PDA

View Full Version : Is SIU putting it together or is UNI hungover?

penguinpower
October 13th, 2013, 06:11 AM
SIU is a team that I cannot put my finger on. Their QB is fantastic, their run defense is outstanding but the games that I've seen the pass defense needed improvement. I really thought YSU and SIU were mirror images the only difference being special teams big advantage to YSU there.

Now SIU goes into UNI and takes down a team that I thought was in a different class with NDSU. I did not watch the game but the box score indicates that it shouldn't have been as close as it was.

SIU appeared to be on the verge of some good wins but is now in the middle of the title race.
I did not see that coming. As a matter of fact, I figured that UNI's margin of victory would be similar for YSU because of the mirroring analagy except UNI wants revenge for last year meaning that YSU would be beaten worse. You would think by now you could put a finger on the pecking order of each team in the conference. I thought SIU was a little underrated and under the radar but now that they have some quality wins and some close losses on their resume they certainly appear capable.

On the other hand I do not want to put too much into one game. UNI was beat up from a championship fight with NDSU the week before. It also appears that they lost some defensive identity with the loss of Farley and UNI's running back was injured as well. They may also have had a letdown from such an emotional game and SIU does what any good team does, took advantage of it.

The data doesn't always tell the whole story, I mean that box score indicates total domination by SIU and Sagarin will give a big bump to SIU, but the circumstances of the game are not in the statistics.

SIU has been in every game this year. All of their losses have been close. Now it seems they are putting it together and they are winning those close games and the schedule appears to get easier after next week

SIU you are one confusing team WTF?

IBleedYellow
October 13th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Let's not forget that 'stache is 5-1 against the Panthers. Some teams just have your number, like the Bears do for the Bison.

Looks like right now the top of the Valley is about to be really crowded for a few weeks. We probably aren't going to know who wins it until the last week, although of NDSU is able to beat SIU they will be sitting pretty happy.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 07:12 AM
SIU is a team that I cannot put my finger on. Their QB is fantastic, their run defense is outstanding but the games that I've seen the pass defense needed improvement. I really thought YSU and SIU were mirror images the only difference being special teams big advantage to YSU there.

Now SIU goes into UNI and takes down a team that I thought was in a different class with NDSU. I did not watch the game but the box score indicates that it shouldn't have been as close as it was.

SIU appeared to be on the verge of some good wins but is now in the middle of the title race.
I did not see that coming. As a matter of fact, I figured that UNI's margin of victory would be similar for YSU because of the mirroring analagy except UNI wants revenge for last year meaning that YSU would be beaten worse. You would think by now you could put a finger on the pecking order of each team in the conference. I thought SIU was a little underrated and under the radar but now that they have some quality wins and some close losses on their resume they certainly appear capable.

On the other hand I do not want to put too much into one game. UNI was beat up from a championship fight with NDSU the week before. It also appears that they lost some defensive identity with the loss of Farley and UNI's running back was injured as well. They may also have had a letdown from such an emotional game and SIU does what any good team does, took advantage of it.

The data doesn't always tell the whole story, I mean that box score indicates total domination by SIU and Sagarin will give a big bump to SIU, but the circumstances of the game are not in the statistics.

SIU has been in every game this year. All of their losses have been close. Now it seems they are putting it together and they are winning those close games and the schedule appears to get easier after next week

SIU you are one confusing team WTF?.

The pass defense has improved because the young d line is jelling. The o line is still without two starters who haven't played for the last four games.

The score doesn't reflect the domination. They did come out flat after last week until we threw another pick six to put them right back in the game and they responded and damn near stole it. Johnson's rushing problems had at least as much to do with his line being manhandled as with his hip.

Our kicking game has to grow up fast like our lines have been doing. Our 2OT loss to EIU was because of a missed fg and the YSU game would have at least gone to OT in spite of our 2nd half collapse and fumble at the end if we hadn't missed an xp. Last night wouldn't have gone to OT if we hadn't missed a 29 yard fg with 0:02 left. Once again we didn't play well in the 2nd half and that must change if we hope to get to the playoffs and show well.

