PDA

View Full Version : Wk. 7 AGS Poll voters, which teams are worthy, which are not...

ursus arctos horribilis
October 12th, 2013, 11:45 PM
for the information we have at hand this week? There were some teams in the poll and the ORV category that a lot of you thought were ridiculous to be in there and I agree some people are probably being lazy and just slot voting or voting based on reputation or that "this team is always in there". Some teams seem to be doing really well based on record and are receiving their due by my calculations but some are discounting their performances because they are against lesser teams or they don't really have any quality wins.

Let's have the discussion now before you cast your vote on some of these teams. Could use some help here from our esteemed voters and PC members etc.

If, as a voter, you are still voting for a team with one or two wins then I'd expect you better be prepared to defend your reasoning. We are too far into the season now for you to not being putting a solid effort into your ballot and knowing why you have who where and so forth.

Twentysix
October 13th, 2013, 12:27 AM
I wonder how bad the ORV would have been for APP if they could have been selected. xlolx

Squealofthepig
October 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM
OK, I had New Hampshire early, and I still think they're a good team, but after a while don't you have to win games? The Wildcats have two wins at home vs. Colgate (now 1-5) and Rhode Island (now 2-5). I'll admit their opening week showing vs. Central Michigan was solid - but shouldn't a top 25 team at least have some impressive wins?

UNH is on my watch - and hosting Villanova next weekend could definitely give voters a solid win to hang their hats on - but what have they done so far to be in anyone's polls?

Similarly, Murray State isn't on my ballot, and isn't really all that close. Their wins: a blowout vs. Campbellsville; a home win over Missouri State by a field goal; a 35-34 OT win at Jacksonville State (which honestly does impress me and puts them on my radar); and Tennessee Tech. Their FBS losses I don't hold against them (blowout losses to Bowling Green and my alma mater), but today's loss to SEMO - the Redhawks' first win of the season - keeps them off my ballot this week for certain.

Also, as a slight act of defiance, I generally don't have issues with people voting for teams that I have somewhere in my 40-50 range - voting is subjective, especially early in the season. I do like this sort of discussion, though, as ballots should now move to body-of-work assessments and not eye tests.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 01:44 AM
OK, I had New Hampshire early, and I still think they're a good team, but after a while don't you have to win games? The Wildcats have two wins at home vs. Colgate (now 1-5) and Rhode Island (now 2-5). I'll admit their opening week showing vs. Central Michigan was solid - but shouldn't a top 25 team at least have some impressive wins?

UNH is on my watch - and hosting Villanova next weekend could definitely give voters a solid win to hang their hats on - but what have they done so far to be in anyone's polls?

Similarly, Murray State isn't on my ballot, and isn't really all that close. Their wins: a blowout vs. Campbellsville; a home win over Missouri State by a field goal; a 35-34 OT win at Jacksonville State (which honestly does impress me and puts them on my radar); and Tennessee Tech. Their FBS losses I don't hold against them (blowout losses to Bowling Green and my alma mater), but today's loss to SEMO - the Redhawks' first win of the season - keeps them off my ballot this week for certain.

Also, as a slight act of defiance, I generally don't have issues with people voting for teams that I have somewhere in my 40-50 range - voting is subjective, especially early in the season. I do like this sort of discussion, though, as ballots should now move to body-of-work assessments and not eye tests.

Exactly. The "I had them in my poll and still believe them to be a good team" argument is BS at this point. A top 25 team is what we're coming up with here, not an "I think they are good" team.

An "I still think they are good" team should be on your radar not on your ballot.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Also, at this point in the season it seems that a team like the Tennessee State Tigers are being well undervalued while some of those other teams are being deemed worthy without having done anything to prove it. That seems damn shameful.

Twentysix
October 13th, 2013, 02:06 AM
Whatever, I voted Tenn State in my poll, go look bear-man :p.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I don't think the polls are very accurate yet.

I'll bet that SDSU and UNI will both be above SIU this week after both lost to them on their homecomings.

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Tennessee State is the only team in the OVC that can upset EIU and the Panthers travel to the Hole, I think on the 26 for the Big Blue homecoming. It kind of makes you wonder how good Bethune-Cookman is as well. Both teams are top 15 teams.

skinny_uncle
October 13th, 2013, 08:04 AM

I'll bet that SDSU and UNI will both be above SIU this week after both lost to them on their homecomings.
Probably since polls don't move enough normally for the kind of jumps that would be needed.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 08:15 AM
I believe that UNI has a stronger overall body of work, top 5. SIU, top 10. SDSU, on the other hand, still needs more proof on the field, top 20.

RabidRabbit
October 13th, 2013, 08:18 AM

SDSU should be about equal to SIU in the mid to upper teens. UNI now has two losses to two rated FCS teams. I'd have them double digits but not teens. That BCS team win for the Panthers is impressive.

Eastern ILL has done a lot right. Are they up to a top 3?

SE LA is a team that needs a look.

mainejeff
October 13th, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm hoping that Villanova jumps back into the Top 10.......I want them to be as highly ranked as possible when Maine plays them.

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2013, 09:02 AM

agree, they've gotten a look as in overlooked.... that team should be ranked

frozennorth
October 13th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure if NDSU is the #1 team right now. The defense is banged up and the team has been uncharacteristically sloppy. I think they lose next week.

caribbeanhen
October 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure if NDSU is the #1 team right now. The defense is banged up and the team has been uncharacteristically sloppy. I think they lose next week.

need a loss for a wake up call, NDST best team in the FCS

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I'm hoping that Villanova jumps back into the Top 10.......I want them to be as highly ranked as possible when Maine plays them.
Villanova is in the top 5, in my opinion.

