PDA

View Full Version : Socon power rankings going into week 6

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Wofford-lost to a good Gardner Webb team last week, but as of now has the best socon record. Had the bye and has the benefit of the doubt if anything. They should be favored in their next 3 games
GSU-beat a good Chatty team tonight. They look to get past Samford next week and have the tough part of their Socon schedule behind them early
Chatty-still can't pull a win in a big game
Samford-They have a great offensive attack, I think their defense is suspect though
Furman-after a slow start, they're slowly but surely rallying. They could make the playoffs but they have to play above the level of their competition, as they haven't done that yet this season.
Citadel- They're a good team that could rally, but their offense is not productive enough against decent defenses.
App State-They just aren't good this year. They have nothing to stand on other than beating a terrible Elon team.
Elon-terrible defense, so-so offense. All double digit losses to D1 opponents, no D1 wins
Western-same as Elon, except Elon one win was by double digits as opposed to a 7 point victory.

Furman over Elon
Wofford over PC
Citadel over App State
GSU over Samford
Chattanooga over Western

longtimemocfan
September 28th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Chatty-still can't pull a win in a big game

Furman over Elon
Wofford over PC
Citadel over App State
GSU over Samford
Chattanooga over Western

Yes, can't agree more. Close get's you nowhere.

SU DOG
September 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM
I am concerned because our defense is not playing up to their potential. There is a lots of talent there, and I am hoping that they will gel. I can tell you one thing for sure, however, if Andy Summerlin stays in the zone he is presently in, there is NOT a SoCon Team out there that can defend Samford's passing attack. Next week's game at Seibert against GSU is certainly huge, and some questions will be answered.

SpeedkingATL
September 28th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I am concerned because our defense is not playing up to their potential. There is a lots of talent there, and I am hoping that they will gel. I can tell you one thing for sure, however, if Andy Summerlin stays in the zone he is presently in, there is NOT a SoCon Team out there that can defend Samford's passing attack. Next week's game at Seibert against GSU is certainly huge, and some questions will be answered.
I always felt Sammy played too vanilla on offense and didn't always take advantage of their offensive talents. This year it looks like the offense is really opened up and made the Dogs much more interesting to watch and dangerous.

PaladinFan
September 28th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Furman played a man's game today.

I do fear we've suffered too many injuries. Paladins had the third or fourth stringer running plays in the second half. He was not supposed to be anywhere near the depth chart this season.

have to respect the paladins ability to shut down the run, though. Top rushing defense coming into today, and held the citadel to 132 on the ground on the road.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Don't think we are playing well enough to beat Samford in Birmingham. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if tonight's game had been at Chattanooga we would have lost by 10.

Don't like the way we match up against Samford, specifically their accurate passing game with a back like Fabian Truss. Fabian Truss and Sean Price are the two SoCon players I have been dreading facing more than any others.

On top of that, I'm not sure the McKinnon/Swope duo will be at 100% for this game.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 28th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I was 5-2 this past week. Appalachian State manages to lose yet again while The Citadel was not able to put away Furman. Georgia Southern and Chattanooga lived up to its billing. Here is where I have it after this week.

1) Wofford - Two conference wins is hard to overlook.
2) Georgia Southern (ineligible) - Holds off Mocs in epic showdown
3) Samford - in a strong position to get an at-large bid
4) Chattanooga - tough loss against the real GSU
5) Furman - pulls off shocker against The Citadel
6) Appalachian State - Satterfield better find a way to win some games or he will be forced to find a new job.
7) The Citadel - last year's Cinderella is in trouble.
8) Elon - gets hammered by Coastal Carolina
9) Western Carolina - gets hammered by Samford
Mercer - picks up first conference win vs. Drake
VMI - finds a way to lose against Robert Morris
ETSU - pulls a two-fer (women's soccer/volleyball) against USC-Upstate

Predictions
Elon @ Furman - Paladins gets some momentum going
Presbyterian @ Wofford - Terriers roll against the Blue Hose
Georgia Southern @ Samford (Game of the week) - Bulldogs pick off Eagles
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga - Mocs take out frustrations against Catamounts
Appalachian State @ The Citadel - Mountaineers get revenge against The Citadel (they better).
Mercer @ San Diego - Bears look to add another win to their conference schedule
VMI - off this week
ETSU - Is it 2015 yet?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 28th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Correction. Swope is out for the year. FFS we are really have the injury bug this year.

Reign of Terrier
September 28th, 2013, 11:48 PM
What's swope injury exactly? that is huge.

Also, Samford's offense looks impressive, but let's remember that it was Western Carolina that they played at home today...

walliver
September 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Correction. Swope is out for the year. FFS we are really have the injury bug this year.

Does he have a shot at at a medical red-shirt?

Apphole
September 29th, 2013, 12:04 AM
1. The Big South
2. The MEAC
3. The SoCon
4. App State
5. Elon

walliver
September 29th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Rankings:
1) Samford - won today by more than I expected
2) Wofford - hopefully bye week helped
3) GSU - I don't quite buy into the woe is me line, this is still a decent team
4) Chatty - Huesman and son can't quite get over the hump
5) Furman - two wins moves them up but still second tier
6) Citadel - was last weeks 58 points a fluke?
7) App State - I had earlier thought this team would come together after a few games, I was wrong.
8) Elon - still better than VMI
9) WCU - score looked like an old WCU score

Mercer - still undefeated and would probably come in between App and Elon in my poll
VMI - makes Elon and WCU look like contenders
ETSU - hanging out waiting

