PDA

View Full Version : What is the Loudest Stadium in your conference? Whats the loudest in the FCS?

BisonBacker
October 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'm sure this has been covered but what is the loudest registered db level in your stadium/conference? In the MVFC I have to believe the Fargodome is the loudest but I don't have a true official db level if there even is one. I know during the G.Southern game last year it was damned loud and unofficially someone in the stands had a db meter registering in the 110's??? But I'd be interested and wish they would have a meter at the field level where you could get a true reading.

skinny_uncle
October 14th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I would think domes would be louder than open fields just due to the echo.

taper
October 14th, 2013, 09:38 PM
We had a few posts back on Bisonville about measuring sound. Someone measured 122dB with a (relatively) cheap meter in Frisco, I don't believe that. You need professional level equipment to accurately measure stadium noise, your phone or even sub $1000 meters are very inaccurate for this.

I can say that at our last TD vs GSU I could see the flash of the fireworks but couldn't hear them over the crowd. That's pretty close to a gunshot, I believe 110dB+ then.

Skyhawk71
October 14th, 2013, 09:48 PM
OVC- L.P. Field, when the Titans are playing, not when TSU is playing- no, just no on anything else..........If we had 19,000 of me, we would be the loudest most annoying bastards in all of FCS, but alas, there is only one of me and only around 5,000 show up anyway and they suck.....I do have NDSU on my bucket list, I will bring ear plugs.............and I hope to god its never in the playoffs, and my boys never play there

Thundar
October 14th, 2013, 10:00 PM
We had a few posts back on Bisonville about measuring sound. Someone measured 122dB with a (relatively) cheap meter in Frisco, I don't believe that. You need professional level equipment to accurately measure stadium noise, your phone or even sub $1000 meters are very inaccurate for this.

I can say that at our last TD vs GSU I could see the flash of the fireworks but couldn't hear them over the crowd. That's pretty close to a gunshot, I believe 110dB+ then.

from the stands any field is hard to measure. I know a guy that was on the sideline for the first GSU game in the FD and he said he could not hear anything on 3rd downs all stadiums noise is directed toward the field so any big noise makes a difference

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Fargo Dome is the loudest stadium I've been to.

Lafayette is the loudest in the PL imo...

McNeese72
October 14th, 2013, 10:04 PM
From the mid-90's to about 2003, I would say McNeese was the loudest in the SLC. But now a days, I don't know anymore. Our attendance isn't what it used to be.

Doc

taper
October 14th, 2013, 10:07 PM
OVC- L.P. Field, when the Titans are playing, not when TSU is playing- no, just no on anything else..........If we had 19,000 of me, we would be the loudest most annoying bastards in all of FCS, but alas, there is only one of me and only around 5,000 show up anyway and they suck.....I do have NDSU on my bucket list, I will bring ear plugs.............and I hope to god its never in the playoffs, and my boys never play there

Beat TN State this week and you might get a chance this year. The latest TSN bracket has us and TN St on opposite sides of the ladder but that could change.

BisonFan02
October 14th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Outside of the Fargodome, I did catch a game at Kidd Brewer when I lived out east in 2007, and that was pretty loud (was fairly close to field level). I'm planning on making the trip out to Missoula for the Bison's return trip out there, so we shall see how Wa Griz goes...may make a trip out there next season during a Bison bye week if the schedule fits for the trip....hard to say yet.

Grizalltheway
October 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM
If you watch parts of these highlights, you can get a good idea of how loud WGS can get. I thought my eardrums were going to explode being in the student section after Edwards missed on the last play of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knX92v66gg8

Thundar
October 14th, 2013, 10:50 PM
If you watch parts of these highlights, you can get a good idea of how loud WGS can get. I thought my eardrums were going to explode being in the student section after Edwards missed on the last play of the game.

with the open air WG is par with the FD, been to both. if WG had a roof louder but both are loud

MT and NDSU are mirror programs

katstrapper
October 14th, 2013, 11:04 PM
In the Southland, I would say McNeese St when it is packed. it is a tough place to play! It will be loud this weekend.

Ivytalk
October 15th, 2013, 05:56 AM
In the Ivies, Penn was loud when they drew bigger crowds back in the old days. Franklin Field's structure really amplified the noise. Not a fair question nowadays!

ASU_Fanatic
October 15th, 2013, 06:01 AM
App St is loudest in the SoCon
NDSU is the loudest in the nation but they're in a dome so it's a huge advantage. Outdoor stadiums I'd say App or Montana

penguinpower
October 15th, 2013, 06:03 AM
MVFC:
Indoor-NDSU Fargodome
Outdoor- Youngstown State-Ice Castle

eaglewraith
October 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM
NDSU is the loudest in the nation but they're in a dome so it's a huge advantage. Outdoor stadiums I'd say App or Montana

I'd say we're up there too. We were measured at 110dB during the Chatty game, so we can get that loud when we want to, we just don't sustain it all the time.

