PDA

View Full Version : SoCon predictions for Oct 7, 2006

catamount man
October 1st, 2006, 08:09 AM
WCU@ELON - well, once again, my Catamounts have proven we just aren't there yet and now we go on the road to face an improving Elon team. We're still thin on the DL and now have lost Bennett Swygert to an ankle sprain. Look for Todd Spitzer to be under center at Elon and we may have a couple of those DL back. Elon has upset CCU, but looks to have fallen back a little bit. This may be redundant, but I'm picking WCU to get back on track, BUT IN A CLOSE ONE. WCU 20-17

App State@UTC - dang Mocs?! What happened in Charleston?! At any rate, ASU would win this even if UTC would've beaten El Cid. ASU wins and keeps rolling towards 10/28 against Furman. ASU 38-14

Citadel @ Wofford - 2 teams at crossroads IMO. Never would've thought Wofford would be 1-3 and Citadel looks like they've gained a little momentum, but at Spartanburg, look for the Terriers to get their first SoCon win. WOFFORD 28-17

NDSU@GSU - Don't know much about NDSU. GSU 21-14

Furman@Coastal Carolina - You AIN'T stopping Furman. PALADINS 42-10

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
October 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Week 6

Appalachian State at Chattanooga

Well ASU did not beat Elon by 28 like I predicted. They beat them by 24.:p Unlike I predicted Chattanooga did not beat the Citadel at all. And I think that says it all when analyzing this game. :nod: Chattanooga is better than last year, actually a lot better, but they don’t have enough home games to make a run at a really good season. This is one of those home games but unfortunately it is against Appalachian :eek: who is still the best in the conference, at least until October 28.. :smiley_wi

ASU by 14

Furman at CCU –

I wish this as at Paladin Stadium. :nod: I really wish this was at Paladin Stadium. :nod: :nod: I really, really wish this game would be at Paladin Stadium. :nod: :nod: :nod: Furman usually has a let down at some away game during most seasons (They don't necessarily lose but consider that we lost to WCU last year and barely beat Elon the year before). CCU has played pretty well beating SC State and Wofford but they did lose to a mixed up and confused Georgia Southern and a better but still far from good Elon. Furman has looked good against Wofford and Western Carolina (the last two games, except for special teams against Wofford). Everything tells me this is Furman’s game and Furman should win it big (something similar to catamount man's prediction) . But it is in unfamiliar territory and it is at a time Furman might have a let down. But Furman still wins (:p :smiley_wi

Furman by 10 (but it could be much worse)

Citadel at Wofford –

Wofford is 1-3 and for all practical purposes out of the playoffs. Yes technically they could still win the conference but that really looks out of reach mainly due to the way ASU and Furman are playing. I don’t think many of Citadel fans realistically expected Higgins second year to get them in the playoffs but they proved last week they could be the spoilers. Citadel is usually much, much better at Charleston and this one is in Spartanburg.

Wofford by 14

North Dakota State at Georgia Southern

The Eagles seem to be righting themselves some. But NDSU has been right all year long. On the other hand NDSU hasn't really beaten anybody badly except for a DII team. This is a very important Eagle game. Let’s assume for a moment that GSU loses only one more game this year and it is not this one. Winning this one would be big. NDSU is a top ten team and beating the Bison would go a long way to alleviating a lot of the pain of the Eagles and putting them in contention for an at-large since I don’t see many teams beating NDSU. But like they say “Any given Saturday”. Just not this Saturday but it will be close.

NDSU by 7.

Western Carolina at Elon

I picked GSU to beat Western but the only reason is that I had come to the conclusion that Western was not a good football team after the whooping Furman put on them. I am a little embarrassed because I really thought this might be the year that Western turned the corner. I may now have to put them in the I will believe it when I see it category similar to where Chattanooga has been for a long, long time. I really wish the Elon people would not act so offended when I or others pick Appalachian ( or some similar team) to beat them badly. I believe that Elon has lots of potential I also believe Lembo will let us see some of it this year but come on guys, it is one year after not winning a singel conference game. Miracles do not occur overnight. Now, on the other hand I am thinking Western may be bad enough to stop you from losing 7 conferences games two years in a row.

Elon by 3.:eek:

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 1st, 2006, 09:09 AM
WCU - 17
Elon - 3

GSU - 34
NDSU - 17 No more losses at Paulson now that we have our focus :D

Appalachian State - 31
UTC - 14 ASU is in for a rude awakening if they think UTC will be a pushover

Wofford - 27
Citadel - 7

Furman - 28
Coastal - 10

ButlerGSU
October 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
GSU - 34
NDSU - 17 No more losses at Paulson now that we have our focus :D

I don't know about that score, NDSU is a very good team that knows how to win.

No_Skill
October 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM
GSU - 34
NDSU - 17 No more losses at Paulson now that we have our focus

Close but, I think GSU will win by at least 4 touchdowns. NDSU is a supremely overrated team and GSU need not prepare for the upcoming game. We are a transitioning team from D-II for crying out loud, what could you possibly be afraid of? Our run defense it terrible and our we have No_Skill on offence. :smiley_wi

bobbythekidd
October 1st, 2006, 11:44 AM
Close but, I think GSU will win by at least 4 touchdowns. NDSU is a supremely overrated team and GSU need not prepare for the upcoming game. We are a transitioning team from D-II for crying out loud, what could you possibly be afraid of? Our run defence it terrible and our we have No_Skill on offence. :smiley_wi
xlolx xlolx xlolx
I like your style. Pass that pipe, man. We both know how big a game this is for both schools.

