PDA

View Full Version : GATEWAY CONFERENCE WEEK 2

pantherclaw
October 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
Okay got some key matchups coming up this weekend.
SIU-WIU while I believe SIU's gonna take this one, how well WIU plays against them could show how much of a real threat WIU is in the Gateway this year
YSU-ISU snooze match. YSU wins huge
UNI-MSU TA's homecoming isn't so "homey" UNI up by 2 touchdowns at least
WKU-IlSU-this is another big match-up, that could go far in determining who wins the Gateway.

Thoughts?

shakdaddy3
October 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
I want to pick WIU in an upset, but I think the Salukis can win in a shootout if they need to... however, I think their D will make some stops, so it won't be like the shootout between WKU and WIU...

YSU over InSU, don't need to say much about that...

Gotta pick UNI.. could get really ugly since UNI will have a chip on their shoulder after last week... oh, and they are just flat out better...

IlSU over WKU... the Redbirds are healthy and rested and looking to get revenge on the Toppers... WKU's D is not nearly as strong as previous years and they are facing a potent Redbird offense... the Redbird's D is very strong. Mr. Haddix needs a great performance to keep the game close or to pull out the win, but my Birds won't let it happen!

Paladin1aa
October 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM
SIU

YSU

UNI

ILS

crunifan
October 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I gotta go with everyone else.

SIU
YSU
UNI
ISU

But, I will say, I think Western Kentucky shouldn't be left out of consideration. They have what it takes to give Illinois State (or any Gateway team) a tough game.

GoGuins
October 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
YSU
WKU (upset)
SIU
UNI

Cap'n Cat
October 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
YSU
WKU (upset)
SIU
UNI

Agreed.

wkukid
October 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
YSU
SIU
UNI
WKU (not an upset)

Hansel
October 2nd, 2006, 01:21 PM
SIU
YSU
MSU
IlSU

GoGuins
October 2nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
YSU
WKU (not an upset)

Maybe not in your eyes, but Ill St will be favored and are the #5 team in the country.

FlyYtown
October 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
SIU
YSU
UNI
ILS-If WKU were to win, it be an upset, no if's ands or but's about it. If you can beat a #5 team and your not ranked, its an upset.

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
SIU

YSU

UNI

ILS

My picks as well.

Cap'n Cat
October 2nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
SIU
YSU
UNI
ILS-If WKU were to win, it be an upset, no if's ands or but's about it. If you can beat a #5 team and your not ranked, its an upset.

Agreed.

FlyYtown
October 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Agreed.

OMG. Mark this date down. Folks Cap'n Cat and myself have agreed!!! I told you Saturday you will see my true side lol...:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Go Penguins!

Cap'n Cat
October 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
OMG. Mark this date down. Folks Cap'n Cat and myself have agreed!!! I told you Saturday you will see my true side lol...:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

Go Penguins!

Good to see. Trust me, I know it when I say, "You can't be an azzhole forever."

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM

Go Penguins!

I saw that and about dropped outta my chair.....

It's like the Hatfields and the McCoy's gettin' married.....

crunifan
October 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
We'll see how long the friendship lasts when UNI visits the Ice Castle in a few weeks. xlolx

FlyYtown
October 2nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
We'll see how long the friendship lasts when UNI visits the Ice Castle in a few weeks. xlolx

What a great game that will be. Gary Powers I think thats his name said on this local sports show on tv that he hopes we sell this game out with like 22,000 people and really show everyone what YSU football is all about. I couldn't agree more. It's homecoming and fireworks night---which means butts in the seats....

In all honesty, I want the win, but a big crowd makes me feel good too!
10 in a row at the Ice Castle!

Hoss8091
October 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
SIU vs WIU - SIU the questions are 1. How good is WIU's offense? and How bad is WIU's defense? If the offense is good and the defense shows up it could be a good game. SIU by 14.

YSU vs ISU - YSU unless the YSU players get food poisioning during the pregame meal or miss the bus. YSU by 21.

UNI vs MSU - UNI UNI must take care of business and not look towards the future. UNI by 10.

