PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh 2014 schedule has season starting gauntlet

ngineer
September 30th, 2013, 11:26 PM
For all of those bemoaning Lehigh's cupcake OOC the past two years, that is about to change. Next season the Mountain Hawks welcome back to Goodman Stadium on September 6, James Madison for a reprise of their great NCAA playoff game in 2004 (the infamous "seven shots from the one" goal line stand). The following week, Lehigh then completes the home and home by visiting New Hampshire on September 13.

Twentysix
September 30th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Good on Lehigh! Hopefully those teams don't tank in the meantime.

citdog
September 30th, 2013, 11:29 PM
unh tanked on saturday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
Great to see! I've been kept in the loop so I knew something like this was in the works. Hopefully there's not a FBS game as well.

Is Princeton still slated for week 3? Hopefully not! Everyone deserves a cupcake!

Bill
September 30th, 2013, 11:40 PM
reprise of their great NCAA playoff game in 2004 (the infamous "seven shots from the one" goal line stand).

Uggh. I still have a hard time with that one. That was one of my most frustrating days!

Go...gate
September 30th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Great to see! I've been kept in the loop so I knew something like this was in the works. Hopefully there's not a FBS game as well.

Is Princeton still slated for week 3? Hopefully not! Everyone deserves a cupcake!

I keep hearing something about Lehigh-USC at the Los Angeles Coliseum. :)

Seriously, congrats on a nice upgrade! Good for the Engineers and for the Patriot League!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 11:42 PM
7th and goal. I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't think anyone was ever able to figure out why the defender was called for a penalty.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Uggh. I still have a hard time with that one. That was one of my most frustrating days!

That was a great game, which Lehigh deserved to win.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 01:18 AM
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9103/ghm5.png

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2013, 06:34 AM

One team's cupcake is another team's hardtack.

RichH2
October 1st, 2013, 06:34 AM
Nice start. You aint seen nothing yet. More to come

NoDak 4 Ever
October 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM
Hopefully they are better than #26 and #27 at the end of the season.

carney2
October 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
Lafayette will be bellying up to the cupcake counter in 2014. Of course, unless there's a coaching change (no chance of that), they will choke on most, if not all, of them.

Bill
October 1st, 2013, 07:47 AM

DFW - I love the Civil War era reference to hardtack...my son recently had to make some for a school project...yummy! :)

danefan
October 1st, 2013, 07:56 AM
Now you'll have 25% of the sense of what its like to play a CAA slate.

Try this eight-week stretch and let me know how it feels:

@ODU
@JMU
@Delaware
vs. Towson
@Richmond
vs. Maine
vs. UNH
@Stony Brook

danefan
October 1st, 2013, 08:01 AM
BTW - what does this say about JMU's 2014 ambitions?

Would they really agree to an away game at Lehigh if they intended on moving to CUSA?

Could mean two things: They'll buy it out or they aren't going anywhere.

Lehigh'98
October 1st, 2013, 08:06 AM

@ODU
@JMU
@Delaware
vs. Towson
@Richmond
vs. Maine
vs. UNH
@Stony Brook

At least we will have 1 win in the CAA this year ;)

LUHawker
October 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
For all of those bemoaning Lehigh's cupcake OOC the past two years, that is about to change. Next season the Mountain Hawks welcome back to Goodman Stadium on September 6, James Madison for a reprise of their great NCAA playoff game in 2004 (the infamous "seven shots from the one" goal line stand). The following week, Lehigh then completes the home and home by visiting New Hampshire on September 13.

It was my understanding last year that the JMU game was in Virginia. Was this a change?

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 08:17 AM

Would they really agree to an away game at Lehigh if they intended on moving to CUSA?

Typically you make sense danefan but this time not so much. How would a game against Lehigh impact James Madison's FBS aspirations?

superman7515
October 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Just because you have two pieces of broccoli on your plate doesn't mean you are eating healthy and get a pass on the nine cupcakes.

heath
October 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM
Lehigh was going to Harrisonburg in 2014, but travel budget issues came up and JMU agreed to go to Bethlehem. Even if you start to upgrade your schedule the same haters make excuses. Maybe they prefer cupcakes and broccoli when drinking their beer.xnodx

danefan
October 1st, 2013, 09:05 AM
Typically you make sense danefan but this time not so much. How would a game against Lehigh impact James Madison's FBS aspirations?

Travelling to Lehigh. No CUSA team is travelling to Goodman Stadium anytime soon.

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

+2.

I respect them scheduling tougher for the out of conference as a result of the league quality, but aren't we really just basically congratulating them for play a half a month's worth of CAA league games?

I think Albany and Stony Brook, though both would have had down years anyway, are getting an idea of just how brutal league play really is. We certainly may not be as top heavy as a couple other conferences, but it sure does feel like a brutal row to hoe every year.

Lehigh'98
October 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM
+2.

I respect them scheduling tougher for the out of conference as a result of the league quality, but aren't we really just basically congratulating them for play a half a month's worth of CAA league games?

I think Albany and Stony Brook, though both would have had down years anyway, are getting an idea of just how brutal league play really is. We certainly may not be as top heavy as a couple other conferences, but it sure does feel like a brutal row to hoe every year.

As you are seeing with Fordham this year, once all the PL teams are up to 63 scholarships, it will be a much tougher league than now. (At least I hope)

PAllen
October 1st, 2013, 09:29 AM
Lehigh was going to Harrisonburg in 2014, but travel budget issues came up and JMU agreed to go to Bethlehem.

