PDA

View Full Version : Georgia St returns 2014 of 3k alloted tix for 'Bama game...

blueballs
October 4th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Per Phil Steele and Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Urinal and Constipation.

This is beyond pathetic...

State Line Liquors
October 4th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Quite honestly, they never should have even started their program. The whole thing has been an abortion from the outset. Poorly prepared each week, positioned to fail, and now they need to begin again to create fan interest. What a mistake.

WM2001
October 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Major SEC opponent, televised game, and an opportunity to show some interest and fewer than 1,000 people care enough to drive 3 hours? 33,000 students and millions of alums in Georgia and Alabama.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 08:33 AM
This can't be good.

Smitty
October 4th, 2013, 08:35 AM
So how much were the tickets?

WM2001
October 4th, 2013, 08:37 AM
So how much were the tickets?

$55, like most BCS games.

WH49er
October 4th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Not surprising, I doubt you will find many fans of any team willing to shell out $55 for a guaranteed 50+ beating. On top of that would be the constant heckling from a fanbase that has a collective amount of 3 teeth.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Major SEC opponent, televised game, and an opportunity to show some interest and fewer than 1,000 people care enough to drive 3 hours? 33,000 students and millions of alums in Georgia and Alabama.

This punches a huge hole in the bull**** line that population=fan base. The Sun Belt has to feel a little bit of buyers remorse.

DrStrangelove
October 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
When I followed Jacksonville State over to the Georgia Dome on September 21, there were maybe 500 Georgia State fans in attendance. The Gamecock faithful outnumbered GSU nearly three-to-one.

Gringer1
October 4th, 2013, 09:29 AM
If the Sun Belt let Idaho join, I see no reason NDSU shouldn't be allowed in. I would much rather have the green buffaloes than the worthless team from Atlanta in the conference. Gast is like concrete shoes on a swimmer's feet.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 09:31 AM
If the Sun Belt let Idaho join, I see no reason NDSU shouldn't be allowed in. I would much rather have the green buffaloes than the worthless team from Atlanta in the conference. Gast is like concrete shoes on a swimmer's feet.

I think Ga State et. al. are perfect reasons NOT to go FBS or the Sun Belt.

Gringer1
October 4th, 2013, 09:45 AM
If the Sun Belt would trade out one of the dumpster fire programs like NMSU or Gast for NDSU, I would feel much better about it. I watched about 10 minutes of that BORING ULM/WKU game last night and one side of the stadium had maybe 500 people in it. The Belt produces a few decent teams every year, but they can't ever seem to turn the corner on building a lasting program. The wins stop coming and/or the fans flake out, leaving the program back where it was 5 years ago. I think App and Georgia Southern could sustain a certain level of success and maybe build something over time, but only if programs like Gast get the hell out of the way. Replacing the Georgia Taint Punters with a proven program like NDSU would do a lot for the Sun Belt and, in turn, the conference members.

Tribal
October 4th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Not surprising, I doubt you will find many fans of any team willing to shell out $55 for a guaranteed 50+ beating. On top of that would be the constant heckling from a fanbase that has a collective amount of 3 teeth.

I can name 50 FCS programs that would send more than a thousand fans to a BCS stadium (within 3 hours drive) even if it meant watching their team get pounded into submission. GA State is a FBS program located in the largest city in the south that claims they aspire for "bigger things." Their apathy and total lack of support is a total embarrassment to college football. State fans have offered us the following excuses for why no on cares - you'll notice they amend their excuses for convenience:

1) We're a new program. Give us time to build a fanbase...after all, we're in Georgia and college football is religion here.
2) No one cares about pee-wee FCS football. 99.9% of the people down here think we play D2 ball.
3) People don't recognize our opponents so they don't come to our games. No one knows anything about JMU, Richmond, Delaware et al.
4) We have to compete for exposure with the likes of UGA and GT.
5) People don't come to our games because there's so much to do in Atlanta.
6) We're not winning because we're still playing with FCS-caliber players.
7) New HC, new system...give it time.
8) Our AD and marketing dept don't do enough to grow the brand.

Blah, blah, blah. Look, being in that huge media market is EITHER an asset or a liability...make up your mind. Don't brag about playing in a NFL stadium then bitch that the stadium looks empty because you only managed 5,000 people in the lower bowl. Don't complain about FCS-caliber players when FCS teams set a record in victories over FBS programs this year.

