rate ASU's defense right up there with Cal Poly and Richmond as the best in I-AA (probably would have to throw in North Dakota State, Portland State, Youngstown State and Illinois State too, funny how most of those teams are ranked in the top 10 ...).

Mr. C
October 4th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Was that how the ASU defense got its interception off Rascati??xcoffeex
No, JMU cried about Pierre Banks "holding" thier receiver on the interception (it was actually a legal chuck at the line).

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM
No, JMU cried about Pierre Banks "holding" thier receiver on the interception (it was actually a legal chuck at the line).

I was just being sarcastic about the "strategy" from a fan of the losing team and with the QB who threw the only interception in the game.
Oh, I forgot, the only reason ASU won was JMU's play calling.:smiley_wi

Black and Gold Express
October 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Most of James Madison's yardage came on those little swing passes out in the flat to their running back (one of the coaches was sitting next to me and he blamed the CBs for that) and one big play late in the game on a busted coverage. The Dukes only had 153 yards rushing. You take away that 47-yard pass and they only had 149 yards passing (mostly on that little dump off).

Where I come from, that's not worthy of being defined as "only", unless we're talking a team that runs it 80% of the time or more. JMU was not such a team. JMU did a lot wrong that day, but they ran the ball pretty well on us.

rb45070
October 7th, 2006, 08:43 AM
I don't think we need to give the ball any to Hennessee. If we can erase the tipped balls as well, I believe we come out ahead by at least 10. I believe Edwards will have another 200/100 game and Richardson will give us a 100+ on the ground. My final score for the game has Appalachian improving to 2-0 in the SoCon by a 35-20 margin.

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Tough one to call here. Both teams scare the bejesus out of me. We've got both of you left on our schedule, and whoever wins today will come out of it with alot of momentum and confidence for the rest of the season ahead (i.e. us). So is it possible for both of you to lose? :smiley_wi

AppGuy04
October 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Tough one to call here. Both teams scare the bejesus out of me. We've got both of you left on our schedule, and whoever wins today will come out of it with alot of momentum and confidence for the rest of the season ahead (i.e. us). So is it possible for both of you to lose? :smiley_wi

Only if you evoke death on both:smiley_wi

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Only if you evoke death on both:smiley_wi
Problem is, whoever loses just ends up all pissed off and ready to start slitting sacks. So no matter what the outcome, it's gonna be high stress in G'ville 'till the 29th. :nod: :rotateh: :nod: Of course, don't confuse that with me not thinking we're gonna :asswhip: . :D

AppGuy04
October 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM
FU TILL YOUR PURPLE!!!!

Sorry, can't resist, it's you're not your

I'm guessing 2 undefeated in conference teams will be playing 10/28/06

PantherRob82
October 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Sorry, can't resist, it's you're not your

i was thinking that as well.

SoCon48
October 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
That "you-you're" thing does get annoying coming from fans who are mostly in college or are already alumni. To top it off, it even comes from ones who are fans of colleges that charges upwards of $20,000 in tuition.
It's basically a 6th grade curriculum item.

AppGuy04
October 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I was just messing with him, calm down guys

I've always been a grammar nazi

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
: retard : Good catch. Man, is my face red.xidiotx I gotta start proofing my posts, I've had that sig for about two weeks and didn't even notice it.:bang: :D Still gonna :asswhip: though. Even it is with really poor grammar.:smiley_wi

Good luck to both teams. Definitely a game I'm gonna have to keep an eye on. I've got a feeling it's going to be a battle royale.

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I was just messing with him, calm down guys

I've always been a grammar nazi

Me too normally. Maybe a little karmic crow for me to munch on. I'll probably be a little nicer to the next bad post I come across. :D

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM
That "you-you're" thing does get annoying coming from fans who are mostly in college or are already alumni. To top it off, it even comes from ones who are fans of colleges that charges ( shouldn't that be charge ? You don't live in a glass house by any chance do you?)upwards of $20,000 in tuition.
It's basically a 6th grade curriculum item.

