PDA

View Full Version : This would affect VMI, and Citadel as well...

bojeta
October 3rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Service academies must cancel games during government shutdow!!

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston-college-football-army-2013/2013/10/1/4790964/government-shutdown-could-cancel-boston-college-army-football-game

Laker
October 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
I thought that they said the games would be played.

bojeta
October 3rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
I thought that they said the games would be played.

Could be. I only came across the one article. What's the latest word?

Kramer
October 3rd, 2013, 08:04 PM
Could be. I only came across the one article. What's the latest word?

I heard that the service academy games are on.

IBleedYellow
October 3rd, 2013, 08:07 PM
They are back on guys.

The SECDEF had to sign off on them, but they are back on.

bojeta
October 3rd, 2013, 08:11 PM
They are back on guys.

Thanks for the update! Good news!

Sandlapper Spike
October 3rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
It wouldn't affect VMI or The Citadel anyway, as both are state institutions, not federal ones.

kdinva
October 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
It wouldn't affect VMI or The Citadel anyway, as both are state institutions, not federal ones.

and trust me, VMI does not get one nickle of State funds for charter buses, meals, etc.....

blukeys
October 3rd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Little Barry Obama will still get to play golf at Andrews Air Force Base. Of course, if Michelle wants to take 50 of her best friends to Spain, that will get funded as well.

bojeta
October 3rd, 2013, 09:24 PM
Little Barry Obama will still get to play golf at Andrews Air Force Base. Of course, if Michelle wants to take 50 of her best friends to Spain, that will get funded as well.

As will the whims of every congressman, and senator of both parties who continue to receive their pay and all benefits. ALL politicians are lying SOBs. Doesn't matter what party they belong to.

Southern Bison
October 3rd, 2013, 09:34 PM

The commissaries and other functions of Andrews Air Force Base are shut down because of the stalemate, but God forbid if The Anointed One can't play golf.

Think about this...WWII Memorial, an open-air monument without any paid on-site staff, is barricaded for the Gov't shutdown while Andrews AF Golf Course is left open (with staff) so that Obama can play golf whenever he wants.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM
and trust me, VMI does not get one nickle of State funds for charter buses, meals, etc.....

Neither do we. Funded at 8% by the SC government. If we had known we'd have gone private in 93 just like you guys should have.

Southern Bison
October 3rd, 2013, 09:37 PM
As will the whims of every congressman, and senator of both parties who continue to receive their pay and all benefits. ALL politicians are lying SOBs. Doesn't matter what party they belong to.

Bojeta, there are a few Republican members of Congress that have instructed the appropriate personnel that they will not accept any paychecks as long as the Gov't is shut down. Haven't seen any from the other side mention it....

CID1990
October 3rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
The service academies athletic programs are largely revenue driven, which is why the games are on. Trying to shut them down was just another lefty ploy to make the pain public, like shutting down unattended parks and monuments. They couldn't shut down the games because they aren't dependent on fed funds. So this one was a fail.

UAalum72
October 3rd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Bojeta, there are a few Republican members of Congress that have instructed the appropriate personnel that they will not accept any paychecks as long as the Gov't is shut down. Haven't seen any from the other side mention it....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/10/01/which-lawmakers-will-refuse-their-pay-during-the-shutdown/

bojeta
October 3rd, 2013, 11:55 PM

Don't mistake my comment in any way as an endorsement of Democrats. I meant what I said when I called them all liars. When multi-millionaires (from both parties as I discovered) symbolically refuse a paycheck in exchange for votes, I'm unimpressed. Pre-requisite for a political career is to be a lying SOB.

Western_101
October 4th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Are not the likes of the Citadel and VMI considered SMC (Senior Military Colleges) not Service Academies?

Apparently Texas A&M and Virginia Tech pump out some officers too......I just recently learned that.

LeadBolt
October 4th, 2013, 03:49 AM
The commissaries and other functions of Andrews Air Force Base are shut down because of the stalemate, but God forbid if The Anointed One can't play golf.

