PDA

View Full Version : The "Lessened Expectations Bowl" or, ASU at The Citadel

CID1990
October 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
From our board today:

Alright...time for everyone to take the revolvers out of your mouths. CrAppy is putting on their city clothes, brushing their tooth, and will be kissing their cousin goodbye with instructions for the children to stay away from the wood-chipper. xlolx

While they are riding their mules off the mountain and head to the ocean, they have plenty of time to ruminate on the ass-kicking the Dogs put on them last year.

Playing in the sun on Saturday. Time for The Citadel Football Program and all of it's supporters to put their big-boy pants on and make this game our Waterloo. Suspend the whining until 5 on Saturday.

To paraphrase CB - Hit 'em in the mouth and break that tooth!

Will The Citadel show up?

Will ASU show up?

Will the number of teeth on the visitor's side equal the number of ASU fans present?

Will Citdog make an appearance?

What is the Matrix?

Will ASU get their revenge?

Will El Cid send ASU off without a "Big 3" win over The Citadel in any sport for 2 years?

Like Chal Port once said, "It's a battle of the pissants now."

ASUG8
October 2nd, 2013, 03:21 PM
Touchdown Citadel!....no wait, that was last year. Are you guys finished scoring on us from last year yet?

ASUMountaineer
October 2nd, 2013, 03:24 PM
I don't know, but I wish I could make it for our last trip to Chucktown. Mainly so I could ask Citdog if Citadel was a real military school, why isn't our game on Saturday possibly postponed/canceled? xblehxxlolx

In all seriousness, I don't think anyone expected this game to feature one-win teams on both sides. But, we'll see what happens. I fully expect the game to be similar to our game last week, but possibly with more scoring. I certainly am not expecting a win.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Touchdown Citadel!....no wait, that was last year. Are you guys finished scoring on us from last year yet?

We stopped scoring the minute we kicked off against CSU this year. Unfortunately.

ElCid
October 2nd, 2013, 04:19 PM
Actually, while The Citadel is little off where we thought we would be, and App is obviously off as well, I will pat ourselves on the back because we will still have 13-14K in the stands, and 1-2K will be App St fans, so I will pat them on the back as well. They do travel well. But then again, Charleston women have most of their teeth so that might explain it.

Final prediction - ? Does it really matter at this point? The one thing I am sure of is that my wife is driving home because I am drinking heavily.

CID1990
October 2nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
I was actually coming back to the States for this game, and then my wife reminded me that I had already bought tickets to see Aerosmith this Friday night here in San Salvador.

I agonized over it, but in the end I'm glad I opted to come for Homecoming after all. No matter what the outcome of this game, it isn't going to be satisfying.

Reign of Terrier
October 2nd, 2013, 04:54 PM
I think it would be safe to say that the Citadel would be out of playoff consideration...

CID1990
October 2nd, 2013, 05:16 PM
I think it would be safe to say that the Citadel would be out of playoff consideration...

Thanks, Einstein. What would we do without you?

ElCid
October 2nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
I was actually coming back to the States for this game, and then my wife reminded me that I had already bought tickets to see Aerosmith this Friday night here in San Salvador.

I agonized over it, but in the end I'm glad I opted to come for Homecoming after all. No matter what the outcome of this game, it isn't going to be satisfying.

I don't think Homecoming will be satisfying either. Especially if Summerlin goes on a tear. But at least homecoming activities are more fun.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 2nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
Mountain bumpkins win 21-17.

Apphole
October 2nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
I sandbagged on YC, so I'll be a homer on AGS.

38-31 in favor of the App State Mountaineers.

Time of possession will favor El Cid something like 40-20, but the dawgs will have no answer for Sean Price and Marcus Cox. Nate Woody FINALLY learns how to run a defense at the end of the game and makes a stop to give us our second win of the farewell tour.

Real sad I can't make it this year.

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 05:50 AM
I sandbagged on YC, so I'll be a homer on AGS.

38-31 in favor of the App State Mountaineers.

Time of possession will favor El Cid something like 40-20, but the dawgs will have no answer for Sean Price and Marcus Cox. Nate Woody FINALLY learns how to run a defense at the end of the game and makes a stop to give us our second win of the farewell tour.

Real sad I can't make it this year.

Sean Price is a good player, but I'm not sure App State can get him the football.

I think the Citadel shows some pluck and wins the game.

Apphole
October 3rd, 2013, 06:39 AM
Sean Price is a good player, but I'm not sure App State can get him the football.

I think the Citadel shows some pluck and wins the game.

Although he didn't score against Chuck South, he got the ball plenty. That loss was purely on the defense. At Elon he made a great showing as well, though he was overshadowed by an dominant Marcus Cox.

AppAlum2003
October 3rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
http://youtu.be/atfDg4fLcks

PaladinFan
October 3rd, 2013, 07:31 AM
Although he didn't score against Chuck South, he got the ball plenty. That loss was purely on the defense. At Elon he made a great showing as well, though he was overshadowed by an dominant Marcus Cox.

You could fill a book with the players who have had "dominant" games against Elon. Heck, Furman had six sacks against them last season.