GSU-28
NDSU-34 (that hurts to say)

WCU- 28
Elon- 14 (I said 10 at first)

App- ?have to settle for 3 in the red zone more than once.
UTC-?
This one is harder to predict than I thought.

Wofford- 24
Citadel- 21 much improved team this season.

Furman- 45
Coastal- 10 still a good showing against this Furman Team.

ButlerGSU
October 1st, 2006, 01:41 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx
I like your style. Pass that pipe, man. We both know how big a game this is for both schools.

GSU-28
NDSU-34 (that hurts to say)

WCU- 28
Elon- 14 (I said 10 at first)

App- ?have to settle for 3 in the red zone more than once.
UTC-?
This one is harder to predict than I thought.

Wofford- 24
Citadel- 21 much improved team this season.

Furman- 45
Coastal- 10 still a good showing against this Furman Team.

I can't pick against GSU...

GSU: 28
NDSU: 27 (we block a PAT for a change...)

Wofford Beats Citadel...App rolls over UTC but they put up a fight...Furman takes apart CCU...WCU heals up and beats Elon...

catamount man
October 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Western Carolina at Elon

I picked GSU to beat Western but the only reason is that I had come to the conclusion that Western was not a good football team after the whooping Furman put on them. I am a little embarrassed because I really thought this might be the year that Western turned the corner. I may now have to put them in the I will believe it when I see it category similar to where Chattanooga has been for a long, long time. I really wish the Elon people would not act so offended when I or others pick Appalachian ( or some similar team) to beat them badly. I believe that Elon has lots of potential I also believe Lembo will let us see some of it this year but come on guys, it is one year after not winning a singel conference game. Miracles do not occur overnight. Now, on the other hand I am thinking Western may be bad enough to stop you from losing 7 conferences games two years in a row.

Elon by 3.:eek:

:( :( :bawling: :bawling:

Believe me, it HURTS to read those words. No knock on you believe me. MANY times I wonder why we can't turn the corner. Oh well, hope will ALWAYS spring eternal in Cullowhee. BTW, you guys are looking awesome.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eagles_Cliff
October 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM
App @ UTC - Would make things interesting if Mocs could pull off the upset, but I've got to go with tradition and say Appy wins 38-14.

WCU @ Elon - The Cats didnt impress me against a sorry version of GSU, but I'm gonna pick 'em anyway cuz Elon is more pitiful than GSU...24-10.

Citadel @ Woffy - Woffy controls the ball and outlasts El Cid 31-24.

Furman @ Coastal - No problem for the purps, but be prepared to hear a lot of smack from the fighting chicken crowd. They shut up before halftime..45-13.

NDSU @ GSU - NDSU is better statistically than every team in the SoCon. GSU still cant seem to get the offense going beyond the first two or three series. Right now, I think GSU can beat anyone on the schedule. I've heard some argue we should be 4-0. I agree, but I can also see us being 1-3 or 0-4. If the offense can be consistent, this GSU team could find itself, but I haven't seen any evidence in four games that would make me pick GSU in this one. Bison 34-20.

yosefcity
October 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Here we go

GSU-17
NDSU-28

WCU- 14
Elon- 21

App- 35
UTC- 10

Wofford- 21
Citadel- 7

Furman- 31
Coastal- 14

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 1st, 2006, 06:05 PM
Close but, I think GSU will win by at least 4 touchdowns. NDSU is a supremely overrated team and GSU need not prepare for the upcoming game. We are a transitioning team from D-II for crying out loud, what could you possibly be afraid of? Our run defense it terrible and our we have No_Skill on offence. :smiley_wi

Cal Poly and UC Davis are fresh out of DII as well, and they are still good. I like us not just because we are at home, but because I think our offense is getting better every week.

Hansel
October 1st, 2006, 06:13 PM
Cal Poly and UC Davis are fresh out of DII as well, and they are still good. I like us not just because we are at home, but because I think our offense is getting better every week.
Poly has been DI for about ten years.......

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 1st, 2006, 06:16 PM
Poly has been DI for about ten years.......

Oops...I guess I was thinking of SDSU.

parr90
October 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM
We wouldnt be talking about this game being close if we hadnt stripped our O, Georgia Southern that is. Being as it is we will still win by 14.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
We wouldnt be talking about this game being close if we hadnt stripped our O, Georgia Southern that is. Being as it is we will still win by 14.

Yeah, I'm sure GSU would have torn NDSU's rush defense apart with that triple option. They'd probably get three times as many rushing yards as NDSU gives up on average(29yds), so they'd end up with about 87 yards.

bobbythekidd
October 1st, 2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I'm sure GSU would have torn NDSU's rush defense apart with that triple option. They'd probably get three times as many rushing yards as NDSU gives up on average, say about 87 yards.
Three times 87 yards? That is about 250-260. No, if we ran the option I would guess about six times your avg yrd per game. To bad you won't feel that pain.
We will still keep it close. If you would like to continue THIS line of questioning take it to the smack board or visit us at tscsports.com.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Three times 87 yards? That is about 250-260. No, if we ran the option I would guess about six times your avg yrd per game. To bad you won't feel that pain.
We will still keep it close. If you would like to continue THIS line of questioning take it to the smack board or visit us at tscsports.com.

Actually NDSU gives up 29 yards on the ground, so I was saying three times that would be 87. NDSU's prides itself on stopping the run, I was actually looking forward seeing NDSU's Defense vs the vaunted GSU option attack. It would have been a very interesting match-up.

Saint3333
October 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I'm sure GSU would have torn NDSU's rush defense apart with that triple option. They'd probably get three times as many rushing yards as NDSU gives up on average, say about 87 yards.