I guess I'll have to take solace in the fact that most of WCU's alumns couldn't have gotten into Furman if they'd wanted.:smiley_wi

SoCon48
October 7th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I guess I'll have to take solace in the fact that most of WCU's alumns couldn't have gotten into Furman if they'd wanted.:smiley_wi

What's WCU got to do woth this conversation?:confused:

AppGuy04
October 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
What's WCU got to do woth this conversation?:confused:

your blasphemous avatar

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
wcu is currently getting the s--t kicked outta them by elon, btw.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 05:31 PM
14-0 Apps lead.

1st quarter almost over.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
11:08 in the second.

21-0 Apps.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM
245 yards of O for ASU.

57 or so for Chatty.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Good drive from the Mocs, only to end in a missed FG.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Edwards to Jackson 74 yard TD.

28-0 Apps. Less than 5 minutes to go in the second.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Edwards pass to Mayfield down at the Mocs 5.

1:49 left in the 2nd.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM
TD Richardson.

35-0 Apps.

ASU Kep
WOW...I'm listening on the radio downstairs with some friends. 35-0. This is the GSU game last year for me. I think we can go all the way. Armanti has arrived.

Mountaineer
399 yards of O so far.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM
UTC is NOT a bad team. They aren't playing to their best in this one, but I really thought this would be closer.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Halftime. 35-0.

hapapp
October 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Mayfield has 180 yards receiving so far, Edwards has over 200 yards passing, and Richardson has two TDs.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Mocs fumble..Apps recover.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Edwards to Mayfield.

42-0.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Good Lord.

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Oh my God! You guys are killing them.....did not expect it to be this one sided.:confused:

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Oh my God! You guys are killing them.....did not expect it to be this one sided.:confused:

Neither did we...now go take care of CCU! :nod:

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM
The offense is downright blazing right now. I'm amazed.

Of course the D is doing it's thing. :)

thirdgendin
October 7th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Neither did we...now go take care of CCU! :nod:

We need better defensive play to do that. You guys are looking scary good now that Edwards is fully hitting his stride.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 06:48 PM
We need better defensive play to do that. You guys are looking scary good now that Edwards is fully hitting his stride.

October 28th looms larger, and I'm starting to feel really good about it. To be honest, I thought you guys had outplayed us before this week, but this is a damn STATEMENT. We are the team to beat.

Another TD ASU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASU Kep
48-0 asu.

Mountaineer
Richardson.. ~70 TD run.

49-0 Apps.

ASU Kep
49-0.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Can we score 100?

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Mocs on the board!

49-7.

asufan87
TD Chattanooga. They're mounting a comeback! Gonna be a shootout!

ASU Kep
TD Chattanooga. They're mounting a comeback! Gonna be a shootout!

xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Trey Hennessee...designated ASU fumbler...UTC recovers.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM
WHY do we still give him the ball?!?????!???

asufan87
October 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM
TD Chattanooga. Told ya it's gonna be a shootout!

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Elder throws a pick..doh..returned for a TD.

49-14.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 07:06 PM
The question of Elder v. Edwaards has been answered definitively.

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Definitely Kep.

ericappstate
October 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM
56-14

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
TD Apps.

56-14.

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 07:31 PM
October 28th looms larger, and I'm starting to feel really good about it. To be honest, I thought you guys had outplayed us before this week, but this is a damn STATEMENT. We are the team to beat.

Another TD ASU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I gotta give props here. As much as it pains me to say this, I think we are witnessing the birth of a new era in Boone. If this is how Edwards is gonna play, it's going to be a long four years. ****, he is a freshman! :bow::eek: xsmileyclapx

Looks like Gray is out for the game, possibly more. :bawling: :bang: :bawling: :bang: :bawling: :bang: :bawling:

Mountaineer
October 7th, 2006, 07:34 PM
TD Mocs.

