PDA

View Full Version : App State QB Situation?

flexbone
September 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
This is for App State fans or anyone else in the Know.
What is the status of your QB situation.
Is the Freshman Edwards your starting QB, if so what happened to Trey Elder?

BULLDOG8180
September 27th, 2006, 10:25 AM
This is for App State fans or anyone else in the Know.
What is the status of your QB situation.
Is the Freshman Edwards your starting QB, if so what happened to Trey Elder?

Due to the lack of production in the first two games, and the performance of Edwards at practice, Edwards got the nod for the next 2 games. As far as I know-no injuries or discipline on Elder.

So I would say- Edwards will continue as starter as long as he is successful leading the team.

89Hen
September 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Due to the lack of production in the first two games
I guess Mr.C isn't the only ASU Nostradamus. :smiley_wi

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
trey isn't injured, ha and certainly isnt sitting because of discipline. armanti is the starter and will stay that way from what i hear.:eyebrow: :) :eyebrow: :confused: :)

KiddBrewer
September 27th, 2006, 11:05 AM
but im not doubting him, he hasn't screwed up yet....

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 11:06 AM
freshmeat?

goasu984Life
September 27th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I was at the ASU-GWU game Saturday, and it was the first time I saw Edwards. He is definitely a freshman. He got an unsportsmanlike penalty in the first half because he lost his temper. He is athletic, and is very mobile, so it gives the offense another dimension. Elder did a good job in the time that he played last season, and I didn't see the other two games so I can't really say how he was in those. Edwards looks to be the guy for a while.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I didn't watch the National Champ. game last year as I was recovering from surgery (heavy medication was about the best thing to help me endure an ASU victory). What was Elder's statline in that game? I remember that Williams came back in but how long did Elder play?

I saw him play against FU in the Semifinal game. He was a good player, much faster than Williams, but made a lot of mistakes with the ball. It seemed he did just enough on offense to keep the ball out of the Paladin's hands, though he did have one (or maybe two) very costly fumbles. I remember his feet scaring me, but not his arm.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM
This really didn't have a lot to do with a lack of production from Elder. It had more to do with the emergence of Edwards. And among the media and a lot of fans, it is still considered to be quite a controversial decision. The Mountaineer coaches really played close to the vest with their play calling in the first two games and Elder's numbers reflect that. As a matter of fact, they threw long passes on just three plays in the first two games (Elder completed two of them, one in each game). ASU mostly tried to establish the run in the North Carolina State and James Madison games, against teams that are very good against the run. The teams that ASU played in Edwards' two starts, D-II Mars Hill and Gardner-Webb, didn't poise much of a challenge defensively. There has been a lot posted on other threads on this subject, breaking down Edwards' performance in those two games.

This decision has very little to do with Trey Elder (who has handled the decision with a great attitude, BTW). It has a lot to do with Armanti Edwards' talent and the coaching staff thinking they have a young Richie Williams-type talent that they can develop. I still think Elder will end up bailing the Mountaineers out in some games off the bench this year.

The stakes get a little higher this Saturday against an improving Elon team (but one that ASU should beat easily at home). The real test for Edwards will be the following week at Chattanooga and the first good I-AA defense he has seen as a starter.

BTW, 89 Hen, Elder only has one turnover in the four games he has played this year.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I didn't watch the National Champ. game last year as I was recovering from surgery (heavy medication was about the best thing to help me endure an ASU victory). What was Elder's statline in that game? I remember that Williams came back in but how long did Elder play?

I saw him play against FU in the Semifinal game. He was a good player, much faster than Williams, but made a lot of mistakes with the ball. It seemed he did just enough on offense to keep the ball out of the Paladin's hands, though he did have one (or maybe two) very costly fumbles. I remember his feet scaring me, but not his arm.
Elder started and played the first half. Williams played the final play of the first half (a long desperation pass intended to give the Mountaineers a lift heading into the locker room). Here is the stat line for both players:

PASSING: Appalachian State-Richie Williams 10-26-0-129; Trey Elder
9-16-1-123.

