View Full Version : WEEK 1 GATEWAY PREDICTIONS...the craziness begins!

birdsflyhigh
September 27th, 2006, 12:30 PM
7 of the 8 Gateway teams are in action this weekend....with IL St. having an open weekend. There's three GFC battles, and UNI travels to Iowa St.
Ah....the blood bath begins!!

UNI @ IA St. 42-17 Cyclones Sorry Panther fans, I'll be rooting for you, but this game could get unpleasant.

IN St. @ SIU 49-20 Salukis A mismatch with one of the top GFC teams playing at home versus an IN St. Syc team that has lost..what 22 in a row now.

YSU @ MSU 31-14 Penguins A must game for YSU if they want to win the Gateway. The MSU Bears offense is barely registering right now, so the end score may be even more lopsided.

WIU @ WKU 24-21 Hilltoppers Going with the upset here in the best game of the day. The WIU Leatherneck sched has been a bit suspect so far, and WKU is coming off a nice win over Chatanooga. WKU has some momentum plus they'll need to defend their home turf.

What do you guys see happening? :dizzy:

shakdaddy3
September 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
i concur on all of it... the scores and logic too.

MSUBear42
September 27th, 2006, 01:21 PM
For some freakin weird weird reason, I'm saying MSU 21 YSU 17... I think having a set starting QB, and having him go "as long as he can" will help this pathetic offense. The D is on fire this year, so that can only help.

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Agree with WKU, SIU & YSU winning. UNI will be embarassed again.

ysubigred
September 27th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Agree with WKU, SIU & YSU winning. UNI will be embarassed again.

Ditto!! I'm sticking with my man Paladin1AA Poor UNI :bawling:

Killtoppers90
September 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM
WIU and WKU. Are we to bring the sledgehammer back out of hibernation? I am ONLY joking.... sorry. Go Toppers!

pantherclaw
September 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Agree SIU over ISU big and WKU over WIU.
ISU-UNI, I think the score will be closer but same result. depends on what team UNI brings
YSU over MSU i think will be an even bigger margin. IMO

FlyYtown
September 27th, 2006, 04:29 PM
UNI @ IA St. 49-10 Iowa St. This won't be close at all. UNI will be 2-2, for their sake, losses to a D2 and D1 in the same year weren't as planned...... Sorry.

IN St. @ SIU 42-17 Salukis Indiana St. will keep it close at half, but the Saluki's explode in the 2nd half and win big.

YSU @ MSU 42-14 Penguins This will not be close. YSU is way too good to lose. YSU is averaging 32 a game, will not change on the road. YSU is must win on the road this early on.

WIU @ WKU 21-17 WIU Wins... The Leathernecks are for real folks. If they can win this on the road, that be big for WIU this year. Could go either way. The Gateway Game of the Week.

Pantherpower
September 27th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Terry Allen and the Bears of MSU expose the paper tiger 31-17:rotateh:

WIU - WKU: the Leathernecks are back! Dogs in a close one 24-21

SIU - ISU: Yikes! Flying Saluki Dogs that eat children 56 - Sapless Trees 14

Primetime: UNI vs ISU a late Wingert field goal lifts the Panthers over the Clones 31-28:rotateh:

Neckfansince71
September 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
I think UNI is the true mystery team of the conference. The ? is who will show up this weekend. Better game for the Panthers but ISU too tough. Real question is how will UNI react the next time they play?

YSU over MSU MSU not ready for prime time just yet. Penguins are solid!

SIU over IndSt IndSt looked hapless against NIU.

WIU over WKU Saw the Necks last year when they got killed by WKU at home. Really sad to watch, no intensity! And then WKU went down the poop shoot. Teams at that point were going in different directions. I am not sure what direction WKU is going, but the game against Wisconsin really got my attention. If I hadn't been there I doubt I would have totally felt this way, but the Necks have a composed QB, good running game with plenty of backs, solid flying hard hitting defense and good special teams. The Necks are back!!!!

jc

skinny_uncle
September 27th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Salukis and Penguins win. WKU and WIU a tossup, but I think the Hilltoppers win at home. UNI gives a good effort but falls.

Champs
September 27th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I agree. SIU & YSU will win easily. WKU has the home edge and should win it. UNI ?? A blow-out loss !! :nod:

siugrad99
September 27th, 2006, 11:40 PM
"Flying Dawgs that eat children" Priceless :)

ysubigred
September 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I've noticed the necks also. In my preseason I had you all as the sleeper in the GFC. You all are looking more like contenders :thumbsup:
I think UNI is the true mystery team of the conference. The ? is who will show up this weekend. Better game for the Panthers but ISU too tough. Real question is how will UNI react the next time they play?

