PDA

View Full Version : Loopy Cornell Students Call Homecoming "Culturally Insensitive"

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2013, 11:19 AM
http://cornellsun.com/blog/2013/10/06/cornell%E2%80%88apologizes-for-culturally-insensitive-marketing-campaign/

"Students and administrators alike condemned Cornell Athletics for running what they say was a culturally insensitive, Cinco de Mayo-themed marketing campaign that included encouraging community members to don sombreros and ponchos.
The marketing campaign, which was launched Wednesday to promote Cornell’s football game Saturday against Colgate University, was meant to “develop a festive atmosphere at the football game,” according to Jeff Hall, associate director of sales and marketing for Cornell Athletics.

The University also sent a promotional email asking community members to celebrate “Ithaca: Cinco de Octubre.” Cinco de Mayo, a holiday that celebrates the 1862 Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla, is celebrated on May 5.

“I was disappointed that this theme was stereotyping the Mexican culture of which I identify,” Martinez said. “I was especially troubled by the ‘photobooth’ activity, especially after one of my colleagues pointed out that the winner [is the person] with the ‘best costume,’ implying the best Mexican costume was going to win a prize. What better way to invite stereotyping of our culture?”

Several student groups and Latino community members contacted University officials saying the marketing campaign was offensive, culturally insensitive and inappropriate. As of Friday, the University had canceled all radio spots and removed all posters, social media posts and photos referring to the campaign, according to Hall.

“We [tried] to get the crowd rowdy, have free nachos, popcorn, etc. … But the sombreros or ponchos … it really got to the point where it was a little bit offensive to Latino heritage and culture [and] might be promoting them in a different light,” Hall said."

xrolleyesx

What's next? Cowboys offended by McNeese State promotions? PETA offended by Bison promotions? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I want to tell these yahoos to go to an MLB game sometime on a "heritage night" and see what they say about that. Or maybe a football game in Washington, DC. I mean, come on. xrolleyesx

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM
It's not a holiday. Lol. The kid who complained should have to write an essay about the Porfiriato.

Bill
October 7th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I'm still waiting for all the Irish Catholics in America to protest Notre Dame. After all, the fighting Irish are just a stereotype of Irish people who get drunk and fight, right ? xrotatehx

People need to get over themselves and grow thicker skins.

Bill
October 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Side note - when I saw the headline of your post, I actually thought Cornell students were protesting calling anything "homecoming", because homeless people would find it "offensive".

catbob
October 7th, 2013, 11:28 AM
You mean Mexicans don't wear sombreros and/or ponchos, and each nachos? Crap, my whole life has been a LIE.

superman7515
October 7th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Or maybe a football game in Washington, DC. I mean, come on. xrolleyesx

White people are highly offended by the Redskins name. It's unfortunate that Native Americans are too stupid to understand that they should be insulted. Clearly white males know what is best for them, as they have for every ethnicity throughout the history of the Americas, so I wish they would shut up about the whole 90% of Native Americans supporting the name and just listen for a while. Right?

I mean, the Cleveland Indians can sell hats with Chief Wahoo in blackface with a gold tooth, and obviously that's fine for both African-Americans and Native Americans. It's that pesky name in DC that is insulting.

Sandlapper Spike
October 7th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Side note - when I saw the headline of your post, I actually thought Cornell students were protesting calling anything "homecoming", because homeless people would find it "offensive".

That's next year's protest.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM
You mean Mexicans don't wear sombreros and/or ponchos, and each nachos? Crap, my whole life has been a LIE.

Nacho was his little brother! You don't eat Don Ignacio.

CFBfan
October 7th, 2013, 12:19 PM
isn't having a lion as your mascot politcaly incorrect and offensive to all big cats?

CFBfan
October 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I'm still waiting for all the Irish Catholics in America to protest Notre Dame. After all, the fighting Irish are just a stereotype of Irish people who get drunk and fight, right ? xrotatehx

People need to get over themselves and grow thicker skins.

it's ok to insult irish catholics just not irish muslims

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 12:21 PM
isn't having a lion as your mascot politcaly incorrect and offensive to all big cats?

Only things with opposable thumbs can be offended. ;)

PhillyApp1
October 7th, 2013, 12:48 PM
White people are highly offended by the Redskins name. It's unfortunate that Native Americans are too stupid to understand that they should be insulted. Clearly white males know what is best for them, as they have for every ethnicity throughout the history of the Americas, so I wish they would shut up about the whole 90% of Native Americans supporting the name and just listen for a while. Right?

