PDA

View Full Version : List: Largest Stadium In Each State

Uncle Rico's Clan
October 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM
This is an interesting list, the largest stadium in each state. Quite a few FCS stadiums made the list.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/gallery/largest-stadiums-in-every-us-state-100913#photo-title=The+biggest+of+the+big+houses&photo=31929286

Twentysix
October 16th, 2013, 02:23 PM
UNH's stadium is smaller than 13k? Wow.

GAD
October 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM
I believe the one in Mississippi is wrong "the Vet" holds 62K plus

Mattymc727
October 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
UNH's stadium is smaller than 13k? Wow.

I believe it seats 6500. UNH had over 18k show up for homecoming tailgate last saturday, and nowhere to put them. We stayed in the tailgate lawn and partied all day, missed the whole game.

Not sure why they excluded the NASCAR track that seats 100k....But Dartmouth made some nice improvements to their stadium.

Tealblood
October 16th, 2013, 02:45 PM
agreed New Hampshire motor speedway would be biger

bojeta
October 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Sac State has the largest FCS stadium in CA. 21,195. Not the best viewing due to the track. 18437

Sader87
October 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM
4 of the 6 New England states have FCS stadia as their largest, pretty impressive in that it doesn't include Harvard Stadium.

I never would have guessed Vermont's....anyone have an old picture of UVM's old football stadium?

Fitton would rank thusly in Massachusetts:

1. Gillette 69,000
2. Alumni (BC) 44,000
3. Harvard 38 or 39K
4. Fenway about 37K
5. Fitton 23,500

dbackjon
October 16th, 2013, 03:09 PM
I believe it seats 6500. UNH had over 18k show up for homecoming tailgate last saturday, and nowhere to put them. We stayed in the tailgate lawn and partied all day, missed the whole game.

Not sure why they excluded the NASCAR track that seats 100k....But Dartmouth made some nice improvements to their stadium.

They specifically excluded race-tracked, but did note that the Speedway would be #1 if included

Fordham
October 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Is the South Dakota stadium a picture of a miniature model? I think I can see the rotary flip switch that gets the stadium vibrating so the players can move.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 16th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Is the South Dakota stadium a picture of a miniature model? I think I can see the rotary flip switch that gets the stadium vibrating so the players can move.

Yep. That's a model. Didn't even notice it at first

melloware13
October 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I think it's funny the two cases where they note the NASCAR tracks for coming in second (Michigan, Pennsylvania). I think it'd also be interesting to compare state by state venues for specific purposes (separating pro and college divisions up)

ngineer
October 16th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Penn's Franklin Field would be the largest FCS in PA at around 65,000. Of course, when built, Penn was a major power in collegiate football until the scandals of the early 1950's which led to the current situation in the Ivy League.

Gil Dobie
October 16th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Fargodome 19,000 Alerus smaller at 21,000 xlolx

NoDak 4 Ever
October 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Fargodome 19,000 Alerus smaller at 21,000 xlolx

See what they did there? Dumbasses

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I think it's funny the two cases where they note the NASCAR tracks for coming in second (Michigan, Pennsylvania). I think it'd also be interesting to compare state by state venues for specific purposes (separating pro and college divisions up)

MIS was considerably bigger than Michigan Stadium until recently. MIS eliminated about 50k seats...

Pocono's capacity is still significantly larger than Beaver Stadium IF you include the infield. Likewise with MIS and the Big House...

Daytona is suppose to reduce their capacity to 100k seats.

Dover needs to get down to mid-90's capacity, 80k or so....

No_Skill
October 16th, 2013, 06:11 PM

Yep. That's a model. Didn't even notice it at first

I actually think it is a photographic effect.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_faking

Catbooster
October 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I didn't realize how big the race tracks are - Indianapolis Motor Speedway can seat up to 400k!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I didn't realize how big the race tracks are - Indianapolis Motor Speedway can seat up to 400k!

Most of them will be shrinking over the next few years. The demand for NASCAR tickets has dropped to early/mid 90's level or pre-fad era. When it's all said and done, I expect Bristol, Charlotte, Daytona, Richmond, Talladega, Indy and Texas to be the only tracks over 100k.

If UD ever wanted to go to FBS, or Delaware State (literally right across the street from the Monster Mile), they should be able to buy about 40-50k seats from Dover Downs. I attended my first race at Dover in 1990 and there about 60k seats. By 1996 or so there was a 120k.