Think about this...WWII Memorial, an open-air monument without any paid on-site staff, is barricaded for the Gov't shutdown while Andrews AF Golf Course is left open (with staff) so that Obama can play golf whenever he wants.

I wonder if any of the White House Staff or Congressional Staff have been impacted by the shutdown?

OhioHen
October 4th, 2013, 06:04 AM
They are back on guys.

Only applies to football. All other sports are still shut down.

IBleedYellow
October 4th, 2013, 06:27 AM
There are quite a lot of universities that pump out 10-50 officers through their ROTC programs, too ;)

catamount man
October 4th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Bush played more golf. Carry on conk....

CID1990
October 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Link?

Biff
October 4th, 2013, 07:24 AM
There are quite a lot of universities that pump out 10-50 officers through their ROTC programs, too ;)

A&M, The Citadel and VMI have Corps of Cadets between 1500 to 2500 in size. I think they all average around 35% to 45% of the senior classes going into the military. Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets is somewhere around 1000, I think and they claim that 80% receive a commission (I think they are counting reserve status as well, otherwise that seems high).

Not sure the numbers at Norwich and Georgia State, but there Corps are pretty much extinct from what my friends that graduated from those corps' tell me.

Either way, 10-50 is low compared to the Senior Military Colleges, but everyone counts and I am grateful for their service.

Biff
October 4th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Not that I care, everyone should have time off, but I think your statement is wrong ...

http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/18/obama-has-golfed-four-times-more-than-bush-did-in-eight-years/

and there is this ...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/golf/04/20/golf.obama.bush/index.html

Go Green
October 4th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Oh for ****'s sake. We already lost one thread because of political discussion.

Is it really that hard to just focus on football?

ASUMountaineer
October 4th, 2013, 07:57 AM

xlolx

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Just for kicks and grins, I looked up a few numbers regarding commissioning rates and size of the Corps of Cadets at each of the 6 designated Senior Military Colleges. Some of these numbers are approximate, so no body get their panties in a wad. I had to approximate some numbers by the commissioning rates the schools advertise and the estimated size of each class. These account for about 700-800 Officers each year commissioned in all services.

Norwich - 1819 - Commissions about 150/yr (Corps size 1300)
VMI - 1839 - commissioned 102 officers in 2012 (~42% of Corps Seniors - Corps size 1600)
The Citadel - 1842 - commissioned 183 officers in 2012 (~38% of Corps Seniors - Corps size 2100)
VaTech - 1872 - commissioned 78 officers in 2012 (~35% of Corps Seniors - Corps size (1000)
North Georgia - 1873 - Commissions about 70/yr (Corps size 800)
Texas A&M - 1876 - commissioned 179 officers in 2012 (~35% of Corps Seniors - Corps size 2600)

Biff
October 4th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks ElCid ... I was wrong on a couple there ...

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Thanks ElCid ... I was wrong on a couple there ...

I was surprised by some of the numbers myself. I guess I never realized the size fo the VaTech and A&M Corps. I actually think our Corps is bigger lately. I thought I saw a 2300 figure somewhere so my number may be off. Maybe I saw it in the Alum Mag. Also, in the latest Cid Alumni Mag, it broke out the numbers for commissions by service and I was really shocked. The Army had like 88, but the AF only had 15! Lots going into the MC and Navy as well. Obviously due to the latest conflicts but when I was commissioned I was one of 55 for the AF. Oh how things change.

In any event, VaTech and A&M have huge student bodies outside of the Corps so recruiting is going to be easy. I do not think they have many (any?) players in their corps but I have no figures. Tougher for us and VMI even if we can use grad studs with eligibility at El Cid. I think N. Ga and Norwich are DI II and III respectively but they have sizable civilian student bodies in addition to their Corps. The service academies top out around 4600 each now by law. It is tough to get talented player when you have to live a spartan life, or the big players when you have size standards, even if some rules are bent a little. But I would not change it just to do a little better in football.

Sandlapper Spike
October 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I believe Gen. Rosa said 45% of the Class of 2013 at The Citadel was commissioned, a bit of a jump from the year before, which is in keeping with the stated goals of the administration (50%+).

