PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Week 7 Rankings/ Week 8 Predictions

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 08:55 PM
1. Wofford - Dug themselves into a real hole in the first quarter but did well to get back into it.
2. Samford - Sammy puts another crack in the rock and gets their first win over App. since joining the SoCon
3. Georgia Southern - Improvising reasonably well with all the injuries, but still making too many costly mistakes
4. Chattanooga - Takes care of business against Furman
5. The Citadel - Arguably the best team of the bottom 5
6. Furman - At least they don't seem to be much worse than last year.
7. App. State - The nightmare continues
8. Elon - got ran off the field in the last 3 quarters. Doesn't move up after this week.
9. Western Carolina - Very underwhelming performance at Auburn.

App. @ Furman - Game of the week, battle for sixth place xeyebrowx
Chattanooga @ Elon - Chatty by 20
Wofford @ Western Carolina ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Cit, Samford, and Georgia Southern off for the week.

Question of the week...will the bottom five win any games against the top 4?

catamount man
October 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM
1-Chattanooga
2-Samford
3-Wofford
4-The Citadel
5-Elon
6-Furman
7-Western Carolina
**-Georgia Southern
**-App State
(GSU AND APP NOT COUNTED DUE TO FBS TRANSITION)

October 19th picks:
Furman 21 App 20 (Just think App now wants to win the JUG)
Wofford 55 WCU 12 (All we can do is look forward to 2014 and beyond)
Chatt 41 Elon 21 (UTC takes one step closer to winning the SoCon and the auto bid)

ASU_Fanatic
October 12th, 2013, 09:20 PM
1-Samford
2-Chattanooga
3-Wofford
4-Georgia Southern
5-Citadel
6-App State
7-Elon
8-Furman
9-Western

Furman 17 APP 24
Wofford 41 Western 23
Chattanooga 38 ​Elon 26

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I don't really know what to think.

Everytime Furman has what I think is an embarrassing loss, the team we lost to goes out and gives Wofford the fight of their lives, and everyone seems to think Wofford is pretty good.

In any event, the team is better but I'm not sure how much one can expect when you are starting a fourth stringer at quarterback. I am encouraged at where the program is, though. Defense only has two seniors on the two deep, and they have looked strong all season.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 09:31 PM
1-Samford
2-Chattanooga
3-Wofford
4-Georgia Southern
5-Citadel
6-App State
7-Elon
8-Furman
9-Western

Furman 17 APP 24
Wofford 41 Western 23
Chattanooga 38 ​Elon 26

Chatty above GSU and Wofford? Why?

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM
1. Wofford - Dug themselves into a real hole in the first quarter but did well to get back into it.
2. Samford - Sammy puts another crack in the rock and gets their first win over App. since joining the SoCon
3. Georgia Southern - Improvising reasonably well with all the injuries, but still making too many costly mistakes
4. Chattanooga - Takes care of business against Furman
5. The Citadel - Arguably the best team of the bottom 5
6. Furman - At least they don't seem to be much worse than last year.
7. App. State - The nightmare continues
8. Elon - got ran off the field in the last 3 quarters. Doesn't move up after this week.
9. Western Carolina - Very underwhelming performance at Auburn.

App. @ Furman - Game of the week, battle for sixth place xeyebrowx
Chattanooga @ Elon - Chatty by 20
Wofford @ Western Carolina ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Cit, Samford, and Georgia Southern off for the week.

Question of the week...will the bottom five win any games against the top 4?

If Furman can get Reese Hannon back, I think they'll knock off at least one of those top four teams, probably Wofford.

The Paladin defense has been extremely stingy on defense, particularly against the run. The primary issue is getting more consistent play on offense. Furman still has yet to play with their projected starting offense. Once guys get healthy, and we can get a little more consistency, I think they'll surprise some of those late season teams.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM

Chattanooga is clearly better than Georgia Southern, it isn't even that close.

Eagle22
October 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM

Everytime Furman has what I think is an embarrassing loss, the team we lost to goes out and gives Wofford the fight of their lives, and everyone seems to think Wofford is pretty good.

In any event, the team is better but I'm not sure how much one can expect when you are starting a fourth stringer at quarterback. I am encouraged at where the program is, though. Defense only has two seniors on the two deep, and they have looked strong all season.

After going through what appears to be the top half of the league, I think Wofford is good enough to finish #1 in the conference, but probably won't.

1. Samford
2. Wofford
3. Georgia Southern
4. Chattanooga
5. Citadel
6. Furman
7. Appalachian State
8. Elon
9. Western Carolina

I think 6-8 are interchangable, and frankly maybe 1-4 as well. I would have liked to have seen us play the second half @ Samford with the same lineup and team composition we rolled out there today (GSU-Samford 2nd quarter was a glimpse of that offensive look), might have had a different outcome.

Lot of teams with depth issues and injury woes ... GSU is playing a lot of youth the last two games, and they're starting to show in spurts that they can grow into finding their own place on the team.

ASU_Fanatic
October 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Because I think they're better than GSU and Wofford. 2-4 was a crapshoot for me, but I give them the edge honestly. I know they beat GSU but still. Wofford isn't that great either, entire conference is just horrible

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 09:40 PM

The reason I like Wofford is...