Elder actually had the better night, though he did throw one interception.

The semifinal game was really an aboration for Elder in terms of turnovers. He lost the ball on fumbles after a pair of runs, but came back to lead the final scoring drive that day and scored the winning TD. He finished 12-of-17 for 165 yards passing and rushed 13 times for 69 yards, playing three and a half quarters. He had a 45-yard touchdown pass to Dexter Jackson on his first play.

Saying Elder is faster than Williams is quite funny. He isn't slow, but Elder doesn't compare to Richie as a runner.

AppGuy04
September 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
IMO, Elder is the better QB RIGHT NOW, but I think Armanti has a brighter future.

89Hen
September 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM
This really didn't have a lot to do with a lack of production from Elder. It had more to do with the emergence of Edwards.

BTW, 89 Hen, Elder only has one turnover in the four games he has played this year.
If Elder were productive Edwards could have never emerged.

And I was incorrect that he didn't turn the ball over as much as I predicted, but that's partly due to nobody catching his throws.

18 of 42 for 197, 1TD and 1INT, 6 sacks = 85.35 NCAA rating

Without Mars Hill...

12 of 30 for 137, 0 TD and 1INT, 5 sacks = 71.69 NCAA rating

IMO Elder was the weak link on what could be a back-to-back national champion.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
If Elder were productive Edwards could have never emerged.

And I was incorrect that he didn't turn the ball over as much as I predicted, but that's partly due to nobody catching his throws.

18 of 42 for 197, 1TD and 1INT, 6 sacks = 85.35 NCAA rating

Without Mars Hill...

12 of 30 for 137, 0 TD and 1INT, 5 sacks = 71.69 NCAA rating

IMO Elder was the weak link on what could be a back-to-back national champion.
You are entitled to your opinion, but if you had been there for every snap of Trey's career, like a lot of us have, you might have a different view. Trey's performance in the first two games was more a product of REALLY BAD play calling than poor performance. By the way, you cannot blame Elder for getting sacked when the offensive line played poorly in the first game.

There is little doubt that Elder is tons better at this point as a passer. Edwards is the more dangerous runner. All of Edwards' throws and completions have been very carefully orchestrated. Also, Edwards had two terrible interceptions against Mars Hill.

Elder was the preseason all-conference QB in the SoCon, so I guess he couldn't be too bad. Also, he has only lost only one start in his high school or college career and that was to North Carolina State. He would be starting at a lot of I-AA schools around the country, including most of the other SoCon teams outside of Furman.

89Hen
September 27th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Elder was the preseason all-conference QB in the SoCon
Let's revisit when they give out the post-season one.

Apps32
September 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM
He got an unsportsmanlike penalty in the first half because he lost his temper.

In AE's defense, he lost his temper after having his helmet ripped off after being tackled. Still needs to keep his cool in a situations like that, but I don't consider that a freshman mistake...

OL FU
September 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Maybe it was because Elder threw up on the field at NC STate:eyebrow:

Just kidding.

With respect to the NC game, I thought Williams came in to give the emotional lift to the Mountaineers more than anything. And he succeeded at that just like he succeeded at performing during the rest of his career.

The defense played well but seemed to respond in the second half to the wounded QB leader.

ASU Kep
September 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I think more than performance the switch had a lot to do with leadership and the teams trust in their QB. For one reason or another, I think the team is feeling Armanti over Trey.

youwouldno
September 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I think Moore is definitely taking a risk with regards to the 2006 season. It's interesting because I have a lot of respect for him and I don't think he would make the QB decision lightly.

Maybe Moore figured Elder wasn't good enough to defend the NC so he decided he may as well build for the future. With GSU down, App might have a 50/50 shot at the SoCon, but a long playoff run will be a lot tougher.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Let's revisit when they give out the post-season one.
What I meant by that is that most of the coaches in the SoCon thought, based on past performance, that Elder was the best QB in the league. Nothing more, nothing less.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Right, I can see doing this if you are, say a midlevel team who has big time potential. But as the #2 team in the nation, changing horses in midstream? I don't know....

