PDA

View Full Version : Georgia St. cancels 2014 game at UTC, replaces them with Abilene Christian.

kdinva
October 8th, 2013, 10:51 AM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/10/georgia-state-play-at-wisconsin-2016-cancel-chattanooga-2014/

NoDak 4 Ever
October 8th, 2013, 10:59 AM
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/10/georgia-state-play-at-wisconsin-2016-cancel-chattanooga-2014/

They're being awfully optimistic thinking they'll actually have a football team in 2016

Catatonic
October 8th, 2013, 11:05 AM

ACU already has games against two FBS schools, Air Force and Troy. The Georgia State game make three.

ccd494
October 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM
ACU already has games against two FBS schools, Air Force and Troy. The Georgia State game make three.

Two and a quarter, two and a half tops.

CID1990
October 8th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Winning

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I think Georgia State ought to be commended for upgrading their schedule

Twentysix
October 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Lol, Trent Miles might have GSU turned around by then... I mean they will still suck, but they will probably win that game.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 8th, 2013, 11:42 AM
In other news, Georgia State has decided to change the mascot from the Panthers to a more representative one for their athletic program. Here is the new logo.

http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-Browns.jpeg

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Well, not surprised.

Every time the Mocs scored a touchdown during the GaSt game I thought to myself..."well there goes any chance of them returning the game in Chattanooga."

2014 is going to be really tough for the Mocs...ASU, GSU, Ga St, and Elon would have all been home games that the Mocs are now trying to replace. VMI and Mercer will replace two of those, but as of right now, UTC only has 4 home games of a 12 game schedule (VMI, Mercer, Samford, Wofford)

But hey, the Mocs will get a nice payday from GaSt...maybe it will be enough to buy a home game.

pike51
October 8th, 2013, 12:02 PM
In other news, Georgia State has decided to change the mascot from the Panthers to a more representative one for their athletic program. Here is the new logo.

http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-Browns.jpeg

That's the new William and Mary logo... below is the Georgia State version:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/cannonballgsu/DF.jpg

pike51
October 8th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Well, not surprised.

Every time the Mocs scored a touchdown during the GaSt game I thought to myself..."well there goes any chance of them returning the game in Chattanooga."

2014 is going to be really tough for the Mocs...ASU, GSU, Ga St, and Elon would have all been home games that the Mocs are now trying to replace. VMI and Mercer will replace two of those, but as of right now, UTC only has 4 home games of a 12 game schedule (VMI, Mercer, Samford, Wofford)

But hey, the Mocs will get a nice payday from GaSt...maybe it will be enough to buy a home game.

Actually, Chattanooga gets nothing. Part of the contract allowed GA State to get out of the game with no fee if they went FBS.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 8th, 2013, 12:05 PM
That's the new William and Mary logo... below is the Georgia State version:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/cannonballgsu/DF.jpg

Too lazy to photoshop. Kudos!

pike51
October 8th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Too lazy to photoshop. Kudos!

We have that on speed dial over on GSUFans. :)

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Actually, Chattanooga gets nothing. Part of the contract allowed GA State to get out of the game with no fee if they went FBS.

I just read the article now...yikes, that was a poor deal on our former AD's part...if there was a chance of them backing out after getting their asses whipped ;) you would think the Mocs would have pushed to get a home game first and a return game second.

Oh well. Smart move on GaSt part...there was no upside to coming to Chattanooga.

Tribal
October 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Firstly, FU, Pike. xblehx

Secondly, GA State scheduling a "lesser" opponent is the proverbial white flag. Not exactly sure why they think they can beat a D2 or NAIA team; I mean, history tells us they can't.

walliver
October 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Well, not surprised.

Has the 2014 SoCon schedule been released. Wofford generally plays at Chatty in odd numbered years, like this year. I've heard the SoCon is juggling the schedules, but thought that wasn't being announced until later.

Doesn't the SunBelt have a policy preventing it's members from playing games AT non-FBS opponents.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2013, 12:39 PM
2-1 odds ACU beats them. They're better than Chatty.

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 12:50 PM

Can't decide if this is sarcasm or Chattown induced stupidity.

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Doesn't the SunBelt have a policy preventing it's members from playing games AT non-FBS opponents.

I believe they do, but I assume they have an exception for schedules made before moving to the conference. Just a few years ago, WKU played at UTC in their last transition year (and after joining the SBC)

TheDancinMonarch
October 8th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Apparently the New Jersey School for the Disinterested didn't have a space on their schedule.