YSU over MSU MSU not ready for prime time just yet. Penguins are solid!

SIU over IndSt IndSt looked hapless against NIU.

WIU over WKU Saw the Necks last year when they got killed by WKU at home. Really sad to watch, no intensity! And then WKU went down the poop shoot. Teams at that point were going in different directions. I am not sure what direction WKU is going, but the game against Wisconsin really got my attention. If I hadn't been there I doubt I would have totally felt this way, but the Necks have a composed QB, good running game with plenty of backs, solid flying hard hitting defense and good special teams. The Necks are back!!!!

jc

GoGuins
September 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
WIU @ WKU 21-17 WIU Wins... The Leathernecks are for real folks. If they can win this on the road, that be big for WIU this year. Could go either way. The Gateway Game of the Week.

You see now why I'm worried about this road game (@ WIU) for YSU?

siugrad99
September 28th, 2006, 07:55 PM
WIU best win this one as they will have a hard time finding many other "W"'s on their schedule.

Neckfansince71
September 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
You absolutely have no idea what you are talking about!:smiley_wi

jc

skinny_uncle
September 28th, 2006, 09:54 PM
You absolutely have no idea what you are talking about!:smiley_wi

jc
Really, I hope you win. It would boost our crowd the following weekend for Homecoming.

birdsflyhigh
September 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Tick tick tick...the Gateway wars begin tomorrow. YES!! Haven't heard from many WKU fans. What do you think Hilltoppers...any upsets brewing?

:anim_chai

Killtoppers90
September 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Is WKU beating WIU an upset in most people's eyes?

Cap'n Cat
September 29th, 2006, 03:12 PM
UNI @ IASU: Northern Iowa fights to the death, but goes down to cross-state rival, ISU, 24-20

IN St. @ SIU: Southern Illinois 40-32

WIU @ WKU: Western Illinois 24, WKU 12

I-AA and Gateway Pillowfight of the Week:

YSU @ MSU: Cocky, overrated Penguins find out they have many unworkable chinks in their tin armor and crawl back to NE Ohio after an embarassing 21-3 loss to allegedly lowly Missouri State. YSU loses next four in a row, is excluded from the playoffs....again (Lafayette College plug here!)....and whines about the Selection Committee not taking a 6-5, fifth place Gateway team, even though they won four NC trophies last century.

Go Gateway!!!!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :D :D :D :D :D :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

PMB4Life
September 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I'll say this again, and I want honest answers from people:

"Why do you think that an Iowa State team whose highest point total in regulation is 17 (and that includes a game against UNLV) is going to put up over 40 on UNI's defense?"

I think our defense is a liability, but I refuse to believe that they are going to give up 40 points. Our secondary is too good to allow that to happen.

ISU 31, UNI 20

Toppermaniac
September 30th, 2006, 12:54 PM
SIU easily over Indiana St.
UNI goes down hard
YSU beats MSU by 17
WKU over WIU by 14

You guys really think WIU is going to beat WKU at home? What are you smoking? We absolutely demolished WIU last year on the road. I know, different teams, but not that much diffeent. One thing is interesting though. Will the fact that WKU is coming off a bye week hurt or help them? They could be rusty, but then again they should be healthy and they've had two weeks to prepare for the game. I don't think a blowout will happen, but don't be surprised if it does.

birdsflyhigh
September 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
The games should be starting pretty quick. Would be great if some of each school's fans/posters used this thread to update each school's scores!! :thumbsup:

shakdaddy3
September 30th, 2006, 06:23 PM
wiu 7-0... WKU driving deep rite now

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Misery State leading Youngstown 10-9 at the half.
SIU leading Indiana State 24-3 at the half.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 07:23 PM
WIU leading WKU 21-10 at the half.
UNI leading Iowa State 21-7 in the second quarter.
The only game I have right now is SIU. Obviously, I am no prophet.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 07:48 PM
WKU has scored to pull within 21-17 in the third quarter.

birdsflyhigh
September 30th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the updates guys.....please keep 'em coming. Can you believe UNI? Love it! :)

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Iowa State has scored
21-14 now

Salukis dominating Indiana State 52-3 early in the fourth

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Youngstown has scored 4 TDs in the third and lead Misery State 37-10

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 08:18 PM
WIU leading WKU early in the fourth

WIU02
September 30th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Toppermaniac-

Solid effort from WKU at home. Maybe next year.

birdsflyhigh
September 30th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Did the Leatherneck-Hilltoppers game go final? :confused:

therealbigredrules
September 30th, 2006, 08:51 PM
WKU Wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toppers win 38-35 Classic

WKU never lead until 35 Sec. left in game

No Punts

No turnovers

birdsflyhigh
September 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM
UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Saluki_man
September 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM
No rest for the weary Leathernecks, they get to go to SIU next week.

poharry
September 30th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Toppermaniac-

Spoke a little too soon don't ya think?