Travel budget issues? Seriously? After this year where our longest road trip is to Hamilton? I ran the numbers a few weeks ago and the average distance to away games was like an hour and a half.

Now that I think about it, could it really be the logistics costs for having 150 at Yankee Stadium? If so, thank you and good job to JMU for being willing to flip the home and away.

PAllen
October 1st, 2013, 09:30 AM
+2.

Whatever helps you guys sleep better at night when you miss the playoffs.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 09:57 AM
Travelling to Lehigh. No CUSA team is travelling to Goodman Stadium anytime soon.

OK I get now; this assumes a 2014 move. James Madison would have to change its entire 2014 schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The entire 2012 offseason: "Lehigh isn't scheduling tough enough. Play more CAA teams!"

2013 after beating UNH: "They should play a CAA schedule! That will be tough enough!"

And then people wonder why they feel like I need to advocate for the Patriot League.

Maybe Fordham's schedule is tough enough this season? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 11:00 AM
Travel budget issues? Seriously? After this year where our longest road trip is to Hamilton? I ran the numbers a few weeks ago and the average distance to away games was like an hour and a half.

Now that I think about it, could it really be the logistics costs for having 150 at Yankee Stadium? If so, thank you and good job to JMU for being willing to flip the home and away.

I thought that was all Lafayette's baby, though I could be wrong about that.

CFBfan
October 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM

@ODU
@JMU
@Delaware
vs. Towson
@Richmond
vs. Maine
vs. UNH
@Stony Brook

You joined the league, now deal with the schedule!!
over the next 5 years LU will have more playoff bids (AQ or AL) than Albany (no brainer, I know)! and very likely over the next 10 as well
IF and it's still an IF LU builds up its OOC (and the PL improves with schollies) they will be looked at as having done it the right way!

superman7515
October 1st, 2013, 11:18 AM
As you are seeing with Fordham this year, once all the PL teams are up to 63 scholarships, it will be a much tougher league than now. (At least I hope)

Or they will be the MEAC north. We've already seen the type of thuggery that Lehigh is bringing in now that scholarships are on the table. xlolx

DFW HOYA
October 1st, 2013, 12:10 PM
IF and it's still an IF LU builds up its OOC (and the PL improves with schollies) they will be looked at as having done it the right way!

Contrary to some wiseguys out there, Georgetown's 2014 non-conference schedule is not:

9/6: Davidson
9/13: at Davidson
9/20: Davidson
9/27: at Davidson

Actually, the Hoyas have Brown and Harvard so far, and that's with lots of holes to fill from this year's senior class. Princeton and Wagner roll off the schedule.

superman7515
October 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Contrary to some wiseguys out there, Georgetown's 2014 non-conference schedule is not:

Actually, the Hoyas have Brown and Harvard so far, and that's with lots of holes to fill from this year's senior class. Princeton and Wagner roll off the schedule.

2016 conference schedule:

@ Drake
vs Jacksonville
vs Marist
@ Davidson
@ Campbell
vs San Diego
@ Stetson
vs Valparaiso

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/the-civil-war-life-in-camp-hard-tack-everett.jpg

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 01:29 PM
DFW - I love the Civil War era reference

we prefer 'The Late Unpleasantness'.

or 'Mr. Lincoln's War'

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/the-civil-war-life-in-camp-hard-tack-everett.jpg

I had no idea they had pop tarts back then!

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 01:58 PM
I had no idea they had pop tarts back then!

and shoes that you WORE into left and right.

when WE had shoes

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s2PrBZjsdgM/TkMSkFXKxMI/AAAAAAAAAMA/RRcR6dogXH0/s400/leesboys.jpg

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The entire 2012 offseason: "Lehigh isn't scheduling tough enough. Play more CAA teams!"

2013 after beating UNH: "They should play a CAA schedule! That will be tough enough!"

And then people wonder why they feel like I need to advocate for the Patriot League.

Maybe Fordham's schedule is tough enough this season? xlolx xlolx xlolx

First of all, I can't remember even having a thought prior to this thread about who Lehigh did and didn't schedule. The thread was started for purposes I suppose of giving Lehigh fans yet another thread to discuss themselves, and this one with a subtext of looking for a pat on the back. 'A scheduling 'gauntlet' has been thrown down for 2014. Shower us with praise.'

What would would one expect the response to be? Here's a box of dog biscuits and some balloons! Congrats for playing some of our league opponents!

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2013, 03:15 PM
Whatever helps us sleep better at night when we're Christmas tree shopping the in early December again.

Completely agree. And I think we're finally reaching some conclusions about the purpose of why this thread was created.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM
First of all, I can't remember even having a thought prior to this thread about who Lehigh did and didn't schedule. The thread was started for purposes I suppose of giving Lehigh fans yet another thread to discuss themselves, and this one with a subtext of looking for a pat on the back. 'A scheduling 'gauntlet' has been thrown down for 2014. Shower us with praise.'

What would would one expect the response to be? Here's a box of dog biscuits and some balloons! Congrats for playing some of our league opponents!

Obviously you did, because your leading move was

You obviously had some thought that Lehigh didn't schedule tough out-of-conference.

I'm sure nobody, least of all me, are looking for a pat on the back. But perhaps acknowledging that Lehigh seems like they're addressing the criticism that you and others have been critiquing Lehigh for years about might be nice without any chest-thumping about the CAA.