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Who'd of thunk, USD is in 3rd place in the MVFC. Top 2 as of today are NDSU and YSU. SIU will be a tough game for the Bison next week. 3 losses is what is keeping SIU out of the top 10.

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2013, 09:23 AM

I Fordham over Nova due to the head-to-head.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Next week's game is the most difficult remaining on the schedule, followed closely by YSU.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Yes, in my opinion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2013, 09:29 AM
I'll have them 5th. I never lost faith in them. Extremely talented team....

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 09:37 AM
I Fordham over Nova due to the head-to-head.
Fordham is top 15, in my opinion.

Vooter
October 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Yup, that's us...just little ol' Top 15 Fordham... :D

bobcathpdevil56
October 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Okay, so where do you think Northern Arizona should be???

Ahead of Griz, behind Bobcats, puts them in top 10-15 area, does that make sense??

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Ahead of Griz, behind Bobcats, puts them in top 10-15 area, does that make sense??
I'd put them 20-25, body of work.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Yup, that's us...just little ol' Top 15 Fordham... :D
Great season so far! Signature win over Villanova.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 13th, 2013, 10:06 AM

I had them 16th. It's hard to ignore their dominating win over Montana. No way should the Griz be ahead of them.

There're a group of teams that are good but how good is the question, Wofford, NAU, Lehigh, Charleston, BCU, Montana, JMU, SDSU and Samford come to mind....

Charleston Southern is the team that I really have no clue about....

LehighU11
October 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM

You really are hilarious. I have Villanova in my top 10, but how can you place Fordham about 10 spots behind when they beat Villanova (who has 2 losses), are 7-0, beat FBS Temple on the road, handled a top 25-35ish Lehigh and every other team they've played this year?

I suggest you start using your own brain instead of someone else's computer model, especially if you do not understand how it is constructed. Plagiarism is pathetic.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 10:25 AM
You really are hilarious. I have Villanova in my top 10, but how can you place Fordham about 10 spots behind when they beat Villanova (who has 2 losses), are 7-0, beat FBS Temple on the road, handled a top 25-35ish Lehigh and every other team they've played this year?

I suggest you start using your own brain instead of someone else's computer model, especially if you do not understand how it is constructed. Plagiarism is pathetic.
Villanova #1 SOS, Fordham #54.
My own brain and its limited capacity have convinced me to use someone else's computer model.
I suggest you take your smarmy attitude and shove it up your ass.

bjtheflamesfan
October 13th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I really have not been a buyer on Charleston Southern...they are 7-0 but their opponent quality has been unbelievably low. The Citadel and App State are both down, they didnt dominate either of the D2 teams they played in Shorter and North Greenville and they beat two bad FCS teams in Norfolk State and Campbell and VMI is probably in a race with PC for the worst team in the Big South. They go to Boulder this week (where they are most assuredly expected to lose), then they play a Charlotte squad that is ahead of expectations, then PC before they head for "The Gauntlet" to close the season.

smilo
October 13th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I dropped NAU to 23 after last night. I know it was a road game, but they barely scraped by Sacramento St. What's that, like the 9th best team in the BSC? I had them a spot ahead of Montana, but I dropped them quite a bit. They have just become my first team out of the playoffs, but really my 16-23 are all in the same tier. We'll have to see who slips up going forward.

And man, that Big Sky Conference...Really only EWU and Montana St. look actually deserving. I have Montana in for now.

SE Louisiana is just on my radar for now. They are going to need two more big road wins to possibly make the playoffs (NW St. and Central Ark). If they keep taking care of business, they should have no trouble cracking the top 25 down the road.
----
As for the MVFC tiers: I still like UNI a lot, but I have to put them a spot behind SIU after an impressive road win like that. At the moment they deserve 6-7 or something. And Youngstown St. should be just ahead of SD St. in the mid teens. I feel bad dropping CCU for being nothing but impressive, but SIU and Nova clearly made a big leap this week while Towson and UNI are still solid to elite teams.

Back to top 25 worthiness - I have to put Tennessee St and Harvard on the worthy list due to lack of other candidates. And even Charleston Southern has to be in there at this point. There are so few deserving teams. I can't blame anyone for putting in UNH, CP, UCA, etc.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Montana St. look actually deserving.
That 2 TD loss to Stephen F. Austin really hurts their ranking right now, in my opinion. They can certainly make up for it down the stretch, though.

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2013, 10:43 AM
YSU is being overlooked IMO, they already beat SIU head-to-head. SOS only really matters after the season, when all the regular season games have been played. A top 10 team from week one, may not even be ranked at the end of the season.

superman7515
October 13th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Montana (4-1 - only showing standings vs D1 opponents) might be getting overvalued, myself included, with wins over Appalachian State (1-5), North Dakota (2-4), Portland State (1-4), and UC Davis (2-5).

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
YSU is being overlooked IMO, they already beat SIU head-to-head. SOS only really matters after the season, when all the regular season games have been played. A top 10 team from week one, may not even be ranked at the end of the season.
I see them in the top 10 right now. As for your SOS idea, I would argue that the same ranking procedure should be used throughout the season, week to week. You are absolutely correct in saying that SOS can change dramatically, but that's not a reason, in my opinion, to disregard it until the end of the year. I assume that most folks use an SOS component each week when making their decisions.

smilo
October 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM

Yeah, after I posted, I just realized this. I think I initially put SIU too high and YSU too low while SDSU may only get 7 wins.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, after I posted, I just realized this. I think I initially put SIU too high and YSU too low while SDSU may only get 7 wins.

