PDA

View Full Version : The "Let's Not Lose Two in a Row to These Guys, Mmkay?" Bowl, or, The Citadel at GSU

CID1990
October 10th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Will The Citadel show up?

Will GSU have to put the kicker in at running back?

Will all the trailers in Pooler be empty during the game?

Will Coach Monken say the word "fanny" in the post game interview?

Will either team actually run the option for at least a quarter or two?

Money quotes from before the season started:

"We do get to play the eight Southern Conference teams. We have yet to go 8-0 in the Southern Conference. That's been on of our goals. It would be hard to argue we're not Southern Conference champions if we go 8-0 in the league." -Jeff Monken

and

"This senior class has the goal of winning another Southern Conference Championship, whether anyone else will recognize it or not. To go 8-0 in the SoCon would make a statement about this football team and this program." - Jeff Monken

(Thanks to Sandlapper Spike http://thesportsarsenal.com/2013/10/10/2013-football-game-7-the-citadel-vs-georgia-southern/)

I'll be in Antugua, Guatemala sipping a cerveza and having a cigar while listening to the game while the mizzus shops for rugs or some other *****.

Game on!

Bill
October 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM
The "Let's Not Lose Two in a Row to These Guys, Mmkay?" Bowl, or, The Citadel at GSU :18407

Bill
October 10th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Uggh - Sorry, CID - I had a cool graphic made up, and all you got to see was Mr. Mackey.

I need to take a photoshop class with Bogie.

Wallace
October 10th, 2013, 03:36 PM
lol

pike51
October 10th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Silly bellhops. Get off the computer and get back to work. There's a bus load coming in right now!

walliver
October 10th, 2013, 07:02 PM
It should be an interesting game that could go either way. Georgia Southern has the potential to win-out all their FCS games (they've already played Chatty, Sammy and Wofford), but I sense an upset in the boro.

ElCid
October 10th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I am very excited, Haven't been to the boro in quite a while. Going with like a '51 grad. I'm driving.;) He has tickets with a Ga So grad so we have to sit on the wrong side.xsmiley_wix It will be great though. Going to tailgate with some Eagles at 1130 and enjoy a great Saturday College Football game! Hope we win. My preacher is an Eagle and I figure on giving him my every attention Sunday morning if we win. Can I have an Amen!

PaladinFan
October 11th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I am very excited, Haven't been to the boro in quite a while. Going with like a '51 grad. I'm driving.;) He has tickets with a Ga So grad so we have to sit on the wrong side.xsmiley_wix It will be great though. Going to tailgate with some Eagles at 1130 and enjoy a great Saturday College Football game! Hope we win. My preacher is an Eagle and I figure on giving him my every attention Sunday morning if we win. Can I have an Amen!

Unless they've changed it, I'd probably prefer to sit on the home side and avoid the student section.

pike51
October 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Unless they've changed it, I'd probably prefer to sit on the home side and avoid the student section.

Especially this season with the construction. I thin kit won't be as bad in the future with the plan to put students up on the mid deck. But right now, they've cut back on available seating on the visitors side so it's a mess.

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 11th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say, there really is no right side in Paulson if you're a visiting fan, but the home side will probably treat you better than the students.

pike51
October 11th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say, there really is no right side in Paulson if you're a visiting fan, but the home side will probably treat you better than the students.

Unless you sit next to me... then I'm going to send you to get drinks all night. :) Isn't that what they train for? :)

CID1990
October 11th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Unless you sit next to me... then I'm going to send you to get drinks all night. :) Isn't that what they train for? :)

You can't out-funny me. The first post was the piece de la resistance of this thread.

pike51
October 11th, 2013, 10:01 AM
You can't out-funny me. The first post was the piece de la resistance of this thread.

Who said I was being funny? Porter boy.

ThompsonThe
October 11th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Think some people may need to sign up for Obamacare before they go -
even as much as I hate Obamacare.

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g321/CRE48/Banners-%20Conference%20Maps-%20School%20Emblems/Appalachian%20State/NAVYflagpix_zps0022845b.jpg (http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/CRE48/media/Banners-%20Conference%20Maps-%20School%20Emblems/Appalachian%20State/NAVYflagpix_zps0022845b.jpg.html)

ElCid
October 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM

Shoot, I don't mind sitting next to you as long as you are not infested.:D

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?142882-GSU-Who-knew
(http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?142882-GSU-Who-knew)
I will even fly if you buy. I'm no fool.