56-21.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Wow! I gotta give props here. As much as it pains me to say this, I think we are witnessing the birth of a new era in Boone. If this is how Edwards is gonna play, it's going to be a long four years. ****, he is a freshman! :bow::eek: xsmileyclapx

Looks like Gray is out for the game, possibly more. :bawling: :bang: :bawling: :bang: :bawling: :bang: :bawling:

I hate to see that. Hopefully he'll get back in soon. Hell, I don't want you guys to have any excuses come 10/29. :D

Seriously though, take care of CCU.

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Hey Kep, thanks for the kind words. I gotta tell you, I'm looking forward to Boone. I will tell you right now, without hesitation, whoever win there has a beeline shot at the NC. It'll be their's to lose. May be a little premature, but I believe it.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Kep, thanks for the kind words. I gotta tell you, I'm looking forward to Boone. I will tell you right now, without hesitation, whoever win there has a beeline shot at the NC. It'll be their's to lose. May be a little premature, but I believe it.

No problem, I really do wish him the best (at least for the next 2 weeks). I don't think I've ever looked forward to a football game like I have been looking forward to App/Furman '06. It looks better and better, bigger and bigger every week. I-AA/SOCON Armagedon. :nod: :D

NOW TAKE CARE OF COASTAL!!!!

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 08:25 PM
We're trying, but they are playing a great game. This is our midseason hiccup. I just hop it doesn't end up cost too much. Getting nervous though.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
GIVE IT TO FELTON!!!

Hell, put him in on defense.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
21-21.

thirdgendin
October 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
How did this become a Furman/CCU thread?!

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
How did this become a Furman/CCU thread?!

Because the APP/UTC thread was interesting for only about 2 minutes after kickoff. :nod: :D

BULLDOG8180
October 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
The question of Elder v. Edwaards has been answered definitively.

I am sure Mr. C still has his doubts.

ravens
October 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Because the APP/UTC thread was interesting for only about 2 minutes after kickoff. :nod: :D

which is ok as long as we don't ask any poll questions :D

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Doubt it. Edawrds IMO has fianlly proved himself worthy against decent competition. I know you know Edwards and are personally invested, but I really don't think Mr. C is holding some grudge here. I had my doubts too. This is the first time I can say with 100% certainty that Edwards deserves to be our starter and damn well might lead us back to Chatty.

ASU Kep
October 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM
which is ok as long as we don't ask any poll questions :D

I think they need to be asked after that performance, personally. :nod:

BULLDOG8180
October 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Doubt it. Edawrds IMO has fianlly proved himself worthy against decent competition. I know you know Edwards and are personally invested, but I really don't think Mr. C is holding some grudge here. I had my doubts too. This is the first time I can say with 100% certainty that Edwards deserves to be our starter and damn well might lead us back to Chatty.

It does me good to see that you App fans are finally appreciating the talent that he has.

AppStateSVX
October 7th, 2006, 08:48 PM
what was the final score?

ravens
October 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM
what was the final score?
Appy 56-21

AppStateSVX
October 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
damn

SoCon48
October 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM
The 21 came with most of on 2nd D in.

Block-A
October 7th, 2006, 09:55 PM
<a href="http://www.goasu.com/index.php?page=8">Game recap</a>

"In one of its most dominating performances in recent memory, Appalachian State University jumped out to a 49-0 lead early in the third quarter and never looked back in a 56-21 rout over Chattanooga on Saturday evening at Finley Stadium.

Second-ranked Appalachian (5-1, 2-0 Southern Conference) rolled up 596 yards of total offense, including 399 in the first half alone, en route to taking a 35-0 halftime lead. ASU set a new school record by scoring 40-plus points for the fourth-straight game and racked up 500 yards of offense for the third time in those four outings.

