PDA

View Full Version : Question for Montana fans

penguinonastick
October 2nd, 2006, 08:37 PM
Just wondering how Josh Swogger is doing for the Griz? He is from the Youngstown area and we almost landed him when he transferred. Just wanted to get some thoughts on how he is doing and if he is what you guys expected. Hope is doing well. (Except if we meet in the playoffs :smiley_wi )

GO GUINS
GO BUCKEYES

griz8791
October 2nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Hopefully you'll get more thoughtful analysis from somebody who knows more about the game. He exceeds my own uninformed expectations. Several posters on our board thought he made some key mistakes in the PSU game and didn't put up the numbers they expected from him. I'm inclined to credit PSU's defense for that.

GrizCountry
October 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Swogs is doing great and we're happy he came to the Griz. He's a great guy and was accepted immediately by the team and Griz nation is enthusiastically anticipating watching him for the rest of the season. He's a good leader and his athleticism is awesome. He demonstrated both in the final quarter against Portland State when he scrambled for 43 yards and steamrolled the PSU safety just for good measure. It was on the Griz sideline and effectively took away any momentum from the Vikes. And by the way, the guy has a cannon and against SacSt demonstrated what he is capable of doing with it.:thumbsup: :D

JALMOND
October 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Any doubts I had about Swogger ended on the 45 yard run late in the fourth quarter against us. We were looking to get the ball back, with momentum on our side and enough time to get the go ahead touchdown. Griz 3rd and 20 and we had everyone covered, except for Swogger. He loped (I wouldn't say he ran), zigged and zagged and got the first down with yards to spare.

That is the mark of a great quarterback, in my book.

Proud Griz Man
October 2nd, 2006, 11:21 PM
Swogs is doing great and we're happy he came to the Griz. He's a great guy and was accepted immediately by the team and Griz nation is enthusiastically anticipating watching him for the rest of the season. He's a good leader and his athleticism is awesome. He demonstrated both in the final quarter against Portland State when he scrambled for 43 yards and steamrolled the PSU safety just for good measure. It was on the Griz sideline and effectively took away any momentum from the Vikes. And by the way, the guy has a cannon and against SacSt demonstrated what he is capable of doing with it.:thumbsup: :D

I would urge you to Check out the highlights of the Portland State game, the Sacramento State game, and Iowa game for some clips of Swogs.

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/gallery/xsl/nav.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=gallery_topics&id_subcategory=10099&record_type=SECTION&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=sort_value&-sortorder.1=descend&-sortfield.2=name_section&-sortorder.2=ascend&-token.0=&-token.2=10096&-token.3=10099&-token.5=185&-token.9=3&-max=25&-find

nevadagriz
October 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Swoggs has done great and this Griz fan is glad to have him. My only complaint is the to's in the redzone I think he has had 3or4 in the last 2 games.

mtgrizfan4life
October 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
Swogger's arm alone makes him exciting to watch. Against Sac State he made throws very few qbs can make and had Sac State coach saying he made throws that you see made on Sundays. He has an nfl arm for sure. This weeks game against PSU was not to impressive statistically, but he showed he is a fighter and leader. His long run was something you just had to see. He broke a few tackles and ended it on the sideline playing like a fullback. He sent the DB back 3 to 5 yds when he was hit. It was a statement play. I spilled my drink celebrating the big hit from our QB. The whole team swarmed the sideline to celebrate with him. He was also voted one of the team captains by his teammates, which is rare for a 1st year player. Personally he is a great too. He worked the Montana basketball camps this summer. He was always smiling, polite to everyone, and you could tell he was enjoying the kids every bit as much as they were enjoying him. On and off the field, we are happy to have him as a GRIZ. I will not be surpised if he gets back to the Championship.

Green26
October 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
Swogger is doing very well. His completion percentage is 61.3% in 3 games. He has 5 TD's and 4 interceptions. His passing percentage was better than Drew Tate's at Iowa. He was 14-18, with 3 TD's and a 224.8 qb rating, in his second game against Sac St. He was 16-29 against Portland St.

He broke his pinky on his non-throwing hand in the 3rd quarter against Iowa, missed a game, and has worn what looks like a thick glove on his hand the past 2 games.

He has shown decent mobility for a big guy (6'5", 237--down from 245 at WSU), and had 3 or 4 terrific runs against PSU, including a key 38 yarder in the 4th quarter. This run ended with him putting his shoulder down and bowling over the defensive back, instead of going out of bounds. The play fired up the team, and UM went on for the win.