The old GSU 1999 version sure would have.

bobbythekidd
October 1st, 2006, 08:07 PM
Actually NDSU gives up 29 yards on the ground, so I was saying three times that would be 87. NDSU's prides itself on stopping the run, I was actually looking forward seeing NDSU's Defense vs the vaunted GSU option attack. It would have been a very interesting match-up.
I will stick by what I said. If the option attack did not get it, I would have cried myself to sleep. We WOULD have more. Ask Fuman, SDSU, Youngstown, Appy, Texas State, or anyone else.
We would have more rushing yards, the question is, do we have more points?

bobbythekidd
October 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM
The old GSU 1999 version sure would have.
What you said! Thank you. :hurray:
To bad this ain't '99:bang:

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2006, 08:16 PM
Here's my take.

North Dakota State at Georgia Southern: I am under the impression that the Eagles expected Central Connecticut to come to Paulson, bow before Georgia Southern, take a spanking and leave humiliated. NDSU, like CCSU, will have no intentions of making a long trip to get creamed. They will show up to play. This game is super big for GSU as they will most likely have to win two out three with NDSU, FU, and ASU to make the playoffs. NDSU will most likely be healthier than was Western, and have already proven they can some better competition. I'll take the Eagles in a close one 28-24.

Furman at Coastal Carolina: CCU had trouble stopping Wofford's ground game that Furman completely shut down. Tyler Thigpen is a force at QB, but Furman's defense is the best they've seen yet and I just don't think anyone can outscore the Paladins right now. If the Chants had a hard time stopping WC's Johnson and Hobbes, they will have a whale of a time slowing down Felton and Gipson. Furman rolls on 35-14.

Appalachian State at UTC: Interesting matchup here. App. can be pretty vulnerable when they come off the mountain and UTC gave them a fight last year. I thought UTC was good enough last week, they apparently aren't. App. wins easy as October 28th begins to loom larger 35-21.

The Citadel at Wofford: Wofford needs to get back on track. They have a good team and Citadel on the road is probably just what the doctor ordered. Terriers win 27-13.

Western Carolina at Elon: Western is decimated by injuries. Elon needs to take advantage and notch a conference win. However, the Catamounts are playing for pride now and win a close one 21-14.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM
I will stick by what I said. If the option attack did not get it, I would have cried myself to sleep. We WOULD have more. Ask Fuman, SDSU, Youngstown, Appy, Texas State, or anyone else.

I don't honestly think NDSU would have held GSU's old option attack to 29 yards or 87 yards, really I don't have a clue what would have happend. Thats why I said it would be an interesting match-up. I guess it doesn't matter anymore and I'm sure our D-cordinator is happy he doesnt' have to deal with the headache that preparing for GSU's option would have given him.

matfu
October 1st, 2006, 09:23 PM
as a longtime furman fan i would like to say that ga southern's previous triple option attack was almost unstoppable with their folks in the skill positions being so skilled. in fact, the only game where we seemed to shut them down cold was i believe, in 2000 where we beat them in greenville something like 45-10...when we had guys in the secondary come from the opposite side of the field and get in the backfield and stop them (sorry i'm not a fb player or coach). other than that, i would say, their offense was generally stopped only when they stopped themselves (for example in the playoff game against new hampshire-i believe in 2004) when they uncharacteristically fumbled.

app state has had our number the last 8 years or so in boone (don't remind me of the miracle on the mountain), but ga southern was the team to beat in the past (as those 6 flags attest to). imho, it was largely related to the triple option offense (oops i'm having a tracy ham 44-42 1985 flashback). so stopping their current offense and their old offense are not even related. a team would have to face their old triple option to see for themselves how skilled they were. i believe either bobby lamb or one of our all-american linebackers said it took our linemen a few years seeing it and playing against it before they even had a chance to defend it.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM
:( :( :bawling: :bawling:

Believe me, it HURTS to read those words. No knock on you believe me. MANY times I wonder why we can't turn the corner. Oh well, hope will ALWAYS spring eternal in Cullowhee. BTW, you guys are looking awesome.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

:o Sorry:o

OL FU
October 2nd, 2006, 07:13 AM

That is an amazing statement:nod:

2005 Score

Sat, Nov 12 South Dakota State 20 - Fargo, N.D. NDSU41 - SDSU17 (W)
STATS
QUOTES Webcast

I think SDSU played Georgia Southern a little closer than the above:nod: :rolleyes:

OL FU
October 2nd, 2006, 07:15 AM

With respect to the option, it is a moot point:rotateh: :nod:

atlGAmocs
October 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
WCU @ Elon - Both teams are had tough weeks. I don't know how WCU is looking as far as the injury situation. Only because this game is in Elon, NC will go with the Phoenix Elon 17 WCU 13

Furman vs Coastal Carolina - CCU will show again why they do not belong in the SoCon. Furman wins this big. FU 38 CCU 14

GSU vs North Dakota State - I know absolutely nothing about NDSU. I would to pick against the Eagles every week, but my head will overule my heart GSU 13 NDSU 10

Citadel @ Wofford - This should be a pretty good game. The Bulldogs had a tought start to the season, but came away with a lot of experience versus superior teams. I like El Cid in back to back upsets Cit 20 Wofford 17

Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - I sat in the stands in Charleston and watched UTC secondary get picked apart by the Citadel. Buckley did end up with solid numbers, but it was too little too late. Looks like both ASU QB's had there way with the Elon defense. Mocs won the last time the Mountaineers visited Chattanooga, but this team doesn't have Cederick Stevens. APSU 38 UTC 28

PaladinFan
October 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Don't read too much into that Citadel loss my friend. El Cid took the Paladins into three overtimes there last year, and we were a semifinal team. They give us fits every year and they are tough to beat in Charleston.