That team isn't even a top 90% FCS program and may very well be the worst FBS team of all time. They have a storied history of losing to D2 and NAIA programs and humiliated by bottom-feeder FCS programs. They fabricated their attendance and somehow convinced the SBC that they would be good for that conference. Everyone associated with that program should be charged with fraud and banned from college football. Thank you for your time.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM
If the Sun Belt would trade out one of the dumpster fire programs like NMSU or Gast for NDSU, I would feel much better about it. I watched about 10 minutes of that BORING ULM/WKU game last night and one side of the stadium had maybe 500 people in it. The Belt produces a few decent teams every year, but they can't ever seem to turn the corner on building a lasting program. The wins stop coming and/or the fans flake out, leaving the program back where it was 5 years ago. I think App and Georgia Southern could sustain a certain level of success and maybe build something over time, but only if programs like Gast get the hell out of the way. Replacing the Georgia Taint Punters with a proven program like NDSU would do a lot for the Sun Belt and, in turn, the conference members.

The Sun Belt is a dumpster fire of a conference. Nobody who is worth a damn stays there. Even you guys are only there to get into FBS then will bolt for CUSA when you get a chance.

Gringer1
October 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Not so fast, my friend. The Sun Belt has a winning record over CUSA and higher average attendance. CUSA has gone with a media market membership strategy that is failing. Their members are from larger cities, but put crap on the field. The public perception is still slightly higher for CUSA due to their increased media presence, but the teams are not as good as the Sun Belt's. That being said, we're talking about a tallest midget contest between the two conferences.

Smitty
October 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Yeah I wouldn't drive 3 hours + $110 tickets + overpriced concession food + losing by +50 + another 3 hours back. I would rather spend that money and time watching decent football.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
If Lehigh were playing Alabama, I'd expect to lose very, very, very badly. But I'd go.

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2013, 10:29 AM
If Lehigh were playing Alabama, I'd expect to lose very, very, very badly. But I'd go.

More relevant comparison - if Lehigh was five times its present size and playing at Penn State, would more than a thousand fans show up?

WH49er
October 4th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I can name 50 FCS programs that would send more than a thousand fans to a BCS stadium (within 3 hours drive) even if it meant watching their team get pounded into submission. GA State is a FBS program located in the largest city in the south that claims they aspire for "bigger things." Their apathy and total lack of support is a total embarrassment to college football. State fans have offered us the following excuses for why no on cares - you'll notice they amend their excuses for convenience:

1) We're a new program. Give us time to build a fanbase...after all, we're in Georgia and college football is religion here.
2) No one cares about pee-wee FCS football. 99.9% of the people down here think we play D2 ball.
3) People don't recognize our opponents so they don't come to our games. No one knows anything about JMU, Richmond, Delaware et al.
4) We have to compete for exposure with the likes of UGA and GT.
5) People don't come to our games because there's so much to do in Atlanta.
6) We're not winning because we're still playing with FCS-caliber players.
7) New HC, new system...give it time.
8) Our AD and marketing dept don't do enough to grow the brand.

Blah, blah, blah. Look, being in that huge media market is EITHER an asset or a liability...make up your mind. Don't brag about playing in a NFL stadium then bitch that the stadium looks empty because you only managed 5,000 people in the lower bowl. Don't complain about FCS-caliber players when FCS teams set a record in victories over FBS programs this year.

That team isn't even a top 90% FCS program and may very well be the worst FBS team of all time. They have a storied history of losing to D2 and NAIA programs and humiliated by bottom-feeder FCS programs. They fabricated their attendance and somehow convinced the SBC that they would be good for that conference. Everyone associated with that program should be charged with fraud and banned from college football. Thank you for your time.

You feel better?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
You feel better?

He should because he's right.

You FBSINO teams show exactly how easy it is to go FBS and also how meh it is.

UNIFanSince1983
October 4th, 2013, 10:42 AM
So the line I saw is 54 points. I am really really thinking about taking Alabama and the points.

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM
You feel better?

Not sure what you mean, though I feel better seeing that Tribal nailed it.

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 10:46 AM
So the line I saw is 54 points. I am really really thinking about taking Alabama and the points.

