PDA

View Full Version : OVC, Week 5 Recap; Week 6 Preview

Skyhawk71
September 29th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Eastern Illinois 42 Eastern Kentucky 7 EIU 1-0, 4-1 EKU 0-1, 2-3
Eastern Illinois scored points, and everyone knew they would, but many expected this to be a back and forth, EIU is just that good, and apparently does have the defense to dominate the OVC

Tennessee-Martin 17 Southeast Missouri 7 UTM 1-0, 3-1 SEMO 0-1, 0-4
If the UTM team from the second half shows up again this season, it will be a long day for the Skyhawks, not taking anything away from SEMO in the second half but turnovers, and incomplete passes, against any of the upper tier of the conference this would have been a loss

Murray State 35 Jacksonville State 34 (OT) MSU 1-0, 3-2 JSU 0-1, 4-1
Looked to be a good game and many thought that it would be, I will let the JSU guys do the input on this one- I had JSU winning in a close one, and now we do know that Murray may be in the mix with their offense

Tennessee Tech 38 Indiana State 37 TTU 0-1, 3-2 MVFC now 1-4 against the Ohio Valley
Tech drove the ball for the win, had big lead, blew big lead- won game, TTU needed this one, and may now pick up momentum-

Tennessee State 73 Central State (DII) 6 TSU 1-0, 4-1
TSU rolled in the Gateway Classic

Week 6: SEMO @ TSU, APSU @ EKU, TTU @ MSU, JSU @ UTM- EIU bye week

Cocky
September 29th, 2013, 10:18 AM
JSU had over 600 yards offense but drop a couple of TD catches, fumble a ball into Murrays endzone and missed two FGs. Miller is a good QB for Murray and they made the plays when needed. In my opinion neither is a threat to be in the top two.

EIUFan
September 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
EIU's defense is improved over last year which isn't saying much, but needs to get better for the Panthers to make a playoff run. EKU didn't look like a very good football team yesterday.

EKU Toss Sweep
September 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM
EIU's defense is improved over last year which isn't saying much, but needs to get better for the Panthers to make a playoff run. EKU didn't look like a very good football team yesterday.

I would agree that EIU's defense is improved from last year, but not sure it can be judged on yesterday's game. I hate to say it, but this EKU team lacks an identity and seems to lack a heart. After getting a quick 3 and out from EIU to start the game the Colonels drive the ball down the field before throwing a bad pick on a pass behind the receiver. EIU answers quickly by going down the field for a TD as that offense is built to do. Then to open the next drive JJ Jude breaks a long run for EKU, is stripped from behind and fumbles. Jude hits the bench, EIU goes right down the field to score again and the game is over. Not even a pulse from the Colonels the rest of the day.

This EIU team may well roll through the OVC based on the offense alone. I hope the defense continues to improve along the way.

TTUEagles
September 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM
TTU finally got it's top RB back for his first game of the year. Scored 2 TD's, then suffered a fractured leg - out for the season. TTU scored on a blocked FG returned for at TD, blocked 2 other FG attempts and ISU threw 3 picks. I didn't see the game, but this is how it was written up... TTU's QB received a concussion and now a lot of people are calling for the #2 to be the full-time starter as he is a much better pure passer. If they can fix the defense at all, they'll have a shot @ Murray.

dgtw
September 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM
JSU had over 600 yards offense but drop a couple of TD catches, fumble a ball into Murrays endzone and missed two FGs. Miller is a good QB for Murray and they made the plays when needed. In my opinion neither is a threat to be in the top two.

Piddling around at the end of regulation to go for the field goal instead of taking a shot at the end zone didn't help. Murray missing that field goal probably killed us in the long run as we could play for the tie.

And letting them convert on 4th and 10 in OT sealed the deal.

Cocky
September 29th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Piddling around at the end of regulation to go for the field goal instead of taking a shot at the end zone didn't help. Murray missing that field goal probably killed us in the long run as we could play for the tie.

And letting them convert on 4th and 10 in OT sealed the deal.

Didnt have an issue with kicking the FG. Very little time left and only one TO. Risk wasnt worth the reward.

DrStrangelove
September 29th, 2013, 08:33 PM
If there was ever a team that was "one play away" from victory, it was JSU against Murray Saturday. Turnovers, dropped passes, dropped interceptions, you name it. The offense did more than enough to win the game and the defense made some key adjustments at halftime. But the Gamecocks couldn't get it done. Hats off to the Racers and especially Chris Hatcher for having the stones to go for two in OT. Both teams fought to the end and Murray came out on top. The Racers had my respect going in, and they've got even more now.

My original view on JSU has not not changed: the pieces are there for this to be a very good football team, the Gamecocks have just not put them together yet.

Skyhawk71
October 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
OVC Game of the Week: Jacksonville State (4-1) at Tennessee-Martin (3-1) 2:00 p.m. (CST) Hardy M. Graham Stadium (ESPN 3)

Jacksonville State leads all time series 27-7, and 4-3 in the Simpson Era; last two games: 2011 UTM 23 @ JSU 24; 2012 JSU 47 @ UTM 49;

UTM faithful are always fired up for the JSU game, it has been a measuring stick for the program dating back to the Gulf South days, if the weather holds out, there should be a great crowd on Saturday

* Note OVC game of the week per OVC, not Skyhawk71

eiu1999
October 1st, 2013, 07:36 PM
EIU had two more field goals blocked.

Skyhawk71
October 2nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
OVC Power Rankings: http://ovcball.net/2013/10/week-six-power-rankings/