Rebound and help your Furman friends out by toppling the Mountaineers.

MylesKnight
October 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
All I see are predictions for a Furman blowout for the most part... I realize that the Pals' are a darn good football team, but everyone seems to be throwing in the towel for Coastal for this season... Keep in mind, this was a team that was predicted to compete for a Playoff Spot this season.. If the Chants' run the table, they may very well still get in... This is definitely motivation enough, and I do see this one being VEEERRRRYYY close Saturday Evening in Conway.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
All I see are predictions for a Furman blowout for the most part... I realize that the Pals' are a darn good football team, but everyone seems to be throwing in the towel for Coastal for this season... Keep in mind, this was a team that was predicted to compete for a Playoff Spot this season.. If the Chants' run the table, they may very well still get in... This is definitely motivation enough, and I do see this one being VEEERRRRYYY close Saturday Evening in Conway.

:nod: :nod:

Mid-point in the season. We are ripe for the picking.
It should not happen, but we don't need to be counting our Chanticleers before they hatch:smiley_wi

GSUhooligan
October 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM
That is an amazing statement:nod:

2005 Score

Sat, Nov 12 South Dakota State 20 - Fargo, N.D. NDSU41 - SDSU17 (W)
STATS
QUOTES Webcast

I think SDSU played Georgia Southern a little closer than the above:nod: :rolleyes:

Comparing games is almost pointless. Plus NDSU played at home. When we had SDSU at home we beat them 63-7 or something like that...If I wanted to look at games, I'd look at NDSU getting all they wanted from an 0-4 team. But I know better than to look at other games. It's going to be a tough one. I hope the weather will give us an edge...

Eagle_77
October 2nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
Ok I will give it a try

WCU @ Elon - Western is the new Chattanooga meaning you know this team has some talent but when are they going to put it all together. Injuries are not helping things this year either. After ANOTHER injury to their QB they may now have their best QB on the field. Elon on the other hand is fighting its way out for the basement. They still have a ways to go but you can see some bright spots for this team. I believe both teams are still in the bottom half of the SoCon but Elon may give up its place as the bottom feeder this year. Elon 23 Western 13

Furman vs Coastal Carolina - Furman will be the best team CCU has faced this year to date. Coastal has a better QB WR duo than any team in the SoCon but that alone is not going to get it done against this Furman team. After kinda a slow start for the Furman O it has really started clicking and against Coastals Swiss D they will have there way. Look for a big day on the ground for the Purps and a 41- 23 win.

GSU vs North Dakota State - At a glance this seems to be a lop sided contest in North Dakota St's favor against a Georgia Southern team thats still finding its way. I mean Georgia Southern's strength has been its run offense. But NDSU is number one in the nation allowing only 23 ypg rushing. NDSU has posted an undeafted season so far going 4-0. But at a closer look the teams they have beaten have bosted a combined 4-16 record with half those wins coming from a lower division team. Looking at these things and the fact that NDSU has to travel to Paulson which has been known to be a tough place to play this game looks a little closer than first glance. But undefeated is undefeated and a great confidence booster for a team which I belive gives them the slight edge in this one :bawling: NDSU 21 GSU 20.

Citadel @ Wofford - What exactly is going on with these two teams? The Citadel gets beat by Chuck South but then bounces back with a big win over the Mocs. Wofford plays South Carolina close and Furman closer than I expected but gets out gunned by Coastal. Being this one is at Wofford my gut tells me to pick the little pups but my brain is telling me that the big game experince against 1-A schools is gonna give the big pups the advantage. The Citadel 23 Wofford 21

Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - Did Chattanooga have a hang over after the big win over GSU or did The Citadel play inspired football in honor of their injured brother? Emotions where high for the Citadel family and I think it played a big roll in its win against Chattanooga last week. App St is well just App St. But on the road to the big city of Nooga has not always been the friendliest place for the men in black. Even though the Mocs are fighting trying to prove they deserve to be in the top half of the conference, App is just to much. The defending Champs hold Buckley under 100 yrds for the first time this year in a 43-17 win.

OL FU
October 2nd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Comparing games is almost pointless. Plus NDSU played at home. When we had SDSU at home we beat them 63-7 or something like that...If I wanted to look at games, I'd look at NDSU getting all they wanted from an 0-4 team. But I know better than to look at other games. It's going to be a tough one. I hope the weather will give us an edge...

And I don't disagree, but I do think the other statement that if Georgia Southern were running the option we would not even be discussing this was :eyebrow: .

The point I was making is that NDSU is a good team and if GSU had the option, NDSU would still be a good and competitive team.

MarkCCU
October 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
WCU - 21
Elon - 10

GSU - 21
NDSU - 17

Appalachian State - 31
UTC - 14

Wofford - 35
Citadel - 7 Cadets are going to get raped!!!!!!!

Furman - 28
Coastal - 21 I think this is going to be a close game

AUCATAMOUNT
October 2nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
WCU 17
Elon 14

GSU 30
NDSU 21

App State 28
UTC 17

Wofford 21
Citadel 14

Furman 35
Coastal 24

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM

I'm thinking we get 250 total yards rushing at least. We still have incredible depth at RB (a vestige of our old offense). While our scoring numbers don't look so good, offensive-wise we are one of the most productive. Trust me, I can't tell you how many times people have pointed out their rush D numbers to us only to have us run over them the entire game.