I'd have both of them in the 8-13 range right now, YSU closer to 8, SIU closer to 13. Their game was a 1 point affair decided in the last minute when SIU fumbled about 10 yards from fg range. I believe that so far SIU has played a little tougher of a schedule.

chattownmocs
October 13th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Exactly. The "I had them in my poll and still believe them to be a good team" argument is BS at this point. A top 25 team is what we're coming up with here, not an "I think they are good" team.

An "I still think they are good" team should be on your radar not on your ballot.

I know you are the owner of this board or what not, but you should really let people make their own poll if you are gonna have a poll. Just Because you own the board doesn't make you the expert on FCS ball. You seem to think that a top 25 poll in college football is some sort of resume contest. Look at FBS, Alabama and Oregon do not have the best resumes among undefeated. They have one solid win, outside of that, they've beaten no one. But they are ranked number 1 and 2 because they are dominant. The same could be said for someone who is near the bottom of the top 25, they may have lost a game or 2, but when you watch them you can see that they are an excellent football team.

So basically when you post something like this, and last week you were mad that someone ranked Chattanooga, it shows you are not as knowledgeable as you think. Are their 25 teams with a better resume than Chattanooga, sure, we are only halfway through. Some teams schedules are front loaded, others are back loaded. Are their 25 teams who have a better running game and defense than Chattanooga? Of course not, you may not know that, because you haven't consistently watched them and someone else may have. Are their 25 teams that can beat Chattanooga when they play their best football? Of course not.

Let people vote how they want, and let it play out. Also, maybe leave the poll open a few more days so people can maybe study up on a few more teams instead of acting like we are sportswriters.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I know you are the owner of this board or what not, but you should really let people make their own poll if you are gonna have a poll. Just Because you own the board doesn't make you the expert on FCS ball. You seem to think that a top 25 poll in college football is some sort of resume contest. Look at FBS, Alabama and Oregon do not have the best resumes among undefeated. They have one solid win, outside of that, they've beaten no one. But they are ranked number 1 and 2 because they are dominant. The same could be said for someone who is near the bottom of the top 25, they may have lost a game or 2, but when you watch them you can see that they are an excellent football team.

So basically when you post something like this, and last week you were mad that someone ranked Chattanooga, it shows you are not as knowledgeable as you think. Are their 25 teams with a better resume than Chattanooga, sure, we are only halfway through. Some teams schedules are front loaded, others are back loaded. Are their 25 teams who have a better running game and defense than Chattanooga? Of course not, you may not know that, because you haven't consistently watched them and someone else may have. Are their 25 teams that can beat Chattanooga when they play their best football? Of course not.

Let people vote how they want, and let it play out. Also, maybe leave the poll open a few more days so people can maybe study up on a few more teams instead of acting like we are sportswriters.

Somebody needs a fresh tampon.

gotts
October 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM

Just because you have the ability to speak, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Montana (4-1 - only showing standings vs D1 opponents) might be getting overvalued, myself included, with wins over Appalachian State (1-5), North Dakota (2-4), Portland State (1-4), and UC Davis (2-5).
They are top 20, in my opinion.

BisonBacker
October 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Who'd of thunk, USD is in 3rd place in the MVFC. Top 2 as of today are NDSU and YSU. SIU will be a tough game for the Bison next week. 3 losses is what is keeping SIU out of the top 10.

I agree with this. I still have UNI above SIU not only based on W-L but I think with a healthy running back in Johnson and a game or two more experience for Farley's backup UNI is a playoff caliber team. When I look at UNI and other top 10 teams I see them being in every game against any of them winning any given one of them including against NDSU. Our offense has been suspect while doing what they need to to win they are not dominating anyone. Defensively we are banged up and showing signs of vulnerability. I guess at this point in the season that's to be expected but we will see against SIU and YSU in the coming weeks. I could see either of those games being a "L" if our offense doesn't pick it up.

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Should EIU be ranked #2 in this week's poll?

Professor Chaos
October 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I still have a real hard time evaluating Charleston Southern. I still have them as one of my first teams out but it's tough for me to leave a 7-0 team off. However, looking at their schedule there's just no substance to it. I continue to marvel at how unimpressive a road victory at App St has become with where that team is at right now.

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yes

dystopiamembrane
October 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I still have a real hard time evaluating Charleston Southern. I still have them as one of my first teams out but it's tough for me to leave a 7-0 team off. However, looking at their schedule there's just no substance to it. I continue to marvel at how unimpressive a road victory at App St has become with where that team is at right now.
Agreed. There are dozens of teams more worthy.

FargoBison
October 13th, 2013, 12:08 PM

Its between them and SHSU in my poll this week.

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Its between them and SHSU in my poll this week.

I think Easterm Washington has an argument for the 2nd spot this week as well.

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 12:14 PM
This was a tough week for me ranking wise due to Northern Iowa losing. I had trouble pegging SIU around my OVC and SoCon picks. SIU does appear to be much better than their record and has 2 wins over ranked competition so I could not decide if they deserved to be ranked higher than No. Iowa.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I think Easterm Washington has an argument for the 2nd spot this week as well.

EWU lost the head to head with SHSU, so I can't think they should be ranked above them.

