PDA

View Full Version : Montana and Montana State to I-A?

chuges1
September 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Hey guys im new to the forums and just wanted to say hi. Im just curious what everyone's thoughts were on whether or not Montana and Montana State were moving up to 1A. I have heard a lot of debate on this situation and wanted to know if you guys knew anymore info on the subject than i do. Thanks in all opinions guys.

September 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
First, welcome to AGS! Second, click on search and check out the threads that talk about this... they exist in plenty. General synap, there is no good reason for the two D-I schools in Montana to go bowling. Both have won true D-I championships in football and gain very little if anything by playing football for bowls.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I'd hope both schools stay in the NCAA Championship Subdivision. Their fans are by far, among the most knowledgable fans that the I-AA world has at this point.

I would think that if one school jumped in classification that the other would follow. Of course, it's Montana that has had it's name thrown around more so than the school there in Bozeman...

BearsCountry
September 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I bet Southern Utah would love for them to move up, then they might get in the Big Sky.

chuges1
September 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Ya well thanks for the welcome guys....I think it would be a bad deal if they made the jump as well, but in a way i think that the Montanan's, like me, would really love it because it really would make a name for our schools. And ya i believe that the University of Montana would leave first, but without Montana State, our rivalry would die. So in a way they need to stick together...

BearsCountry
September 29th, 2006, 08:59 PM
First, welcome to AGS! Second, click on search and check out the threads that talk about this... they exist in plenty. General synap, there is no good reason for the two D-I schools in Montana to go bowling. Both have won true D-I championships in football and gain very little if anything by playing football for bowls.

More $$$, actually basketball and other sports would improve more than football more than likely in the WAC.

GOKATS
September 29th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Ya well thanks for the welcome guys....I think it would be a bad deal if they made the jump as well, but in a way i think that the Montanan's, like me, would really love it because it really would make a name for our schools. And ya i believe that the University of Montana would leave first, but without Montana State, our rivalry would die. So in a way they need to stick together...

I have no idea who you are (and I'm not sure if I'm excited about your choice of helmets based on two posts), but I'm guessing you're a closet griz just trying to cause trouble. Either that or you simply have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of I-AA football in Montana.

September 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM
More $$$, actually basketball and other sports would improve more than football more than likely in the WAC.You mean losing more $$$ right? BTW, are there other sports besides I-AA football? I guess I might find that out on the OTHER SPORTS board but the others are D-I already.

BearsCountry
September 29th, 2006, 09:23 PM
You mean losing more $$$ right? BTW, are there other sports besides I-AA football? I guess I might find that out on the OTHER SPORTS board but the others are D-I already.

I was talking about competition wise.

youwouldno
September 29th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Yawn.

Grizo406
September 29th, 2006, 11:07 PM
...it really would make a name for our schools.

Despite MSU's recent misfortune, both the Bobcats, and the Griz have already MADE A NAME for their respective schools.

SO ILLmatic
September 29th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Is it true that there is a legislation in the Montana government that prohibits Montana and Montana State from being in different divisions for football?

I thought i heard this somewhere on a different sure, im not positive if i read it correctly or if it was valid...

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Is it true that there is a legislation in the Montana government that prohibits Montana and Montana State from being in different divisions for football?

I thought i heard this somewhere on a different sure, im not positive if i read it correctly or if it was valid...

No, but there IS legislation that limits MSU to no more than 3 victories in any 20 year span. :read: :read: :read: :read:

chuges1
September 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I have no idea who you are (and I'm not sure if I'm excited about your choice of helmets based on two posts), but I'm guessing you're a closet griz just trying to cause trouble. Either that or you simply have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of I-AA football in Montana.

Why would you say that? How does a question make me know nothing about 1-AA football? I was just asking and for you to judge me is real cool on your part.

Green26
September 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM
There is no way that either UM or MSU will go to I-A, at least for the foreseeable future. Neither the board of regents, college presidents, athletic directors or many major supporters/donors (with perhaps a few exceptions) support or favor going I-A. If I-AA and the playoffs were to start to fall apart, or no longer be a viable option, then UM would evaluate the situation and perhaps consider going I-A.

chuges1
September 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
There is no way that either UM or MSU will go to I-A, at least for the foreseeable future. Neither the board of regents, college presidents, athletic directors or many major supporters/donors (with perhaps a few exceptions) support or favor going I-A. If I-AA and the playoffs were to start to fall apart, or no longer be a viable option, then UM would evaluate the situation and perhaps consider going I-A.

Hey thanks man, I appreciate your help. Thats kind of what I was hearing, but I just wanted to confirm that.

JALMOND
September 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
What Portland State has found out in talks with I-A conferences is that the only western conference that would possibly expand in the short future is the WAC. The Pac-10 has not added a new member since 1976 and the Mountain West has had their same members since they broke off from the WAC (reason given that those members did not like all the expansion the WAC was doing). When PSU looked at it, what we decided was why move to a mid-level I-A conference where travel costs would be astronomical (Hawaii to Louisiana) and is more well known nationwide as a basketball conference, where we got a good conference in the Big Sky, known for football at I-AA, travel costs are minimal, and there is a playoff system in place to determine the national champion. In the end, there was no way we could justify a move to I-A.

Hansel
September 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM
What Portland State has found out in talks with I-A conferences is that the only western conference that would possibly expand in the short future is the WAC. The Pac-10 has not added a new member since 1976 and the Mountain West has had their same members since they broke off from the WAC (reason given that those members did not like all the expansion the WAC was doing). When PSU looked at it, what we decided was why move to a mid-level I-A conference where travel costs would be astronomical (Hawaii to Louisiana) and is more well known nationwide as a basketball conference, where we got a good conference in the Big Sky, known for football at I-AA, travel costs are minimal, and there is a playoff system in place to determine the national champion. In the end, there was no way we could justify a move to I-A.
didn't the MWC just add TCU?

JALMOND
September 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM
didn't the MWC just add TCU?

Oops. Yeah. You're right. TCU came over from CUSA this year. Gives the MWC 9 teams now.

blur2005
September 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Oops. Yeah. You're right. TCU came over from CUSA this year. Gives the MWC 9 teams now.
Now that the MWC has TCU, they are now set with no plans to expand. Nine teams is perfect...with a team in Texas, more perfect.