There are currently about 2140 students in the corps of cadets.

Southern Bison
October 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/10/01/which-lawmakers-will-refuse-their-pay-during-the-shutdown/

Hadn't seen that report...good to see many of them at least making the gesture.

CID1990
October 4th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Still waiting for that link....

ngineer
October 4th, 2013, 11:17 PM

the memorials have to be shut down if there are no security officers to protect them from desecration/vandalism. The Lincoln Memorial was hit just the other week with spray paint by 'anti-government' types. Some people have to get over the fact that an election was just held where the Affordable Healthcare Act was a major issue and the proponent of the law, now upheld by the Supreme Court, won. If people have problems with it, there are constitutional means to repeal or amend it, but don't threaten the good faith and credit of the United States because you can't win an election. Third World banana republics do what a radical few are threatening.

citdog
October 4th, 2013, 11:22 PM
the memorials have to be shut down if there are no security officers to protect them from desecration/vandalism. The Lincoln Memorial was hit just the other week with spray paint by 'anti-government' types. Some people have to get over the fact that an election was just held where the Affordable Healthcare Act was a major issue and the proponent of the law, now upheld by the Supreme Court, won. If people have problems with it, there are constitutional means to repeal or amend it, but don't threaten the good faith and credit of the United States because you can't win an election. Third World banana republics do what a radical few are threatening.

I don't recall a referendum on national health care on the ballot last time. Did I just miss it? Pretty sure I looked carefully.........

The lincoln memorial should be wiped from the face of the earth. Why would anyone want to celebrate a tyrant?

ElCid
October 4th, 2013, 11:54 PM

Last time I check we had a government of checks and balances. The president does not run the country alone. The Senate does not. What the House is doing is 100% constitutional and the Republican members are doing exactly what those who elected them, want them to do. The Democrats do not like it, but that is just too bad. They do not tell my rep what to do, I do. And the last election confirmed that the law does not have the support of nearly as many people as the left would have you believe. If the election was about Obocare why is the House controlled by the Republicans? They seemed to have won that election. Since the days of the founding fathers, the government had functioned based on COMPROMISE. When I hear the president say he will not compromise one inch, it sounds just like a child throwing a temper tamtrum. Someone should put him over their knee. The mid-term election might just do that.

PAllen
October 5th, 2013, 12:36 AM

Sorry ngineer, but the National Park Police are all still on duty over there. The only ones furloughed are the Rangers handing out pamphlets. Closing the memorials is purely a "make it visible and make it hurt" move. But heh, I here we got a good deal on the barricade rental.

Red & Black
October 5th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Don't mistake my comment in any way as an endorsement of Democrats. I meant what I said when I called them all liars. When multi-millionaires (from both parties as I discovered) symbolically refuse a paycheck in exchange for votes, I'm unimpressed. Pre-requisite for a political career is to be a lying SOB.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catbooster
October 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Last time I check we had a government of checks and balances. The president does not run the country alone. The Senate does not. What the House is doing is 100% constitutional and the Republican members are doing exactly what those who elected them, want them to do. The Democrats do not like it, but that is just too bad. They do not tell my rep what to do, I do. And the last election confirmed that the law does not have the support of nearly as many people as the left would have you believe. If the election was about Obocare why is the House controlled by the Republicans? They seemed to have won that election. Since the days of the founding fathers, the government had functioned based on COMPROMISE. When I hear the president say he will not compromise one inch, it sounds just like a child throwing a temper tamtrum. Someone should put him over their knee. The mid-term election might just do that.
Entirely agree, but it's not just the president. It seems like we keep electing ideologues that are unwilling to compromise on both sides of the aisle. One of the biggest problems with our government lately IMO.

CID1990
October 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Entirely agree, but it's not just the president. It seems like we keep electing ideologues that are unwilling to compromise on both sides of the aisle. One of the biggest problems with our government lately IMO.

We also keep electing politicians who do nothing but compromise the farm away.