I also think EIU should get the #2 spot compared to SHSU. Most of what SHSU has now is carryover from last year. They have a good record and their only loss is to a FBS, but they only have one quality win, which is vs EWU.

Humble Steward
October 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Tennessee State is he joy team in the OVC that can upset EIU and the Panthers travel to the Hole, I think on the 26 for the Big Blue homecoming. It kind of makes you wonder how good Bethune-Cookman is as well. Both teams are top 15 teams.

Tennessee State is the real deal guys. I got a chance to see it up and close. Our game was a true defensive battle, which I have stated several times, makes our victory that much more impressive. With that said, they will continue to climb in my poll and helps me measure and justify where I rank my B-CU Wildcats.

R.A.
October 13th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Anyone buying SC State yet?

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Tennessee State is the real deal guys. I got a chance to see it up and close. Our game was a true defensive battle, which I have stated several times, makes our victory that much more impressive. With that said, they will continue to climb in my poll and helps me measure and justify where I rank my B-CU Wildcats.

I'm not sure where to rank Tenn State vs Tenn Martin.

Tenn Martin has some better wins, but Tenn State has the win of Jax State where Tenn Martin lost.

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 12:36 PM

bethune's win against TSU is tarnished slightly because German did not play. However, you did spank FIU easily. The game against SC State will let us know how good the Wildcats really are.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Anyone buying SC State yet?

They're on my radar, I'm just not sure where yet.

Losses to Coastal and Clemson, fair enough, Coastal is great this year and Clemson is Clemson.

Wins against Alabama A&M, Benedict, and Hampton don't mean much.

NC A&T looked like they were a quality team at first, but now their wins against Appy and Elon aren't looking like much.

That leaves NC Central as their signature win, and I'm not sure where NC Central should be based on their resume so far.

FargoBison
October 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM
SDSU should be about equal to SIU in the mid to upper teens. UNI now has two losses to two rated FCS teams. I'd have them double digits but not teens. That BCS team win for the Panthers is impressive.

SE LA will definitely be working their way into my poll this week.

Humble Steward
October 13th, 2013, 12:53 PM
bethune's win against TSU is tarnished slightly because German did not play. However, you did spank FIU easily. The game against SC State will let us know how good the Wildcats really are.

I will be there. It's homecoming for the Wildcats and the game is already sold out. SCSU is bringing close to 5,000 fans, if not more. I'm not sure if the band is coming, but it wouldn't surprise me. This will be another defensive battle. In the last 3 years, each team has won on the opponents field. Should be a good game.

2010 - BCU, 2011 - SCSU, 2012 - BCU, 2013 - ???

Besides Florida State, Tennessee State is the toughest defense we have faced. I know they were playing without German, but we were playing on the road. I tend not to worry about who is on the field, just can you get the "W".

R.A.
October 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM
They're on my radar, I'm just not sure where yet.

Losses to Coastal and Clemson, fair enough, Coastal is great this year and Clemson is Clemson.

Wins against Alabama A&M, Benedict, and Hampton don't mean much.

NC A&T looked like they were a quality team at first, but now their wins against Appy and Elon aren't looking like much.

That leaves NC Central as their signature win, and I'm not sure where NC Central should be based on their resume so far.

Fair assessment.

If SC State can knock off Bethune Cookman, that will end up being SC State's signature win of the season... and that's a BIG IF.

If Tenn State wins the OVC (another BIG IF), then Bethune's win over Big Blue, will look even more dominant... which could make SC State's potential win over B-CU, THAT MUCH more important.

*On a side note, yah gotta give SC State some credit here. In past years, SC State was criticized heavily for their schedule not being FCS Competitive enough in the regular season. Well, this season SC State played Coastal. I beleive next season SC State plays Coastal and Furman. So, SC State is attempting to rise up!*

SU DOG
October 13th, 2013, 01:30 PM
SE LA will definitely be working their way into my poll this week.

I had them at #17 last week, and will probably bump them up slightly. I'm sold on the Lions.

mainejeff
October 13th, 2013, 01:31 PM

Good!

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Fist off, I never said I had any of those things you attribute to my personality so if you have them that's on you.

Next, I do allow everyone their own voice. Hell I fight for it when necessary. Most importantly though is that I am just a regular poster here as well and I can and will say whatever I feel like saying on a matter as obviously I allow you to do as well.

I see the ballots just as everyone else does because there are many that post them so I can and will start a discussion prior to the voting if I feel like doing so.

Shut your mouth and concentrate a little bit and you'll see what's going on here. I've never said or done one thing you put forth in your post or any of the other subterfgue you threw in there.

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 02:12 PM
EWU lost the head to head with SHSU, so I can't think they should be ranked above them.

I also think EIU should get the #2 spot compared to SHSU. Most of what SHSU has now is carryover from last year. They have a good record and their only loss is to a FBS, but they only have one quality win, which is vs EWU.

We are 30 and 6 since the start of 2011 with losses to FBS top 10 Texas A&M (2), FBS top 25 Baylor (1), NDSU in Frisco (2), and Central Arkansas (1)!! How much more consistent do you want?? Trying to keep us out of the #2 spot is ludicrous . People have been trying to down play what SHSU has done since we were 11-0 going into the 2011 post season. I would think after 3 seasons of this you would get the fact that we find a way to get it done. We had a letdown week this week. Historically that happens for us after our bye week. It's a good week for it to happen as the week after the let down week we usually dominate! Good thing about our let down week was we still got the W. After we handle McNeese this week maybe some will just accept that this team just gets it done when they need too.