SouthernEagle02
October 2nd, 2006, 11:28 AM
FWIW

APP-35
UTC-28
Can a freshman QB make it two in a row for App??

WCU- 21
ELON-31
Injuries to WCU is Elon's gain.

FC-48
CCU-14
CCU still isn't ready for SoCon competition yet.

WOFFORD- 25
CITTADEL- 20
Don't know much about this one, just picked som random numbers

NDSU-17
GS-21
Heart tells me my Eagles in a close one BUT my head tells me that BVG could be 1-2 @ Paulson so far this season when the clock reads 00:00.:(

Bounus pick:
Cox looses his first ever game at the hand of the Vols.

atlGAmocs
October 2nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
Ok I will give it a try

Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - Did Chattanooga have a hang over after the big win over GSU or did The Citadel play inspired football in honor of their injured brother? Emotions where high for the Citadel family and I think it played a big roll in its win against Chattanooga last week. App St is well just App St. But on the road to the big city of Nooga has not always been the friendliest place for the men in black. Even though the Mocs are fighting trying to prove they deserve to be in the top half of the conference, App is just to much. The defending Champs hold Buckley under 100 yrds for the first time this year in a 43-17 win.

Buck ran for 210 last year @ the "Rock" so i don't think that App will be able to hold him to under 100 at home. Eldra proves he is the best RB in the SoCon and puts up another 150+ day.

Eagle_77
October 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Buck ran for 210 last year @ the "Rock" so i don't think that App will be able to hold him to under 100 at home. Eldra proves he is the best RB in the SoCon and puts up another 150+ day.

We will see and if Im wrong I will be the first to admit it. Just got a feeling on this.

dbackjon
October 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
Winners:

NDSU
Furman
ASU
Wofford
Elon

Saint3333
October 2nd, 2006, 03:37 PM

Furman by 20 easy. Felton will likely have 150+ yards and 3 TDs. This sounds a lot like the pre ASU-CCU chatter last year and I expect similar results.

FU97
October 2nd, 2006, 03:49 PM
Eldra proves he is the best RB in the SoCon and puts up another 150+ day.

*cough* Felton *cough*

FU97
October 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Bounus pick:
Cox looses his first ever game at the hand of the Vols.

While I see UGA losing, I don't see Cox starting. UGA's best chance of winning rests on the tender ankle of Joe T.

FUwolfpacker
October 2nd, 2006, 03:54 PM
*cough* Felton *cough*

Felton is great, but him and Buckley are very different. Felton is probably a better blocker, and Buckley has better speed. I'm not going to say Felton is the best RB in the SoCon because there are a lot of good ones and they're all different. Richardson, Buckley, Felton...they all do great things.

ASU Kep
October 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
*cough* Felton *cough*

*cough* I agree. *cough*

Kevin Richardson is great, but Felton is IMO the class runner in the SOCON (even if not a RB). It's him, Buckley, and probably Covington in a very close battle for second best. The SOCON really does have some great RB/FBs.

ASU Kep
October 2nd, 2006, 04:29 PM
WCU @ Elon - Both teams are had tough weeks. I don't know how WCU is looking as far as the injury situation. Only because this game is in Elon, NC will go with the Phoenix Elon 17 WCU 13

Furman vs Coastal Carolina - CCU will show again why they do not belong in the SoCon. Furman wins this big. FU 38 CCU 14

GSU vs North Dakota State - I know absolutely nothing about NDSU. I would to pick against the Eagles every week, but my head will overule my heart GSU 13 NDSU 10

Citadel @ Wofford - This should be a pretty good game. The Bulldogs had a tought start to the season, but came away with a lot of experience versus superior teams. I like El Cid in back to back upsets Cit 20 Wofford 17

Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - I sat in the stands in Charleston and watched UTC secondary get picked apart by the Citadel. Buckley did end up with solid numbers, but it was too little too late. Looks like both ASU QB's had there way with the Elon defense. Mocs won the last time the Mountaineers visited Chattanooga, but this team doesn't have Cederick Stevens. APSU 38 UTC 28

I coulda swore ASU won the last time we played in 'Nooga. :confused: ;) :D

GaSouthern
October 2nd, 2006, 05:27 PM
I coulda swore ASU won the last time we played in 'Nooga. :confused: ;) :D

:nod: xlolx

rb45070
October 2nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Well im new to the board so here goes nothing

FU-35
CCU-10

Wofford-24
Citadel-13

WCU-21
Elon-24

GSU-27
NDSU-24

ASU-41
Chat-14

smallcollegefbfan
October 2nd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Here are my picks:
GSU-14
NDSU-21

WCU- 27
Elon- 14

App- 24
UTC- 14

Wofford- 28
Citadel- 13

Furman- 38
Coastal- 17

seantaylor
October 3rd, 2006, 02:37 AM
Cov is the best. Only a sophomore. More speed than all of the others listed, and a tougher runner than all but Felton.

ChiefGSU275
October 3rd, 2006, 06:33 AM
You really gotta give Felton his props. The guy is a beast. I dont know how his speed is in the open field, but he can definitely barrel through the line like a 15 year old playing 8U ball. I dont know how the FU coaches convinced a DL to play RB, but kudos to them. ;)

bobbythekidd
October 3rd, 2006, 06:44 AM
You really gotta give Felton his props. The guy is a beast. I dont know how his speed is in the open field, but he can definitely barrel through the line like a 15 year old playing 8U ball. I dont know how the FU coaches convinced a DL to play RB, but kudos to them. ;)
Props indeed, Cheif. The kid embodies the student-ahtlete as well. He is really smart. He puts a good face on the program.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM
What is most interesting to me is his quickness. A lot of people think he is only good for about 5 yrds a rush, but last week he broke a 40 yarder after making a nice cutback near the sideline.