IBleedYellow
October 13th, 2013, 07:33 AM

The pass defense has improved because the young d line is jelling. The o line is still without two starters who haven't played for the last four games.

The score doesn't reflect the domination. They did come out flat after last week until we threw another pick six to put them right back in the game and they responded and damn near stole it. Johnson's rushing problems had at least as much to do with his line being manhandled as with his hip.

Our kicking game has to grow up fast like our lines have been doing. Our 2OT loss to EIU was because of a missed fg and the YSU game would have at least gone to OT in spite of our 2nd half collapse and fumble at the end if we hadn't missed an xp. Last night wouldn't have gone to OT if we hadn't missed a 29 yard fg with 0:02 left. Once again we didn't play well in the 2nd half and that must change if we hope to get to the playoffs and show well.

So the team that starts of strong but slows down is playing a team that starts of slow but finishes strong next week. This will be a great game.

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 07:56 AM
So the team that starts of strong but slows down is playing a team that starts of slow but finishes strong next week. This will be a great game.
It usually is if you don't expect too much offense. The average score of their games over the years is 17-15.

Thundar
October 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM
It usually is if you don't expect too much offense. The average score of their games over the years is 17-15.

wasnt one of them back in 2006 or 2007 0-9 for a final?

mainejeff
October 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM
UNI still deserves to be in the Top 5.......and so does Towson........xrolleyesx

Bison06
October 13th, 2013, 08:43 AM

2005. Steve Walker tore up his knee and our offense couldn't recover.

BisonBacker
October 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM
UNI still deserves to be in the Top 5.......and so does Towson........xrolleyesx

I think that is debatable. They are both borderline top 5 at this point. I watched that Villanova-Towson matchup last night. Hard to come away with a feeling of a top 5 team last night the way they were giving the ball away. I don't know what the game averages are for each team are in the turnover department but against a good balanced squad you don't win that way. UNI on the other hand is also a borderline top 5 team. With a healthy RB in Johnson yeah (I was gonna say with a healthy Johnson but that just sounded wrong LOL) but with the loss of the teams leading tackler in Farley and Johnson being dinged up I don't know. If they had won yesterday yeah for sure but now with two losses and injuries mounting up I don't know. It's going to be an interesting poll coming out tomorrow.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 13th, 2013, 08:50 AM
UNI is going to have a hard time winning in Brookings but a 3 loss UNI team maybe even a 4 loss UNI still makes the playoffs, although they would be going to one of the Montana schools or NDSU in the 2nd round.

SIU is playing tough right now. NDSU will have their hands full next week in Carbondale. I'm sure SIU will bring at least one safety down in the box to help stop the run.

The next few weeks will be really interesting in the Valley.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I think that is debatable. They are both borderline top 5 at this point. I watched that Villanova-Towson matchup last night. Hard to come away with a feeling of a top 5 team last night the way they were giving the ball away. I don't know what the game averages are for each team are in the turnover department but against a good balanced squad you don't win that way. UNI on the other hand is also a borderline top 5 team. With a healthy RB in Johnson yeah (I was gonna say with a healthy Johnson but that just sounded wrong LOL) but with the loss of the teams leading tackler in Farley and Johnson being dinged up I don't know. If they had won yesterday yeah for sure but now with two losses and injuries mounting up I don't know. It's going to be an interesting poll coming out tomorrow.

If that's all it took I'd be on the Payton watchxcoffeex

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM
If that's all it took I'd be on the Payton watchxcoffeex
Awaiting the rimshot.

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 09:17 AM
2005, the only shutout in the series.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
2005, the only shutout in the series.

Yeah, and I think the "blowout" was 24-14...

UNIFanSince1983
October 13th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Talk about hungover I know I am.

UNI didn't look good. Johnson only had 11 carries for 19 yards I don't know what the deal was. SIU was a very good team. They deserved to win yesterday. It shouldn't have even been in overtime if the SIU kicker didn't suck. I don't know why on 3rd and 1 in overtime we tried to throw the ball. It looked like a QB sneak would have worked out just fine, but of course I am not a coach. Something about Lennon has Farley's number. Rough day yesterday, but congrats to SIU they deserved it.

IBleedYellow
October 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
For some reason my quote button isn't working....

