PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the Big South

rokamortis
October 13th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Now a bit further into the season, what are your thoughts on the Big South?

CCU is 6-0 with a complete DI schedule and wins: @SC State (5-2), Furman (2-4), @EKU (3-3), Hampton (1-5), @Elon (2-5), Gardner-Webb (4-3). A big game @Liberty this weekend.

Charleston Southern is 7-0 getting it done on the road and they have a 13 game schedule, no bye week. There opponents include with a non-scholly team and 2 sub D-I teams. Wins: @El Cid (2-5), Shorter [DII](0-6), @Campbell (1-5), @Norfolk St (2-4), @App St (1-5), N Greenville[DII] (4-2), @VMI (1-5). They play @Colorado this weekend.

Gardner-Webb is 4-3 but has some key wins over former power schools. They are afflicted by non-DI schools as well. Wins are over Furman (2-4), Richmond (2-4), @Wofford (4-2), and Point [NAIA] (2-4) . Losses are @Marshall [FBS] (4-2), @Charlotte [Trans] (4-3), and @Coastal (6-0). They have a bye week to get ready for Liberty in 2 weeks.

Liberty is 3-3 but are a huge question mark for me. They've lost to who they were supposed to and beat who they were supposed to, although Richmond is questionable now. Looks like the played the better teams pretty tough though in their losses - ODU especially. Wins all at home: Monmouth (3-4), Morgan St. (1-5), Kentucky Wesleyan [DII] (0-6). Losses all on road @Kent St [FBS] (2-5), @Richmond (2-4), @Old Dominion [Trans] (4-2).

VMI and Presby are both bad, 1-5 and 1-4 respectively.

So what are your thoughts? At this point, does the conference deserve consideration for an at-large bid? Are the teams over-rated? How do you think the season will shake out for the BSC?

ElCid
October 13th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Big South is doing pretty good this year but I don't think it is so much as them getting better as it is others, primarily, SOCN, getting worse. Except maybe for Coastal, they are genuinely good. There are many possibly permutations, but I think it is pretty clear what will happen.

CCU is rolling. Given an expected loss at USC, CCU has one game that is a threat, and that is this weekend. If CCU loses to Liberty, CCU would probably get an at large if it does not win the BS. As it is they will probably end up 11-1 or 10-2.

Charleston Southern - Not sold yet. They have benefited from a great schedule. They caught the Dogs sleeping first game of the year and got a couple breaks as well. Besides The Citadel and App St, they have no victories of note, and those two are not exactly sterling. HOWEVER, as I have mentioned earlier, if they give Colorado a run for their money or even win somehow, I obviously would send them to the head of the class. But I think it unlikely that they even make a good showing. Their last three games against CCU, GW and Liberty will reveal all we need to know about them. I think they end up something like 9-4 with no realistic chance at an at-large bid due to conference losses.

GW - I was impressed early but the honeymoon is over. The loss to Charlotte was inexcusable. The blow out to CCU looked bad as well. Richmond no longer looks very good and Wofford looks more and more like a one off. Even if they win out, which is unlikely, they are probably done due to the weak schedule (2 sub Div I). I think they end up 8-4.

Liberty - Definitely an enigma this year. Played ODU tough, but loss to Richmond looks bad now. They will obviously have to take the CCU and/or GW game to have a shot at the BS. One more loss and I do not think they get an at large at 8-4 where I think they end op. Their victories look ok, but pretty weak opponents.

So, in summary, if CCU does not win the BS, it could get an at-large. But if CCU wins the BS outright, which I think they will do, I do not think any other team can get one. That would be kind of sad with possibly two 8-4 teams and possibly even a 9-4 team. The schedules are just too weak. A 9-3 Liberty might have gotten an at large for Liberty, with their close FBS loss, but if they go 9-3 as of today, they win the BS auto.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Big South gets no more than 2 in the playoffs this year because of their scheduling debacles.

They are definitely improved as a conference, but at this point the only impressive victory seems to have been GW over Wofford (and we all know my opinion on that one). Coastal collectively is a great team with a great offensive

DSUrocks07
October 13th, 2013, 10:59 PM
CCU and that's it. But as you said, If Chuck South somehow knocks off Colorado (not completely out of the question), then all bets are off. I think GW and Liberty dug too deep of a hole for themselves to contend for an at-large consideration. And if one of them WINS the auto, it will be a bad loss for CCU and they would be questionable as well.

bjtheflamesfan
October 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I havent been a buyer on CSU from the beginning because of the rather soft schedule (although The Citadel and App State looked like bigger games at the beginning of the year). G-W is starting to descend back to reality after their hot start, and despite being 3-3, Liberty is still very much a player, especially getting CCU in what has been a Big South house of horrors the last few years (including a couple pretty significant beatdowns of the Chants). I think if Liberty holds serve at home as some would expect them to, and they avoid a WTF game against either G-W, PC or VMI, that the Flames will beat a worn down CSU squad and win the big south autobid

rokamortis
October 14th, 2013, 04:27 AM
One thing that really hurts the BSC is that every team not named Coastal has 2 sub DI games. And in VMI's case actually has a loss to one.