He's agile on the ends, a good reciever, a good blocker, a tough runner, and I think I've seen him fumble only one time in 3 years.

Don't forget, though, that Furman has another runner with similar yardage in Ced Gipson. One of the reasons Felton can be so productive is that if you for a second forget about the other runner, you will be watching the backside of #22 all the way to the endzone.

ErkPeterson
October 3rd, 2006, 08:19 AM
WCU - 17
Elon - 21

GSU - 21
NDSU - 17

Appalachian State - 37
UTC - 10

Wofford - 25
Citadel - 21

Furman - 35
Coastal - 15

citdog
October 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
I like that no one is picking us against the ankle biting dogs. Woffy's weakness is in their secondary, and with the way we threw the ball against Chatt, I like our chances

Cadets 27

Little Dogs 21

nick9c
October 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cov is the best. Only a sophomore. More speed than all of the others listed, and a tougher runner than all but Felton.

I have not seen Covington in person yet...have heard good things though. But I have to say that Richardson looked pretty darn tough running over your defenders in last year's game. I believe there was one play where he ran through about 5 GSU defenders - that's some pretty tough running.

nick9c
October 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
WCU @ Elon - I had a lot more faith in WCU at the beginning of the year, but they have been disappointing thus far. True, the defense has been hit by injuries but where did the offense go? ELON 24 WCU 17

Furman vs Coastal Carolina - CCU is another team that has been hit hard by injuries early in the season. They hang with Furman through one half playing on emotion, then get blown out in the 2nd half after some Furman adjustments. FU 35 CCU 17

GSU vs North Dakota State - There's a lot of talk about how goood NDSU is this year. However, this game is in the boro. GSU gets the offense rolling and it's not even close. GSU 38 NDSU 7

Citadel @ Wofford - The Citadel had their miracle last week against UTC. Wofford rebounds from a disappointing loss against Furman and proves to be the better dog this week. Wofford 28 Citadel 14

Appalachian State @ Chattanooga - UTC is the team that I expected to pull some upsets this year. I think they rise to superior competition and fall to inferior competition. Well guess what, App State is a superior team, but become UTC's second victim this year. UTC in an upset with Buckley gaining 200 yds on the ground. UTC 28 App State 27

kirkblitz
October 3rd, 2006, 10:11 AM
coastal-24
furman-23

Ma bennet, coach david bennets mom died on monday of lung cancer. Im going to predict that this is gonna motivate the chants to victory in her honor.

ButlerGSU
October 3rd, 2006, 10:22 AM
GSU vs North Dakota State - There's a lot of talk about how goood NDSU is this year. However, this game is in the boro. GSU gets the offense rolling and it's not even close. GSU 38 NDSU 7

I'll be your best friend if you're right...

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
coastal-24
furman-23

Ma bennet, coach david bennets mom died on monday of lung cancer. Im going to predict that this is gonna motivate the chants to victory in her honor.

The Chants will need a lot more than emotion. The Chants gave up more than that to Elon. I guarantee you Furman's offense is better than Elon's.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
coastal-24
furman-23

Sorry to hear about the coach's mom.
I understand that she has been sick for a long time.

AppGuy04
October 3rd, 2006, 11:01 AM

Predictions like this make you sound crazy. NDSU may be overrated, but not by that much.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Predictions like this make you sound crazy. NDSU may be overrated, but not by that much.

And I think that we are going to find out that they are not over rated:nod:

nick9c
October 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
And I think that we are going to find out that they are not over rated:nod:

Let's put some things in perspective...NDSU hasn't exactly had stiff competition...Ball State (1-4...a low tier I-A), Concordia????, Northeastern (1-4)...and blown out by JMU 52-14, stephen austin (0-5).
Plus, I think GA Southern realizes it can't withstand another loss. NDSU is a good team but not #11 in the country, sorry.

OL FU
October 3rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Let's put some things in perspective...NDSU hasn't exactly had stiff competition...Ball State (1-4...a low tier I-AA), Concordia????, Northeastern (1-4)...and blown out by JMU 52-14, stephen austin (0-5).
Plus, I think GA Southern realizes it can't withstand another loss. NDSU is a good team but not #11 in the country, sorry.

You may be right, but with the score you have for this game, GSU should be number 1:p :D

nick9c
October 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
You may be right, but with the score you have for this game, GSU should be number 1:p :D

This is my break-out game for GSU...clicking on all cylinders. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them sputter for a couple more. :D

AppGuy04
October 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM

that was more the point I was making, this game will not be a blowout either way

OL FU
October 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
This is my break-out game for GSU...clicking on all cylinders. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing them sputter for a couple more. :D

Whew, for a minute I thought you were a clandestine igglet. :smiley_wi

Black and Gold Express
October 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
NDSU@GSU - I know little of NDSU, other than a lot of people seem pretty high on them. But unless you are an elite team, the time for catching GSU at Pauslon was in the first half of the season, not now. If this were the old GSU, it wouldn't be close. Now though, this could be the most entertaining game of the week. Eagles win in a close one.

NDSU 24
GSU 30

WCU@ELON - Having watched Elon firsthand last weekend, they are a team finally starting to go in the right direction. On the other hand, all signs point to Western going into a tailspin. I pick Elon to get a win at home that signifies they are on their way out of the basement in the near future.

WCU 14
ELON 26

Citadel @ Wofford - Citadel opened some eyes with a win over the team many thought would be the SoCon darkhorse. I watched Wofford put a big scare into South Carolina (no matter what they say, they aren't "USC" and they aren't "Carolina") and I'll go with the home team here.