IlSU vs WKU - being a Hilltopper it pains me to pick IlSU, and yes, if WKU wins it is a major upset and possibly a turning point in WKU's season. WKU's questions are similar to WIU's. How good is WKU's Offense? and Which defense shows up to play IlSU? My memory is not all that great, but in the past few years IlSU has always WKU tough. (remember WKU has usually been the favorite) Often in these games IlSU have played well enough to win, but some how WKU has found a way to win these games. Hillltopper swagger or just bad luck for IlSU? We will never know. I do know that IlSU will have to get over two hurdles, a WKU homefield and a past history of almost but not quite. My prediction IlSU by 4 or a IlSU blowout.

ISUMatt
October 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
I like...

SIU
YSU
UNI
ILS

skinny_uncle
October 2nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
SIU
YSU
UNI
ILS

Any other outcome in any of these games would shock me. These are the four teams who should be in the race for the title, based on what I've seen so far. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of them playing in Chattanooga at the end of the season.

Saluki_man
October 2nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
My picks with scores:

SIU 24 WIU 14
YSU 35 IN St 21
UNI 21 MSU 10
IL St 27 WKU 17

skinny_uncle
October 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
My picks with scores:

SIU 24 WIU 14
YSU 35 IN St 21
UNI 21 MSU 10
IL St 27 WKU 17
I have trouble seeing WIU with the sixth ranked rushing D in the conference holding SIU to 24 points. Indiana "held" SIU to 35 which is their lowest point total of the year. I doubt if the Leathernecks D improves on that.

Saluki_man
October 2nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
I anticipate WIU will be out for a little revenge. Their defense played decent against us last year. It wouldn't surprise me if SIU hung another 50 or more on WIU considering how much the WKU offence moved the ball.

FlyYtown
October 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
SIU-38
WIU-24

YSU-49 [+ or - 10 points depending on what Heacock Does with the starters in the 2nd half]
ISU-10

UNI-28
MSU-14

Il St-34
WKU-17

siugrad99
October 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Western doesn't score 24 @ SIU

shakdaddy3
October 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Western doesn't score 24 @ SIU
i bet they do....
it may be because SIU's guys are out for the 4th quarter, but they will... my bet, though, is that WIU gives you a better g ame than you expect:twocents:

PantherRob82
October 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
ysu ilsu uni siu not too much of a reach, but it doesn't look like anyone really expects much different.

Saluki_man
October 3rd, 2006, 09:46 PM
After seeing WIU beat the crap out of us for so many years, I guess I will never underestimate how good those guys can be.

birdsflyhigh
October 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Not picking any upsets for week 2 in the Gateway, although a couple games could be real interesting.

SIU-WIU 31-27 Salukis protect their home turf as the Leathernecks play 'em tough

UNI-MSU 38-10 The Pathers keep getting better while Bears continue to struggle

YSU-IN St. 49-14 Sycamores are again outmanned, and the Penguins roll

ISU@WKU 24-21 Redbirds escape Bowling Green with a very important road W over the always-tough Hilltoppers

Both the SIU-WIU and ISU-WKU games should be intense, while the other two games (UNI-MSU and YSU-IN St.) could get pretty ugly. :spank:

siugrad99
October 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
SIU game will not be within 2 TD's. WIU Defense is pathetic and after the last visit to Carbondale (53 point loss) nothing i've seen so far tells me they will be able to stop the running of Randle & Whitlock.

siugrad99
October 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
If they score 24 then the final will be something like 55-24

ysubigred
October 5th, 2006, 11:21 AM
SIU-77 ??
WIU-45 ??

YSU-45 (21 points scored by the "D")
ISU-0

UNI-8
MSU-9

Il St-74 ??
WKU-45 ??

Killtoppers90
October 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Il St-74 ??
WKU-45 ??
What? Are you a comedian now?

PantherRob82
October 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM

My favorite bit was his msu over uni 9-8.