Johnson only had 19 yards because your O-Line was getting blown off the line and he was already dinged up from last weeks game against NDSU.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Johnson only had 19 yards because your O-Line was getting blown off the line and he was already dinged up from last weeks game against NDSU.

SIU's d line has come a very long way since the YSU game.

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM

and Johnson wasn't healthy, and they ran a great scheme, etc etc

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Talk about hungover I know I am.

UNI didn't look good. Johnson only had 11 carries for 19 yards I don't know what the deal was. SIU was a very good team. They deserved to win yesterday. It shouldn't have even been in overtime if the SIU kicker didn't suck. I don't know why on 3rd and 1 in overtime we tried to throw the ball. It looked like a QB sneak would have worked out just fine, but of course I am not a coach. Something about Lennon has Farley's number. Rough day yesterday, but congrats to SIU they deserved it.

I agree, but the pass was open on 3rd and 1. I called for a sneak on both 3rd and 4th but never got it.

PantherRob82
October 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
SIU dominated the game. It should have been 21-0 with 6 mins left in the 3rd quarter, but their QB threw an awful pass for a pick 6.

I can't think of one facet of the game where we were better, other than maybe special teams.

Lennon has our number, team was banged up, some key players had injuries, Bison game, Homecoming, and stuff. SIU was better, no question. Whether or not we can recover is yet to be seen.

This season has been confusing. McNeese game made me think we were decent, but McNeese was overrated. Then our game and McNeese-UCA last week made me think we were pretty legit. Now this week leaves me wondering about the playoffs.
I think we beat USD, WIU, and MSU. SDSU and YSU could go either way. If we lose to SDSU and YSU playoffs will be on the bubble. 7-4 with a BCS win and 24 teams might get us in. We don't want to be in the position YSU was in with too many 7-4 teams.

Twentysix
October 13th, 2013, 03:38 PM
SIU dominated the game. It should have been 21-0 with 6 mins left in the 3rd quarter, but their QB threw an awful pass for a pick 6.

I can't think of one facet of the game where we were better, other than maybe special teams.

Lennon has our number, team was banged up, some key players had injuries, Bison game, Homecoming, and stuff. SIU was better, no question. Whether or not we can recover is yet to be seen.

This season has been confusing. McNeese game made me think we were decent, but McNeese was overrated. Then our game and McNeese-UCA last week made me think we were pretty legit. Now this week leaves me wondering about the playoffs.
I think we beat USD, WIU, and MSU. SDSU and YSU could go either way. If we lose to SDSU and YSU playoffs will be on the bubble. 7-4 with a BCS win and 24 teams might get us in. We don't want to be in the position YSU was in with too many 7-4 teams.

It won't be the same position as a lot of teams will be 8-4.

Tribe93
October 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM
SUI seems like a legit squad.

MplsBison
October 13th, 2013, 07:02 PM
This is the most legitimate potential for NDSU's first road loss since the 2010 playoffs.

SIU has now beaten SDSU and UNI in back to back weeks (although one could argue that in both cases SIU caught them right after playing NDSU), lost to YSU earlier by one point, lost in OT to an EIU team that is going to do heavy damage in the playoffs and lost respectably at a B1G team in the first week.

NDSU better be as ready to play as they've been all season or they will lose.

ValleyTalk
October 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM
YSU around 10, SIU around 15 if I had a poll.... The two could join NDSU in the top ten after next week IF SIU knocks off the Bison.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM
YSU around 10, SIU around 15 if I had a poll.... The two could join NDSU in the top ten after next week IF SIU knocks off the Bison.

seems close. How far would you drop YSU if they lose to SDSU or UNI?

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Right now I'd rank the 5 playoff contenders in the MVFC like this:

1) NDSU
2) YSU
3) SIU
4) UNI
5) SDSU

I was surprised by how well SIU handled UNI, its got me concerned about UNI and they plummeted in my ballot this week from #2 to the mid-teens. I think SIU is very dangerous, they're capable of beating NDSU but they're still underdogs at home against the Bison I'd say.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM

1) NDSU
2) YSU
3) SIU
4) UNI
5) SDSU

I was surprised by how well SIU handled UNI, its got me concerned about UNI and they plummeted in my ballot this week from #2 to the mid-teens. I think SIU is very dangerous, they're capable of beating NDSU but they're still underdogs at home against the Bison I'd say.

