PDA

View Full Version : jackson state proposed domed stadium website

dcpsujag
October 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM
http://www.jsums.edu/dome

IBleedYellow
October 9th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Domes rock, but make sure you can expand it somehow.

MplsBison
October 9th, 2013, 10:10 AM

You can always expand. Just a matter of how much money you want to pay.

grayghost06
October 9th, 2013, 10:19 AM

I know that you all up there in South Canada have cold weather problems that the rest of us don't have to deal with. But this is Jackson, Mississippi for crying out loud.

Football is meant to be played outdoors

Grantland Rice's famous football story:

New York Herald Tribune on October 18,1924 describing the Notre Dame vs. Army game played at the Polo Grounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo_Grounds):
Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden.

It just wouldn't sound right if it had said, "Outlined against a shiny steel saucer-like roof"

walliver
October 9th, 2013, 10:22 AM

It's a 50,000 seat venue. There would not be much reason to expand it. Last year's attendance varied from 6,500 to 20,000 with 30,000 for their "classic" game. The venue would rarely sell out.

pike51
October 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM
It's a 50,000 seat venue. There would not be much reason to expand it. Last year's attendance varied from 6,500 to 20,000 with 30,000 for their "classic" game. The venue would rarely sell out.

But this allows them to have Kanye West play a concert since he will only perform indoors. I figure they'd get at least dozens of people there for that.

BluBengal07
October 9th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I know that you all up there in South Canada have cold weather problems that the rest of us don't have to deal with. But this is Jackson, Mississippi for crying out loud.

New York Herald Tribune on October 18,1924 describing the Notre Dame vs. Army game played at the Polo Grounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo_Grounds):
Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden.

It just wouldn't sound right if it had said, "Outlined against a shiny steel saucer-like roof"

"Why a domed stadium?
There is no facility in Jackson or the region that can accommodate a crowd of 10,000 or more for concerts, sporting activities, professional team exhibitions or special events while protecting spectators from inclement weather and summer heat. Jackson misses out on such major events because it currently has no venue. By working with SMG management group, which has relationships with 200 stadiums and arenas, Jackson State University will be able to route such events to the stadium. JSU will only use the facility up to 50 days a year so the space can be rented for numerous other events. The stadium is based on the concept of the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y., which serves Syracuse University and the community with about 220 events a year."

"Why 50,000 seats for football?
The goals of this project were to “think big” and do something that changes the dynamics of JSU, the City of Jackson and the State of Mississippi. The dome will be that game changer.
The difference in cost to build 35,000 versus 50,000 seats is about $12 to 14 million. It is a better investment to build big now rather than to incur additional costs for future expansions. JSU’s enrollment plan calls for 15,000 students in a few years. As the student population grows, so will game attendance. If each student brought a friend to a football game, we could have 25,000 to 30,000 people in attendance. In the future, additional activities such as professional football team exhibitions, NBA exhibitions and/or games, Battle of the Bands events and more will need the large seating capacity."

But this allows them to have Kanye West play a concert since he will only perform indoors. I figure they'd get at least dozens of people there for that. - Pike51
this will not be a black only thing. this venue will host events of different genres of entertainment to reach the different populations of the Jackson area and the state of Mississippi.

if you have future question, checkout the FAQ page on http://www.jsums.edu/dome/frequently-asked-questions/ (http://www.jsums.edu/dome/frequently-asked-questions/)most of your questions, concerns and comments are pretty much addressed there. JSU has been addressing these and other for some time now. it's not a surprise find. outside of that GO JACKSON STATE TIGERS!

Hammerhead
October 9th, 2013, 01:07 PM
" If each student brought a friend to a football game, we could have 25,000 to 30,000 people in attendance." I'm sure there are at least some students who don't like football (even down south where college football is king), go home for the weekends, or have jobs that prevent them from going to the games.