Hopefully this season has given teams like GWU and CSU hope of making the playoffs and will work to improve their schedules. Liberty has no excuse to schedule 2 sub-DI games. That will help strengthen the conference, along with VMI moving on.

knucklehead
October 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Rok, I hate the 2 D2 games for LU as well. Next year is another 12 gamer and they are trying hard to avoid a second D2 (Brevard is already on the schedule). I hear there is a pending deal with an FCS school to come into Williams and a second (lower tier) FBS game away (I hope App, haha).

Tealblood
October 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Liberty pinned their playoff hopes on beating us at home and left no margin for error-- replace the 2 lower division games with 2 FCS schools and it could be a different story

knucklehead
October 14th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Yea, we really needed to get that ODU and/or UR game and should have. It's now, win the conference or nothing.

bodoyle
October 14th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Didn't you guys have a D1 game scheduled, but they backed out and you guys were SOL and had to get a D2 team?

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
CCU and Liberty are the two best teams. I still think the Flames can run the table and be a huge headache in the playoffs.

CCU is a legit Frisco contender imo...

bjtheflamesfan
October 14th, 2013, 10:13 AM
WOuld have to check but I think it was more due to the fact that the AD wanted 7 home games and it got to the point where we ran out of FCS schools to call and in order to get that 7th home game we had to start calling D2s. I am also not a fan of having both Kentucky Wesleyan and Brevard on the schedule, but we discuss the issues relating to getting teams to come to Williams at length on the Liberty board and the one that seems to get the most traction is the simple fact that a matchup with Liberty doesnt have enough cachet (sp?) to entice some of the top teams outside of the Eastern Time Zone to come to Lynchburg on a regular basis. If we could get a team or two like a Central Arkansas or Southeastern Louisiana or Sam Houston State or Cal Poly (who we used to play) or a Southern Illinois or Eastern Illinois (another former opponent) or Indiana State or Eastern Kentucky or Tennessee-Martin or South Dakota State or any number of other teams from the "power conferences" but at the same time, find more flexibility to travel to these teams in order to make an agreement like that happen, you will see a definite upgrade in the quality of opponents coming to Williams. Some also think that making our FBS intentions so clear may have hurt FCS scheduling as well.

Nova09
October 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Only 2 teams will have any chance at at-large, CCU or CSU. CSU I suspect will lose at least 3 games from here on out, and will remove themselves from discussion. But let's say they lose to Colorado and CCU, and finish with 9 DI wins. Problem is, not one of those wins is a good win. By beating Liberty and GW, those teams become sub-500. So I really can't imagine CSU getting an at-large without beating Colorado.

CCU should get an at-large if their only loss is to a Liberty team that runs the table. Should probably get an at-large if only loss (besides South Carolina) is to CSU if CSU manages to lose only one game in addition to Colorado. If bizarre circumstances lead to loss at VMI or Presby, with no other losses (except SC) they get the auto so no discussion of at-large. Lose to Charlotte, SC, and a BS team and you're out of luck. Lose to Liberty who loses to someone else but holds tiebreaker for auto-bid, things get interesting and all depends how deep the bubble is.

knucklehead
October 14th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Didn't you guys have a D1 game scheduled, but they backed out and you guys were SOL and had to get a D2 team?

I believe so, but I can't remember who right now. I think Norfolk State moved their game with us to 2014 and then we filled with Morgan state. I can't remember who I heard the other team was.

bodoyle
October 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I think nothing will change with the BSC until a team like CSU or GW (this year) can have a few solid years in a row. They are off to nice starts, but GW has already lost to UNC-C (who lost to UNC-P the next week), and CSU eeked out a win over fricking VMI.

bjtheflamesfan
October 15th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I agree...the road to the Big South title has gone through either Lynchburg or Conway pretty much since 2005 and itll stay that way until either CSU or G-W (or even PC if they can get their act together) or Monmouth or Kennessaw (who join in the next couple seasons) rise up and hit both in the mouth.

kdinva
October 15th, 2013, 02:16 PM
and CSU eeked out a win over fricking VMI.

again, for of five plays (not executed) doomed the Keydets.......just like Robert Morris or N. Greenville this season, and Citadel last season.........

walliver
October 15th, 2013, 03:02 PM
With only 6 teams in the conference, one at-large is about the most that can be expected.

This will be an issue for the next few years until Kennesaw is up and running, and even then, I don't know how long Monmouth stays around.

CCU is in good shape.
Liberty has no signature win, and will have to win out to get to 7 D-I wins. I know the rules are different this year, but Liberty is unlikely to slide in with 6 D-1 wins. Essentially their only real hope is the auto bid.
Gardner-Webb has to win out to get to 7 wins, see above.
CSU with 5 D-I wins already and 6 games to go, may be in somewhat better shape. But I believe they can only lose one Big South game to be in serious consideration for an at-large - they need to finish 2d. It is still possible, that there may be a few open spots in the playoffs available and they can back into a spot. My prediction, however, is that the wheels begin to come off their dream season this weekend.