This week:
Elon at Furman: Purple Pukes win by 17
Presbyterian at Wofford: The Big Dogs haven't gelled yet, but will run vanilla offense for a 10 point win.
Georgia Southern at Samford: This game is a toss-up to me, but I'll give the edge to the home team 38-35
Western at Chatty: The Indian footware crowd has racked up the points against lesser competition this year and it continues next weekend 56-21
App at Citadel - both teams are remarkably underperforming this year. App has more talent, but the bullpups squeeze out a tight win 31-28

Mercer at San Diego - Bobby Lamb's team will probably not finish last in the SoCon next year, and keep their decades long winning streak alive a little longer 35-24
VMI will find a way to lose their bye week
ETSU - has pencilled in VMI for homecoming in 2016

seantaylor
September 29th, 2013, 01:02 AM
GSU will beat Samford, and it will be by double digits. Saw some very promising things tonight going forward.

catamount man
September 29th, 2013, 06:21 AM
1) Wofford
2) Georgia Southern
3) Samford
4) UTC
5) Furman
6) Citadel
7) App
8) Elon
9) WCU (Mark Speir is being called "Forrest Gump" by some WCU loyalists at the CATAMOUNT PRIDE board. Ouch!)

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Does he have a shot at at a medical red-shirt?

Swope has probably played in to many games to get the waiver.

Skjellyfetti
September 29th, 2013, 08:15 AM

I believe he has

The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.

CID1990
September 29th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Samford is far and away the best team in the SoCon. Nobody else is close. If they don't win the SoCon outright it is because they beat themselves.

GATA_Eagles
September 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Swope has only played against Savannah State and Wofford. He had surgery on Friday and I believe he will receive the red shirt

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 29th, 2013, 08:33 AM
UTC and Wofford could both beat Samford.

Eagle22
September 29th, 2013, 08:43 AM

As mentioned by others, Swope had only played in two games so far this season. He is potentially eligible for a medical redshirt down the line if he were to be injured again (and meet that criteria), but this year it will end up being his redshirt year.

dystopiamembrane
September 29th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Rankings:
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Samford
4. Chattanooga
5. Furman
6. The Citadel
7. Appalachian State
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Predictions:
Furman 31-19 Elon
Wofford 33-6 Presbyterian
The Citadel 31-28 Appalachian State
Samford 34-35 Georgia Southern
Chattanooga 38-16 Western Carolina

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
1. The Big South
2. The MEAC
3. The SoCon
4. App State
5. Elon

I hate to say it but you guys are in for a rough season. You had 16 starters back from an 8 win team who should have gone 10-2 or 9-3 this year and now it looks like you will only win 4 games, at best. I could see you only winning 2-3. The crazy thing for App is that this has nothing to do with the FBS move.

Satterfield keeps saying App is young but the only freshmen playing for App are studs like John Law, Marcus Cox, Walton, etc. who are playing well and doing what they should. Most of the disappointment is coming from seniors (Jackson), juniors, and sophomores who played mostly last year. There has to be much more going on than people are seeing. CSU and NCAT are better but my question to Satterfield would be how many of their players were offered by App out of HS?

The previous success seems to not be capitalized on right now and instead of maintaining or improving App is decreasing. Your line play on both sides is the key. My advice to Satterfield would be to start Parker Collins full time, put Acey as a reserve, and stop the two QB system- start Kameron Bryant. Unfortunately there is no quick fix on the DL right now but I did look at your commitments and if you keep them you have 2-3 really good ones coming in. Bronson and Burns should be backups but have to start. #2 flashes on tape but not as good as he should be. Having Blair out hurts. Him coming back will help but still not fix it. I would not say the sky is completely falling because App could win some games on the schedule but things aren't good right now. You should put WCU behind you as well. Furman is beat up and not very talented right now so you should beat them. That's two wins. Citadel is a toss up to me. That game will solely be up to if the players and coaches respond. Either way you guys still have a ton of talent at WR, RB, two very good young QBs, and some athletes at LB and DB who could be very good down the line. Problem for you guys is the last year or recruiting from Elliott, McClain's class, and the first one after he left has not produced but one good one from that entire group (Kendall Lamm). DL has taken a step back and that's something that has to be fixed. App needs 2 good DT commitments this year unless they have a good one being redshirted.

I have never seen App outcoached like they were yesterday. Hopefully Satterfield gets it together. I was never high on him being your head coach this early- thought he needed more seasoning because I know his personality. I see App fans saying Moore should have never been let go. It was time he went. It was getting like Paterno and Bowden late in their careers. Change was needed. I just have a feeling that the choice for head coach was not the right one and that Satterfield needed 4-6 more years of seasoning in the SEC or a major league as a coordinator and assistant head coach before being given such as high profile job. I feel bad for you guys right now but most in FCS won't because you have had so much success. Things won't get better the next two years immediately. It's going to take 2 good recruiting classes on the OL and DL to really build that solid base so that being so thin on the lines won't be a problem.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 29th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Georgia Southern is getting a lot of credit based on history. This Eagle team is seriously banged up. Ironically, most of the injuries occurred in practice and have been aggravated in the first 4 games. Samford is a big, physical football team that will probably dominate the LOS as Truss pounds for big yards and Summerlin keeps the Eagle D off balance with effective passes exploiting the zone coverage.

Hopefully, the Eagle O can be productive and keep it close enough to have a chance to win late, but the edge goes to Samford.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Georgia Southern is getting a lot of credit based on history. This Eagle team is seriously banged up. Ironically, most of the injuries occurred in practice and have been aggravated in the first 4 games. Samford is a big, physical football team that will probably dominate the LOS as Truss pounds for big yards and Summerlin keeps the Eagle D off balance with effective passes exploiting the zone coverage.

Hopefully, the Eagle O can be productive and keep it close enough to have a chance to win late, but the edge goes to Samford.

