PDA

View Full Version : DallasNews.com: Any more I-AA jokes?

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
SHSU and I-AA has never dealt with as much crap as we're hearing on the radio stations, reading in the newspapers and dealing with the media. You know, the fans of Texas have been pretty level-headed for the most part. It seems the media is just trying to feed a frenzy. This is ridiculous...

E-mailers aren't taking this one seriously
12:52 AM CDT on Friday, September 29, 2006

Any more I-AA jokes?

The wisecrackers have flooded my e-mail, and before we go further, does anyone else have a joke or thought about Texas' scheduling of Division I-AA Sam Houston State this week?

My favorite answer so far: "Because the cast of Friday Night Lights wasn't available."

By the way, anyone see that John Mackovic has been named by USA Football (didn't know it existed) to coach the U.S. national team (didn't know it existed) in something called the 3rd World Championship of American Football (didn't know it existed) next year in Kawasaki, Japan?

One e-mailer tried to lighten our day by saying, "There's 275,000 reasons Sam Houston State is playing this game." Another said, "Sam Houston State's going to get to the free throw line because starting receiver Michael Malone is the son of Moses Malone."

Enough. Texas plans to play to a standard, and Sam Houston State is hoping no one gets hurt (that's what coach Todd Whitten said on a conference call Tuesday.)

Another e-mailer said he was flummoxed about whether to load up the tailgate, stand out in the heat, cook the barbecue and gulp down drinks, only to leave after the first quarter "when Texas' score is the same as the temperature outside."

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/ut/stories/082906dnspoutletter.36d4463.html

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2006, 08:14 PM
All these people are doing is getting Sam's name out there. Now many more people will know about SHSU than did before the game. If our guys play hard an leave it all on the field, I'll bet we get more respect as well.

September 29th, 2006, 08:19 PM
All these people are doing is getting Sam's name out there. Now many more people will know about SHSU than did before the game. If our guys play hard an leave it all on the field, I'll bet we get more respect as well.There you go! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx Don't hurt them too bad now.

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2006, 08:23 PM
There you go! xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx Don't hurt them too bad now.

Joining in on the parade too huh ralph? :nonono2:

September 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Joining in on the parade too huh ralph? :nonono2:Obviously I meant for SHSU not to hurt the Longmouths too much.

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Obviously I meant for SHSU not to hurt the Longmouths too much.

I got that but I sensed some sarcasim there. :)

September 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I got that but I sensed some sarcasim there. :)BFPU, you don't know me too well then. I just thought it would be funny if their hurts were worse than yours... not wanting anyone to get hurt of course. They're made of flesh and bone too y'know, they are not unbreakable.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM
More from the Dallas Morning News...what's this about the Pac10 and SEC "picking" on I-AAs? Stanford. Mississippi St. Ring a bell?

Sam Houston State doesn't accomplish anything for Longhorns

By Gerry Fraley

The Dallas Morning News

(MCT)

DALLAS - Something ugly will take place on Saturday at Royal-Memorial Stadium in Austin.

Texas will drop way down in class to play a team from the parallel universe of Division I-AA football: Sam Houston State. The feisty Bearkats have lost their last five games against Division I-A opponents by an aggregate score of 242-65.

Is this any way a defending national champion should act?

Not really.

This will mark only the third time since 1987 that the defending national champion has played a I-AA team. Miami, in the interest of in-state goodwill, helped out Florida A&M with games and fat checks in 1991 and 2001.

"I'm a little surprised that people make it such an issue for us, because there are a lot of people in our league that play them as well," sniffed Longhorns coach Mack Brown as he leaped into a defensive posture.

No argument there. The NCAA's addition of a 12th game for this season has brought out the worst in the Big 12.

Only one conference team did not pick up a Division I-AA game: Oklahoma. Every other BCS conference had at least three teams say no to a I-AA game. The PAC-10 and SEC each had five teams pick on someone their own size.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/gfraley/stories/093006dnspofraley.279abf2.html

September 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
emailed him.

IaaScribe
September 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Great column ... sorry, this whole "wahhhhhh" I-AA is getting disrespected crap is just a little too much to take sometimes on this board.

There is nothing remotely disrespectful to Sam Houston State in this story. No cheap shots. Texas SHOULD be above playing weak I-AAs. And this year, Sam Houston fits that description.

bluehenbillk
September 29th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Old news... there was already a lengthy thread about this.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Great column ... sorry, this whole "wahhhhhh" I-AA is getting disrespected crap is just a little too much to take sometimes on this board.

There is nothing remotely disrespectful to Sam Houston State in this story. No cheap shots. Texas SHOULD be above playing weak I-AAs. And this year, Sam Houston fits that description.

Why do you say that? We have the best record in the conference. There is absolutly no evidence so far to suggest your statement.

IaaScribe
September 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Blackford ... the 45-14 loss to a terrible SMU team doesn't look good when you're trying to ascertain the Bearkats' strength this season. That's where my line of thinking is coming from.

And best record in the conference doesn't mean much right now, considering the amount of I-A games that have been played by Nicholls, SELA, etc. We'll see what happens as the season goes along.

TexasTerror
September 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Blackford ... the 45-14 loss to a terrible SMU team doesn't look good when you're trying to ascertain the Bearkats' strength this season. That's where my line of thinking is coming from.

SMU is not as bad as it seems...

Just wasted Arkansas St last week. We'll see what happens when C-USA play rolls around this week when they play at Tulane in the Superdome, but I don't think SMU is a slouch...

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2006, 09:30 AM

And best record in the conference doesn't mean much right now, considering the amount of I-A games that have been played by Nicholls, SELA, etc. We'll see what happens as the season goes along.

SMU was picked to contend for the C-USA title this year. They got off to a slow start and we were the sling shot to get them going.

kats89
September 30th, 2006, 09:55 AM
TT & BFP,

Dont listen to the media. SHSU doesnt get ANY respect from any of them until we go 11-3 again and they JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON. This team is just a QB away from getting things rolling again. Hicks could be the answer, but we have a phenomenal one sitting in the wings.

If we can get a win at NW St, then things get very interesting cause we have 4 of our last 5 games at home.