I am pretty sure that Elder was faster than Williams. Richie turned in a 4.88 on his 40 at the NFL proday at ASU, which (if it was there) is about the fastest stadium to run in due to elevation and the turf. It attests to how shifty he was, but in straight line speed, there is no way Elder was slower than Williams. Hell, any slower than 4.88 would be the O-Line.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I think more than performance the switch had a lot to do with leadership and the teams trust in their QB. For one reason or another, I think the team is feeling Armanti over Trey.
Kep, I enjoy reading your posts and agree with a lot of what you have to say, but this is NOT a leadership issue. Having interviewed Armanti several times and seeing him work in both practice and games, there is NO WAY he is providing a leadership role right now. Nice young man, but he is still trying to figure everything out. He is being led. He barely has a grasp of the offense and has a hard time figuring out defenses right now. The leaders on the offense are guys like center Scott Suttle, tackle Matt Isenhour and tight end Daniel Bettis. A freshman QB would have to be the second coming of Johhny Unitas, or Bart Starr to come in and take over the leadership of the national champions. This is all about the talent of a young man, not about anything else. For all of the strengths of Jerry Moore as a coach, this was TOTALLY mishandled by a coaching staff that has created QB controversies more often than not during Moore's 18 years as coach.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Right, I can see doing this if you are, say a midlevel team who has big time potential. But as the #2 team in the nation, changing horses in midstream? I don't know....

I am pretty sure that Elder was faster than Williams. Richie turned in a 4.88 on his 40 at the NFL proday at ASU, which (if it was there) is about the fastest stadium to run in due to elevation and the turf. It attests to how shifty he was, but in straight line speed, there is no way Elder was slower than Williams. Hell, any slower than 4.88 would be the O-Line.
Don't judge by 40 times. Richie's game speed was different than his non-game speed. If there was competition on the line, I wouldn't bet against Richie in a race with Trey.

September 27th, 2006, 03:38 PM
What I meant by that is that most of the coaches in the SoCon thought, based on past performance, that Elder was the best QB in the league...Is that saying very much?

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I think Moore is definitely taking a risk with regards to the 2006 season. It's interesting because I have a lot of respect for him and I don't think he would make the QB decision lightly.

Maybe Moore figured Elder wasn't good enough to defend the NC so he decided he may as well build for the future. With GSU down, App might have a 50/50 shot at the SoCon, but a long playoff run will be a lot tougher.
Even if Georgia Southern were not down, App State is still the solid favorite for the SoCon. Remember that Furman has to come to Boone, a place where they haven't won since 1996. And Furman has only one win over ASU in the past seven games. Until someone snaps that 20-game win streak in Boone, you have to make ASU heavy favorites. ASU's defense is playing as well as any team in I-AA right now.

There are risks involved with Edwards, but if Moore didn't think there wasn't a tremendous upside, he would be risking a team that could win another national champion.

Mr. C
September 27th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Is that saying very much?
It is saying as much as any of these folks from any league are saying when they do preseason teams. If the coaches didn't think Elder was the most talented QB in the league, heading into the season, they wouldn't have given him that honor.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Even if Georgia Southern were not down, App State is still the solid favorite for the SoCon. Remember that Furman has to come to Boone, a place where they haven't won since 1996. And Furman has only one win over ASU in the past seven games. Until someone snaps that 20-game win streak in Boone, you have to make ASU heavy favorites. ASU's defense is playing as well as any team in I-AA right now.

There are risks involved with Edwards, but if Moore didn't think there wasn't a tremendous upside, he would be risking a team that could win another national champion.

Furman will walk out of Boone with a win this year. Mark it down. Too many close games in the past few years, a string of bad luck can't go on forever.