1. They have the best defense in the conference. They slowed us down when we had our fullbacks healthy and didn't have the benefit of the mistakes that we made against the Citadel and Samford.

2. The best predictor of the recent future is the recent past. Wofford is the only eligible team that has won the SoCon title in the last 8 seasons.

3. I'm still not fully convinced that Samford is a better team than they were last year. They seem to have dropped off some on defense.

And I agree with your other post. At times this year Furman has played well enough to be in the top 3 this year.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 09:45 PM
The reason I like Wofford is...

1. They have the best defense in the conference. They slowed us down when we had our fullbacks healthy and didn't have the benefit of the mistakes that we made against the Citadel and Samford.

2. The best predictor of the recent future is the recent past. Wofford is the only eligible team that has won the SoCon title in the last 8 seasons.

3. I'm still not fully convinced that Samford is a better team than they were last year. They seem to have dropped off some on defense.

And I agree with your other post. At times this year Furman has played well enough to be in the top 3 this year.

Chattanooga has the best defense in the conference, easily. I love your crusade for wofford, but GSU ran 13 different ball carriers against wofford. That's almost as big a mistake as the citadel only running it 25 times against y'all.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 09:54 PM

Hard to argue with that kind of logic. xlolx

Chattanooga has the best defense in the conference, easily. I love your crusade for wofford, but GSU ran 13 different ball carriers against wofford. That's almost as big a mistake as the citadel only running it 25 times against y'all.

13? Where does that come from? It's pretty typical to have many different ball carriers in an option offense, and many may only have one or 2 carries. Wofford also has a lot of guys with rushing attempts.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 12th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I was 6-1 last week. Georgia Southern avoided losing to The Citadel. Here's is where I have at it at this point.

1) Samford - had the better game today
2) Wofford - had a slobberknocker against Elon
3) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - avenges loss vs. The Citadel
4) Chattanooga - knocks off Furman to stay in place
5) The Citadel - beats Appalachian State at home
6) Appalachian State (ineligible) - Satterfield is officially nominated for the Buddy Kent Hackett award.
7) Elon - unable to hold a lead against Wofford.
8) Furman - the bottom is falling out.
9) Western Carolina - burninated by Auburn
Mercer - wins their second conference game against Valparaiso
VMI - unable to defeat Charleston Southern
ETSU - volleyball is still undefeated in conference play

Predictions
Chattanooga @ Elon - Mocs takedown resurgent Phoenix
Wofford @ Western Carolina - Catamounts no match for Terriers
Appalachian State @ Furman - Paladins find a way to lose at home to ASU.
VMI @ Presbyterian - Keydets finally defeat a Big South team
Carnegie Mellon @ Mercer - Bears continue to roll at home.
ETSU - Is it 2015 yet?

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 09:58 PM

13? Where does that come from? It's pretty typical to have many different ball carriers in an option offense, and many may only have one or 2 carries. Wofford also has a lot of guys with rushing attempts.

It came from the boxscore. 13 guys running the ball in a non blowout is utterly idiotic and uncalled for.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 10:02 PM
It came from the boxscore. 13 guys running the ball in a non blowout is utterly idiotic and uncalled for.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332572747

I counted 11 to Wofford's 9. One of those listed as having a carry is a defensive lineman. Not sure what's happening there, the ESPN box score can be glitchy.

Like I said, a lot of guys touch the ball in an option offense and many may only get it once or twice. 13 wouldn't be an absurd number for an option team either way.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 10:07 PM

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=332572747

I counted 11 to Wofford's 9. One of those listed as having a carry is a defensive lineman. Not sure what's happening there, the ESPN box score can be glitchy.

Like I said, a lot of guys touch the ball in an option offense and many may only get it once or twice. 13 wouldn't be an absurd number for an option team either way.

If you have that many guys worthy of running the ball in a close game, why the hell are you guys whining about injuries to running backs?

SU DOG
October 12th, 2013, 10:19 PM
No stats to quote, just my homer observation, BUT our guys are beginning to play together on the defensive side. Samford now has one of the better defenses in the conference, and IMO, can possibly be the best before it is all over with.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM

No stats to quote, just my homer observation, BUT our guys are beginning to play together on the defensive side. Samford now has one of the better defenses in the conference, and IMO, can possibly be the best before it is all over with.

You are in a state of utter delusion.

SU DOG
October 12th, 2013, 10:26 PM
You are in a state of utter delusion.

YOU, of all people, are calling someone else to be in delusion. What a LAUGH!!!

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 10:33 PM

YOU, of all people, are calling someone else to be in delusion. What a LAUGH!!!

Your defense might be as good as Chattanooga's at 2 or 3 positions tops. Chattanooga's defense is better at LB, DL, and in the secondary.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 10:39 PM
If you have that many guys worthy of running the ball in a close game, why the hell are you guys whining about injuries to running backs?

1. We were considerably healthier overall for Wofford than we were for Samford and El Cid, as I already said.

2. Having lots of guys with carries does not mean that you have great depth. Just like when you run an air raid offense you will have a lot of people with receptions, except the slots don't have to catch passes and only have to take pitches and tosses. It's not like you plan who is going to get the carry many times, the QB makes reads and can decide to give, keep, or pitch.