I think that YSU is a good club but that so far their only good win is @SIU. Agreed that NDSU is the favorite this week by 10 or more pts.

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 08:03 PM

1) NDSU
2) YSU
3) SIU
4) UNI
5) SDSU

That looks like a pretty good summary of the situation at the moment.

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah, and I think the "blowout" was 24-14...
That was 2009.
In 2010, the Bison won 20-6 in Fargo. That would be the largest margin in the series. All the rest of their games have been single digit margins.

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Southern Illinois vs North Dakota St.

Record: 3-4-0

No

W/L

Date

PF

PA

Notes

W

11-16-1963

Carbondale, IL

W

11-19-2005

Carbondale, IL

L

10-04-2008

Fargo, ND

W

09-26-2009

Carbondale, IL

L

11-06-2010

Fargo, ND

L

10-08-2011

Carbondale, IL

L

10-27-2012

Fargo, ND

Totals

ngineer
October 13th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I think that is debatable. They are both borderline top 5 at this point. I watched that Villanova-Towson matchup last night. Hard to come away with a feeling of a top 5 team last night the way they were giving the ball away. I don't know what the game averages are for each team are in the turnover department but against a good balanced squad you don't win that way. UNI on the other hand is also a borderline top 5 team. With a healthy RB in Johnson yeah (I was gonna say with a healthy Johnson but that just sounded wrong LOL) but with the loss of the teamstackler in Farley and Johnson being dinged up I don't know. If they had won yesterday yeah for sure but now with two losses and injuries mounting up I don't know. It's going to be an intere leading sting poll coming out tomorrow.

That's the problem with UNI,now. The team on the field aint the team that was highly ranked two weeks ago. The question is how strong is a the team that is being put on the field.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Why is the question an either/or one? Could be both, UNI hungover from letting one get away and SIU much improved from two weeks ago. SIU must be improved because clenz hasn't filed a BR yet.

BisonBacker
October 14th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Why is the question an either/or one? Could be both, UNI hungover from letting one get away and SIU much improved from two weeks ago. SIU must be improved because clenz hasn't filed a BR yet.

Weren't you on the Fire Lennon bandwagon? Over on the Saluki board he was being prepped for the hot ticket out of town on the next bus. Now he's a demigod? We shall see even with a dinged up Bison squad coming to town I still like our chances. So far the Bison have withstood everyone's "A" game we'll see about the Staches "improved 2013 version" of the Salukis.

BISON Thunder
October 14th, 2013, 07:10 AM
I think that YSU is a good club but that so far their only good win is @SIU. Agreed that NDSU is the favorite this week by 10 or more pts.

Any significant injuries for the Dawgs?

underdawg
October 14th, 2013, 08:30 AM
As hounddawg has mentioned 6'5" 320 former starting OG Nate Haremza is STILL out with some mystery condition Coach Lennon has not deemed to talk about (probably the shoulder) and former starter 6'4 305 Red-shirt frosh Jake Natario is also out (and has been several games like Haremza). Never the less Lennon likes what he sees in their replacements 6'3" 320 Jamario Robinson and 6'4" 295 Corey Boemer the cousin of Hall of fame OL Bryan Boemer.

Besides that, some other guys are new just because they've beat out former starters--the case with 6'5" 320 Florida A&M transfer Jarien Moreland who beat out former starter Oklahoma transfer 6'7" 295 Victor Craven.

OLB Corey lee had a shoulder injury earlier and is being pushed by Minnesota Transfer Lamonte Edwards who had a sack against UNI.

That's about it.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Weren't you on the Fire Lennon bandwagon? Over on the Saluki board he was being prepped for the hot ticket out of town on the next bus. Now he's a demigod? We shall see even with a dinged up Bison squad coming to town I still like our chances. So far the Bison have withstood everyone's "A" game we'll see about the Staches "improved 2013 version" of the Salukis.