I will again note the Furman/App game at Furman last year. Go back and look at the stats at how much Richie Williams contributed to their offensive production. Richardson had 68 yrds and Williams nearly every inch more (I think he rushed for 127 and threw for 170something). When the competition gets tough, #7's absence will become all the more prevelant.

We will find out a lot about Edwards this weekend.

LarryBoy
September 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Vanilla playcalling can really do a number on a QB's stats. If your playcalling was as tame as you guys claim, then it seems very questionable to take the job away from Elder so quickly.

Look at what different playcalling did for Renaldo. After the first two games, he was statistically horrid. Sorrells had the game-winning TD drive already on his resume, and a large majority of the Furman faithful were ready to see Sorrells under center. We weren't throwing the ball deep, and we only threw on third and long situations. That's no way for a quarterback to find a rhythm.

When Bobby stayed with Renaldo after the West Georgia debacle--giving him the chance to carry the team against UNC--I think it was the bit of confidence that he needed. On top of that, they finally called plays that allowed him to show was he was capable of (lots of option and 26 passes). He then goes and turns in the 9th best game for a QB in school history (against an ACC team, no less...yes, UNC, but still an ACC team).

The point is, as much as I can't stand App (and couldn't stand Elder when he was in high school), I hate to see the legs cut out from under him. If he has a good attitude about it, we'll see him again this year. Putting a freshman in charge of defending a national championship is just too much to ask.

AppGuy04
September 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Furman will walk out of Boone with a win this year. Mark it down. Too many close games in the past few years, a string of bad luck can't go on forever.

I will again note the Furman/App game at Furman last year. Go back and look at the stats at how much Richie Williams contributed to their offensive production. Richardson had 68 yrds and Williams nearly every inch more (I think he rushed for 127 and threw for 170something). When the competition gets tough, #7's absence will become all the more prevelant.

Appalachian now is not a team that will throw 45 passes. They will try to establish Kevin, and if successful, I think they will win. Whichever team can establish the run effectively will win. There will be no passing all over the field for either team.

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Backwards. Williams was much faster than Elder. In fact Williams was recruited as an "athlete" not as QB. Plans were to possibly put him at WR.

September 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
QB CON TRO VER SEY

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Kep, I enjoy reading your posts and agree with a lot of what you have to say, but this is NOT a leadership issue. Having interviewed Armanti several times and seeing him work in both practice and games, there is NO WAY he is providing a leadership role right now. Nice young man, but he is still trying to figure everything out. He is being led. He barely has a grasp of the offense and has a hard time figuring out defenses right now. The leaders on the offense are guys like center Scott Suttle, tackle Matt Isenhour and tight end Daniel Bettis. A freshman QB would have to be the second coming of Johhny Unitas, or Bart Starr to come in and take over the leadership of the national champions. This is all about the talent of a young man, not about anything else. For all of the strengths of Jerry Moore as a coach, this was TOTALLY mishandled by a coaching staff that has created QB controversies more often than not during Moore's 18 years as coach.

The QB controversies have mostly been "Monday Morning QB" controversies from fans who never watch a practice.

Mishandling would have been moreso if we had tried to do anything great this season behind Elder.

gsugt1
September 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I can't wait to see that freshman play in Paulson :eek::nod:: smash :

boonedocks
September 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Normally, I'm content to lurk but i want to put in my :twocents: 1st, Trey did have a faster 40 time than richie, but was not as shifty when moving inside the pocket or eluding initial pressure. I was a little upset with the move to bench trey at first, but i will tell you that many players have more confidence in armanti than elder. This coming from more than a couple players. So i feel that may have had as much to do with it as anything else. Anyways i will resume my lurking.

Appstate03
September 27th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Well, we might as well not even play the game this year. A Furman fan says we're losing so let's just take a bye week and the loss and prepare for the Citadel. I mean there's no way Edwards will have enough experience by then to win any game, let alone a game against the high and mighty Paladins of Furman. We won't be able to run the ball either since that Kevin Richardson is garbage. Yep, without Richie on the team, we are awful. Lets not even talk about how inconsistant our defense is. I meanthose 9.75 points/game we've given up are awful. And who is this Murrell guy? What does he do for us?

youwouldno
September 27th, 2006, 06:10 PM
It will be hard for Furman to win in Boone. Unlike most teams, Furman is good enough to have a chance.

AppMan
September 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I think it is quite clear the offensive coaching staff is attempting to make this more of a running offense. They copied WVa's scheme and JM always has been a running coach. It is my belief they think Edwards is the second coming of Richie Williams and are giving him every advantage and opportunity to become the man. We've been over this a million times on the ASU boards, but my opinion is Elder was screwed in as much as he wasn't given the same set of circumstances (from an opponent standpoint) and play calling during the games he was in. Edwards was allowed to throw as many passes in one half as Trey did in two games. We will find out just how good Edwards is in a few weeks. Playing Furman, UTC and the other SoCon schools is a far cry from Mars Hill & Gardner Webb.

PaladinFan
September 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Well, we might as well not even play the game this year. A Furman fan says we're losing so let's just take a bye week and the loss and prepare for the Citadel. I mean there's no way Edwards will have enough experience by then to win any game, let alone a game against the high and mighty Paladins of Furman. We won't be able to run the ball either since that Kevin Richardson is garbage. Yep, without Richie on the team, we are awful. Lets not even talk about how inconsistant our defense is. I meanthose 9.75 points/game we've given up are awful. And who is this Murrell guy? What does he do for us?

didn't say the game shouldn't be played, only that I don't see Furman losing 5 straight.

ASU Kep
September 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
It will be hard for Furman to win in Boone. Unlike most teams, Furman is good enough to have a chance.

Couldn't of said it better. Minus the playoff games last year, I'm looking forward to 10/28 more than I've ever looked forward to a CFB game before. In all likelyhood the SOCON crown, playoff seeding, and a 22 game streak will be hanging in the balance. One month to go...

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I think it is quite clear the offensive coaching staff is attempting to make this more of a running offense. They copied WVa's scheme and JM always has been a running coach. It is my belief they think Edwards is the second coming of Richie Williams and are giving him every advantage and opportunity to become the man. We've been over this a million times on the ASU boards, but my opinion is Elder was screwed in as much as he wasn't given the same set of circumstances (from an opponent standpoint) and play calling during the games he was in. Edwards was allowed to throw as many passes in one half as Trey did in two games. We will find out just how good Edwards is in a few weeks. Playing Furman, UTC and the other SoCon schools is a far cry from Mars Hill & Gardner Webb.

The opponent dictated the play calling. Had Elder started vs Mars Hill, he would likely have ben given similar plays to Edwards.
If he was screwed, it went all the way back to pre-season when Edwards showed Elder up (in some ways) in scrimmages.
I've seen no black helicopters.

SoCon48
September 27th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Problem was Elder couldn't get off a freakin' pass.
The real screw job was Elder screwing himself out of the job in preseason.

Mr. C
September 28th, 2006, 02:50 AM
The QB controversies have mostly been "Monday Morning QB" controversies from fans who never watch a practice.

Mishandling would have been moreso if we had tried to do anything great this season behind Elder.
Not at all a correct accessment. How about the Satterfield-Yaudes-Hardy controversy of 93, the Arnold-Satterfield controversy of 94, the Satterfield-Hardy debate of 95, the Hardy-Baker controversy of 97, the Reaves-Jeremiah flip-flops of 98-99, and the Jeremiah-Reaves-Burchette merry-go-round of 2000. And that doesn't include the folks you talk about who thought Williams should start ahead of Burchette in 2002, that Elsener should replace Williams in 2003, and that Elder should have been put ahead of Williams in 2004. There is never a dull moment covering this team.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Not at all a correct accessment. How about the Satterfield-Yaudes-Hardy controversy of 93, the Arnold-Satterfield controversy of 94, the Satterfield-Hardy debate of 95, the Hardy-Baker controversy of 97, the Reaves-Jeremiah flip-flops of 98-99, and the Jeremiah-Reaves-Burchette merry-go-round of 2000. And that doesn't include the folks you talk about who thought Williams should start ahead of Burchette in 2002, that Elsener should replace Williams in 2003, and that Elder should have been put ahead of Williams in 2004. There is never a dull moment covering this team.