Seriously, how fair is it that Alabama gets this counted as a FBS win? Seriously. They will get a better game from Chatty.

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Seriously, how fair is it that Alabama gets this counted as a FBS win? Seriously. They will get a better game from Chatty.

They would get a better game from Ferris, or at least the same game.

Ferris has scored 149 points in the last 3 games (3-1). Just sayin' ;).

Tribal
October 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
You feel better?

I feel fine, but thanks for your concern nonetheless. What makes me feel particularly satisfied is knowing that I've only missed a handful of Tribe games in the past five years and I blame that on my son's youth soccer games. I anxiously awaited our WVU game this year after watching my team go 2-9 in 2012...think the likelihood of my team losing put a damper on my willingness to travel 9 hours round-trip? Think I gave the $220 ticket cost a second thought? Hell no. If you told me W&M would travel to Alabama, lose by 60, and it would set me back $600, I'd go in a second (assuming no kid's soccer) and my wife and kids would beat me to the airport. Period.

Mine is a public school of 6,200 undergrads with an alumni base that generally isn't overly-sised for athletics. I'd bet my house that we'd send 1,000+ to Alabama. What's GA State's excuse?

Twentysix
October 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
I feel fine, but thanks for your concern nonetheless. What makes me feel particularly satisfied is knowing that I've only missed a handful of Tribe games in the past five years and I blame that on my son's youth soccer games. I anxiously awaited our WVU game this year after watching my team go 2-9 in 2012...think the likelihood of my team losing put a damper on my willingness to travel 9 hours round-trip? Think I gave the $220 ticket cost a second thought? Hell no. If you told me W&M would travel to Alabama, lose by 60, and it would set me back $600, I'd go in a second (assuming no kid's soccer) and my wife and kids would beat me to the airport. Period.

Mine is a public school of 6,200 undergrads with an alumni base that generally isn't overly-sised for athletics. I'd bet my house that we'd send 1,000+ to Alabama. What's GA State's excuse?

I bet we'd send 10,000, if the tickets existed. And it's a 20 hour drive, or a spendy flight (FAR to Birmingham Fri-Sun is $1200+ RT). Public school, Enrollment of 9,000 a decade ago, enrollment of 15,000 now. Meaning we don't have a super gigantic alumni base to draw on.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Critical to this whole thing is: c'mon, it's Bama! I'm not sure I'd head to Buffalo or Akron if Lehigh played them, or maybe even Ole Miss, Iowa State, etc. But Bama is Bama! No. 1 team in the nation! One of "those places" you need to go to as a CFB fan if you're given the chance. It's like going to USC, Army, Navy, Notre Dame, Texas. It's a BFD.

I remember heading to Gampel Pavillion at UConn to watch Lehigh play UConn in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tourney: not to see Lehigh win, but to just be there and experience the place. At no time do I regret heading there and watching that game. Lehigh lost by nearly 100 points. It was a sellout crowd. I'd never seen that many people for a women's basketball game before.

All I asked was that Lehigh lead the game at one point, and they did. 5-4 after a Lehigh 3 pointer. I remember it like it was yesterday.

WH49er
October 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Not sure what you mean, though I feel better seeing that Tribal nailed it.

I just don't see the point of ranting on about something that isn't surprising.

Mattymc727
October 4th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Honestly, Georgia State wont be a football program in 5 yrs right? There is just no way they can fix this.

blueballs
October 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
'Bama has a museum of 'Bama football not far from the stadium... that alone is worth the trip.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:25 PM
UNI brought about 2,500 to PROVO, UT (1,210 miles) in 2008 for the BYU game.
UNI takes 5-7K into the stadium in Ames everytime we play Iowa State plus a couple thousand more just to tailgate and watch the game at a bar/parking lot with buddies
UNI takes 3-4K into the stadium in Iowa City every time we play Iowa (much tougher ticket than Iowa State) plus a couple thousand more just to tailgate and watch the game at a bar/parking lot with buddies
UNI took roughly 3-4K into Madison last season to play a Wisconsin team that had beaten their FCS opponents by an average of 67-6 over the last 6 years or so plus probably another thousand or two to tailgate/party
UNI is expecting to take about 2-3K to freaking HAWAII next season on top of the thousands that will be in Iowa City later that season

To tell me you can't find more than 600 fans to take to Bama is an abomination. I'd go, fully expecting to get beat by 50, to take in all that game day at Bama has to offer.

