PDA

View Full Version : ECB/WCB/Southern Speed taken to a whole new level

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM
With all of the talk about East vs West, balance of power, southern speed, blah blah blah I decided to have some fun with geographic mid pointing.

I took every school playing FCS ball this year (NOT THE TRANSITIONALS...LET THE OUTRAGE BEGIN...as well as leaving UNCC off as they are gone after this year)

Most have always used the Mississippi River as the split...not so fast my online friends.

This first image shows all the schools...at least I think I got them all and if I missed 2 or 3 the mid point isn't going to be shifted enough to matter as I doubt I missed one of the corners of America. The green dot that is kind of hidden is the geo-mid point of them all. It is just SE of Louisville, KY in Taylorsville Lake State Park....oddly enough I know that area well with family in that area.

The second map is just a closer view of it so you can see where it is I'm talking about

This is a map showing what should actually count as EBC/WCB/Southern Speed/etc... I realize I didn't follow the lines of lat/lon, but I couldn't find an app that would put them on the map for me easily.

Just something interesting I thought I'd give a shot

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 02:28 PM
In case you want the exact mid point

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 02:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Usa_edcp_location_map.svg

Geographic center of the contiguous United States is near Lebanon Kansas.

Your map actually probably corresponds better with the ECB/Southern speed than the actual center point.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm not talking of the US...if you include AK and HI it's up near the SD/MN boarder in NW SD.

I'm talking of the FCS world.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2013, 02:54 PM
So, we are part of the US now? :D

LeadBolt
October 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Thanks! This really shows how out of the way moving the championship game from Chattanooga to Frisco really is for most FCS teams and fans. Louisville to Chattanooga is approx. 300 miles vs Louisville to Frisco is approx. 830 miles.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks! This really shows how out of the way moving the championship game from Chattanooga to Frisco really is for most FCS teams and fans. Louisville to Chattanooga is approx. 300 miles vs Louisville to Frisco is approx. 830 miles.

...but Frisco is awesome. Where the game would be even better would be Vegas! :)

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM

Then have it in Louisville. Frisco has a lot more going for it over Chatty besides location.

LeadBolt
October 4th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Then have it in Louisville. Frisco has a lot more going for it over Chatty besides location.

I would rather see it in New Orleans. More going for the game there than either Frisco or Chatty. Las Vegas would be awesome, except for the distance.

Grizalltheway
October 4th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Really? Every Griz fan I know who's gone down there for chippers say they've had a blast.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 05:35 PM

Have you ever been to Chattanooga?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Have you ever been to Chattanooga?

No. Have you ever been to Frisco?

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 09:20 PM
No. Have you ever been to Frisco?

I have been. What's so special?

They are doing a great job hosting, but I'm guessing you can't compare the cities or how well they host.

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I think St Louis would be a good compromise. Centrally located. Good sports town. Good airport and road connections.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 09:32 PM
I think St Louis would be a good compromise. Centrally located. Good sports town. Good airport and road connections.
Play the game where?

70K dump of a dome Edward Jones Dome?

Busch Stadium? Not happening.

Louisville would be nice - I love the city. Just no good stadium to pick from. Papa John Cardinal Stadium is 55K...and let's be real...the FCS title game isn't going to be playin the UofL's stadium

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Play the game where?

70K dump of a dome Edward Jones Dome?

Busch Stadium? Not happening.

Louisville would be nice - I love the city. Just no good stadium to pick from. Papa John Cardinal Stadium is 55K...and let's be real...the FCS title game isn't going to be playin the UofL's stadium

I guess I figured Busch. I thought they just played a game there a couple weeks ago. I have never been to the new one. Only the old one. Last time I was in the dome was 15 years. Tad bit big.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I guess I figured Busch. I thought they just played a game there a couple weeks ago. I have never been to the new one. Only the old one. Last time I was in the dome was 15 years. Tad bit big.

National championship game in a baseball stadium??? What the **** are you on?