Let down weeks happen at every school every year! A very very talented Towson team had one today and Northern Iowa team that took NDSU to the final seconds last week had one today! It happens! Those teams that can get out of them with a win are ahead of the game come November. Those that don't will be playing on the road in the playoffs!

For those that didnt watch today Towson is a damn good football team! They would win that game 8 of 10 times but a perfect storm of events put them down big very very early. They will bounce back and cause problems in the playoffs! The good thing is if we take care of business then we will be doing it from the comfort that is Bowers Stadium. Speaking of Bowers this was our 19th win in a row for the longest active home win streak in division 1 football going back to an early conference game against McNeese in 2010. I wouldn't want to see us get the #2 seed either if I were y'all. Coming to Bowers for the playoffs hasn't worked well for anybody!

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I had them at #17 last week, and will probably bump them up slightly. I'm sold on the Lions.

Whose is more deserving of a ranking: SELA, SC State or Chuck Southern?

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM
How high should SDSU and SIU be ranked this week?

Twentysix
SELA by a lot.

Twentysix

top 25 and top 10 respectively. ;)

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM
We are 30 and 6 since the start of 2011 with losses to FBS top 10 Texas A&M (2), FBS top 25 Baylor (1), NDSU in Frisco (2), and Central Arkansas (1)!! How much more consistent do you want?? Trying to keep us out of the #2 spot is ludicrous . People have been trying to down play what SHSU has done since we were 11-0 going into the 2011 post season. I would think after 3 seasons of this you would get the fact that we find a way to get it done. We had a letdown week this week. Historically that happens for us after our bye week. It's a good week for it to happen as the week after the let down week we usually dominate! Good thing about our let down week was we still got the W. After we handle McNeese this week maybe some will just accept that this team just gets it done when they need too.

I never said SHSU wasn't a good team. In the early weeks of the season it makes some sense to look at least year's results for purposes of ranking. We're now more than halfway through this season, so it should really boil down to performance this year. SHSU has played well, but played a weak schedule aside from A&M (a loss) and EWU (the one quality win). EIU has a FBS win, and more high quality FCS wins. I certainly think SHSU should be ranked, and is a top 10 team, I just don't see the case for a #2 spot.

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Let down weeks happen at every school every year! A very very talented Towson team had one today and Northern Iowa team that took NDSU to the final seconds last week had one today! It happens! Those teams that can get out of them with a win are ahead of the game come November. Those that don't will be playing on the road in the playoffs!

For those that didnt watch today Towson is a damn good football team! They would win that game 8 of 10 times but a perfect storm of events put them down big very very early. They will bounce back and cause problems in the playoffs! The good thing is if we take care of business then we will be doing it from the comfort that is Bowers Stadium. Speaking of Bowers this was our 19th win in a row for the longest active home win streak in division 1 football going back to an early conference game against McNeese in 2010. I wouldn't want to see us get the #2 seed either if I were y'all. Coming to Bowers for the playoffs hasn't worked well for anybody!

IMHO, Sam Houston should at least get some 1st place votes.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Tough call on both. SDSU is 4-3, that's hard to rank when there are so many quality 1 or 2 loss teams out there still.

SIU had a statement win over UNI, but again, that's the only really high quality win and they have 3 losses.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM
IMHO, Sam Houston should at least get some 1st place votes.

What would be the reasoning? FBS win? Strength of schedule and record so far? Top 25 wins? Not sure where you are going exactly but interested to hear.

Twentysix
October 13th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Tough call on both. SDSU is 4-3, that's hard to rank when there are so many quality 1 or 2 loss teams out there still.

SIU had a statement win over UNI, but again, that's the only really high quality win and they have 3 losses.

Double OT to #2,3,4 EIU

1 point to YSU, who should be on a bullet train to the top 10 in most peoples polls.

And 1 TD to the Illini, who aren't a juggernaut but they aren't horrible either.

Their 3 losses gets more of an asterisk than most other teams with 3 losses.

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I never said SHSU wasn't a good team. In the early weeks of the season it makes some sense to look at least year's results for purposes of ranking. We're now more than halfway through this season, so it should really boil down to performance this year. SHSU has played well, but played a weak schedule aside from A&M (a loss) and EWU (the one quality win). EIU has a FBS win, and more high quality FCS wins. I certainly think SHSU should be ranked, and is a top 10 team, I just don't see the case for a #2 spot.

We have dominated every team put in front of us including #2 EWU. The score of that game could've been alot worse. If we would've played an FBS team that wasn't dominating other FBS teams like A&M has been we would prob have an FBS win as well. But we did put 400+ yards of offense (about 380 against their #1's) on them and 28 points (all against their #1's) and we really dominated in 2 phases yesterday but our offense (#1 scoring offense in the country BTW) sputtered a little but we still got the W. Main point is that we're still beating every team put in front of us. Fact is if we win out we will get the #2 seed. No way around it.

Put Northern Illinoise or San Diego State team on the same field as Texas A&M and they would get destroyed. Northern Illinoise has played one of the weakest schedules in FBS. San Diego State is not a very good team at all, and the only above average FCS win Eastern has is against a 4-3 Sothern Illinoise. Game for game we are about even this year with our FBS team being a top ten and our signature FCS team ranked #2. Don't see where their schedule is any better at all??

WestCoastAggie
October 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
What would be the reasoning? FBS win? Strength of schedule and record so far? Top 25 wins? Not sure where you are going exactly but interested to hear.