UNI would find enough of a fan base to fill that allotment, we we have a mere 12-13K students and a alumni base of about 130-150K

WH49er
October 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM
UNI brought about 2,500 to PROVO, UT (1,210 miles) in 2008 for the BYU game.
UNI takes 5-7K into the stadium in Ames everytime we play Iowa State plus a couple thousand more just to tailgate and watch the game at a bar/parking lot with buddies
UNI takes 3-4K into the stadium in Iowa City every time we play Iowa (much tougher ticket than Iowa State) plus a couple thousand more just to tailgate and watch the game at a bar/parking lot with buddies
UNI took roughly 3-4K into Madison last season to play a Wisconsin team that had beaten their FCS opponents by an average of 67-6 over the last 6 years or so plus probably another thousand or two to tailgate/party
UNI is expecting to take about 2-3K to freaking HAWAII next season on top of the thousands that will be in Iowa City later that season

To tell me you can't find more than 600 fans to take to Bama is an abomination. I'd go, fully expecting to get beat by 50, to take in all that game day at Bama has to offer.

UNI would find enough of a fan base to fill that allotment, we we have a mere 12-13K students and a alumni base of about 130-150K

It is pathetic, I'm not disagreeing with that. It just shouldn't be surprising to anyone because we are all aware of their attendance problems.

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM

As I see it, the point that Tribal is making is that Ga. State has a football team for very different reasons than W&M has a football team.

Sandlapper Spike
October 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
'Bama has a museum of 'Bama football not far from the stadium... that alone is worth the trip.

I was thinking the same thing, that at worst you would get a look at the Bryant Museum out of the trip.

To tell me you can't find more than 600 fans to take to Bama is an abomination.

Yeah, I think The Citadel had at least that many for the trip to Arizona a few years back.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM
It is pathetic, I'm not disagreeing with that. It just shouldn't be surprising to anyone because we are all aware of their attendance problems.
The questions then become

1. Why did the start football, other than for the reason of having football?
2. With the alumni base/city/everything else why the struggle. All we heard from their "fans" when the program was getting started is that they'd have no problem filling the 40K lower bowl and might need to open the upper bowl. What's the issue here?
3. Is there anyway to fix it?
4. Would a GSU only football stadium fix it?
5. How long will they continue to let the program as it sits now continue?

This just seems like an experiment to take a large alumni base that was probably extremely apathetic to the school and unite them. Well, it failed. How long before the lights are just turned the f out?

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2013, 12:43 PM

Is it really an "attendance problem" or are the university's previously-articulated goals actually being met by the numbers currently drawn, whether they like it or not? Why do people attend college football games? Is the reason people attend college football games different at Ga. State than it is at Wofford or Davidson or The Citadel?

Re-read Tribal's excellent post. There's more to it than you might think at first blush.

Ivytalk
October 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM
We're not worthy!
We're not worthy!
We suck!
We suck!xbowxxbowx

WH49er
October 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM
The questions then become

1. Why did the start football, other than for the reason of having football?
2. With the alumni base/city/everything else why the struggle. All we heard from their "fans" when the program was getting started is that they'd have no problem filling the 40K lower bowl and might need to open the upper bowl. What's the issue here?
3. Is there anyway to fix it?
4. Would a GSU only football stadium fix it?
5. How long will they continue to let the program as it sits now continue?

This just seems like an experiment to take a large alumni base that was probably extremely apathetic to the school and unite them. Well, it failed. How long before the lights are just turned the f out?

The lack of an OCS and the fact they have no big athletic accomplishments were the 2 biggest factors of their demise IMO. Really the only catalyst that can save their program at this point is winning.

Tribal
October 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM

Easy for you to say, you didn't have to put up with them while they played in your confetence and constantly pontificating about how they were too good for the rest of us.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Forgive me for stopping the pile-fest on Georgia State, something they've rightfully earned, but honestly, what's the difference between Georgia State's, UMass', FIU's, Eastern Michigan's, Western Michigan's situations? They all have cringe-worthy football programs at the moment. All of these programs would have problems travelling fans to Alabama because their programs right now are in the crapper, and they're not winning.

