PDA

View Full Version : Chuck South Adds 13th Game!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Really!

Big South Conference @BigSouthSports
(http://twitter.com/BigSouthSports)Surprise! @csusports (http://twitter.com/csusports) adds a football game THIS season: 10/19 at Colorado. Bucs get waiver to add 13th game, Buffs replace lost "flood game"

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Not sure I agree with this...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Brutal on the players with 13 games, including 8 road games. And they're 5-0 already, too, meaning that lack of a bye week might ultimately, down the line, keep them out of the playoffs.

rokamortis
September 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Seems awfully short sighted by the Bucs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 30th, 2013, 05:32 PM

$$ seems to the main objective at Chuck South. Hopefully they get smacked around. One thing that irks me about FCS are the money skanks...

DSUrocks07
September 30th, 2013, 05:36 PM
$$ seems to the main objective at Chuck South. Hopefully they get smacked around. One thing that irks me about FCS are the money skanks...

I doubt they'll even play their regular starters in this game. Making it a pseudo-bye week.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

bonarae
September 30th, 2013, 06:09 PM

I agree with this... xchinscratchx

One thing that irks me about FCS are the money skanks...

Why? The humiliation sometimes goes a long way... see Austin Peay. (?)

citdog
September 30th, 2013, 06:29 PM

SOME schools don't charge 57, 115 dollars a year to go there and must do these things.

Apphole
September 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Shooting for 13-0 instead of the given 12-0.

Engineer86
September 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM
SOME schools aren't worth 57, 115 dollars a year to go there and must do these things.

Fixed it for you xlolx

T-Dog
September 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
I'm all in favor of App contacting Fresno State (the opponent Colorado couldn't play) and see if they'll play on Dec 7th if they don't make the MWC Title game with a return trip to Boone in 2014 as the price.

bojeta
September 30th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'm all in favor of App contacting Fresno State (the opponent Colorado couldn't play) and see if they'll play on Dec 7th if they don't make the MWC Title game with a return trip to Boone in 2014 as the price.

I believe Fresno State will make the MWC Title game. They're very good, and I think they've played the toughest games in their schedule already. I predict they run the remaining games and go 11-0 into the title game.

T-Dog
September 30th, 2013, 07:26 PM
I believe Fresno State will make the MWC Title game. They're very good, and I think they've played the toughest games in their schedule already. I predict they run the remaining games and go 11-0 into the title game.

I agree with them making the title game, but I think it's still worth the try. Get two extra weeks of practice before going into the Sun Belt. I remember Oregon State had a cancellation recently and got Nicholls State to go up to Corvallis the second week of December if they didn't make the Pac-12 title game, which they didn't.

Sandlapper Spike
September 30th, 2013, 07:41 PM
This will actually be the only FBS game Charleston Southern plays this season, which alleviates things a little bit.

However, if CSU has lost its QB for the season, as may be the case, that long stretch without a break will get even tougher.

Go...gate
September 30th, 2013, 10:36 PM

Anybody in particular??? xangelx

Go...gate
September 30th, 2013, 10:39 PM
SOME schools don't charge 57,115 dollars a year to go there and must do these things.

Some schools charge that and do those things anyway. xhurrayx

DFW HOYA
September 30th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Brutal on the players with 13 games, including 8 road games. And they're 5-0 already, too, meaning that lack of a bye week might ultimately, down the line, keep them out of the playoffs.

What, they didn't call the Ivies?

ngineer
September 30th, 2013, 11:17 PM
SOME schools don't charge 57, 115 dollars a year to go there and must do these things.

only a modest amount of that money goes to athletics. A good portion comes from the alumni partnerships.

knucklehead
October 1st, 2013, 08:05 AM
They just made any chance at running through the top of the Big South much tougher.

walliver
October 1st, 2013, 10:18 AM
CSU's facilities are limited, and I guess they need every penny they can get, but 13 games in a row without a break is too much. Not even the NFL does that. It is possible the Big South could get 3 or 4 teams in the playoffs this year with both GW and CSU playing better football and each could conceivably have 8 wins. Adding this money game may keep CSU out of the playoffs. To be honest, I think a BS team will need at least 8 D-I wins to get a bid due to the conference's long-term reputation and CSU and GW would probably need a share of the title to go to the playoffs. CSU really needs to rest their players a little before playing CCU, LU and GWU