Buoyed by 296 yards on 11-of-12 passing in the first half alone by freshman Armanti Edwards, Appalachian found the end zone on seven of its first eight possessions. Wide receiver William Mayfield had six catches for 180 yards and Kevin Richardson and Dexter Jackson scored two touchdowns apiece in the first half to help ASU to its biggest halftime advantage since it led West Virginia Tech, 45-7, at the half in 2001."

ronpayne
October 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM
... App/Furman '06. ... I-AA/SOCON Armagedon.

I couldn't agree more. I have a feeling we'll break another attendance record that Saturday....!!!

Go Apps!!!!

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I couldn't agree more. I have a feeling we'll break another attendance record that Saturday....!!!

Go Apps!!!!

I hope you're right about that RP. If we play the way we did tonight, you guys will beat the living **** out of us.:bang:

Death Dealer
October 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
You guys are looking better and better. We on the other hand, not looking too good right now. I mean, come on! Elon beat CCU! Ughhhh!

HiHiYikas
October 7th, 2006, 11:11 PM
ASU's defense hasn't given up a meaningful touchdown in over a month now. How do you predict this stuff?

They threw a couple of picks that were run back, gave up a couple of TD's that made it like 42-14.

We've gotten out to starts of 21-3, 35-3, 38-7 (with an INT run back for the TD), and 49-0 against I-AA's this season. I wonder if our 2nd-team D has spent more time on the field than the 1st-line guys yet?

Eldra Buckley - 18 carries, 51 yards.

Kevin Richardson, 101 yards in 10 carries, and 3 TDs. William Mayfield has had 377 yards in 16 catches (about 23.5 per) and 3 TDs in the past 2 weeks.

Tharrington and Murrell are up to 23 Tackles for loss (86 yds lost) on the season. As a team, 52 TFL's, 163 yds lost.

This team continues to impress; I hope they can keep it up. A fall from here would make a lot of noise.

asu70
October 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
App has to stay focused and keep taking the schedule one game at a time.

ASU Kep
October 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Yah, I gotta admit the FU/CCU result definitely takes some uumph outta 10/28. I also have to admit that the SOCON is definitely looking pretty weak this year, although much more competitive. I mean, Furman lost to Coastal. I never thought I'd say that.

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Hey Mr. Cheerleader, you might want to read what somebody writes (like their game story) before you post something dumb. Armanti Edwards had his best performance yet against UTC. One of his incompletions was a bad overthrow, the other was lucky not to be intercepted. But he was on the mark otherwise. He showed very good touch on long balls (something we hadn't seen from him before Saturday. He made a couple of great completions on balls when he was being hit as he threw. That was probably the most impressive thing I saw from him. Chattanooga's strategy was to come with zone blitzes on passing downs and it failed miserably. They don't have the talent to cover man-to-man against a team like App State and on two or three of the big plays, Edwards could have thrown to two, or three different receivers on the play. ASU's wide-outs were truly outstanding in this game, particularly William Mayfield (who may be developing into one of the best WRs in the country) and Dexter Jackson. Jackson only caught one ball, but he was open all night in the secondary. It seemed like Edwards was doing a better job of reading defenses, particularly his decisions in the running game. Reading defenses is something that I think had been a negative in his first three starts. The only criticism I have of him after this game is that he still needs to be willing to stick in the pocket longer and allow pass routes to develop (particularly on third downs), instead of tucking the ball and running.

I think a lot of people close to the App State program thought that Jerry Moore and his staff made some bad decisions in how they handled the Trey Elder-Armanti Edwards switch. A lot of us thought they treated Trey like crap. But that had NOTHING to do with any honest assessment of Armanti Edwards' play.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Hey Mr. Cheerleader, you might want to read what somebody writes (like their game story) before you post something dumb. Armanti Edwards had his best performance yet against UTC. One of his incompletions was a bad overthrow, the other was lucky not to be intercepted. But he was on the mark otherwise. He showed very good touch on long balls (something we hadn't seen from him before Saturday. He made a couple of great completions on balls when he was being hit as he threw. That was probably the most impressive thing I saw from him. Chattanooga's strategy was to come with zone blitzes on passing downs and it failed miserably. They don't have the talent to cover man-to-man against a team like App State and on two or three of the big plays, Edwards could have thrown to two, or three different receivers on the play. ASU's wide-outs were truly outstanding in this game, particularly William Mayfield (who may be developing into one of the best WRs in the country) and Dexter Jackson. Jackson only caught one ball, but he was open all night in the secondary. It seemed like Edwards was doing a better job of reading defenses, particularly his decisions in the running game. Reading defenses is something that I think had been a negative in his first three starts. The only criticism I have of him after this game is that he still needs to be willing to stick in the pocket longer and allow pass routes to develop (particularly on third downs), instead of tucking the ball and running.