AshevilleApp2
October 15th, 2013, 06:49 AM

Ya'll never get tired of that highlight film, do you? xlolx

gumby013
October 15th, 2013, 07:42 AM

That was me with the meter. Picked it up for like $70 on Amazon. No idea how accurate it is. The 122 was the max reading for the first quarter. I was in the center of the end zone sections, second row.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/IMG_0742_zps3d0bd693.jpg

That was the loudest it registered for the game. Next loudest was I think from the 3rd quarter.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/IMG_0748_zps14baea68.jpg

bluehenbillk
October 15th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Interesting to hear the KC Chiefs set a record this weekend at 137.5 decibles.

knucklehead
October 15th, 2013, 08:24 AM
It's not saying much, but in the Big South, it has to be Williams Stadium (The Bill) at Liberty. No Contest.

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Ya'll never get tired of that highlight film, do you? xlolx
Nope.:D

IBleedYellow
October 15th, 2013, 08:47 AM
All that I know is whenever I leave the Dome I have a headache and my voice is hoarse from yelling so much.

Totally worth it.

darell1976
October 15th, 2013, 08:48 AM
UND once had a loud dome.

From 2001
http://siouxsports.com/football/stadium.htm

UND's fans have been enthusiastic ever since the Alerus Center opened, but one of the most vocal crowds came in the 2001 NCAA semifinal game against UC Davis. In that game, UC Davis was flagged seven times for illegal procedure among its 12 penalties on the day. After the game, UC Davis players cited the noise level of the Alerus Center crowd as one of the reasons for the penalties.

Cue Archie and Edith Bunker....those were the days.

Franks Tanks
October 15th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Fargo Dome is the loudest stadium I've been to.

Lafayette is the loudest in the PL imo...

As we know, none of the PL stadiums are very loud. I suppose Lafayette is rather loud when we play Lehigh, and Kirby Sports Center helps hold the noise in. Fitton Field at Holy Cross has to potential to be loud- the stands are close to the field, they are steep and the stadium is mostly enclosed, but I don't know if it ever gets very loud.

The only FCS stadium i've been to that was rather loud was Delaware.

straightshooter
October 15th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I'd say we're up there too. We were measured at 110dB during the Chatty game, so we can get that loud when we want to, we just don't sustain it all the time.

With the new upper deck and the new football operations center closing in the East endzone, Paulson will be a lot louder from 2014 forward. 110db is pretty loud.

penguinpower
October 15th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Been to App and YSU and APP are similar. Prior to the stadium expansion at App I would say that YSU had the edge. Not sure about now.

Smitty
October 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Well while the band is playing our stadium is pretty loud, otherwise it is pretty quiet.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 15th, 2013, 09:03 AM
App has good crowds with plenty of people making noise, but it's not just the number of people, it's the acoustics.

I have a hard time believing there is a place in the FCS louder than the NoiseoDome.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM
App has good crowds with plenty of people making noise, but it's not just the number of people, it's the acoustics.

I have a hard time believing there is a place in the FCS louder than the NoiseoDome.

NoiseoDome.....I like that. Trademark that and put it on a shirt.

Actually a few weeks back they revived the "woodchipper" idea. I am warming up to that a lot.

IBleedYellow
October 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM

Where you here the past two Semi games? I've never heard it louder during the game last year when Brock scored that TD to seal it...

I watched the Fireworks go off and didn't HEAR them, like other posters have said, as well.

The best part about the Fargodome that no one ever mentions is how QUITE we get when our team is on offense.

IBleedYellow
October 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXlZMIPyxRI

You can hear the fireworks. Damn.

PS: I REALLY want to go to Wa-Griz in 2015 and meet some of you guys! The problem is that drive is just as far as FRISCO...

PAllen
October 15th, 2013, 09:20 AM
The PL and loud stadiums don't exactly go together. That said, it's either Goodman (only when packed for Lehigh/Lafayette) or Lafayette (for the same game). I haven't been to Lafayette since they redid the place, so it may be louder now, but back in the day, I'd have to say that a packed hous at Goodman was a bit louder at field level.

Loudest place in FCS? Probably a dome somewhere. Loudest place I've been? Franklin Field. The accoustics there are just insane. It's the only place I've seen a home QB take a delay of game penalty because he couldn't get the play called (and that was in front of only a 1/3full house!)

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2013, 09:29 AM

Same deal in Missoula. The way the stadium is dug into the ground and the steepness of the stands serve to hold in a lot of the noise, even though it's open air. Having a big ass mountain right behind it for sound to reverberate off of doesn't hurt, either.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 15th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cheap handheld meters and phones get you in the ball park (+/- 5dB) but if you have to make sure and calibrate them beforehand to even get that close.

I have some gear I paid $550 for and it does 98% of anything that a $1k+ meter does and is just as accurate.