CIT 21
WOF 35

Furman@Coastal Carolina - My prayers are to Coach Bennett and his family for their loss. This game is meaningless compared to that. I do buy into CCU playing with extra emotion, but all comparisons to the 2005 JMU game will end after the first quarter. The 2006 Furman team is one of the I-AA elite this year, and they will wear down the Chants in the second half.

FUR 41
CCU 17

ASU@UTC - You want to make us your Homecoming oppenent? Okay, you asked for it. And GSU better take notes as well. :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, this is the test for Armanti Edwards. Three games against subpar competition, one of them a roady, has gotten his feet wet. Now it's time to see if he can step up and be what we need to make a legitimate run at a repeat. It's a lot to ask of an 18 year old, but so far he's been doing nothing but get better each week.

And our first string defense has been obliterating everyone they face so far. In the first three I-AA games 10, 3, and 7 points have been put up against the first unit. It's been amazing to watch them work. But this week they'll get their stiffest test from a I-AA offense in Eldra Buckley, who is proving each week he is a legitimate stud carrying the ball. Problem is UTC just lost one of their top linemen for a while, and that should hurt.

It's my hope that we can pass this road test with flying colors. I predict some freshman mistakes from Edwards, but in the end we leave double-digit winners.

ASU 28
UTC 14

OL FU
October 3rd, 2006, 01:25 PM
B&G Welcome back:nod:

Black and Gold Express
October 3rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
B&G Welcome back:nod:

Thanks. As long as I stick to my intentions of ignoring a few individuals here, I think my second time around here will be a much more pleasant one. :)

October 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
B&G Welcome back:nod:X ____________________ Co-Sign! xsmileyclapx

Cap'n Cat
October 3rd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks. As long as I stick to my intentions of ignoring a few individuals here, I think my second time around here will be a much more pleasant one. :)

Then, keep taking your meds, B.

:nod: :nod:

Black and Gold Express
October 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
That would assume you were one of those individuals...

Cap'n Cat
October 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
That would assume you were one of those individuals...

And I'm proud.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Tealblood
October 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
what in the hell is that Ralph avatar

HiHiYikas
October 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Somebody's bound to have guessed right in 70-something posts.

App and Furman ought to win

GSU and Wofford probably ought to win

I'm not sure what to say about WCU - Elon.

One of those 4 "oughts" will lose, and I have a feeling that Elon-WCU isn't close. I'm just not sure who wins.

pete4256
October 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Hey B&G Express,
When you gonna come out with I-AA Rose/Tecmo Bowl 2006?

Man, that was fun.

GreatAppSt
October 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
what in the hell is that Ralph avatar

Another brick in the Wall! :D :D

BULLDOG8180
October 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
App. St. wins. Money will be fine, he always plays his best in big games. Even though he is a freshman, he has been battle tested in life.

Furman wins. Gray dominates Coastal as they try to contain Felton.

Western wins. Elon begins to lock up another last place finish in SOCON.

Bulldogs win. Make it 2 in a row, battle tested in College Station and Pittsburgh- Them Terriers look small.

GSU wins.

FU97
October 4th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Who needs speed when you can just run over/carry defenders for the last 20 yards?

Black and Gold Express
October 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Hey B&G Express,
When you gonna come out with I-AA Rose/Tecmo Bowl 2006?

Man, that was fun.

I gave up that project a few years ago. I just don't have time to do it anymore. If anyone ever wanted to pick it up and run with it, I'd be glad to hand it off.

Besides, do you really want to see how strong I'd make ASU for that one? :smiley_wi

thirdgendin
October 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM
He's agile on the ends, a good reciever, a good blocker, a tough runner, and I think I've seen him fumble only one time in 3 years.

Felton is an OUTSTANDING fullback. It's just a shame that his one memorable fumble cost us a shot at a national title in '04. :bang: :bang: :bawling: :bawling:

FU97
October 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Felton is an OUTSTANDING fullback. It's just a shame that his one memorable fumble cost us a shot at a national title in '04. :bang: :bang: :bawling: :bawling:

I'm pretty sure that was Gipson that fumbled on the goalline in that game.

pete4256
October 4th, 2006, 02:07 PM
I gave up that project a few years ago. I just don't have time to do it anymore. If anyone ever wanted to pick it up and run with it, I'd be glad to hand it off.

Besides, do you really want to see how strong I'd make ASU for that one? :smiley_wi
Yeah, I guess it's irrelevant now that one can play I-AA on NCAA by EASports. Still no playoffs, though.

I'l never forgive you for how mediocre AP was. So what if App held him under 100?

ASU Kep
October 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM

ahhh...'04. :)

nevermind my post, then.

besides, I think Felton will have another shot in the semi's before he's done down there.

FUwolfpacker
October 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM

It was definitely Gipson that fumbled. I was in the student section right on the goalline when he fumbled it at the 1 or 2.

That really sucked, but he wasn't the only reason we lost that game. A blocked punt earlier (which I think gave them their first TD) and a very conservative prevent defense at the end of the game allowed JMU to drive for the winning score. Gipson's td might have sealed the game for us, but you never really know how a game is going to play out. I've seen Felton fumble, but it hasn't been often and it usually never cost us.

FUwolfpacker
October 4th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Only thing I remember about that game is "the slip" and O. Byrom's fumble recovery off Ingle that sealed it. I don't even remember the other fumble. :confused:

Granted, I was obliterated. :nono: :D

I think you are thinking of '05...NOT '04:). Man, you must have been REALLY trashed to forget what year it was!;)

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2006, 02:33 PM
It was a then freshman Gipson who fumbled. Allowing Rascati to scramble for a first down on a 3rd and 21 in the fourth didn't help us either.