Skyhawk71
October 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM
Since I think that they see the Big South similar to the OVC- 2012- UTM 8-3, TSU 8-3, EKU 8-3, they all beat each other, and they all stayed home- so it wouldn't be shocking if that happens to the Big South- 8 is never automatic- 2008, 'Hawks stayed home 8-2 FCS w 2 other losses to South Florida & Auburn, 8-3 with loss to NIU & beat Memphis- The Big South will most likely get the two that do best surviving each other, but from the OVC perspective 8 will not necessarily get any of them an at large

Also does adding this game automatically increase their strength of schedule which is not good? Wins are wins, but 7/8 are never automatic, even with the increase to 24

CassBison
October 1st, 2013, 10:50 AM
How do they get a 13th game when NDSU could barely get 11.

LehighU11
October 1st, 2013, 05:47 PM
How do they get a 13th game when NDSU could barely get 11.

Because nobody in their right minds wants to play the Bison.

Decent FCS programs: near given loss. Unranked FBS programs: likely loss. Ranked FBS programs: possible "massive" upset.

Biff
October 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM

Go read up on Al Parish and what he did to Charleston Southern ... you may be a little more lenient on these guys in there effort to make money.

clenz
October 2nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
Fixed it for you xlolx

No school is worth that...none.

I pity the idiots that think it is

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Libertine
October 2nd, 2013, 10:14 AM
Go read up on Al Parish and what he did to Charleston Southern ... you may be a little more lenient on these guys in there effort to make money.

Quoted for truth.

rokamortis
October 2nd, 2013, 11:07 AM
Quoted for truth.

What he did was dastardly but it has been a number of years and hopefully they've been able to recover by now. If not then that is their own fault. They are putting money in athletics, like building a new field house. If they are truly cash poor then they should make the hard choices - like whether to keep football or not. Or whether to stay DI or not.

I think it is unfair to force the student athletes to play a 13 game schedule without a break just for money. Especially a season where they have an opportunity to really make their mark.

kdinva
October 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM

Really, CSU is about 8-9 years behind in their fundraising for athletics, thanks to this slob. If not for him, their FB facility today would have, I bet, at least 7500 seats, lights, nice brick concession stands and restrooms, a basketball facility w/ at least 3,000 seats, etc, etc......

http://baptistcourier.com/2007/04/charleston-southern-university-files-suit-against-parish-economics/

ImfromClayton
October 2nd, 2013, 05:30 PM
You guys QB alright?

Got my hotel and can't wait to make the short trip down the Charleston later this year!

PAllen
October 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
Alright, money game or not: "unfair to force the student athletes to play a 13 game schedule without a break" - seriously? These kids are playing football because they want to play games. It will be a great experience for them, and could be a highlight of their playing careers. I guess I'm just an outsider on this one, but as a player, I hated bye weeks. We would have played two games a week if we could have. It would have killed us physically, but we would have loved it. I say good for them and a great job by the AD for being proactive as I'm sure Charleston Southern made first contact on this one. They'll go and play a "big game", get some much needed cash, and lose the game. Two out of three are exactly what those players need before any successful playoff run. If the third keeps them out of the playoffs, then they weren't going to make a successful run anyway.

Pard4Life
October 2nd, 2013, 08:18 PM
This is so close to being a Patriot League hi-jack thread.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
Alright, money game or not: "unfair to force the student athletes to play a 13 game schedule without a break" - seriously? These kids are playing football because they want to play games. It will be a great experience for them, and could be a highlight of their playing careers. I guess I'm just an outsider on this one, but as a player, I hated bye weeks. We would have played two games a week if we could have. It would have killed us physically, but we would have loved it. I say good for them and a great job by the AD for being proactive as I'm sure Charleston Southern made first contact on this one. They'll go and play a "big game", get some much needed cash, and lose the game. Two out of three are exactly what those players need before any successful playoff run. If the third keeps them out of the playoffs, then they weren't going to make a successful run anyway.

You wonder though if the second string might be starting against North Greenville and Charlotte to make up for the loss of bye week.

Another aspect to this is how tough it is on the coaching staff. Two weeks to prepare for a Pac 12 team, after you were expecting a bye week? Never mind alumni, and any CSU fans that want to attend. They'll be no special travel deals to Boulder for those folks.

Sandlapper Spike
October 3rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
I don't think they are too worried about preparing for Colorado. This isn't a game they are trying to win. As long as they don't get beat by 100, no biggie.

rokamortis
October 3rd, 2013, 09:24 AM

I'm thinking long term success. CSU has a chance to make the playoffs this year. The extra week of rest to recover and plan I think would be invaluable. I really think this may hinder their success in the conference and to me is at the player's expense of no rest, playing an extra game, and traveling across the country for no reason other than the paycheck.