I think SHSU has a very prolific offense and they dropped 49 on a top 10 team in EWU. We will see if I am way off base here next weekend. xrotatehx

Twentysix
October 13th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I think SHSU has a very prolific offense and they dropped 49 on a top 10 team in EWU. We will see if I am way off base here next weekend. xrotatehx

Their prolific offense scored 14 on Lamar yesterday? Kind of a big thing to omit when you make that kind of an argument.

Grambling put up more points against Lamar than SHSU.

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 02:52 PM

I don't know about any first place votes until NDSU loses but should be #2 by quite a bit this week. For the 2 weeks its been a toss up between Us, Towson and UNI for 2,3,4 spots. We got the W and they didn't. EIU was quite a bit back in votes at the 5 spot while we were very close in votes. Say what you want about schedules but fact is the players don't make the schedules, can't change the schedules, and can't control some teams that should've been good not living up to what they were supposed to. All the players can do is go out and win the games. These kids have done that for 3 years straight with only 3 fcs losses 2 of them in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and 1 game to a playoff team in UCA (who beat EIU handily last year). We haven't done anything to hurt our bid for a seed this year. We have beat the teams put in front of us and that's all they can do. Like I said if we win out then there is no way we don't get #2 seed and that's all that matters. Not going to be an easy road with McNeese, rival SFA, and SELA but we should get it done and when we do we will get to stay at home for the playoffs. We lose one of those then we might have to go on the road for a game or 2. We will be fine.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Double OT to #2,3,4 EIU

1 point to YSU, who should be on a bullet train to the top 10 in most peoples polls.

And 1 TD to the Illini, who aren't a juggernaut but they aren't horrible either.

Good points. I'll keep my eye on them. The field from around 15-25 is really crowded right now, with a lot of teams that could arguably go in. I didn't end up having space for SIU, and while I wanted to sneak the Hens in at 25, I couldn't justify that either with some of the better resumes out there.

chattownmocs
October 13th, 2013, 03:02 PM
We have dominated every team put in front of us including #2 EWU. The score of that game could've been alot worse. If we would've played an FBS team that wasn't dominating other FBS teams like A&M has been we would prob have an FBS win as well. But we did put 400+ yards of offense (about 380 against their #1's) on them and 28 points (all against their #1's) and we really dominated in 2 phases yesterday but our offense (#1 scoring offense in the country BTW) sputtered a little but we still got the W. Main point is that we're still beating every team put in front of us. Fact is if we win out we will get the #2 seed. No way around it.

Put Northern Illinoise or San Diego State team on the same field as Texas A&M and they would get destroyed. Northern Illinoise has played one of the weakest schedules in FBS. San Diego State is not a very good team at all, and the only above average FCS win Eastern has is against a 4-3 Sothern Illinoise. Game for game we are about even this year with our FBS team being a top ten and our signature FCS team ranked #2. Don't see where their schedule is any better at all??

SHSU should obviously be number 2. That said, half of A&Ms "1s" on defense were suspended.

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Their prolific offense scored 14 on Lamar yesterday? Kind of a big thing to omit when you make that kind of an argument.

Grambling put up more points against Lamar than SHSU.

Yep that took us from averaging 53 points per game down to 46 points per game. Those 53 points per game included Top ten FBS and and #2 fcs. Best thing is that prolific offense does it running the freaking ball!!

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 03:05 PM
SHSU should obviously be number 2. That said, half of A&Ms "1s" on defense were suspended.

Half huh...how about 1 for half the game and 2 starters for the entire game. 1 backup true freshman for the whole game. So that's 2.5 starters suspended not half.

chattownmocs
October 13th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Half huh...how about 1 for half the game and 2 starters for the entire game. 1 backup true freshman for the whole game. So that's 2.5 starters suspended not half.

Actually 3.5

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I don't know about any first place votes until NDSU loses but should be #2 by quite a bit this week. For the 2 weeks its been a toss up between Us, Towson and UNI for 2,3,4 spots. We got the W and they didn't. EIU was quite a bit back in votes at the 5 spot while we were very close in votes. Say what you want about schedules but fact is the players don't make the schedules, can't change the schedules, and can't control some teams that should've been good not living up to what they were supposed to. All the players can do is go out and win the games. These kids have done that for 3 years straight with only 3 fcs losses 2 of them in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and 1 game to a playoff team in UCA (who beat EIU handily last year). We haven't done anything to hurt our bid for a seed this year. We have beat the teams put in front of us and that's all they can do. Like I said if we win out then there is no way we don't get #2 seed and that's all that matters. Not going to be an easy road with McNeese, rival SFA, and SELA but we should get it done and when we do we will get to stay at home for the playoffs. We lose one of those then we might have to go on the road for a game or 2. We will be fine.

Nothing you say here is in dispute with me. I don't consider the last 3 yrs. info. as overly relevant although it is a little bit I guess. My point was aimed at the #1 comment and that I don't see at this point. It sure could be true but based on what we have in front of us right now it isn't a solid case to be made.

That wasn't the point you were making in that post obviously as you stated in the opening line. However all the points you made for being a lock at #2 and a seed can be matched by several other teams in the hunt for that #2 vote right now. That is why I'm not sure SHSU is a lock for the #2 on some people's ballots. It may/may not be that way when the ballots are in as that seems debatable at this point.

SHSU is a hell of a team, others can make that claim as well and can make it strongly as well.