Same ole same ole, put points up on the board and can't stop anybody.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Salukis and Penguins win. WKU and WIU a tossup, but I think the Hilltoppers win at home. UNI gives a good effort but falls.
Looks like I was right across the board. I really wish I had been wrong on the Panther game.

galojay
September 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
What an INCREDIBLE game at WKU. Toppers down 11 twice I think, came back to win with 35 seconds left. NO PUNTS and NO TURNOVERS! A great game to watch as a fan.

Both teams need to work on defense! ugh!

birdsflyhigh
September 30th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah, looks like I called all the games right, but really missed on the UNI score. Great game for the Panthers in coming up just short on the upset of the Cyclowns. Congrats to the Hilltoppers, Salukis and Penguins! Between the UNI game and the WKU-WIU game it was a pretty exciting day in the Gateway. Very cool! :cool:

Toppermaniac
September 30th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Toppermaniac-

Careful, you might get some feathers caught in your teeth!!!!!! Just how stupid do you feel now?

Toppermaniac
September 30th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Just got back from the WKU-WIU game and all I can say is WOW and WHEW!!!!! What a rollercoaster ride. This game was definitely not for the defensive purist. No punts and no turnovers. If you love offense this was the game for you. I have to say, the way the game was progressing I didn't think WKU had a prayer. Our D was powerless against WIU's offense the entire game. The saving grace is that you can say the same for WIU's defense. I'm not sure whether both offenses are that good or the defenses are that bad. WKU did not stop WIU's offense until their last two possessions of the game, but then again, those were the two most important defensive sequences for WKU. WIU's offensive line pushed our defensive line all over the field. WIU's defense didn't fare any better. Basically, the last team that had the ball (with any time to work with) won the game. The two defensive coordinators have much work to do.

By the way, WIU02, just in case you didn't know. YOU LOST!!!!!! I couldn't help myself considering your smarta** comment earlier. Maybe next year!!!!!

Toppermaniac
September 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM
By the way, congrats to UNI on a fantastic effort, and SIU and YSU on romps.

Toppermaniac
September 30th, 2006, 10:30 PM
What an INCREDIBLE game at WKU. Toppers down 11 twice I think, came back to win with 35 seconds left. NO PUNTS and NO TURNOVERS! A great game to watch as a fan.

Both teams need to work on defense! ugh!

I wouldn't necessarily say it was a great game to watch. I was so ticked off at our defense that I almost left the game. Good thing I didn't. Our D is very weak. No excuse for a performance like that coming off a bye week with two weeks to prepare. If we don't fix that side of the ball quick, we're going down HARD. Maybe next week.

SO ILLmatic
September 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Congrats to SIU, WKU, & YSU on their conference wins. And Northern Iowa for playing Iowa St wire to wire.

For people that attended the WKU-WIU game, how did the 'Necks look and how will they do when they come to Carbondale next Saturday?

Toppermaniac
September 30th, 2006, 10:40 PM
See my comments above. WIU's offense look great. Moved the ball at will. However, their defense was just as terrible as ours.

Hoss8091
October 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM
WKU and WIU played in an unusual game. No turnovers, no punts, long drives, and I don't remember any holding calls. Overall, I don't think that there were that many flags thrown.

I did not expect WIU to come out with such an effective offense, because I thought WKU's defense was their strong point this year.

I also thought that WKU was beat when WIU went up by two touchdowns. During the Eastern Kentucky game WKU's offence self-destructed. I thought that we would have problems with it the rest of the year.

It appears next week will make or break both Westerns. WKU has Illinois State and I think WIU has Southern Illinois. A win for both Westerns would turn the Gateway race upside down.

poharry
October 1st, 2006, 11:47 AM
I don't see the Neck D stopping anyone this year, well, maybe Ind St. They have been down for about 3 yrs now and there seems to be no end in sight.

The WKU D stepped up when it needed to and ours didn't. You can also say our O choked when they needed to control clock, ball and score. They didn't.

skinny_uncle
October 1st, 2006, 12:20 PM
Despite the Salukis success in stopping Indy State yesterday, they do have a good offense. Their no-huddle is a bit tricky. Purdue gave up 5 TDs to the Trees, so don't count on stopping them.