It does matter that Georgia State never had a period of success at the FCS level before heading to FBS, as there's no winning legacy to "look back upon", and save UMass all the programs I've mentioned (I believe) all haven't had extended periods of great teams. But UMass shows that success at the FCS level doesn't automatically translate into FBS success, either.

Tribal
October 4th, 2013, 01:08 PM
As I see it, the point that Tribal is making is that Ga. State has a football team for very different reasons than W&M has a football team.

Or any FCS team. For GA State, football is all about entitlement and it's used as a play thing. They honestly feel they're a budding GT...have threads dedicated to moving to a BCS conference. They literally feel they should have skipped steps 2-9 and gone straight to the top merely because they are in ATL and play in the Dome.

I don't care for ODU but have a ton of respect for what they've accomplished. THAT'S the model.

I've attended games at dozens of venues and learned one fact along the way...college football fans are the same everywhere. It's all about football fellowship, meeting fans from yours and other teams, the game itself, and taking in the EXPERIENCE. At the core, football fans in Fargo are no different than what you'd find in Flagstaff. GA State is an outlier in that regard.

Bogus Megapardus
October 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM
We're not worthy!
We're not worthy!
We suck!
We suck!xbowxxbowx

I've noticed that Crimson fans seem to lack a certain covetousness found elsewhere.

clenz
October 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Forgive me for stopping the pile-fest on Georgia State, something they've rightfully earned, but honestly, what's the difference between Georgia State's, UMass', FIU's, Eastern Michigan's, Western Michigan's situations? They all have cringe-worthy football programs at the moment. All of these programs would have problems travelling fans to Alabama because their programs right now are in the crapper, and they're not winning.

It does matter that Georgia State never had a period of success at the FCS level before heading to FBS, as there's no winning legacy to "look back upon", and save UMass all the programs I've mentioned (I believe) all haven't had extended periods of great teams. But UMass shows that success at the FCS level doesn't automatically translate into FBS success, either.
Don't completely disagree with this.

However, other than FIU all of those programs are old/established

UMASS starting 1879
EMU 1891
WMU 1905

Those programs will never be touched. They've all also shown they can compete...WMU better than the others as they usually get to 5-7 wins.

FIU just built a new stadium (I believe), as did FAU. FIU won the Sun Belt in 2010.

I'd bet on FIU and/or FAU long before Georgia State

CID1990
October 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Where are those ding a ling GSU posters who used to come in here and crap all over the place now?

NoDak 4 Ever
October 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Where are those ding a ling GSU posters who used to come in here and crap all over the place now?

I'm pretty sure they get it now. They prefer not to be around when the punchline is told.

Tribal
October 4th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Of course, they had PantherTalk where their mods could quickly ban any free thinker but that site went belly up. They currently use a pay site but I believe you get a few months or a year free.

Their worst (shall remain unspoken) poster moved from Atlanta and has not been heard from since. He used to entertain a few of us with his tough guy posts.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM

Panther talk and the SBC board. They are now too cool to come onto a lowly FCS board.

Smitty
October 5th, 2013, 07:49 AM
ESPN Streak for the Cash Game has a prop for this

NCF (Georgia State @ #1 Alabama): How many POINTS will Georgia State SCORE?

12:21 PM
ESPN3
http://g.espncdn.com/s/minigames/i/streak/sports/icon_football.gif
NCF

3 Points or Fewer (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2247/georgia-state-panthers)
5.7%

--
4 Points or More (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/2247/georgia-state-panthers)
94.3%

DSUrocks07
October 5th, 2013, 01:02 PM
http://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1383792_10151640859036006_1616624242_n.png

dat recruiting and promotion of the program

Squealofthepig
October 5th, 2013, 02:01 PM
As someone mentioned ODU as the model, some attendance figures from the last few years (from ncaa.org):

ODU - 20,037 (101.29% capacity)
GSU - 12,309 (43.72%)

ODU - 19,818 (100.18%)
GSU - 14,286 (50.74%)

ODU - 19,782 (100.00%)
GSU - 16,750 (59.49%)

Although it should go without saying, you can't build a program by continually losing fans.

clenz
October 5th, 2013, 02:13 PM
those numbers for gsu are easily tripled vs what they really are...If not quadruple

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2