3. The problem area on our offense has been the fullbacks and offensive linemen, not the slotbacks. The slotbacks are the people with usually only 1 or 2 carries.

CID1990
October 12th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Your defense might be as good as Chattanooga's at 2 or 3 positions tops. Chattanooga's defense is better at LB, DL, and in the secondary.

Relax, Erkel.

Samford is far and away the better team and they are going to whip Chatty up and down the field.

BUT

Chatty is still the #2 team and that's a damn sight better off than you guys have since something like 1985 or so

PaladinFan
October 12th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Weird season to say the least.

I don't really see a huge difference between the "top" and the "bottom" of the conference. It really is not as though any particular team is taking the conference by storm with the possible exception of the Fightin Summerlins in Birmingham. It's like a conference of mediocre football teams this year, with some teams just being less mediocre.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2013, 02:26 AM
Well, I will say this about Wofford, the thing that's holding us back currently is a lack of identity and continuity on offense. We've had 3 different quarterbacks put forth their case for being the starter, and 6 games in that's as much a blessing as it is a curse.

With that said our defense is rock solid. Yeah, we let up about 400 yards of offense today, and that's a problem. I will throw credit at Elon in that their players played the best game they possibly could and that this loss is on the coaches. They were having their way with the passing game but for some reason the coaches wanted to run the ball. Had Elon stuck to the hurry up game that they did for the first and last possessions of the first half, they would have easily hung 50 or 60 on us. But they didn't so they wouldn't.

Now, normally you could say that's something to hold against Wofford's defense, but the thing is that we were depleted defensively compared to last week. Our 3 year starting safety was out with a thumb injury and we were down half of our linebackers (we had to burn a redshirt), so we were kind of at a disadvantage and Elon took advantage of it. They played a very solid game, no turnovers, no sacks allowed. Our defense makes plays kind of like how North Dakota State does as a unit. They may win ugly, but they find a way to do all they can to win. Today's game was really fun to watch and epitomized that.

If we find our offensive rhythm early, there's no way Samford can beat us honestly. It took us 2 quarters to find our rhythm offensively an we still scored 30 something points.

Overall this game will do wonders for us as we kind of needed a wake-up call. We came out flat, but we fought like champs. You don't usually commend your team for beating a 2-4 team, but we've been down less to worse teams and couldn't dig deep to pull ourselves together to win. That wasn't the case today. We have a lot of character, and yeah we played poorly for the first 2 quarters, but the effort of the last 2 quarters makes me damn proud of my school's team.

The Cats
October 13th, 2013, 09:06 AM
1. Samford
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
4. The Citadel
5. Elon
6. Furman
7. Western Carolina
^Georgia Southern - not eligible
^App. State - not eligible

conference games
App State. at Furman
Wofford at Western Carolina
Chattanooga at Elon

bye week - the Citadel, Samford, Georgia Southern

eaglewraith
October 13th, 2013, 11:30 AM

Is that what the scoreboard told you?

chattownmocs
October 13th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Is that what the scoreboard told you?

That's whats the season tells me. A 2 point ref aided home win does not get you a higher power ranking.

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Well, I will say this about Wofford, the thing that's holding us back currently is a lack of identity and continuity on offense. We've had 3 different quarterbacks put forth their case for being the starter, and 6 games in that's as much a blessing as it is a curse.

With that said our defense is rock solid. Yeah, we let up about 400 yards of offense today, and that's a problem. I will throw credit at Elon in that their players played the best game they possibly could and that this loss is on the coaches. They were having their way with the passing game but for some reason the coaches wanted to run the ball. Had Elon stuck to the hurry up game that they did for the first and last possessions of the first half, they would have easily hung 50 or 60 on us. But they didn't so they wouldn't.

Now, normally you could say that's something to hold against Wofford's defense, but the thing is that we were depleted defensively compared to last week. Our 3 year starting safety was out with a thumb injury and we were down half of our linebackers (we had to burn a redshirt), so we were kind of at a disadvantage and Elon took advantage of it. They played a very solid game, no turnovers, no sacks allowed. Our defense makes plays kind of like how North Dakota State does as a unit. They may win ugly, but they find a way to do all they can to win. Today's game was really fun to watch and epitomized that.

If we find our offensive rhythm early, there's no way Samford can beat us honestly. It took us 2 quarters to find our rhythm offensively an we still scored 30 something points.

Overall this game will do wonders for us as we kind of needed a wake-up call. We came out flat, but we fought like champs. You don't usually commend your team for beating a 2-4 team, but we've been down less to worse teams and couldn't dig deep to pull ourselves together to win. That wasn't the case today. We have a lot of character, and yeah we played poorly for the first 2 quarters, but the effort of the last 2 quarters makes me damn proud of my school's team.

Well, that and rain.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Well, that and rain.

you're boring.

And pardon me if I'm see that UNC Charlotte (who lost to a sub-D1 team yesterday) can score a half a hundred on GW (who I don't think will make the playoffs), but Wofford can't score any and think "hmmm something must have been up that game"

walliver
October 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM
1) Samford - They are taking care of business
2) Wofford - The Terriers play well when they want to, but suffer from lapses of intensity.
3) GSU - their schedule gets easier from here, except for UF
4) Chattanooga - To be the man who have to beat the man. The mocs do well against lesser competition.