I mean, the Cleveland Indians can sell hats with Chief Wahoo in blackface with a gold tooth, and obviously that's fine for both African-Americans and Native Americans. It's that pesky name in DC that is insulting.

I am of latin heritage & from Philly. You can call me what ever you want, it just has to be in a complimentary way. "The Redskins" is displayed as a compliment or it would not be the name of a team. How about we change the name to "The Proud Redskins" ?
I never thought of any of the names as BAD because no one would ever name themselves "idiots" "drunks" "Aholes". Well maybe a few of us do. We tailgate at the Ahole at APP games.

That's what is wrong with this stupid country. We have forgotten to embrace different cultures and religions and people. I went to a public high school that had Christmas and Hanukkah and any other event. Why don't just stop parade's?

pike51
October 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM

That would be Georgia State.

Kramer
October 7th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, some people actively look for reasons to be offended. I find it very tiresome.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM
http://cornellsun.com/blog/2013/10/06/cornell%E2%80%88apologizes-for-culturally-insensitive-marketing-campaign/

"Students and administrators alike condemned Cornell Athletics for running what they say was a culturally insensitive, Cinco de Mayo-themed marketing campaign that included encouraging community members to don sombreros and ponchos.
The marketing campaign, which was launched Wednesday to promote Cornell’s football game Saturday against Colgate University, was meant to “develop a festive atmosphere at the football game,” according to Jeff Hall, associate director of sales and marketing for Cornell Athletics.

The University also sent a promotional email asking community members to celebrate “Ithaca: Cinco de Octubre.” Cinco de Mayo, a holiday that celebrates the 1862 Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla, is celebrated on May 5.

“I was disappointed that this theme was stereotyping the Mexican culture of which I identify,” Martinez said. “I was especially troubled by the ‘photobooth’ activity, especially after one of my colleagues pointed out that the winner [is the person] with the ‘best costume,’ implying the best Mexican costume was going to win a prize. What better way to invite stereotyping of our culture?”

Several student groups and Latino community members contacted University officials saying the marketing campaign was offensive, culturally insensitive and inappropriate. As of Friday, the University had canceled all radio spots and removed all posters, social media posts and photos referring to the campaign, according to Hall.

“We [tried] to get the crowd rowdy, have free nachos, popcorn, etc. … But the sombreros or ponchos … it really got to the point where it was a little bit offensive to Latino heritage and culture [and] might be promoting them in a different light,” Hall said."

xrolleyesx

What's next? Cowboys offended by McNeese State promotions? PETA offended by Bison promotions? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I want to tell these yahoos to go to an MLB game sometime on a "heritage night" and see what they say about that. Or maybe a football game in Washington, DC. I mean, come on. xrolleyesx

Someone should swing by Cornell on March 17th to see what's going on....

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Seriously......if you are a minority...............go **** yourself right in face.

You have a lot of heavy lifting that you should be doing to lose your minority status instead of complaining about your stupid 3rd world feelings.

If anyone wants to meet a good Mexican, just show up at the Montana vs Cal Poly game and meet my friend Nick and his gf Melissa. They hate Mexicans and they are Mexican......great people and I for one am glad they swam across that river because we need more people like them in the USA.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I am of latin heritage & from Philly. You can call me what ever you want, it just has to be in a complimentary way. "The Redskins" is displayed as a compliment or it would not be the name of a team. How about we change the name to "The Proud Redskins" ?
I never thought of any of the names as BAD because no one would ever name themselves "idiots" "drunks" "Aholes". Well maybe a few of us do. We tailgate at the Ahole at APP games.

That's what is wrong with this stupid country. We have forgotten to embrace different cultures and religions and people. I went to a public high school that had Christmas and Hanukkah and any other event. Why don't just stop parade's?

Philly.......NO WAY you are of Latin heritage you didnt pull a switchblade once when you were on the bus in Missoula. I did see you double take that one lady when she cut you off in the beer line but other than that I call BS you are as American as I am.

xthumbsupx

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Philly.......NO WAY you are of Latin heritage you didnt pull a switchblade once when you were on the bus in Missoula. I did see you double take that one lady when she cut you off in the beer line but other than that I call BS you are as American as I am.

xthumbsupx

Pretty much every white person in the United States is of Latin heritage from one time or another ;), the catholic church was a pervasive ideology. When you say Mexican I assume you mean of indigenous heritage (Tepanec, Tarascan, Mexica etc.), essentially brown skin. A sizeable portion of Mexico is white.

http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/2/23/NBC's_The_More_You_Know.jpg

CFBfan
October 7th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Unfortunately, some people actively look for reasons to be offended. I find it very tiresome.

