PDA

View Full Version : Does Youngstown State belongin the CAA?

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
This has been debated over and over on the YSU board. YSU is the Eastern most team in the MVFC. The closest away game is ISU-Blue and to drive it is like 6.5 hours. I wanted to get the thoughts of others on here.

dgreco
October 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
NEC needs to go full scholarship and YSU could be a nice addition to the two Western PA teams. A step down in conference is one of many reasons why it would never happen.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 09:50 AM
yes

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM
NEC needs to go full scholarship and YSU could be a nice addition to the two Western PA teams. A step down in conference is one of many reasons why it would never happen.

Never thought of that. Does NEC have future plans?

superman7515
October 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
No.

danefan
October 4th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Yes.

SUPER CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

State Line Liquors
October 4th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Youngstown is like 6 hours from what would be their closest opponents in the CAA as well, so I'm not really sure it would be a help.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Probably, I'd be for getting rid of YSU and adding UN-O, UND, UM-D or EIU. :D Or getting rid of YSU and adding no one.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I'm sure the Gateway was in love with the national championships and wanted to creep east because that's where the movement was. Now it's going west and YSU is an outlier.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I mostly want to add UN-O because it gives me a bi-yearly excuse for Krispy Kremes.

I LOVE KRISPY KREME DONUTS, DEAL WITH IT.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
I mostly want to add UN-O because it gives me a bi-yearly excuse for Krispy Kremes.

Sadly, UNO is probably not going back to football anytime soon. Pity because it's only a couple hours from here.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
The tricky thing is that the closest FCS programs in that area, Duquesne, SFPA, RMU and Youngstown, couldn't be more different, and don't seem like the foundation for a new conference.

Are the good PSAC schools out in that area? That's something I sometimes think about: some or all of the PSAC jumping to Division I and competing in FCS football. That's probably not realistic, though, but if it did happen it would be interesting to think of, say them + RMU + Youngstown. Not sure about SFPA and Duquesne.

superman7515
October 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Are the good PSAC schools out in that area? That's something I sometimes think about: some or all of the PSAC jumping to Division I and competing in FCS football.

Now you know the state of Pennsylvania would never allow that.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Now you know the state of Pennsylvania would never allow that.

Agreed.

Would there ever be a chance of, say, six schools (or more) breaking off from the PSAC to go Division I? I have no idea, but I figured I'd ask.

Tribal
October 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
YSU's closest opponents would be JMU and Towson, both roughly 5 hours drive. You'd have some major flight costs to UNC-W, Elon, W&M, UR, UNH, Maine, Albany and others. Just wouldn't work.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM
So what I'm getting from this is... YSU should probably just be an independent.. The only conference they seem to make sense in is the MAC.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Probably, I'd be for getting rid of YSU and adding UN-O, UND, UM-D or EIU. :D Or getting rid of YSU and adding no one.

We could go back to a balanced schedule in this scenario.xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
So what I'm getting from this is... YSU should probably just be an independent.. The only conference they seem to make sense in is the MAC.

Yep, there was crazy opposition from Akron and Kent to keep them out of the MAC several years ago. That sentiment may have softened, especially with the Vest now at Akron in an administrative capacity.

melloware13
Youngstown to:
Towson, MD: 313 mi, 4:51
Harrisonburg, VA: 318 mi, 5:03
Newark, DE: 341 mi, 5:45
Villanova, PA: 353 mi, 5:23
Richmond, VA: 406 mi, 6:16
Terre Haute, IN: 425 mi, 6:26
Williamsburg, VA: 450 mi, 6:56
Albany, NY: 470 mi, 6:59
Stony Brook, NY: 453 mi, 7:07
Charleston, IL: 477 mi, 7:19
Elon, NC: 506 mi, 7:49
Kingston, RI: 550 mi, 8:35
Carbondale, IL: 610 mi, 9:07
Macomb, IL: 619 mi, 9:11
Durham, NH: 657 mi, 10:02
Cedar Falls, IA: 694 mi, 10:14
Springfield, MO: 806 mi, 12:04
Orono, ME: 833 mi, 12:34
Vermillion, SD: 953 mi, 13:54
Brookings, SD: 1023 mi, 15:01
Fargo, ND: 1043 mi, 15:27

CAA Average: 470.83 mi, 7:16.67
MVFC Average: 738.89 mi, 10:58.11

Advantage: CAA

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Closer to Maine than to North Dakota State? That's an eye-opener!