... big gap here ...

5-8 are interchangable
5) ASU - Yosef has put down his jug of corn licker and picked up his hash pipe - it's that kind of year. They still could surprise a few people in the second half of the season.
6) Elon - definitely a first half team. If they can play a complete game they can be formidable.
7) The Citadel - they still have VMI to look forward to.
8) Furman - their injuries will eventually heal, but it will take a while

9) Western - waiting for VMI to return

Mercer - back in the winning column
VMI - keeps CSU's unbeaten streak alive
ETSU - chillin'

This week:
Appalachian at Furman - This series used to be one of the Big 3 games in the SoCon. This year it isn't. App should win, but I pick FU in an upset 17-14.
Chattanooga at Elon - Chatty rolls 42-20
Wofford at Western - Final score will be closer than many expect, but Terriers pull out a 35-24 win.

VMI at PC - both teams do everything possible to lose, but VMI doesn't even do that well, and wins 24-22
Mercer rolls over the Melons 42-31

FCSfan
October 13th, 2013, 09:09 PM
1. Samford....by far most consistent team thus far. Best offense in the league.
2. Wofford....offense is Jekyll and Hyde but undefeated in conference. Best defense in league.
3. Chattanooga....as talented as anyone. Still have to prove they're not UTC of old.
4. Ga Southern....not the final Socon scenario they envisioned.
5. Elon....beat the purple
6. Furman....beat the lesser bulldogs
7. Citadel....beat #'s 8 and 9
8. App State....no words
9. Western Carolina....hopefully heading in right direction

winners this week:
Terriers
Mountaineers
Mocs

*****can ANYBODY explain to me whether chattownmocs is just a drama boy instigator or just plain dumb???

ElCid
October 13th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I have been faithful in keeping our dearly departing brethren in the polls, but I will just asterisk them from now on. Can't really judge them fairly against the other teams from here on out as they are clearly on another page and no, that is not a criticism, just an honest observation.

1. Samford - Continues to get it done. They won this week on the road, but they have three more road games in a row. Can they last?
2. Wofford - They have had good games and bad games. Attribute whatever you want to those. Just when I think I figured out how good they are, they go show us again how inconsistent they are. Yeah they won, but these rat dogs are going to get caught while licking their crotch one of these days.
3. Chattanooga - Everyone likes to bash our favorite poster, but Chatty will probably be 7-2 heading into Wofford and Samford in Nov. They looked good against a determined but weak Furman.
4. The Citadel - What I can't figure out is how we only lost by 7 points when Ga So had the ball nearly 40 minutes. We were 1 of 10 on 3rd downs. That is pitiful. And the reason for the tight score had more to do with Ga So than with us. Yeah we had a big play on O and a real lucky play on D that both scored, but there was just something a little off with GA So. I will give us a little credit for sticking with it, but Ga So had some other game plan than putting us away. They are a good team injuries or not, and with our continued struggles on O, they should have buried us. Also, The Citadel simply can't count on the big play to bail it out and that seems to be our MO.
5. Furman - Got shut down pretty good by Chatty.
6. Elon - I wanted to put Elon at #5 for sticking Wofford early, but they just did not have the gumption to keep a lead or punch it in when needed, so they get penalized for general lack of will.
7. Western Carolina - Will they win again this year?

*Georgia Southern - not a real player
*App. State - not a real player

Appalachian at Furman - Should be close but I will go with Furman at home and App looking ahead for pre-Sun Belt match up with Ga So - 28-24
Chattanooga at Elon - Chatty rolls again - 38-17
Wofford at Western - Wofford might have been sleep walking this past week before waking up. Do they slip again? Nah, but they may take a nap - 34-23

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2013, 09:40 PM
1. Samford....by far most consistent team thus far. Best offense in the league.
2. Wofford....offense is Jekyll and Hyde but undefeated in conference. Best defense in league.
3. Chattanooga....as talented as anyone. Still have to prove they're not UTC of old.
4. Ga Southern....not the final Socon scenario they envisioned.
5. Elon....beat the purple
6. Furman....beat the lesser bulldogs
7. Citadel....beat #'s 8 and 9
8. App State....no words
9. Western Carolina....hopefully heading in right direction

winners this week:
Terriers
Mountaineers
Mocs

*****can ANYBODY explain to me whether chattownmocs is just a drama boy instigator or just plain dumb???

I would argue that Chattanooga's defense is better than Wofford...but I might be biased.

As for chattown, I guess it doesn't matter if he is an instigator or a moron because, either way, there more than ample amounts of posters on here willing to give him the attention he craves.

FCSfan
October 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I would argue that Chattanooga's defense is better than Wofford...but I might be biased.

As for chattown, I guess it doesn't matter if he is an instigator or a moron because, either way, there more than ample amounts of posters on here willing to give him the attention he craves.

Might be a good argument.
I think you're right on the "craving" issue

PaladinFan
October 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM
you're boring.

And pardon me if I'm see that UNC Charlotte (who lost to a sub-D1 team yesterday) can score a half a hundred on GW (who I don't think will make the playoffs), but Wofford can't score any and think "hmmm something must have been up that game"

Just so long as you realize that, according to you, the only two things that can stop Wofford's offense are Wofford and the heavens.