Ivytalk
October 1st, 2013, 03:26 PM
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9103/ghm5.png

We all know that "AGS" really stands for "Another Goodman Story."xrolleyesx

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM
Obviously you did, because your leading move was

You obviously had some thought that Lehigh didn't schedule tough out-of-conference.

I'm sure nobody, least of all me, are looking for a pat on the back. But perhaps acknowledging that Lehigh seems like they're addressing the criticism that you and others have been critiquing Lehigh for years about might be nice without any chest-thumping about the CAA.

Huh? A 'Leading move'? Is this a game of checkers? Feel free to point to any of the approximately 5.5 posts per month that I've contributed to this site over the last 6 years where I've even mentioned Lehigh's out of conference schedule, prior to this thread. Obviously it's something you've given yourself some keyboarding callouses discussing through the years, so allow me to slowly walk away from the crazy man with the gun...

Just as a reminder:

^^^^ was the lead post in the thread. I wouldn't need to do any research beyond the original commentary to know that Lehigh's OOC had been discredited. I have done none of it prior to this thread. But for the record, I don't really find it worthy of any further admiration that you're playing a few CAA opponents.

Now that I've had the chance to look at the rankings over the last few days, and with this discussion I've had a chance to form some opinions. I'll say this year that I think Lehigh is completely overrated at this point in the polls along with several other schools. I've got no problem with your schedule as it is, I just find the 1 score victories over Monmouth, Princeton and CCSU to be incredibly unimpressive. Princeton averaged 5.5 a carry against you with an O-Line averaging about 275 lbs. It took you Double OT to beat a horrid CCSU. I haven't the slightest idea what voters are thinking putting Lehigh where they are, but I feel pretty confident that there are at least 2 or 3 losses ahead on the schedule against pretty bad teams. There's no question in my mind that UNH is the best win on your schedule to date, but I think this year is probably the end their playoff run anyway, mostly as a result of their failure to schedule a 12th game.

heath
October 1st, 2013, 04:20 PM
Huh? A 'Leading move'? Is this a game of checkers? Feel free to point to any of the approximately 5.5 posts per month that I've contributed to this site over the last 6 years where I've even mentioned Lehigh's out of conference schedule, prior to this thread. Obviously it's something you've given yourself some keyboarding callouses discussing through the years, so allow me to slowly walk away from the crazy man with the gun...

Just as a reminder:

^^^^ was the lead post in the thread. I wouldn't need to do any research beyond the original commentary to know that Lehigh's OOC had been discredited. I have done none of it prior to this thread. But for the record, I don't really find it worthy of any further admiration that you're playing a few CAA opponents.

Now that I've had the chance to look at the rankings over the last few days, and with this discussion I've had a chance to form some opinions. I'll say this year that I think Lehigh is completely overrated at this point in the polls along with several other schools. I've got no problem with your schedule as it is, I just find the 1 score victories over Monmouth, Princeton and CCSU to be incredibly unimpressive. Princeton averaged 5.5 a carry against you with an O-Line averaging about 275 lbs. It took you Double OT to beat a horrid CCSU. I haven't the slightest idea what voters are thinking putting Lehigh where they are, but I feel pretty confident that there are at least 2 or 3 losses ahead on the schedule against pretty bad teams. There's no question in my mind that UNH is the best win on your schedule to date, but I think this year is probably the end their playoff run anyway, mostly as a result of their failure to schedule a 12th game.
4-0 is 4-0, Most were waiting for the UNH win so they could trash Lehigh. Win or lose this week,over the past few years Lehigh has been impressive,so just bite your tongue and give a thumbs up. That league will only get better with schollies. Look at Fordham in year 4 of doing soxbowx

ngineer
October 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM

It's home and home, so we're going down there in 2015.

ngineer
October 1st, 2013, 04:33 PM
xflaggedx
Or they will be the MEAC north. We've already seen the type of thuggery that Lehigh is bringing in now that scholarships are on the table. xlolx

Cheap shot. Moreover, that player is not a scholarship player, as he is a sophomore.

ngineer
October 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Completely agree. And I think we're finally reaching some conclusions about the purpose of why this thread was created.

Jesus H.....I posted the thread for the sole purpose of providing, what I thought would be welcome news due to all the bitching by the non-PL ilk around here about the "pitiful" games we had scheduled with Monmouth, CCSU, and Princeton. If tradition holds, JMU and UNH are, almost annually, strong teams, so starting the season with both back to back is a bit of a gauntlet. I am sorry we couldn't get Penn State to come to Goodman, but they have other problems right now.

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 04:41 PM
xflaggedx

Cheap shot. Moreover, that player is not a scholarship player, as he is a sophomore.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/597/21597/347185.jpg

ngineer
October 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM
http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/597/21597/347185.jpg

Don't look like The Pope to me....(;-)

Engineer86
October 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM

Sophomore = no scholarship

how are those riots?

Engineer86
October 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM

Well we know one CAA team that won't take the risk of coming to Bethlehem. Do they play a tougher CAA schedule than UNH, Villanova, JMU or W&M?

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2013, 05:21 PM
Delaware's OOC has been battered around by others for years. Try not to take the discussion so personally.

Suffice to say our match ups coming up at Pitt, Wake Forest, and Virginia Tech are more challenging environments than Murray Goodbar Stadium. The year we play at Wake, we're scheduled to play up in Easton as well. So maybe you should be pointing fingers at someone else for justification as to why the FBH won't be in Bethlehem.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
The year we play at Wake, we're scheduled to play up in Easton as well. So maybe you should be pointing fingers at someone else for justification as to why the FBH won't be in Bethlehem.