Yes measuring sound on the field will be louder than in the stands because the energy is focused and funneled there, if you are going to get as close to accurate as you can you need to measure from the same field location every time. I can tell you from past experience there are many variables that go into a stadium being loud. Down and distance, temperature, opponent, situation and wind all play factors when dealing with sound level. If you truly wanted to say who is the loudest stadium you would measure/record the entire game and then make an average of the peaks to get it as close as possible.

You can set up a system that will show up on the scoreboard for under $500 for the equipment, (if you want to do it somewhat accurately) or you could just download an app to your computer and use the video output to feed the screen. You would just need a field level mic input to your computer.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 15th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Same deal in Missoula. The way the stadium is dug into the ground and the steepness of the stands serve to hold in a lot of the noise, even though it's open air. Having a big ass mountain right behind it for sound to reverberate off of doesn't hurt, either.

If all the noise is being held in the stadium by the "steepness of the stands" how does the sound ever "reverberate off a big ass mountain"?

xcoffeex

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM
If all the noise is being held in the stadium by the "steepness of the stands" how does the sound ever "reverberate off a big ass mountain"?

xcoffeex

I said a lot of the noise, not all of it, genius. Don't you have an NDSU circle jerk to attend?

pike51
October 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Obviously the correct answer is Chattanooga. Aren't they the correct response for every question? I heard that NDSU pipes in crowd noise from Chattanooga just to enhance the atmosphere in Fargo and crowd noise in Chattanooga has been known to cure cancer in lab animals.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 15th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Thats Thursday and no you still cant come so stop with the PMs

xcoffeex

gotts
October 15th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I was down on the field for last week's NDSU game vs. Missouri St. and it's amazing how much of a volume difference there is on the field vs. 15 rows up in the stands. Defensive 3rd downs seemed to be the ludest from where I was and I doubt that was even anything close to UNI the week before (or the playoffs for that matter).

BisonBacker
October 15th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Cheap handheld meters and phones get you in the ball park (+/- 5dB) but if you have to make sure and calibrate them beforehand to even get that close.

I have some gear I paid $550 for and it does 98% of anything that a $1k+ meter does and is just as accurate.

Yes measuring sound on the field will be louder than in the stands because the energy is focused and funneled there, if you are going to get as close to accurate as you can you need to measure from the same field location every time. I can tell you from past experience there are many variables that go into a stadium being loud. Down and distance, temperature, opponent, situation and wind all play factors when dealing with sound level. If you truly wanted to say who is the loudest stadium you would measure/record the entire game and then make an average of the peaks to get it as close as possible.

You can set up a system that will show up on the scoreboard for under $500 for the equipment, (if you want to do it somewhat accurately) or you could just download an app to your computer and use the video output to feed the screen. You would just need a field level mic input to your computer.

Actually the one he used if you look at their webpage says its accurate to +/- 2db. for what that's worth I don't know but it would also be interesting to see how much difference the levels would be on the field as opposed to what we hear in the stands. As was pointed out by another poster there is a definite difference but how much???

Franks Tanks
October 15th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Also the entire purpose of this thread was for NDSU fans to talk about how loud their stadium is, and shame other fans for not being as loud as them.

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
In the SLC from my experience.. McNeese for the game I went to and then UCA from quarter 2 til halftime. xlolx Especially the student section that sits right behind the visiting team. Acoustically the stadium is lopsided and there are no real barriers to hold the sound waves so Estes stadium will never be a top noise maker.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Actually the one he used if you look at their webpage says its accurate to +/- 2db. for what that's worth I don't know but it would also be interesting to see how much difference the levels would be on the field as opposed to what we hear in the stands. As was pointed out by another poster there is a definite difference but how much???

It was a blanket statement most of the cheaper stuff is +/- 1.5-5db depending on how much you spend.

McNeese75
October 15th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Also the entire purpose of this thread was for NDSU fans to talk about how loud their stadium is, and shame other fans for not being as loud as them.

OH, you noticed that too???? xlolx

BisonFan02
October 15th, 2013, 10:53 AM

Even though I'm a Bison fan, I kinda thought the same thing until I remembered the whole Chiefs noise record thing, and I'm sure that helped prompt it.