Reign of Terrier
October 13th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Just so long as you realize that, according to you, the only two things that can stop Wofford's offense are Wofford and the heavens.

I consider the heavens answer consistent with that of wofford's offense stopping itself.

We've rotated 3 QBs in this year and still none have stepped up as the clear-cut starter, partially because we didn't have consistency last year either. If that doesn't tell you we have a lack of consistency I don't know what else is.

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2013, 08:10 AM
You know, it just kind of dawned on me that this is the last time Furman and App State may ever play.

Both programs are not where they once were, but it was not that long ago that the Furman/App State rivalry was among the most competitive and highly contentious series in FCS football. Those games from the early to mid-2000s were epic, generally included two top 5 or top 10 teams, and more than a few times had huge conference and national championship implications.

In my opinion, this is the first of the great "farewell games" between the former big 3 teams. This will be (I think) the 44th game in a series that started in 1971.

SpeedkingATL
October 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
The Ranking:

1) Samford - Sammy put a whooping on the Apps on both sides of the ball. They also showed a little attitude by scoring a final touchdown with 22 seconds remaining which could help them in the polls. Pretty complete team and maybe the best in the SoCon.
2) UTC - Mocs continue to play well with defense starting to live up to their lofty reputation. If the offense can continue to improve they might make some noise and actually win a big game sometime against a contender.
3) Wofford - Ayers troops just keep plugging along and capable of beating anyone in the SoCon.
4) GaSo - Injuries and offensive tinkering have kept the Eagles from reaching their potential. Still a dangerous team in a transition year and prepared to be a spoiler.
5) THE Citadel - The best of the lower tier by virtue of their defeat of the Apps 2 weeks ago.
6) App State - They rank this high because the teams below have done basically nothing.
7) Furman - Why not??
8) Elon - Thankful Whee is still in the SoCon and that they aren't in the CAA this year.
9) WCU - Cashed a nice paycheck this week. New jockstraps for everyone!

UTC @ Elon - A chance for the Mocs to really get the offense humming. UTC 31 Elon 10.
Wofford @ WCU - Wofford controls the ball, the clock and the scoreboard. Ankle-biters 38 Whee 13
App State @ Furman - Interesting to see how App reacts to their best player moving from the dorm to Watauga County Jail. Hard game to pick as neither team has shown much positive this season. Since Furman wears purple it will be; App 13 Furple 10.

GATA
October 14th, 2013, 07:03 PM
The idea that Chattanooga is better than GSU is a joke. Disregarding the fact that the juggernaut program from Tenn has been beaten 3 years in a row by a clearly superior program.. you ALL know they're going to completely fall apart the 2nd half of the season and miss the playoffs. You keep falling for the same UTC con year after year. The ultimate paper champion...I'm waiting for them to actually accomplish something.

Why should I have any faith in a team which is clearly the most talented in the country but hasn't made the playoffs since Abe Lincoln was in office? There is no cure for that kind of a loser mentality/ program. UTC = a glorified Elon. Wait...Elon made the playoffs this century...

chattownmocs
October 14th, 2013, 07:56 PM

The idea that Chattanooga is better than GSU is a joke. Disregarding the fact that the juggernaut program from Tenn has been beaten 3 years in a row by a clearly superior program.. you ALL know they're going to completely fall apart the 2nd half of the season and miss the playoffs. You keep falling for the same UTC con year after year. The ultimate paper champion...I'm waiting for them to actually accomplish something.

Why should I have any faith in a team which is clearly the most talented in the country but hasn't made the playoffs since Abe Lincoln was in office? There is no cure for that kind of a loser mentality/ program. UTC = a glorified Elon. Wait...Elon made the playoffs this century...

Its not even close dude. You beat them, at home, with terrible officiating in your favor, by 2 points. And after that, you scrubs are still behind them in the standings. Georgia Southern is the paper champs. They are the ones who were picked first and now have literally no way to finish there and we are only halfway through the season.

T-Dog
October 14th, 2013, 08:24 PM
You know, it just kind of dawned on me that this is the last time Furman and App State may ever play.

Both programs are not where they once were, but it was not that long ago that the Furman/App State rivalry was among the most competitive and highly contentious series in FCS football. Those games from the early to mid-2000s were epic, generally included two top 5 or top 10 teams, and more than a few times had huge conference and national championship implications.

In my opinion, this is the first of the great "farewell games" between the former big 3 teams. This will be (I think) the 44th game in a series that started in 1971.

Yep. I do wish we won a few more back in the day so I could make this sig even more beautiful.

But I'll just settle for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmiY0wAaOo

seantaylor
October 15th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Chatty rated over GSU is a joke. GSU is playing without a third of our team, has not lost at home, and has played the two best Socon teams on the road. Chatty has done exactly what?

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Yep. I do wish we won a few more back in the day so I could make this sig even more beautiful.

But I'll just settle for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmiY0wAaOo

Joking aside, App may not be playing in the SunBelt because of that play right there. Martin goes into the endzone, ASU never sees a national title in 2005.