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Youngstown to:
Towson, MD: 313 mi, 4:51
Harrisonburg, VA: 318 mi, 5:03
Newark, DE: 341 mi, 5:45
Villanova, PA: 353 mi, 5:23
Richmond, VA: 406 mi, 6:16
Terre Haute, IN: 425 mi, 6:26
Williamsburg, VA: 450 mi, 6:56
Albany, NY: 470 mi, 6:59
Stony Brook, NY: 453 mi, 7:07
Charleston, IL: 477 mi, 7:19
Elon, NC: 506 mi, 7:49
Kingston, RI: 550 mi, 8:35
Carbondale, IL: 610 mi, 9:07
Macomb, IL: 619 mi, 9:11
Durham, NH: 657 mi, 10:02
Cedar Falls, IA: 694 mi, 10:14
Springfield, MO: 806 mi, 12:04
Orono, ME: 833 mi, 12:34
Vermillion, SD: 953 mi, 13:54
Brookings, SD: 1023 mi, 15:01
Fargo, ND: 1043 mi, 15:27

CAA Average: 470.83 mi, 7:16.67
MVFC Average: 738.89 mi, 10:58.11

Advantage: CAA

Nice analysis

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM
YSU never belonged in the MVFC. There was a time when the Gateway needed teams and YSU was actually relevant...neither of those statements are nearly as true as they were at the time.

Almost no one likes the fact there isn't a true round robin in conference play....having a team go elsewhere would help that (as would have not adding USD but at this point that's not changing).

YSU needs to find a new home, I don't really care where.

Sandlapper Spike
October 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM
It would be as a football-only member, right? That would eliminate UNCW and CofC as travel issues.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 12:02 PM
YSU never belonged in the MVFC. There was a time when the Gateway needed teams and YSU was actually relevant...neither of those statements are nearly as true as they were at the time.

Almost no one likes the fact there isn't a true round robin in conference play....having a team go elsewhere would help that (as would have not adding USD but at this point that's not changing).

You left out the fact that you despise YSU

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM
You take me calling YSU like I see them (and being right almost every single time) as hate.

Take the blinders off.

BisonFan02
October 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Fire YSU, Save balanced conf. schedule.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't care either way, but why not get back to a true round robin?

ysubigred
October 4th, 2013, 12:14 PM
It would be as a football-only member, right? That would eliminate UNCW and CofC as travel issues.

Sadly... YSU needs a conference where all sports are excepted.. I believe this is a big part of why YSU don't have any true rivals, I'd like to see every team in our conference for every sport.. The MAC is the only place based off mileage. Being in the MVC for all sports would be a nightmare for miles. The CAA the same to a lesser extent. One thing I do agree with.. YSU needs to disassociate it's self from a ONE AND DONE PLAYOFF TEAN LIKE UNI xlolx It is what it is xsmiley_wix

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Check the geo mid point of the MVFC without YSU...Tell me how YSU actually fits in the MVFC. (here's a hint...it's between Cedar Rapids, IA and Des Moines, IA on about Interstate 80.

You don't share a conference with any of the schools other than football, meaning you don't have a rivalry/connection to any school other than your programs distain for all things UNI (and the fact you focus you entire season on that game)

There is nothing binding YSU to any part of the MVFC. They really don't belong at this point

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Sadly... YSU needs a conference where all sports are excepted.. I believe this is a big part of why YSU don't have any true rivals, I'd like to see every team in our conference for every sport.. The MAC is the only place based off mileage. Being in the MVC for all sports would be a nightmare for miles. The CAA the same to a lesser extent. One thing I do agree with.. YSU needs to disassociate it's self from a ONE AND DONE PLAYOFF TEAN LIKE UNI xlolx It is what it is xsmiley_wix

Oh, if only Mickey Monus lived in Waterloo and not Youngstown.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 12:26 PM
You take me calling YSU like I see them (and being right almost every single time) as hate.

Take the blinders off.

I wouldn't say the YSU is irrelevant as you suggest. I am not wearing blinders, if you haven't read between the lines I do not think YSU is in the top echelon of the conference this year, but they are certainly not irrelevant. They have also been shafted by the playoff selection committee in 2005, 2007 and possibly last year when they went 7-4 and did not get in considering the MVFC strength. BTW, the data tells me the only way YSU gets into the playoffs is when they win the MVFC outright (2006).

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Oh poor YSU not getting in without the autobid....

Out of all of the times UNI has gotten into the playoffs only twice (maybe three times) has UNI not had the autobid.

Cry a river about that one.

blukeys
October 4th, 2013, 12:33 PM
UD first met YSU in a 1974 D-2 playoff game. UD and YSU also met twice in 1979. They began a somewhat regular home and home series after that.

We always invited YSU fans to our tailgate. They were easy to spot as they were the only ones wearing red.

The YSU fans were friendly and down to earth. Some were surprised when our Philly Eagle contingent knew where Ron Jaworski played his college ball.

The YSU fans were complimentary to UD and it was a great I-AA rivalry until dirt bag Tressel pulled the plug at the end of the 90's.

UD and YSU had a 4 game contract at the end of the 90's and into the 2000's. Tressel pulled the plug after UD beat YSU in the first 2 games.

Georgia Southern picked up the lost contract games which were played in 2001 at Paulsen and 2002 at the Tub.

I think YSU in the CAA would be a good fit. There are travel issues but they aren't insurmountable. CAA teams would love to get exposure in Western PA and Eastern Ohio.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
2 conference titles since 1997...

Western Illinois has twice that many in the same time frame and they have been a bottom 2/3 team much of the last decade or so.

Average finish in the MVFC since you joined...?

First 7 years in the league (under sweater vest...also *) - 3rd
Since - 5th (bottom half average) and that is greatly skewed by 2006. Take that season out and you fall to 6 which puts you bottom 3rd for the majority of that time frame.

YSU lives off of their name under sweater vest...not what they've done since then.

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM
UD first met YSU in a 1974 D-2 playoff game. UD and YSU also met twice in 1979. They began a somewhat regular home and home series after that.

We always invited YSU fans to our tailgate. They were easy to spot as they were the only ones wearing red.

The YSU fans were friendly and down to earth. Some were surprised when our Philly Eagle contingent knew where Ron Jaworski played his college ball.

The YSU fans were complimentary to UD and it was a great I-AA rivalry until dirt bag Tressel pulled the plug at the end of the 90's.

UD and YSU had a 4 game contract at the end of the 90's and into the 2000's. Tressel pulled the plug after UD beat YSU in the first 2 games.

Georgia Southern picked up the lost contract games which were played in 2001 at Paulsen and 2002 at the Tub.

I think YSU in the CAA would be a good fit. There are travel issues but they aren't insurmountable. CAA teams would love to get exposure in Western PA and Eastern Ohio.

I also enjoyed the games with UD. We had somewhat of a rivalry developing and the YSU fans have always had respect for UD. Ask the oldtimers and they will delaware always gave us fits.

HailSzczur
October 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM

My only memory/run in/experience with YSU fans was the '97 playoffs. I was 5 years old and all I remember was their fans had these f'ing cow bells they hit all game.

But I would love to see them in the CAA. Nova has gotten some great players out of the Western PA/OH region lately and I'd love to see us tap into it more. Adding a quality school with a fan base, tradition, and alittle bit of notoriety is good too. No worse of a trip for me from Nova than to Williamsburg or Durham so that wouldn't be an issue with me.

ysubigred
October 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Oh, if only Mickey Monus lived in Waterloo and not Youngstown.

Actually a really nice guy.. Drank a few with him and the "family" a few times at MVR.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I would love to see YSU leave the MVFC.

Opens the door for EIU in the MVFC and the Summit for non-football.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Actually a really nice guy.. Drank a few with him and the "family" a few times at MVR.

Oh, I don't doubt it. From what I hear, he's a very generous guy.

blukeys
October 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM
My only memory/run in/experience with YSU fans was the '97 playoffs. I was 5 years old and all I remember was their fans had these f'ing cow bells they hit all game.

But I would love to see them in the CAA. Nova has gotten some great players out of the Western PA/OH region lately and I'd love to see us tap into it more. Adding a quality school with a fan base, tradition, and alittle bit of notoriety is good too. No worse of a trip for me from Nova than to Williamsburg or Durham so that wouldn't be an issue with me.

Gosh HailSzczur and I agree. This should be the end of any debate.

After this I am sure we will be recruited to straighten the mess out in DC.

ysubigred
October 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
2 conference titles since 1997...

Western Illinois has twice that many in the same time frame and they have been a bottom 2/3 team much of the last decade or so.

Average finish in the MVFC since you joined...?

First 7 years in the league (under sweater vest...also *) - 3rd
Since - 5th (bottom half average) and that is greatly skewed by 2006. Take that season out and you fall to 6 which puts you bottom 3rd for the majority of that time frame.

YSU lives off of their name under sweater vest...not what they've done since then.

Since the new AD took over and the two head Coaches after JT YSU football has suffered. Joining the Gateway/MVFC at the time was about the only option in 97. Being an indy was starting to take a toll on scheduling. I don't like being in the MVFC as much as most poster on here want YSU gone. Sadly.. you all can keep beating this dead horse..xdeadhorsex YSU is here to stay for the foreseeable future due to $$$$$$$$. I'd like to see YSU head back to the OVC for all sports where they started out the D1 experience.

ysubigred
October 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Oh, I don't doubt it. From what I hear, he's a very generous guy.

I've always wondered who's funding all the D1 talent coming to sunny Fargo xsmiley_wix

NDSU has a lot to offer a student athlete you know xeyebrowx .. xlolx

dgreco
October 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Never thought of that. Does NEC have future plans?

I know the NEC has talked about going over 40 scholarships, but I am not sure what the time table is. Although, some schools have found a way (others know better than I do) to qualify as counter for FBS games. So in that regard, I am not sure how hard the 40 scholarship cap really is.

dgreco
October 4th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Also, like the CAA vs. MVFC distance "analysis," the NEC is even lower.

Bryant - 574 miles, 8 hours 53 minutes
Central Connecticut - 486 miles, 7 hours 25 minutes
Duquesne - 68 miles, 1 hour 7 minutes
Sacred Heart - 446 miles, 6 hours 53 minutes
St. Francis - 127 miles, 2 hours 28 minutes
Robert Morris - 59 miles, 1 hour 1 minute
Wagner -402 miles, 6 hours 11 minutes

308 miles avg, 4:08 hr avg

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Oddly enough....the geographic mid point of the CAA...

The center of the Rutgers campus...xlolx

WestCoastAggie
October 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Could YSU return to the OVC along with Evansville?

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I would love to see YSU leave the MVFC.

Opens the door for EIU in the MVFC and the Summit for non-football.

Id love to see EIU back in the MVFC but I cant see them wanting that. They would go from hoping for a championship to hoping for a few wins.

DoubleH
October 4th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Youngstown is like 6 hours from what would be their closest opponents in the CAA as well, so I'm not really sure it would be a help.

This.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Id love to see EIU back in the MVFC but I cant see them wanting that. They would go from hoping for a championship to hoping for a few wins.

You beat Illinois St and SIU, crushed San Diego St and should've beaten MAC Northern Illinois.

You'd finish third behind NDSU and UNI this year in the MVFC with an at-large spot in the playoffs.

Then you'd have football rivalries with ISU, SIU and WIU and then an all-sports rivalry with WIU in the Summit League.

All of that vs......a bunch of Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama schools that are third tier in their state??? Come on...

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Here is the mentality I don't get.

Why would you want to leave the best conference in the country to go to a different level of play. If you want to be the best, you have to play and BEAT the best. Toughest conference sits in the middle of the country this year, and it's not because NDSU is in the conference, it's the teams around us that make it tough.

PantherRob82
October 4th, 2013, 05:34 PM
You beat Illinois St and SIU, crushed San Diego St and should've beaten MAC Northern Illinois.

You'd finish third behind NDSU and UNI this year in the MVFC with an at-large spot in the playoffs.

Then you'd have football rivalries with ISU, SIU and WIU and then an all-sports rivalry with WIU in the Summit League.

All of that vs......a bunch of Kentucky, Tennessee and Alabama schools that are third tier in their state??? Come on...

You do realize Indiana State is the Sycamores....right?

penguinpower
October 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Here is the mentality I don't get.

Why would you want to leave the best conference in the country to go to a different level of play. If you want to be the best, you have to play and BEAT the best. Toughest conference sits in the middle of the country this year, and it's not because NDSU is in the conference, it's the teams around us that make it tough.

For me it is about being able to travel to games and not the competition.

MplsBison
October 4th, 2013, 06:55 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

ValleyTalk
October 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM

Despite your dominance of us, you still play in a dump dome and have 0 titles. Whether in the MVFC or not, we still one up you where it matters the most.

For me it is about being able to travel to games and not the competition.
I disagree there. If we are going to remain in FCS football, I want to stay in the best conference. Back to back years now our local TV stations have picked up every single away game on our schedule and that is the plan for the future as well. Even if not there in person, watching the games on TV is enjoyable. I get my annual road game in vs. the BCS schools each year.

Go YSU!

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Sorry guys, I haven't had time to make an avatar or anything and as a sycamore alum, I don't get too carried away posting here. I just live in Charleston.

I have never heard even a slight interest in going back to the MVFC around here. I wish they would so I could get another close Sycamore game and I could stop having to explain how different the conferences are. (SDSU did it for me last season). They will have to win 2 playoff games IMO for all the local hype to be justified. They went to OT with SIU and I'm not sure I believe in IL St

as far as Ysu and scheduling, I remember the bus ride to Youngstown being more like 7-8 hours. Maybe I'm just getting old. I figure the schedule will fix itself when someone jumps to FBS

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Despite your dominance of us, you still play in a dump dome and have 0 titles. Whether in the MVFC or not, we still one up you where it matters the most.
None of it since you joined the MVFC, and *sweater vest left town

What does it say about your mighty program that since you joined a conference and can't schedule the patsy ass teams you did prior to that that you can't win anymore?

What does it really say about your mighty program if you can't beat a lowly, non-title winning team, more than once a decade?

It's not like UNI had a lucky run either...UNI owns the series 20-7

L

09-09-1978

Cedar Falls, IA

L

09-29-1979

Youngstown, OH

W

11-01-1980

Youngstown, OH

W

11-21-1981

Cedar Falls, IA

L

11-20-1982

Youngstown, OH

W

10-22-1983

Cedar Falls, IA

W

10-20-1984

Youngstown, OH

W

10-26-1985

Cedar Falls, IA

W

11-28-1987

Cedar Falls, IA

Division I-AA 1st Round Playoff Game

L

12-12-1992

Cedar Falls, IA

Division I-AA Semifinal Playoff Game

W

11-02-1996

Youngstown, OH

W

10-18-1997

Cedar Falls, IA

W

11-07-1998

Youngstown, OH

L

10-23-1999

Cedar Falls, IA

L

10-14-2000

Youngstown, OH

W

09-29-2001

Cedar Falls, IA

W

10-19-2002

Youngstown, OH

W

11-01-2003

Cedar Falls, IA

W

10-16-2004

Youngstown, OH

W

10-29-2005

Cedar Falls, IA

W

10-21-2006

Youngstown, OH

W

10-27-2007

Cedar Falls, IA

W

10-25-2008

Youngstown, OH

W

11-07-2009

Cedar Falls, IA

W

10-30-2010

Youngstown, OH

W

11-05-2011

Cedar Falls, IA

L

09-22-2012

Youngstown, OH

Totals

4 wins since UNI moved D1...and none by more than 12....and one against a team that finished under .500.

I get it though. I'd want out of a conference that we have only a 54% win % against...

If you take out Missouri State, WIU and Indiana State who have been complete **** the entire time you've been in the conference your record against the conference drops from 87-73-1 to 40-52-1

I'd want back to the OVC/CAA at that point too.

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Wouldn't everyone's record go down if you took those 3 out?

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 09:38 PM
I know UNI would still be well above .500

I'd bet the same with SIU and probably ISUr as well.

Let me do some checking

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2013, 09:43 PM
I know UNI would still be well above .500

I'd bet the same with SIU and probably ISUr as well.

Let me do some checking

I didn't make the .500 connection.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I was slightly wrong on SIU and ISUr...both are actually worse than I thought they were historically against conference foes.

SIU is 134-143-8 (48.4) against the MVFC teams in their history. Taking those three out they are 70-65-4 (50.1). SIU is +1.3 without them

ISUr is 151-169-9 (47.2) but without those three they are 60-75-3 (44.5). ISUr is -2.7 without them

ISUb is 90-146-2 (38.2) against MVFC foes...without the other two they are 64-109-2 (37.1). ISUb is -1.1 without them.

WIU is 151-148-8 (50.4) against all MVFC teams. Without the other two they are 115-117-7 (49.8). WIU is -.6 without them.

UNI is 213-108-3 (66.2) and without the other three they are 133-86-3 (62). UNI is also the only team in the conference with a winning record against every other school in the conference.

I didn't do the math for the Dakota's as they haven't been around long enough recently to get solid numbers...though I could if you really wanted.

YSU has, by far, the biggest drop

Sycamore62
October 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I've always felt ISUr and SIU have been way up way down teams.