+1

ElCid
October 7th, 2013, 03:11 PM
What a bunch of dimwits. In case anyone does not understand this, it has nothing to do with protecting the alleged victims, it all has to do with a certain small, but vocal segment of society who want to tear down traditions, ALL traditions. Once they have done away with, they think they can rebuild the world into their image of a perfect world. Minorities, races, cultures, intelligence, sex, are all just fodder for their social engineering mill when they see an opportunity to exploit a situation. This is not getting rid of true injustice, this is above and beyond to suit THEIR road map of requirements.

Traditional sports, not just the mascots, will be their eventual target. It kind of already is, but they are treading softly. Hurting people on the playing field will eventually not be tolerated. Women will eventually be forced onto football teams. Some already have. And the hipocrisy of some of these people. If someone were to complain about a Demon as a mascot, they would clain it is just some Christian nut. On the other hand, the Braves or Redskins cannot be tolerated because it offends...three Indians, each of whom are 1/16 real American Indian and even though a bunch of other Indians are flattered to be recognized. I guess the Ivies just keep pumping out these kind of goons. I do believe that they would even protest the use of a Neanderthal as a mascot. They might even clone one from some viable DNA just to have a victim.

And if anyone thinks this is OK to do, then I demand that Toga parties stop, since I am decended from Romans (probably at least 1/64th). And I really want the Vikings out since I am descended fom Vikings (probably at least 1/4 via English ancestors). Oh, and the Patriots. That offends me since I have multiple ancestors who were in the Massachusett's Militia in 1775 and I don't think they should be denegrated by being a mascot. Yeah right.

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
What a bunch of dimwits. In case anyone does not understand this, it has nothing to do with protecting the alleged victims, it all has to do with a certain small, but vocal segment of society who want to tear down traditions, ALL traditions. Once they have done away with, they think they can rebuild the world into their image of a perfect world. Minorities, races, cultures, intelligence, sex, are all just fodder for their social engineering mill when they see an opportunity to exploit a situation. This is not getting rid of true injustice, this is above and beyond to suit THEIR road map of requirements.

Traditional sports, not just the mascots, will be their eventual target. It kind of already is, but they are treading softly. Hurting people on the playing field will eventually not be tolerated. Women will eventually be forced onto football teams. Some already have. And the hipocrisy of some of these people. If someone were to complain about a Demon as a mascot, they would clain it is just some Christian nut. On the other hand, the Braves or Redskins cannot be tolerated because it offends...three Indians, each of whom are 1/16 real American Indian and even though a bunch of other Indians are flattered to be recognized. I guess the Ivies just keep pumping out these kind of goons. I do believe that they would even protest the use of a Neanderthal as a mascot. They might even clone one from some viable DNA just to have a victim.

And if anyone thinks this is OK to do, then I demand that Toga parties stop, since I am decended from Romans (probably at least 1/64th). And I really want the Vikings out since I am descended fom Vikings (probably at least 1/4 via English ancestors). Oh, and the Patriots. That offends me since I have multiple ancestors who were in the Massachusett's Militia in 1775 and I don't think they should be denegrated by being a mascot. Yeah right.

Thanks Obama.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Pretty much every white person in the United States is of Latin heritage from one time or another ;), the catholic church was a pervasive ideology. When you say Mexican I assume you mean of indigenous heritage (Quiche, Tepanec, Tarascan, Mexica etc.), essentially brown skin. A sizeable portion of Mexico is white.

Evidently I didnt ladle on the sarcasm enough............................................ .........but thanks for the Archaeology lesson.

I know its not archaeology.............

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Evidently I didnt ladle on the sarcasm enough............................................ .........but thanks for the Archaeology lesson.

I know its not archaeology.............

Haha, it would be like... theo-sociology or something. Google Latindom and you can figure out what discipline claims that kind of a definition.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Geneology?

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Geneology?

Nah, thats being a Mormon.

Stalefishology.

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Im Mormon

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Im Mormon

Then you know all about genealogy.

ElCid
October 7th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Then you know all about genealogy.