I'm seeing that. Certainly looks like injuries are killing GSU and coaching/lack of talent on the OL and DL are killing App. This turns out to be the year Chattanooga should have taken the step up as the best in the league and now it appears the league may go to Wofford or Samford, unless GSU's youth and depth step up and give you guys that spark you need right now.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Just realized that after week 5 three SoCon teams have multiple wins. Incredible.

As far as App goes, I would love to laugh at them but I just can't help but picture Sean Price running circles around our secondary and our loss up there looking especially bad.

Apphole
September 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
As far as App goes, I would love to laugh at them but I just can't help but picture Sean Price running circles around our secondary and our loss up there looking especially bad.

We do have incredible athletes, but Monken will have little trouble outcoaching Satterfield.

ASU_Fanatic
September 29th, 2013, 11:06 AM
We do have incredible athletes, but Monken will have little trouble outcoaching Satterfield.
I'm just curious do you really think Satterfield deserves all the blame from yesterday? I feel like he has most the control of the offense while the defense is Woody's responsibility. Our offense was good yesterday, we scored 1.33 points per minute. Had we had the ball 30 minutes if we would have continued to score at that rate we would have scored 40 points. Satterfield just looked really bad at clock management, other than that the offense was fine. The defense is why we lost yesterday, and I think Woody deserves most of the blame for that.

kdinva
September 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Predictions:
Furman 27, Elon13
Wofford 37, Presbyterian 13
Appalachian State 24, The Citadel 22
Georgia Southern 27, Samford 24
UT-C 41, Western Carolina 24

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Rankings:
1. Georgia Southern
2. Wofford
3. Samford
4. Chattanooga
5. Furman
6. The Citadel
7. Appalachian State
8. Western Carolina
9. Elon

Predictions:
Furman 31-19 Elon
Wofford 33-6 Presbyterian
The Citadel 31-28 Appalachian State
Samford 34-35 Georgia Southern
Chattanooga 38-16 Western Carolina

Wofford beat GSU a couple weeks ago bro.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Also, reiteration that Woody was/is not necessarily all he was cracked up to be. Our defense, discarding Baylor, is playing at roughly the same levels so far as last year (knock on Wood), whereas App is clearly struggling.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I'm just curious do you really think Satterfield deserves all the blame from yesterday? I feel like he has most the control of the offense while the defense is Woody's responsibility. Our offense was good yesterday, we scored 1.33 points per minute. Had we had the ball 30 minutes if we would have continued to score at that rate we would have scored 40 points. Satterfield just looked really bad at clock management, other than that the offense was fine. The defense is why we lost yesterday, and I think Woody deserves most of the blame for that.

I can tell you right now there are some things you should blame Satterfield 100% for and some you can't.

You can blame on him lack of nerves, poor decision making/clock management, and failing to make the choice to go with Kam Bryant instead of a two QB system that doesn't work with their offense when one of the QBs isn't mobile right now. Jackson is not healthy physically or mentally in that he isn't running like he should.

Things you can't blame on Scott are that right now the only two OL left from the last two years of Elliott and the McClain groups are Lamm and Fisher. App has some good young OL right now but when moving up to FBS your talented OL can't be all freshmen. I think things could be very good App in two years because of the young recruits and the talent at the skill positions. The other you can't blame on him are the defense because he is taking most of his time with the offense and trusting Woody.

App will likely go one of two ways in the extreme but they depend solely on if Satterfield is able to make the decisions and handle the pressure of this job. He either handles it and matures in the next year and in 2015 App is a serious SBC contender and makes a bowl or he doesn't and App sees a lot of turmoil and alumni wanting him out of the job at the end of the 2014 season. Can App money boosters handle winning just 3 or 4 games this year and then 1 or 2 next year? Some will say that you have to give him time moving up to FBS but you can't blame FBS on this year. They play a FCS schedule with the 3rd best team in the Big South, 2nd best in the MEAC, and a SoCon schedule on tap. The only games I didn't think App could win coming in to this year was Montana and Georgia. GSU is a league game and is always winnable while the rest of the SoCon is not elite and thus none of the others looked like a game they could not win. CSU and A&T should have been close (10-14 points) but still no excuse to lose to either of them. How the players respond and how Scott grows as a HC in the next 3-5 weeks will determine how they are defined this year and what Scott does in the off-season will fully determine how they do next year, which could get ugly when you consider the upgrade in level of competition compared to this year.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Also, reiteration that Woody was/is not necessarily all he was cracked up to be. Our defense, discarding Baylor, is playing at roughly the same levels so far as last year (knock on Wood), whereas App is clearly struggling.

I think many times there is a program where the leader is clearly the one making it all happen. Ayers is the man in Wofford. Woody is a good coach but it is looking possibly like he was given a blueprint from Ayers and went by it, thus looking good. Just like in New England where I can tell you 100% that Bellicheck is the decision maker and thus anyone coming out of personnel up there doesn't do as well at their promotions elsewhere. When they go to struggling franchises because the system and groundwork laid in most struggling NFL teams is not near what they have in NE. It happens many times. Same thing is happening in South Carolina. Spurrier is the one controlling most everything. Some of his assistants are going to be over valued because of him. Everywhere he goes he wins, and has never had the same staff everywhere he goes.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2013, 11:58 AM
I think many times there is a program where the leader is clearly the one making it all happen. Ayers is the man in Wofford. Woody is a good coach but it is looking possibly like he was given a blueprint from Ayers and went by it, thus looking good. Just like in New England where I can tell you 100% that Bellicheck is the decision maker and thus anyone coming out of personnel up there doesn't do as well at their promotions elsewhere when they go to struggling franchises because the system and groundwork laid in most struggling NFL teams is not near what they have in NE. It happens many times. Same thing is happening in South Carolina. Spurrier is the one controlling most everything. Some of his assistants are going to be over valued because of him. Everywhere he goes he wins, and has never had the same staff everywhere he goes.

I wouldn't disagree, but at the same time I would also emphasize that a good bit of Wofford's success in general has to do with consistency at the coaching position. Most (or at least half) of our coaches have been playing and then coaching at Wofford for the last 10 years +. That builds chemistry if anything.

smallcollegefbfan
September 29th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't disagree, but at the same time I would also emphasize that a good bit of Wofford's success in general has to do with consistency at the coaching position. Most (or at least half) of our coaches have been playing and then coaching at Wofford for the last 10 years +. That builds chemistry if anything.

Big time and that's because of the system Ayers has in place. You know some of them have had offers and turned them down. They are smart coaches. Instead of going into something they aren't ready for they are keeping job security and knowing they will win every year. They have a great head coach to work for and a great system. Maybe some of them know that if they went to the SEC or ACC they would be out in a year or two easily because of pressure to win and they know they aren't going anywhere until Ayers retires.

Reign of Terrier
September 29th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Big time and that's because of the system Ayers has in place. You know some of them have had offers and turned them down. They are smart coaches. Instead of going into something they aren't ready for they are keeping job security and knowing they will win every year. They have a great head coach to work for and a great system. Maybe some of them know that if they went to the SEC or ACC they would be out in a year or two easily because of pressure to win and they know they aren't going anywhere until Ayers retires.

Really one could say they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Wade Lang (the OC) is likely going to be Ayers's successor. A theory going around as to why Woody left was because of that. He's getting older and he's going to want a head coaching job soon.

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I hate to say it but you guys are in for a rough season. You had 16 starters back from an 8 win team who should have gone 10-2 or 9-3 this year and now it looks like you will only win 4 games, at best. I could see you only winning 2-3. The crazy thing for App is that this has nothing to do with the FBS move.

Satterfield keeps saying App is young but the only freshmen playing for App are studs like John Law, Marcus Cox, Walton, etc. who are playing well and doing what they should. Most of the disappointment is coming from seniors (Jackson), juniors, and sophomores who played mostly last year. There has to be much more going on than people are seeing. CSU and NCAT are better but my question to Satterfield would be how many of their players were offered by App out of HS?

The previous success seems to not be capitalized on right now and instead of maintaining or improving App is decreasing. Your line play on both sides is the key. My advice to Satterfield would be to start Parker Collins full time, put Acey as a reserve, and stop the two QB system- start Kameron Bryant. Unfortunately there is no quick fix on the DL right now but I did look at your commitments and if you keep them you have 2-3 really good ones coming in. Bronson and Burns should be backups but have to start. #2 flashes on tape but not as good as he should be. Having Blair out hurts. Him coming back will help but still not fix it. I would not say the sky is completely falling because App could win some games on the schedule but things aren't good right now. You should put WCU behind you as well. Furman is beat up and not very talented right now so you should beat them. That's two wins. Citadel is a toss up to me. That game will solely be up to if the players and coaches respond. Either way you guys still have a ton of talent at WR, RB, two very good young QBs, and some athletes at LB and DB who could be very good down the line. Problem for you guys is the last year or recruiting from Elliott, McClain's class, and the first one after he left has not produced but one good one from that entire group (Kendall Lamm). DL has taken a step back and that's something that has to be fixed. App needs 2 good DT commitments this year unless they have a good one being redshirted.

I have never seen App outcoached like they were yesterday. Hopefully Satterfield gets it together. I was never high on him being your head coach this early- thought he needed more seasoning because I know his personality. I see App fans saying Moore should have never been let go. It was time he went. It was getting like Paterno and Bowden late in their careers. Change was needed. I just have a feeling that the choice for head coach was not the right one and that Satterfield needed 4-6 more years of seasoning in the SEC or a major league as a coordinator and assistant head coach before being given such as high profile job. I feel bad for you guys right now but most in FCS won't because you have had so much success. Things won't get better the next two years immediately. It's going to take 2 good recruiting classes on the OL and DL to really build that solid base so that being so thin on the lines won't be a problem.

Why are you pretending you aren't an App State fan?

chattownmocs
September 29th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Samford is far and away the best team in the SoCon. Nobody else is close. If they don't win the SoCon outright it is because they beat themselves.

They got shelled by a small southeastern Louisiana team. Their late comeback was against a defense in a shell. Just like App States great comeback against NC AT. Get real.

ElCid
September 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
1) Wofford - Sitting pretty.
2) Samford - Looking strong and confident.
3) Georgia Southern (not a real player) - regardless of what the Eagle faithful think, I think there is some lack of incentive. Plus they are hurt apparently.
4) Chattanooga - They are good, but not getting it done when needed.
5) Furman - They knew what they had to do, they knew how to do it, and they did it.
6) Appalachian State (not a real player) - I really want to think our early loss to Chas So is looking better now, but I know better, App St is a just a bit off
7) The Citadel - Serious issues. Absolutely no fire. Both offense and defense have moments of brilliance but can't ever sustain it. Questionable play calling does not help. I could not tell what kind of offense we were running on Saturday. I think it is called "the broken play, let's see what happens."
8) Elon - They move up a slot because they did not get blasted as bad as Western.
9) Western Carolina - Ouch!

Predictions
Elon @ Furman - Elon fights back, to no avail - 28-24
Presbyterian @ Wofford - Wofford will fire on all cylinders after a week off to even the series with PC at 40-40-3 - 38-17
Appalachian State @ The Citadel - App already won the NC A&T losers bracket against Elon. It will win the Chas So. losers bracket as well. Dogs are finished - 35-27
Georgia Southern @ Samford - Samford takes it at home in a close one - 35-31
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga - Woe is Western, Chatty needs a win - 45-10

PaladinFan
September 29th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Big week for Furman. I think the Paladins are more talented than Elon, but that hasn't meant much in this game in the past.