Skjellyfetti
October 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM
SoCon stadia:
1. Citadel
2. Chattanooga
3. Furman
4. Western Carolina
5. Elon
6. Wofford
7. Samford

n/a VMI (haven't been, assume they would be toward the bottom)
n/a ETSU (not built, assume it will be toward the top)

@%Appalachian State
@%Georgia Southern

*my rankings somewhat skewed by years I've visited and games I've witnessed

FCS stadia:

tough call between Fargo Dome and Wash-Griz. I haven't been to either (:() but, would have to guess that the Fargo Dome is slightly louder because it's a dome and Washington-Griz is a slightly more difficult place to play because of having to deal with the elements.

pike51
October 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
SoCon stadia:
1. Citadel
2. Chattanooga
3. Furman
4. Western Carolina
5. Elon
6. Wofford
7. Samford

n/a VMI (haven't been, assume they would be toward the bottom)
n/a ETSU (not built, assume it will be toward the top)

@%Appalachian State
@%Georgia Southern

*my rankings somewhat skewed by years I've visited and games I've witnessed

FCS stadia:

tough call between Fargo Dome and Wash-Griz. I haven't been to either (:() but, would have to guess that the Fargo Dome is slightly louder because it's a dome and Washington-Griz is a slightly more difficult place to play because of having to deal with the elements.

Your ranking system is obviously flawed because Chattanooga should always be #1. Please check your data for errors and run again.

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's not saying much, but in the Big South, it has to be Williams Stadium (The Bill) at Liberty. No Contest.

Agree with knuckle here. 7-8,000 students all concentrating their shouts onto the field has proven to be a real bear at times. (It helps that Williams after the phase 1 expansion rocketed to the #1 spot as far as stadium size in the conference)

pike51
October 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Even though I'm a Bison fan, I kinda thought the same thing until I remembered the whole Chiefs noise record thing, and I'm sure that helped prompt it.

Little known fact, the decibel reader used to measure the sound level in Arrowhead was located on the 50 yard line of Finley Stadium.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I still think Delaware has the potential to be really loud like it was back in the day. I think it's now illegal to build a studium with that severe of a pitch.

Fargo to Wash-Griz was a no comparison but I need a larger sample size.

dewey
October 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
The best part about the Fargodome that no one ever mentions is how QUIET we get when our team is on offense.

Very good point. You can easily hear Brock make audibles at the LOS even from my father in laws seats at the 20 about 40 rows up. I always laugh when I am at road games at the home team is cheering when they are on offense.

Dewey

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Very good point. You can easily hear Brock make audibles at the LOS even from my father in laws seats at the 20 about 40 rows up. I always laugh when I am at road games at the home team is cheering when they are on offense.

Dewey

Dont laugh too much because when I came over for the NDSU/Delaware St game there was a guy about 10 rows from the field that was cheering when you guys had the ball and others were joining in. I made a comment to some guys from bisonville who quickly rectified the situation "very politely"

xcoffeex

McNeese72
October 15th, 2013, 11:13 AM
In the SLC from my experience.. McNeese for the game I went to and then UCA from quarter 2 til halftime. xlolx Especially the student section that sits right behind the visiting team. Acoustically the stadium is lopsided and there are no real barriers to hold the sound waves so Estes stadium will never be a top noise maker.

Cowboy Stadium is nicknamed "The Hole" for a reason. The field is way below ground level and half the stands are below ground level so it can somewhat hold sound in.

In my experience it has been louder in the past (a function of attendance) than it has been lately.

I can still remember a game when Youngstown came to town in 1995. The stadium was packed and I was standing by the fence above the south endzone right next to the Cowboy Club building. It was very early in the game and YSU was driving down inside the 10 towards the north endzone. They fumbled right before the goal line and it was caught in the air and returned it 100 yards for a TD. The noise that came out of the stands actually hurt my ears some. After that turnover, the rout was on and we won 31-3

Doc

dewey
October 15th, 2013, 11:16 AM
PS: I REALLY want to go to Wa-Griz in 2015 and meet some of you guys! The problem is that drive is just as far as FRISCO...

You owe it to ourself as being a NDSU fan and a football fan to see a game at Wa Griz stadium. The drive is long but it is a beautiful drive....all 15 hours or so of it from Fargo. I will be there in 2015 with the family and we have talked about making it a long vacation to see Glacier National park and other places. Plus we have family in Missoula so that is always a plus.

Go Bison!

Dewey

BisonBacker
October 15th, 2013, 11:18 AM

What's wrong with asking folks who has the loudest venue in their conference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2013, 11:21 AM
You owe it to ourself as being a NDSU fan and a football fan to see a game at Wa Griz stadium. The drive is long but it is a beautiful drive....all 15 hours or so of it from Fargo. I will be there in 2015 with the family and we have talked about making it a long vacation to see Glacier National park and other places. Plus we have family in Missoula so that is always a plus.

Go Bison!

Dewey

I'd stop at Montana State too. MSU has one of the top game days in FCS. Pretty loud as well..

Sader87
October 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Our crowd is probably much louder in the tailgating sections than inside Fitton.

I think you'd find that universal in the Patriot and Ivy Leagues.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'd stop at Montana State too. MSU has one of the top game days in FCS. Pretty loud as well..

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Thats funny stuff!

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 15th, 2013, 11:31 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Thats funny stuff!

I was pretty shocked myself! The tailgating scene was really good. 20k in that stadium IS LOUD!