That's easy. Look at Lehigh's and Lafayette's records this year.

UNHWildcat18
October 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
unh tanked on saturday.

indeed, as did citadel, for the last decade.

Engineer86
October 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
Delaware's OOC has been battered around by others for years. Try not to take the discussion so personally.

Suffice to say our match ups coming up at Pitt, Wake Forest, and Virginia Tech are more challenging environments than Murray Goodbar Stadium. The year we play at Wake, we're scheduled to play up in Easton as well. So maybe you should be pointing fingers at someone else for justification as to why the FBH won't be in Bethlehem.

Nothing personal, I want to see a UD Lehigh series and I do not see UD willing to play anything but a 2-1 or a home game. MHow challenging ar Pitt, WF and VT. To quote, citdog, "those are money beat downs", not games where the outcome is in question. Honestly most FBS games on schedules do not impress me, but I will/do give credit for wins. Primarily, they are for money and alumni.

citdog
October 1st, 2013, 05:39 PM
indeed, as did citadel, for the last decade.

when is the last time y'all defeated Pig's Ass, GA, Yosef, and Furman in the same season?

State Line Liquors
October 1st, 2013, 06:17 PM
Nothing personal, I want to see a UD Lehigh series and I do not see UD willing to play anything but a 2-1 or a home game. MHow challenging ar Pitt, WF and VT. To quote, citdog, "those are money beat downs", not games where the outcome is in question. Honestly most FBS games on schedules do not impress me, but I will/do give credit for wins. Primarily, they are for money and alumni.

I don't really know what to tell you. If you can't deliver fans to Newark, like UD would bring to Bethlehem, then why should we offer you the fiscal advantage of a one for one? From what I've heard, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette and Cornell have all found terms with Delaware to be agreeable in coming years.

As far as the FBS games are concerned, the financial benefits are questionable at best for UD. I believe the philosophy is to offer our team the excitement of a regional FBS game, that our fans can travel to, that we feel isn't strictly a game we feel we'd have a 100% chance of getting rolled in. I hope to see more of them scheduled.

As it relates to the actual topic of discussion, cheers to playing some CAA games. Apparently that is a tremendous improvement over prior OOC games. Hopefully I through with the topic.

UNHWildcat18
October 1st, 2013, 06:19 PM
when is the last time y'all defeated Pig's Ass, GA, Yosef, and Furman in the same season?

................... When is the last time you defeated Villanova Delaware Towson Richmond JMU in the same season? You can say UNH is bad all you want for the rest of the year, but don't try and justify citadel performing poorly and not making playoffs for the last 10 years because they are in a "tougher conference" than us.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 09:40 PM
I don't really know what to tell you. If you can't deliver fans to Newark, like UD would bring to Bethlehem, then why should we offer you the fiscal advantage of a one for one?

So now the excuse is... Lehigh won't deliver fans to Newark? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bucknell did a better job bringing fans than Lehigh? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Let's additionally look over that Jacksonville attendance figure. Bet that broke some records... xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 10:10 PM
That's easy. Look at Lehigh's and Lafayette's records this year.

Huh? The series with Delaware was scheduled for quite some time ago. We'll be playing Delaware, William & Mary, Army, Penn, and probably Temple and you have what, Monmouth College? A new thread every time someone at Lehigh farts is not always a call for a national celebration.

Go...gate
October 1st, 2013, 10:14 PM

Nice to see that Davidson is getting back into the Patriot League. :D

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM
Nice to see that Davidson is getting back into the Patriot League. :D

Yep. It's been years, hasn't it?

Go...gate
October 1st, 2013, 10:16 PM
indeed, as did THE Citadel, for the last decade.

Fixed it in citdog's honor.

Go...gate
October 1st, 2013, 10:17 PM
Yep. It's been years, hasn't it?

1988, to be exact. I still remember watching Colgate play them in a blizzard in Hamilton.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 10:19 PM
Fixed it in citdog's honor.

I do hope that both our teams are in better shape when we play The Colgate later this season . . . xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Huh? The series with Delaware was scheduled for quite some time ago. We'll be playing Delaware, William & Mary, Army, Penn, and probably Temple and you have what, Monmouth College? A new thread every time someone at Lehigh farts is not always a call for a national celebration.

You're right, only 60+ replies. xlolx

PAllen
October 1st, 2013, 10:27 PM

Here's a tip pal: When you quote someone, use their actual quote. If you make changes to that quote highlight the changes and note that you made changes.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 10:34 PM
Here's a tip pal: When you quote someone, use their actual quote. If you make changes to that quote highlight the changes and note that you made changes.

I always claim literary license. At least on AGS.

PAllen
October 1st, 2013, 10:34 PM
I don't really know what to tell you. If you can't deliver fans to Newark, like UD would bring to Bethlehem, then why should we offer you the fiscal advantage of a one for one? From what I've heard, Colgate, Bucknell, Lafayette and Cornell have all found terms with Delaware to be agreeable in coming years.

As far as the FBS games are concerned, the financial benefits are questionable at best for UD. I believe the philosophy is to offer our team the excitement of a regional FBS game, that our fans can travel to, that we feel isn't strictly a game we feel we'd have a 100% chance of getting rolled in. I hope to see more of them scheduled.

As it relates to the actual topic of discussion, cheers to playing some CAA games. Apparently that is a tremendous improvement over prior OOC games. Hopefully I through with the topic.

Whatever pal. If you check the attendance records, you'll see that Lehigh has traveled quite well to Newark. UD ended the series so that they could continue to play West Chester at home every year. Now that that series is over, it's Del St. Also, if your school wants to play money games, then fine, but don't call them anything but money games. Unless it's an academy or Temple, Buffalo, UConn or Rutgers (for now), you've got no shot at anything but a paycheck and a loss.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2013, 10:38 PM
Whatever pal. If you check the attendance records, you'll see that Lehigh has traveled quite well to Newark. UD ended the series so that they could continue to play West Chester at home every year. Now that that series is over, it's Del St. Also, if your school wants to play money games, then fine, but don't call them anything but money games. Unless it's an academy or Temple, Buffalo, UConn or Rutgers (for now), you've got no shot at anything but a paycheck and a loss.

Be sure to ask specifically about the attendance and interest in the Jacksonville game.

PAllen
October 1st, 2013, 10:39 PM
Disregarding all of the Lehigh/PL/anybody not in my conference sucks arguments: Thanks ngineer for posting this info. It's good news that I for one hope to see more of.

And yes Bogie, there have been threads on Lafayette scheduling W&M, UD, and there other upgrades to future schedules when those games were announced. They just tended to be during the off season.

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 10:43 PM
And yes Bogie, there have been threads on Lafayette scheduling W&M, UD, and there other upgrades to future schedules when those games were announced. They just tended to be during the off season.

That's because we're never quite ready for primetime. xcoolx

Bogus Megapardus
October 1st, 2013, 11:03 PM
You're right, only 60+ replies. xlolx

I notice that you keep count, too.

Go...gate
October 2nd, 2013, 01:35 AM
I do hope that both our teams are in better shape when we play The Colgate later this season . . . xnodx

Colgate has a lot of work to do. I watched you guys a couple of times and right now, the Leopards are the better squad.

State Line Liquors
October 2nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
So now the excuse is... Lehigh won't deliver fans to Newark? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Bucknell did a better job bringing fans than Lehigh? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Let's additionally look over that Jacksonville attendance figure. Bet that broke some records... xlolx xlolx xlolx

And where did Bucknell or Jacksonville require a home game for themselves to play us?

If you folks would like to come to Newark, you're welcome to. Just don't expect an even 1 for 1 return game. Why is this so complicated to understand?

RichH2
October 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
And where did Bucknell or Jacksonville require a home game for themselves to play us?

If you folks would like to come to Newark, you're welcome to. Just don't expect an even 1 for 1 return game. Why is this so complicated to understand?
Which brings us back to square one. This is where I differ a bit with LFN. While I enjoyed playng UD back in my Middle 5 days, I see no reason now to go begging to UD for a game. They are just not that much anymore. The current series with UNH and JMU arefine. Why bother at all with UD's demands

PAllen
October 2nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Which brings us back to square one. This is where I differ a bit with LFN. While I enjoyed playng UD back in my Middle 5 days, I see no reason now to go begging to UD for a game. They are just not that much anymore. The current series with UNH and JMU arefine. Why bother at all with UD's demands

+1.

UD could be a great rivalry, but the Blue Hens have no interest in playing games anywhere but Newark. So be it. Although I would be open to heading to Newark for a $800K+ payout. Hey, if they can be unreasonable, so can we. :)

State Line Liquors
October 2nd, 2013, 10:04 AM
UD could be a great rivalry, but the Blue Hens have no interest in playing games anywhere but Newark.

The best rivalries typically don't have lopsided all-time records.

RichH2
October 2nd, 2013, 10:15 AM
The best rivalries typically don't have lopsided all-time records.
Said it was fun not that it was great. Back then it gave us alevel of play to strive for. Now, UD offers us no benefit. A one and done with a middling CAA team means zip as we have H and H games with good CAA teams.

State Line Liquors
October 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Your cohort said it could be great. I've never really thought about it before now. If there was a series of games, it certainly wouldn't be a 1 for 1, more likely 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2 since you folks don't travel well. The 42-20 shellacking in 2010 en route to our most recent title appearance probably quelled the desire among UD fans for any additional dispensation going forward.

Doc QB
October 2nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
Your cohort said it could be great. I've never really thought about it before now. If there was a series of games, it certainly wouldn't be a 1 for 1, more likely 2 for 1 or a 3 for 2 since you folks don't travel well. The 42-20 shellacking in 2010 en route to our most recent title appearance probably quelled the desire among UD fans for any additional dispensation going forward.

That playoff game was notable for being close at half, LU overachieving, and an elite UD team pulling away in second half as it should have, en route to the Championship game. Hardly a reason to write off a series, but if the all time lopsidedness of it does not compell UD fans to have any interest, I'd buy it. But hard to believe they are MORE excited for Wagner, Jacksonville, et al. And we assuredly travel far better than your current OOC foes, and I would argue, much better than some CAA mates.

I totally understand UD not wanting a 1 and 1 with us...they have a tough conference slate, make some cash on home games, and overall are better off with a money game and some softer OOC early games. For us, we need to bolster our OOC contests, as we have taken a beating for it here, some of it obviously deserved because of the scheduling, some because of our performance. This thread began, demonstrating we are trying. Maybe the word 'Gaunlet' was a little much, and led to the CAA fans laughing at a two game gaunlet, which does not compare to their whole slate of CAA games. For now, its an improvement, best we can do. I'd still like a UD series, though...it was fun as a kid, and as a player I never got to the Tub or home against UD; and with it being an easy drive, regardless of the home venue, the crowds would be pretty fun.

superman7515
October 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
xflaggedx

Sophomore = no scholarship

how are those riots?

