PDA

View Full Version : Booster Group Trying to Revive UMES Football

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 01:19 PM
The MEAC wouldn't know what to do with all these football schools if UMES gets football. They have Winston Salem State already beginning the process to move to I-AA, North Carolina Central will begin next year. That'd give them 11 football institutions. Throw in UMES or even a Savannah St, that'd be 12. Then, the questions would come between a MEAC Championship Game or I-AA playoffs...

The article does mention that UMES would consider non-scholarship football as an option with getting to the MEAC the long-term goal. The university has already said it has no intentions on football, but if the folks raise the money to get the gridiron gang back at what was once a power, it definitely sounds like a plan!

Good luck boosters!

==============
Booster group is hawkish on reviving UMES football
By Kent Baker
Sun reporter
Originally published September 29, 2006

Some futile efforts have been made to revive football at UMES, which had a rich history in the sport until its team was disbanded after the 1979 season.

"Those attempts fell through the cracks because of insufficient money," said Joanne Johnson-Shaw, the chairwoman for Hawks For Football Inc., the latest group attempting a breakthrough. "But I believe that once everybody is convinced that we are committed, they're going to get on board."

Because of the expense involved, the school administration has balked at restoring a program that produced a sizable number of NFL players, including the likes of Oakland Raiders coach Art Shell, Roger Brown, Gerald Irons, Johnny Sample, Emerson Boozer and Mack Alston.

A feasibility study submitted to school president Thelma Thompson last summer brought a recommendation that football not be reinstated at this time.

But that is not deterring Hawks For Football, which has created two endowment funds - including one in the name of legendary coach Skip McCain - and is planning a Legends Banquet featuring the former pros next year. The group also has enlisted former Hawk Billy Thompson, the director of player relations for the Denver Broncos, as a spokesman,

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/bal-sp.colnotes29sep29,0,2158382.story

aztecjim
September 30th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I suggested in another thread that the MEAC,SWAC and the other HBCUs in the division separate into three separate conferences for one big reason. Right now the SWAC and MEAC get two spots in the various tournaments,nver get wisper of a at-large,and are usually seeded at or near the bottom of the field.Make three leagues and you get an extra share of the money.
Possible future:
SWAC-Texas Southern,Grambling,Southern,PVA&M,UA-PB,MVSU,Jackson State,Alcorn State
new-AA&M,Alabama State,Bethune Cookman,FA&MU,Savannah State,SCSU,Tennessee State,NCA&T
MEAC-Delaware State,Hampton,Howard,Morgan State,Norfolk State,NC Central,WSSU,and UM-ES(is Coppin Sate far behind?)