All you can do is beat the team on the schedule, no doubt, but that doesn't mean all scheduls are equal no matter who made them for the team and that stuff is looked at.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM

I see where you're coming from, but I'd still put more credence in a win over a bad FBS team than an OK loss to a good FBS team.

Illinois State and EKU are stronger wins than startups Incarnate Word and Houston Baptist. Austin Peay and Texas Southern are about on par.

SHSU is good either way, and like I said, I have y'all in my top ten. Things will shake out as the season progresses.

Houndawg
October 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM

@SDSU on their homecoming was a quality win, imo..

BisonFan02
October 13th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Right now, as far as the #2 spot for me, it is almost a tossup between EIU and SHSU with EIU probably getting the edge right now. EIU is NOT a team I want to see in Fargo come playoff time with the QB and weapons they have on offense.

fmrbearkat
October 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Actually 3.5
2.5 starters + 1 backup. You said half of their starting defense was out!

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I really have not been a buyer on Charleston Southern...they are 7-0 but their opponent quality has been unbelievably low. The Citadel and App State are both down, they didnt dominate either of the D2 teams they played in Shorter and North Greenville and they beat two bad FCS teams in Norfolk State and Campbell and VMI is probably in a race with PC for the worst team in the Big South. They go to Boulder this week (where they are most assuredly expected to lose), then they play a Charlotte squad that is ahead of expectations, then PC before they head for "The Gauntlet" to close the season.

Yeah, I don't think they should be ranked. The Massey Computer aggregate has them at 64 this week, which honestly, sounds about right (just my opinion, I would say they are in the 40-60 ranged in FCS scholarships schools).

They beat two non-DI's, a 1-5 FCS non-scholarship team, and the 4 FCS teams they beat are a combined 6-20. I think the two things that are getting them votes right now are 1) being 7-0 and 2) beating ASU at Boone (which looks less impressive every game ASU plays).

It reminds me of the year Jacksonville U went 10-1 were ranked and people were arguing whether they should be in the playoffs. I didn't think JU deserved to be ranked, I am so far not convinced that CSU should be either. They finish with Coastal, at G-Webb and Liberty... win two of those three and I think they would be worthy of their current ranking.

putter
October 13th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I believe that UNI has a stronger overall body of work, top 5. SIU, top 10. SDSU, on the other hand, still needs more proof on the field, top 20.

UNI has played a tough schedule, problem for them is they are now 0-2 in conference. You still have to win to deserve a high ranking and they will start to fall....well out of the top 10

Grizzlies82
October 13th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Agreed, for now I think Montana should be happy ranked in the neighborhood of #10-12. Though the next few weeks with Cal Poly, Eastern WA, and Sacramento St (road) will tell us if MT is going to be a top ten team this year. Though I don't understand the belief others have that Eastern Illinois and/or Northern Iowa deserve to be possibly ranked #2 material based on their "body of work". Both look like very good teams, yet of their wins this season their opponents are;

Eastern Illinois: San Diego St (3-3), S. Ill (4-3), Ill St (2-4), E KY (3-3), Austin Peay (0-6).
Northern Iowa: Iowa St (1-4), Drake (3-3), Northern Colorado (1-6), McNeese (5-1), S. Ill (4-3).

Each team has a nice win in the mix, though overall these are not the most impressive schedules. Eastern Illinois may deserve to be a top five rank with their 5-1 record and only a close loss to an undefeated team under their belt. On the other hand, Northern Iowa may be a contender but only one of their four wins has been impressive. Now after their two straight losses UNI probably belongs in the ranks of #10-12 like a Montana. To think UNI is still a top five team is nonsense. For now Sam Houston State has a far better claim for the #2 slot, and their game with McNeese should show if it's deserved.

superman7515
October 13th, 2013, 06:05 PM
UNI has played a tough schedule, problem for them is they are now 0-2 in conference. You still have to win to deserve a high ranking and they will start to fall....well out of the top 10

To think UNI is still a top five team is nonsense. For now Sam Houston State has a far better claim for the #2 slot, and their game with McNeese should show if it's deserved.

You guys clearly don't understand how UNI works in the rankings. Just look at last years 1-5 start, wins do not matter, haha.

Grizzlies82
October 13th, 2013, 06:15 PM
You guys clearly don't understand how UNI works in the rankings. Just look at last years 1-5 start, wins do not matter, haha.

Superman, thank you. This is the new variation on the old CAA poll bias... "Yeah, they may have lost but they lost to (fill in the blank), who is in the toughest conference ever."
Yada, yada, yada. Win your games then we can talk about.

Engineer86
October 13th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Superman, thank you. This is the new variation on the old CAA poll bias... "Yeah, they may have lost but they lost to (fill in the blank), who is in the toughest conference ever."
Yada, yada, yada. Win your games then we can talk about.

Which way is it? Don't give credit to loses to conference foes in a "tough" conference and give credit for winning in other conferences OR give credit to loses to good teams and no credit for wins against weaker teams. It just seems like people on this board want it both ways.

This is a general comment, not specific to the prior post, just that this post is one of many in that vein.

BlueHenSinfonian
October 13th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Which way is it? Don't give credit to loses to conference foes in a "tough" conference and give credit for winning in other conferences OR give credit to loses to good teams and no credit for wins against weaker teams. It just seems like people on this board want it both ways.

This is a general comment, not specific to the prior post, just that this post is one of many in that vein.