I think a lot of people close to the App State program thought that Jerry Moore and his staff made some bad decisions in how they handled the Trey Elder-Armanti Edwards switch. A lot of us thought they treated Trey like crap. But that had NOTHING to do with any honest assessment of Armanti Edwards' play.

I think a lot of people close to the App State program thought that Jerry Moore and his staff made some bad decisions in how they handled the Trey Elder-Armanti Edwards switch. A lot of us thought they treated Trey like crap

And a lot didn't!!!!

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I think a lot of people close to the App State program thought that Jerry Moore and his staff made some bad decisions in how they handled the Trey Elder-Armanti Edwards switch. A lot of us thought they treated Trey like crap

And a lot didn't!!

We all sypathized with Trey, but most or at least a great many, thought Jerry did the right thing and in the right way. Those of us that don't hate on Moore that is.

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM

And a lot didn't!!

We all sypathized with Trey, but most or at least a great many, thought Jerry did the right thing and in the right way. Those of us that don't hate on Moore that is.
When have I ever been in the Jerry Moore hater camp? I can tell the answer to that question is NEVER. I have been honest to give him credit when it is do and criticism when it is necessary. Almost everyone in the ASU media felt like the way the decision was handled was done poorly (I think I know of one person, in their first year covering the program, who thought it was a good decision at the time). Several coaches and others in the program were raising their eyebrows about the way it was done, too. While the decision may ultimately prove to be the right one, in no way, shape, or form, was it handled correctly. And most of the peole I have talked to on the subject share my opinion on that.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 05:39 AM
When have I ever been in the Jerry Moore hater camp? I can tell the answer to that question is NEVER. I have been honest to give him credit when it is do and criticism when it is necessary. Almost everyone in the ASU media felt like the way the decision was handled was done poorly (I think I know of one person, in their first year covering the program, who thought it was a good decision at the time). Several coaches and others in the program were raising their eyebrows about the way it was done, too. While the decision may ultimately prove to be the right one, in no way, shape, or form, was it handled correctly. And most of the peole I have talked to on the subject share my opinion on that.

I totally disagree. You get in your digs on him even in the same articles you acknowledge accomplishments.
As to Trey, we all hated to see a freshmen supplant a junior, but Armanti's fit into this offense was clearly better if he stays injury free.BTW, raising eyebrows in surprise is not the same as disapproval.
And some of us think that his dedision has already been proven correct!!!

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I totally disagree. You get in your digs on him even in the same articles you acknowledge accomplishments.
As to Trey, we all hated to see a freshmen supplant a junior, but Armanti's fit into this offense was clearly better if he stays injury free.BTW, raising eyebrows in surprise is not the same as disapproval.
And some of us think that his dedision has already been proven correct!!!
You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong. Jerry and I have had a mostly pleasant relationship for 14 years now. I guess you missed the comprehensive feature that I wrote on Jerry for High Country Magazine over the summer that most people thought was extremely positive (part of it will be reprised in the soon-to-be published book "Magic On The Mountain"). I also have a good friendship with Chris Moore, Jerry's son. And also, I was never one of those people thinking Jerry should have been pushed out the door. Ralph and a lot of other people can document that fact for you. I have been much more pro-Jerry than negative-Jerry for 14 years.