The Citadel win was a big one for Coach Fowler and his staff. Going on the road and getting a W in Charleston is never easy for Furman, and particularly to play as well as they did was a testament to the team and the coaches. That win won't matter much if Furman can't dispose of Elon, though.

The Citadel was a swing game for Furman. A game they lost last season and won this year. To really contend, Furman has to continue to pick up their 2012 wins against Elon and Western. Take care of Elon and then get ready for the meat of the schedule.

The Cats
September 29th, 2013, 06:53 PM
3) Samford
1) Wofford
2) Georgia Southern (ineligible)
4) Chattanooga
5) Furman
7) The Citadel
6) Appalachian State - (ineligible)
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

Predictions
Elon @ FurmanGeorgia Southern @ Samford
Western Carolina @ Chattanooga
Appalachian State @ The Citadel
Wofford at Presbyterian

Mercer @ San Diego
VMI - off this week

Eaglesrus
September 29th, 2013, 07:52 PM
What's swope injury exactly? that is huge.

Also, Samford's offense looks impressive, but let's remember that it was Western Carolina that they played at home today...

All I've heard is that Swope had to have surgery on his shoulder in the off-season and had another surgery on it Friday. He has never redshirted, and has only appeared in two games this year, so I would hope that he'll qualify for a redshirt.

thirdgendin
September 29th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Why are you pretending you aren't an App State fan?

Chattownmocs and I are in agreement!

SC-T-Dogg
September 29th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Really one could say they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Wade Lang (the OC) is likely going to be Ayers's successor. A theory going around as to why Woody left was because of that. He's getting older and he's going to want a head coaching job soon.

Oh my gosh I hope hope Wade Lang is never our head coach. That made me throw up in my mouth! When Mike hangs it up, we need quality, character and leadership. Not somebody who is where he is because of system or their boss! He could NEVER fill those shoes, but in all honesty who could?

seantaylor
September 30th, 2013, 12:20 AM

Just like Chatty would blow out GSU in Paulson, huh? Cliff, you need to call Bill W

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2013, 07:07 AM
My take:

1) Georgia Southern 3-1 (1-1) - Have taken care of business at Paulson. Nice win this weekend. First big road test this weekend.
2) Samford 2-2 (1-1) - Had a headscratching OOC loss (but who hasn't?), and rebounded nicely to drub WCU.
3) Wofford 2-2 (2-0) - Best overall win of the year against GSU, but still had a bizarre no show against Gardner Webb.
4) Chattanooga 2-2 (0-1) - Plenty of talent, but starting to look like they are a paper tiger. Again.
5) Furman 2-2 (1-0) - Picked up a big road win in Charleston. Losses are to two top 25 teams on the road by 7. Might sneak up on some teams.
6) The Citadel 1-4 (1-2) - Put up or shutup time this weekend against App.
7) App State 1-3 (1-0) - Huge game this weekend they badly need to win.
8) Elon 1-4 (0-1) - Really need to capitalize against Furman this weekend. Things won't get easier.
9) WCU 1-4 (0-2) - Has had some moments this season, but things are not looking great going forward.

Elon @ Furman
PC @ Wofford
App State @ The Citadel
GSU @ Samford
WCU @ UTC

Home team special.

smallcollegefbfan
September 30th, 2013, 07:27 AM

That probably had a little to do with it but money does as well. I know GSU and App have a lot more money so they can pay more than the rest of the SoCon right now. I figured Lang was the successor and I'm sure that had to be part of it as well.

smallcollegefbfan
September 30th, 2013, 07:30 AM
They got shelled by a small southeastern Louisiana team. Their late comeback was against a defense in a shell. Just like App States great comeback against NC AT. Get real.

App would have beaten A&T had Kameron Bryant been put in earlier. One thing it seems App people are upset with is that Scott won't pick a QB and that game clearly showed that Bryant can not only play well but dig App out of a hole.

I don't think anyone can claim to be the best in the SoCon for sure right now. I think we need the next three weeks to play out. I still think Wofford or Samford will win it but we have a ways to go still.

pike51
September 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM
1. Chattanooga Twerking Girls
2. Everyone else

Those hoochies cost all the men on the visitors side a lot of money this weekend... all of it in $1's. Can they keep it up? I say yes! They didn't even need music to move like Jagger!

Smitty
September 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Well I can see us easily losing by 40+ against UTC.

EKU-n-GSU
September 30th, 2013, 08:40 AM
All I've heard is that Swope had to have surgery on his shoulder in the off-season and had another surgery on it Friday. He has never redshirted, and has only appeared in two games this year, so I would hope that he'll qualify for a redshirt.

Same injury - torn labrum - other shoulder.

SpeedkingATL
September 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
My opinion:

1) GaSo - A big win over the superior talent of UTC last weekend propels the Eagles to this lofty perch. Tough road game this weekend will decide if they stay here.
2) Samford - The coaching staff has finally turned the offense loose and it's paying off in big numbers. A win at home against GaSo this week would go a long way toward a SoCon title.
3) Wofford - Even with shutout loss to GW the Ankle-biters take the third spot based on GaSo win.
4) UTC - All that talent and all those lost games when against good competition. Can the Mocs ever figure out how to win the big ones??
5) Furman - Furple surprised me with a big win against Citdogs last weekend. Maybe they are starting to figure things out or maybe Citadel (like App) just can't get out of their own way.
6) THE Citadel - They're 1-4. Enough said.
7) App State - New coaching staff in learning on the job (and making a mess of it) and the switch to the 3-4 defense has been a disaster so far with any run between the tackles going for 5+ yards. At least they have pretty Nike uniforms...
8) Elon - Nothing to indicate they can win a SoCon game. At least they still get to play...
9) WCU - Got absolutely dominated by Sammy last week. Now that Mars Hill is over next win might come in 2014 unless App mails it in on last week of the season or Elon forgets it is playing WCU.

Elon @ Furman - Furman looking better and Elon looking like Elon. Furman wins 28-21.
PC @ Wofford - If UNCC can beat PC surely Wofford will but the way the Big South has bitch-slapped the SoCon this year who knows...Wofford wins 38-14.
App State @ Citadel - At the start of the year this was considered one of the games that would decide who would win the SoCon; now it looks like the loser might have fans with pitchforks and fire gathering at the athletic offices. Having seen Apps defense against the run the last two weeks and the scars from last years game, I just don't see the Apps winning on the road. Citdogs win 44-34. (I'm not going to let the game spoil my weekend at Wild Dunes).
WCU @ UTC - This should be ugly as it's not the bottom-feeders that get into the Mocs head. Choo Choo 44-10 and UTC starts building a trophy case for the National Championship Trophy and Baby Hues Heisman.

Eaglesrus
September 30th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Same injury - torn labrum - other shoulder.

Definitely appears to be an indication that we have somehow offended the injury gods this season. Thanks for the info, hope to get to see you Saturday.

Reign of Terrier
September 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM
That probably had a little to do with it but money does as well. I know GSU and App have a lot more money so they can pay more than the rest of the SoCon right now. I figured Lang was the successor and I'm sure that had to be part of it as well.

Woody made 6 figures at Wofford, according to rumor

ElCid
September 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM
My opinion:

1) GaSo - A big win over the superior talent of UTC last weekend propels the Eagles to this lofty perch. Tough road game this weekend will decide if they stay here.
2) Samford - The coaching staff has finally turned the offense loose and it's paying off in big numbers. A win at home against GaSo this week would go a long way toward a SoCon title.
3) Wofford - Even with shutout loss to GW the Ankle-biters take the third spot based on GaSo win.
4) UTC - All that talent and all those lost games when against good competition. Can the Mocs ever figure out how to win the big ones??
5) Furman - Furple surprised me with a big win against Citdogs last weekend. Maybe they are starting to figure things out or maybe Citadel (like App) just can't get out of their own way.
6) THE Citadel - They're 1-4. Enough said.
7) App State - New coaching staff in learning on the job (and making a mess of it) and the switch to the 3-4 defense has been a disaster so far with any run between the tackles going for 5+ yards. At least they have pretty Nike uniforms...
8) Elon - Nothing to indicate they can win a SoCon game. At least they still get to play...
9) WCU - Got absolutely dominated by Sammy last week. Now that Mars Hill is over next win might come in 2014 unless App mails it in on last week of the season or Elon forgets it is playing WCU.

Elon @ Furman - Furman looking better and Elon looking like Elon. Furman wins 28-21.
PC @ Wofford - If UNCC can beat PC surely Wofford will but the way the Big South has bitch-slapped the SoCon this year who knows...Wofford wins 38-14.
App State @ Citadel - At the start of the year this was considered one of the games that would decide who would win the SoCon; now it looks like the loser might have fans with pitchforks and fire gathering at the athletic offices. Having seen Apps defense against the run the last two weeks and the scars from last years game, I just don't see the Apps winning on the road. Citdogs win 44-34. (I'm not going to let the game spoil my weekend at Wild Dunes).
WCU @ UTC - This should be ugly as it's not the bottom-feeders that get into the Mocs head. Choo Choo 44-10 and UTC starts building a trophy case for the National Championship Trophy and Baby Hues Heisman.

I am so pissed I would not even drive back for the game this weekend except for the fact that I left my wife and dog on the Isle of Palms all week and I suppose I neeed to collect her. So I guess I will go to the game as well, pickfork in hand.

The Eagle's Cliff
September 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Just like Chatty would blow out GSU in Paulson, huh? Cliff, you need to call Bill W

My prediction was 38-17 Chatty and had that TD stood (28 -17) I think the defense and the crowd would've gone flat. The Eagles just don't have enough experienced bodies to play up to their standards.

Casey, I've been a continuous friend of Bill for over 23 years and I would highly recommend you check him out.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Definitely appears to be an indication that we have somehow offended the injury gods this season. Thanks for the info, hope to get to see you Saturday.

If it makes you feel any better, Furman was playing its 3rd string quarterback in the second half against the Citadel (another true freshman). Our injuries have mounted like crazy this season.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how Furman has been so good against the run this season. The patchwork Furman defensive line has far exceed expectations at this point in the season.

SU DOG
September 30th, 2013, 10:31 AM
As of Right Now:

1. Wofford - They did beat Ga So. and IMO, deserve this spot.
2. Ga Southern - The Eagles may have some injuries, but they also have lots of VERY good athletes and a win over UTC.
3. Samford - Lost 6 starters from a good defense last year, all 3 LBs, SS, and 2 DL(one of which was an NFL draft pick). Really good talent this year also, but hasn't risen to my expectations as of yet. IF the D can play up to potential, the Dogs could win out. Offensively, Truss is Truss, and Summerlin has looked like something out of the NFL recently, with the help of some unbelievable receivers. This Saturday is so important!!!
4. UTC - Still a team with as much or more talent than any in the conference.
5. Furman - IMO, a team that seems to get better each week.
6. The Citadel - Seems there is some disarray within the program.
7. App State - NEVER would I have dreamed this possible. One thing to consider, however, the Mountaineers' roster has enough superior athletes that experimenting might lead to a different team before long.
8. WCU - Folks are reading too much into the blowout at Samford. That sort of thing sometimes mushrooms, especially with a young team. I saw some good players Saturday, and I still believe that the Cats will surprise somebody who takes them as a laugher, and I will cheer when that happens.
9. Elon - I admit I know very little about this team, and I'm just guessing here.

I'm taking all the HOME teams this week.

OL FU
September 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
If it makes you feel any better, Furman was playing its 3rd string quarterback in the second half against the Citadel (another true freshman). Our injuries have mounted like crazy this season.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how Furman has been so good against the run this season. The patchwork Furman defensive line has far exceed expectations at this point in the season.

HAve you heard anything on Hannon? Can't seem to get the story.

Biff
September 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I am so pissed I would not even drive back for the game this weekend except for the fact that I left my wife and dog on the Isle of Palms all week and I suppose I neeed to collect her. So I guess I will go to the game as well, pickfork in hand.

I am giving my season tickets back to the school and getting away side tickets for the rest of the year. I just want to be on the winning side for once.

CID1990
September 30th, 2013, 10:44 AM
We have problems across the board and can feasibly lose every game on our schedule, including VMI.

The most frustrating part is that this team is better on paper than last year's. It is also painfully obvious where the problems are, but right now things are like a train wreck in slow motion.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2013, 11:20 AM
HAve you heard anything on Hannon? Can't seem to get the story.

I have not. Terry Robinson went into the game technically listed as the #2 quarterback, so I do not think they would have played Fletcher if they thought Hannon was able to go back in the game.

I do fear for a prolonged absence, though. This coaching staff is quite mum on injuries (I usually end up hearing about them in the pre-game comments the next week). I will say that having Thoni back in the lineup made a world of difference as Furman was really able to push around the Citadel front on Saturday. The offense will continue to struggle until we stop dropping like flys out there, though.

PaladinFan
September 30th, 2013, 11:26 AM
SoCon Players of the Week announced: Summerlin (Sam), Warren (Fur), Cox (App). http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209271880&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Furman starts a freshman at linebacker replacing the leading tackler, he gets player of the week. NBD.

OL FU
September 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
As of Right Now:

1. Wofford - They did beat Ga So. and IMO, deserve this spot.
2. Ga Southern - The Eagles may have some injuries, but they also have lots of VERY good athletes and a win over UTC.
3. Samford - Lost 6 starters from a good defense last year, all 3 LBs, SS, and 2 DL(one of which was an NFL draft pick). Really good talent this year also, but hasn't risen to my expectations as of yet. IF the D can play up to potential, the Dogs could win out. Offensively, Truss is Truss, and Summerlin has looked like something out of the NFL recently, with the help of some unbelievable receivers. This Saturday is so important!!!
4. UTC - Still a team with as much or more talent than any in the conference.
5. Furman - IMO, a team that seems to get better each week.
6. The Citadel - Seems there is some disarray within the program.
7. App State - NEVER would I have dreamed this possible. One thing to consider, however, the Mountaineers' roster has enough superior athletes that experimenting might lead to a different team before long.
8. WCU - Folks are reading too much into the blowout at Samford. That sort of thing sometimes mushrooms, especially with a young team. I saw some good players Saturday, and I still believe that the Cats will surprise somebody who takes them as a laugher, and I will cheer when that happens.
9. Elon - They are going to the CAA - **** 'em.

I'm taking all the HOME teams this week.

I usually don't do this but fixed it for you

walliver
September 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Woody made 6 figures at Wofford, according to rumor

I believe App doubled his salary.

As much as I hated to see him go, he made the right decision for his family. Mike Ayers is a black belt and still has a lot of energy, and should be around a while. Nate Woody and Wade Lang are both already in their 50's. If either had a chance to move up the ladder, it was time to move on.

SpeedkingATL
September 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I am giving my season tickets back to the school and getting away side tickets for the rest of the year. I just want to be on the winning side for once.

I guess you have a real dilemma on your hands this week. Maybe stand in the end zone or sit on a light standard.

ElCid
September 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
We have problems across the board and can feasibly lose every game on our schedule, including VMI.

The most frustrating part is that this team is better on paper than last year's. It is also painfully obvious where the problems are, but right now things are like a train wreck in slow motion.

As much as I want to give up on them, I just can't because you are right, we are better than the results so far. Our problems are primarily seated in motivation and emotion (players, coaches, and fans). They could pop out of this funk just as quickly as they got into it. As much as folks want to blame the Coaches (me also, a little more each week), the execution just isn't there either. They looked like they were in slow motion this past week. Maybe it was the ODU D last week that made us look good, but I think our players were up for that one for whatever reason. I agree about us losing them all, except I think VMI may be the only game we win. Unless something surprising happens, Clempson, Chatty, Samford, and Ga So for sure; App, and even Elon are all losses.

citdog
September 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM
As much as I want to give up on them, I just can't because you are right, we are better than the results so far. Our problems are primarily seated in motivation and emotion (players, coaches, and fans). They could pop out of this funk just as quickly as they got into it. As much as folks want to blame the Coaches (me also, a little more each week), the execution just isn't there either. They looked like they were in slow motion this past week. Maybe it was the ODU D last week that made us look good, but I think our players were up for that one for whatever reason. I agree about us losing them all, except I think VMI may be the only game we win. Unless something surprising happens, Clempson, Chatty, Samford, and Ga So for sure; App, and even Elon are all losses.

Been watching, and remembering, the football teams at The Citadel for all of my life and have NEVER seen a team play without FIRE, GUTS, and HEART. UNTIL NOW. Not sure what's wrong but it had better get fixed soon or Bond Hall will HAVE to make a change.