Toppermaniac
October 5th, 2006, 08:40 PM
YSU, UNI, SIU, and I have no idea about the WKU-Ill. St. game. Is our D better than it showed last week or not? We played pretty damn tough on D when we played Georgia, but we were pathetic last week. We can move the ball on offense.

purduecrum
October 6th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Not picking any upsets for week 2 in the Gateway, although a couple games could be real interesting.

SIU-WIU 31-27 Salukis protect their home turf as the Leathernecks play 'em tough

Both the SIU-WIU and ISU-WKU games should be intense, while the other two games (UNI-MSU and YSU-IN St.) could get pretty ugly. :spank:
This is as close to "love" that WIU can get? I think the WIU offense is maturing and some plays just didn't go WIU's way at WKU last week. Can WIU rebound for another road game against a top opponent? Difficult to say, but I am leaning toward a shootout too... If you are betting, take the over...

siugrad99
October 6th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Keep that pipe dream alive you can hang with SIU. You have NO defense & you will not run the ball on our dline. Won't be close and the final will be anywhere between 17-27 points.

birdsflyhigh
October 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Getting a bit testy between the SIU and WIU fans...I like it!! Nothing like Gateway games to boil up some fun rivalries. COOL! :rotateh:

ISUMatt
October 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM
We need some of the folks in this Gateway chat to donate to AGS so we can keep this site the well oiled machine it is. 10 dollars is all I ask of ya!! And bet the chalk this weekend, no major surprises

ysubigred
October 7th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I guess I'll keep my day job. :hurray: The GFC is so upredictable that I couldn't even give a good guess on 2 of the 4 match up's scores but, the high number is my pick to win. 8-9 was for the Cap'n xsmileyclapx

SO ILLmatic
October 7th, 2006, 10:37 AM
SIU
UNI
IL ST - sets up for big time game in Bloomington next Saturday
YSU

PantherRob82
October 7th, 2006, 10:50 AM
what is next week's gateway lineup....UNI-In St....and then? (too lazy to look up, at work) :D

pantherclaw
October 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM
YSU@WIU
SIU@ILS
WKU@MSU
UNI@ISU

ISUMatt
October 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM
SIU
UNI
IL ST - sets up for big time game in Bloomington next Saturday
YSU

Normal, Il actually

birdsflyhigh
October 7th, 2006, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=birdsflyhigh]Not picking any upsets for week 2 in the Gateway, although a couple games could be real interesting.

ISU@WKU 24-21 Redbirds escape Bowling Green with a very important road W over the always-tough Hilltoppers

Both the SIU-WIU and ISU-WKU games should be intense, while the other two games (UNI-MSU and YSU-IN St.) could get pretty ugly. :spank

Man, I was scary close with ALL these scores...how crazy is that...

actually it was
31-24 SIU over WIU
38-7 UNI over MSU
55-17 YSU over IN St.
28-27 ISU over WKU

Got all the winners picked correctly and was real close on all the scores. Who knows? Maybe I'm getting better at this...ha ha :rotateh:

P2TheB
October 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I was just about to post that birdsflyhigh. That was some pretty impressive prognosticating.

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=birdsflyhigh]Not picking any upsets for week 2 in the Gateway, although a couple games could be real interesting.

Both the SIU-WIU and ISU-WKU games should be intense, while the other two games (UNI-MSU and YSU-IN St.) could get pretty ugly. :spank

Man, I was scary close with ALL these scores...how crazy is that...

actually it was
31-24 SIU over WIU
38-7 UNI over MSU
55-17 YSU over IN St.
28-27 ISU over WKU

Got all the winners picked correctly and was real close on all the scores. Who knows? Maybe I'm getting better at this...ha ha :rotateh:
Impressed by your score predictions. I picked all the winners right, but it was not that tough this week. I just picked the 4 ranked teams to beat the 4 unranked teams. Next week should get more interesting.

FlyYtown
October 7th, 2006, 11:12 PM
YSU-WIU next week will be a dandy.. Can't wait to hear your prediction on that one!

skinny_uncle
October 7th, 2006, 11:17 PM
YSU-WIU next week will be a dandy.. Can't wait to hear your prediction on that one!
Along with the SIU@Ill State game.
I think I can pick the winners on the other two right now.
:nod: