PDA

View Full Version : UCA SR. LB Heard suspended; Yet another NCAA mystery

BEAR
September 27th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Senior linebacker Justin Heard (http://ucasports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1809&path=football) of Woodland, Ala., has been suspended indefinitely from the Bears football team (http://ucasports.com/index.aspx?path=football) for violating NCAA rules.
According to sources, Heard gave several hundred dollars of his scholarship money to his brother, a UCA student and member of the football team, to buy textbooks. NCAA rules stipulate that scholarship money belongs to the university, not the student athlete, and can’t be used for other purposes.

http://www.myfountainonline.com/linebacker-suspended-indefinitely

Alright FCS and NCAA fans. Please explain this one to me. If it was an athletic scholly overage and it belonged to the university, how did he get it? How does that whole scholarship thing work????? He didn't sell autographs or swap memorabilia for tattoos...he helped his BROTHER with textbooks!

- signed, confused in Conway.

P.S. Sorry way to end your career.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2013, 07:57 AM
http://www.myfountainonline.com/linebacker-suspended-indefinitely

Alright FCS and NCAA fans. Please explain this one to me. If it was an athletic scholly overage and it belonged to the university, how did he get it? How does that whole scholarship thing work????? He didn't sell autographs or swap memorabilia for tattoos...he helped his BROTHER with textbooks!

- signed, confused in Conway.

P.S. Sorry way to end your career.

He should have sold a few autographs!! would have only cost him half of a game

Libertine
September 27th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I would suggest that the "sources" are wrong because that description makes no sense. Student-athletes never actually see scholarship money because scholarships aren't real money; they are effectively nothing more than discounts off the cost of schooling.

kingkat99
September 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I would suggest that the "sources" are wrong because that description makes no sense. Student-athletes never actually see scholarship money because scholarships aren't real money; they are effectively nothing more than discounts off the cost of schooling.

Had they actually gotten money this could have been done easily without anyone ever knowing unless he or his brother had a big mouth. BUT because they are usually given a credit at the bookstore to apply towards books if he applied credit to more books than his schedule dictated the paper trail catches up to you. Technically he stole from the University according to this rule. Robin Hood was a do gooder theif too but a theif none the less.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Maybe UCA gave the student a certain amount of money to buy textbooks, and there was an overage, so he wanted to apply the balance so his brother could get textbooks too.

This sounds similar to an issue Howard University had a couple of years ago.

By the way, no way this will happen once stipends become a way of life in the SEC. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

rokamortis
September 27th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Had they actually gotten money this could have been done easily without anyone ever knowing unless he or his brother had a big mouth. BUT because they are usually given a credit at the bookstore to apply towards books if he applied credit to more books than his schedule dictated the paper trail catches up to you. Technically he stole from the University according to this rule. Robin Hood was a do gooder theif too but a theif none the less.

That makes sense if that is indeed what happened.

Shouldn't the other brother be suspended too for accepting it?

BEAR
September 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Ahhhh.... so Heard used his textbook credit and bought books for his brother. Makes more sense now. I knew about the bookstore credit but didn't know how that whole thing worked. Guess he had some store credit and went with his brother and bought his books for him. Maybe? Guess we'll find out more later.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 27th, 2013, 09:15 AM
The NCAA suspending an athlete indefinitely trying to help his brother be prepared for college.

While Johnny Manziel sits out a half of a meaningless game to add more $$$ onto his existing pile of money.

I guess now I've seen everything.

BEAR
September 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Yet another domino falling to the Bears disadvantage... xblehx

No home games since late August, losing half the team to injuries and now this... Well, SLC it's up to SAM, McNeese, SLU, and SFA to represent...we're too busy imploding. xlolx

BEAR
September 27th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I just wish Heard could have said he was going to take those classes next semester and he only "lent" them out to his brother. xlolx

kingkat99
September 27th, 2013, 09:40 AM
The NCAA suspending an athlete indefinitely trying to help his brother be prepared for college.

While Johnny Manziel sits out a half of a meaningless game to add more $$$ onto his existing pile of money.

There was a paper trail to show he STOLE from the University even if it was for a good cause, like the rule states it wasn't his money to give away in the first place. I guess by your reasoning if I go rob a bank and give it to the Sisters of the Poor charity and I get caught I should be let go on the bases of it was a good cause?? There was no paper trail for Johnny.

CFBfan
September 27th, 2013, 09:51 AM

yes they do!! they get a book and housing allowance if they go over they pay the diff. if they go under they keep the diff.

Nova09
September 27th, 2013, 12:50 PM
A student-athlete is permitted to receive up to a full grant-in-aid. Some student-athletes have aid from other sources besides athletics, so the athletics aid plus the other aid might exceed a full grant-in-aid, in which case the athletic scholarship must be reduced. If there is any time between the student-athlete exceeding full grant-in-aid and the athletic dept catching it and reducing athletic aid, there would most likely be a credit to the student-athlete's account. If the student-athlete goes to the bursar during this time, the student-athlete could theoretically cash out the overage.

That describes what might have happened, but what is more likely is he what others suggested--he went to the bookstore and charged for books for classes he wasn't taking; since his scholarship covers books, the bookstore gave him all the books he asked for and charged the balance to the athletic dept; when the athletic dept looked at the expense report they caught it.

Nova09
September 27th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Technically every suspension is "indefinite" at first, until an actual suspension is assigned. This student-athlete will have to go through reinstatement, which could theoretically be done today without him missing any games.

Twentysix
September 27th, 2013, 12:53 PM
There was a paper trail to show he STOLE from the University even if it was for a good cause, like the rule states it wasn't his money to give away in the first place. I guess by your reasoning if I go rob a bank and give it to the Sisters of the Poor charity and I get caught I should be let go on the bases of it was a good cause?? There was no paper trail for Johnny.

robbing a bank is a poor choice of crime, you typically don't even get 5 grand.

walliver
September 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I think the real issue is that he gave several hundred dollars of university money to a member of the football team (the fact that that player is his brother is probably not relevant).

BEAR
October 1st, 2013, 07:28 PM
Update: Just a 3 game suspension! Lesson learned it seems. Glad as a senior he gets to play in the last few games. xnodx

http://www.myfountainonline.com/suspended-linebacker-i-was-just-trying-to-help

Senior linebacker Justin Heard (http://ucasports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1809&path=football) of Woodland, Ala., has been suspended for three games from the Bears football team (http://ucasports.com/index.aspx?path=football) for violating NCAA bylaws.
According to sources, Heard gave several hundred dollars of his scholarship money to his brother, a UCA student and member of the football team, to buy textbooks.

“Well, I’m very sorry this happened — not just for me but mostly the team,” Heard said. “A lot of people look up to me and expect me to make wise decisions. I am not a bad person, just was trying to help in a way I thought would be ok.
“I take responsibility for the actions, even if they were innocent. I want to move forward and put this behind me. I am just waiting to hear when I can play again.”

Darlinikki150
October 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM
This is nice turn of events for him. I understand he did somn wrong, but he wasn't stuffing 1$bills down strippers g strings so its nice to know the NCAA has a heart and some common sense.

Libertine
October 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
yes they do!! they get a book and housing allowance if they go over they pay the diff. if they go under they keep the diff.
Scholarships and books/housing allowances are two different things.