Yotes
October 16th, 2013, 06:43 PM
You don't want to see the real thing.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM

If that's the case, Kansas Speedway holds 72,000+, 50% bigger than KU Memorial Stadium. Not sure what the methodology was there.

Laker
October 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM

I've been to Coughlin–Alumni Stadium many times- that picture does look bizarre. Here is the photo gallery from their site, but it should be updated from 2007. There is a large replay board in the south end zone and a building (that will be greatly expanded) in the north end zone.

http://www.gojacks.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?ATCLID=925148&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=15000&PALBID=11944

Laker
October 16th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I feel sorry for Alaska and Vermont- no college football at all up North, and only D3 football in Vermont. Bring back Catamount football!

blukeys
October 17th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Most of them will be shrinking over the next few years. The demand for NASCAR tickets has dropped to early/mid 90's level or pre-fad era. When it's all said and done, I expect Bristol, Charlotte, Daytona, Richmond, Talladega, Indy and Texas to be the only tracks over 100k.

If UD ever wanted to go to FBS, or Delaware State (literally right across the street from the Monster Mile), they should be able to buy about 40-50k seats from Dover Downs. I attended my first race at Dover in 1990 and there about 60k seats. By 1996 or so there was a 120k.

Dover Downs will not cut down on the number of seats. Everyone knows there was been a down turn in NASCAR. Most attribute this to the economy and also the constant price escalation that is a NASCAR trademark.

Dover Downs is one of the minority of tracks that is actually located within the corporate limits of a City. If they reduced the number of seats, they would have to go back to the city if they wished to expand again. This would mean starting from go regarding getting permission and permits. It would require 2 public hearings before the City Planning Commission and the City Council respectively.

Like anyplace else there would be some NIMBYISM from people who don't like NASCAR in general and those who don't like the increased local traffic and congestion. No one wants to go thru this.

By the rules of the City Planning Commission, the amount of on site parking and on site camper slots are tied to the number of seats at the track. Again, no one wants to open that potential can of worms.

Dover Downs in fact is still looking to expand its physical presence. They are interested in any neighboring property no matter how small.

It appears that Dover Downs will continue to be the venue for the Firefly music festival. This brought about 30,000 music enthusiasts to the area last year. The concert organizers stated that they love the arrangements as the infrastructure for a 3 day event already exists and the Dover Downs staff already knows how to handle the crowds.

I don't foresee any Woodstock size events in the future but I do see more festival type events being pursued by Dover Downs management.

bkrownd
October 17th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Glad to see the good old Metrodome still getting some love somewhere...everyone wave your Homer Hankies...

jstate83
October 17th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I believe the one in Mississippi is wrong "the Vet" holds 62K plus

JSU's Memorial Stadium was cut back to 60,000 when the locker room endzone seats were taken out during the renovations. Ole Miss Vaught-Hemmingway Stadium is the largest at 63,000 with new additions coming. Memorial is #2 and Mississippi States stadium is #3 at 58,000 with additions coming.

Ole Miss
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4813469822092795&pid=1.7

JSU
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/mississippi/jackson_memorial1.jpg

Mississippi State
http://www.panoramas.com/images/P/MSSU1.jpg

Squealofthepig
October 17th, 2013, 11:15 PM

Well, if we're noting NASCAR, from Indiana:

Note: With aut
o-racing tracks included, this one wouldn't even be close. Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the highest capacity stadium facility in the world, seating 257,000+ around the track and featuring infield seating capacity to raise it up to 400,000.

The fact that that is more than two Michigan Stadiums just boggles my mind, frankly, even before the infield seating.

Twentysix
October 17th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Well, if we're noting NASCAR, from Indiana:

[I]Note: With aut

The fact that that is more than two Michigan Stadiums just boggles my mind, frankly, even before the infield seating.

I once read the info on the bottom of a big house poster at Wal-Mart, that claimed when it was originally built, it was intended to be expanded to 200k.

Walmart poster could be full of **** idk.

Squealofthepig
October 17th, 2013, 11:29 PM
UPDATE: Apologies for knocking the hill, which Montana fans are turning out in droves to point out is actually the 1,958-foot Mount Sentinel. Rock on!

The apology is frankly more insulting than the original. "Mt Sentinel" is a prominent point when viewed from Missoula, but only because it's so close, rising to 5,162 feet or so (Missoula is generally around 3,100 feet). It's also just the western spur of a larger "hill" - University Beacon, to the East (5,806 feet). For context, the highest point visible from Missoula is usually Lolo Peak* (9,096 feet), and you can see the much taller MacDonald Peak in the Missions from several area peaks and trails (9,820 feet).