HailSzczur
October 15th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Until we replaced the sound system, we used to get a real good, loud, crackling noise everytime they announced the down and distance. Does that count?

BEAR
October 15th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Until we replaced the sound system, we used to get a real good, loud, crackling noise everytime they announced the down and distance. Does that count?

xlolx xlolx FCS= F'up crackling sound systems. xlolx

Go Green
October 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
In the Ivies, Penn was loud when they drew bigger crowds back in the old days. Franklin Field's structure really amplified the noise. Not a fair question nowadays!

I would agree that when it's full, Franklin Field would probably be the loudest in the Ivy.

Given that a FF sellout is probalby never going to happen again, you have to ask where the loudest crowd is in for the 21st Century Ivy League.

A case can be made for Memorial Field.

http://www.vnews.com/sports/8893199-95/10000-dartmouth-fans-cheer-big-green-to-upset-of-yale

What's Harvard Stadium like for The Game these days?

Fordham
October 15th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Definitely Lafayette in PL imo but I've never seen a good crowd at Fitton and think that could challenge if packed and a meaningful game.

Grizalltheway
October 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Problem is they tend to cut their gameday short when things don't go their way...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CKivbF9s5tE/TFO129lDZxI/AAAAAAAACHk/0dD-5dzdeN0/the%20exodus.jpg

UNDBIZ
October 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
UND once had a loud dome.

From 2001
http://siouxsports.com/football/stadium.htm

Cue Archie and Edith Bunker....those were the days.

And then we got Muss'd. xbadx xbawlingx

cbarrier90
October 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GLS_3LhP07I

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2013, 01:46 PM
That was me with the meter. Picked it up for like $70 on Amazon. No idea how accurate it is. The 122 was the max reading for the first quarter. I was in the center of the end zone sections, second row.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/IMG_0742_zps3d0bd693.jpg

That was the loudest it registered for the game. Next loudest was I think from the 3rd quarter.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d156/gumby013/IMG_0748_zps14baea68.jpg

I don't know where the clip is but ESPN had a meter at the UNH playoff game in WaGriz way back that was bouncing up to 124-125 and that was well before the last 4K seats were added. Not trying to be the "topper" because that is freaking excellent right there. It would be cool to see if WaGriz is any louder now or if it's a diminising return thing with the added butts in the seats.

813Jag
October 15th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Mumford Stadium can get loud with the right crowd, but the stands are too far away due to the track.

ASUG8
October 15th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Outdoor stadiums I'd say App or Montana

Having been to both I'll give the edge to the Griz. Having seats all around the field and closer to the field and filled with rabid fans makes for a pretty loud environment.

bojeta
October 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM
We may not have the largest or loudest stadium, but our student section is UP CLOSE and PERSONAL with the visiting sideline, and they get an earful!!

fmrbearkat
October 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I don't know where the clip is but ESPN had a meter at the UNH playoff game in WaGriz way back that was bouncing up to 124-125 and that was well before the last 4K seats were added. Not trying to be the "topper" because that is freaking excellent right there. It would be cool to see if WaGriz is any louder now or if it's a diminising return thing with the added butts in the seats.

They did the same thing in the 2004 playoff game when we played in WaGriz. By far the loudest place I played and its not a close second!

McNeese72
October 15th, 2013, 04:17 PM
We may not have the largest or loudest stadium, but our student section is UP CLOSE and PERSONAL with the visiting sideline, and they get an earful!!

In regards to student sections behind the visiting teams bench, I've been on the sidelines in a lot of places taking pictures. And there are a lot of immature A-holes throwing around cuss words at visiting players thinking they are funny not realizing how stupid it makes them look.

I, for one, am glad that the McNeese student section is situated behind the McNeese bench because I'm sure we would hear a lot of the same ***** from our students. I think it is an age thing.

Doc

catbob
October 15th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Problem is they tend to cut their gameday short when things don't go their way...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_CKivbF9s5tE/TFO129lDZxI/AAAAAAAACHk/0dD-5dzdeN0/the%20exodus.jpg

Weird, this stadium seems fairly empty with time still on the clock (it wasn't any better with 3:07 left to go either). Make sure to watch until the camera guy pans to the left too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYNBDFxy28" target="_blank">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYNBDFxy28 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYNBDFxy28)

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2013, 04:40 PM
They did the same thing in the 2004 playoff game when we played in WaGriz. By far the loudest place I played and its not a close second!

Thanks for the tip of the cap there bearkat. The odd thing is those playoff crowds being smaller (18k-22K) are usually louder than the full load during the season. People seem to put in an extra effort for those.

taper
October 15th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the tip of the cap there bearkat. The odd thing is those playoff crowds being smaller (18k-22K) are usually louder than the full load during the season. People seem to put in an extra effort for those.