I'm not Mormon, but I know all about geneology. You aren't being insensitive are you? You know what that can get you.xsmiley_wix

ALPHAGRIZ1
October 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I am offended by his comments...................

citdog
October 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
A sizeable portion of Mexico is white.

Thought this guy was the only white hispanic......

http://apleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/George_Zimmerman_5.jpg

Twentysix
October 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Thought this guy was the only white hispanic......

http://apleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/George_Zimmerman_5.jpg

How dare you forget about Louie.

http://www.loudvillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/louis-ck.jpeg

citdog
October 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM
How dare you forget about Louie.

http://www.loudvillage.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/louis-ck.jpeg

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2011/12/will-ferrell-casa-de-mi-padre-trailer.jpg

FCSfan
October 7th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I think the only culturally insensitive travesty here is cornell football

TheValleyRaider
October 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I think the only culturally insensitive travesty here is cornell football

I read this entire thread, and this post made it all worth it xsmileyclapx

LehighU11
October 7th, 2013, 07:02 PM
People who live in glass houses...

Honestly, we have quite our own share of loopy students on South Mountain. It doesn't get much more ridiculous than these "protests" that are going on at the moment, which were fueled by excessive violence involving a football player. Probably best to keep useless stories about other student bodies to yourself for the time being.

pokefan02
October 7th, 2013, 08:37 PM

McNeese has a real cowboy on a real horse with fans with real common sense plus we celebrate every day of the yearxbeerchugx

dgtw
October 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
l
PETA offended by Bison promotions? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

PETA asked Jax State to change their nickname because it glorified cock fighting.

PFI
October 7th, 2013, 09:14 PM
People who live in glass houses...

Honestly, we have quite our own share of loopy students on South Mountain. It doesn't get much more ridiculous than these "protests" that are going on at the moment, which were fueled by excessive violence involving a football player. Probably best to keep useless stories about other student bodies to yourself for the time being.

That was one of the stranger protests I've seen. Something about not having a voice but then ignoring the Brown and White when they want to give you one? Bizarre.

ace93
October 7th, 2013, 11:06 PM

Other than the "heritage night" example, your analogies are a bit off. The Cornell mascot has nothing to do with Mexico, so bringing up McNeese St, Bison teams or the Redskins is apples and oranges.

I think a promotion tthat includes food of a certain culture is fine. Cinco de octubre w/ Mexican themed foods is ok, but the donning of costumes crosses the line. You go from celebrating a culture to mocking one.

Vitojr130
October 8th, 2013, 04:03 AM
That would be Georgia State.

Nah. SDSU's Hobo Day comes to mind, if anything..

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2013, 06:51 AM
My dear First Lady is a Cornell grad. She explained to me that it is very much unlike Cornell identity interest groups, following an event such as this, to engage in a desperate search for a person of arguably Mexican heritage from whom to extract quotes expressing faux outrage and to offer hackneyed words of affront for use in a campus publication.

That's because they're usually able to get themselves on MSNBC, at minimum, to do that sort of thing. I think they're really slipping.

Ivytalk
October 8th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Keith Olbermann is a loopy Cornell grad. I rest my case.

Fordhamanhattan
October 8th, 2013, 01:33 PM
My cousin is a Cornell man. He idolized Fordham man G. Gordon Liddy in high school. He is now a sergeant on LAPD. Not all Cornell men are dirtbags.

McNeese72
October 8th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Only things with opposable thumbs can be offended. ;)

Uh, oh. The Pitt State Athletics can expect trouble and protest by gorilla groups, then. ;)

Doc

walliver
October 8th, 2013, 01:56 PM
"Cinco de Octubre" was a weird idea to begin with. When I think of mid-fall cooler football weather, tacos do not come to mind.
The response was over the top, however.

Political Correctness sucks the fun out of all celebrations.

Bogus Megapardus
October 8th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Keith Olbermann is a loopy Cornell grad. I rest my case.

Yeah, the First Lady had a run in with Olbermann way back then when they both were students up in Ithaca. Oddly enough, the First Lady was an actual varsity athlete and a starter at Cornell in those days. Keith Olbermann . . . . wasn't. xcoolx

PhillyApp1
October 8th, 2013, 07:15 PM
In some way you are right but i am slightly different. I am Cuban, originally from Spain 250+ years ago. Mexicans are generally Spainsh and Indian decent.

GreatAppSt
October 8th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Does taco bell advertise around Cornell with some of their corny stuff? Where's the protest to them?