TigerFen
October 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM
That is quite a risky proposition for a small city like Jackson, MS. They would probably be better off doing something like the Fargo Dome and do a 20,000 seat stadium that with 15,000 students would mostly sell out.

rokamortis
October 9th, 2013, 01:13 PM
" If each student brought a friend to a football game, we could have 25,000 to 30,000 people in attendance." I'm sure there are at least some students who don't like football (even down south where college football is king), go home for the weekends, or have jobs that prevent them from going to the games.

Yeah, that a very weak position of support. What percentage of students actually attend now?

clenz
October 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM
That is quite a risky proposition for a small city like Jackson, MS. They would probably be better off doing something like the Fargo Dome and do a 20,000 seat stadium that with 15,000 students would mostly sell out.
They aren't doing it specifically for football....

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah, that a very weak position of support. What percentage of students actually attend now?

Yeah. Seriously. Wait, why stop at one? If everyone brought 2 friends, you could fill an 80,000 seat stadium!

BluBengal07
October 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
They aren't doing it specifically for football....

they know... it's just self-glorification going on in here now. xcoffeex

more than likely, if it was in a different conference it seems other than SWAC, there will be more FCS support; congrats, good luck, looks good, etc. JSU goes through the same thing with the state. state pretty much said they'll support quicker if it wasn't near JSU, ran by JSU.

NDSUstudent
October 9th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Looks great! NDSU fans are jealous!

IBleedYellow
October 9th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Awww, is your graphical location towards the United States somehow related to your self worth? I'm sorry.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Funny, NDSU plays football in any field you give them. Artificial, grass, dome, open air. Someday they may offer a false superiority championship but until then, come back to the dome and lose again some time.

Franks Tanks
October 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM
This is a state that is usually listed as having the worst public schools in the country.

Fellow Mississippi HBCU state schools, Valley State and Alcorn, were and are still in jeopardy of closing.

Jackson State aleady has a stadium that is never close to being filled. This is not needed, and the state can't afford it.

pike51
October 9th, 2013, 02:09 PM
But this allows them to have Kanye West play a concert since he will only perform indoors. I figure they'd get at least dozens of people there for that. - Pike51
this will not be a black only thing. this venue will host events of different genres of entertainment to reach the different populations of the Jackson area and the state of Mississippi.

I didn't mean my comment as a black/white thing... Kanye was scheduled to play at Paulson Stadium st Georgia Southern a few years back and pulled out a day or two before because he "didn't perform outdoors." So I was taking a jab at him. Seeing as this would be in Jackson, I envision everything from 2 Chainz to Old Crow Medicine Show to Michael Bolton. :)

BluBengal07
October 9th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I didn't mean my comment as a black/white thing... Kanye was scheduled to play at Paulson Stadium st Georgia Southern a few years back and pulled out a day or two before because he "didn't perform outdoors." So I was taking a jab at him. Seeing as this would be in Jackson, I envision everything from 2 Chainz to Old Crow Medicine Show to Michael Bolton. :)

my mistake pike51.
got ahead of myself. was in the groove of informing. thanks for the detail though.

frozennorth
October 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM
50,000 seems maybe a bit big, but go for it.

BluBengal07
October 9th, 2013, 09:02 PM
50,000 seems maybe a bit big, but go for it.

yea, 50k for football stills seems strong at the time to me too. that's no where close to the current average and hovering the old average since the early 2000s.
but since it's not a football only kind of facility, i'm better with it. time will tell. but it seems JSU is talking bigger than a SWAC future. things are still developing.

however, here is some Jackson, MS detail. the current stadium(Memorial) that JSU plays is in the a way of a major expansion plan for the area's major hospital. the state is on the hook in supporting JSU on a on-campus stadium that was promise yearssss ago. the state helped every other university's stadium and JSU is still in "i owe you". the governor is in high support to the expansion, however, that "i owe you" still stains. it's about to get interesting soon. this whole thing is a big old onion.

walliver
October 10th, 2013, 10:32 AM
It is an ambitious plan.

