PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh/Harvard Preview Up

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM
So... sleepy...

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

carney2
September 28th, 2006, 06:59 AM
LFN is predicting a Lehigh win. Normally, I'd laugh it off as a homer call, but after that Monmouth-Colgate pick last week, I'm thinking that we may finally have a Lehigh grad who knows something. Let's hope so. The Patsies need one like this.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Lehigh's best hope to win is to pass effectively and to hold Harvard under 30 points. When the Crimson score 30 or more, their record is mind-boggling. Like five losses ever. Harvard will want some revenge for last year's blowout loss.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Hey Ivytalk, how's Ivytalk, Steinmetz, Schlump and Goldstein doing? xlolx

What is your impression of Irvin at QB? What little I've heard is that he's a pocket passer with a really good arm. He was last year's opening-day starter, but obviously fell behind O'Hagan (suspended), Pizzotti (hurt), and Witt (presumably hurt) on the opening-day depth chart? If Irvin goes down, listed on your depth chart is a true frosh.

If Lehigh loses this game the whole PL will be: :bawling:

carney2
September 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Maybe so, but methinx the shock value has worn off since Albany over Lehigh, Columbia blowing out Fordham, and Monmouth over Colgate. We're still supportive, but our 2006 expectations have been greatly diminished.

Ivytalk
September 28th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hey Ivytalk, how's Ivytalk, Steinmetz, Schlump and Goldstein doing? xlolx

What is your impression of Irvin at QB? What little I've heard is that he's a pocket passer with a really good arm. He was last year's opening-day starter, but obviously fell behind O'Hagan (suspended), Pizzotti (hurt), and Witt (presumably hurt) on the opening-day depth chart? If Irvin goes down, listed on your depth chart is a true frosh.

Ivytalk, Steinmetz is doing fine. We're still trying to get reimbursement from those cheap bastahdz at Idle U for its share of the UNI radio spot that never ran!

Irvin is the Tulane transfer. His arm is good but he's not as mobile as some of the others. I hadn't heard anything about Witt being hurt. If it's true, that's bad news. Other than the ongoing issue of QB health, my chief concerns about Harvard are pass defense and special teams. Schindel is an erratic FG kicker and missed a couple of chip shots last week. We can stuff the run pretty well. I'm looking forward to meeting ngineer on Saturday!

Pard4Life
September 28th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Nice preview LFN, I remember laughing at your picks but they were all correct... crikey... I guess my only predictabilty skills lie in HS football and hockey. :rolleyes:

But I am still skeptical with that score. Dawson is a machine...

Lehigh Football Nation
September 28th, 2006, 02:03 PM
I'm hoping we catch a break with Irvin as the QB (Tulane transfer), the third QB starter in three games for the Crimson. I think if O'Hagan were the QB I'd be more pessimistic.

Harvard Worship
September 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I hadn't heard anything about Witt being hurt. If it's true, that's bad news. Other than the ongoing issue of QB health, my chief concerns about Harvard are pass defense and special teams. Schindel is an erratic FG kicker and missed a couple of chip shots last week. We can stuff the run pretty well. I'm looking forward to meeting ngineer on Saturday!

Witt is out. The athletic dept. announced that Irvin would get the start yesterday. Bummer.
I've been really impressed with Harvard's depth at QB. Pizzotti looked great & Witt was pretty impressive too. And don't get too excited, Lehigh fans, because Irvin has 1 start at Harvard & 4 at Tulane under his belt. Pretty good for a 4th-stringer. He also has a chip on his shoulder after Murphy put him on the bottom of the QB barrel after he was expected to be the starter last year.
I'm really looking forward to this game. I think LFN has more clout than me, but I have to disagree with the prognostication-- I'm predicting a Harvard win. We don't like losing to Lehigh all the time (4 times in a row since 1997? Yeesh), and i think Dawson's healthy enough to do something about it.
Ivytalk: Schindel can get 50% on field goals & still be remembered as the best Harvard kicker in years. Remember who we had kicking before him? Choco-Taco Morocco, anyone?

ngineer
September 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I think Lehigh, as it has in the past,will come up with a defensive scheme to shutdown/slowdown Dawson. Held down last year (yes I know he was dinged up), but I think we'll focus on Dawson and dare Harvard to beat us with their QB. I agree that if it becomes a 'track meet' we're in trouble. I do think we should be able to move the ball through the air, so I'd expect some sprint out/roll out with Threatt given the option to run. Harvard's upfront run D is very tough.
Forecast looks very good. Sunny and mid-60's. With Volunteer Day, should be a good crowd.
If the Lehigh of the second half of Villanova or first half of Princeton shows up, the Mountain Hawks will prevail. 24-17.

Ivytalk
September 29th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Witt is out. The athletic dept. announced that Irvin would get the start yesterday. Bummer.
I've been really impressed with Harvard's depth at QB. Pizzotti looked great & Witt was pretty impressive too. And don't get too excited, Lehigh fans, because Irvin has 1 start at Harvard & 4 at Tulane under his belt. Pretty good for a 4th-stringer. He also has a chip on his shoulder after Murphy put him on the bottom of the QB barrel after he was expected to be the starter last year.
I'm really looking forward to this game. I think LFN has more clout than me, but I have to disagree with the prognostication-- I'm predicting a Harvard win. We don't like losing to Lehigh all the time (4 times in a row since 1997? Yeesh), and i think Dawson's healthy enough to do something about it.
Ivytalk: Schindel can get 50% on field goals & still be remembered as the best Harvard kicker in years. Remember who we had kicking before him? Choco-Taco Morocco, anyone?

Hell, I'm old enough to remember Alky Tsitsos and Mike Lynch!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
And don't get too excited, Lehigh fans, because Irvin has 1 start at Harvard & 4 at Tulane under his belt. Pretty good for a 4th-stringer. He also has a chip on his shoulder after Murphy put him on the bottom of the QB barrel after he was expected to be the starter last year.
I'm really looking forward to this game. I think LFN has more clout than me...

http://www.adequatulence.com/hartman/vault/pictures/mcmahon.jpg

I think you overestimate my clout Sir! Yes!

(This is, of course, after my one good call of the year (Monmouth over Colgate)... I only shudder how I'd be viewed had I had the guts to stick with my CCSU over Georgia Southern pick... but I digress...)

Yeah, I know Irvin is not your prototypical 4th string QB, you're right. However, if he were to be ineffective or (hopefully not) go down with an injury, you'd have a true frosh back there, which has to heap on even more pressure for Irvin to do well.

In Harvard's first two games, your QBs did a fantastic job distributing the ball to different receivers while letting Dawson "do his thing". Lehigh's D has been historically stingy against the run, and I'm banking on the fact that they will return to their stingy run defense this week.