Don't know how other schools do it, at NDSU all season ticket holders get a few days after playoff games are announced to re-up, then they're released to general sale. A lot of corporate owners don't buy them, so a bunch of extra die-hard fans can get in. Add in the one-and-done mentality and it's a pretty fun time.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Don't know how other schools do it, at NDSU all season ticket holders get a few days after playoff games are announced to re-up, then they're released to general sale. A lot of corporate owners don't buy them, so a bunch of extra die-hard fans can get in. Add in the one-and-done mentality and it's a pretty fun time.

Yeah that's the same as it's been at UM for quite a while also.

fmrbearkat
October 15th, 2013, 09:19 PM

I was gone before we played in the dome but I bet it was pretty close to the same from a players standpoint. My thoughts are once you get to the level it was at WaGriz ('03 regular season was the same) that it doesn't effect you any more if its louder. As a guard not being able to hear the QB's cadence or any audible without him yelling it in my earhole then what's next? Your already playing deaf! We went on a silent count the whole game. Guards watched the ball and held hands with the tackles and squeezed their hand at the snap. Definitely a major disadvantage.

pike51
October 15th, 2013, 09:48 PM

Could be a scientific explination for this... Less people mean less soft tissue to act as sound deadening material and therefore allow more sound refraction. Now if you get to a point where there aren't enough people to create a loud sound, you start to lose volume... but for each facility, there is a perfect ratio of crazy screaming fans to empty seats that produces the "perfect storm". In this case, the slightly smaller crowds of playoof football may be the correct proportion.

*nerd hat off

HailSzczur
October 15th, 2013, 09:53 PM

We decided to go the route last year too, with the students behind the bench. Only issue is the "student section" doesn't really make noise, other than when someone in the pep band drops a cymbal. The only earful the opposing team gets is a heckling from a handful of us in the first 2 or 3 rows.

IBleedYellow
October 15th, 2013, 10:05 PM
I was gone before we played in the dome but I bet it was pretty close to the same from a players standpoint. My thoughts are once you get to the level it was at WaGriz ('03 regular season was the same) that it doesn't effect you any more if its louder. As a guard not being able to hear the QB's cadence or any audible without him yelling it in my earhole then what's next? Your already playing deaf! We went on a silent count the whole game. Guards watched the ball and held hands with the tackles and squeezed their hand at the snap. Definitely a major disadvantage.

See, I feel there is a difference, as a fan my ears are either ringing, or my ears are ringing and I have a really bad headache during and after. I'd guess that's from either decibels or less...not sure which to be honest.

Difference being between loud and louder, from a fans perspective, not as a player obviously I can't talk about that.

fmrbearkat
October 15th, 2013, 11:01 PM
See, I feel there is a difference, as a fan my ears are either ringing, or my ears are ringing and I have a really bad headache during and after. I'd guess that's from either decibels or less...not sure which to be honest.

Difference being between loud and louder, from a fans perspective, not as a player obviously I can't talk about that.

But is the decible difference between any of the top 10 stadiums going to be that much different? The decible reading from 2004 (don't remember number) was compared to the 7th loudest stadium in Texas A&M's Kyle Field. Again in assuming here as I have no experience with the dome or anything else close to what WaGriz was. We played in front of 50-60k fans that didnt come close.

ngineer
October 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
In the PL, it's either Fisher Field or Goodman, depending on who is hosting The Game. Fisher, with Kirby enclosing the eastern zone may help amplify the noise. Holy Cross COULD be extremely loud with it's high metal and concrete stands, but I haven't been there with a big crowd. Franklin Field would have even greater effect with a good crowd. I know when we played Penn there back in 2003 or so with about 20,000 at night, it was a raucous atmosphere.
I was at Liberty last year, and that was extremely loud and could be the loudest of all outdoor stadiums. Can't compare with any of the domes. Different category.
Of course, another factor is the sound systems and the artificial excitement they engender as opposed to the full throated fans yelling.

Vitojr130
October 16th, 2013, 01:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXlZMIPyxRI

You can hear the fireworks. Damn.

RIP headphones

Sitting Bull
October 16th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Can get loud at Zable for a big game, this when Villanova came in #1 a few years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gJTeQFOe8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Da5gJTeQFOe8

pike51
October 16th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Can get loud at Zable for a big game, this when Villanova came in #1 a few years ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a5gJTeQFOe8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Da5gJTeQFOe8

Who invited the guy who's team doesn't have seats on the visitor side 50?

:)

Tribal
October 16th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Who invited the guy who's team doesn't have seats on the visitor side 50?

:)

Our cow tunnel was installed so your cheerleaders could enter the stadium. It's a Disability Act law so we complied.

pike51
October 16th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Our cow tunnel was installed so your cheerleaders could enter the stadium. It's a Disability Act law so we complied.

Funny. This coming from the guy who's school elected this as homecoming queen:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5265/5631572176_0eca365897_b.jpg

Now... as for our cheerleaders, would that be the same cheerleaders who you had to have your picture with when you came to Statesboro? Or would that be the waitresses you assaulted the night before?

