PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what to think about Stony Brook?

Nova09
October 14th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Moreover, will we even when the regular season is over? They play 11 games, all DI, and sit at 3-3 right now. Lost to FBS Buffalo in overtime, at Nova big on a day Nova was winless and looking to make a statement, and hosting Towson in a game they led for a while. Their wins are over URI and Colgate (ew) as well as a Bryant team we also don't know what to think of. Bryant will probably win the NEC but that doesn't tell us much.

SBU now hosts UNH, at Maine, hosts Richmond, at JMU, hosts Albany. Massey has them favored 4 out of 5 (Maine is the exception). If they do go 4-1, regardless who the loss is (ok not Albany), they will be 7-4 and I will have absolutely no idea what to think of them.

Professor Chaos
October 14th, 2013, 11:01 AM
If they beat UNH, Richmond, and JMU I think they'll have put themselves into the argument as the 4th team out of the CAA. Depending on whether Delaware can survive their late season gauntlet (at Towson, home against W&M, Richmond, and Nova) going 2-2 it'll either be Stony Brook or Delaware in the playoffs as the 4th CAA team IMO. JMU could be that team as well but they're going to need to beat Stony Brook for that to happen because I think they're going to drop at least 2 more outside of that game.

Sitting Bull
October 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Agree, they seem to be the biggest mystery right now in the CAA.

Although giving them extra credit against a MAC team (Buffalo) right now seems inflated. I think the CAA ended 1-3 against the MAC with all three losses by a couple of points, all on the road. Had the CAA hosted those four games, good chance they would be 4-0 against the MAC with a minimal difference in attendance.

They look mid pack,, about on par with JMU and UR.

Nova09
October 14th, 2013, 11:09 AM
If they beat UNH, Richmond, and JMU I think they'll have put themselves into the argument as the 4th team out of the CAA. Depending on whether Delaware can survive their late season gauntlet (at Towson, home against W&M, Richmond, and Nova) going 2-2 it'll either be Stony Brook or Delaware in the playoffs as the 4th CAA team IMO. JMU could be that team as well but they're going to need to beat Stony Brook for that to happen because I think they're going to drop at least 2 more outside of that game.

Don't overlook W&M, which is the issue with Stony Brook not playing them. Tribe could end up 8-4 with 3 identical losses (Towson, Maine, Nova) and both with a close FBS loss. But W&M plays an extra game, and their FBS loss was a better team. Also I think W&M wins one of Towson/Maine anyway. But then they could turn around and lose to Delaware or JMU, and Delaware is another team SBU doesn't play.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2013, 11:10 AM
They have to go 4-1 against that brutal schedule to give themselves a chance. Beating Maine would help immensely.

State Line Liquors
October 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Professor Chaos is correct. Stony Brook is going to have to be perfect to have a playoff shot. I think the way things shaped up for them this year, particularly only having 11 games, it's a tremendous challenge to think of what will need to happen to get into the playoffs.

The CAA, if they get 4 teams (which is probable in my opinion), the 4th will come somewhere from the trio of JMU, WM & Delaware. I think WM and JMU look a bit more capable of capitalizing on the opportunity at the moment. Maine, Towson & Nova are the 3. Nova has a difficult row to hoe, but I think they showed they're capable this past weekend.

Lot's of important football to be played, but I think SBU in all likelihood is cooked. The hole is probably too deep to climb out of.

Sader87
October 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
There's something fundamentally wrong with leagues that don't play everyone else in that league imo. It just doesn't seem right.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Professor Chaos is correct. Stony Brook is going to have to be perfect to have a playoff shot. I think the way things shaped up for them this year, particularly only having 11 games, it's a tremendous challenge to think of what will need to happen to get into the playoffs.

The CAA, if they get 4 teams (which is probable in my opinion), the 4th will come somewhere from the trio of JMU, WM & Delaware. I think WM and JMU look a bit more capable of capitalizing on the opportunity at the moment. Maine, Towson & Nova are the 3. Nova has a difficult row to hoe, but I think they showed they're capable this past weekend.

Lot's of important football to be played, but I think SBU in all likelihood is cooked. The hole is probably too deep to climb out of.

You forgot New Hampshire, who has a brutal schedule but if they go 5-1 with wins over a 4-5 teams of (take your pick), Villanova, Maine, SBU, W&M, JMU, that's a slam-dunk in-the-playoffs stretch.

danefan
October 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Stony Brook without Coker isn't really a playoff team, IMO.

If they win out they'll go, but I just don't see it happening.

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2013, 11:26 AM
There's something fundamentally wrong with leagues that don't play everyone else in that league imo. It just doesn't seem right.

When you have eleven teams in a league there's no other way. Have to have a few OOC games. Big Sky doing it now as well and they have 13 teams so no way they can all play each other.

State Line Liquors
October 14th, 2013, 11:47 AM
You forgot New Hampshire, who has a brutal schedule but if they go 5-1 with wins over a 4-5 teams of (take your pick), Villanova, Maine, SBU, W&M, JMU, that's a slam-dunk in-the-playoffs stretch.

I didn't forget them, I just removed them from the conversation because of the predicament they're in. Actually quite similar to SBU. They can't (yes, opinion) get the number of wins they need now with the schedule they have remaining. You guys actually put one of those nails in that coffin.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I didn't forget them, I just removed them from the conversation because of the predicament they're in. Actually quite similar to SBU. They can't (yes, opinion) get the number of wins they need now with the schedule they have remaining. You guys actually put one of those nails in that coffin.

Fair point. FWIW SBU/UNH looks to me like a playoff survival bowl to me, if UNH somehow beats Villanova.

And I'm just assuming that the Wildcats will lose to W&M xlolx

CFBfan
October 14th, 2013, 12:20 PM
they have a decent D and a below average O

State Line Liquors
October 14th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Fair point. FWIW SBU/UNH looks to me like a playoff survival bowl to me, if UNH somehow beats Villanova.

And I'm just assuming that the Wildcats will lose to W&M xlolx

The SBU/UNH game might be a death match, but they've got their paws pretty full this weekend with those other wildcats. Nova looks to have turned things around, but if they lose up there this weekend they'll have their own problems in the weeks ahead.

Thing are about to get real nasty in the CAA schedule. I think it's a 4 bid league, but I just wonder whether or not be'll all bludgeon ourselves to death.

CFBfan
October 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM

+ 1

DoubleH
October 14th, 2013, 04:23 PM
My take on SBU, a team I've seen a few times:

D: Solid, above-average defense. Fundamentally sound, good tacklers but lacking those 1 or 2 true elite playmakers a great D usually has. I think their secondary is the best unit on the D.

O: Physical but not hugely talented O-line, one very good WR, and not a whole lot after that. They lost their 3 best players on offense from last year, and the difference is noticeable.

I think they are a good, not great, team, and are capable of upsetting some CAA teams that most would consider superior.