The way I view it you can rank based both on the quality of wins and losses. Using UNI as an example they have strong wins against Iowa State and McNeese State. I didn't ding them too much because of the loss to NDSU, as NDSU is the #1 team in the country. The loss to SIU is more problematic, and I dropped them quite a bit more for that one. They're still 4-2, and they have one of the best 4-2 resumes in the country. Compared to a team like Charles Southern with no losses, but without any really high profile wins, I'd still rank UNI higher. Compared to a team like Fordham, who has no losses, but has several high quality wins vs. Temple, Villanova, and Lehigh, I'd rank Fordham higher.

robsnotes4u
October 13th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Double OT to #2,3,4 EIU

Good points, and also the SHSU Lamar game. I think there are a lot of good teams in the top 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ValleyTalk
October 13th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Here are the highlights of the YSU vs. Illinois State game. Sometimes seeing the highlights can give you a better gauge of how good, or bad, a team really is. In this case, you see that YSU is pretty good, and Illinois State on defense is just awful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5qrZdzTzE8

ursus arctos horribilis
October 13th, 2013, 07:37 PM
The way I view it you can rank based both on the quality of wins and losses. Using UNI as an example they have strong wins against Iowa State and McNeese State. I didn't ding them too much because of the loss to NDSU, as NDSU is the #1 team in the country. The loss to SIU is more problematic, and I dropped them quite a bit more for that one. They're still 4-2, and they have one of the best 4-2 resumes in the country. Compared to a team like Charles Southern with no losses, but without any really high profile wins, I'd still rank UNI higher. Compared to a team like Fordham, who has no losses, but has several high quality wins vs. Temple, Villanova, and Lehigh, I'd rank Fordham higher.

I'm in this group with the blue person.

Squealofthepig
October 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Right now, as far as the #2 spot for me, it is almost a tossup between EIU and SHSU with EIU probably getting the edge right now. EIU is NOT a team I want to see in Fargo come playoff time with the QB and weapons they have on offense.

I know this is minutiae in voting ultimately, but that's actually why I have SHSU over EIU (2 over 3) - EIU has a scary offense and on any given day can beat anyone; I view SHSU as much better rounded and also has a better resume in my mind.

Overall, I think if I was evaluating two perfectly identical teams, except one was more one-dimensional, I'd probably rank the well-rounded one higher - but that's me.

bjtheflamesfan
October 13th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I generally rank based on the previous year for the first few weeks and then about this point I try to stick to the current year. When I look at the current year, I look at first, the quality of the schedule. take Charleston Southern for instance. They are currently 7-0 on the year. The thing is, their wins are over 2 D2 schools (Shorter and North Greenville), 2 below average FCS schools this year (Norfolk State and Campbell), 2 down SoCon schools (The Citadel and App State) and VMI. That overall makes their 7-0 a lot less impressive. Also, I look at the quality of the result. If youre 7-0 and you have a schedule like that and you don't dominate teams like NSU, Campbell or the D2s, that makes you look more like a "paper tiger" at 7-0 than if you dominate the below average teams and add in a quality win, much like Eastern Illinois, who looks like they will move into the #2 or #3 spot when the AGS poll comes out tomorrow. In most cases though, when ranking teams up and down, if you are a top 5 team and you lose to an unranked or 20-25 ranked team, you'll probably drop a significant bit compared to say losing a top 5 vs top 5 or top 10 vs. top 10 matchup.

BisonFan02
October 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I know this is minutiae in voting ultimately, but that's actually why I have SHSU over EIU (2 over 3) - EIU has a scary offense and on any given day can beat anyone; I view SHSU as much better rounded and also has a better resume in my mind.

Overall, I think if I was evaluating two perfectly identical teams, except one was more one-dimensional, I'd probably rank the well-rounded one higher - but that's me.

They do? EIU with a close loss to a ranked FBS team, FBS win over San Diego St. In-State wins over a very good SIU team and an underachieving Ill St. team...and beatdowns of EKU and Austin Peay. Outside of SHSU's win over EWU, what jumps out at you (close win over Lamar?). I agree with you that SHSU is probably more well rounded on D, but I don't necessarily agree with the better resume.

Eastern Ill:

Sat, Aug 31

@
San Diego St (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/21/san-diego-state-aztecs)

W
40-19 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332430021)

1-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 7

@
S Illinois (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/79/southern-illinois-salukis)

W
40-37 OT (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332500079)

2-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 14

vs
Illinois St (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2287/illinois-state-redbirds)

W
57-24 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332572197)

3-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 21

@
N Illinois (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2459/northern-illinois-huskies)

L
43-39 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332642459)

3-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 28

vs
E Kentucky (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2198/eastern-kentucky-colonels)

W
42-7 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332712197)

4-1 (1-0)

Thu, Oct 10

@
Austin Peay (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2046/austin-peay-governors)

W
63-7 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332832046)

5-1 (2-0)

Sam Houston State:

Sat, Aug 31

vs
Houston Baptist (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2277/houston-baptist-huskies)

W
74-0 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=332432534)

1-0 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 7

@
#7 Texas A&M (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/245/texas-a&m-aggies)

L
65-28 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332500245)

1-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 14

vs
Texas Southern (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2640/texas-southern-tigers)

W
55-17 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332572534)

2-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 21

vs
Incarnate Word (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2916/incarnate-word-cardinals)

W
52-21 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=332642534)

3-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 28

vs
E Washington (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/331/eastern-washington-eagles)

W
49-34 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=332712534)

4-1 (0-0)

Sat, Oct 12

vs
Lamar (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2320/lamar-cardinals)

W
14-3 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?id=332852534)

5-1 (1-0)