*Lolo Peak is not visible from Missoula; rather, it is normally masked by a smaller ridge above Carlton Lake (point 8,694); and, regardless, what is normally called Lolo Peak is NOT the high point anyway, as Lolo Peak's highest point is usually denoted as South Lolo Peak (9,143 or 9,139 depending on the map) and is hidden by the northern highpoint virtually everywhere north and east and south until you're nearing the top of Sweeney Peak).

tldr: People are really careless with geography

Squealofthepig
October 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I once read the info on the bottom of a big house poster at Wal-Mart, that claimed when it was originally built, it was intended to be expanded to 200k.

Walmart poster could be full of **** idk.

Not sure - I mean, we're in an area of just weird internet citations here, but the 400k posted is not reflected in the source:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/stadium_list/100000.shtml

Still - 250k people is just hard to wrap my mind around, you know? I think the largest crowd I've been in was attending an OU/Texas game, and that didn't even break 100k.

344Johnson
October 18th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Not sure - I mean, we're in an area of just weird internet citations here, but the 400k posted is not reflected in the source:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/stadium_list/100000.shtml

Still - 250k people is just hard to wrap my mind around, you know? I think the largest crowd I've been in was attending an OU/Texas game, and that didn't even break 100k.

1950-something world cup final had an estimated 200,000 in the Maracana in Rio. That'd have to be the record for a sporting event no?

NHWildcatfan
October 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM
UVM Football Stadium - 1967
15 -20K ?

UVM Football Photos - Part 1
http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football.html

UVM Football Photos - Part 2
http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football_28.html

Twentysix
October 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Wiki agrees with the walmart poster, not sure exactly how much that means anyway lol.

Michigan Stadium - The Big House

The stadium's original capacity was 82,000, but Fielding Yost made certain to install footings that could allow for expansion up to 200,000 seats

When we shot up to Detroit earlier this year we checked it out, its an impressive venue, for sure.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I would say something about Lambeau Field. It is about the most remarkable place I have seen. It is literally in a residential district in Green Bay. There are houses across the street. GB is a lot like Fargo and Lambeau is kind of like the Fargoodome in terms of it's placement but it is enormous.

Contrast it with Ohio Stadium. They use the parking lot on non-game days for regular parking so we were there a lot. It's not that it isn't impressive but Columbus is big enough that it's not much different than anything else around.

Twentysix
October 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Someday I will take in a game at Lambeau. I haven't been to many games in NFL stadiums, only Arrowhead, the Metrodome and Invesco.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Someday I will take in a game at Lambeau. I haven't been to many games in NFL stadiums, only Arrowhead, the Metrodome and Invesco.

I lived there for 2 years and never went into the place. Only drove by. Tough ticket.

Sader87
October 18th, 2013, 10:57 AM
UVM Football Stadium - 1967
15 -20K ?

UVM Football Photos - Part 1
http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football.html

UVM Football Photos - Part 2
http://corey42080.blogspot.com/2012/07/old-university-of-vermont-football_28.html

Thanks for these...just old enough to vaguely remember UVM having a team.....HC never played them in the 60s or 70s though,

dbackjon
October 18th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I lived there for 2 years and never went into the place. Only drove by. Tough ticket.

I stopped in - didn't take the tour, but walked around some. Very nice

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I would say something about Lambeau Field. It is about the most remarkable place I have seen. It is literally in a residential district in Green Bay. There are houses across the street. GB is a lot like Fargo and Lambeau is kind of like the Fargoodome in terms of it's placement but it is enormous.

Contrast it with Ohio Stadium. They use the parking lot on non-game days for regular parking so we were there a lot. It's not that it isn't impressive but Columbus is big enough that it's not much different than anything else around.

Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, NY is like that. The two times I've been there I've parked in peoples yards. It's very much a college like atmosphere! I love it!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Dover Downs will not cut down on the number of seats. Everyone knows there was been a down turn in NASCAR. Most attribute this to the economy and also the constant price escalation that is a NASCAR trademark.

Dover Downs is one of the minority of tracks that is actually located within the corporate limits of a City. If they reduced the number of seats, they would have to go back to the city if they wished to expand again. This would mean starting from go regarding getting permission and permits. It would require 2 public hearings before the City Planning Commission and the City Council respectively.