Don't make me start posting pictures... ;)

bojeta
October 16th, 2013, 02:35 PM
In regards to student sections behind the visiting teams bench, I've been on the sidelines in a lot of places taking pictures. And there are a lot of immature A-holes throwing around cuss words at visiting players thinking they are funny not realizing how stupid it makes them look.

I, for one, am glad that the McNeese student section is situated behind the McNeese bench because I'm sure we would hear a lot of the same ***** from our students. I think it is an age thing.

Doc

I agree with you on the "immature A-holes" situation. Unfortunately, from time to time we get some of those as well. I like the enthusiastic, loud, distracting ones, but I'm not into kids being pinheads. I remember in 2008, when Weber State was at our stadium for a playoff game, there was a major A-hole doing his best to make it a drag for both the Weber team, and fans. Fortunately, our Security staff came and took care of the situation. :)

State Line Liquors
October 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Towson.

Tribal
October 16th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Don't make me start posting pictures... ;)

Leave the blond bookends, ripped cheerleader, and tig-o-bitties waitress out of this.

Eagle22
October 16th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Having been to a number of I-AA/FCS stadia on the field/sidelines ... I'd have to go w/ the following order:

NDSU > WaGriz > App > YSU > UD > Georgia Southern and then the rest fall into another category for me.

All of the non-conference games I attended came in the playoffs, so that may have had a potential impact on the noise though all of the venues were filled up at capacity.

NDSU was the only game where I thought I probably permanently altered my hearing ... my WaGriz experience was in 1995, before some of the additions and also occurred during a game where my team was absolutely assaulted, so I'm speculating we didn't get the full experience.

ASU has always been loud, but after their additions and the metal stands it has gotten really loud. I expect the addition of another concrete deck and a massive endzone building underway at Paulson to really close the sound in.

ASU33
October 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM
In the SWAC it would have to be Jackson State or Southern. The Old Cramton Bowl would get rocking down at ASU also.

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Hey Bisonfan02 I heard you were looking for this thread.

Too bad we are all inferior compared to our SWAC brethren.

BisonFan02
June 10th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Unsubstantiated.... Need sources.

superman7515
June 10th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Having been to a number of I-AA/FCS stadia on the field/sidelines ... I'd have to go w/ the following order:

NDSU > WaGriz > App > YSU > UD > Georgia Southern and then the rest fall into another category for me.

All of the non-conference games I attended came in the playoffs, so that may have had a potential impact on the noise though all of the venues were filled up at capacity.

I know this is almost a year old, but I didn't see the original thread... I've been a season ticket holder at UD for quite a few seasons and Delaware is one of the quietest stadiums I've ever been to. The only two stadiums where myself and my group of friends has ever been yelled at by old people to sit down and stop cheering are, ironically, Delaware and Villanova (at Villanova vs Richmond a couple of seasons ago). At least at Villanova the people were behind us, so perhaps they were too old to stand and couldn't see the game. At Delaware, the people were three rows in front of us and just didn't like "the noise". I've found that the closer I get to the front over the years, the quieter the people get. When I was way up top in the corner, it was a lot of people cheering and having a good time without being dumb about it; now I'm in the second row near midfield and the only time the people get off their hands is to take a swig off the flask until they get enough in them to grow a set in the 4th quarter and start talking trash about the visiting teams parents. xrolleyesx

IBleedYellow
June 10th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I know this is almost a year old, but I didn't see the original thread... I've been a season ticket holder at UD for quite a few seasons and Delaware is one of the quietest stadiums I've ever been to. The only two stadiums where myself and my group of friends has ever been yelled at by old people to sit down and stop cheering are, ironically, Delaware and Villanova (at Villanova vs Richmond a couple of seasons ago). At least at Villanova the people were behind us, so perhaps they were too old to stand and couldn't see the game. At Delaware, the people were three rows in front of us and just didn't like "the noise". I've found that the closer I get to the front over the years, the quieter the people get. When I was way up top in the corner, it was a lot of people cheering and having a good time without being dumb about it; now I'm in the second row near midfield and the only time the people get off their hands is to take a swig off the flask until they get enough in them to grow a set in the 4th quarter and start talking trash about the visiting teams parents. xrolleyesx

Damn dude, that sucks. Every aspect of it, actually.

Fan experience is one of the best parts about going to a game, IMO. It's really fun when we go to away games and meet other Bison fans around us that we can cheer with.