The raised eyebrows among coaches were not approving. A lot of people thought Jerry was creating chaos where it didn't need to be created. By the way, while Jerry signed off on this decision, my sources told me that this was a move orchestrated by quarterback coach Scott Satterfield. It was Scott's decision and even Jerry confirmed that to members of the media. There is still half a season left for the decision to be evaluated. If App State plays up to its potential, wins the SoCon and advances to the I-AA title game again, it will be looked upon favorably. If the Mountaineers come up short of what is expected, there will be second-guessers (not necessarily saying I will be one of them).

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 08:13 AM
"Jerry and I have had a mostly pleasant relationship for 14 years now."
Jerry has no choice but to have a pleasant relationship with the media. Even ones who wrongly blame him for a player getting hurt.
If the QB coach said make the move, if i were Jerry, I would have examined the situation as he did and likely gone along with the QB coach. Can't expect a QB coach to take the blame for lack of success without having the man in place that he had the most confidence in.

smallcollegefbfan
October 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I believe Armanti Edwards will eventually replace Richie Williams in all the record books. Edwards was getting heavy interest from major schools but early commits for this senior class and depth in place kept him from going. Edwards could be worthy of Payton mention next year if he keeps this up.

I agree that the situation with Trey was handled wrong in the public's eye but I do believe that Edwards should have been implanted as the starter. The reason I say that is that Elder's nerves were getting to him and he was just making mental mistakes that are not characteristic of him. Edwards brings a style that fits that offense perfectly.

I just hate that Furman lost because I thought the game with ASU was going to be a huge game. Now it looks like ASU should win by a couple scores. Of course if we have learned one thing this year, expect the unexpected at all times!

HiHiYikas
October 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM
I believe Armanti Edwards will eventually replace Richie Williams in all the record books. Edwards was getting heavy interest from major schools but early commits for this senior class and depth in place kept him from going. Edwards could be worthy of Payton mention next year if he keeps this up.

I agree that the situation with Trey was handled wrong in the public's eye but I do believe that Edwards should have been implanted as the starter. The reason I say that is that Elder's nerves were getting to him and he was just making mental mistakes that are not characteristic of him. Edwards brings a style that fits that offense perfectly.

I just hate that Furman lost because I thought the game with ASU was going to be a huge game. Now it looks like ASU should win by a couple scores. Of course if we have learned one thing this year, expect the unexpected at all times!
It's been fun keeping up with this...

A freshman at QB?...

Who is this kid?...

He's pretty good...

You can't replace Richie...

He's going to be the next Richie...

He's going to break Richie's records...

I still wonder if he's been tested against good competition. No offense, but I'll start to believe all this talk about "parity" as soon as ASU fails to blow out a "much improved" team.

That said, I thought the same thing about Furman after they wasted WCU. Even teams that typically play on a whole other level have off-days. I have a feeling that Furman will be the same outstanding team through the rest of conference play. And I wouldn't be surprised if ASU has a "hiccup" day like Furman did against CCU.

When/if that "hiccup" day arrives, we'll learn a lot about Edwards from how he handles the loss and moves on. I would think the honeymoon would come to an abrupt end, and the "Why are we playing a freshman QB" crowd might become more restless.

Furman is good at adjusting to losses and near-losses. You'd think the team that lost to WCU and needed 3 OT's to put away El Cid last season wouldn't have given us much grief. Clearly, this wasn't the case.

Even IF Furman were to lose their next two games (Cid and UTC - it's very unlikely), I'd be pretty surprised to see ASU beat a 4-4 Furman team by more than 14.

Kiss My Apps
October 9th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Question... Hindsight being 20/20, what would have been a better way for Coach Moore to handle the situation?

How do you replace a talented QB whom everyone had tabbed as Richie's replacement since his freshman year with a true freshman without ruffling some feathers or someone claiming that Elder got the shaft?