Like anyplace else there would be some NIMBYISM from people who don't like NASCAR in general and those who don't like the increased local traffic and congestion. No one wants to go thru this.

By the rules of the City Planning Commission, the amount of on site parking and on site camper slots are tied to the number of seats at the track. Again, no one wants to open that potential can of worms.

Dover Downs in fact is still looking to expand its physical presence. They are interested in any neighboring property no matter how small.

It appears that Dover Downs will continue to be the venue for the Firefly music festival. This brought about 30,000 music enthusiasts to the area last year. The concert organizers stated that they love the arrangements as the infrastructure for a 3 day event already exists and the Dover Downs staff already knows how to handle the crowds.

I don't foresee any Woodstock size events in the future but I do see more festival type events being pursued by Dover Downs management.

It's more than the economy imo. A lot more..

If Daytona, Charlotte and Michigan are eliminating seats than Dover certainly should as well. The really only sold all 140k seats for a very brief period; late 90's to the very early 00's. By 2004 or 2005 patches of aluminum began to show up. I went to at least one race a year there from 1990 to 2010.

Bisonator
October 18th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I seriously doubt race tracks are going to be removing seats. Why would they? Remove the seats and just have blank areas outside the track? That makes no sense. I could see putting up bill boards in some areas for revenue but the seats will remain in place. The economy will rebound and people will come back.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 18th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I seriously doubt race tracks are going to be removing seats. Why would they? Remove the seats and just have blank areas outside the track? That makes no sense. I could see putting up bill boards in some areas for revenue but the seats will remain in place. The economy will rebound and people will come back.

They are....Daytona is eliminating 59k seats....

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ron-kantowski/seating-reduction-daytona-reality-check-nascar

MIS has reduced their seating capacity by nearly 50% 50%. 137k in 2006 to 72k next year...

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2013/09/michigan_international_speedwa_38.html

The is fad is over. These people are not coming back. The tracks look like the use to. I like it!!

Bisonator
October 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
They are....Daytona is eliminating 59k seats....

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/ron-kantowski/seating-reduction-daytona-reality-check-nascar

MIS has reduced their seating capacity by nearly 50% 50%. 137k in 2006 to 72k next year...

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2013/09/michigan_international_speedwa_38.html

The is fad is over. These people are not coming back. The tracks look like the use to. I like it!!

That's just plain stupid. Spend a ton of money adding seats, now spend a ton of money removing seats and trust me they will be spending a ton of money adding seats in the future. xeyebrowx

Twentysix
October 18th, 2013, 02:06 PM

Isn't a bad economy beneficial to nascar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDHToD3NmmA&feature=player_detailpage

dgtw
October 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I think a more interesting list would be the smallest college football stadium in each state.

dbackjon
October 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM
I think a more interesting list would be the smallest college football stadium in each state.

That is easy for Arizona: NAU (unless you throw in Community Colleges).

Only three collegiate programs in Arizona, and two are in the Pac-12

dbackjon
October 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Hawai'i - Aloha Stadium (only program in state)
Idaho - Idaho State - Holt Arena
Nevada - Mackey Stadium (U of Nevada)
Wyoming - War Memorial Stadium (only program in state)

bkrownd
October 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM

I used to live across the street from the football field of a small urban college - they played in an astroturfed parking lot(!) with a grandstand much smaller than an average sized high school. http://goo.gl/maps/USosu

darell1976
October 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM
For ND it would be either Mayville St (capacity unknown but enrollment is only 825) or Valley City State (capacity 2500) both teams are NAIA. Dickinson State for DII, and UND for DI.

dbackjon
October 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I used to live across the street from the football field of a small urban college - they played in an astroturfed parking lot(!) with a grandstand much smaller than an average sized high school. http://goo.gl/maps/USosu

That probably wins Minnesota

Grizalltheway
October 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM

That just seems strange for such a populous state. Montana only has a fraction of your population, and we have 7 collegiate programs...

dbackjon
October 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM
That just seems strange for such a populous state. Montana only has a fraction of your population, and we have 7 collegiate programs...

Arizona's population is not spread out. 75% live in Phoenix area - ASU has multiple campuses in the Metro region, but since they are satellites, no sports
Both NAU and Arizona have satellite campuses in other parts of the state, but they act as part of the main campus, so no sports.

Arizona also has only one private college, Grand Canyon, and they don't have football.