My personal bias is that football in the South should be played outside on real grass.
Indoor football at ETSU didn't work. Their new venue will be outside.
Indoor football at Georgia State is a disaster.
Indoor football for Tulane lead to a dramatic decline in the program (and they are moving back outside next year).
Basketball played in a giant facility doesn't work well. New Orleans couldn't keep an NBA team until a stand-alone BB arena was built.
$200 Million would build a very nice 20,000 seat arena and an expandable 35-50K outdoor football facility with luxury boxes, etc.

GAD
October 10th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Last year was not a good year for attendance at J-state but its not uncommon for them to have 3 home games that go well over 35k

BluBengal07
October 14th, 2013, 12:36 PM
January 2014 will have the next big update on this project. thanks for stopping by.

JSUBison
October 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM
January 2014 will have the next big update on this project. thanks for stopping by.

How do you think the politics would come into play with the existing convention center? I haven't lived in Jackson for several years, but I seem to remember the convention center always running in the red? Also didn't they build some other type of event center sort of near the train station down town? Just thinking that the politicians and those with "interests" might think why build another facility that will compete with those, even if it would allow for bigger events to come in. Hopefully the city of Jackson keeps their noses out of this and it stays in the state/university's power, the city will screw it up given half the chance.

MplsBison
October 14th, 2013, 06:39 PM
This is a state that is usually listed as having the worst public schools in the country.

Fellow Mississippi HBCU state schools, Valley State and Alcorn, were and are still in jeopardy of closing.

Jackson State aleady has a stadium that is never close to being filled. This is not needed, and the state can't afford it.

Yeah...but it's football and it's the south. What tiny, unhelpful amount of taxes they collect from the few wealthy residents and from the corporations who have factories in the state - must be spent on something. Might as well spend it on something that won't help most people in the state have a higher quality of life.

AggieManiac704
October 15th, 2013, 03:01 PM

It aint on a weekly basis...but uhhh........this looks filled...what you think sir?

walliver
October 15th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah...but it's football and it's the south. What tiny, unhelpful amount of taxes they collect from the few wealthy residents and from the corporations who have factories in the state - must be spent on something. Might as well spend it on something that won't help most people in the state have a higher quality of life.

Good tailgating and good football is a "higher quality of life".

BluBengal07
October 15th, 2013, 06:28 PM
How do you think the politics would come into play with the existing convention center? I haven't lived in Jackson for several years, but I seem to remember the convention center always running in the red? Also didn't they build some other type of event center sort of near the train station down town? Just thinking that the politicians and those with "interests" might think why build another facility that will compete with those, even if it would allow for bigger events to come in. Hopefully the city of Jackson keeps their noses out of this and it stays in the state/university's power, the city will screw it up given half the chance.

i haven't lived in Jackson for a while also; only for undergrad. well, the convention center is not equipped to host big time entertainment, it seems. but JSU is having some of it Homecoming concerts in there this week. there isn't nothing new over there, talked about it. i think it was mention in here earlier, but the city(politics) were researching on building a new arena to meet the demands of entertainers for today. (there is currently Mississippi Coliseum, but it's too old and no one wants to use it) when JSU came out with the dome(bigger than what they were planning), the city kind of slowed down on that started following JSU's developments. i've noticed in some publications and photos that the new mayor at and/or involved at different JSU events this fall.

It aint on a weekly basis...but uhhh........this looks filled...what you think sir?

that's a Jackson State and Southern game. might be the most underrated/recognized game in HBCUs and one of the most in FCS.

MplsBison
October 15th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Good tailgating and good football is a "higher quality of life".

For 0.00001% of the state population, sure. Stadiums should be built with bonds that are replayed by the university over the course of 30 years, using money from alumni donations and increased student fees, etc. (if the students vote to approve the increase)

GAD
October 16th, 2013, 03:26 AM

Actually for the Southern/Jackson State game in 1999 the stadium was so full they turned away people with tickets, if you had not made it into the stadium by kickoff they didn't allow entery

ASU33
October 20th, 2013, 06:33 AM
I certainly hope that J-State can get it built. I can just imagine how much revenue it would generate for you guys.