Saint3333
October 4th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Does Felton have any chance to finish up his degree and go the NFL early...?

youwouldno
October 4th, 2006, 08:07 PM
He has said he won't. Beyond that it's probably smart for him to stay, especially considering he was never redshirted.

SoCon48
October 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Brings back the nightmare of 1986 for this ol' timer. John Settle had never fumbled in his entire high school nor college career until he fumbled near the goal line that year vs Furman.

thirdgendin
October 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM

You're right, it was Gipson.

thirdgendin
October 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM

He came to Furman with 20 hours of college credit already. The story goes that he told Coach Lamb that it was his choice whether or not to redshirt Jerome, but he would be gone in four years either way! :D

I think he'll still around one more year. Don't worry. :smiley_wi

thirdgendin
October 5th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Brings back the nightmare of 1986 for this ol' timer. John Settle had never fumbled in his entire high school nor college career until he fumbled near the goal line that year vs Furman.

I remember that game also. I think it poured the entire weekend, and we sat in trash bags the whole game. Settle rushed for almost 250 yards but it ended in a 17-17 tie.

Black and Gold Express
October 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I guess it's irrelevant now that one can play I-AA on NCAA by EASports. Still no playoffs, though.

I'l never forgive you for how mediocre AP was. So what if App held him under 100?

What do you mean mediocre? Anytime I ever played as AP he was a beast.

Death Dealer
October 5th, 2006, 02:07 PM
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! :smiley_wi

Saint3333
October 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Just a little wishful thinking from your friendly, yet very concerned ASU fan.

Appdad
October 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Just a little wishful thinking from your friendly, yet very concerned ASU fan.

Maybe we can take a collect up to pay Felton to try out for the pros early.

I'll start off at $100!:smiley_wi

ASU Kep
October 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM

I'll give him $1000 to leave early, of course with the stipulation that he pays me back with some interest after signing what should be one sweet pro contract.

ASU Kep
October 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I think you are thinking of '05...NOT '04:). Man, you must have been REALLY trashed to forget what year it was!;)
xlolx

I was hoping nobody would catch that post. Right after I put it up I looked back at the last post. oops. xlolx :hurray:

...but yes, I was that obliterated. Hell, I probably didn't know what year it was AT the damn game. Ended up jumping in duck pond last year, couldn't even feel the cold. :nonono2: :D

PaladinFan
October 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM
oddly enough, the head of scouting for the Pittsburgh Steelers (at least I think that is his title) is a Furman grad.

For some reason, big running back named Jerome just seems to fit there.

pete4256
October 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM
What do you mean mediocre? Anytime I ever played as AP he was a beast.

I guess it's that he was pretty slow, and the name of the game on Tecmo Bowl was/is speed. I'd try to feed AP and let him run over people, but he wore out quickly, fumbled a lot, and couldn't stay healthy.

When I played with Brian Westbrook, on the other hand, I'd usually go well over 400 yards.

Always disappointed me, too. :D

OL FU
October 6th, 2006, 06:48 AM
I'll give him $1000 to leave early, of course with the stipulation that he pays me back with some interest after signing what should be one sweet pro contract.

Bomar plays for SHSU. xlolx

Appdad
October 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Ok, I haven't heard from him or his agent...

$101 :smiley_wi

FU97
October 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Ok, I haven't heard from him or his agent...

$101 :smiley_wi

Armanti Edwards has agreed to accept your donation. :smiley_wi

The Gadfly
October 13th, 2006, 03:48 AM
I have to bring this thread back due to the simple fact that most who posted scores for the Furman @ Coastal game were mostly Furman blow outs. This is not the thing that bothers me, hell, I predicted Furman to win. It's the statements about how "Coastal isn't ready for the SoCon." I believe this game has shown otherwise. Not only because we beat Furman, but because, like other SoCon teams, it's DAMN hard to beat your opponent in their own back yard: Furman @ La Cid, Appy @ Paulson & vice versa, La Cid @ Woffie. 2-2 against the SoCon teams we played this season would put us either 3rd or 4th in the conference hypothetically speaking, looking at how things are panning out. It wold be VERY interesting to see what happens the rest of the season. I believe, as I know most of you now believe, that Coastal could hold its own in the SoCon, not only in football, but in other sports as well. Can't wait to play you guys again next season. Cheers and thank you for the opportunity to play against you. :beerchug:

Appdad
October 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I have to bring this thread back due to the simple fact that most who posted scores for the Furman @ Coastal game were mostly Furman blow outs. This is not the thing that bothers me, hell, I predicted Furman to win. It's the statements about how "Coastal isn't ready for the SoCon." I believe this game has shown otherwise. Not only because we beat Furman, but because, like other SoCon teams, it's DAMN hard to beat your opponent in their own back yard: Furman @ La Cid, Appy @ Paulson & vice versa, La Cid @ Woffie. 2-2 against the SoCon teams we played this season would put us either 3rd or 4th in the conference hypothetically speaking, looking at how things are panning out. It wold be VERY interesting to see what happens the rest of the season. I believe, as I know most of you now believe, that Coastal could hold its own in the SoCon, not only in football, but in other sports as well. Can't wait to play you guys again next season. Cheers and thank you for the opportunity to play against you. :beerchug:

How many seniors do you lose this year?

OL FU
October 13th, 2006, 08:11 AM
How many seniors do you lose this year?

This year is not over