Nickels
June 10th, 2014, 08:29 PM
The only two stadiums where myself and my group of friends has ever been yelled at by old people to sit down and stop cheering are, ironically, Delaware and Villanova (at Villanova vs Richmond a couple of seasons ago). At least at Villanova the people were behind us, so perhaps they were too old to stand and couldn't see the game.
Old hens constantly complain about us standing. After they're told we are allowed to stand they then lie and say we're using profanity. This bull**** happens 2/3's of home games. I tried to be cool with them but now I get joy out of pissing them off. I sat next to one chick a few years ago that brought a really young baby and gave me and my group go to hell looks because we were cheering. SMMFH.

superman7515
June 10th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Old hens constantly complain about us standing. After they're told we are allowed to stand they then lie and say we're using profanity. This bull**** happens 2/3's of home games. I tried to be cool with them but now I get joy out of pissing them off. I sat next to one chick a few years ago that brought a really young baby and gave me and my group go to hell looks because we were cheering. SMMFH.

Eh, it's just been my personal experience, I'm sure there are others on both sides of the spectrum. Still, I've been to football games in 2/3 of the country and the only two places I had it happen were right here in the Mid Atlantic, haha. I see how the northeast football experience can get a bad rap.

GetEmGriz
June 11th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I was pretty shocked myself! The tailgating scene was really good. 20k in that stadium IS LOUD!

xlolxxlolx If you think that place is loud, you gotta get out more! xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 11th, 2014, 10:45 AM
xlolxxlolx If you think that place is loud, you gotta get out more! xthumbsupx

I've been to the Fargo Dome and Wash-Griz as well. I think Bobcat Stadium definitely holds its own in terms of noise.

citdog
June 11th, 2014, 10:49 AM
With the departure of the malcontent mountain and south ga clayeating trash. General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium is now the loudest in the Southern Conference.

AmsterBison
June 11th, 2014, 11:00 AM

Welcome to the FargoDome circa 2008. NDSU's coach and AD spent a lot of time on TV and radio getting the message out that standing up and cheering is acceptable. They also had to talk with FargoDome security (FKA Dome Nazis) about their attitudes, but it took a long time, work, and wins to get to the tipping point - UNI game in 2011?

BTW, kind of seems that the more people paid for season tickets, the more likely they are to be sitting down with their arms crossed looking constipated. I feel sorry for them until they try to exert their authoritah to get other people to do the same.

Bisonator
June 11th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the FargoDome circa 2008. NDSU's coach and AD spent a lot of time on TV and radio getting the message out that standing up and cheering is acceptable. They also had to talk with FargoDome security (FKA Dome Nazis) about their attitudes, but it took a long time, work, and wins to get to the tipping point - UNI game in 2011?

BTW, kind of seems that the more people paid for season tickets, the more likely they are to be sitting down with their arms crossed looking constipated. I feel sorry for them until they try to exert their authoritah to get other people to do the same.

I always wonder why those kind of people want to go to a game. They could sit with there arms crossed and mouths shut in front of the tube at home!

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2014, 11:46 AM
These threads are largely post-fillers and speak more to program condition than some degree of fan loyalty.

Put the Griz at 1-10 every year and then see what the response is. (Or, conversely, put Idaho State at 10-1 and tell us what Holt Arena would sound like. )

NoDak 4 Ever
June 11th, 2014, 11:47 AM
These threads are largely post-fillers and speak more to program condition than some degree of fan loyalty.

Put the Griz at 1-10 every year and then see what the response is. (Or, conversely, put Idaho State at 10-1 and tell us what Holt Arena would sound like. )

The best part is they don't. Winners win, losers lose.

DFW HOYA
June 11th, 2014, 11:53 AM
The best part is they don't. Winners win, losers lose.

Only on a level playing field.

SFA 93
June 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Our fans are too far away from the field to make any difference. (Damn track!) And attendance might have something to do with it too. :)

AshevilleApp2
June 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM
With the departure of the malcontent mountain and south ga clayeating trash. General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium is now the loudest in the Southern Conference.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment!

LUSportsFan
June 11th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Our fans are too far away from the field to make any difference. (Damn track!) And attendance might have something to do with it too. :)

Our stadium is set up to trap the noise with the basketball arena at the north end zone and the athletic complex at the south end zone. All we need is a roof to complete the setup. Regrettably, attendance dropped the last couple of years for us also. Hopefully it will pick up when we start running the table on the conference..wish..wish. xlolx

A little off topic, I'm disappointed the conference schedulers are going to have us miss playing the Lumberjacks in conference for the next four seasons. It would be nice to substitute a sub D-1 game with the 'Jacks as an out of conference game during that time.

mmiller_34
June 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I've only been to a handful of MVFC stadiums, so I'll need some help to finish the list...

This is what I've experienced so far in terms of loudness:

1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. SDSU
4. WIU

Other MVFC fans.... fill in the remaining schools where you think they belong. I'm actually a little curious to what other fans perspective on the matter is...

813Jag
June 11th, 2014, 07:09 PM

I know the feeling about the track

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

SFA 93
June 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Looks like we will try harder this season.

THE PURPLE HAZE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nqnyueGYc