ElCid
October 8th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Well, not surprised.

I keep hearing that the SOCON will do a major revamp of the schedule so I would not count on anything right now.

kdinva
October 8th, 2013, 01:23 PM
I keep hearing that the SOCON will do a major revamp of the schedule so I would not count on anything right now.

I am confident once that is released, Mr. Hartsell will do a story/blog about it..... xcoffeex along with Mr. Frierson in Chatty......

NoDak 4 Ever
October 8th, 2013, 01:32 PM
I am confident once that is released, Mr. Hartsell will do a story/blog about it..... xcoffeex along with Mr. Frierson in Chatty......

and chattown will post the link like we give a ****.

ccd494
October 8th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Can we stop acting shocked? This game was never getting returned when GStU went FBS, whether UTC won in Atlanta or not.

ysubigred
October 8th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Hmm... How much better is DII Pittsburg State than Chatty, since they beat ACU last weekend xlolx

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Hmm... How much better is DII Pittsburg State than Chatty, since they beat ACU last weekend xlolx

And Tarleton State which beat ACU the week before.

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Can we stop acting shocked? This game was never getting returned when GStU went FBS, whether UTC won in Atlanta or not.

I don't think many knew there was no buyout clause (I was under the impression there was a significant payout if they canceled)...so actually, I thought they might still play leading up to the game...particularly if they had won in Atlanta.

Catatonic
October 8th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Fwiw, Massey Ranks Pittsburg State at 149, Tarleton at 180 and Chatty at 191. So by at least one opinion, Pitt State is 40 or so places better than the Mocs.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2013&sub=199231

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Fwiw, Massey Ranks Pittsburg State at 149, Tarleton at 180 and Chatty at 191. So by at least one opinion, Pitt State is 40 or so places better than the Mocs.

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2013&sub=199231

And ACU is ranked 261.

And Georgia State 281.

And it might be noted that Massey has Riverside Community College ranked 29th in all of college football...which is an impressive ranking considering they just squeaked by 2-2 Saddleback College.

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 05:40 PM

Not so fast my friend (which is why they are still waiting on the Chattanooga response).

UTC's legal counsel reads the contract as stating that they could back out with no penalty if they moved up and canceled the contract...but once the first game was played (having already declared that they were FBS and still saying publicly that they planned to honor both games), the full contract was then binding...which means they either play or pay.

Of course, what will actually happen is that they will argue back and forth and meet monetarily somewhere in the middle. UTC will get paid a buyout, but probably just not the full amount (which I had been told was $250K)

dungeonjoe
October 8th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Not so fast my friend (which is why they are still waiting on the Chattanooga response).

UTC's legal counsel reads the contract as stating that they could back out with no penalty if they moved up and canceled the contract...but once the first game was played (having already declared that they were FBS and still saying publicly that they planned to honor both games), the full contract was then binding...which means they either play or pay.

Of course, what will actually happen is that they will argue back and forth and meet monetarily somewhere in the middle. UTC will get paid a buyout, but probably just not the full amount (which I had been told was $250K)

I understand the contract was written on a Burger King napkin. But since it involves UTC, it is the best contract ever written. There is even an entire thread about it on the American Bar Association's message board entitled: "Chatty-Georgia State Contract-Who is Laughing Now?

Saint3333
October 8th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Can't decide if this is sarcasm or Chattown induced stupidity.

I feel sorry for you. I've always respected your posts, sorry one jackass UTk fan has ruined the perception of UTC on here.

chattanoogamocs
October 8th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I feel sorry for you. I've always respected your posts, sorry one jackass UTk fan has ruined the perception of UTC on here.

Thanks Saint...us AGS old-timers know what's what.

The worst part is our screen names are close enough to each other that I worry people confuse us from time to time (which is why my avatar now has a picture of me, and son, on it)

(For more: See Dungeonjoe's post above)

justintyem
October 8th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Georgia State to play at Wisconsin in 2016, Canceling Chattanooga in 2014 (http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/10/georgia-state-play-at-wisconsin-2016-cancel-chattanooga-2014/) Georgia State will travel to face Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison on Sept. 17, 2016. Wisconsin will pay the Panthers a $1.2 million guarantee and there will be an $800,000 fee if either team cancels the contest without mutual consent.