PDA

View Full Version : JMU - VMI In-game

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM
VMI won the toss, deferred to 2nd half. JMU returns to the 35.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 12:14 PM
7 - 0 JMU, 7:11 to go in the first.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
VMI misses a 39yd FG.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
10 - 0 JMU, 12:30 to go in the 2nd.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 12:51 PM
TD JMU, 17-0 in the 2nd, 6:08 to go.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
JMU driving again, 1st down at the 23.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM
TD JMU. AB with his 3rd of the day. 24-0 JMU, 54 seconds to go in the half.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
TD Mo early in the 4th. 31-0, JMU.

thirdgendin
September 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM
I miss picking up big wins against VMI every year. :rotateh: :rotateh:

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Another TD, Antoinne Bolton this time. 38-0, JMU. 9:22 to go in the 4th.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM
TD VMI.

38-7 JMU.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
TD backup QB Rodney Landers, 45-7 JMU

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I miss picking up big wins against VMI every year. :rotateh: :rotateh:

You guys havent lost to VMI since '79. Impressive.

JMU 45
VMI 7

Final.

thirdgendin
September 30th, 2006, 02:31 PM
You guys havent lost to VMI since '79. Impressive.

JMU 45
VMI 7

Final.

Yeah, it was a guaranteed W every year and a beautiful road trip every two seasons. Congrats on the OOC win today.

th0m
September 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks! Good luck against Woffy.

Linehawg
October 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM
You guys (Furman) havent lost to VMI since '79. Impressive.

Many of those Furman games were lop-sided blowouts but the last win was a 6-3 VMI win in '89, right?

Linehawg
October 1st, 2006, 11:24 PM
From the nosebleed section:

Good: Nice crowd (8,800+), great weather, and the new pork BBQ sandwiches at VMI were great (but a bit overpriced). Rats actually looked enthused for a change...helped keep the players motivated...well, until the beach ball came out in the third quarter and it was clear none of them were watching the game after that. On thie field, back-up freshman Kyle Hughes (10 of 13 for 113 w/ 1 TD) did a great job starting for the injury-plagued KeyDets. McKinney impressive again at Mike LB even with typical freshman mistakes. No turnovers again--in spite of those ridiculously dangerous heart-attack pitches that are a disaster waiting to happen in an option offense.:nod:

Bad: You gotta hand it to VMI. When something isn't working, they'll stick with it. It only took JMU a quarter to adjust to the slow-motion option and the outside game was shut down from that point forward. Mostly-senior Def line once again taken out the plays way too easily. Rascati had all the time in the world to throw. The JMU o-line is the weakest of the teams we've faced so far and I expected better. I liked Eric Hall's emotion but the rest of the team seems listless and emotionless. Are they really discouraged from cheering for their teammates from the sidelines? Two games in a row the defense had the oppossing QB for a huge loss and let him off the hook with a comical demonstration of sandlot football tackling. Once again, poor tackling and a lack of hitters at VMI gave away way too much free real estate.:nonono2:

Ugly: The VMI o-line got progressively worse after the Davidson game. Sure the competition got a little tougher but the running game is going nowehere with this undersized o-line and passing QBs that are not option QBs. I predicted last week teams would load the box on this weak o-line and JMU did just that. No QB protection (3 sacks and 56 yards backwards) and almost no substitution so they're wasted by the end of each half while the frequently substituting d-lines are kicking their butts. Then they trot off the field like they don't care. You could see it on their faces -- "I'm a starter, I got my letter" I've also begun to notice how poorly the ends and backs are blocking. No wonder the option is going nowhere. Unfair? I'm a numbers guy and 2.3 pathetic yards per carry says it all. I'm no coach but when is a shakeup appropriate?:bang:

The Dukes were going to win but VMI did little to help themselves. Let's hope some major changes are in store before this same bunch shows up on TV against Army next week at West Point. In spite of all of this, I'm actually encouraged by some of what I've seen and feel better about conference play starting in two weeks than I did a while back. These are early chapters in the Jim Reid saga at VMI and still a lot of football left to go.

th0m
October 2nd, 2006, 04:04 AM
Many of those Furman games were lop-sided blowouts but the last win was a 6-3 VMI win in '89, right?

According to www.diaafootball.com, the last VMI win over Furman was a 21-20 W in 1979. The score in 1989 was a 30-6 win for Furman.

Nice post-game write-up. I didn't know our O-line was that bad, if so I hope it improves for the rest of the season. In what aspect was it noticeable? (I'm listening to all JMU games over the radio, so I miss things like that)

Linehawg
October 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM
According to www.diaafootball.com, the last VMI win over Furman was a 21-20 W in 1979. The score in 1989 was a 30-6 win for Furman.

Between my memory and old media guides either one of us could be right.

Nice post-game write-up. I didn't know our O-line was that bad, if so I hope it improves for the rest of the season. In what aspect was it noticeable? (I'm listening to all JMU games over the radio, so I miss things like that)

Thanks but it was more of a vent than a write-up. I didn't mean to imply "bad" I just meant the o-lines we've seen so far (Norfolk St, Wm & Mary and Richmond) were better so I thought our d-line would do better. What you couldn't hear on the radio was a host of small things (assignment misses, hand usage/hands outside, hips too high, etc) that I think a better d-line is going to take advantage off. Chris Malone (O-line coach) may fix those but some of it was just inexperience from the younger guys.

Another little fun thing you miss on the radio: Whoever #51 for JMU is made a big impression as well. Came down on the RB's head with his knee out of bounds and that got all of our attention. Ref's missed it but all of us right in front of it didn't. He'll be remembered.

Patrick Ward (#10) made some nice catches for the Dukes. Also had two special teams tackles. They need to use him more.

JMU2004
October 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Between my memory and old media guides either one of us could be right.

Thanks but it was more of a vent than a write-up. I didn't mean to imply "bad" I just meant the o-lines we've seen so far (Norfolk St, Wm & Mary and Richmond) were better so I thought our d-line would do better. What you couldn't hear on the radio was a host of small things (assignment misses, hand usage/hands outside, hips too high, etc) that I think a better d-line is going to take advantage off. Chris Malone (O-line coach) may fix those but some of it was just inexperience from the younger guys.

Another little fun thing you miss on the radio: Whoever #51 for JMU is made a big impression as well. Came down on the RB's head with his knee out of bounds and that got all of our attention. Ref's missed it but all of us right in front of it didn't. He'll be remembered.

Patrick Ward (#10) made some nice catches for the Dukes. Also had two special teams tackles. They need to use him more.

Hmm....funny that you mention the dirty play on JMU. I guess you just MISSED all the dirty crap from VMI. Did you happen to catch the play where #9 Willie Bell ended the season for one of our DBs? Nah, course not.

follow the link to read more. The first poster is the father of the guy injured

http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=51540

Linehawg
October 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
Did you happen to catch the play where #9 Willie Bell ended the season for one of our DBs? Nah, course not.

If true, this makes me a little sick and angry too. I've known Darrieus and his dad for years. Our sons crossed paths several times. I knew about the penalty but was watching the ball. I thought I saw him leave on his own power but never knew the extent of the injury. This kind of play is never justified from any player on any team. I'm sure we can agree on that. The implication that either team intentionally teaches or encourages such play is something I never implied nor would I ever agree with so your use of the schools rather than the players individually is something I totally reject as pure crap.. I appreciate you sharing this with me.