Mr. Bojangles
October 24th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Looking for some help from some Big South fans.

We are heading down to Charleston Southern this weekend, and we cannot find any info on tailgating, parking, stadium policies etc. We have heard that there is no alcohol allowed on campus, even for tailgating.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

To stay on topic, I have only followed the 4 BS schools (CC, CSU, GW, PC) on our schedule and I must say CCU seems to be the only legit contender of the 4.

Presby has a decent running game, but once we made them throw the ball, we shut them down.
GW has a very good offense, but they shut it down and went into "run out the clock" mode against us when they were up 21 in the 4th. It came back to bite them as they couldn't get it going again.
You have to think that all of the injuries and youth of CSU has to catch up to them at some point. Losing significant contributors on D and down to their 3rd string QB who may start against us.

WH49er
October 24th, 2013, 11:17 AM
You have to think that all of the injuries and youth of CSU has to catch up to them at some point. Losing significant contributors on D and down to their 3rd string QB who may start against us.

If can somehow contain CSU's running game on Saturday we might leave Charleston with a victory. Tall task with our lack of depth in the front 7.

kdinva
October 24th, 2013, 02:17 PM

We are heading down to Charleston Southern this weekend, and we cannot find any info on tailgating, parking, stadium policies etc. We have heard that there is no alcohol allowed on campus, even for tailgating.

yes to no booze, beer, etc............and don't be surprised if the UNCC tailgaters outnumber Chuck's........and enjoy the two port a potties......go to "Bing" maps, and find the campus from the air........that'll give you an idea of the layout (campus is in N. Charleston, at I-26 and US 78).

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 02:21 PM
yes to no booze, beer, etc............and don't be surprised if the UNCC tailgaters outnumber Chuck's........and enjoy the two port a potties......go to "Bing" maps, and find the campus from the air........that'll give you an idea of the layout (campus is in N. Charleston, at I-26 and US 78).

http://www.greatcanadianjokebook.com/cartoon_jokes/23312980-jesus.jpg

New Bucs Fan
October 24th, 2013, 02:23 PM
There is no alcohol on campus. The tailgating area is pretty much limited to the area around the end of the stadium. Parking is very limited. As far as policies, pretty standard stuff - no umbrellas, bags, etc. Came out of CU game fairly uninjured and QB should be back on track.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

To stay on topic, I have only followed the 4 BS schools (CC, CSU, GW, PC) on our schedule and I must say CCU seems to be the only legit contender of the 4.

Presby has a decent running game, but once we made them throw the ball, we shut them down.
GW has a very good offense, but they shut it down and went into "run out the clock" mode against us when they were up 21 in the 4th. It came back to bite them as they couldn't get it going again.

citdog
October 24th, 2013, 02:25 PM
There is no alcohol on campus. The tailgating area is pretty much limited to the area around the end of the stadium. Parking is very limited. As far as policies, pretty standard stuff - no umbrellas, bags, etc. Came out of CU game fairly uninjured and QB should be back on track.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

it's quite funny about the Baptist College..........no alcohol on campus but the girls there, when I was a Cadet, were ALWAYS ready to have a drink and head to bed.....

ASU_Fanatic
October 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM
coastal is the class of this conference but i still think chuck south can get a playoff spot and give coastal a run for their money. i love the way chuck south plays. they don't kill anybody, they just eat the clock and go on huge drives. i learned first hand it's very frustrating playing against them and coastal could find that out the hard way. if chuck south somehow wins the big south chadwell has to be in the running for coach of the year

ElCid
October 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM
it's quite funny about the Baptist College..........no alcohol on campus but the girls there, when I was a Cadet, were ALWAYS ready to have a drink and head to bed.....

I thought that was CoC girls. They were too easy.

elcid83
October 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM

Mr. Bojangles,

If you discretely pour your beer in a cup, I don't think you will have any problems. Having said that, I will tell you the first time I tailgated at CSU, I had a campus police officer order me to put my cigar out. Thank goodness he didn't check out my cup... Also, prepare yourself to watch a football game in a stadium that no high school should have to play in.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

caribbeanhen
October 25th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I'm still thinking about it

Twentysix
October 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM
coastal is the class of this conference but i still think chuck south can get a playoff spot and give coastal a run for their money. i love the way chuck south plays. they don't kill anybody, they just eat the clock and go on huge drives. i learned first hand it's very frustrating playing against them and coastal could find that out the hard way. if chuck south somehow wins the big south chadwell has to be in the running for coach of the year

It'll be tough to take it from Bohl imo. With a 3 peat on the line it is his to lose.

IaaScribe
October 25th, 2013, 11:17 PM
CSU won't get an at-large bid, even with an 11-2 record. No meat on the schedule. The only way they get in is if they run the table the rest of the way.

buck50
October 26th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I got to see Coastal in person at Roy Kidd Stadium against a young EKU team. They have a very explosive offense. Lots of weapons and a good overall scheme. It was a close game until late in the 3rd and EKU had to play catch up with a young QB. I don't know about the rest of the conference but CC looks pretty good.