It's amazing how four years of college can educate the common sense right out of someone. Apparently you guys have completely lost your ability to deduce a joke, even with the added smiley. It was a crack at those who who opposed the PL scholarships because it would bring in the "wrong type of students" which I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say means lack the necessary educational skills, and not just black kids. I give up.

State Line Liquors
October 2nd, 2013, 11:20 AM
That playoff game was notable for being close at half, LU overachieving, and an elite UD team pulling away in second half as it should have, en route to the Championship game. Hardly a reason to write off a series, but if the all time lopsidedness of it does not compell UD fans to have any interest, I'd buy it. But hard to believe they are MORE excited for Wagner, Jacksonville, et al. And we assuredly travel far better than your current OOC foes, and I would argue, much better than some CAA mates.

I totally understand UD not wanting a 1 and 1 with us...they have a tough conference slate, make some cash on home games, and overall are better off with a money game and some softer OOC early games. For us, we need to bolster our OOC contests, as we have taken a beating for it here, some of it obviously deserved because of the scheduling, some because of our performance. This thread began, demonstrating we are trying. Maybe the word 'Gaunlet' was a little much, and led to the CAA fans laughing at a two game gaunlet, which does not compare to their whole slate of CAA games. For now, its an improvement, best we can do. I'd still like a UD series, though...it was fun as a kid, and as a player I never got to the Tub or home against UD; and with it being an easy drive, regardless of the home venue, the crowds would be pretty fun.

Thanks for posting Doc.

I think marginally, UD fans would prefer a UD/Lehigh game to Wagner or Jacksonville. But that added interest wouldn't result in a major improvement at the gate over Wagner or Jax. And at least in the eyes of those responsible for trying to manage the account$, the added 300-400 fans that show up to see Lehigh as opposed to Wagner or Jax doesn't justify the lost 18-19k seats they'd miss out on going back to Bethlehem the following year. I'm truthfully not privy to any negotiations that may or may not have happened in the past, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that if the expectation is a straight 1 for 1 trade off, then it would probably be viewed as a non-starter for UD from a financial perspective. If Lehigh is opposed to an arrangement different than a 1 for 1, then they're entitled to that. The last time that we did negotiate a 1 for 1, it was with Furman and they backed out on their return trip to Newark, which left a sour taste in a lot of mouths.

That said, we have a new AD and a new coach, so perhaps that will usher in a different scheduling philosophy. A 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 would probably be viewed much more favorably than a 1 for 1 though.

As I mentioned earlier, UD has been maligned for years with their out of conference schedule. I don't think Lehigh should really worry themselves about being treated similarly. But I'm not nearly as frequent a visitor to the site as the thread might lead you to believe, so I also wasn't aware of any barbs that were thrown Lehigh's way before this thread was created. At first blush it looked to me like a rather odd request for attention, but I realize now the intention of the OP was likely different.

PAllen
October 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
For the record, I said it COULD be a great rivalry. Once upon a time it was a good series. As for the lopsidedness, I would venture that if we played, oh I don't know, a hundred more times or so, that the record would even out a bit. If UD wants no part of an even series, then that is their decision, but don't then try to play the "you could never be as good as we are" card. I'm more than happy playing UNH, JMU etc along with a few Ivies. The fewer NEC games the better.

ngineer
October 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM
It's amazing how four years of college can educate the common sense right out of someone. Apparently you guys have completely lost your ability to deduce a joke, even with the added smiley. It was a crack at those who who opposed the PL scholarships because it would bring in the "wrong type of students" which I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say means lack the necessary educational skills, and not just black kids. I give up.

I never heard of that argument. The arguments we all heard was that giving scholarships was 'wrong' because kids from well to do families would get scholarships who don't need them. That is the philosophical debate within the PL poohbahs towers. The commencement of giving scholarships has no impact on academic requirements. Since the student involved in the altercation is a sophomore and not a scholarship recipient, my interpretation of the comment led me to think that people were going to start equating the incident with the policy change. I know there was a smiley wink, but I expected others to read the comment seriously. No big deal.

ngineer
October 2nd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks for posting Doc.

I think marginally, UD fans would prefer a UD/Lehigh game to Wagner or Jacksonville. But that added interest wouldn't result in a major improvement at the gate over Wagner or Jax. And at least in the eyes of those responsible for trying to manage the account$, the added 300-400 fans that show up to see Lehigh as opposed to Wagner or Jax doesn't justify the lost 18-19k seats they'd miss out on going back to Bethlehem the following year. I'm truthfully not privy to any negotiations that may or may not have happened in the past, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that if the expectation is a straight 1 for 1 trade off, then it would probably be viewed as a non-starter for UD from a financial perspective. If Lehigh is opposed to an arrangement different than a 1 for 1, then they're entitled to that. The last time that we did negotiate a 1 for 1, it was with Furman and they backed out on their return trip to Newark, which left a sour taste in a lot of mouths.

That said, we have a new AD and a new coach, so perhaps that will usher in a different scheduling philosophy. A 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 would probably be viewed much more favorably than a 1 for 1 though.

As I mentioned earlier, UD has been maligned for years with their out of conference schedule. I don't think Lehigh should really worry themselves about being treated similarly. But I'm not nearly as frequent a visitor to the site as the thread might lead you to believe, so I also wasn't aware of any barbs that were thrown Lehigh's way before this thread was created. At first blush it looked to me like a rather odd request for attention, but I realize now the intention of the OP was likely different.