Exactly. You made my point. It's the "folks who talk about."

Not at all a correct accessment That's your opinion.

We were damned glad we had the "merry go round" in 2000 when Burchette stepped into the extremely hostile environment vs Montana in the 2000 semi-finals and came within a dropped pass of winning the game and going to the championship.
The back up quarterback always has fans who think he should be starting especially when the roster includes more than one touted player especially by the Monday morning coaches..
I don't recall it being called a "contoversey" when Jim Brakefield was experimenting with 5 QB's during pre-season, etc in the Roscoe Batts, et al era. In fact he often put in one type QB when we had to go to a passing game when the bone wasn't getting it done in catch up situations.
We were fortunate last year when we had two QB's who had received good playing time when Elder had to come in.
Same this year with Edwards and Elder. It's a plus not some trumped up bull**** fan controversey.
Elder has the experience. Edwards has speed, poise, and talent.

AppGuy04
September 28th, 2006, 07:36 AM
App fans will always talk, we all know this. Feel lucky that we have the talent to even have a "controversy" if thats what you want to call it. Alot schools don't have even 1 QB with the talent of Armanti or Trey.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 07:55 AM
App fans will always talk, we all know this. Feel lucky that we have the talent to even have a "controversy" if thats what you want to call it. Alot schools don't have even 1 QB with the talent of Armanti or Trey.

Totally agree. Can't have too many good QB's.
Bear Bryant, though, recruited tons of QB's, FB's. Extra QB's made good DB's. FB's great LB's.

AppMan
September 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
The opponent dictated the play calling. Had Elder started vs Mars Hill, he would likely have ben given similar plays to Edwards.
If he was screwed, it went all the way back to pre-season when Edwards showed Elder up (in some ways) in scrimmages.
I've seen no black helicopters.

That's a mighty interesting theory. So, what you are telling me is NC State & JMU dictated running Richardson into the middle of the line again and again out of a five wide, 1 back set. While Mars Hill dictated throwing the ball mored than the first two games combined? The offensive staff called about as conservative of games as I can ever remember against an ACC school and highly ranked 1-aa school. However, they open up the entire play book against a very bad D-II school & bottom rung 1-aa school? That makes a lot of sense! We allow Trey to throw the ball 14 times against NC State and 15 times vs JMU, but let Edwards throw 29 time vs Mars Hill? In addition, we ran absolutely NO motion or misdirection in the first two games. We opened up the MH game with the slot in motion and a pass down the middle. The rest of the play calling that day was very similar to what we were doing last year. I have no problem with Edwards, but to say Elder got an equal shot is simply not true.

AppMan
September 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Problem was Elder couldn't get off a freakin' pass.
The real screw job was Elder screwing himself out of the job in preseason.

Well, it is mighty hard to get a pass off when you are running for your life. That Wolfpack D-line poured through our O-line like $#!% through a goose, sacked Elder 4 times and forced him to run several other times. Our All American running back could only average 2.4 yards per carry, but I don't see him getting pulled. Against JMU Trey managed to get off enough passes to complete more than 50% of those he attempted. BTW, I'm curious as to how many preseason practices did you see in order to realize how Elder screwed himself out of the job?