ASUMountaineer
October 3rd, 2013, 08:02 AM
Actually, while The Citadel is little off where we thought we would be, and App is obviously off as well, I will pat ourselves on the back because we will still have 13-14K in the stands, and 1-2K will be App St fans, so I will pat them on the back as well. They do travel well. But then again, Charleston women have most of their teeth so that might explain it.

Final prediction - ? Does it really matter at this point? The one thing I am sure of is that my wife is driving home because I am drinking heavily.

Well stated. I'm just along for the farewell tour at this point. My only "must win" at this point is West Carolina.

ASUMountaineer
October 3rd, 2013, 08:05 AM
You could fill a book with the players who have had "dominant" games against Elon. Heck, Furman had six sacks against them last season.

Well, Cox also had three touchdowns (2 rushing, 1 receiving) last week against 5-0 CSU. Just saying...

He is the two-time reigning FOW for the SoCon, but feel free to discredit his performances as you wish. xthumbsupx

Sandlapper Spike
October 3rd, 2013, 09:02 AM
Not sure what will happen in this one, other than I will be mildly surprised if Sean Price doesn't have a big game.

Apphole
October 3rd, 2013, 09:03 AM

You may be right, we may have trouble getting the ball to Price. I was just saying that the limited evidence, his performance in the two games in which he's played, suggests otherwise.

Stick you your hunch if you wish.

SpeedkingATL
October 3rd, 2013, 09:24 AM
The question to me is will either defense show up or will Citadel run over, thru and around App while App airs it out all day. This could be another of those 42-41 games where a key turnover or special teams play (ours are historically bad) makes the difference. Either way, I look forward to the trip from ATL and expect it to be a great weekend. Best of luck to all and may App please win this one.

Ever get the feeling that you went to a football game and saw a track meet???? Could happen on Saturday.

PhillyApp1
October 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
My expectations are SO low that having an idea is impossible....too many options ;-)...Triple Option for one

What I do know is if ASU comes up short, the rest of the season may be lost....like losing to Chatt or Western....the thoughts make me sick

So, Good luck APP !!

WataugaDave
October 3rd, 2013, 01:22 PM

It's very likely that we could lose this game purely on defense as well, since Satterfield and Woody seem to have the combined defensive prowess of André Maginot. What improvements have been made since the Montana game? Even the win at Elon was a defensive disappointment.

dungeonjoe
October 3rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
It's very likely that we could lose this game purely on defense as well, since Satterfield and Woody seem to have the combined defensive prowess of André Maginot. What improvements have been made since the Montana game? Even the win at Elon was a defensive disappointment. I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

ElCid
October 3rd, 2013, 02:54 PM
It's very likely that we could lose this game purely on defense as well, since Satterfield and Woody seem to have the combined defensive prowess of André Maginot. What improvements have been made since the Montana game? Even the win at Elon was a defensive disappointment.

I must say it is nice to see peolpe with a bit of history IQ.

CID1990
October 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM

Don't worry, we'll find a way to boost you guys' self esteem on defense.

We might just come out and throw every down. Or run the veer- we havent tried that one yet. Who knows?

PhillyApp1
October 3rd, 2013, 05:37 PM

We might just come out and throw every down. Or run the veer- we havent tried that one yet. Who knows?

I am not falling for that ploy ;-)

TOUCHDOWN CIDADEL !!

CID1990
October 3rd, 2013, 09:43 PM
I am not falling for that ploy ;-)

TOUCHDOWN CIDADEL !!

You're right!

Touchdown CiTadel!!

Biff
October 4th, 2013, 07:32 AM

I think you are off on the defense a little (not much), but the offense has to move the ball ... hell while we are throwing the other offenses schemes; Power I, Spread, TO, West Coast, Pro Style, or whatever else I think I have seen; lets do the veer, wing T, and wishbone ... might be fun to watch since we can't move the ball anyways.

Saint3333
October 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM
What's the fuss about exhibition games?

PaladinFan
October 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM
What's the fuss about exhibition games?

Everyone wants to see App State off in style.

PhillyApp1
October 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Everyone wants to see App State off in style.

And APP as gracious as we are, is giving ALL Socon teams the perfect opportunity.
So, don't let it go bye bye

Doors are really open for Western and Mocs xrotatehx

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Going to overtime.

Engineer86
October 5th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Saw citadel up 3 is it over?

CID1990
October 5th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Yup. We intercepted AS Ewe and then pooched a field goal.

Field goal Citadel!!

AppChicago
October 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Saw citadel up 3 is it over?

Yep. 31-28. Congrats, El Cid. Off to punch myself in the face for half an hour.

Kramer
October 5th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Congrats to The Citadel. Great win!

ElCid
October 5th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Just got back home. Can't talk hardly I yelled so much. Crazy game and I did drink too much. Never should have got to OT. Dogs let them score in under a minute to tie it up with like 1:30 to go. I am really not sure what App State's deal is. They have some great players but they just don't seem to string it together for a whole game. Ga So next. I will be there for certain.

kdinva
October 5th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Congrats to The Citadel. Great win!

+1 xhighfivex

Bill
October 5th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Good job Citadel!

Lehigh'98
October 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Nice win!!

CID1990
October 5th, 2013, 07:18 PM
It's kind of sad to know this was the last matchup. I still will go to the occasional game in Boone (since we have a house up there), but it will be to see them play Sun Belt teams instead of El Cid.

Good to go out with 2 wins, though.