I know for a fact that we were willing to do a two at UD for one at Goodman, but that was rejected. All future games, at least in the short term (this was back in 2006) would have be at the Hen House aka The Tub. If the new administration has a different view, that is great. UD and Lehigh have a fairly decent rivalry going back many decades and I hope we can renew it.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2013, 08:46 AM

So you're saying Jacksonville travelled better. xlolx

Oh wait, I remembered you only wanted a 1-and-done with a game you're almost certain to win. Now we're getting warmer.

State Line Liquors
October 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
So you're saying Jacksonville travelled better. xlolx

Oh wait, I remembered you only wanted a 1-and-done with a game you're almost certain to win. Now we're getting warmer.

There's been some useful dialogue in the thread recently. Try to join in.

State Line Liquors
October 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
I know for a fact that we were willing to do a two at UD for one at Goodman, but that was rejected. All future games, at least in the short term (this was back in 2006) would have be at the Hen House aka The Tub. If the new administration has a different view, that is great. UD and Lehigh have a fairly decent rivalry going back many decades and I hope we can renew it.

If the negotiations date back to 2006, then they were with an athletic director who has retired, and has now been replaced twice. Perhaps the newest AD will revisit the discussion.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2013, 09:09 AM
If the negotiations date back to 2006, then they were with an athletic director who has retired, and has now been replaced twice. Perhaps the newest AD will revisit the discussion.

+1 I hope so. In all snark-free honesty I think this is a game that electrifies the older alumni (of Lehigh, anyway) because of the history between Tubby and Whitehead. I agree that the luster has gone somewhat since then, but having said that I loved attending all those Lehigh/Delaware games in the past 15 or so years (only missing the 2003 game).

RichH2
October 3rd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Being one of those older Alums, I would enjoy renewing UD series. It would surely be on a more even level now than back in my day

ngineer
October 3rd, 2013, 10:51 PM
Being one of those older Alums, I would enjoy renewing UD series. It would surely be on a more even level now than back in my day

We actually had a decent run against UD back in the 70's and early 80's. UD was one of the four schools on my short list as my uncle played for Nelson back in the early 50's. The gap between games has caused some institutional memory loss for the younger generation, but for those of us from the Dunlap and Whitehead eras, UD was our measuring stick.

RichH2
October 4th, 2013, 08:19 AM
We actually had a decent run against UD back in the 70's and early 80's. UD was one of the four schools on my short list as my uncle played for Nelson back in the early 50's. The gap between games has caused some institutional memory loss for the younger generation, but for those of us from the Dunlap and Whitehead eras, UD was our measuring stick.
Yup, John loved beating UD. Back in the Boardwalk Bowl days,series much less competitive. We could stick with them for a half but had nothing left in the 2nd usually. Still a benchmard for us. As I span 3 coaches, got to see 1st hand the slump and the start of Dunlap.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Those alums/players in the early 2000s caught the hate of Delaware, lovingly brought along by Tubby himself fanning the flames a lot of the time. But once K.C. went to Delaware a lot of the "hate" drained away from that rivalry, I think. Also Delaware started to recruit different sort of athletes/started to focus on competing for FCS national championships. Delaware and Lehigh became a lot less similar over the last 20 years.

No disrespect to Delaware meant at all, but looking now they're just very different schools. Both very good academic schools, just different.

HensRock
October 4th, 2013, 09:32 AM
...I loved attending all those Lehigh/Delaware games in the past 15 or so years (only missing the 2003 game).

UD did not play Lehigh on their way to the title in 2003. Perhaps you meant 2005. If so, that's too bad you missed that one. 34-33 UD in overtime. One of the more exciting games I've ever seen at the Tub.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 09:56 AM
UD did not play Lehigh on their way to the title in 2003. Perhaps you meant 2005. If so, that's too bad you missed that one. 34-33 UD in overtime. One of the more exciting games I've ever seen at the Tub.

Thanks, that's the one I meant. I watched it on CN8. I can still see that missed extra point sailing wide left.

Bill
October 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks, that's the one I meant. I watched it on CN8. I can still see that missed extra point sailing wide left.

Can we please not bring that up? Uggh....

superman7515
October 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Can we please not bring that up? Uggh....

You've got no room to talk until you sit through this...

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/154/488/gerrythomas_display_image.jpg?1265831001

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/danmowrey.jpg

Twice...

With National Championships on the line...

If only Janikowski was there earlier.

Houndawg
October 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Gauntlet is in the eye of the beholder, I'll be impressed when you have a three week run of the likes of @SDSU, @UNI, and NDSU.

CFBfan
October 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Gauntlet is in the eye of the beholder, I'll be impressed when you have a three week run of the likes of @SDSU, @UNI, and NDSU.

well said!! UNH and JMU is not exactly a "gauntlet" !! and upgrade from creampuffs...yes, gauntlet NO!!! and what are the other OOC games? because you still have Gtown, Bucknell and LC every year!

Lehigh'98
October 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'm not convinced dropping Princeton to play another tough FCS is answer for Lehigh. Tradition still counts. I'll be happy with 2 CAA per year. Especially with PL going to 63 scolarships

Kramer
October 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM
well said!! UNH and JMU is not exactly a "gauntlet" !! and upgrade from creampuffs...yes, gauntlet NO!!! and what are the other OOC games? because you still have Gtown, Bucknell and LC every year!
Yes, gauntlet was probably not the best word to choose. Too bad the main point is getting lost because of that.