Eagle22
October 11th, 2013, 09:54 PM

Drop by F-25 on the front row for a cold beer if you care to ...

Seven Would Be Nice
October 12th, 2013, 12:02 AM

I think I will. Thanks for the invite.

ElCid
October 12th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Thanks. I will try and do that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 07:11 AM
This game comes down to turnovers and special teams like the last two - well really the last 3 - games in the series.

At least our special teams are pretty decent and field goal kicking is light years better than last year.

Sandlapper Spike
October 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I'm anticipating a fairly high-scoring game. I agree that turnovers are likely going to be a big factor, as they usually are.

Ivytalk
October 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM
GSU wins, 28-21. Monken's fannies not whipped.

GATA_Eagles
October 12th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Nice to meet some of The Citadel people I did. Great people hope everyone makes it home safely

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Why does this game seem to have at least one team playing terrible special teams? Personally, I blame the refs.

ElCid
October 12th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Nice meeting you guys. All the GaSo fans were great. Very hospitable. We could not walk down the road without getting offers of food and drink. The facilities are going to be pretty good by the look of all the construction. You really were much better than us today, but we just kept getting breaks when needed. That is the only reason we were still in it at the end. I haven't even see the stats yet but our offense was inconsistent to say the least. You guys were fast on the outside. That one receiver of yours that kept snagging catches is pretty good as well, can't remember his name. Thanks again for the hospitality!

ChiefGSU275
October 12th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Nice meeting you guys. All the GaSo fans were great. Very hospitable. We could not walk down the road without getting offers of food and drink. The facilities are going to be pretty good by the look of all the construction. You really were much better than us today, but we just kept getting breaks when needed. That is the only reason we were still in it at the end. I haven't even see the stats yet but our offense was inconsistent to say the least. You guys were fast on the outside. That one receiver of yours that kept snagging catches is pretty good as well, can't remember his name. Thanks again for the hospitality!

BJ Johnson. That's was a fun game to watch. The citadel crowd was loud and supportive of their team. Games are so much better when the visiting team has supporters. Citadels QB Dupree is small but FAST. Not sure why they went away from him, I'm guessing #12 is a better passer.

Eagle22
October 12th, 2013, 06:08 PM

Pleasure meeting up with you as well ! Don't tell too many folks we were hospitable, we have a reputation to uphold ....

Good luck to your guys the rest of the way ... see you back in Paulson in 2015 when we have things rebuilt, including the team ;)

ElCid
October 12th, 2013, 06:10 PM
BJ Johnson. That's was a fun game to watch. The citadel crowd was loud and supportive of their team. Games are so much better when the visiting team has supporters. Citadels QB Dupree is small but FAST. Not sure why they went away from him, I'm guessing #12 is a better passer.

Dupree is much faster but Miller is the better passer. Dupree is so short he has to roll out just to be able to see the receivers, he can't see over the O-line. I just saw the stats. Pretty pitiful. Plus GaSo TOP was almost 40 minutes! It is a miracle we did not lose by much more. I kind of wish I was with the Cid fans but we were on the home side sort of surrounded. But it was with Ga So friends so it was all good.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Stat of the game. The citadel ran the ball 25 times all day.

eaglewraith
October 12th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Stat of the game. The citadel ran the ball 25 times all day.

They only ran 47 plays all day. They had a LOT of 3 and outs.

Amazing that we let them back into the game at the end. We dominated the whole game, then went into prevent offense in the second half and screwed around.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 10:02 PM
They only ran 47 plays all day. They had a LOT of 3 and outs.

Amazing that we let them back into the game at the end. We dominated the whole game, then went into prevent offense in the second half and screwed around.

That is a low number, probably so many 3 and outs because they threw the ball 22 times out of a triple option look.

Gringer1
October 12th, 2013, 11:21 PM
The triple option is a play, not an entire offense and certainly not an alignment.

chattownmocs
October 12th, 2013, 11:38 PM
The triple option is a play, not an entire offense and certainly not an alignment.