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 10:09 PM
National championship game in a baseball stadium??? What the **** are you on?
Mostly this...but I can only assume 99 percent of the sightlines were complete **** as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I have been. What's so special?

They are doing a great job hosting, but I'm guessing you can't compare the cities or how well they host.

I flew direct in and out. That's #1

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Mostly this...but I can only assume 99 percent of the sightlines were complete **** as well.

Yeah, you're right. Bad idea. I wonder if any of the S Ill/SEMO posters went to that game and could shed some light, just out of curiosity.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Yeah, you're right. Bad idea. I wonder if any of the S Ill/SEMO posters went to that game and could shed some light, just out of curiosity.

It's kinda neat like a hockey game at a football field, but its a horrid idea for a natty.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I flew direct in and out. That's #1

To Frisco or DFW?

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:29 PM
To Frisco or DFW?

They are the same place.

To fly to Chattanooga you need connecting flights.

You don't have to fly to Salt lake, to Chicago, to Dallas, to Memphis to Cincinnati, back to Des Moines then to Chattanooga.

You can just get on a plane and be in Dallas, from pretty much anywhere, including Fargo.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:30 PM
To Frisco or DFW?

Actually Love field, I fly Southwest as much as I can.

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 10:34 PM
They are the same place.

You don't have to fly to Salt lake, to Chicago, to Dallas, to Memphis to Cincinnati, back to Des Moines then to Chattanooga.

You can just get on a plane and be in Dallas, from pretty much anywhere, including Fargo.

Or a long drive from Hotlanta.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 10:39 PM
They are the same place.

So fly to Atlanta, difference is an hour and 20 mins each way. Not that big of a deal.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:41 PM
So fly to Atlanta, difference is an hour and 20 mins each way. Not that big of a deal.

Does the Davenport IA airport really have a direct flight to Atlanta?

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Does the Davenport IA airport really have a direct flight to Atlanta?

MLI flies direct to ATL, DFW, MSP, ORD, Las Vegas, a couple places in Florida, and some others I don't even realize.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM
MLI flies direct to ATL, DFW, MSP, ORD, Las Vegas, a couple places in Florida, and some others I don't even realize.

Nice, Fargo doesn't fly to ATL.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Nice, Fargo doesn't fly to ATL.

That surprises me. I can see why that would change some opinions. I've stopped in Chatty a few times since our game in 2005. Nice little town.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:50 PM
If I booked today.

KC to Chattanooga 1 stop 367 dollars
KC to Dallas nonstop 218 dollars

we have a winner.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:54 PM
If I booked today.

KC to Chattanooga 1 stop 367 dollars
KC to Dallas nonstop 218 dollars

we have a winner.

We flew from Bismarck for $260 or something each to Dallas. Pretty reasonable. We did use priceline though, so your flight info is way high. You could probably priceline KC to Dallas for under 100.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Upon looking at the Hector website, apparently FAR to ATL non-stop is a newly added delta flight.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM
DFW may be a cheaper/easier flight than most locations. Outside of that, I don't know what makes Frisco above and beyond what Chattanooga did. They are a great host so far though.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 11:00 PM
If we go this year I'll probably drive. Better to have my own car than a rental and that is a car town to be sure.

TheRevSFA
October 4th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Frisco itself, meh... But DFW trumps Chatty

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM
They rented out their baseball stadium for us to have a pep rally in.

and c'mon...3rd Base? FTW!

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Frisco does really roll out the red carpet, and I am partial to a lot of establishments in Dallas.

Southern Bison
October 4th, 2013, 11:43 PM
Upon looking at the Hector website, apparently FAR to ATL non-stop is a newly added delta flight.

It looks like the FAR-ATL flight is only seasonal.

Nickels
October 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Bison fans are closet Texans now. xnodx

IMO move it to Vegas or keep it in Frisco.

I believe the Frisco contract runs through the 2017 game, which is fine by me. 3.5 hour drive to the Natty works for Nickels. Now if we could only win the damn game...

Texas
October 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Same here, not minding that drive at all. I-45 does get kinda boring, but beats driving across rest of the ****ty states in the south.