AppGuy04
October 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Question... What would have been a better way for Coach Moore to handle the situation?

How do you replace a talented QB whom everyone had tabbed as Richie's replacement since his freshman year with a true freshman without ruffling some feathers or someone claiming that Elder got the shaft?

I don't think there was any way to handle it without ruffling someone's feathers.

That being said, I think that Trey sorta got a raw deal. The one full game he played was against NC State, so I really don't think they gave him a good chance to keep the job. The NC State defense is very good and they should have expected to struggle.

Mr. C
October 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
"Jerry and I have had a mostly pleasant relationship for 14 years now."
Jerry has no choice but to have a pleasant relationship with the media. Even ones who wrongly blame him for a player getting hurt.
If the QB coach said make the move, if i were Jerry, I would have examined the situation as he did and likely gone along with the QB coach. Can't expect a QB coach to take the blame for lack of success without having the man in place that he had the most confidence in.
If you had ANY clue about coach-media relations, you would know that many coaches choose not to be cooperative with media members. Jerry has the choice to be cooperative, or uncooperative, just like any coach does. Those of us who cover Appalachian State have mostly had cooperative coaches to deal with the past years, but it's not like that at every school. I don't know what your problem is, but if you looked ANY long-term coach-media relationship, you would find times when they don't always agree on things. The only writers who never find things to criticize are basically homers and add zero to their profession, other than to show those of us who are not homers how not to do our jobs. You take one or two things totally out of context and try to create some kind of conflict when it's not there.

SoCon48
October 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM
If you had ANY clue about coach-media relations, you would know that many coaches choose not to be cooperative with media members. Jerry has the choice to be cooperative, or uncooperative, just like any coach does. Those of us who cover Appalachian State have mostly had cooperative coaches to deal with the past years, but it's not like that at every school. I don't know what your problem is, but if you looked ANY long-term coach-media relationship, you would find times when they don't always agree on things. The only writers who never find things to criticize are basically homers and add zero to their profession, other than to show those of us who are not homers how not to do our jobs. You take one or two things totally out of context and try to create some kind of conflict when it's not there.

Believe me, Mr. Grantland Rice, I do have a big clue. I coached for over 20years at various levels and also did much newpaper writing on the local level in the off seasons on the local level.

I truly hate that two ASU grads are having this argument.

My gripe goes back to the articles you wrote blaming Moore for Lynch's injury. I found it disgusting. Left a bad taste in my mouth ever since.
I saw nothing objective nor professional about that piece of................

As to Edwards and Elder. It's over unless Edwards gets hurt or suddenly shows his true capabilities.

PS. I find Steve Behr and Tommy Bowman to be true professionals of a high calibre. You may call them homers. I don't.

Appdad
October 12th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Now that is faint praise as I am sure WCU will take anybody's DL the way they are banged up. :)

Appdad
October 12th, 2006, 08:47 PM
You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong. Jerry and I have had a mostly pleasant relationship for 14 years now. I guess you missed the comprehensive feature that I wrote on Jerry for High Country Magazine over the summer that most people thought was extremely positive (part of it will be reprised in the soon-to-be published book "Magic On The Mountain"). I also have a good friendship with Chris Moore, Jerry's son. And also, I was never one of those people thinking Jerry should have been pushed out the door. Ralph and a lot of other people can document that fact for you. I have been much more pro-Jerry than negative-Jerry for 14 years.

The raised eyebrows among coaches were not approving. A lot of people thought Jerry was creating chaos where it didn't need to be created. By the way, while Jerry signed off on this decision, my sources told me that this was a move orchestrated by quarterback coach Scott Satterfield. It was Scott's decision and even Jerry confirmed that to members of the media. There is still half a season left for the decision to be evaluated. If App State plays up to its potential, wins the SoCon and advances to the I-AA title game again, it will be looked upon favorably. If the Mountaineers come up short of what is expected, there will be second-guessers (not necessarily saying I will be one of them).

BTW when is the book going to be out?