Actually, we can just blame Western Carolina. Furman played a road game in week 1 against a top 20 Jacksonville State team while WCU tuned up against Mars Hill. The Cats surprised Furman in Cullowhee in what was just a miserable performance by the Paladins. That loss gave App State a better SoCon record and a high seed, despite Furman having already beaten the Apps in Greenville. Furman has to play App State on the road in the semis instead of in Greenville, where there would not have been an ice patch and zero chance Furman would have lost the game. :)

In any event, that was a heckuva football game. In no reality will I ever admit that the national title game in 2005 was played in Chattanooga. The two best teams in the country met in Boone in the semifinals that year.

fc97
October 15th, 2013, 07:39 AM
The Ranking:

1) Samford - Sammy put a whooping on the Apps on both sides of the ball. They also showed a little attitude by scoring a final touchdown with 22 seconds remaining which could help them in the polls. Pretty complete team and maybe the best in the SoCon.
2) UTC - Mocs continue to play well with defense starting to live up to their lofty reputation. If the offense can continue to improve they might make some noise and actually win a big game sometime against a contender.
3) Wofford - Ayers troops just keep plugging along and capable of beating anyone in the SoCon.
4) GaSo - Injuries and offensive tinkering have kept the Eagles from reaching their potential. Still a dangerous team in a transition year and prepared to be a spoiler.
5) THE Citadel - The best of the lower tier by virtue of their defeat of the Apps 2 weeks ago.
6) App State - They rank this high because the teams below have done basically nothing.
7) Furman - Why not??
8) Elon - Thankful Whee is still in the SoCon and that they aren't in the CAA this year.
9) WCU - Cashed a nice paycheck this week. New jockstraps for everyone!

UTC @ Elon - A chance for the Mocs to really get the offense humming. UTC 31 Elon 10.
Wofford @ WCU - Wofford controls the ball, the clock and the scoreboard. Ankle-biters 38 Whee 13
App State @ Furman - Interesting to see how App reacts to their best player moving from the dorm to Watauga County Jail. Hard game to pick as neither team has shown much positive this season. Since Furman wears purple it will be; App 13 Furple 10.

i'll take the swipes at elon mainly because our coaching staff stinks to high heaven.

but come on, beating furman doesn't warrant being ranked ahead? and plus, saying we've done nothing indicates we're getting our tails handed to us. the app and wofford games, despite losses, were winnable games.

SpeedkingATL
October 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM
i'll take the swipes at elon mainly because our coaching staff stinks to high heaven.

but come on, beating furman doesn't warrant being ranked ahead? and plus, saying we've done nothing indicates we're getting our tails handed to us. the app and wofford games, despite losses, were winnable games.
Not really a swipe at Elon. but the performance of the 6-9 teams is pretty poor and you can rank them pretty much any way you want. I believe Whee is the only one without a D-1 win so I would keep them in the 9 slot and rank App ahead of Elon only because they squeezed out a win over them on the road.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 15th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joking aside, App may not be playing in the SunBelt because of that play right there. Martin goes into the endzone, ASU never sees a national title in 2005.

They arguably got more help form GSU firing Mike Sewak. If that doesn't happen Armanti Edwards ends up at Georgia Southern.

eaglewraith
October 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM
They arguably got more help form GSU firing Mike Sewak. If that doesn't happen Armanti Edwards ends up at Georgia Southern.

And you could probably say they got more help from us that year since we knocked off Furman when they were #1, which setup the conditions for Furman to go to App.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
And you could probably say they got more help from us that year since we knocked off Furman when they were #1, which setup the conditions for Furman to go to App.

The game in Statesboro was a big one, but let me state the obvious. It was a far greater sin to lose on the road in Cullowhee than lose on the road in Statesboro.

App finished 8-3 as compared to Furman 9-2, but Furman's two losses were against FCS schools while App had lost to Furman and (I think) Kansas and LSU.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM

You won by three against a team that was starting its fourth string quarterback. Two of Elon's scores came directly off turnovers by the quarterback, one of which (the pick six) was the first pass the guy had thrown all season. I can assure you that a fully healthy Furman team would have run Elon out of the building (much like they did last season).

For what its worth, I still have Furman ranked behind Elon. You guys won the game.

fc97
October 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM
You won by three against a team that was starting its fourth string quarterback. Two of Elon's scores came directly off turnovers by the quarterback, one of which (the pick six) was the first pass the guy had thrown all season. I can assure you that a fully healthy Furman team would have run Elon out of the building (much like they did last season).

For what its worth, I still have Furman ranked behind Elon. You guys won the game.

again, a win is a win. we were also without 5 starters in the game.

T-Dog
October 15th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I was at the App St/Furman semifinal, first row on the 5-yard line looking directly at that play. There was no patch of ice. There wasn't a single patch of ice on the field at that time. All the ice on the field had been cleared off before the game and the sun was shining (game started at Noon).

dungeonjoe
October 15th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I was at the App St/Furman semifinal, first row on the 5-yard line looking directly at that play. There was no patch of ice. There wasn't a single patch of ice on the field at that time. All the ice on the field had been cleared off before the game and the sun was shining (game started at Noon).I believe OL FU's drink of choice in the Crapsville bar after that game was the Ingle Martini... dry, with no ice. You could have a sip and slip down for no reason.