Its an offense. Everyone knows it is. Get real.

seantaylor
October 13th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Screwing around with the offense that has brought us unequaled acclaim in this division still makes me shake a rube. We were missing 22 scholarship players I heard. I still think that more than half of those guys could play, but we are red shirting them in this throwaway season.

blueballs
October 13th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Screwing around with the offense that has brought us unequaled acclaim in this division still makes me shake a rube. We were missing 22 scholarship players I heard. I still think that more than half of those guys could play, but we are red shirting them in this throwaway season.

Monken stated that 27 players were out for the game Saturday, of those 16 are out for the season. That's a bunch.

The Savannah fishwrap stated that 10 true frosh were playing too. It sure would've been nice to redshirt them...

Seven Would Be Nice
October 14th, 2013, 02:57 PM

The problem is that we won't be in this division much longer. After watching PJ struggle at GT for so many years now, I'm fine making some adjustments.

GATA_OneMoreTime
October 14th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Its an offense. Everyone knows it is. Get real.
Chattown has spoken. The triple option shall forever be known as an offense not a play that can be run out of multiple sets from this point forward. Glad we got that cleared up by a true football expert that has witnessed so much success with his team...

chattownmocs
October 14th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Chattown has spoken. The triple option shall forever be known as an offense not a play that can be run out of multiple sets from this point forward. Glad we got that cleared up by a true football expert that has witnessed so much success with his team...

Its an offense. If you recruit your entire offense around a play, that play is your offense. When you call players "A" back "B" back etc. Its an offense. When you decide to do other things using players that were recruiters for that offense, you will fail.

ElCid
October 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Its an offense. If you recruit your entire offense around a play, that play is your offense. When you call players "A" back "B" back etc. Its an offense. When you decide to do other things using players that were recruiters for that offense, you will fail.

There is truth in this. I think Ga So's, The Citadel's and Wofford's effectiveness this year, if not their numbers, testify to this. Each has tried to expand it repertoire in regard to its offense, and each has struggled to match it's rushing effectiveness as a result. Each has done so for a different reason but the affect had been the same, and that is a less effective running game.

GATA
October 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
There is truth in this. I think Ga So's, The Citadel's and Wofford's effectiveness this year, if not their numbers, testify to this. Each has tried to expand it repertoire in regard to its offense, and each has struggled to match it's rushing effectiveness as a result. Each has done so for a different reason but the affect had been the same, and that is a less effective running game.

It's a play. There isn't a debate here.

ElCid
October 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM
It's a play. There isn't a debate here.

Of course its a play. But when your entire offense is built around that play it kind of becomes an offense. Calling it an "offense" or a "play" is just semantics and not even worthy of any debate. But....either way, when you try and do something else, you usually suck at it. You cannot deny this. Last time I checked GaSo does not have a stable FULL of All-Conference receivers. Does it? Oh that's right, try none....although that Johnson guy is pretty good. But I am saying in general. It is just too hard to try and achieve consistent success in the passing game if you run the option predominantly. You end up sucking at both. There is a difference between running an occasional pass and trying to accomplish a drive entirely through the air. And that was the only point I was trying to make.

CID1990
October 14th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I want to see if Chattown can troll you guys into 5 pages of semantic argument

eaglewraith
October 15th, 2013, 06:47 AM

Actually for us it has a lot to do with injuries and lack of a cohesive offensive strategy in many games due to the personnel issues we're experiencing. It's like we want to straddle the line of implementing these new changes but run the same old stuff...unfortunately for us we've run out of fullbacks so we're running out of options (no pun intended).

ElCid
October 15th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Actually for us it has a lot to do with injuries and lack of a cohesive offensive strategy in many games due to the personnel issues we're experiencing. It's like we want to straddle the line of implementing these new changes but run the same old stuff...unfortunately for us we've run out of fullbacks so we're running out of options (no pun intended).

Well put.

pike51
October 15th, 2013, 08:32 AM
I want to see if Chattown can troll you guys into 5 pages of semantic argument

Really? Why not give the guy a real challenge?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?135592-Official-2013-Chattanooga-Who-is-laughing-now-Thread