He has incredible arms strength and can throw any pattern, as well as downfield. He can kneel on the 50 yard line and throw it over the cross bar, at least on occasion.

His interception against Iowa was just a bad pass that was a bit short on the sideline, with a backer making a nice interception. In his second game, late in the first half, he threw a bullet on a shorter post pattern, but either didn't see the safety or thought he could get it past the safety. A lofted pass would have been over the safety's head and a TD. Against PSU, he had 2 interceptions and a fumble, all inside the 10. The first interception looked like a mistake by the receiver who gave up on the route (on 4th and 1) when the corner jammed him, and the corner made a great play. The other interception was a forced pass into the endzone on a scramble, and a poor decision. The fumble came at the end of a longer scramble to the 3, and may have resulted in part because he didn't use his injured hand to cover up the ball at the end of the run.

Overall, he plays with confidence and seems in command. The players and receivers have alot of confidence in him. He's a team captain, voted by the players.

We have high hopes for him. Here's part of a blurb I posted a week or so ago in another thread:

"The opposing coach (Sac St), who used to be an NFL asst coach, said: "He's got a great arm and he's very accurate. He made a couple of throws today into coverage that not many people can make. He didn't exactly have guys wide open, but he made great throws. He's got the talent to be playing on Sundays."

Montana's qb coach says he hasn't been around a qb with as strong an arm as Swogger, since he coached Aikman. The qb coach is Steve Axman, who has previously been the offensive coordinator at UCLA (at 2 differenct times), qb coach at various schools, and head coach of Northern Arizona. Besides Aikman, he's coached Neal O'Donnell, Cody Pickett, Jeff Lewis, Travis Brown and Marques Tuiasosopo. The Griz were very fortunate to get him when a coach retired a few weeks before pre-season practice. Axman did not coach last year and was not planning to coach this year. Axman and our coach, Bobby Hauck, have a prior relationship. I think Hauck worked for Axman at NAU.

A number of NFL scouts have been coming to practice from time time this fall, to watch Swogger, as well as a couple others.

grizbeer
October 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Swogger was a guest on the Bobby Hauck show on Sunday. You can watch it on streaming video if you want to see what he has to say (he mentioned Youngstown's blue collar, tough, bring your lunch pail every day work ethic), as well as highlights from the Portland State game and what Bobby had to say about him. Just click on the play now for the 10/1 Bobby Hauck show.

http://wpe1.montanagrizzlies.com/fmi/xsl/mt_griz/db/gallery/xsl/nav.xsl?-db=mtgriz_content&-lay=gallery_media&id_section=10151&switch=YES&-sortfield.1=sort_value&-sortorder.1=descend&-sortfield.2=file_effective_date&-sortorder.2=descend&-token.0=&-token.2=10096&-token.3=10099&-token.4=10151&-token.5=185&-token.9=4&-max=25&-find

Grizlander
October 15th, 2006, 07:33 AM
I have been waiting to see swogger come out and pile on the points like everyone said he would. I have been waiting to see the Super Swogs many spoke of. I for one think he is a great guy, really nice. As a quarterback, not so great. I have said since spring practice he was not better than Berquist. Sure he can throw the ball. At times he throws the ball, and everyone says WOW! Then the rest of the time he is just average. I have heard all the things about him being hurt and he had a bad ankle from last week,(put Berquist in) and the O line wasn't giving him time. That is 50% of it. The other 50% is, he is a QB that is really good some days and average on others. Many fans at Montana had said he would be the best QB in 1-AA this year. I have to say after seeing him play in person, he is not in the top 10. That's as a QB not as a person. He is a great guy and gives 100% on the field. Just my honest opinion to balance all the suger being piled on. Maybe we can make a run to Chatty with Swogs and maybe we lose in the first round. Depends on which Swogger is on the field.

Havregriz
October 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I have said since spring practice he was not better than Berquist. Sure he can throw the ball. At times he throws the ball, and everyone says WOW! Then the rest of the time he is just average. I have heard all the things about him being hurt and he had a bad ankle from last week,(put Berquist in) and the O line wasn't giving him time. That is 50% of it. The other 50% is, he is a QB that is really good some days and average on others....Maybe we can make a run to Chatty with Swogs and maybe we lose in the first round. Depends on which Swogger is on the field.