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Well, it is mighty hard to get a pass off when you are running for your life. That Wolfpack D-line poured through our O-line like $#!% through a goose, sacked Elder 4 times and forced him to run several other times. Our All American running back could only average 2.4 yards per carry, but I don't see him getting pulled. Against JMU Trey managed to get off enough passes to complete more than 50% of those he attempted. BTW, I'm curious as to how many preseason practices did you see in order to realize how Elder screwed himself out of the job?

Exactly. His lack of time certainly dictated what kinds of plays we could run. That's common sense. Hell, he was hit almost as soon as he got the ball or made the hand off.
As to the RB. Who do we have that can push him for his slot?????????I'm sure if someone should surface who is more dependable , he would take over. Coaches aren't normally going to start their second best player.
Pre-season practices? I was in Boone for a week during pre-season and saw 3 practices on 2 diff days. Also for the first intra squad scrimmage. plus one in the Spring. Does that answer your question?
Personally, I didn't see anyone out distance anyone else at the QB or RB slots. Fumbles, interceptions and sacks outshone any differences.
"Screwed himself out of his job" may be the wrong choice of words, but so is in my opinion all these black helicopter conspiracy theories and accusations of "hose jobs." Several fans commented from watching the scrimmages that one or more QB's out performed Trey. Most of the posters thought it was simply from Trey's arm not being fully recovered/rehabbed from the shoulder surgery.
Trey controlls his own destiny much more so than any "conspiracies" fans might conjure up. If he steps up and proves he is better, he can certainly earn the job back.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
That's a mighty interesting theory. So, what you are telling me is NC State & JMU dictated running Richardson into the middle of the line again and again out of a five wide, 1 back set. While Mars Hill dictated throwing the ball mored than the first two games combined? The offensive staff called about as conservative of games as I can ever remember against an ACC school and highly ranked 1-aa school. However, they open up the entire play book against a very bad D-II school & bottom rung 1-aa school? That makes a lot of sense! We allow Trey to throw the ball 14 times against NC State and 15 times vs JMU, but let Edwards throw 29 time vs Mars Hill? In addition, we ran absolutely NO motion or misdirection in the first two games. We opened up the MH game with the slot in motion and a pass down the middle. The rest of the play calling that day was very similar to what we were doing last year. I have no problem with Edwards, but to say Elder got an equal shot is simply not true.
Geez. It's pretty obvious we could run about anything we wanted to vs MH and much more vs JMU compared to NCSU. Misdirection plays are pretty futile when the QB is flat on his back 2 seconds after the snap.
BTW. I also saw KR trying to run outside more than once with two defenders waiting to throw him for a loss. His patented fake to the inside and going off tackle were met with 290 pound tackles bumping him in the chest.

You're right, Elder did not got an equal shot. Unfortunately he started vs NCSU.
Now Elder is pretty much relegated to proving himself in practice. Hopefully he isn't standing around bitching and moaning in practice like so many fans are doing.

boonedocks
September 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Trey is definately not standing around in practice. The team is practicing hard to prepare for elon on saturday. Armanti and Trey split the snaps with 1st team O about 60/40. Also one of the main reasons for the switch is that the team has more confidence in Armanti, and does so b/c of his performance in camp and practice, before he ever took a game snap.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Trey is definately not standing around in practice

I knew he wasn't and wouldn't but had to toss in a little player to fan comparison to make a point.

boonedocks
September 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I knew he wasn't and wouldn't but had to toss in a little player to fan comparison to make a point.

Understood, it just happened to also help my point about the team practicing hard. :)

SoCon48
September 29th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Trey is definately not standing around in practice. The team is practicing hard to prepare for elon on saturday. Armanti and Trey split the snaps with 1st team O about 60/40. Also one of the main reasons for the switch is that the team has more confidence in Armanti, and does so b/c of his performance in camp and practice, before he ever took a game snap.

Also one of the main reasons for the switch is that the team has more confidence in Armanti, and does so b/c of his performance in camp and practice, before he ever took a game snap.

Good to hear you say that. Looks like you don't buy into the conspiracy theories about the staff deliberately trying to make Trey look bad in games by the play calling.