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2013, 12:43 PM
I was at the App St/Furman semifinal, first row on the 5-yard line looking directly at that play. There was no patch of ice. There wasn't a single patch of ice on the field at that time. All the ice on the field had been cleared off before the game and the sun was shining (game started at Noon).

For whatever reason, it's easier to believe that Martin, who was arguably the best athlete in the FCS at the time and an extremely good runner, did something other than just fall down.

kdinva
October 15th, 2013, 02:10 PM
App State. 24 at Furman 27
Wofford 34 at Western Carolina 17
Chattanooga 28 at Elon 14

PaladinFan
October 15th, 2013, 02:55 PM
App State. 24 at Furman 27
Wofford 34 at Western Carolina 17
Chattanooga 28 at Elon 14

If we can score 27, I'll wager we'll beat App by more than 3.

My guess is first team to 20 wins.

gomocs82
October 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM
1-Samford
2-Wofford
3-UTC
4-Citadel
5-Elon
6-Furman
7-Western Carolina

FCSfan
October 15th, 2013, 07:29 PM
For whatever reason, it's easier to believe that Martin, who was arguably the best athlete in the FCS at the time and an extremely good runner, did something other than just fall down.

Martin one of the best athletes in the FCS? Seriously???
He wasn't even the best on his team.
Put down the crack pipe Mr paladin

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Martin one of the best athletes in the FCS? Seriously???
He wasn't even the best on his team.
Put down the crack pipe Mr paladin

Yes, seriously.

Martin was a 6'5, 230 lbs quarterback that could run a 4.5 40. He was an all american at two positions, and could throw and punt the football out of the stadium. He was the quarterback on arguably the second most prolific offense in SoCon history (behind App's 2007 team).

I absolutely think he's one of the best athletes I've seen play in the SoCon, and most certainly was one of the top athletes in the county in 2005. In my book it is Foster, Edwards, and Martin in terms of overall athleticism. They are the top.

blueballs
October 16th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Yes, seriously.

Martin was a 6'5, 230 lbs quarterback that could run a 4.5 40. He was an all american at two positions, and could throw and punt the football out of the stadium. He was the quarterback on arguably the second most prolific offense in SoCon history (behind App's 2007 team).

I absolutely think he's one of the best athletes I've seen play in the SoCon, and most certainly was one of the top athletes in the county in 2005. In my book it is Foster, Edwards, and Martin in terms of overall athleticism. They are the top.

The 1998 and 1999 GSU offense would like a word with you.

Martin was a great athlete. He should have been starting at UF but got caught up in a coaching change. Furman was darned lucky to have him.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2013, 06:39 AM
The 1998 and 1999 GSU offense would like a word with you.

Martin was a great athlete. He should have been starting at UF but got caught up in a coaching change. Furman was darned lucky to have him.

I certainly agree GSU had some great offenses. I looked at the numbers this morning, and the 2007 App team and 2005 Furman team are first and second in conference history in total yardage. Now, GSU did have some teams that would average more yards per game or perhaps more points, but those were the two offenses that put up the most total yardage.

The 2005 Furman team averaged right at 470 yards per contest of offense. What was truly staggering about that number, IMO, is that Furman averaged 247 ypg rushing and 223 ypg passing. I don't think I realized it at the time that I was watching basically a clinic on the prostyle offense.

SpeedkingATL
October 16th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Compare Ingle Martin and Armanti Edwards/Richie Williams to the QB's these teams will be starting this Saturday and you see some of the drop off from the "glory" years. App's play calling in the 2011 loss in Greenville was the worst I believe I have ever seen from an App team with Cadet running up the middle on almost EVERY first down and getting nothing. Furman was putting 8 in the box on every 1st down and App never adjusted resulting in 2nd and long almost every series. Hope the App offense is just a little less predictable this week but with nothing but one back sets I have my doubts. The key will be App's defensive front against Furman's OL as teams have pretty much run at will between the tackles against App this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 16th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I certainly agree GSU had some great offenses. I looked at the numbers this morning, and the 2007 App team and 2005 Furman team are first and second in conference history in total yardage. Now, GSU did have some teams that would average more yards per game or perhaps more points, but those were the two offenses that put up the most total yardage.

The 2005 Furman team averaged right at 470 yards per contest of offense. What was truly staggering about that number, IMO, is that Furman averaged 247 ypg rushing and 223 ypg passing. I don't think I realized it at the time that I was watching basically a clinic on the prostyle offense.

You have to keep in mind that somewhere between 1999 and 2005 the NCAA started counting playoff games for season stats.

The thing that makes GSU's '99 offense stand out is what it did in the palyoffs. That team scored 197 points in the playoffs, averaging just under 50 points.

PaladinFan
October 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Compare Ingle Martin and Armanti Edwards/Richie Williams to the QB's these teams will be starting this Saturday and you see some of the drop off from the "glory" years. App's play calling in the 2011 loss in Greenville was the worst I believe I have ever seen from an App team with Cadet running up the middle on almost EVERY first down and getting nothing. Furman was putting 8 in the box on every 1st down and App never adjusted resulting in 2nd and long almost every series. Hope the App offense is just a little less predictable this week but with nothing but one back sets I have my doubts. The key will be App's defensive front against Furman's OL as teams have pretty much run at will between the tackles against App this year.