CFBfan
October 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Yes, gauntlet was probably not the best word to choose. Too bad the main point is getting lost because of that.

kramer you a very level headed realistic LU poster!! because a few LU posters are NOT and are instead constantly trying to defend, justify, pumpup and exhault LU others getting tired of seeing it! Winning and then winning against better teams will bring the respect that some long for and cry about.
LU is heaed in the right direction and if some posters would back off it sure would help at least in hyper space!!
it's sorta like the guy in hs that told everyone he was "getting it" and everyone knew he wasn't

Lehigh Football Nation
October 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Winning and then winning against better teams will bring the respect that some long for and cry about.

2 weeks ago: UNH is a CAA team. They'll win easily.
This week: UNH is overrated.

wapiti
October 4th, 2013, 01:02 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?141271-UNH-Lehigh-quot-The-Overrated-Bowl-quot
and in this thread started by you, you said:

According to AGS, anyway. xlolx

So which is it? Before or after this game that UNH was deemed overrated by AGS?

CFBfan
October 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM

xbabycryx

Kramer
October 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
We'll have a much better idea of how good (or overrated) UNH is after they play a few conference games. We'll also know more about how good Lehigh is tomorrow at about 4pm.

Engineer86
October 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM

And the GD missed extra point hit me to make matters worse. All through the second half my kids kept asking to leave when LU was up 14, but I kept telling them we would leave when LU held with that lead, they never did. UD scores with ease in OT, LU with no momentum at this point finds a way to get in the end zone. Only to lead to the shank.

ngineer
October 4th, 2013, 08:53 PM
And the GD missed extra point hit me to make matters worse. All through the second half my kids kept asking to leave when LU was up 14, but I kept telling them we would leave when LU held with that lead, they never did. UD scores with ease in OT, LU with no momentum at this point finds a way to get in the end zone. Only to lead to the shank.

That was a draining game. Our guys were clearly out of gas halfway through the fourth quarter and UD was able to take advantage of that. To suck it up and match UD's OT score and then miss the XP was a real blow to the gut. It really showed the difference between the CAA teams and top PL teams. We can usually match up pretty good with our starters, but it has been lack of quality depth that really rears its head. Hopefully, that gap is beginning to close over the next couple years.

Engineer86
October 4th, 2013, 08:55 PM

I am in the same boat. I grew up a huge UD fan and dreaded any loss to Temple. My dad played for UD 55-57. My freshman year at LU, UD gets the ball down 19-17 with 2 minutes go on their own 2yd line. They drive down into field goal range with 10 secs left. Bad snap, scramble, and an incomplete pass ... And the crowd goes nuts.

Unfortunately, that was third down. Line up for another try and UD wins 20-19. At least it was Halloween on the Hill.

i would love to take him to one more UD game.

Engineer86
October 4th, 2013, 08:58 PM
That was a draining game. Our guys were clearly out of gas halfway through the fourth quarter and UD was able to take advantage of that. To suck it up and match UD's OT score and then miss the XP was a real blow to the gut. It really showed the difference between the CAA teams and top PL teams. We can usually match up pretty good with our starters, but it has been lack of quality depth that really rears its head. Hopefully, that gap is beginning to close over the next couple years.

I think it will, the first class seems to have talent, just need to keep it up.

Seawolf97
October 4th, 2013, 09:07 PM

I suspect we will see JMU in the CAA in 2014 and beyond.

ngineer
October 4th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I am in the same boat. I grew up a huge UD fan and dreaded any loss to Temple. My dad played for UD 55-57. My freshman year at LU, UD gets the ball down 19-17 with 2 minutes go on their own 2yd line. They drive down into field goal range with 10 secs left. Bad snap, scramble, and an incomplete pass ... And the crowd goes nuts.

Unfortunately, that was third down. Line up for another try and UD wins 20-19. At least it was Halloween on the Hill.

i would love to take him to one more UD game.

Wow, I think my uncle was there at the same time. I think he graduated in 1956. Unfortunately, he's no longer with us. His name was Gary Buckwalter and he was an OL.

State Line Liquors
October 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Just a heads up related to the Lehigh/UD topic that was discussed here, the UD athletic director will be appearing on our weekly 'Blue Hens Lunch Break' online answering questions from fans. Not sure if my question will be answered, but I have posed the following. Hopefully there will be a response:

Eric, there have been some rumors of non-conference 1AA football opponents coming up in future years. Can you share any news of who those potential opponents might be, and overall what your football scheduling philosophy and motivations are with our future 'non-FBS' opponents? Are you open to multi-game/multi-year agreements that might have Delaware traveling to 1AA opponents?

Read more: http://fightinbluehens.proboards.com/thread/563/blue-hens-lunch-break-ziady?page=1&scrollTo=4130#ixzz2hEwusrk6

xsalutexxpeacex

SingForever
October 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Wow, I think my uncle was there at the same time. I think he graduated in 1956. Unfortunately, he's no longer with us. His name was Gary Buckwalter and he was an OL.I was at that game and remember it vividly. I almost lost my soon-to-be wife as I acted so angrily and depressed.. She is no football fan and she thought I was nuts.

RichH2
October 9th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Just a heads up related to the Lehigh/UD topic that was discussed here, the UD athletic director will be appearing on our weekly 'Blue Hens Lunch Break' online answering questions from fans. Not sure if my question will be answered, but I have posed the following. Hopefully there will be a response:

xsalutexxpeacex

Good idea.I'll keep my fingers crossed.xthumbsupx