More on fire him if he won't get rid of a couple of assistants bandwagon. Much to do with the way we can't adjust in the second half, the end of the EIU and YSU games, and the way we keep running that chicken**** east/west stuff. Much is forgiven, ...:D. IF we make the playoffs. Jerry Kill is a tough act to follow. FTR, most everybody here likes everything about how Lennon runs the program except not making the playoffs, and his OC. I have heard former players mention that his rapport with black athletes isn't the best and a couple of assistants are straight up assholes.Replacing the o line coach has a huge amount to do with our improvement in spite of not having two starters for the past month.

NDSU should be a solid favorite this week, people around here didn't seem to notice how hard we made it on ourselves to win a game that we dominated across the board.

BISON Thunder
October 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM
As hounddawg has mentioned 6'5" 320 former starting OG Nate Haremza is STILL out with some mystery condition Coach Lennon has not deemed to talk about (probably the shoulder) and former starter 6'4 305 Red-shirt frosh Jake Natario is also out (and has been several games like Haremza). Never the less Lennon likes what he sees in their replacements 6'3" 320 Jamario Robinson and 6'4" 295 Corey Boemer the cousin of Hall of fame OL Bryan Boemer.

Besides that, some other guys are new just because they've beat out former starters--the case with 6'5" 320 Florida A&M transfer Jarien Moreland who beat out former starter Oklahoma transfer 6'7" 295 Victor Craven.

OLB Corey lee had a shoulder injury earlier and is being pushed by Minnesota Transfer Lamonte Edwards who had a sack against UNI.

That's about it.
Dang...some big boys right there. Hopefully will see both team's best on Saturday.

MplsBison
October 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
More on fire him if he won't get rid of a couple of assistants bandwagon. Much to do with the way we can't adjust in the second half, the end of the EIU and YSU games, and the way we keep running that chicken**** east/west stuff. Much is forgiven, ...:D. IF we make the playoffs. Jerry Kill is a tough act to follow. FTR, most everybody here likes everything about how Lennon runs the program except not making the playoffs, and his OC. I have heard former players mention that his rapport with black athletes isn't the best and a couple of assistants are straight up assholes.Replacing the o line coach has a huge amount to do with our improvement in spite of not having two starters for the past month.

NDSU should be a solid favorite this week, people around here didn't seem to notice how hard we made it on ourselves to win a game that we dominated across the board.

Too bad about what has happened to Kill. It seems his affliction has gone to a place it has never gone before. I hope he recovers, but it might do him well to step back from the game and give the Minnesota job to someone else.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Too bad about what has happened to Kill. It seems his affliction has gone to a place it has never gone before. I hope he recovers, but it might do him well to step back from the game and give the Minnesota job to someone else.

He'll eat steak every night in southern Illinois. He's still involved with the Coach Kill cancer fund he started while here.

underdawg
October 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM
And Kill still has a summer home at Lake of Egypt in SI--he plans on retiring here

MplsBison
October 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Glad to hear it. He seems like a great guy and a great coach (with a great set of coordinators who seem very loyal to him and are 'along for the ride'). I'm certain he could help Minnesota's program at least get back to what Mason was able to do.

One sports columnist for the Star Trib is calling for the U to let Kill go and hire Mason back.

Ronin
October 15th, 2013, 07:28 PM
SIU always gives the Panthers a run for their money, regardless of ranking or standings. I am just surprised that Farley was so predictable on 4th and 1 for the game. I was talking to myself when they came to the line.... play action, roll out for a keeper or short toss.

Oh well, congrats to SIU. Hopefully you can take NDSU down a peg.

Houndawg
October 15th, 2013, 07:35 PM
SIU always gives the Panthers a run for their money, regardless of ranking or standings. I am just surprised that Farley was so predictable on 4th and 1 for the game. I was talking to myself when they came to the line.... play action, roll out for a keeper or short toss.

Oh well, congrats to SIU. Hopefully you can take NDSU down a peg.

And if an alternate play hadn't worked everybody in Iowa would have said "WTF? We have the best RB in FCS, how could he not give him the ball?"

skinny_uncle
October 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
And if an alternate play hadn't worked everybody in Iowa would have said "WTF? We have the best RB in FCS, how could he not give him the ball?"

Yep. Been there, done that.