PDA

View Full Version : NEC - Week 6 preview

aceinthehole
October 2nd, 2006, 09:01 PM
Now that the non-conference schedule is done we can concentrate on league play and the road to the the Gridiron Classic (lets keep playoff talk on hold).

St. Francis (PA) @ #23 Central Conn. St. (1:00 pm)
CCSU returns for homecoming after a 4 game road trip that included an upset win at Georgia Southern, a tough battle against in-state rival Southern Conn., a loss to NEC foe Albany, and a 60 point rout of St. Peter's. SFPA has lost 4 straight after its opening day win over St. Peter's. This will be a long day for the Red Flash as CCSU cruises to victory.

Robert Morris @ Wagner (1:00 pm)
Wagner finished non-conference play at 4-0, sweeping games vs. MAAC foes before dropping a close game last week at Sacred Heart. Robert Morris struggled to a 2-2 OOC record, but faced stiffer competition. The Colonials opened up NEC play with a big win at St. Francis and are on a roll. This is possibly the closest game of the week and the hardest to call, but Joe Walton and his RMU Colonials should leave NY this day with a win.

Sacred Heart @ Monmouth (1:00 pm)
Last week SHU knocked off visiting Wagner giving them their first loss of the season, and put the Pioneers 1-0 in NEC play. SHU has played well at times, like opening day vs. Lafayette, but has also dropped a winnable game to Marist. Monmouth opened up 4-0 with wins over Morgan State and 2 PL foes (Fordham and Colgate) before losing to Stony Brook on Saturday. The Hawks are the better team, but must avoid the mistakes that could keep SHU in the game.

Albany @ Stony Brook (2:00 pm)
The NEC game of the week! Two bitter in-state rivals battle for first place in the NEC. Albany is coming off a disapointing loss at Cornell, but has wins at Lehigh ,at then #11 Delaware, and vs. #23 CCSU on its resume. SBU was trounced by UMass and UNH, but played well in its 2 other OOC games vs. Hofstra and Georgetown. Last week the Seawolves opened up conference play with an upset win at previously unbeaten Monmouth. Albany may be the slight favorite, but on the road against a confident foe, anything can happen.

Thoughts, comments?

Go...gate
October 3rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
CCSU needs to win, and win big. That one will get out of hand early. Agree with you on RMU, Monmouth and Albany as well.

aceinthehole
October 5th, 2006, 09:05 AM
By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor (The Sports Network)

JUST THE PICK (home team in caps)

Robert Morris over WAGNER;
MONMOUTH over Sacred Heart;
Albany over STONY BROOK

TOP 25

St. Francis (PA) (1-4, 0-1) at No. 23 Central Conn. State (4-1, 0-1), 1:00

After one week out of the rankings, Central Connecticut State used a big win and losses by five top 25 teams to get right back to the No. 23 position this week. The NEC has posted some good wins and boasts a few quality teams, but the upcoming schedule is still pretty soft for the Blue Devils in comparison to other top 25 teams. They knocked off St. Peter’s, 73-13, last week, and should beat up on a St. Francis team that has struggled in pretty much every area. One of the worst aspects for the Red Flash is rush defense, where they give up 5.3 yards per carry and 171.4 yards per game. That has to make CCSU running back Justise Hairston’s mouth water, as the Blue Devil star has averaged 7.1 yards per carry and 132 yards per game on the ground. Hairston also leads the nation with 190 all-purpose yards per game, and should just add to those numbers against the porous Red Flash defense. Central Connecticut State will cruise to the victory, and hope no one from outside the top 25 scores a big win so it can hold its position.

Prediction: Central Connecticut State 45, St. Francis (PA) 17

Pard4Life
October 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I'll be in attendance at SHU - Monmouth.. should be a good one, just hope it's sunny and chilly :nod:

rmutv
October 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
I'm a bit worried with everyone picking RMU, including me, because they seem to do much better as the underdogs. I just can't get past the week schedule that Wagner has had. They played every team in the MAAC except Duquesne, and the Dukes are the only respectable team in that conference. Sad to say it, but it's the truth. I think it's close, but RMU does indeed win, despite my fear of the jinx.

CCSU rolls easily over SFPA. If the Flash win, it'll be the upset of the year.

I worry about Monmouth...that was a huge let down last week against Stony Brook, a team picked to finish last in the NEC. The Pioneers are a better team than the Seawolves, so this is my upset pick. SHU in OT

Finally, I think Albany is a much better team than Monmouth, so Stony Brook won't get the win against the Danes. Albany is the class of the NEC this year (although I can't wait for November 4th for when the Danes come here to Moon Township).

aceinthehole
October 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM
NEC Update

St. Francis (PA) - 7
Central Conn. St. - 34
HALF

Robert Morris - 7
Wagner - 3
HALF

Sacred Heart - 0
Monmouth - 24
HALF