The truth is as a Coastal fan I should be all for it as I think it makes it more difficult for CSU to be successful in conference - but as a reasonable person I find it difficult to support since I think it will hinder their overall success after a great start to the season.

walliver
October 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
CSU needs to worry about getting past North Greenville first.

Realistically, to make the playoffs, CSU has to beat GWU and one of Liberty/CCU. With Shorter, Campbell and North Greenville on the schedule, it will be hard for them to get an at-large spot. When they enter the last 3 games, CCU, GWU, and LU, the bye week will be sorely missed.

Libertine
October 3rd, 2013, 12:40 PM
You wonder though if the second string might be starting against North Greenville and Charlotte to make up for the loss of bye week.

Another aspect to this is how tough it is on the coaching staff. Two weeks to prepare for a Pac 12 team, after you were expecting a bye week? Never mind alumni, and any CSU fans that want to attend. They'll be no special travel deals to Boulder for those folks.

OK, the second string comment is just dumb. NGU was in the national D2 semifinals two years ago and has already beaten another Big South program this year. Charlotte is young but has been recruiting for C-USA for two years and has also already beaten another Big South program this year.

Truthfully, the toughest aspect of this by far is that CSU's operations personnel has less than three weeks to secure a plane charter, meals and a hotel two time zones away with enough rooms and enough meeting space to meet the demands of an entire travel squad. I would hope they get some help from Colorado in a case like this but it's still an insane task and the onus will still be on CSU.

Also, having no bye week means no bye week recruiting for the coaches. That might hurt when they're trying to catch up in December.

Libertine
October 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Truthfully, the toughest aspect of this by far is that CSU's operations personnel has less than three weeks to secure a plane charter, meals and a hotel two time zones away with enough rooms and enough meeting space to meet the demands of an entire travel squad. I would hope they get some help from Colorado in a case like this but it's still an insane task and the onus will still be on CSU.

Apparently, Colorado is footing all the expenses plus giving CSU $400,000.

http://www.brushnewstribune.com/ci_24225663/cu-buffs-pay-average-rate-charleston-southern-game

"The University of Colorado will pay Charleston Southern $400,000 to play a
football game Oct. 19 that was recently scheduled after the Buffs' Sept. 14 game
against Fresno State was postponed because of flooding in and around Boulder.

The game contract between the schools, obtained through an open records
request, also calls for CU to pay for a charter flight to and from Denver
International Airport, bus transportation for the Buccaneers while they are in
Colorado, 60 hotel rooms at the Omni Hotel in Broomfield and meals."

Twentysix
October 3rd, 2013, 05:10 PM

http://www.brushnewstribune.com/ci_24225663/cu-buffs-pay-average-rate-charleston-southern-game

football game Oct. 19 that was recently scheduled after the Buffs' Sept. 14 game

that's a pretty standard deal isn't it?

citdog
October 3rd, 2013, 05:11 PM

pretty good deal

Lehigh Football Nation
October 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM

I'm not an expert but $400,000 and basically all expenses paid (incld. flight) seems pretty good. Not sure if all schools travelling to FBS school get that deal?

Sandlapper Spike
October 3rd, 2013, 05:29 PM
My guess is that normally the travelling school would have to make its own travel arrangements and would pay those expenses out of whatever lump sum it got from the hosting school.

In this case, Colorado covered those costs and did not include them in the guarantee, probably an acknowledgement of the difficulty of making arrangements less than a month in advance. It strikes me as a very solid deal.

Libertine
October 4th, 2013, 09:15 AM
My guess is that normally the travelling school would have to make its own travel arrangements and would pay those expenses out of whatever lump sum it got from the hosting school.

In this case, Colorado covered those costs and did not include them in the guarantee, probably an acknowledgement of the difficulty of making arrangements less than a month in advance. It strikes me as a very solid deal.

This is very accurate. $400K is about the going rate for the Big12 but all-expenses paid part is a serious cherry on top. A charter flight on a 737-size plane can run in the $75,000-$100,000 by itself depending on distance and fuel and probably more on such short notice. Hotel, food and buses can run another $20,000-$40,000 on top of that depending on market and quality.

Go...gate
October 4th, 2013, 04:03 PM

Sounds like a good deal.