You summed up his performance so far this year perfectly. But he does need more time in the pocket. I think if he has another second or two to throw he will light it up. The o-line needs to help him out.

griz37
October 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM
He reminds a lot of a QB we had named Drew Miller. Its nice to have a QB who can put the ball right on the money with some zing. I was very happy to see he can run the w/the ball if necessary, since rumor was he was pretty immobile. A lot of fans are kind of frustrated w/our offense right, but most of that seems to come from our young/inexperienced O-Line not giving Josh time to throw. All in all this Griz fan is very glad to have him in Missoula. :thumbsup:

penguinonastick
October 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the info - maybe we'll see each other in the playoff's and hopefully he'll come back home to play the game:) Good luck the rest of the season.

GO GUINS

PantherRob82
October 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM
After he got hurt early in the season i mentioned tht the Griz may be better with Cole. I got ripped for it. Now all the Griz fans are back to saying he has't looked good since spring practice. xidiotx

mtgrizfan4life
October 15th, 2006, 05:18 PM
As for this Griz fan, it is tough for any qb to perform well when D's are blitzing 7 damn near every play. It is even worse when play calling does not make adjustments to counter the qb pressures.

Tod
October 15th, 2006, 05:47 PM
He reminds a lot of a QB we had named Drew Miller. Its nice to have a QB who can put the ball right on the money with some zing. I was very happy to see he can run the w/the ball if necessary, since rumor was he was pretty immobile. A lot of fans are kind of frustrated w/our offense right, but most of that seems to come from our young/inexperienced O-Line not giving Josh time to throw. All in all this Griz fan is very glad to have him in Missoula. :thumbsup:

What griz37 said! :nod: :nod: :nod:

He's not the best QB out there (not even in the Big Sky), but he is good, and has the talent to win if he has the support. :thumbsup:

griz8791
October 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM
. . . Now all the Griz fans are back to saying he has't looked good since spring practice. xidiotx

Not all of us. For all that's worth.

DaGriz
October 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
After he got hurt early in the season i mentioned tht the Griz may be better with Cole. I got ripped for it. Now all the Griz fans are back to saying he has't looked good since spring practice.

I don't think he hasn't looked good. He's been inconsistent. Some good some bad. I'll take it, we're finding ways to win. Some Griz fans will never be happy unless we win every game by 50, throw for 500 yards every game and win every other national championship. If Cole was the starter he would have his own contingency of bitching fans and people would be calling for Swogger to start. That's the nature of success I guess, extremely high expectations.

Green26
October 15th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I disagree with the several UM fans who are not saying positive things about performance. I've seen the games, and I've talked to the coaches. Swogger is a very good qb, undoubtedly better than the back-up, and will likely be a top I-AA pro prospect.

He has played 5 of our 6 games, but only one half (the first and third quarter) of one game. He was had 1 very good game (in fact, it was outstanding) and the other 4 were good to fine. Besides his passing, he has shown a surprising ability to find a way to win, to pick up the first down, and to make the big play when needed. For example, he found a way to get a key first down on Saturday, after being stopped on a qb sneak. In a prior game, he made some important scrambles, and fired the team up with his firey play.

He has forced a few passes in the redzone; in fact, in the endzone. He didn't do that in the last game.

He has completed 58% of his passes, for 7 TD's and an efficiency rating of 134. He has 6 interceptions, including 3 (I think) in the endzone, and 1 more in the redzone. He can throw the long ball and average 13.7 per completion. He was only 10-22 this past weekend, but he had a better game than Mureitta from NAU, who had 93 yards with a long of 13. Swogger was sacked 5 times by NAU. UM receivers have had some drops in the past 2 games, including of some catchable balls that should have been thrown a bit better. Overall, though, he has shown that he is an accurate passer in all zones.

Protection for Swogger has been a problem, or big problem, at times. UM has given up 22 sacks. Three of the top 10 o-lineman are hurt, including 2 who have started this year. Quinn, the OK transfer, is not yet eligible. UM started 2 frosh, a sophomore, a junior and a senior last weekend. The o-line is big and has very good potential, but overall pass protection needs improvement. Swogger has had 35 runs in 5 games, of which few have been planned runs. This is an indication of the number of times he has been flushed from the pocket. Fortunately, he throws very well from the run and on rollouts.

He is still wearing a glove on his left hand, to protect his broken pinky. It causes him to hand off awkwardly. It also causes him to have some trouble covering up the ball at the end of runs, and opposing teams have pulled on his bad hand in piles at the end of plays.