I really do expect a low scoring affair. Both teams seem to lack consistency on offense. I will say that I have not heard a status report on Reese Hannon, and do not know about his availability for this week. He, obviously, is a big difference maker for the Paladins if he plays.

I agree with you that the game will be won or lost with App's defensive front against Furman's offense. Furman has a good OL and talent to burn at receiver, though they have struggled with their quarterback play (for obvious reasons). App's offense, while dangerous, really hasn't shown up this season and they will likely be facing their toughest test of the year. Furman is young, and has a lot of players most folks have never heard of, but they bring their lunch pail every week.

I expect a game similar to 2011. App has more individual talent, but Furman is going to be more physical on both sides of the ball. I do think Furman's advantage on defense is greater than App's advantage on offense. I will expect App State to try and exploit the two things that have killed Furman this season - turnovers and big plays, both issues with young teams. Furman, conversely, will keep the pace slow and try to grind out a physical win. We'll see.

blueballs
October 16th, 2013, 01:53 PM
You have to keep in mind that somewhere between 1999 and 2005 the NCAA started counting playoff games for season stats.

The thing that makes GSU's '99 offense stand out is what it did in the palyoffs. That team scored 197 points in the playoffs, averaging just under 50 points.

The 1999 GSU offense put up 8470 yards total offense in 15 games and scored 98 touchdowns. They averaged 441/game rushing. Adrian Peterson had 2633 yards rushing with 38 TD's and Greg Hill had 1538 yards rushing with 22 TD's. Peterson won the Payton and Hill was the SoCon POTY. That group set a boatload of SoCon and NCAA team and individual records.

Here's another fun stat from that 1999 offense: 17 different players had rushing attempts and 11 different players had pass receptions.

T-Dog
October 16th, 2013, 08:34 PM
App State @ Furman - App wins somehow 8-5
Chattanooga @ Elon - Chatty rolles 42-17
Wofford @ Western Carolina - Wofford rolls 66-28

thirdgendin
October 16th, 2013, 10:46 PM
It's looking like Reese Hannon should be back this Saturday against App: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20131016/SPORTS/310160020/Furman-s-top-quarterback-could-return-against-App-State

There is a big difference between your starting, second-year QB and a true freshman, 4th-stringer.

PaladinFan
October 17th, 2013, 04:58 AM
It's looking like Reese Hannon should be back this Saturday against App: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20131016/SPORTS/310160020/Furman-s-top-quarterback-could-return-against-App-State

There is a big difference between your starting, second-year QB and a true freshman, 4th-stringer.

That's good news for Furman fans. Admittedly, Furman's offense has not been stellar even with Hannon in the game. However, Hannon has played really only once with his starting offensive line and healthy receivers (two quarters against the Citadel), and he was 13-18 for 167. He makes a big difference out there.

T-Dog
October 17th, 2013, 11:11 PM
App's student newspaper's prediction.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BW1Maa8CAAArt7S.jpg

eaglemachine
October 18th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Yes, seriously.

Go ahead and add McKinnon to that list somewhere. Guy is an amazing athlete and more versitle that Foster. He has played QB, B Back, A Back, DB, WR and Returned punts. He played every snap at B Back last week after being switched from QB and averaged ~7 yards a carry.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2013, 07:52 AM
With Hannon back, 21-10 Furple.

CID1990
October 18th, 2013, 09:08 AM
ASU
Chatty
Wofford

The Citadel will be heavily favored against BYE, but will make a last minute decision to run a West Coast - style spread offense and will barely eke out a win in OT.

longtimemocfan
October 18th, 2013, 10:14 AM
1. Samford - Offense has looked very prolific since second half of S.E. La. Game.
2. Wofford - Defense saved the Terriers from a loss on 4th and goal at the 2.
3. Chattanooga - Held Furman without a touchdown for the first time in 10 years.
4. Georgia Southern - Have faced the hard part of their schedule already.
5. The Citadel - Not sure which team will show from week to week. played well at times.
6. Furman - Lot of young talented players. One of the youngest teams in the conference period.
7. App. State - Free fall continues.
8. Elon - 2 yards away from big upset. Have played much better as of late.
9. Western Carolina- Could still win a game or two.

Appy St.-14 Furman-21

Wofford-45 W.Car.-21

Chatt.-31 Elon-24

This game scares me. Elon has been playing very well lately. Could be a lot closer than expected.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 18th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Unless you have a first quarter meltdown like Wofford did and let them get out to a 17-0 lead, I don't think you will have much of a problem with them.

Reign of Terrier
October 18th, 2013, 03:59 PM
If Elon sticks to what they do best and doesn't try to run the ball they are a hard team to beat.

longtimemocfan
October 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I think it helps if you don't let them (Elon) get out to such a big lead in the first half. Against Furman they lead 28-10. Wofford it was 24-7. I would hope by looking at the last 2 games that they won't be sneaking up on anybody else.

chattanoogamocs
October 18th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I guess the good news is, Chattanooga has outscored opponents 105-37 in the first 2 quarters so far this season.

But yeah, this game make me nervous too...mainly because Elon has shown improvement each week...they are getting better, not worse.