ElCid
September 30th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Been watching, and remembering, the football teams at The Citadel for all of my life and have NEVER seen a team play without FIRE, GUTS, and HEART. UNTIL NOW. Not sure what's wrong but it had better get fixed soon or Bond Hall will HAVE to make a change.

I don't know what the real problem is. As an outsider fan looking in it is easy to speculate. But considering how much press there has been on certain players, it may have gone to some of their heads. One of my favorite lines from a sports movie, and I am going by memory, was in Knute Rockne when a player apologizes to Rockne and he said "It was my fault coach, I didn't know how fast he was." Rockne says, "no it wasn't your fault, he just didn't know who you were. If he knew about all those newspaper clipping you've been saving, he wouldn't dare beat you out." After seeing how bad some of our players got beat, it makes me wonder.

The team needs to come together. The Players, the Coaches, and/or the Corps need to be the catalyst to make this happen.

T-Dog
October 1st, 2013, 12:16 AM

There's a lot here to agree with.

Another thing is that App doesn't have a beast at NT to warrant a double-team like a NT in a 3-4 needs to have. However, Woody isn't going to abandon the 3-4 like Dale Jones did. He could convert it into a 5-2, but that leaves the secondary vulnerable. I do think Woody is thinking down the line more-so than other coaches as he's starting several under-classmen so I feel better about the defense after this year.

One thing CSU did very well was avoid John Law. Blalock was terrible in that game and CSU kept attacking him at LB since Karl Anderson was doing surprisingly good. On one play in particular, the QB kept the ball with the option pitch available. Blalock should know to go after the QB if he can, even if he just gets the pitch off in time. However he kept back-peddling and eventually the QB ran by him untouched. Against the option, when you don't decide, you lose every time. He's one of those players who made a couple special teams plays as a freshman and got a full scholarship based on one game because Jerry Moore thought he was the next Corey Lynch.

Satterfield is calling plays from the sideline for the first time ever this year. He has Frank Ponce up in the booth even though he's never been an OC before and there seems to be a lot of growing pains there.

Also, I feel the strength program has gone way downhill since Mike Kent left two years ago. The conditioning is fine, but the weight training has fallen off.

Another thing with Satterfield is that he has too much attachment to Jamal. He wants him so bad to be the starter that it's hurting the team. JLJ just doesn't have it to run this offense anymore. Two things that have concerned me about Bryant is that he fumbles snaps occasionally and he doesn't target Sean Price like JLJ does. Price, for all his off-field problems, is the best player on this team and can win games. I've heard many people say Taylor Lamb will give Bryant all he can handle next year competing for the starting job and I can see it with Taylor's size and poise.

PaladinFan
October 1st, 2013, 07:24 AM
There's a lot here to agree with.

Another thing is that App doesn't have a beast at NT to warrant a double-team like a NT in a 3-4 needs to have. However, Woody isn't going to abandon the 3-4 like Dale Jones did. He could convert it into a 5-2, but that leaves the secondary vulnerable. I do think Woody is thinking down the line more-so than other coaches as he's starting several under-classmen so I feel better about the defense after this year.

One thing CSU did very well was avoid John Law. Blalock was terrible in that game and CSU kept attacking him at LB since Karl Anderson was doing surprisingly good. On one play in particular, the QB kept the ball with the option pitch available. Blalock should know to go after the QB if he can, even if he just gets the pitch off in time. However he kept back-peddling and eventually the QB ran by him untouched. Against the option, when you don't decide, you lose every time. He's one of those players who made a couple special teams plays as a freshman and got a full scholarship based on one game because Jerry Moore thought he was the next Corey Lynch.

Satterfield is calling plays from the sideline for the first time ever this year. He has Frank Ponce up in the booth even though he's never been an OC before and there seems to be a lot of growing pains there.

Also, I feel the strength program has gone way downhill since Mike Kent left two years ago. The conditioning is fine, but the weight training has fallen off.

Another thing with Satterfield is that he has too much attachment to Jamal. He wants him so bad to be the starter that it's hurting the team. JLJ just doesn't have it to run this offense anymore. Two things that have concerned me about Bryant is that he fumbles snaps occasionally and he doesn't target Sean Price like JLJ does. Price, for all his off-field problems, is the best player on this team and can win games. I've heard many people say Taylor Lamb will give Bryant all he can handle next year competing for the starting job and I can see it with Taylor's size and poise.

The backup quarterback is always the most popular guy on the team. This is one of those times when we, as fans, have to realize that these coaches coach football as a career, they spend most of every day with these players, and know them (and their capabilities) as well as anyone. It is always my assumption that if a kid is starting at quarterback it is because he is the best player available at the position.

I do also think that some of ASU's problems are coming out of recruiting. Had I the time or energy, I could go back and probably find discussions on this forum relating to recruiting classes four or five years ago. App was bringing in a ton of highly regarded WR/QB/ATH hybrids to run in what was then an electric offense. Noticeably (and we all discussed this) that App had missed out on a lot of offensive linemen. One reason I remember that is because Dakota Dozier (Furman's All American LT) was heavily recruited by App. I think they lost one to GSU that year too.

We talked at the time about seeing where App would be a few years down the road when they had a team full of specialists and some gaps on the offensive line. I think we are seeing it now.

walliver
October 1st, 2013, 10:29 AM

Nate Woody is a good coach (I wish y'all had taken our OC instead:D), but his defense takes a little getting used to. Terrier fans have complained for years about how we gave up the short passes all the way down the field and didn't tighten up until the other team got into field goal position. It is going to take a few years to recruit the players he needs.